• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Condemned: Age of Brutality

It was all over when we heard the first scream.

Ma instructed me to get inside. I didn't think anything of it at first. I thought Kip had pulled another prank. But then someone shoved a sword up Ma's throat. Her eyes went wide as the bloodied tip protruded from her beloved, graceful neck. Behind her, a red-robed assassin ripped the knife out and unceremoniously kicked her aside. In the blink of an eye, the only person I ever loved in my entire life was gone, her corpse splayed out in the dirt like she was naught but a piece of garbage. My feet had barely begun to run the other way when hundreds more red men charged down the road. I couldn't cry. I couldn't scream. I couldn't even breathe. All I knew was that Ma was dead and that someone had my name on their knife too. Screams erupted everywhere around me, and soon all I could hear were battle cries and splatters of flesh, blood, and bone.

I wished it would stop.

But the unbearable cacophany dragged on and on. Every waking moment I expected someone to break in and kill me. And every other waking moment I expected Ma to wrap her arms around me and tell me everything would be okay. No matter how dangerous things got, she would always cradle me in her arms and tell me everything would be okay. But Ma never came. When the door finally opened, I was almost ready to embrace whatever walked through, be it a sword or a greeting.

I looked at her.

She looked at me.

She wasn't Ma. But in that moment, when our eyes met, she might as well have been. To this day, I will never forget her mercy.

And to this day, I wished my Queen would do the same for us all.

"Hail to the Queen! Our foes are fallen!

Hail to the Queen! Our toes are ballin'!

Hail to the Queen! Their heads are rollin'!

See! Their knees beneath her crawlin'!"

"Hail to her ma-jes-ty, her thunders-

Hail to her ma-jes-ty, her plunders-

Hail to her ma-jes-ty, her sunders-

See! Them adding to her wonders!"

Many similar songs were sung all along the road to Midhaven Palace to the rising beat of the victory parade. Several hundred soldiers, dressed in their Sunday best, marched with impeccable coordination as all manner of flowers, trinkets, and celebratory blood sprays were scattered at their feet. On one of the elaborately decorated floats rolling behind them, there was a cage filled with chained-up prisoners, whose taunts and cries were only met with more cheers and rolls of laughter from the passing crowds. The parade came to a halt before a great golden throne, upon which sat the object of the entire display:

Queen Rebekah herself.

Two guards withdrew a prisoner from the cage, hauled her before the Queen, and shoved the prisoner to her knees. The silver cross that still hung around her neck dangled freely above her bosom. Her light brown hair and crimson gown were matted with sweat and grime, but her piercing hazel glare shone through to stare directly into the Queen's eyes. The two of them knew one another. Indeed, the whole assembly seemed to know who the prisoner was, for the moment the prisoner's knees struck the floor, a mighty applause shook the earth.

And just as soon as it came, all the noise vanished into a hush and whisper.

The Queen was about to speak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rebekah hated days like this. Days that she would have to decide peoples fates. She knew what this women had done, and the only punishment suitable for this women was a punishment worse than death. She didn't like speaking for long periods of time and was prepared to give the women's sentence. " Madam Grey, you have disappointed me..." She tilts her head and looks at her coldly. " Your crime is unforgivable and for this... You will have a fate worse than death." Rebekah holds her hand up and uses magic to absorb the the prisoners life force leaving her to scream and be crippled. " Madam Grey....this is your sentence." Rebekah dropped her hand leaving Madam Grey on the ground. She felt very little about killing people at this time. She liked mercy... But mercy was never shown to her so she didn't know how to show it. 

Guards watched from every point in the room. Fearing her.

The High Inquisitor Lady Grey collapsed to the floor.

Astran couldn't hear the roaring crowd for the rising fear in his heart. He stared at the near-lifeless husk of the once-proud woman, fighting back the lump in his throat as well as the growing urge to flee. Had the Queen discovered his connection to Lady Grey, however innocent it was, he and all his adopted siblings would surely have suffered the same fate. He tightened his grip on the spear and shut his eyes. This was no time to entertain such thoughts. If he deviated at all from his motionless stance, the Queen would surely notice.

