• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Curse of Strahd

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
"Fuck you, assholes," Setesh mutters under his breath as he glares at Karl's and Dynis's backs, too silent for them to hear. He doesn't want to start a fight, because this is not the time for one, but he needs some relief desperately. The fact that he finds himself in the company of a goody goody knight, who can't even slay a wolf, yet faces every danger happily in the name of bravery, and a mindless jerk who doesn't value his own life and is willing to risk it out of mere boredom… Un-fucking-believable.

He draws in a deep breath, assuming that trying to chance the gate alone would truly be useless. "Yeah. Come on then. Let's be dinner!" he exclaims sarcastically, dutifully following Arala. At least -she- tried. "It's definitely going to be fun." he smiles in a way that one would almost believe he is lookingb forward to what's about to pass. "If the wolves are the size of a horse, we can ride them to town, right? I haven't ridden a wolf yet." To be honest, the idea does seem a little funny.

Last edited:
With the decision made, you retrace your steps back through the forest. After a time, the oppressive woods give way to open fields on either side of the road. You cannot see the fields, but the small sounds and conversations you’re making seem to disappear into the open around you.

Evening approaches. The gray gloom slips further and further into darkness. The mist rolls and reaches all around you.

After walking for some time, the gravel road leads to a village, its tall houses dark as tombstones. Nestled among these solemn dwellings are a handful of closed-up shops. Even the tavern is shut tight. A soft whimpering draws your eye toward a pair of children standing in the middle of an otherwise lifeless street.

MechanicalSnake MechanicalSnake , Vanira Vanira , Gaius Danius Griinia Gaius Danius Griinia , Wondertainment Wondertainment , dae mec dae mec , ArcticFox ArcticFox

This, Setesh decides as he drags himself behind the others to wherever the wolves and vampires want them, is his last adventure with this group. It hardly helps him to prove himself to his people, anyway. Once they get out of this mess, he will find a powerful king or earl and offer them his services. If he proves himself, he'll have a chance to climb up the social ladder and hopefully learn valuable information and a fair deal of influence.

For that to happen, though, he'll have to kill or outsmart a village full of vampires. Although on first sight, the place looks positively empty, devoid of any life or unlife, which could mean that either the inhibitants are dead already, or completely scared. Good news: there is a tavern. The fact that it seems to be shut doesn't mean a thing, because in an empty village, all they have to do is force their way in.

Setesh makes a bee line for the door, when he realizes they are not as alone here as he had previously thought. "Of course there are two spooky kids right in the middle of this shithole," he sighs, subconsciously keeping his voice down. "I suggest we leave them alone and make camp in the taveern over there. But if someone, such as the knight in shining optimistic armor, wants to help them, make sure to stay away from their teeth."

Arala holds back a sigh. Oh dear, she can feel the flames of discontent among their party already. She hopes it doesn't lead to conflict, but she isn't going to bet on it. Arala has a soft spot for children, and she wants to help them, but... children, especially full-human ones, don't have a soft spot for her. Despite her best efforts to make herself as nonthreatening as possible, they tend to run away screaming. Especially in small villages such as these. (Maybe it's the tusks?)

"I think someone else should approach them," she says diplomatically. "I don't have the best record with kids." Her lips twitch at Setesh's exasperated comment, and she adds, just as low, "I don't know, Setesh. I feel like ignoring the two whimpering children might be an equally poor decision. At least someone should find out what's wrong. They might be able to explain why this town is so empty."

Arala starts walking to the tavern, stops, and looks back. "We can try to see if there's anyone inside, I suppose." She tests the door handle.

Without thinking about it, Dynis strides forward to greet the children. A whimper is never a good sign, these little ones might need help, and she'd feel terrible if she just passed by them. Ignoring the comment sent in her direction, she goes on ahead to see what happened with the children.

"Hello." She puts on her most charismatic smile. "Is everything okay? You are not hurt or lost?"

You can see the older of the two children is a ten-year-old girl. She’s hushing her seven-year-old brother who crying and clutching his stuffed doll.

Dynis, you approach and speak.

After shushing the boy, the girl turns to you and says, "There's a monster in our house!" She then points to a tall brick row house that has seen better days. Its windows are dark. It has a gated portico on the ground floor, and the rusty gate is slightly ajar. The houses on either side are abandoned, their windows and doors boarded up.

