Character Pictures?

LegoLad659

Fairy Queen
Supporter
Roleplay Type(s)
Why do people have such strong feelings towards whether a character has a realistic or anime picture? I mean, I do prefer anime pictures myself, because I like the style, and I think there's a lot more you can do with a drawing than with a picture of a real person, but overall I don't really care which style the other roleplayers use.

But I've seen several 'Looking for Partners' threads where the OP insists on using a realistic picture for both sides. It makes me a bit uncomfortable, because it seems like you're being elitist about a detail that really, in my opinion anyway, doesn't matter at all. Who cares whether it's realistic or anime? It's still representative of your character, and if your character looks the way the picture depicts, then it's done its job.

Sorry if I'm coming off a little strong here, I'm just confused as to why some people explicitly and plainly state in their searching thread 'Absolutely NO anime pictures'.

Because people are different and have different tastes. However, some are just being pricks, so... yeah.

LegoLad659 said:
Who cares whether it's realistic or anime? It's still representative of your character, and if your character looks the way the picture depicts, then it's done its job.
Because fictional settings typically maintain a certain level of aesthetic consistency.

Bone2pick said:
Because fictional settings typically maintain a certain level of aesthetic consistency.
Okay, I'll concede that point. But I don't really understand why people make such a big deal out of it. I had one person just up and leave simply because I didn't have a realistic picture for my character. I won't name who it was, but seriously, once I posted the CS, she asked if I had a more realistic picture. When I said I didn't, she said we weren't a match, and left without giving me a chance to reply.

I personally prefer anime (because I can't draw anything but that) but I have no problem with what others use as their appearance, be it a drawing, a photo or even a description. And so I don't think I'll be able to fully understand why people get picky with them, though I do accept a roleplay creator's right to require a certain medium. The only thing that I can possibly think of is that it's easier to picture scenes or visualize what's happening in the posts if all the characters look alike, without it becoming something akin to Who Framed Roger Rabbit. I suppose I'm sort of similar in that aspect but, like I had said before, I don't have a problem with this. Mainly because whether or not you have an anime picture, you've become an anime character in my mind.

Still, what this person did to you seems a tad extreme. To think that someone would actually leave you do to the style of your picture choice. I mean, it's not like those pictures would pop up any time during the actual rp unless you're the type of person to do that. Peculiar. Well, I'm sure you'll find plenty partners though who don't mind so good luck with that.

amdreams said:
I don't have a problem with this. Mainly because whether or not you have an anime picture, you've become an anime character in my mind.
Right, and I do that too. It's not difficult to alter the style of what the character looks like in your mind, at least it's not for me.

amdreams said:
Still, what this person did to you seems a tad extreme. To think that someone would actually leave you do to the style of your picture choice. I mean, it's not like those pictures would pop up any time during the actual rp unless you're the type of person to do that. Peculiar. Well, I'm sure you'll find plenty partners though who don't mind so good luck with that.
I agree. I wish I were joking about this, but I'm not - She literally left solely because my character's picture wasn't realistic. And you do have a point, we only ever have to see the pictures once, to get an idea of what the character looks like.

And don't worry, I do have plenty of partners, some of which do use realistic pictures, and they don't mind at all ( :) ) It's just the elitists like the one above I have issues with.

I've seem some pretty strict rules detailed in a lot of role-plays and really if it's all laid out early on then I see no elitism in wanting one thing over another (be it the FC pictures or be it rp format or strictly wanting to role-play one gender or sexuality). It's all preference and I mean that's the point of this forum so you can find the specific type of role-play that you like the best. If it's all laid out at the beginning then you get to see what you are ok with or not and react accordingly.

What doesn't bother you doesn't apply to everyone. It may seem petty or stupid but if it's seriously bothering them enough that they feel like they can't role-play when the FC's are not one way or another I think it's as legitimate a reason than anything else I've seen around here.

If they were rude about it though then that's another story. It's one thing to outline your preferences, it's another to shit on other people for there's. So I hope that person wasn't being rude to you, now that is elitism.

I think for me, finding a good anime picture is harder, for one. But I've also never quite been able to shake the feeling that I'm somehow "stealing" the art. So I limit myself to the images published by published mangas and animes (reasoning that their artists have "made it" sort of, and aren't as desperately in need of recognition). Then there's the problem of diversity: almost all anime characters are Japanese/randomly-colored, thin, and good-looking (or absurdly ugly). I find that a bit constrictive, and I've spent an embarrassing number of hours looking for the right character as a result.