Slowly his senses returned to him. The crowds were still cheering. Red blossoms floated down from the sky and graced every surface that stayed calm in the sea of excitement. A single petal came to rest on his shoulder piece, reminding him that there was still hope for a better world, no matter how small the chance. His eyes soon came to rest on the Queen's elegant figure. The longer he gazed at her, the more this curious idea grew in his mind that this single petal of hope would come from her stern, unwavering hand.

Could it?

The idea seemed preposterous, so he brushed it out of his mind. There was no way this violent woman could ever bring peace to this broken country.

A guard handed off the limp prisoner to Astran. Wordlessly, he slipped her under his arm and dragged her off-stage toward the dungeons. As the crowds faded away and the steel gates drew ever nearer, he tenderly picked her up in his arms and carried her the rest of the way. Astran chained up her hands and feet as directed in a cell and took one last, lingering look at her haggard form before departing back for the raucous mob that celebrated her demise.

She watches the petals fall. She found a calm joy in them. She caught one of the beautiful petals in her hand and placed it in a book beside her. She had much more to do today and was prepared for her long day. 

One of the guards walked behind her and went to touch her, as he went to touch her he was grabbed and dragged back. " Do not touch the queen, she will not permit being touched. " The soldier steps back some more. He speaks, " We have taken the women back to the cells." Rebekah nods quietly and continues to watch over her people.

She knew that Lady Grey would not be the last and wasn't the only one in the heist that was the attempt of murder on her. Rebekah wasn't afraid of death, but she wasn't going to be killed easily.

Rebekah watched each of her soldiers, her guards, and servants. She wanted to make their lives easier and her peoples lives safer. She knew about neighboring countries fighting each other until neither of them existed, as did she know other countries wanted her land for themselves.This would not happen. Wars left countries crippled, much like how she left the prisoner. This would not happen to her land.

Spies were everywhere within the room, all from countries wanting to learn more about this newly queen of death. The name Bound Darkness would haunt the towns of  close countries. She would make sure of that. Her reign would last.

All she had to do at this point was to watch over her people as they celebrated. She had a bad feeling about something...

Her bad feeling would soon prove justified.

Hundreds of men within the crowds suddenly sprang up with their swords drawn. In a moment, the cheering onlookers turned into a frightened mob. The infiltrators already started cutting up everyone around them, man, woman, and child. The guards attempted to control the situation, but they soon found that the attackers were not mere vigilantes or terrorists - they were fully-trained soldiers. One by one the guards were slain, and whenever each one would kill his foe, ten more would spring up. The hundred invaders became a thousand, and they came perilously close to the throne.

Surely the Queen would order a retreat to the castle.

Rebekah stood fast and grabbed the very long scythe that was attached to her throne. The blade makes a ringing noise, a noise that most know as the death bell, when someone hears the ring they are bound to find death in the moments after. She is furious. Her people lay dead around her children, women, and men.  She talks quietly " You all will die today...." Rebekah walked down to where most of the assassins stood. She would kill them, destroy them for hurting her family, her people.  She picked up a small dead child that was in her path and held him close before finding a place to put his body. The boy would never breathe again with the wounds these monsters laid on him. "You all will die tonight..." She raised her voice " Everyone evacuate now! Go!"

Rebekah was attacked from all sides. She sliced through the men with ease. The problem? There were too many for her. The soldiers surrounded her cutting away as she sliced through them. She felt a few sharp pains in her sides and legs. They were aiming for vital points. She cut them down even faster. Their numbers were still high she knew this. The soldiers screamed and made comments of hate and resentment. Her thoughts were filled with hate "I will live through this.... I swear it." She held her side with one hand as she cut through the army of men. She had to find some way out... And soon.

Her scythe was a blur. Its black blade rang out with supernatural fury, cutting through blade and steel unhindered. There was not a man among them whose sword could stop her mighty strikes. No, it wasn't her weapon - it was the sheer strength in her right arm and the murderous glare in her eyes. The scythe was just a tool, a means to an end, a final end. When the blood rain cleared, there were no more attackers or defenders. There were only prey and the demon.

