• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern CITRON: Cryptid Intervention and Response Unit [Urban Fantasy Secret Organisation RP]

Corrosion

ur lite fades awey
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I'm sure everyone's heard of werewolves and vampires. They're two of the most popular supernatural entities out there. There're hundreds of stories that feature the two of them, most oftentimes depicting them as violent creatures who prey on the innocent. Others portray them in a more sympathetic light, being friendly or mostly harmless yet unable to anything about their nature. Some of them even showing them bitter enemies who stopped at nothing to see the other side eradicated. Everyone's also heard of fairies and mermaids and yetis and the Loch Ness Monster. But they're just that: stories written by some very creative minds hoping to make their ideas known, publish a bestseller and strike it rich, maybe even strike a deal with some major movie studio. They're all fabrications.

Except they're not.

They're real. All of them are. They're the things that go bump in the night, the creatures that lurk in the shadows, shying away from the ever watchful yet ignorant eye of humanity. Monsters, demons, cryptids, call them what you will. They've walked the earth for millennia, even before the dawn of humanity. Early humans cowered in fear of them, pleading for their lives as they erected vast monuments to deliver them from salvation. As time passed, however, their numbers dwindled and ours rose. These creatures became mythologised, becoming the stuff of legend as humanity forgot about its past, wondering how it could be so stupid and illogical.

And so, as mankind's knowledge of the world and technological advancement increased these very creatures that humanity once feared were forgotten, these days nothing more than campfire stories to keep horny teens awake at night, or bedtime stories that would have a happy ending and some generic moral that would keep young children entertained for days. Today, you've heard of all these so-called monster sightings that get laughed off, the eyewitness seen as the town lunatic or merely some guy seeking attention. The world knows that monsters are simple myths.

In truth, that's because we make it that way.

Enter the Cryptid Intervention and Response Unit (CITRON), a secretive organisation funded by the world's major governments, with operatives pulled from the best the world has to offer. Founded in the late nineteenth-century, the organisation is devoted to the sole goal of protecting humanity from these monsters. Operatives pledge allegiance to no country or flag, but to humanity as a whole. Given essentially unlimited funding and state of the art technology with operatives from the world's best militaries, we intend to fulfill that objective, no matter the risk. We hunt monsters to protect the innocent. By that, I mean both human and cryptid.

You see, not all of them are hellbent on wiping humanity from the face of the earth. Many intelligent cryptids have friends and family, just like any one of us. Some are legitimately helpful to our cause, dedicated to stopping those who give them a bad name, those who tarnish their reputation. Take Sasquatches, for example. Contrary to popular belief, they are, in fact, a peaceful and docile people who wouldn't even dream of hurting humanity. Or the werewolves, most of which live in tightly-knit packs and try to live a peaceful coexistence with mankind. It's why we're allied with them. There are even some others like dragons who honestly prefer to mind their own business, staying out of human contact.

But when we get word of a cryptid or a group of them that do pose a threat to mankind, then the gloves come off. We mobilise and eliminate the threat with no impunity. We do not stop unless the threat is absolutely neutralised. That way, we can be sure that the threat, no matter how big or small, will never pose a threat to humanity ever again.

After all, quite a number of these threats can pose a risk to all of humanity, and we've put down multiple extinction events before.

Why, you may ask? It is because we must. Mankind must not go back to hiding in the shadows and cowering in fear. While our exploits will be erased and our deeds forgotten, we will be dying in the dark so that humanity will live in the light. We will give our lives for the good of many.

After all, there is nothing bullets cannot cure.

- EXALT, Director of CITRON
oie_transparent_7.png

------------------------------------​

Welcome to CITRON, an RP based on works such as the SCP Foundation and XCOM, but most importantly, inspired by this series. I loved the concept and decided to expand on it in my own way.