But! Different strokes for different folks. I'm not going to throw a fit of a rp insists on anime pics, nor am I going to get real pushy about my real-person preference.

I actually prefer written descriptions the majority of the time. If I use an existing image, I always associate the image with the original character or person, so it doesn't feel like my character.

Especially with anime pictures, where I recognize pretty much every single character, it never feels original enough for me. However, when the RP insists on anime picture, I'm nearly always able to design and draw my own character, so there's usually no problem there. When it comes to realism, I just provide a written description.

Personally, it's a consistency thing. If I GM an RP, I will make a rule stating the type of picture required or - if that type of picture cannot be found - to write a description instead. If I'm in a one on one, I will agree with the other person beforehand on the type of picture required.

Every time I see characters of clashing art styles together, I get irked. It makes me think of Space Jam and I immediately cannot take whatever the story was seriously. Cartoon characters don't belong in a realistic setting and vice versa.

Therefore, if you say "Whatever you feel like" when I ask about the type of picture, I post - say - an anime picture, and you post a realistic picture, I will be pissed the hell off (especially since I specify my reasons for asking every single time I ask that question, which is always).

Likewise, no matter how good an RP is, if I look through the bios and there's an aesthetics inconsistency among characters, I will either avoid that particular character (if only one person is at fault) or not join the RP altogether (if there are multiple offenders).

Does that make me miss out on some potentially good RPs? Very possibly. But I need that kind of consistency in my life.

If you cannot find a picture in the style everyone has agreed on, post a description instead. Those do the job perfectly fine, most RPs require a description anyway while the picture is (usually) optional, and you don't look like the guy who can't follow directions.

I see character pictures as a "stop light" kind of deal. When I say Red, it doesn't mean Yellow. Don't slow down. Stop completely. Likewise, stopping at a green light? Bad.

I don't ask that the art style perfectly match, of course, that's impossible. Different photographs (in the case of realistic) are stylized differently. Artists - whether in fantasy or even in anime/manga - have different art styles that distinguish themselves from one another, but I think its reasonable to ask for a minimum of consistency.

But yeah, that's just me.

I agree that a lot of the time it is a consistency thing, especially for group roleplays. At least for me, if I join a roleplay or see that my partner has chosen a particular picture, then I will try and find something that is in similar style. I wouldn't want to try and imagine their character as, say, a real human while in my mind my character is animesque. I'm picky about art styles and personally feel a little offput if a CG or more realistically drawn image is used by one person while an anime style one is used by another. Also, there's the matter with what is considered art theft. Some artists aren't comfortable with their art being used without their permission.

However, it is very much a personal preference. For me, I do prefer using art, but I have no problem with real life pictures either. I tend to adapt to my partner. Nowadays, I mostly use description.

For a variety of reasons but I think the biggest reason people might prefer realistic over drawn (or visa versa) pictures is visualisation. Some people find it easier to visualise anime-esque drawings. Others find it easier (or more pleasing) to visualise real people. Consistancy in style has to be the other main reason. I was on a roleplay board based on the Rise of the Guardians film (+ The Guardians of Childhood book series) and, since the film was completely animated and the books only had illistrations, it was actually encouraged for people faceclaims to be drawing. Not... anime. But drawing. I've known a lot of anime-based boards that prefer anime drawings, too. But a board based on a TV show like, say, Supernatural wants real life actors because... well all the canon characters are going to have actors as their face claims.

But when it comes to one-on-one rps, I think it becomes less reasonable. I guess one-on-one people just can't visualise certain mediums of face claims. Or maybe they can't take anime face claims seriously. I know if anyone wanted to RP with me but their face claim was Amanda Heard I would just have to flat-out decline - I had a long & terrible RP experience with someone who's faceclaim was her and I just can't take her face seriously anymore.

So... yeah.

spiderlegs said:
[...] Then there's the problem of diversity: almost all anime characters are Japanese/randomly-colored, thin, and good-looking (or absurdly ugly). [...]
(Tell me if I'm misunderstanding, but your point here is anime is not very diverse - it has mostly Japanese people who are conventionally attractive aka. thin and good-looking?)

Because yeah but... that's true for realistic, too. It takes pretty significant effort to find non-white actors if you don't already know any names or resources to begin with. No matter finding physically disabled people, finding fat people or finding people who just arn't conventionally attractive (because... almost all actors are conventionally attractive). And forget finding any non-conventionally attractive woman - even a white one. Like, okay maybe some plus-sized actors. But an unconventional face? Nope.