But the prey proved too numerous and too persistent. With each foe that fell, another would nick her. A hundred such nicks later, the hot blood coursing through her veins began to flow freely upon the ground. The demon was tiring. And just as a moment's slip nearly cost her life, a moment's friend arrived to save it. A single knight, whose armor was dented from top to bottom and leaking red in several places, threw himself over her and absorbed the blow. Without pausing, he held her to his chest and barged headfirst through the enemy ranks. Soldiers clattered beside him. When he reached a clearing, he dumped her out on the dirt, swung his spear over her head at another charging enemy, and cleaved the man's head from his shoulders.

It left him wide open to another squad of soldiers ready to stab him from behind.

Rebekah took her scythe and made a swift movement taking the soldiers behind the knight and bringing them to their knees. Their arms and torso cut clean through. She stood and wobbled a little, she was losing too much blood. " We need to go." She grabbed his plated armor and began to run as fast as she could with him being pulled behind. She knew she could hide in the old establishment not too far from here, based on the amount of blood she was losing they would claim her dead. She felt sick from him touching her.  Flashes of her past came to mind making her run faster leaving the enemy behind.

Not far ahead was her safe spot....she wouldn't last more than a day if she didn't get into the hidden cove.

The knight and the Queen ran together, slicing enemy soldiers as they passed. Nearly a hundred men bit the dust before the two got behind the lines. Realizing the Queen was leading him somewhere, the knight wordlessly followed behind her. They twisted and turned around landforms to lose their pursuers, fled whenever they were discovered, and tried again. The loss of blood didn't stop, though, so they couldn't continue like that for much longer. Thankfully, the enemy finally failed to notice them when they darted behind a strategically placed rock.

That rock turned out to be the entrance to the cove.

With the enemy soldiers still running around outside, they couldn't afford to be too loud, so the knight kept his mouth shut and only removed his helmet to get a bit of fresh air.

Astran in armor.jpg

Rebekah eyed the soldier carefully before walking to a small area sitting down and leaning back. Her body throbbed with pain, but nothing worse than the pain she felt when she was younger. She looked at her hands, covered in both her blood and her enemies. She looked over at the knight once more and stayed quiet. She was tired and wanted to sleep. She felt cold and wasn't feeling well. Rebekah stood up and walked over to some odd plant she pulled it up and broke the root and ate it. She picked some more and handed it to the knight. She knew he was hurt. She chewed the root and sat back down away from the soldier.

The cove was filled with flowers all different colors and types. Rare,common,extinct. Rebekah had been here in this safe haven many times. She had crossed most of these flowers and plants together to make their healing properties stronger or thier poisons more potient. This was her hidden spot. A metal box was hidden with in the flowers, it had bandages with in it. Rebekah was exhausted, she couldn't move much. She laid her head back and closed her eyes. She was greatful to the knight for helping her, but she was too disgusted with his touch to thank him as of yet. Her small book fell from her pocket and landed next to her as she fell asleep.

The Queen watched Astran remove his helmet and brush the sweat from his forehead. Being young and strong, he could have been the sort of man who would make unwanted moves on her. Still, he made no attempt to, and satisfied that he wasn't a threat for the time being, the Queen sat down against the wall to brood. Astran, meanwhile, began pulling his armor off to mend his wounds. Many ugly cuts and bruises marred his body, all of them fresh and still bleeding. Astran leaned against the wall and bumped his head against it with a disgusted sigh. There was no way he could defend the Queen in this state.

Then the Queen offered him a root. He took it and turned it about in his fingers. He shot her a questioning glance, but her back was already turned. He wasn't about to turn down her act of kindness, so he shrugged and bit the root. It was, as he predicted, bitter and earthy, but not wholly unpleasant. It would suffice. He sat down beside the Queen and continued to chew on it, keeping watch on the entrance for any sign of trouble.

Rebekah stood up  knowing she would be able to last with out the herbs in the box. She walked over leaving a blood trail over to the chest. Her dress was soaked with her blood and she was still moving. She leaned down and moves some vines aside to see the box. She opened it and grabbed a small pouch with herbs and pastes and a roll of bandages. She through them over to the knight before grabbing her pouch and bandages and walking behind a small broken wall away from sight. 

