• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Completed Chapter V: Out of Sight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dina Ailsa

Lost Child of Asgard

Dina jumps in her skin as she turns around ready to defend herself against this ungentlemanly assault. The feeling of unease clings to her as she tries to process this violating action of disrespect. Once I sit on the throne, hands will be cut for this. Dina barely contained herself from shouting out her thoughts to whoever did this.

Henvei v. R. Daltzen

Master of Cards

"Yes, of course."

The scholar shook his head, shooing away paranoia with a wave of his hand. "Of course. Considering the circumstance, perhaps you would enjoy some of my...our local favourite." Reaching into his cloak, Henvei fished out his ever-present bloodleaf satchel. "A wonderful leaf. It clears the senses, refreshes the mind, and enriches thoughts. An suitable tea for such an interesting meeting." The Folk plucked out a few of the leaves, and offered them to the maester.

"I must ask, maester, as to the circumstance of present. The hold in whole reeks unpleasantly: of fishy men, of fresh graves, and now of the snowy wastes. I cannot help but wonder what strange happenings have transpired, to create such a stuffy atmosphere."

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not long before the skeletons are dispatched but they were few and it was merely the first encounter.

"Your skills are commendable." says Meric, approaching Battojutsu and Sanya. "You have faced Undead before?"

Having quickly turned around, Dina faces her violator. It's an older man, looking to be in his late fifties with little hair left and unattractive features, bearing the distinctive smell of alcohol. He smiles arrogantly, saying: "Right then, what'll it be? You'll blush sweetly and that'll be the end of it, won't it?"

Dina Ailsa

Lost Child of Asgard

Considering the crowd, Dina decided against slapping the man. She wanted to put some force behind it but she could accidentally hit someone else in the process. Having that in mind, Dina kicked the man's shin as hard as she could. She will linger for a moment to see if it is safe to turn and continue on her way if not, she was already ready to summon some roots to hold him in place.

Battojutsu

The Hunter of Shadows

He smiles self deprecatingly, and nods. "It was my profession, in my homeland, to hunt down Demons, rouge Necromancers, and blood magi- I have faced the Undead, Demons, magi..." As he return's the sheathed blade to his side, and looks for the next wave of attacks- fully on guard. He doesn't have adrenaline pumping fire through his veins yet, but he knows it will be soon.

Rather distracted by all the sights and sounds (and especially smells!), it takes a moment for Maggie to realize Dina has stopped. When she does, she turns around to look for her. Missing the first part of the encounter, Maggie comes up in time to see Dina kick the man. I don't know her well, but that seems out of character - wonder what the lout did? Maggie thinks as she offers a glare of her own at him.

Sanya Sarkov

The Seventh Sword

"I have had to run down necormancers before. The ones that are foolish and try to harm others anyways. And besides, few can fight if they no longer have hands and knees to fight with,"
Sanya said with a slight shrug. To him this was but another task to bring someone to justice for their efforts to torment innocent people.

The usurper was adding yet another crime to the long list of reasons he had to execute her when the opportunity presented itself. He might have held authority only in the Kossriat League as a Sword, but as of now he would uphold his duty for the true kingdom wherever he went. He has to for the sake of his fallen comrades who demanded justice for their deaths. So many Kossar lives lost to try to save what was left of the true kingdom.

At the Academy

"Ah, bloodleaf!"

Maester Roderick leans in and carefully accepts the leaves from Henvei's hand.

"I've not had or seen any in what seems a long time... Ever since the trade caravans stopped going between here and the City of Tears. When your compatriot arrived I was disappointed to learn he had none on himself, but not nearly as disappointed as he was, it turned out, when he learned that we had none as well!"

The maester chuckled, then disappeared into a side room. His slightly raised voice could still be easily heard.

"Yes, it's quite a predicament we find ourselves in. Stuck, without recourse, it seems. Lord Brook hired the Mages Guild the day after the fog fell, but so far they have been tragically unhelpful. Despite crawling all over the Academy and asking for more and more information, when their own libraries failed them. Bah! I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing was somehow their fault..."

At that moment he returned and at the same time started muttering apologies.

"No disrespect to you, Henvei of the Daltzen line. I've little quarrel with wizards, but the Mages Guild has stirred trouble on more than one occasion."

The old man sat down on a chair opposite from Henvei and took a few moments to rest, then added:

"Tea will be done before long."

*** *** ***​

At Market Square

Dina's unsportsmanlike blow sent the man to the ground without causing permanent damage, allowing her to catch up with Violet and Maggie unhindered. No one in the crowd seemed to notice what happened, or if they did, they didn't care. Somewhere at the same time, the horn blower stopped blowing. Someone had probably killed him.