What CITRON Actually Is: As explained by super mysterious head of CITRON Director EXALT himself, CITRON is a global top-secret organisation dedicated to protecting humanity from threats and preventing the knowledge of the existence of cryptids and other supernatural entities from becoming widespread. It is backed and supported by nearly every country in the world, and is, in essence, able to pull the strings on world powers. It also has access to advanced technology no one else in the world knows of. Think XCOM, but without aliens and a lot more secretive. It investigates and responds to everything and anything involving potential cryptid activity and supernatural, such as claims of Bigfoot sightings, alleged werewolf encounters, and bodies found drained of blood. But not UFO sightings. There are other people to do that.

Setting: The RP itself takes place in an alternate reality almost identical to our own in the near-future year of 2021, and in it, players may take on the role of either a CITRON operative, an intelligent cryptid, or both. When I say 'intelligent cryptid', I mean cryptids with humanlike levels of intelligence and the ability to communicate verbally, such as werewolves and vampires. As the full list of cryptids is incredibly vast, we'll probably expect to see an incredibly varied selection of cryptid players. In fact, you may even form your own kind of cryptid, should you wish. Much of the story will take place in the US, and mainly in Colorado and the surrounding region, since CITRON Headquarters is located there. However, there may be missions that take place outside the US.

Story: The plot will mainly revolve around the field operations and activities of our characters. Like many of the stories this RP was inspired by, the early portions of the RP will involve characters participating in various missions, until intelligence reports a sudden spike in activity in several locations around the world, and towns suddenly getting destroyed. As such, CITRON teams are deployed to investigate.

Character Creation Guide: As for CITRON, since it is a secret paramilitary organisation with characters who were special forces or previously in the military or police, try to be realistic when you sign up your characters. Operatives can come from any country in the world. You don't have to be entirely accurate, as I doubt any of us have any actual military experience, or special forces experience for that matter. But I won't accept blatant teenage Mary Sues who are doctors with PhDs at age eleven and have an IQ of 240 and are liked by literally everyone and can solve every case in like five seconds. That's just idiotic and completely unrealistic. Now, the types of cryptid you may play as can vary, such as your typical werewolves and vampires, to the atypical such as dragons and hybrids. And yes, I will also allow beastfolk, which are essentially humans with animal features such as cat ears or tails. So you can sign up as an anime catgirl and I'll most likely accept it.

Refer to this list to get a better idea of what kinds of things CITRON deals with.

Members must be dedicated enough to keep this going.

If you have any questions, ask away.

A reboot of my old CITRON plot I started in March that never left the ground.

Last edited:
That's going to be a little tricky. What kind of cryptid are you going for?
I was thinking one that did a good job blending in. (and even possible with a background similar to a changeling) Perhaps a vampire. Maybe an ogre (in regards to japanese culture and also if the changeling background didn't work out). Or I know you mentioned inventing cryptids. So a humanoid with hemokinesis or something along those lines.

Maybe they were switched at birth as a pureblood vampire child (depending on the lore involving vampires in this universe) and it was something citron had been aware of but decided to keep quiet about. Maybe even the parents. They grew up thinking they were human but knew something was off when say meals weren't giving them proper sustenance and they often went in for blood transfusions or the parents who were in on it gave her a special concoction to help. The ruse could only go on for so long before they told them and it was that time that Citron stepped in and recruited them

Maybe they were switched at birth as a pureblood vampire child (depending on the lore involving vampires in this universe) and it was something citron had been aware of but decided to keep quiet about. Maybe even the parents. They grew up thinking they were human but knew something was off when say meals weren't giving them proper sustenance and they often went in for blood transfusions or the parents who were in on it gave her a special concoction to help. The ruse could only go on for so long before they told them and it was that time that Citron stepped in and recruited them

CITRON doesn't exactly recruit random people off the streets, even if they were unknowingly vampires for most of their lives. Since CITRON has a closed-door recruitment policy, potential recruits have to do something to gain the attention of the organisation, such as performing exceptionally in the field, having extensive knowledge of cryptids and the supernatural, or just being able to survive an encounter with a dangerous creatures. Even if CITRON was well aware of the fact that your character is a vampire, they still wouldn't step in to recruit him/her, and would instead opt to keep watch from afar. While the concept is acceptable, your character has to do something, or perhaps your character is an exceptionally powerful vampire, since CITRON only recruits the best of the best.

