character dump (feedback welcome)

PhoenixMire

ᛚᚨᚦᚢ:ᚹᛁᛞᚢᛉ:ᛖᚱᚦᛟ
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
hey hi
I'm gonna throw some characters in here, but this'll be a WIP for a while. I have a hard time deciding specifics about my characters (especially names ughhh) but I want somewhere I can throw my OCs. I usually put them in the private workshop section, but I'd like to put them here so I can get some feedback and actually start using them for things.
So yeah, feedback is welcome. Although I admit - I don't like making my forms super detailed, so if your critique is "make the forms way more detailed", then... that's not really my style, I'm sorry.

Last edited:
The following are best for: urban fantasy RPs; in which humans know about magic and magical beings

Eli Brown
18; male

• Race ............... Sorcerer
    Build ............... A bit short at 5'6, skinny, not very well-built.
    Skin tone ..... Fair
    Eye color ..... Pale pink
    Hair color .... Light blonde
    Clothing ....... He generally prefers to wear light colors and slightly looser clothes, since he finds them comfortable. Can usually be found in sneakers and long-sleeve shirts or hoodies (or T-shirts in warmer weather).

Luca Thorne
20; male

• Race ............... Shadow mage
    Build ............... Stands at 5'11 and is thin and lithely-built
    Skin tone ..... Medium-dark
    Eye color ..... Golden-red
    Hair color .... Pale silvery orange
    Clothing ....... Often wears fitted clothes, whether it's T-shirts or jeans or jackets. Tends to wear necklaces.

Last edited:
The following are best for: urban fantasy RPs; in which humans don't know about magic or magical beings

Xavier Benson
20; male

• Race ............... Elemental
    Build ............... Standing at 5'11, Xavier is slender and nimble.
    Skin tone ..... Slightly tan
    Eye color ..... Blue
    Hair color .... Blonde
    Clothing ....... He likes to wear T-shirts, hoodies, jeans, and sneakers most the time - though sometimes he can be found without the hoodie. He never reveals his inhuman features unless he knows he's alone, so he always keeps his hood up; when he isn't wearing a hoodie (which isn't often), he'll wear a beanie to hide his horns and ears instead. He always has a silver crescent moon necklace.

Mia Elwyn
19; female

• Race ............... Human
    Build ............... She stands at 5'4, with a thin frame and not very curvy.
    Skin tone ..... Light
    Eye color ..... Brown
    Hair color .... Dark, she usually dyes it so it fades to pink
    Clothing ....... She tends to favor pastel colors and likes skirts and tights, but occasionally will wear pants. She likes looser-fitting tops and necklaces.

Last edited:
The following are best for: medieval fantasy RPs

Freniar Crow
(pronounced 'fray-near')
23; male

• Nickname ... Frey
    Race ............... Naimar
    Build ............... Standing tall at 6'2, he's wiry and slender.
    Skin tone ..... Very pale
    Eye color ..... He has heterochromia; his right eye is light greenish and his left is purple
    Hair color .... Dark
    Clothing ....... He tends to wear tunics with laced-up fronts and sleeves, and simplistic brown or black trousers that he often tucks into shin-high leather boots. He can often be found with a thin silver chain round his neck and in his pointed ears.

Adri Ward
20; male

• Race ............... Fila
    Build ............... Stands at 5'8 and is a little more muscular than he might look through his clothes
    Skin tone ..... Dark
    Eye color ..... Orange
    Hair color .... Blonde with brown tips
    Clothing ....... He likes to wear loose, airy tunics and trousers with short deerskin boots. He always has a bandage over his left eye.

Last edited:
Best for: urban fantasy RP; in which humans know about magic and magical beings

screw names

23; male
will insert a picture later

• Race ............... (I'm bad at naming anything, send help)

• Build ............... Tall, wiry, lithely-built
    Skin tone ..... Medium/dark-ish skin tone
    Hair color .... Pale silvery orange-ish
    Clothing ....... (I'll probably come up with this when I draw him oops)
Omg! These are all greattt! Tbh tho… I think this character would be BOMB as a girl! Even so, he's great as a boy!

Oh there are some actual characters here now.

Alright, so which ones are WIP and which ones are open for feedback?

Omg! These are all greattt! Tbh tho… I think this character would be BOMB as a girl! Even so, he's great as a boy!
Lol thanks! I just don't play female characters often but I should probably try. Maybe I'll make some female OCs to use in future RPs.

Oh there are some actual characters here now.

Alright, so which ones are WIP and which ones are open for feedback?
Basically all of them are open?? They're all WIPs to an extent, but I appreciate feedback nonetheless since it can help me in their development. :')

Lol thanks! I just don't play female characters often but I should probably try. Maybe I'll make some female OCs to use in future RPs.