She hisses silently as she put the balm on her wounds and bound them. She wasn't worried about herself...her people lay on kingdoms floor dead... And she left them. Rebekah punched the small wall and cracked it and cut her knuckles. She cursed under her breath. Once done she walked over to the knight and sat back down. After a few seconds she leaned over and pointed at a leafy herb " This will help with pain if eaten..." She looked over at the balm and pointed at it " and this will help the healing process..... It will help keep infections away.." Her voice was warm. She looked at him quickly before leaning away and removing her gaze. She folded her hands on her lap watched out of the broken window.

View attachment 153060

Rebekah stood up  knowing she would be able to last with out the herbs in the box. She walked over leaving a blood trail over to the chest. Her dress was soaked with her blood and she was still moving. She leaned down and moves some vines aside to see the box. She opened it and grabbed a small pouch with herbs and pastes and a roll of bandages. She through them over to the knight before grabbing her pouch and bandages and walking behind a small broken wall away from sight. 

She hisses silently as she put the balm on her wounds and bound them. She wasn't worried about herself...her people lay on kingdoms floor dead... And she left them. Rebekah punched the small wall and cracked it and cut her knuckles. She cursed under her breath. Once done she walked over to the knight and sat back down. After a few seconds she leaned over and pointed at a leafy herb " This will help with pain if eaten..." She looked over at the balm and pointed at it " and this will help the healing process..... It will help keep infections away.." Her voice was warm. She looked at him quickly before leaning away and removing her gaze. She folded her hands on her lap watched out of the broken window.

A pile of herbs and bandages landed in Astran's lap. He looked up to see Rebekah walking behind a wall out of sight with her own armful of herbs and bandages. Why would she give me anything? I'm just a soldier, hardly worth wasting resources on. Besides, she hates men. Maybe it's just that I'm the only one helping her right now. Don't get cocky, soldier - she simply finds you useful right now, nothing more. Astran glanced over the supplies, unfamiliar with their functions. All he knew was that medical personnel used them on the wounded. He began fumbling around with the herbs and bandages, and he had nearly stuck a root in an open wound when Rebekah returned to his side and sat down.

She gestured at the pile of herbs and said, "This will help the pain if eaten..." then pointed at the balm and added, "...and this will help the healing process. It will help keep infections away." Astran blinked. Had he just heard heard her giving helpful advice? There was no mistaking the warmth in her voice, but it seemed so out of character for this woman. Perhaps he simply didn't know her as well as he thought. She stole a glance at him before leaning away to gaze out of a nearby broken window.

It took Astran a moment to remember his manners...

"Thank you."

...along with the fact that she was royalty.

"Your Highness."

He began the painstaking process of balming his wounds, wrapping them in bandages, and chewing on herb roots to keep the pain down. Nearly an hour passed before he was finished. He figured he looked like a mummy when all his wounds were bandaged up, but he was too tired to care. Astran slumped back against the wall and closed his eyes.

Rebekah gathered some of her energy. It was clear she was healing. She listened waiting for the soldiers breathing to slow to the point of sleep before she stood up to examine the floral life. She walked around and examined the plants. She crouched down in front of the Stargazers. She sighed "Wilting again...." She picked one and checked its petals looking for a cause before putting it on her small book on the ground. She walked around a bit more checking the water sources and the soil for toxins. 

She smiled ever so slightly while handling the flowers.

Rebekah moved back towards the soldier and relaxed a little. She closed her eyes and slept for the first time in a few days. She had been working all nighters on paperwork and working with other nobles. 

Nightmares would plegue her mind about tonight and her past.

Tears gathered at the corners of the queens eyes as she slept.

*with in the dream: A sharp smack landed across Rebekah's face.

