• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy [Closed] A nation in havoc

Nia fell face first into a snow mound as soon as they stopped, sinking into the snow a few inches. A muffled groan soon to follow. After a moment she turned onto her back, going spread eagle. "Are we there yet?" She asked, sounding a bit irritated and definitely tired. It had been days. How far away could the capital be? Surely it shouldn't take more than two weeks to walk there... right?
Rhaine Rhaine TheCountryWarrior TheCountryWarrior Caffeine Freak Caffeine Freak

Dan slumped down into a sitting position in the snow, legs aching beyond anything he had felt before. He had taken a slow carriage to Dalania to see the sights, and had never suspected he would end up trekking across the continent. Suddenly a voice caused him to shoot up, firearm in hand, and aim it at the voice.

A man in gleaming armor approached the party, a broad smile on his face, sword at his hip and sheid on his back. His armor was adorned with the Crest of the Calcian Faith. When he spoke his voice was deep and... well heroic in his own words.

"Hello friends! I didn't think I would find anyone this far out already. You must walk fa-. Why is the intense looking one holding me at... crossbow point?" His arms slowly raising above his head, his smile slowly lowering into a confused frown. He saw several poor, tired people escaping. Two ashy looking young men, one of which was pointing some device at him, some female with a couple guards, an... Elf?... and some other female who's hair was covered by snow. "I'm sorry, what's happening?"

Rhaine Rhaine Duke of Doge Duke of Doge Caffeine Freak Caffeine Freak Uasal Uasal

Ru shivered, sinking to the ground. It was times like these that she particularly missed her long hair. Not only for its familiarity or symbolic significance of her people, but for the extra shroud of warmth and security. She clung to her dark cloak, bringing it around her small form tightly. She had less trouble breathing near the coast, and she was endlessly grateful for it.

Cassander ran his hands through his mop of dark curls, exhaling slowly. His breath was a shuddering plume, a ghost in the cold northern air. The cold always served to make him miserable, no matter how long he was given to become accustomed to it. All the same, he wasn't disheartened. They had made considerable progress, and that was something to be proud of. He gave a huff at Nia's words, eyes finding her form amongst the snow. "Not quite."

The sense of security he had built up over days without misstep was shattered as an unfamiliar voice rippled through his senses. He tensed, whirling around to face the newcomer. His gaze was weary until he spotted the crest. It was a mark of his homeland. His eyes widened, and he took a step forward. "You bear the crest of the Calcian Faith? Of the Holy Empire?"

Ru stood shakily, watching on with no loss of fear in the wake of Cassander's recognition. The stranger was tall, armored, and armed. Despite his seemingly pleasant demeanor, she was threatened all the same. To hear that he was from the Holy Calcian Empire provided nothing in the form of comfort. She resisted the urge to hide her ears under her hair or her hood. The damage was done.

TheCountryWarrior TheCountryWarrior Duke of Doge Duke of Doge Caffeine Freak Caffeine Freak

Last edited:
Nia unsheathed her sword and got up at the sound of a new voice. Eyes narrowing as she looked him over, she spoke "why would someone from- claiming to be from the empire. Be here?" She said gesturing to the land around them.

As much as Nia is usually a very trustworthy person, the events of recent days had changed that. It would be very easy for someone to claim to be someone trustworthy, only to backstab those who trusted them.

Dan didn't say a word, waiting, poised to strike.

The man smiled as one of the boys recognized the Crest. "Yes indeed sir! I had come here a few weeks back to travel and hopefully spread the Way, as I helped those who needed it. Here, my card!" The stranger pulled out a card from his armor with a painting of his face and his name.

"Defessuss Darelliun, Paladin of the Holy Order of Calcian, The Faith of the Calcian Empire, Bringer of Light and The Way! At your service!"

