• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy [Closed] A nation in havoc

Dan kept looking around the scenery for danger as he walked on. "If anyone even looks at me hungrily, they'll be on the ground in a pool of their own blood before they can say 'food'. Now stop joking about eating people. Some survivors may have already turned to cannabalism. No one's going to eat you Ru, not these people anyway." In Dan's opinion, joking about eating people was rather distasteful given the current circumstance... and they had upset Ru so screw them.
Rhaine Rhaine Duke of Doge Duke of Doge Caffeine Freak Caffeine Freak Uasal Uasal

Sam began juggling the stones instead. "It's been like one day, Dan. I sure nobody's turned cannibal. Besides, I don't exactly see a whole lot of survivors. Do you?" A pointed glance at the vast wasteland that surrounded them. "Though I guess in the mean time we've got some minerals to snack on." Sam held up one of the stones.

Rhaine Rhaine Duke of Doge Duke of Doge TheCountryWarrior TheCountryWarrior Uasal Uasal

Ru was a bit comforted as Dan addressed her, though his last words sent an eerie feeling down her spine. Who knew what they would encounter down the road? She listened to Sam, her green gaze tracing along the horizon with heavy bearing. She shook her head almost vacantly.

"We can't be the only survivors, and I'm sure it wasn't just Dalania that was affected." Her voice was a bit faint, and her expression turned somber.

Ru's thoughts briefly turned to Fenwood, to her home, but on instinct, she stopped that particular train of thought in its tracks.

Duke of Doge Duke of Doge TheCountryWarrior TheCountryWarrior Caffeine Freak Caffeine Freak Uasal Uasal

Ru listened intently to Nia's words, giving a quiet hum of acknowledgment. "That's a relief. At least the whole world isn't it ruins." Her voice was quiet, and her eyes panned the grey wasteland that sprawled out before them. From where they walked, it was hard to believe that somewhere the world was bright and bustling just the same as always.

Cassander glanced up at Dan's question, his eyes subsequently finding Nia. "We're heading south, yes? To Manzant? I believe that was the initial plan." The compass felt almost heavy against his palm. He gazed down at the arrow, waiting for confirmation.

Duke of Doge Duke of Doge TheCountryWarrior TheCountryWarrior Caffeine Freak Caffeine Freak

Ru's brow bent as she spotted something on the horizon. It had been nothing before, just a small, dark shape, but as they pushed forward it grew to be recognizable. She squinted, trying to make it out with clarity though she already knew what it was. Dread curled thick in her chest. "I don't believe you'll have to imagine for very much longer." She briefly touched Dan's arm to capture his attention, and she pointed out towards it.

Ru's words had caught Cassander's gaze, and he followed her gesture out to the horizon. His dark eyes widened slightly. "That can't be what I think it is." He knew it was a village, though it was only a ruined, hollow imitation of one. A corpse of a town. He didn't want to continue towards it, though his body brought him ever forward.

TheCountryWarrior TheCountryWarrior Duke of Doge Duke of Doge Caffeine Freak Caffeine Freak Uasal Uasal

Ru followed with hurried step, securing her satchel closed. She pressed the crook of her elbow to her nose and mouth, green eyes fervent as they traced the grey, broken shapes that were once houses. She moved with distress in her limbs, the shadows cast by the blackened, crumbled buildings swallowing her up. Her steps slowed, and she came to the doorstep of a house. Nia was right. They had to search for survivors, but to her dismay, the smell of death pervaded the air. She stepped through the thresh-hold. "Hello? Is anyone here?"

There were bodies crushed by a part of the roof that had fallen. She had expected the sight, but she wasn't ready for it all the same. There was a child.

She left the house as fast as she could manage, the sight written all over her face. She ran her hands through her dark hair, shaking her head. She took a moment. She knew she would have to harden herself to the sight, but at the moment she was far from unaffected.

Duke of Doge Duke of Doge TheCountryWarrior TheCountryWarrior Caffeine Freak Caffeine Freak

Nia continued to search, only a few houses were intact. But they were empty. Searching through the houses, she managed so scavange up a change of clothes, small canteen, and nothing else worth taking. She then went into a room only to find a family of three turned to statues by ash and heat, forever stuck in a last embrace. (like Pompeii). Her hand covered her mouth and nose as she stared on in shock, unsure what to do.
Rhaine Rhaine TheCountryWarrior TheCountryWarrior Caffeine Freak Caffeine Freak

Nothing Cassander saw here could rival the horror of the creature he had turned to stone, but it weighed heavily on him all the same. He was still a child in many ways, with all the tender sensibilities of youth. Just the same, he knew when to cut off the ache in his chest. Detached and numb, he made his way through the buildings, his dark eyes detecting no sign of life. At some point, he found a change of clothes, and he donned them, replacing his scarlet tunic and fine breeches. He had stood out unforgivably before, but now he blended in well enough in the coarse, muted colors.