" You useless child! Don't you DARE talk back to me!" Rebekah's small body lay on the ground, she clutched her cheek. She was smaller, younger and frail. The tall women threw the books off of the table and screamed at her. Her dream changed to a man, she was older now, fuller but still weak and small. The man touched, groped, probed in areas that she didn't want to be touched. " Get off me! Don't touch me! Don't! Please!" She felt pain before his hand covered her mouth to silence her screams of agony. She was terrified and remembered his sicking grin as he raped her. Her dream changed once more to the blood soaked floors of her kingdom and the women, men, and children that lay there, she couldn't escape.*  

Rebekah awoke to the sound of a harsh metal beat.

Astran had a pile of medical supplies tied up in a knapsack in one corner of the room. Next to it was a standard military backpack filled with tools, small weapons, ammunition (don't ask what for), and several weeks worth of rations. He had to have been up early getting ready for this. In a remote corner of the room, one could find the source of the noise that woke the Queen up - Astran was beating out the dents and breaks in his armor with a large stone. He was apparently satisfied with his work, because he stopped beating it and strapped his armor back on. He handed the knapsack to Rebekah and motioned her to follow. Queens don't usually take orders from a soldier, but the man seemed to have a plan.

That plan turned out to involve a horse-drawn wagon with four other passengers. Astran and the driver had made an agreement last night to set out at a certain time in the morning for the neighboring town. Payment was a penny, the approximate cost in extra hay required to feed the horses for the extra passengers. Astran stepped aboard with Rebekah and quietly saluted the passengers on his way to the corner seat. The beggar, noblewoman, and homeless boy saluted him back.

The fourth passenger was a tall and dashing young man with a bow slung over his back. He leaped up into the wagon and slipped in beside Rebekah, immediately taking the opportunity to slide his arm behind her and shoot her a daring grin.

Astran gave him "the look."

The man grinned back.

A sharp "Ow!" escaped the man's lips as he suddenly yanked back his arm to nurse a red spot that mysteriously appeared on his finger. The two men exchanged another round of glares before resolving not to look at each other for the time being. At length, though, the man grew back the courage to attempt another go at Rebekah.

"So. What's your name, beautiful?" he cooed.

She gathered her things and including a small bag of gold and followed, trusting he wouldn't hurt her. She fitted an area for her scythe on her back and followed the soldier.

Rebekah looked at the man. She hesitated to answer him. " Bekah." When she spoke her voice was warm and sweet, but her expression almost seemed like she didn't know how to smile. Rebekah looked at the soldier that had helped her. "....What is your name?" She examined him, he seemed familiar, like she had seen him walking through the palace one day. His armor was different than the normal soldiers. He had a stirn look but seemed to be a little bit shy. She was oddly curious about him.

She wondered.. Why does he help her, he hasn't hurt her, does he expect to gain something?  He peaked a curiosity in her she hadn't had before.

Setting: Midhaven Imperial Prison, Base Level

The steel gate clanged open. A man, dressed in the white and gold robes of the royal family, stepped into the cell. He lifted a rag to his nose to block out the stench of mold and sweat reeking from every corner. In the center of the cell was the limp form of a woman, suspended in midair by chains on her wrists and ankles. Her dress was in tatters from repeated abuse, and mysterious chemicals plastered her face. The man lifted her chin to observe her shrunken countenance. He almost took her for dead were it not for a single slightly open eyelid.

"What have they done to you, Lady Grey?" the man muttered aloud. He unlocked the bonds holding her up, being careful not to damage her already fragile skin, and put her over his shoulder. "Guard, let the officials know I'm leaving with this woman."

Setting: Wagon ride to Eastering

Upon hearing the woman's name, young man's face lit up. "Bekah is a lovely name, my dear. My name is Monsieur Francois de Marquise. You may call me France. 'Tis a pleasure to make your acquaintance." He picked up Bekah's hand to kiss it.

Rebekah pulled her hand away and slapped him across his face.

" Don't touch me!" Her hands shook. She put her hands in her lap before looking away.  Her entire body tensed up and she kept as close to herself as she could. She wouldn't speak for a while. Wouldn't interact. She didn't want to be touched. She didn't want to hurt anyone. She was terrified but she didn't show France that she was.

