Connection Between the Character and Yourself

Semblance

↣↣↠◇↞↢↢
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Please excuse my psychological analysis on almost everything in my life. After all, that is my major (one of them) :)

Anyway, I'm sure that we all have specific types of characters that we all find ourselves gravitating towards when it comes time to make a character sheet.

For example- the flirty outgoing one, the brooding edgy one, the self-conscious quiet one, the artistic spontaneous one, the arrogant rude one, etc.

I have a theory that the type of character we naturally tend towards in some ways reflect either the person we truly are or the person we desire to be.

Personal example- I've noticed that I tend to make spontaneous, impulsive, free-spirited characters. I think that in some ways, I desire to be this type of person. Someone who truly follows their heart and does whatever
they want to do. And therefore, I find myself subconsciously making this type of character to role play.

Does anyone agree? Or am I just letting my 4AM psychological analysis go too far?
:)

I think that is does have to sometimes do with this, after all, authors, roleplayers and essay writers alike tend to write what they know or based off of what they know. This isn't always the case, but people do have connections with their characters.

I like to try and play a diverse set of characters, I like to try different arch types out and different concepts such as the wounded warrior, the innocent one, the villain, ect.

However in all my characters I put something of myself in them, it makes them easier to write and it adds flaws to them and I can understand them and sometimes help myself.

Though I am partially always sort of leaning toward a the quiet, or the character with many secrets, I myself am pretty introverted compared to some other characters I have. I think as people and psychologically speaking we reflect ourselves in our creations or aspirations. There are also slips I have seen and other things that sort of suggest people do these things however, I do not think it is always the case at the same time.

I think characters and their writers do reflect off of each other and maybe their stories and maybe looks or personality traits can be similar, but we may not always realize it. Some people even create characters that they absolutely hate for one reason or another, but that could be expanded on in a different discussion.

Anael said:
I think that is does have to sometimes do with this, after all, authors, roleplayers and essay writers alike tend to write what they know or based off of what they know. This isn't always the case, but people do have connections with their characters.
I like to try and play a diverse set of characters, I like to try different arch types out and different concepts such as the wounded warrior, the innocent one, the villain, ect.

However in all my characters I put something of myself in them, it makes them easier to write and it adds flaws to them and I can understand them and sometimes help myself.
I gotta say, much of what I`d say is above. I do think characters are, as you said, in a way, who we are or desire to be. I think that rather being it fully, they are only partially. Something on the character is something you see yourself in or wish you could.

The why, I`d say it`s because it`s easier, more natural, to write from familiar point of view. These traits are the bridge that helps you get into character.

Completely agree. And even when I try to extend out of my usual character types and play someone completely different, I notice that while I'm role playing, a part of my personality comes out in them regardless. Most of the time, I don't even notice it.

A lot of it depends on how you play. Do you reply within 5 seconds of seeing a post? Then expect to see a lot of yourself in that post. Do you wait some time before replying? Then you have space to really think through the characters POV.

The immediate style of play is more satisfying for aspirational or balance-seeking needs. You wish you could be cocky and run in without thinking? Then do it. Have a shy part of your personality that isn't reflected in your everyday life? This is its chance. The biggest problem is that you can expect a lot more inconsistency as you, personally, change over time for reasons not reflected in the roleplay.

The thoughtful style of play is better for the curious and more exploration minded. You think a character would do something. But wait, what about this part of his past that indicates she wouldn't do that. Hmmm, let's reconsider. Or maybe there's a reason the character is being inconsistent. What if he had this other event happen that would change her choice in this situation? The biggest problem is finding ways to show, in roleplay, all of these reasons. Consistency is boring, but inconsistency demands an explanation. This is the best way to find a character larger than the words on the page. Or even larger than you.

Another consideration is the amount of posts/activity that are required from the players. More than one post a day almost demands immediacy, because it can be impossible to work through all the necessary permutations between posts. One post a day or less encourages more thoughtful play. Of course, less activity risks losing players or losing the overall thread of the narrative.

So you have to decide what type of experience you'd like to have and gear your play towards that experience. Of course, the more you've roleplayed thoughfully, the faster that style of play becomes.

I view RPing like acting. I try and live in my character's shoes. They do not necessarily reflect who I am. I do have a connection to them because I have empathy and can understand their point of view. For me, it is not really a reflection of myself. I'm merely acting a part.