"Come on, you two! We're here."

Violet called out. They had crossed Market Square and were now standing a short distance from a large building. It was three floors high and long enough to house several shops. Each shop sold different merchandise, as was visible through the glass, but a large metal sign fixed above in the middle made it clear that they belonged to one company: "Zarra Trading Goods". The elf paused hesitantly in front of one of them, then told the other two girls to wait and stepped inside the closest shop. She was back in a few moments.

"That one."

she said, pointing to the shop on the right. She led them in.

It was a clothing store. Hanging suspended from racks or neatly folded along wide shelves were gowns, surcoats, skirts, capes, hoods, bonnets, tunics, trousers, and shoes - made from a wide range of materials like wool, fur, linen, silk and even cloths of silver and gold. There were even complete outfits displayed on wooden, life-sized manikins. There were two proprietors, a woman and a man, idling behind a large, expensive-looking counter. There were no customers shopping at present.

Beyond the walls

Meric nods approvingly at both Battojutsu and Sanya.

"It is good to have people with real experience on this, but that's downright impressive... Honda, was it? We shall have to sit together for a drink after this is done, and perhaps talk a while."

The party continues, and just down the road comes upon the graveyard's entrance on the left. As it turned out, they were walking along the fence all along, they just couldn't see it due to the fog. The entrance gate was slightly protruding, and was also wide open. It was dead quiet. Meric and A'kal took the lead, but as soon as everyone was inside and walking along the main path they noticed something disturbing. On either side, most of the graves were disturbed; torn open, with fresh dirt scattered everywhere. The sight alone was enough to send chills down the spine.

And then the Undead came at them again. But this time from both flanks. Most were skeletons but a few had some flesh left on them, and twisted expressions on their pale faces.

Dina Ailsa

Lost Child of Asgard

Dina could not help but smile smugly at the man as she glanced over her shoulder while walking behind the two girls. That will give him something to think about!

Walking into the store Dina found herself taken aback by all the wares on display. Her eyes grazed whatever beautiful dresses they could find as their owner thought about her half-torn blue dress that she still had on her person. A crime against fashion for sure! But what could Dina do? Having been on the road nonstop for a while now, she had no time for something as foolish as grooming herself and indulging her need for beautiful things. Every young girl wants to be a princess, which Dina is but certainly does not look the part.

Henvei v. R. Daltzen

Master of Cards

"None taken." The wizard smiled generously, at ease now that the tea was on its way. Still, he soon raised his eyes to the maester once more, with sharp-toothed intensity. "The fog falls, the magi arrive. It would seem suspicious, now, wouldn't it? Yet, they are hardly to blame for taking interest in such a curious turn of the weather. Surely any wizard worth his salt would pounce at the opportunity to study it."

"Still, you are correct in your skepticism. Any wizard worth his salt and his spice would have something to show after a hard night's work. Tell me, maester, what have they asked of? What questions from they have you endured? I find it odd; they seem closer to bewildered commoners than to a true scholar." Tap, tap, tap: the wizard was pacing in his chair, tapping each foot one after the other. Anything to keep the maester's thoughts away from how much bloodleaf the wizard had given him, how strong the brew would be.

Maggie stares around the shop, rather awed for a moment by the large variety of wares. Yes, she'd done her share of window shopping earlier in the week, but it was still an impressive display! The moment passes, and she shakes her head once before marching up to the two at the counter and smiling. "Mistress Zarra, I think? Have you time to speak with us? It's quite important."

"Of course not!" says the female clerk, as if offended at the prospect that Zarra would be working as a shopkeeper when she owned the company. "Lady Zarra is upstairs in her office. Where else would she be? If you must see her, take the door over there and go up the stairs, then speak with her assistant."

Violet nodded and led Dina and Maggie along the described route. The way was linear and they were at what was presumably the door to Zarra's office in no time. However, they would need to get past her assistant first.

"Good day." said the assistant, a young woman in her late twenties with blonde hair tied up in a ponytail. She seemed rather busy going through some paperwork. "How might I assist you?"

"We have business with Lady Zarra." said Violet.

"I'm afraid Lady Zarra isn't seeing anyone today. Do you have an appointment?

"No, but..."

The assistant cut her off. "Then I'm afraid I can't let you in. The lady has asked not to be disturbed."

Violet was stunned for a second there. The elf wasn't used to rejection.