Urgh more diversity in realistic faceclaims come on please.

(I did a tally on a Supernatural roleplay board once and out of something like 30 characters about 25-28 characters were white. It was despicable seriously.)

Personally, I don't really like realistic pictures, simply because it's hard for me to visualize. It's hard for me to pick out the particulars of a face in a picture and tell it apart from others (I was watching Orphan Black with a friend and it was like - "is she supposed to be a twin? Is she supposed to be a twin? Is she supposed t-"). I also can't really tell ages, period. With drawn pictures, it's easier.

But yeah, I agree, the conventionally attractive thing is definitely a problem. Ugh.

ganymede said:
Personally, I don't really like realistic pictures, simply because it's hard for me to visualize. It's hard for me to pick out the particulars of a face in a picture and tell it apart from others (I was watching Orphan Black with a friend and it was like - "is she supposed to be a twin? Is she supposed to be a twin? Is she supposed t-"). I also can't really tell ages, period. With drawn pictures, it's easier.
But yeah, I agree, the conventionally attractive thing is definitely a problem. Ugh.
(Did you ever see Pacific Rim? Because I had this similar problem with... uh the main guy and the Aussie guy. With Raleigh Becket and Chuck Hansen. Their actors looked way too similar and I seriously mixed them up several times during the film.)

Jaye said:
(Did you ever see Pacific Rim? Because I had this similar problem with... uh the main guy and the Aussie guy. With Raleigh Becket and Chuck Hansen. Their actors looked way too similar and I seriously mixed them up several times during the film.)
I haven't, but just looking them up I can definitely see what you mean. If I ever get around to watching it, I'll probably mix them up the whole movie tbh.

I agree with @amdreams for me the reason I tend to prefer real pictures is simply a matter of consistency.

Not just to avoid a Roger Rabbit motif but also because even within anime or illustrated works the quality of a picture varies greatly from cartoonish to hyper realistic.

Now that's not to say if my partner prefers anime I won't use them, I just try my best to match their style of art with my own character.

The only thing is if for instance they are a shapeshifter that can take multiple forms I ask that all forms be the same style. Because otherwise it's like your character turned into a cartoon and it kinds of breaks the suspension of disbelief for me.

But even still I'm not going to quit if you say you only have the pictures you've shown me. At worst I'll just look up either anime or real world equivalents to your images for you.

I hate finding character pictures regardless. I just do. The only trend I have ever noticed is that it is significantly easier to find an accurate portrayal of a character if they are ethnic or in a formal suit when it is a portrait versus an anime picture. Written descriptions are fantastic, but I can't deny a picture helps. Actually, it's the fact that a picture helps which is likely why many GM's prefer one or the other. If the purpose of a picture is to help envision a character, then it becomes an odd image when you have varying picture-types.

A picture does say a thousand words. Also, people have different aesthetics in mind. But in my honest opinion, it's all about function. I actually give a good amount of picture mercy whether or not it is anime or realistic. Your mileage may vary regarding this though.

With me, I prefer realistic pictures. Mainly because it can be hard finding a diverse character from differentiating backgrounds due to the "anime-style" which is associated with art. It's really hard to make an Arabian or African-American or Indian (not Native American) character at times because the art I do find does not exactly fit into the content I utilize, I can do anime rather than realistic but there is something about the realism of a picture that makes me prefer it more.

I tend to dislike anime pictures, where that stems from is probably a combination of multiple things. But in general? I prefer written descriptions, and I almost never post a picture with my character. If I had the skill to draw my own characters and be able to illustrate how I picture them, I would; seeing as how I don't, written descriptions are my go-to for describing my character. I personally don't have any problem with anyone demanding certain things, as my view on it is that as long as it doesn't break the global rules then I have absolutely no problem with it (not that I have a problem with people not following RPNation rules outside of the site, but seeing as how we're using RPNation as a host for our RP rules are obviously enforced) no matter what it is. So if the OP has any sorts of demands, it's entirely up to him to do whatever he likes for the RP no matter how others see it, in my eyes. I simply believe in a self-moderation policy for people when it comes to websites like this. Any time I've ever made RPs I've generally not had a restriction on what kind of images could be used, but I understand everyone has their reasons (or lack thereof, which is still valid) so I go with the flow on such matters or decline the RP entirely.