Sometimes, but not for everyone

Mary Sue characters actually have RPers wanting to be like them as one of the main reasons they're built

I think we all go through the phase when we role model for ourselves with our chars and think "why can't we just be like this", but I don't think everyone's like this all the time

Now adays I just try out a lot of stuff I never tried before and throw in some cranks, say, the character lost an arm or got asthma, how does this effect him/her, and try to be as creative as possible with doing something big with them.

Yeah I've been trying to roleplay more quiet, reserved, and mysterious characters lately ahaha just bc I don't roleplay them that often

I think the great things abot characters is that you can also model them after someone or be inspired by someone.

This is not brought up in the main post, but characters can also be forms of inspirations from other sources or perhaps something unconcious that we do not notice first. I do agree with how it can be like acting or how @Archie said that they add cranks to see what can happen (forgive my terrible paraphrasing).

I have seen people who RP and have done Mary Sues/Gary Sues and they move on from there. It is not always the case, but perhaps it is apart of finding out who your character is. I think a lot of people may have similiar experiences in development and may agree. I could also be completely wrong.

I have been RPing for a while and I have made characters at all different points, some are similiar to me or others I may know, I sometimes like to base characters off of actors in some roles for fun. I think it depends on the person, but it is intesting to know how others view it and it makes is look at ourselves and our characters.

Oh yeah I usually like basing characters off of my TV show and movie characters too :)

well, i never really rp characters like me, tbh, so...

okay, seriously though - this is interesting to think about. i've over analyzed the kinds of characters i tend to like (sweet characters and assholes that are prime for the breaking. also 'creepy cute' types but i have yet to over analyze that) but never really applied that to rping.

for me, i think it's kinda like circus... i love acting and rping because i get RI explore someone else's mind. there might be aspects of myself, but the big thing is what interests me, who i want to play.

for example; i want to play a technomancer because, dang technomancy sounds cool. one time i saw this sweater and was like, oh my god and basically created an oc around it. or sometimes ill stumble upon good fc drawings and make a character around it, like a snarky character who loves dresses and attention.

basically, i think i mostly rp characters because of a concept or bout of inspiration that, overall, just seems interesting or fun to play. i don't really have a type - i rp lots of different types.

I wouldn't say I necessarily have a go-to character. I fault myself for making too many pseudo-edgy ones, but I think that's more being harsh and scared to fall into a cliche than actually overdoing it. At least that's my estimation and hope. The one thing I noticed is, I often give my characters some sort of religious/spiritual element, even throughout the genres. Which is funny, 'cause I don't have any connection to faith myself nor do I aspire to. I also don't really hold any animosity against religion or people of faith either. It's genuinely a random schtick of mine.

What I can say - with great confidence even - is, that I definitely give my characters one or more traits I do possess. Makes it feel more relatable, I suppose.

Semblance said:
Please excuse my psychological analysis on almost everything in my life. After all, that is my major (one of them) :)
Anyway, I'm sure that we all have specific types of characters that we all find ourselves gravitating towards when it comes time to make a character sheet.

For example- the flirty outgoing one, the brooding edgy one, the self-conscious quiet one, the artistic spontaneous one, the arrogant rude one, etc.

I have a theory that the type of character we naturally tend towards in some ways reflect either the person we truly are or the person we desire to be.

Personal example- I've noticed that I tend to make spontaneous, impulsive, free-spirited characters. I think that in some ways, I desire to be this type of person. Someone who truly follows their heart and does whatever
they want to do. And therefore, I find myself subconsciously making this type of character to role play.

Does anyone agree? Or am I just letting my 4AM psychological analysis go too far?
Yes. However whether this is nearly always true or just a good deal of the time I don't know, but, just like the mere fact that certain groups of people are more compelled to RP, certain types of people will create certain types of characters, generally contrasting sharing the same ideals but with less to hold them back.

Semblance said:

So I'm currently deep into, almost ready for my first proofreading of, a novel I've been working on for a long time. Now, obviously, writing a novel is different from role-playing, but for my five main characters I had to break off a piece of my personality in order for me to connect with them. Even that, honestly, wasn't enough. I had an artist friend of mine draw out my characters and upload them online. I printed each one out and stuck them on my wall, so when I hit writers block I could look my characters in the "eye" and think about what they would do....what I would do.

Teneramente represented the compassionate, naive part of myself.

Recitativo respresented my ambition, drive, and obsession. Qualities that are easily corrupted.

Fortissimo represented my rare, but present, assertive and outgoing traits. As such, he was the most difficult to write. Even now, his story and contribution to the novel as a whole seems weaker than the others.

Passionata represents my carefree and creative personality. She has a hopeless love interest that nearly brings her to ruin.

And finally, Calore. She represented my introverted, analytical, and misunderstood traits. She connected with a minority group and became fiercely protective of them.