Rhaine Rhaine Duke of Doge Duke of Doge Caffeine Freak Caffeine Freak Uasal Uasal

Ru took in the Paladin with a wary, yet curious eye. It had been one of the reasons she had left home - to experience other points of view. The marks on her face designated her as a seeker of Ihar'sol (wisdom, crone, knowledge), and she hadn't felt that she could serve her purpose blindly. Yet, even having shorn her hair and opened her mind to other possibilities, in her heart she was still as pious as she had been in her youth. She knew how they were speaking of the eruption in Fenwood. How they would attribute it to the anger of a deity - perhaps Koehavar (earth, guardian, mother), or Mal'isha (fire, war). As much as she may have wished to be unbiased, she did not believe they were wrong. Ru knew the people of Fenwood had produced offerings to appease the deities, performing sacred dances around the Cal'ual flames. She knew the movements by heart. She stayed silent, caught in memory. She wondered what they would think of her now.

Cassander's eyes dropped to the card, before rising to the man's face once more. His expression fell a bit. "Weeks? Then you do not know how the Empire fares?" He had hoped the Paladin would have information.

TheCountryWarrior TheCountryWarrior Duke of Doge Duke of Doge

Last edited:
The man's expression saddened, and he said somberly. "Unfortunately not sonny. I was sent to retrieve the Crown Prince, next in line for the Emperorship. When the Red Mountain exploded, you could see it from here, I rushed to what I feared would be the Ruins of Dalania. I've made it here so far and I'm on my way to the Ruins to find him. Judging by your appearances I see you came from near there. Have you any news of... anything?"

Cassander took a small step back. "You were sent... for the Prince?" He couldn't quite comprehend it at first, and once he did, he didn't believe it.

Why wouldn't you believe it? You were always meant to return.

It was true, though somewhere along the line, he had convinced himself otherwise. A small part of him even believed that his parents had forgotten about him. He hardly knew them, let alone his older brother. He didn't remember much at all of his homeland. All the same, he wouldn't lie to this man. They were bound for the Empire anyway.

"I...". He glanced to Nia, then back at the man. "I am Prince Cassander of the Holy Calcian Empire." They were words that he had said countless times before, though now they somehow felt more real. His voice was almost grave. He twisted the gold ring on his index finger. The man would have had no reason to construct such a lie. Cassander knew that what he said was true.

Ru's eyes widened as the Prince gave his identity to the man. She was a more cautious being than he, and she glanced to Dan, who still had his firearm drawn.

TheCountryWarrior TheCountryWarrior Duke of Doge Duke of Doge

Last edited:
Dan lowered and holstered his weapon. "I guess he's with you then." Nodding to Cassander he stepped back to Ru, keeping his eyes on this new stranger.

The man's eyes widened in surprise. "You-you..." He quickly kneeled, bowing his head. "Your majesty! I'm sorry I didn't recognize you. I'm glad you escaped the Shattering. If you don't mind me asking: what is the state of Dalania's royalty. I can see the Princess escaped at least." Defessus has noticed her hair as soon as she rose from the snow, anyone who know anything about current events knew about Princess Nia's hair. Rhaine Rhaine Duke of Doge Duke of Doge Uasal Uasal Caffeine Freak Caffeine Freak

Samuel, unconvinced of the stranger's intentions, ran up and hurled a conical flask at him. "Stay back, heretic!" He slurred. The glass just kind of slipped off the newcomer's armor pauldron and harmlessly splintered in the snow. Sam's shoulders slumped. "This.. this isn't over.." He panted, taking his own place to lie down in the snow.

Rhaine Rhaine TheCountryWarrior TheCountryWarrior Duke of Doge Duke of Doge

Ru watched the exchange with a heavy gaze. She was weary and cold. Sleep and warmth were the preferable course of action, but she was on guard now with the arrival of the stranger, and didn't even think to deviate from her standing position. She shivered, clinging to the thick fabric of her cloak. She looked up to Dan as he returned to her side. "It seems we have a new addition to the party." She didn't sound particularly thrilled, nor did she sound negatively inclined to the prospect. Her tone was simply weary, with perhaps the faintest note of amusement. It was almost purely a means of hearing Dan's thoughts on the situation.