He reappeared, finding Nia easily. "I don't think there are any survivors." His voice was grave.

Ru had brushed away any tears that had gathered in the wake of the barren desolation. She had never dealt well with death, especially of innocents. Her green gaze was red-rimmed, but she went on all the same, searching. Along the way she replaced her light cloak for a new one. It was heavy, and it billowed long over her figure, shielding her from the wind.

She didn't want to lose the others, and she didn't stray far. She returned soon enough. Her breath came shallow.

Samuel fiddled with a pendant and a screwdriver, prying loose its gemstone. "Not everyday you see one of these." He muttered under his breath, dropping the stone into the confines of his satchel and tossing the remaining gold chain aside. "Thanks." He tipped an imaginary hat to the ash figure curled up on the scorched bed, an expression of agony molded to their features.

Wandering back outside, he saw Ru stumble out of the house he'd seen her and Nia check out. It didn't take much observation to see she was clearly distressed, Sam didn't waste any time hurrying over to her. "Hey, Ru, what's the matter? Did something happen?"

TheCountryWarrior TheCountryWarrior Rhaine Rhaine Duke of Doge Duke of Doge
[Away, foul assignments!]

Dan continued sweeping the area, weapon in hand, searching for anything useful. Any trace of something edible was reduced to ash, and any water was merely vapor in the air. The bodies of the villagers were seemingly flash frozen in ashy stone, and each one (young and old) wore a picture of agony too horrific to describe, for there are no words for it. Dan barely noticed the bodies as he moved. He saw Ru stumble out of a house, the distress of seeing the same scene they all saw written across her face. Dan sighed. "I agree. We should go. There's nothing here but death." Dan waited for Ru to walk so he could walk with her.
Rhaine Rhaine Duke of Doge Duke of Doge Caffeine Freak Caffeine Freak Uasal Uasal

Ru began to walk with the others, glancing to the men at her side, Samuel and Dan, with a heavy gaze. She shook her head a few times, coughing into the crook of her elbow before speaking. "Oh no, Mr. Weiss, it's just... there was a child. I just don't think I was ready for such a horrible sight." Her own words made her want to cry, but she had already dried her tears. Her head was bent, eyes staying fixed to the ground beneath her. She didn't want to see anymore. She tugged vacantly on a dark strand of her hair, feeling helpless and frightened in the wake of such disaster and death. She crossed her arms, hugging her own form. She was glad that they were leaving. She didn't think she could spend another moment in the corpse of a village. In the rational part of her mind, she knew it wouldn't be the last they would encounter on their way.

Caffeine Freak Caffeine Freak TheCountryWarrior TheCountryWarrior

Samuel cocked his head to the side. Sympathy for strangers wasn't something that had crossed his mind until this point, and while it ate him up to see his friend disheartened, he could find nothing inside himself to place him on the same level. When he tried forcing the emotions, none came. "I don't know what to say..." He muttered, and he meant it. Some part of him flared up in frustration at his blocked-faucet sympathy, yet it was gone in the same moment. "Let's just go. There's nothing left for us here." Sam turned round, trudging onward after Nia.

Rhaine Rhaine TheCountryWarrior TheCountryWarrior Duke of Doge Duke of Doge

Nia continued down the path, kicking a small stone along as she did. Pulling her cloak around herself, it was warming and provided comfort. It was like her mother was holding her, providing a safe embrace and telling you "its going to be ok" even when the odds were stacked against you.

Walking in silence for a long time, and making good distance, she finally spoke up, a simple question, said in a faint voice "anyone know what time it is?"
Rhaine Rhaine TheCountryWarrior TheCountryWarrior Caffeine Freak Caffeine Freak

Samuel licked a finger and held it to the wind. After a moment, he replied, "I have absolutely no idea. No, wait.." He fished out his pocket watch and flicked it open. "It is... Midnight."

The sun glazed over them.

"Oh.. I seem to have smashed it during the encounter a while back." He tapped quizzically at the splintered glass. The watch hands stood frozen. "I'll fix that later." He mumbled, dropping it into his satchel.

Rhaine Rhaine TheCountryWarrior TheCountryWarrior Duke of Doge Duke of Doge

Some time later...​

Samuel began swaying on his legs. Although the sapphire edge of the coast was now in view, he found himself unable to continue. "Hey..." He started, hands braced on his thighs. "Maybe... Maybe we should set up camp here? We could always continue at sunrise." Indeed, the sun had sank quickly, Samuel didn't realise how compressed the hours had become when he just spent them doing nothing but walking.

Duke of Doge Duke of Doge TheCountryWarrior TheCountryWarrior Rhaine Rhaine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back