Basically all of them are open?? They're all WIPs to an extent, but I appreciate feedback nonetheless since it can help me in their development. :')
No prob! Don't go out of your comfort zone or anything, just thought that would be cool :)

Nah, I prefer to go over characters when they are finished. No point in offering criticism only to get responses like "Oh I haven't made that part yet"

Nah, I prefer to go over characters when they are finished. No point in offering criticism only to get responses like "Oh I haven't made that part yet"
Makes sense. They're all pretty much done in terms of personality and abilities and weaknesses/strengths, but I am still trying to work out backstories and... of course, appearances and names.

Wow I actually named my OCs, hell has officially frozen over

Also added a bunch more, organized things a little better, and I'm essentially done except for maybe refining some appearances. That's about it

The following are best for: urban fantasy RPs; in which humans know about magic and magical beings

Eli Brown
18; male

• Race ............... Sorcerer
    Build ............... A bit short at 5'6, skinny, not very well-built.
    Skin tone ..... Fair
    Eye color ..... Pale pink
    Hair color .... Light blonde
    Clothing ....... He generally prefers to wear light colors and slightly looser clothes, since he finds them comfortable. Can usually be found in sneakers and long-sleeve shirts or hoodies (or T-shirts in warmer weather).

Luca Thorne
23; male
will insert a picture later

• Race ............... (I'm bad at naming anything, send help)
    Build ............... Stands at 5'11 and is thin and lithely-built
    Skin tone ..... Medium-dark
    Hair color .... Pale silvery orange-ish
    Clothing ....... (I'll probably come up with this when I draw him oops)

I really like Eli Brown. He is a consistent, well-written character and definitely falls into that sweet spot of "there's no need to overcomplicate". I would've liked to see more content story and personality-wise, but that is just a personal approach that is probably more detailed than yours.

Thorne on the other hand... I'll refrain from but a passing mention at how utterly generic everything about the character is, and instead I'll try to talk more about just how much of the text there is dedicated to other people. Other people have a good impression of him, an outsider's perspective, "seem" a bit closed off at times, etc... While you aren't entirely doing it wrong as unlike some people you did at least mix it in with actual character traits it dampers a lot regarding the character being an individual in their own right, and if you remove that padding the character ends up really one-dimensional and overly leaning on other player's support to work.
Regarding their powers, I'll just never understand how that kind of shadow powers is something anyone finds acceptable, the limitations are too vague for narrative stakes and the ability is too easily abused if the character is not an idiot.

The following are best for: urban fantasy RPs; in which humans don't know about magic or magical beings

Xavier Benson
20; male

• Race ............... Elemental
    Build ............... Standing at 5'11, Xavier is slender and nimble.
    Skin tone ..... Slightly tan
    Eye color ..... Blue
    Hair color .... Blonde
    Clothing ....... He likes to wear T-shirts, hoodies, jeans, and sneakers most the time - though sometimes he can be found without the hoodie. He never reveals his inhuman features unless he knows he's alone, so he always keeps his hood up; when he isn't wearing a hoodie (which isn't often), he'll wear a beanie to hide his horns and ears instead. He always has a silver crescent moon necklace.

Mia Elwyn
19; female

• Race ............... Human
    Build ............... She stands at 5'4, with a thin frame and not very curvy.
    Skin tone ..... Light
    Eye color ..... Brown
    Hair color .... Dark, she usually dyes it so it fades to pink
    Clothing ....... She tends to favor pastel colors and likes skirts and tights, but occasionally will wear pants. She likes looser-fitting tops and necklaces.

Xavier: minus points for being a demon and not pure evil.
I'm sorry for that but I have to say it. It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine how often the basic concept of a demon is just thrown out the window. Feel free to ignore this tidbit.

Getting into other matters, apart from a slightly convenient time for his parents to both just up and die, he is a pretty solid character again. I like how diverse your characters are in personality and background, even if they are all pretty one-note. Only complaints I have beyond this are "skeptical" and "a little antisocial" aren't really weaknesses. One of them is just a general stance towards receiving new information, it's not a flaw and much less a handicap. "little" antisocial is just way too mild a thing to be registered as a "weakness" it's basically meaningless for a character.

Regarding Mia is, I think, your best one so far. She is a very committed character (on your part) with clear direction and flaws, an intelligently constructed backstory, everything one could ask for. Heck, so far she is your only character I can see to having real depth to her. Small nitpick would be that you kind of abuse "little" there in "little bit obsessed with work". Going by the description, it's not exactly a small amount.

The following are best for: medieval fantasy RPs

Freniar Crow
(pronounced 'fray-near')
22; male

• Nickname ... Frey
    Race ............... Naimar
    Build ............... Standing tall at 6'2, he's wiry and slender.
    Skin tone ..... Very pale
    Eye color ..... He has heterochromia; his right eye is light greenish and his left is purple
    Hair color .... Dark
    Clothing ....... He tends to wear tunics with laced-up fronts and sleeves, and simplistic brown or black trousers that he often tucks into shin-high leather boots. He can often be found with a thin silver chain round his neck and in his pointed ears.