Cassander shook his head, brushing the thick, dark curls from out of his eyes. "No, no, that's quite alright." He doubted he looked particularly recognizable, dressed in muted, course fabrics and covered in a sheen of ash. The thought troubled him slightly for reasons he wasn't willing to consider. He knew in terms of his safety, it was necessary for him to blend in. At the Paladin's question, his dark gaze found Nia, and he nodded gravely. "Those of us present now were the only ones to make it out of the palace." He returned his somber gaze to the Paladin, and was at once startled by the flask that was hurled at the man by Samuel.

TheCountryWarrior TheCountryWarrior Duke of Doge Duke of Doge Caffeine Freak Caffeine Freak

Dan glared at the stranger. "Indeed. One of those zealots from Calcia, and if I'm correct, one of the reasons Askary split from the Empire." Dan locked eyes with Ru. "For your sake, please, keep away from him." Dan went back to glaring at the Zealot.

Defessus stood back up and ignored the pathetic attempt on his life. "If I may say, sir, we need to return to Calcia and tell your Father what happened to Dalania. And get some smart people on why it happened."

Nia got up then. Dusting herself off. "Right then... I'll go get some firewood" she said, both to get away from the tension in the air, and to actually go get firewood. She turned on a heel and marched out towards some trees, whistling a tune to herself as she did. She was rather relived to be away from the group, traveling with the same people for days. It made her want a bit of seclusion every now and then.
Rhaine Rhaine TheCountryWarrior TheCountryWarrior Caffeine Freak Caffeine Freak Uasal Uasal

"I'll go get... something..." Samuel announced, one eye still on Defessus as he strode off in his own direction through the leering woods. If Sam was going to encounter more people clad in armor like Defessus, he realised, he'd need a more direct delivery method. "You look promising." He marveled, coming to a stop in front of a hunched tree sprouting curved, smooth shoots of wood.

After a few painful minutes of hacking, sandpapering, and carving - Samuel took his sweet time admiring his handiwork. A short bow along with three headless arrows, vials of a precarious mixture adhered to the tips of each. The arrows were stubby enough to fit into his satchel, the bow he could sling over an arm. He took the distant howling as a sign that he should return to the others.

Rhaine Rhaine TheCountryWarrior TheCountryWarrior Duke of Doge Duke of Doge Uasal Uasal

As Dan broke their gaze, Ru looked back to the Paladin with an elevated sense of curiosity, though there was caution in her form. She had experienced ignorance and harshness in Dalania from a select few. It had been a shock at the time, having only been raised by those of her own kind. Still, she knew of the Calcians. She knew how they generally looked on her people. Ru had been instructed by her people on the very subject. There was bad blood there, and yet, she didn't want to come to false conclusions. The Paladin hadn't given her any more than a brief look, and she had no reason so far to believe that he should treat her as anything lesser than the human man at her side. All the same, Dan was right to instill caution in her. "I believe I will heed your advice. Thank you." She could observe as well as she could interact. She stayed still, as still as she could be while shivering.

Cassander gave a nod, watching as Nia's figure retreated farther into the forest. "Yes. They should all be made aware." His voice was vacant, and he turned his attention back to Defessus. "For the future of Dalania, it is essential that the Princess be brought safely to Calcia. Such tragedy should make allies of us all" It was a pleasant ideal, and one that he planned to hold on to. Despite the state of Dalania, the Davion bloodline lived on. The legacy wasn't lost. Despite his own birthright, his attention was more so focused on the future of Dalania than on the future of the Empire. It was never meant to be his burden. His brother was the destined ruler.

"Now, sir, we mean to make camp. We will go no further today."

