Character Theory Characters and Poetry??

laceanddoodles

Your run of the mill Victorian lady
So, I’m writing this one character in this one rp, and the whole time, I’ve been thinking about the poem “Invictus” by William Earnest Henley.

And I got to thinking about that— how I connect poetry and songs and words to my characters, and what those connections do to how I see and write them.

So what I want to do is start a little game. Write up a two or three sentence blurb about your character premise, then share a poem, song, title of a short story, whatever, that you somehow connect to the character and informs how you write them. I’ll start.

Aurora is an eleven year old girl, who was recently thrust onto the throne of her kingdom as the reigning queen. The hated daughter of a hated king, she is surrounded by people who wish to either kill her or control her, and she is only holding onto her life and her power by sheer force of courage and will.

The poem, “Invictus.”

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

This is fun and a big part of my writing process. You can't read any of my work without tripping over a reference to The Waste Land. Although it more often informs the overall themes and mood of a narrative than individual characters. Same goes for song titles or particular lyrics.
But I'm sure I have something from the rare times I play rather than run an RP here somewhere...

This is fun and a big part of my writing process. You can't read any of my work without tripping over a reference to The Waste Land. Although it more often informs the overall themes and mood of a narrative than individual characters. Same goes for song titles or particular lyrics.
But I'm sure I have something from the rare times I play rather than run an RP here somewhere...
Ooooooo nice!! I haven’t read that one. I’ll have to sit down and spend some time on it, I think. It looks meaty. :)

"Return to the Sea" seems to fit Tya Captain Slang, my The Lotus Blossoms! character.
return-to-the-sea-2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back