Advice/Help Creating Races and Other Questions for a Mass RP(Like a lot of them..)

LiviathRose

Eliminating the Heart
I currently been working on an RP idea that has a lot detail into it, something that I want to be long lasting and always open for more of a mature audience. But I have a lot of questions;

1: When it comes to creating races, what information would be important to a player and what would people like to read about a race they would be interested in playing?
2: How do you manage a large group roleplay without leaving people waiting for their "turn"?
3: What about a roleplay keeps people interested and when is it "too much"?
4: More for helpers or mods, but, if I wanted to find someone to help me create this Roleplay, where would I post? Is this forum okay?
  • Nonchalantly: It's a Sci-Fi Fantasy RP where each race is going through a dangerous issues that could potentially kill off their race which is bringing them together to find the source. So basic right now.
*All writing is in an attachment format because it comes from my OneNote app and it prevent a large page in a spoiler. I didn't add the cyboris yet.

5: Having a specific req for posting a turn off for players? Like 2 paragraph min.

I had more questions but I forgot some of them... :I Oops. Thanks in advance for helping!

So just a heads up the race docs aren’t showing up at all. Are they images or word documents?

1. I find you keep it to relevant information for the plot to start with. Your players will ask additional questions as needed so all you need to do is start with the elevator pitch. Basically if you had like five minutes to describe your race what is the main information you want to get across?

2. This is down to organization.
A. You need to figure out a method for progressing the story in a set schedule (ex. Every week you time skip to a new scene/mission/etc.).
B. You need a plan in place for when people leave (ex. If you don’t post for two weeks your character is killed off or turned into an NPC that can be used by the group)
C. You can implement a 24 hour rule and post groups. Ask your players their time zone and hours of availability. Break everyone down into groups with others that are online at the same time. Each group gets 24 hours to post before responses are required.

3. This is purely subjective so I can’t help you there.

4. Yeah you would post requests for a Mod/co-GM here.

5. Don’t worry about turning off players. When it comes to groups it’s always quality over quantity. It’s better to have only four people that can follow the rules than 20 people you accept just because you need players. Make up a series of requirements that will make your roleplay enjoyable for the participants and don’t worry if some people might not make the cut.

I include things like lifespan, distinguishing markings/appearance and pregnancy gestation. Some I make simple notes of, others I write out full lore. Perhaps include something about their culture and customs. If needed government can be thrown in later.

I created a posting order originally for an rp with tied to but set fat in the past of my book series I am writing. This was done originally as I did not think that anyone would join, two people expressed interest but didn’t make characters. In the past, I have made side threads/as threads where anyone can post, however nobody took up those threads for rping. So that is an option.

A plot and several more in the works I find keeps it interesting. Having a posting requirement helps, my rps tend to have once a week required posting to them. I once had arp where I did several future plants, planning out but the rp died. I am doing quests, choices and semi plot in the one based on my book series. In my other rp, I actively get my players’ input and we may come up with plots in the future together. Currently there is one big plot and then side plots all around that. Again you can also do au threads as well.

I am not sure. I choose trusted people I have typed with before or am friends with who I know are active to be staff.

It depends I think. My required posting for my rp Bone Song is leaders (alpha and beta) post twice a week. Regular pack posts once a week. Of course I just limit text/chat speak, actions and words (*Sees Sandy and waves* “Hi Sandy. Did you see that movie last night?” *Walks over and sits next to Sandy* as an example), and no one-liners. Also tagging is required to know who one is speaking to. If you expect people to post every day, they just are not going to be able to do that. I don’t think 2 paragraphs is too much.

rae2nerdy rae2nerdy
Capture+_2019-09-17-15-24-20.pngthis is what I see on my screen. It's just file attachments and you click on them. They are images because OneNote doesn't transfer my text over. I have no clue why. It turns what I highlight into an image.

Thank you both for your answers. This helps me a bit and think more about certain things. Defo a progression. :)

So when I click on the attachments this pops up

Screenshot_2019-09-17-15-32-09.png

Additionally when it comes to text I would stay away from picture backgrounds. They make it hard to read the information for the roleplay. It's fine to have a header but backgrounds should be solid colors.

Can you save one note and upload it to like Google docs or something? You can link Google docs directly

1: When it comes to creating races, what information would be important to a player and what would people like to read about a race they would be interested in playing?

1. Appearance, reputation and abilities. It’s not like other things aren’t valued at all, but they tend to depend more on specific player interests. Culture, for instance, tends to be almost entirely ignored in favor of whatever the player wants to make their backstory like, unless it’s an extremely stressed out factor ( even then a lot of people just ignore it) .

There tends to be one of two things- either people have a predefined idea of what sort of character/race/etc... they would like to play, or they take a more game-like approach, so what the character looks like and what they can, advantages and disadvantages tend to be the bigger factors in general. Of course, there are still exceptions.

I would say I am one such exception, but that's because I value consistency as a golden rule and love worldbuilding. So I will look as deep as I can into the lore of a species, and hopefully not get bored of it. What tends to decide what race I use is often when ideas start coming into my head with all the possibilities with them and their mechanics.

In any case, try focusing on what's 'special' about the *player* getting that race if you want to sell it to them. What's the appeal, what do they get to have and do and be?

2: How do you manage a large group roleplay without leaving people waiting for their "turn"?

2. Removing it completely is plain impossible. After all, so long as two people are interacting, you inevitably fall into the risk of one of them having to stop for whatever reason. Increase time and number of interactions, boom, recipe for people having to wait pretty much nomatter what you do.