Adri Ward
19; male

• Race ............... Fila
    Build ............... Stands at 5'8 and is a little more muscular than he might look through his clothes
    Skin tone ..... Dark
    Eye color ..... Orange
    Hair color .... Blonde with brown tips
    Clothing ....... He likes to wear loose, airy tunics and trousers with short deerskin boots. He always has a bandage over his left eye.

Freniar goes to back to being one-note, though he isn't a bad character per say. He is quite typical mercenary, but so long as it's handled with skill I am not too mindful of leaning on tropes. I really like the "lacks actual skill" weakness, I think it adds a really fun and unique element to the character that could be a great source of humor. That said, that backstory really doesn't fit the character. It doesn't explain anything about how they became who they are or their current goals, it seems build for an entirely different character.

PS: I also just have to mention, i find it funny this "things in the north always have horns" trope, I have no idea why it exists, but it's a nice lil'easter egg :P

Andri is probably tied with Thorne for the worst character here. His personality leaks over to the backstory to the point where pretty much what little personality he has is divided between the two sections and as a result there is little backstory and his personality section is a load of nothing. Given some of the race lore and ornament choices for the character, I reckon this has something to do with trying to make this character feel like something especial as compared to others or something- which is backfiring hard.

On the note of the art I will end by saying you made some pretty great artwork, I think. Well done :)

Yeah, I personally can't stand making my forms overly complex/detailed, because then it feels like referring back to a textbook and doing homework every time I make an RP post, just to make sure everything about my character is in order. It's not enjoyable and I like my RPs to be fun.

Thanks for the crit though! I'll make sure to edit some stuff about Luca's form to make sure it relies less on other people. You complained about him being utterly generic. What would you do to make a character less generic?

And Xavier isn't a demon. I actually agree with your stance on demons, which is why I never make my characters flat-out demons. It's more that people/myths call his race "demons" even though they technically aren't. (Come to think of it, I have no idea why I didn't just put that in his race info?? Brain fart I guess)

As for Adri, I wasn't trying to go for anything "special"; tbh he was the one I was the least inspired for, sadly. I kinda don't know what to do with him. I want to use him for something but who knows what. Not even sure how to flesh him out and make him better honestly.

Thanks for the advice

Yeah, I personally can't stand making my forms overly complex/detailed, because then it feels like referring back to a textbook and doing homework every time I make an RP post, just to make sure everything about my character is in order. It's not enjoyable and I like my RPs to be fun.
To each their own of course :) It's a little harder to review characters for people whose tastes regarding RP type differ so much from mine, but I try to keep it in mind <3

You complained about him being utterly generic. What would you do to make a character less generic?
Well, the things that are generic about him are his overall "shy person with a heart of gold" persona (which due to how much of it you dedicate to other people really becomes his one thing), his abilities, namely the shadow and fire ones and the backstory (rich kids with parents that don't really give them enough love). These are all endless overused and you're not really bringing a new take on them, as far as the CS shows.

Other than scrapping those elements, all I can really recommend is that you flesh them out more to give them more of a personal take on those ideas and one that feel more unique to the character. I know I'm staying vague but I can't write your character for you.

And Xavier isn't a demon. I actually agree with your stance on demons, which is why I never make my characters flat-out demons. It's more that people/myths call his race "demons" even though they technically aren't. (Come to think of it, I have no idea why I didn't just put that in his race info?? Brain fart I guess)
You later refer to his parents as just "elementals" couldn't you maybe have just done that for the race? Since this is, I assume, your own world these OCs belong to, you probably have that kind of freedom if you want.

As for Adri, I wasn't trying to go for anything "special"; tbh he was the one I was the least inspired for, sadly. I kinda don't know what to do with him. I want to use him for something but who knows what. Not even sure how to flesh him out and make him better honestly.
I'd start by organizing if I was you. As I mentioned, there is stuff there in the backstory that belongs in personality. Personal views and behaviors are part of one's personality, not one's backstory though naturally both affect the other.

Thanks for the advice
You're welcome :)

Thank you for the tips! I'll be sure to apply them.
As for Xavier, I do want to establish that the myths refer to them as demons even though they're not, so I've just edited it and hopefully it makes more sense now.
Well, the things that are generic about him are his overall "shy person with a heart of gold" persona (which due to how much of it you dedicate to other people really becomes his one thing), his abilities, namely the shadow and fire ones and the backstory (rich kids with parents that don't really give them enough love). These are all endless overused and you're not really bringing a new take on them, as far as the CS shows.
Ah, I didn't describe him well enough then, so that's 100% fault on my part. I didn't want him to come across as shy at all; he... isn't, really. Just doesn't like people. But 'shy' isn't the right word for him, so I'll work on that. I could also try to think of a better and less generic backstory I just suck at backstories and absolutely loathe coming up with them but maybe that might make him fit into more RPs a bit better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back