So yes. I believe you're spot on with how characters are developed. I don't think they can be born any other way. It has made me appreciate, actually, how complex we are as individuals.

I believe you bring up a very good point here. When I first started role playing, I made characters who were basically me but with a different name and appearance. Nerdy, shy, smart and a bit of a humorous person. But I don't believe in all cases that the characters we RP with are who we are or want to be. For example, Reina Kavot and Mara, two characters of mine who are basically the same but with Reina being older and having a far darker backstory. They are brash, arrogant, rude, spiteful, not shy in the slightest, and shit like that. Not like me at all, and not at all whom I aspire to be

I find a lot of truth i this for myself at least, while i try to play many different types of characters i often make more confident, stubborn and blunt ones which are traits i wish i had. But it doesn't just stop there, with my "weaker" characters (emotional, secretive, vulnerable, agreeable, needy e.g) i see the person i currently am. I could never connect to a shy character while playing them as it wasn't the person i want to be and i feel alot of dislike when my own characters are more quiet.

Maybe i'm over thinking but to me this explains a lot and it makes sense. We all want to be a certain way and i wouldn't find it surprising for us to project these ideas when we have the chance be it unconsciously or not.

Archie said:
Sometimes, but not for everyone
Mary Sue characters actually have RPers wanting to be like them as one of the main reasons they're built
This raises the question of where the line between a self-insert and a Mary Sue gets drawn. Theoretically, one of the biggest attractions of RP is a temporary escape into a situation or world vastly different from our current reality that we still maintain a lot of control over. Any horrible thing that happens to the characters happens because we dictated it should, not because of events out of our hands entirely.

One of my theories about what it takes to write a truly believable and relatable character that other roleplayers want to interact with is that you have to pull out things from inside yourself. I don't have a good sense of comedic timing, so I don't feel confident in my ability to play characters who are big jokesters. However, I am a fan of being snarky and use snarky characters as a way to vent that aspect of myself in a healthy manner without fear of consequences. It's hard to write about loss for a character without having experienced some great loss yourself, hard to write about being in love without having felt it yourself, et cetera, et cetera. It's what I think the English professors were talking about when they said to write to expose truth.

Maybe some people's characters are almost Freudian in the way they reveal subconscious desires, but mine aren't. Every character I build starts out because I want to show what I would do in that character's situation. As I build, I throw in flaws and quirks and make the character look less like me, but at the end, I have built another skin to temporarily slip into. These skins have advantages that I do not and allow me to explore who I am even as I explore who this character is.

I'm in the shameless self-insert crowd. To me, RP is a collective daydream, a collaborative work of entertainment and wish fulfillment. All my characters are part 'who am I' and part 'who do I want to be?'.

I consider it very different from writing a novel - which is why I don't consider myself a particularly good writer. I can't write characters that aren't based on me in some way. I don't readily empathize with people who aren't me. Therefore I can't get into the head of a personality that I would find alien.

Naturally, there are downsides to this approach. For starters, its quite easily to fall into Mary-Sue territory when you're talking wish-fulfillment and self-insertion (and that sounds dirty, by the way.) On the other hand, I think feeling so connected to your character helps the writing process and keep excitement high for the roleplay.

It honestly depends on why you RP. Some people do RP for escapism, they generally tend towards what they are or want to be (At least in my personal experiences), otherwise what's the point of escapism?

Personally, I do it for the moments that turn into anecdotes.

When coming up with a character, I genuinely come up with what seems most appropriate at the time and will fit (or mess with) the group dynamic; purely because I want to see what will happen and where I will go with whatever I have been "given".

Honestly a Lot of my Characters always have some part of me within them whether i like it or not.

For example, my First ever Character Elijah, she has become a literal part of me psychologically I've noticed over the years, My Personality and hers compliment and merge together so perfectly it's like she's my entire other half of myself, i'd dare say i have a split personality disorder if i didn't know any better to be honest.

(meaning i do NOT have a disorder, im prolly just talking out of my ass here)

But the connection between myself and that specific character is so damn strong it genuinely feels like i wouldn't be a complete person without them!

As for most my other characters though, in most of them there definitely is a general theme of most of them being good natured at heart/Having my own personal morals and values or philosophical veiws, no matter if they're a War general, a trouble making hedonist, a horrifying metal monstrosity, A cruel ruthless warrior, a total bitch, The Average Joe, the list goes onnnnnnnnnnnnn

Also sometimes i just Rp as myself, alternate universe or not, cause why not i find that enjoyable sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back