Rebekah rubbed her hand slightly. Her skin crawled where France had touched her. It made her sick. The rest of this ride would become hell if he were to continue this. She still wanted to know the name of the soldier that had helped her... He didn't talk much it made her curious. She watched the scenery around them, it was beautiful. She loved the outdoors, though she never had the chance to leave the kingdom due to her duties.

"Don't touch me!"

The subsequent slap sent shockwaves to everyone on the wagon. France's gesture was seen as polite, appropriate even, and Rebekah's response caused everyone to reel and stare in concerned silence.

As Rebekah looked down at her lap and struggled with the mental and social consequences, Astran dropped something into her palm. It was a little silver necklace, shaped like a plus sign with a red bloodstone embedded in the center. The trinket seemed to glow in the evening light, magnified by the sunset just beginning to dip below the horizon. Warmth flowed into her hands. Astran folded his arms and shut his eyes - the Queen didn't have to know he'd just parted with something dear to him.

Rebekah jumped a little when the necklace was placed in her hand. She looked down and spoke loud enough for both France and Astran to hear.

"I'm sorry...." She looked at them both and gave an awkward shrug. " I have a fear of being touched...." She felt a little relieved for saying it. She looked back down and kept her distance from France. " Its not you, so I'm sorry I hit you." She looked at the necklace in her hand and kept it close to her. It made her feel a bit better about the situation. She could practically feel Frances excitement in his newly found toy(her) he could make fun with.

With the relief of telling them her fear....if they knew why she had the fear they would think her broken and vile. She wasn't pure anymore...not by her choice but she felt she would never be actually wanted by someone who cared once they were to find out..." I don't want to be alone..."  She whispered for only herself to hear.

France, meanwhile, was still reeling from the slap. Most women melted at his touch, not melted down. This woman was certainly more interesting than the one he'd wooed last night. "I have a fear of being touched. It's not you, so I'm sorry I hit you," she said at length. France looked at her with a raised brow and folded arms. "You don't say," he replied. "Fear not, madam, for I shall cure this illness of yours. I am an expert in such things. Now pray tell, who is your companion here? He seems like a quiet and unreasonable individual."

"Astran Valderis," came the terse reply.

"Astran, eh?" France murmured. The name sounded familiar. "As in, Astran the Thin Slayer? Astran the Bloodthirster?"

Astran nodded. The latter moniker brought a blush of embarrassment to his cheeks.

"No freaking way. Your reputation precedes you. Do you still work your magic from the blood of your enemies?"

Astran shook his head. "No. I abandoned that a long time ago. It's a long story."

"It's a long journey. We have time."

"I am not inclined to share the story with strangers."

"Humph. Suit yourself."

An uneasy silence fell over the wagon. At length, the noblewoman sitting across from them leaned forward and stared into Rebekah's eyes. "I could have sworn I've seen you before. Are you a noble?" she asked.

Rebekah looked at the women. " Yes, in a way, but this is my first time here." She looks away to hide her face. " Astran...." She thought. She felt a smile tug at her lips. She kept her face hidden from everyone. She was confused at the emotion. The smile disappeared as quickly as it had appeared.  She ignored France and watched the passing world. She hoped the women would drop the subject. She didn't want people to know, or panic. If they knew they would cause problems and endanger themselves. She wanted them to be safe.

Rebekah  grabbed her small book and watched a sketch fall out of it.  She reached for the sketch as it floated over and landed next to Astran. The sketch was of one of a small child smiling happily over a book.  She couldn't quite reach it.

The two women looked at each other. Rebekah looked away first. "Yes, in a way, but this is my first time here," she said. Her attempt to look away pointed her face in France's direction, which proved to be a mistake, as the man took it to mean she had forgiven him. He was about to say something stupid when Rebekah corrected the mistake and bowed her head toward her lap instead. Astran took the opportunity to lightly punch France in the kisser. The latter declined to continue his attempts to speak after that. The observers on the opposite side wisely followed suit.

Then a picture floated down at Astran's feet. It was of a small child, a happy one engrossed in a book. Rebekah reached down to pick it up, but she couldn't quite lean far enough without losing her balance. Astran picked it up and handed it to her. He raised an eyebrow, curious as to the identity of the drawn individual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back