I really don't care for anime pictures myself to be honest. Sure, some of the artwork is nice, and if you like them more power to you, but I really just can't wrap my head around them. I don't see them as 'realistic' probably because they are just cartoonish (most of the time). Plus I have had some bad experiences that have caused them to leave a bad taste in my mouth as well. But I digress.

I don't like using pictures to describe characters in general. I have met people who are great with graphics and photo manipulation, who are able to essentially create their own images. Sadly, I am not one of those people... Not to mention, if I see someone using say Johnny Depp for their character's image, and then I see someone else using his image, it just feels off to me. I don't mean to come off negatively when I say this, but I would rather use my own imagination for my character. And even when people do provide images, I end up picturing them differently in my head anyway.

A written description is a lot easer for me to comprehend than someone who just slaps a picture down and expects everyone to see their character that way.

It's all a matter of preference, I suppose.

I can see the appeal of images, anime or realistic, but they aren't for me. But, I will say that I'll use images if I'm elaborating something (like clothing) on a character sheet or mid-post. And ask the same of people who want to use images if I'm running a roleplay.

SpamBot said:
I really don't care for anime pictures myself to be honest. Sure, some of the artwork is nice, and if you like them more power to you, but I really just can't wrap my head around them. I don't see them as 'realistic' probably because they are just cartoonish (most of the time). Plus I have had some bad experiences that have caused them to leave a bad taste in my mouth as well. But I digress.
I don't like using pictures to describe characters in general. I have met people who are great with graphics and photo manipulation, who are able to essentially create their own images. Sadly, I am not one of those people... Not to mention, if I see someone using say Johnny Depp for their character's image, and then I see someone else using his image, it just feels off to me. I don't mean to come off negatively when I say this, but I would rather use my own imagination for my character. And even when people do provide images, I end up picturing them differently in my head anyway.

A written description is a lot easer for me to comprehend than someone who just slaps a picture down and expects everyone to see their character that way.

I can see the appeal of images, anime or realistic, but they aren't for me. But, I will say that I'll use images if I'm elaborating something (like clothing) on a character sheet or mid-post. And ask the same of people who want to use images if I'm running a roleplay.
Pretty much this. If I possessed the knowledge or ability to either illustrate things myself or edit images to properly tailor them for my character, I would. Since I can't, I use written descriptions as they give me more freedom and I'm able to use my own imagination with it.

Personally, I don't care what style is used. Artwork, realistic, anime. The only thing I REALLY want is to have it be the same style throughout the roleplay. If we are playing a realistic setting, and everyone has real references too, then don't ptt some 12 year old, with pink hair and large eyes, from Sailor Moon or something. If we are playing in an anime world then don't use a real picture. That's the one thing that immediately, completely ruins immersion for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kenjinx said:
I tend to dislike anime pictures, where that stems from is probably a combination of multiple things. But in general? I prefer written descriptions, and I almost never post a picture with my character. If I had the skill to draw my own characters and be able to illustrate how I picture them, I would; seeing as how I don't, written descriptions are my go-to for describing my character. I personally don't have any problem with anyone demanding certain things, as my view on it is that as long as it doesn't break the global rules then I have absolutely no problem with it (not that I have a problem with people not following RPNation rules outside of the site, but seeing as how we're using RPNation as a host for our RP rules are obviously enforced) no matter what it is. So if the OP has any sorts of demands, it's entirely up to him to do whatever he likes for the RP no matter how others see it, in my eyes. I simply believe in a self-moderation policy for people when it comes to websites like this. Any time I've ever made RPs I've generally not had a restriction on what kind of images could be used, but I understand everyone has their reasons (or lack thereof, which is still valid) so I go with the flow on such matters or decline the RP entirely.
SpamBot said:

Kenjinx said:
Pretty much this. If I possessed the knowledge or ability to either illustrate things myself or edit images to properly tailor them for my character, I would. Since I can't, I use written descriptions as they give me more freedom and I'm able to use my own imagination with it.
You guys won't hate me if I said that I mostly use pictures because I'm absolutely terrible at describing things, will you? ( :( )

I actually prefer not to use pictures at all.

I don't really fancy finding some random persons picture in the internet(nit to mention how hard it would be to find a person who looks like the character I envision) and I have a deep rooted resentment towards anime (I don't know why, I just don't like it) so I don't use those pictures, even if I didn't dislike anime for no apparent reason I wouldn't be able to find a good picture anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back