What do you do or say?

These are the children:
1586838738598.png

MechanicalSnake MechanicalSnake , Vanira Vanira , Gaius Danius Griinia Gaius Danius Griinia , Wondertainment Wondertainment , dae mec dae mec , ArcticFox ArcticFox

The appearance of the children makes her pause for a moment, but then again, everything has been strange since she started following the group.

"A monster?" Dynis asks curiously. Could this have been the great quest that Morninglord has set her on? Defeating an evil monster and saving children? Somehow, it didn't seem so glorious yet. "What kind of a monster?" She asks again, glancing at the house.

The girl pulls her brother closer. "We don't know. We haven't seen it. Only heard it. It had the most terrible horrible howls. Like--like it was it was going to tear the house apart. Please help us! Walter, our brother is still inside! Please!"

Riona, you notice (passive perception) the mist around you all starting to roil and thicken. It creeps between the buildings of the village and starts to fold in around you all. It's ever so subtle, but it is happening.

"Of course we'll help you." Dynis says before consulting anyone. Children were in danger and there was a monster on the loose, who wouldn't choose to help?

Arala and Setesh, you head down the street in the direction of the tavern. A single shaft of light thrusts illumination into the main square, its brightness looking like a solid pillar in the heavy fog. Above the gaping doorway, a sign hangs precariously askew, proclaiming this to be the “Blood on the Vine“ tavern.

When you get to the door, you see the sign originally read “Blood of the Vine”. The ’f’ was scratched over with an ‘n’. The door is unlocked. When the door is opened, light spills into the street from a roaring hearth.

There are people inside.

Do you go in?

Last edited:
Arala hesitates by the door. She heard what the children had said, and learning that there's another child inside that's in danger... she sighs. Arala already knows what Setesh is going to say to her suggestion.

"Why don't you go inside and find out more about this town?" she asks, resigned. "There's something odd going around here. I won't be much help with that, though. I'll go with the paladin." She reaches into her pouch and pulls out a few coins. "I'd appreciate if you'd buy me some stew, or whatever passes for food in this place. I have a feeling I'll need something warm after this."

"Feast on bones, feast on bones!" cackles her bird.

"Do you want to take Angel Bones with you?" says Arala. "He might be useful to communicate."

Setesh doesn't even sigh this time, because the development of things has always been very predictable. "The children look like death," he points out, full aware that his words won't change anything, but they might at least serve as a warning. "There might be a reason why no one has helped them yet. You take Angel Bones, so that I can come and save your ass when they start gnawing at you."

He accepts the coins, because why not, and puts on his most pleasant face. Occasionally, if he really wants, he can be quite charming and friendly. It's one of the things he'd been taught as a youth; people expect certain emotions of you and if you want something from them, you need to be able to simulate those emotions. Luckily, he rarely ever needs to do so.

Aware that humans are often afraid of snakes, he allows Akasha to disappear and carefully enters, turning over his shoulder to throw one last look at the children. Yep, still creepy. Then the door falls shut behind him and pleasent warmth starts fighting the chill he hadn't even been aware of. "Good evening," he says with a polite nod, adding a smile that doesn't let his fangs show, and automatically heads to the bar.

1586965129958.png Young man sitting by himself Inside the tavern:
Setesh, you step into the tavern and greet those inside. Despite the roaring hearth, the warmth is stifiled. It's chilled in here and the edeges of the room seem invaded by shadow.

Five souls huddle in here. The barkeep, a small pudgy man, doesn't even look up when you enter or greet the room. He continues wiping his glasses. Three Vistani women sit together at a table near you at the door. One of them fixes you with her icy eyes, nods, and gives you slight smile.

At a back table, a young man sits by himself. He sits up and waves you over.

"Hello!" he says. "Please, join me."

Back at the children:
1586965213205.png Children's house Arala, you head back to the others with the children.

The children lead you all a short ways down the street to their house. They stop in front of the an old row house close to the middle of the street. The houses on either side are abandoned and boarded up. A wrought-iron gate with hinges fills the archway of the house's stone portico.

The mists continue to thicken engulfing the rest of the village. Before long, even the houses on either side of the children's house have disappeared. It continues to thicken, pressing against you. Stifling you.

