• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Creature Collector

shieldman

Verber of Nouns
The Basic Idea: You all know the genre: a bunch of monsters in the wild, with a select few who want to cram them into carrying devices and travel with them. Pokémon, Digimon, Monster Rancher, the list goes on. I personally love the whole idea, and was hoping to run a kind of fandom-agnostic take on it! I've been putting together a whole bunch of low-res sprite creatures in my spare time, and thought they'd be interesting to play with in a freeform RP setting.

The General Plot: A strange land, far away from the small human settlements, is finally discovered by a band of adventurers. This land is covered in all manner of odd and wondrous creatures with unique powers! However, their first encounter was with a sea-serpent of a creature that destroyed their boat and stranded them in this place. They decided to establish a home there and their descendants now use specially crafted magic to tame the creatures. You, naturally, play as one of these Collectors!

Gameplay: As a Collector, you must outsmart and capture a creature to begin your journey. (No professors handing them out here!) Once you've gotten the hang of the spells to tame creatures, you can start to get a following of up to four of them, each with different abilities and powers. These aren't divided into discrete "moves", as much as being tools in the creature's bag. Instead of "Flamethrower" having a fixed effect, a creature can breathe fire in any creative way you can tell it to.

There are eight types: Water, Fire, Earth, Sky, Plant, Metal, Soul, and Gel. A creature can have either one or two types, and it's usually very apparent from the get-go what it is. For instance:

WO0oTDZ.png

This is Larava. It's a Fire/Earth creature, making it thunderous and resolute in its behavior and battle style alike. When a Larava has fought, learned, or developed a deep enough bond with someone, it can change its form into something even more powerful.

s6ysUhX.png

This is Pelerupt. A Pelerupt can lob fireballs and rupture the ground in a spectacular fashion, as befitting the spirit of a volcano. It is Larava's advanced form, which also grants it increased magical energy and toughness in battle. Yes, it's essentially evolution, but the spirit of the creature is the same.

Conclusion: Do you like having a small team of neato monsters? Do you like magical fantasy worlds? Do you like FULL COLOR 16x32 PIXEL ART? If so, this is the RP for you!

Thanks! It's a concept I've been kicking around for a while, so it's something I would love to get more people's opinions on.

Excellence! Sometime tomorrow I'll set up the RP and send everyone invites. I look forward to starting this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back