After about ten minutes, Nia returned with a armful of firewood, dropping it to the ground in the center of "camp" wasn't much of a camp, they didn't have sleeping rolls or tents. "There we go" she said as a sigh of relief. Looking out to the coast, she sighed before walking closer to the shore. "I'm going to take a-" she looked at the setting sun "soon to be moonlit walk on the beach. Hopefully the volcano didn't ruin my precious beaches."

Cassander was far too weary to match the Paladin's gusto. He gave only a nod, shivering under the thin, coarse fabric of his cloak. He looked to Nia as she returned, casting his eyes out to the coast in the wake of her words. "I can accompany you, if you like." He wouldn't follow where he was unwanted. If she meant to find solitude, he wouldn't impede her.

Ru tugged gently on the fabric of Dan's sleeve, hoping to break him from his stony guard. "You should try and relax. You're just as tired as the rest of us." Her words bent easily over concern, a feeling she was made for. She briefly glanced to the Paladin before returning to Dan. Her voice dropped to a hush. "I doubt he means to kill us in our sleep, and he seems to be all too eager to keep watch." Her breath cast ghosts into the northern air.

Duke of Doge Duke of Doge TheCountryWarrior TheCountryWarrior

Last edited:
Nia thought for a moment while her eyes scanned the shore. Before turning back to Cassander "Yeah, come along. It'd be dumb for any of us to be alone for too long" she would tell him, waiting just a moment before walking down to the beach, which was surprisingly clean of ash due to the tides. Once reaching the point where the waves lapped up onto shore, she took of her cloak, satchel, and shoes. Walking into the water until it just reached her ankles. She smiled "Hey! The water is warm!" She said happily, enjoying the sensation as she walked down the beach.
Rhaine Rhaine

Dan's gaze softened as he looked to her, and he felt a wave of exhaustion crash over him. He sat down near the fire and sighed. "I suppose your right."

Defessus was off to the side, sword and sheild in hand, slashing and blocking against some imaginary enemy.
Rhaine Rhaine

Ru sat down beside him, holding her cloak tightly around her form, her pale knuckles washed scarlet with the cold. She watched Defessus do battle with invisible enemies, and a slightly amused quirk came to her features. Her voice retained its quiet nature. "He seems very...enthusiastic? Would that be the right word? Keen, maybe?" The long days of travel had taken their toll on her. She was a wisp of a girl with proper nourishment and rest. There was a pallor to her skin and a weakness to her movement, and she could never seem to get warm enough. All the same, Ru did her best to be light-hearted. She didn't think acting sullen would do anyone any good.

Cassander followed after Nia, his brow bending slightly as she made for the water. He expected her to quickly retreat, bitten by cold, but she only spoke of warmth. His eyes widened in surprise, and he quickly discarded his shoes and cloak, joining her along the shore. The warm waves rose up to his ankles, and he sighed. His eyes slipped closed for a moment. He relished in any heat he was lucky enough to grasp. He bent, catching water in his hands. "I'm tempted to swim. I didn't expect it to be warm." He voiced his thought, though it was laughable, considering the snow on the ground just a few feet away. Being raised in Dalania had made no difference - he had never taken to the cold. He wasn't built for it.

Last edited:
Dan watched the Paladin fight an onslaught of imaginary demons. His expression softened when he looked towards Ru, though he kept glancing at the Paladin as if waiting for a wrong move on his part, and he spoke in a hushed tone. "Seems so. For all we know he has the best chance out of all of us of fighting that demon from the caves, should it return." He shook his head, trying to banish the nightmarish creature from his head. "I'm sorry. I don't mean to bring it back up, I'm just paranoid.

The Paladin was listening as well as he could while he fought. He perked up when the mean looking one mentioned a demon. He spun around, and smiled at the two. "Did you say daemon!? Have you seen one!?"

Rhaine Rhaine

Last edited:
Nia couldn't help but laugh "this happens about half the year. Trade current from the empire's area of sea moves warm water over here, the other half, we return the favor." She told him, then looking out to sea. "I-If you wanna swim, go ahead" she had considered it herself...
Rhaine Rhaine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back