"Mother and father have the monster trapped in the basement!" the girl says. "Walter in his nursery on the third floor! Please hurry!"

A smile flickers on Arala's face at Setesh's wry comment, but she nodds and takes Angel Bones with her. She follows the others but hesitates by the door. This mist... there's something encroaching about it. Familiar, unfamiliar, wrong. She opens up her senses, not reaching for magic yet, but seeking understanding.

Perception: 10+1 = 11

Arala, you cast your spell and your sight is assaulted by the aura all around you. Everywhere you look, the mist is lit up with strong magic. You can’t seem to pinpoint the school of magic, however.

You also see an aura around the house itself, but again, you’re unable to nail down the school of magic.

But then, when you look back at the children, they have an illusion magic aura emanating from them.

"Well," says Arala slowly, glancing to her companions. One had goes to her axe, even as she reaches for magic a third time this day. (She can feel herself reaching to her limits; after one more, she'll have to rely on her cantrips.) "I don't think it will surprise anyone to know that the mist is magical, and the house has one too. The children are surrounded by an aura of illusion magic, however. That's not a good sign."

She looks steadily at the children. Arala fears and suspects that this might be either a trap, or that someone had cast magic on them. Either possibility is not promising. "Do you know why?"

Arala, the children look up at you.

”Magic?” says the girl. ”What do you mean? My brother and I don’t know any magic!” She sees the way you’re looking at them and pulls her brother behind her defensively. “We don’t want any trouble. We need help! My baby brother NEEDS your help! If you don’t want to help, then leave us be!”

Setesh is ever so slightly pleased he got two at least partly positive reactions; especially the guy in the corner seems eager to talk, even thought that doesn't necessarily mean he plans to be telling the truth. For what Setesh knows, he may very well be part of the complot, even if he looks a little too lively to be undead. Which can't be said about the atmosphere in that place. The everpresent doom and gloom is getting old; back at home, things looked dark and univiting as well, but no one was excessively scared or depressed because of it. Here, people looked like they'd shit themselves if you whispered "boo" in their ear.

"That's very kind of you," he replies to the young man with a nod of agreement. "I will in a little while." The barkeep doesn't look like he intends to serve the tables and Setesh suspects that if he wants to drink something tonight, he'll gave to ask for it in a very direct manner. With that in mind, he approaches the bar, tilting his head in an inquisitive manner, and taps his fingers on the desk. "Hello. The sign said something about blood and wine. I'd prefer the latter." He gives the woman who'd registered him a side glance, making sure she notices. Exotic, probably calloused and fond of tricks, definitely attractive.

Last edited:
Setesh, the barkeep looks up at you and doesn’t say anything. Keeping his silence, he pours you a glass of wine and slides it to you.

“Two silver,” he finally says.

“No, no,” calls the man at the corner table. “Put it in my tab. Come sit, friend.” He beckons to you again.

The pudgy barkeep goes back to mindlessly cleaning glasses.

Last edited:
Karl followed the children, but stayed silent and stared suspiciously at the two children.

"That makes sense. Something about them rubbed me the wrong way."

Karl moves fearfully towards the kids and makes a move to poke the girl's shoulder.

Alright, now that is suspicious. Setesh is quite sure that despite his best efforts to appear charming, he couldn't have made such an impression on this guy to be sponsored. However, he won't say no to a free glass. With a polite thanks, he unglues himself from the bar and moves in the direction of this mysterious young man.

"Thank you," he says with a smile as he lowers himself in a chair, placing the glass in front of himself. "I take it things are pretty boring in these parts?" That is the only plausible explanation why a man would buy another man a drink; he must be starved for company, or literally any form of entertainment. The other option is the guy is a part of the elaborate trap, which Setesh keeps in mind as he attempts to strike a conversation.

"It's nice to see a friendly face here. I've only just arrived but, I hope you'll forgive me if I say the town doesn't make a nice overall first impression." Maybe the guy has also gotten a letter. Wouldn't that be funny?

Karl, the girl recoils from your touch, but you proceed anyway. Before you make contact, she and her brother vanish.

You’re all alone in the oppressive mists with the house in front of you.

Setesh, the stranger sips his own wine. “No it does not,” he says. “I, uh...I’m not normally so forward. Really. I just thought maybe you’d be able to help me protect my sister. Did you travel alone?”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back