• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Multiple Settings [Closed] It's like Tangled, but with more Hobos ...

Slade

soul mates are overrated anyway
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Pairings: MxM or MxF

The Promptadour
It’s a typical Friday night in downtown Riverview, and your shifty, sad excuse of a neighbourhood is as shifty as ever. Outside, dirty hobos serenade you with their mad ravings. Clusters of misguided youth dance a dance of knives and alcohol. A lethal combination, to be sure, but you’ve stuck around long enough to have grown immune to it all.

You spend the night in your shabby, little apartment -- looking at all the things you’ve ever known and ever owned. Perhaps some last-minute hiccup kept you from going out with friends tonight. Do you even have friends? Perhaps you’re just a homebody. No matter what it is: It’s only a matter a time before you realise you shouldn’t have stayed home tonight.

See, you wouldn’t have survived this long if you hadn’t picked up a few tricks of your own. Your ears pick up on a set of footsteps coming towards you. They are light -- almost soundless, in fact -- but the truth is, your body has long gone into overdrive before you are even aware that someone else is in the apartment.

There’s nothing to see. Your senses are failing you, betraying you, but for once, you trust your instincts and run to the kitchen. You pick up an old, scratched pan from the drying rack.

Fuck it. Teflon hasn’t failed you yet. You close your eyes, and swing at the wind. To your surprise, it makes contact. You even hear the sound of someone groaning. Your eyes open, and sure enough, a man lies on the floor in front of you. He’s cradling his jaw.

“Not what you think,” he slurred, voice trailing off as he starts to lose consciousness. “Fate. It’s fate.”

Well. He doesn’t look too shabby for a standard-issue hobo. The man apparently knows what a shaving blade is, at least. And then there’s that thing where you swear he was invisible just moments ago.

But you have little time to collect your thoughts before he wakes up again. The phone is there, and you can always call 9-1-1, but the last time Smelly Sally from three floors down got burgled, it took the coppers all of three hours to send someone in. You can always go ahead and give them a heads up anyway, but whatever else you need to do, better make it quick.

So the plot takes place in a made-up town called Riverview. Let's say it's in the States, but if for some reason, you want it to take place in Zimbabwe or somewhere else, that's cool too. I can make adjustments. There’s demons and all sorts of magical shit going on. Unbeknownst to them, your character has a very special place in it. No, they’re not Jesus reincarnated, but they’re quite a catch still. You’ll see.

YOU: Basically, you’ll be playing, well, “you.” That character from the prompt, whoever they may be. I don’t have a preference for gender or age. Well, for the age bit, just make it sensible. Can’t have a twelve-year-old living by themselves now, can they?

Now, all I’m asking is, I get to decide the “mystery” behind your character. They’re completely human as far as they’re aware -- human memories and all -- but obviously invisible dudebro is there for a reason.

ME: Invisible guy. Also a bunch of crazy other NPCs.

THAT CRAZY THING CALLED LOVE: Not required. If it happens, it happens.

OTHERS:
You’re not required to play multiple characters if you’re just in for the ride. Would love it, though, but no pressure, amigo.

CS: I only ever do character sheets when I’m in the mood for it, which is about once in a blue moon. If you reaaaaaally need one, I’ll give you a face claim or something, as well as a rough description of the physical appearance. You’re free to make one and send it to me, if you like.

And now the Housekeeping stuff.
If you have any triggers / limits / squicks / whatever you kids are calling it these days, tell me in advance. This shit's about to get dark, folks. But not really. But really.

Plotting: I’d like to keep plotting as minimal as possible. Why? Because it’s much more fun that way! I’ve always seen RP-ing as the art of winging it. That said, if you have any questions/want to clarify something, that’s encouraged.

Post length: I’m not too fussy. As long as you can keep your responses detailed enough (2-ish paragraphs? Unless our characters are just chilling and talking, of course), and I have something to respond to, I’ll be okay.

Activity: Be able to post like three times a week at least. Now, this isn’t a hard rule … mainly because I just pulled that number out of my ass … but anyway, be at least a little active because I’m a sucker for instant gratification.

I prefer Threads for IC stuff, because I’m interested in getting a hosted project up one day, and would like to keep my post count up.

And if I still haven’t scared you away with my rambling …
Congratulations!

Now, I’m only looking to do this prompt with one other person, so if there happens to be more than one person interested, I’d like to choose the one whose writing style I’d most likely mesh with the best.

That said, I would appreciate it if you could leave a comment below / send me a PM with a writing sample OR (more preferably) an IC reply with how your character responds to the situation

Last edited:
(No rule on whether you want it first or third person, obviously I can change it if need be)

"Oh my god," I breathed, my hands tightly gripping the handle of my pan. My heart was racing, and I felt as though I might pass out. After living here for some-odd months, I had gotten used to the bumps in the night, fights outside my window in the streets, and domestic abuse within the apartments on the other sides of my walls. However, nobody had ever broken into the place where I so humbly stayed. Granted, the locks weren't really that high end, but for $499 a month for a one bedroom, I couldn't necessarily complain about the smaller issues. Clearly, that specific "smaller issue" had turned into a big one real quick.

Once I had fully realized what the hell just happened, my mind raced to try and come up with a solution. Call the police? Yes. Even though they might take forever, it was worth a shot. Kill him? Absolutely not- what the hell was wrong with me. As I reached for my phone on the counter, my hands shaking, I quickly dialed 911. I informed the dispatcher of the situation, gave her my address, and hung up. In the mean time, I had to make sure this crusty guy wouldn't attempt to attack me. Knowing I had only a few minutes, if that, before he awoke, I quickly ran to my bedroom, digging through my closet to find anything I could tie him up with.

As I dug deeper, past the dirty laundry, the mountain of shoes, and old clothes I hadn't touched since I moved in, I found the perfect solution: a pair of handcuffs that one guy from the club had left here a few months ago. Unfortunately, they were lined with pink fur, but hey, I didn't really have time to feel ashamed of that night- it was a long story.

I headed back into the living room, where the man laid still unconscious. He didn't exactly smell the best, but it wasn't too unbearable. I grabbed him by the wrists, attempting to drag his body to the water heater near the window. It was definitely a struggle, but I managed, and I quickly handcuffed the metal sex accessory across one wrist, and the other to the pipe of the heater. Hmm...Better go tighter, I thought, readjusting the cuffs before stepping back to admire my handiwork.

Now, to sit and wait. With my frying pan in one hand, and a large, dull kitchen knife in the other, I sat on the edge of the couch, unable to take my eyes off of him.

LOL, I love them already! Guess I better close up shop then ^^. I'll get a thread up for us in a bit with my reply in, but first: Is your character a man or a woman? I could write my way around that for now, but normally I do like to write in third person past tense.

That's fine! It is indeed a she, so if you're still wanting to PM me a quick face claim or something, you can, or I can whip something up. Also, I figured you'd want third person, and that's fine as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back