CITRON doesn't exactly recruit random people off the streets, even if they were unknowingly vampires for most of their lives. Since CITRON has a closed-door recruitment policy, potential recruits have to do something to gain the attention of the organisation, such as performing exceptionally in the field, having extensive knowledge of cryptids and the supernatural, or just being able to survive an encounter with a dangerous creatures. Even if CITRON was well aware of the fact that your character is a vampire, they still wouldn't step in to recruit him/her, and would instead opt to keep watch from afar. While the concept is acceptable, your character has to do something, or perhaps your character is an exceptionally powerful vampire, since CITRON only recruits the best of the best.
I was thinking they would be exceptionally powerful but more than that, she would excel greatly at certain studies, taking on maybe a more scientific role or one that can profile psychology of various cryptids. Incredibly intelligent, maybe exceptional in her field of study and has a doctorate or two. Devotes herself to her field and more than that, something she wouldn't be able to release to the public, has instigated her own investigation and research on cryptids which would be where she acquired her knowledge on their behavior. So she wouldn't be very skilled in combat or the likes, and on an off note for balancing purposes, might be a bit awkward and antisocial, but she'd be more of the informative. The one who could step in on cases that have less to do with just putting a bullet in a cryptid and maybe more about finding and capturing one. Or reasoning with one.

Would that work?

I was thinking they would be exceptionally powerful but more than that, she would excel greatly at certain studies, taking on maybe a more scientific role or one that can profile psychology of various cryptids. Incredibly intelligent, maybe exceptional in her field of study and has a doctorate or two. Devotes herself to her field and more than that, something she wouldn't be able to release to the public, has instigated her own investigation and research on cryptids which would be where she acquired her knowledge on their behavior. So she wouldn't be very skilled in combat or the likes, and on an off note for balancing purposes, might be a bit awkward and antisocial, but she'd be more of the informative. The one who could step in on cases that have less to do with just putting a bullet in a cryptid and maybe more about finding and capturing one. Or reasoning with one.

Would that work?

Yes, that would work. Non-combat operatives more or less function as support personnel, working in research and development or intelligence, among other things.

Great to have you all on board. We probably just need a few more people before we can start.

Great to have you all on board. We probably just need a few more people before we can start.
You already have around 6-8 people that are interested.

You could probably work on an OOC and CS to be honest.

Not forcing you, but suggesting and giving good recommendations.

By the way, I'm about to have an exam, so the thing will be up later today.

Love this idea, question: can I be a type of werecat? And just to confirm, cryptids usually aren’t on the operative team right? So she would be on the hunted end?

Love this idea, question: can I be a type of werecat? And just to confirm, cryptids usually aren’t on the operative team right? So she would be on the hunted end?

I wouldn't say 'hunted', since CITRON is mostly neutral/friendly to cryptids who don't pose an immediate threat to humanity and simply want to live their own lives.

I'm immensely interested. As someone who loves operating and stuff, this seems like an ideal roleplay. A former Delta Force operative with prior experience with Cryptids would fit right in, right?

Edit: To clarify, the prior experience means that he had run-ins with Cryptids but was uneducated as to what they are during the time of the incidents.

Last edited:
I'm immensely interested. As someone who loves operating and stuff, this seems like an ideal roleplay. A former Delta Force operative with prior experience with Cryptids would fit right in, right?

Edit: To clarify, the prior experience means that he had run-ins with Cryptids but was uneducated as to what they are during the time of the incidents.

Of course. Many of CITRON's field operatives were former Tier One operators.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back