Character Theory Creating character goals

grimmmy

holy work
I want to at least try giving my characters clear, intrinsic goals from now on. It's such a hugely emphasized thing in creative writing: even OWL Purdue has a section on "Writing Compelling Characters" that puts character goals at the top priority. But I've rarely seen a RP where players are encouraged to clarify their character's goals in the sign-up phase. (When I have seen it, there have been responses like "They want to make friends," or "They want to stop the bad guy," which aren't the intrinsic goals I'm talking about.) It could be more of an OOC plotting thing? Or maybe, more generally, motivations are an assumed thing? Maybe when the plot is fluid, the characters' motivations are also fluid?

For the people who like developing your RP characters, I would like to know whether you take character goals into account for your characters, why or why not, and, if so, whether it's made a significant difference for you. Do you think characters that want something specific, those according to most writing advice, are inherently more three-dimensional/believable than characters that... don't necessarily, in a RP setting?

Do I take them into consideration:
Absolutely! For me understanding the 'why' is just as, if not almost more important than the what, for maintaining a consistent character. It's very hard for me to know how my character would react to something without understanding their underlying motivations. I also find their core wants help me to identify things like insecurities and points of pride.

Do I think they make them more believable:
Yes and no. I think they make MY characters more believable, because I struggle to give them depth without core desires and fears. But I have had RPPs over the years who haven't used a want-based system who have pulled off incredible characters. There's almost always going to be more than one means to an end. The way I write my characters is heavily informed by classic literary forms of character building, but I've seen more RP-Specific systems that also create beautiful results.

Most of my more well thought out characters have deeper goals, like getting stronger at battling and understanding battle tactics to get rid of the feeling of being helpless for themselves or when trying to help others (basically get stronger to fight insecurities). Others I have just created follow the basic template of "I'm going to be the best at [insert thing here]" because that's the plot. However, their goals start to change, and they align with their personality and backstory. Whatever happens in their past can push them or hinder them from performing at their best in a certain subject.

Goals change as we grow older, and the same can be said for our characters as things are said and made. I wanted to be an archaeologist or a veterinarian when I got older. Then I wanted to become a cop, a geneticist, then a Youtuber, and now an author. Goals for our characters should also be fluid in this regard. If they have shaky long-term goals, their long-term goals will be as most characters' short-term goals (or water).

...okay, maybe I should take the energy that compels me to reference the OWL at Purdue for glorified chat RP and reroute that into actually writing a novel. My first post does not sit well with me now.

I might revisit this after I put the imposter syndrome away and when I can approach roleplaying as a hobby, not as a coping mechanism.

But I've rarely seen a RP where players are encouraged to clarify their character's goals in the sign-up phase.

Well, like a lot of things it's something that is kind of taken as a given- Those aware that a character should have a motivation tend to take it as common sense, while those who are not aware of such wouldn't notice it missing. So neither camp is particularly inclining to thinking it needs to be specifically told. Heck, even when someone does notice it is missing, the most common approach I've seen is "Well, it's not like they have to specify it in the character sheet as long as they actually have a motivation in their head".

Surprisingly, this might be one of the few times I'm inclined to agree with that statement. Often I don't think one needs to make the motivation of the character explicit as in "I want this". In fact, I think I would have a very hard time doing it for some of the characters I'm most proud of. Mostly on account of the fact that I'm not a trained psychologist and likely lack the necessary vocabulary to express what the motivations I envisioned for those characters actually are.

It could be more of an OOC plotting thing?

I would say this depends on your writing style. Someone who's more of a planner such as myself will have a more OOC approach to character design in general, and this includes the motivation. While I do make sure the motivation stays consistent with the character, I deliberately make the choice of what it is to bring out interesting aspects of the story, character or setting (or more than one of course). On the other hand, more by-the-seat-of-their-pants type writers will more likely just focus on whatever motivation makes most sense for feeling they get for the character.

It's the difference between asking "What would make sense and be useful for the character to want?" versus "What would the character want?" (note "would want" is distinct from "wants" here, as I will be mentioning what a character wants a lot and that is referring to something you chose). There are upsides and downsides to both methods of course, so its advisable to choose one that works best with the method of writing you're more comfortable with.

Or maybe, more generally, motivations are an assumed thing?

Though I may have answered some of this in the above response, I feel that the meaning of "assumed" in that question is a bit different - Meaning that, rather than one assuming you do have a motivation in mind, what is being assumed is that a motivation exists even if none is being thought out.

If this is the case, then I'd say unfortunately yeah, a lot of people don't actually think about what the character's goal is. Personally though, I never assume it', it's an integral part of designing a character for me, though indeed goals need not be particularly specific. A goal to overcome one's loneliness is just as valid as one to get revenge or travel to some place.

Maybe when the plot is fluid, the characters' motivations are also fluid?

To be honest I am not sure what you mean by the plot being fluid?

For the people who like developing your RP characters, I would like to know whether you take character goals into account for your characters, why or why not, and, if so, whether it's made a significant difference for you. Do you think characters that want something specific, those according to most writing advice, are inherently more three-dimensional/believable than characters that... don't necessarily, in a RP setting?

I wouldn't say it made a difference only because I've always made my characters have goals. My first character's goal was to survive on their own by getting their hands on delicious garbage. I would say my character's goals have become a growing part of how I make them lately, especially in D&D characters, in which those motivations really drive their story, justify their presence in a campaign and often are important to define the kind of abilities they get as they grow.

Do I think the presence of goals makes a character more three-dimensional and believe? To an extent. It's true that people do have goals and motivations, but real life people aren't that dedicated to a single purpose most of the time, we're more sporadic. Likewise, any character focusing on a single thing will require a significantly deep exploration before that is a valuable trade-off to a degree of complexity. However, if a character does have complexity either way, then adding a motivation to that does make them more three-dimensional.

That being said, I wouldn't say by far that is the biggest reason to have character goals / motivation. Direction is. Sure, a motivation can help fleshing out a character, but if you do not know what your character wants then odds that, you're either gonna get stuck and not know what to do, or you will fall back on the "what do I want" trap. Not being able to take the initiative, or turning your character into a sock puppet that moves along what you want and not what works with said character. Direction also helps you shape the character's arc and progress as they are exposed to the RP/story.

There are many reasons for me to pick goals or motivations. Sometimes those goals are what the character is built around, the initial idea that got me going. Sometimes they help me direct the character's progress to where I want it to go. And one of the ones I tend to love most, is when a motivation helps expose and confront the character's emotional hang-ups.

I always take my character's goals into account. But I usually keep them to myself because I find that doing so helps me remain more focused on just enjoying the experience and letting the secret desires of my character play out more naturally with the other participants.

The more the other participants know of what my character wants, the less dynamic and natural their own characters' interactions will be with my own character because now that they know there's an agenda at play, whether or not they even realize it.

Romance, for example, is the easiest culprit to point towards. Let's say that one person has a female character I really like and I want my male character to romance her. If I were to make that public, then the other player might be tempted to play along and they may force unnatural conversations or interactions that normally wouldn't happen if I just kept it to myself and let the characters and their bond develop dynamically.

I would much prefer the honest and dynamic experience to a contrived one where others want my character to get what they have been publicly admitted to wanting and take steps to help it happen even if and when it ventures outside the realm of believability.

Hopefully that made sense.

One of my main characters has a very clear goal. She wants to destroy the world and kill all of humanity because her brother ruined her love life... he just wants to ruin all her love lives because she ruined his...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back