Which isn't to say there isn't a way to improve efficiency, and in that sense I think rae2nerdy rae2nerdy 's middle suggestion is pretty great, I use it myself in fact, though I would disagree with his other two (actively splitting your group is something that is very very dangerous from my experience, as a GM, as for reasons I haven't quite figured out yet players become a less proactive during such times).

Waiting times is one big reason for why a healthy OOC is so paramount for a healthy group RP. If players can keep hanging out and chatting even when they aren't actively participating in the RP because they need to wait or whatever other reason, this can greatly help keep their interest.

3: What about a roleplay keeps people interested and when is it "too much"?

3.That's a very broad question with extremely individual answers, so I'll just give my personal one. What tends to keep me interested in an RP is a combination of things:
*A healthy OOC with a generally friendly environment and players who discuss the RP at points
*Posts which consistently work for my style of RP (I need 'em big and juicy, or they just seem bland to me)
*the RP needs to be one I can keep up with in terms of pacing. I can put all kinds of work, but doing faster is just not feasible for me.
*GM envolving me with the narrative. I don't like just being a replaceable token. I like it when GMs craft stuff that involves my characters and their backstory, when they make use of the tools I leave through likes, dislikes and general personality, when they engage with my character and their arcs. Naturally, I also love it when other players do it.

Of these things, I don't see how they would be "too much".

I would like to also point out one thing which doesn't keep players interested: Your story. This is not personal of course, but while a plot may draw players in, what keeps them going is their own stuff. Even if a player happens to be invested in learning about the mysteries of your story and world, or if they really want to see the bad guy defeated or whatever else, never count on these things to carry the roleplay on their own.

4: More for helpers or mods, but, if I wanted to find someone to help me create this Roleplay, where would I post? Is this forum okay?
Yeah this forum is ok. Another common practice is to state that you are looking for one in the interest check itself though.

5: Having a specific req for posting a turn off for players? Like 2 paragraph min.
Depends on the players, and I usually say, the player's level of detail. Player's on a more casual level of the detail spectrum (which are most of them) for instance, aren't the biggest fans of posting requirements, and will usually just have a 1 paragraph requirement to avoid one-liner types. However, more detailed-oriented RPers such as myself actually cherish such requirements, as they can serve as a filter that gives us more confident of getting what we want out of posts in your roleplay.

I explain more on these mentalities here: Other - Simple, Casual and Detailed Mindsets - An explanation

Hope this helps, best of luck, and happy RPing!

PS: Maybe you could screen shot the text from your application?

export-0001.png
Kiphling

Also known as the "Star Race" or "Children of the Stars"

Kiphlings are child-like beings who are much older than they may appear as they stop ageing around the age of thirteen (13). They are believed to be the embodiment of the stars from numerous of different galaxies giving each Kiphling their own unique share of wisdom. What one Kiphling may know, another may not. There are no variants of the Kiphling as they are similar to humans and as such do have various of different appearances. The few common traits of the Kiphling to help distinguish them aside from the youthful body, is their unusual *light tone from their skin to their hair. It was unusual to see a Kiphling who had a neutral-dark tone matching just about every other humanoid species. Their iris are also lighter and sometimes believed to glow at certain emotional states. This is believed to be, because of the radiating light from the star they protect within.
The Oldest living Kiphling is currently recorded at around three hundred (300) years old and is the only race that is considered purely spiritual with psychic abilities. Kiphlings believe they are a living capsule to a star in space and are granted special gifts for protecting the stars. While it is not confirmed, it has become their reasonable belief. Every decade, the race as a whole celebrates a day of darkness where they do not use any light sources to honor the fallen stars that have died out which are believed to be a Kiphling that has passed. They are highly advanced when it comes to technology making them on par with the Cyboris if not better but stick to a more ancient-way of living trying to maintain the way of the Ancestors. Unfortunately, with their beliefs and powers, it makes Kiphlings highly sought after either it be friendly or not.
Kiphlings lack in any sort of physical capabilities and cannot wield most weapons except for wands, and Natura-Spheres making them more of a non-combatant race. However, all Kiphlings have some sort of psychic capability but not all are proficient or have low grade powers leaving them to rely on the weapons they can use. Yet it is NOT recommended as they would more than likely lack true skill. Thus, most if not all Kiphlings who were considered the "shy star", remained as commoners or shopkeepers of sorts.

Home Planet: Kiphlings come from the home planet of Lumios, a very bright and flourishing planet that is more fantasy than anything. Kiphlings are highly into all things wildlife and have constructed their own version of cybernetic animals. These animals are strikingly similar to Earth's other than they are noticeably robotic. Even the trees and other plants seem to have an unnatural feel to them, yet still vibrant and beautiful.

Note: A "Bright Star" refers to a Kiphling who excels in their psychic capabilities and are able to perform heavier tasks. A "Shy Star" refers to a Kiphling who were not able to perform well with their psychic capabilities or had "useless" skills.

Restrictions: Kiphlings cannot perform a lot of physically demanding tasks as they have the body of a human child. They are more prone to injury.
Advantages: Aside from their psychic skills, Kiphlings can fit into small areas and can be harder to hit from larger species.

Notable Traits: Kiphlings are more child-like mentally but can be mature dependent on the way they were raised and sometimes, age. They are no taller than four feet. (4')

rae2nerdy rae2nerdy Here. :)
I can put it over onto Docs and do it that way but when I was pasting it into my code, the code broke and said "no slide". I was so frustrated. But OneNote puts a something like a div box around it making it easy to read. So I was going to do it like that. Guess I'll have to figure something else out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back