Maester Roderick frowned. "Attempts were made. Elemental magic. They tried to disperse the fog but to no avail. They asked for books on various topics. Necromancy. The elements. Illusions. Even demons. Not that they wouldn't have such volumes in their own libraries, but clearly they learned nothing from either because the fog and the other dangers are still out there. Oh and did you know? Their portal is broken. Something happened a while back, even before this incident. If it were working, perhaps we could use it to send for help. But no -"

The maester was interrupted by knocking on the door. "Enter!" he said, and the door slowly opened, letting in a tall man in gentleman's attire, fairly young with ashen hair and striking features.

"Maester Roderick. You sent for me? Oh!" He stops in realization that there was someone else there. And not just anyone. "It would seem I am not the only Folk in the city. What a pleasant surprise!" He seems friendly enough, but nothing indicates that he has recognized Henvei as he crosses the room and politely bows. "Ricard van Hisper, of the College of Projections..." After the formal introduction he suddenly goes still; his eyes widening. When he speaks again, his voice is a double-edged blade; anticipation and disbelief. "Do I smell... B-bloodleaf?"

"Why, yes! I should get that." says the maester and hurriedly leaves the room to complete the tea, thus leaving the two scholars alone for the time being.

Dina Ailsa

Lost Child of Asgard

"There are two types of disturbances I would open my door for if I were her. Voice of those more powerful than myself and the one which involves life and death. We bring a portion of both. I would be very disappointed if my assistant overlooked such important matters. I do not personally know Lady Zarra but I do have an idea of what powerful angry women are capable of." Dina gave her best shot at sounding frighteningly calm. Her eyes pierced the one in her way like needles. Dina let her eery purple veins be seen just for added drama.

"Not to mention, we come at the request of Lord Brook himself. Surely you can at least check with your mistress before...attempting...to put us outside?" Maggie smiles cheerfully, but in a way that her two companions might be starting to realize means that the young priestess isn't going to back down.

Sanya Sarkov

The Seventh Sword

"And now the real attack begins," Sanya said with a calm tone as his thumb kicked his sword back out of its scabbard and into a waiting hand to fully draw it. The air ringing likely with the sound of steel being drawn.

Sanya scowled now as he looked around them, trying to get a good feel of their situation. He didn't like being surrounded, but it happened more often than he liked to admit. Swords had to carry out just on their own so often that being outnumbered was normal. He positions himself again to guard the Necromancer while seeking targets of opportunity to dismantle. He still refused to call upon his magic yet. Now was not the time.

Bartholemew

The Hunter of Shadows

Let's out a soft laugh. "Impressive? What is impressive about following ones Duty, about doing what one must? I am naught but a vessel of the Emperor's will, and that is just." he says- as he slides his Nodachi free of sheathe. He is unsure what the necromancer could have done here, to prepare these zombies- but he is well. They appear, and he grins. "Dismemberment- head first, threatening limb's second, or the other way around if you get opportunities. Make it hard for the enemy Necromancer to keep them animated, and they will fall. Head usually does the trick, but sometimes more is needed." he says- as he swings his blade as he himself advised, moving to take the offensive.

"I... Umm..." the assistant stammered in response to Dina's and Maggie's joint verbal attack, but could still not be swayed. "If you are indeed on an errand for his Lordship, then why has this meeting not been scheduled in advance? And please do not presume to know anything about Lady Zarra - or your ventures might turn out less... successful than anticipated."

The party in the graveyard bravely repels the skeleton attack. The ambush fails, but the undead keep coming nonetheless. And with the fog keeping visibility to a minimum, things are not looking particularly well for the long run.

"We can't stay here!" says Meric between attacks. "They could be coming at us for hours at this pace. There!" the elf points out with his sword. "I think the crypts could be just across the main entrance, so let's head that way!" Meric masterfully cut his way - and the way for his friends to follow - through the loose ranks of the undead, demonstrating skill and grace that surpassed even Sanya and Bartholomew's. For them who have not been with the fellowship since the start, this would probably be attributed to the long years of an elven life. But in that case, just how old was Meric, and for how long had he been practicing?

Dina Ailsa

Lost Child of Asgard

"There is little time for such pleasantries taking into account the attacks, the lack of supplies and arms... " The adamant assistant made his impression on Dina. Although, even as she spoke the words she wondered how capable and willing she was to use force as the means to get this over with.

Maggie tries very hard not to roll her eyes in exasperation at the assistant's last point, but some of her frustration comes out in her tone as she says, "I don't think we presume anything about your mistress - not even that she has the city's best interest at heart. But I suppose we'll all learn, when the cityfolk start going elsewhere for their goods because she didn't even listen to what we have to say. You know her better than we do - how do you think she'll react when she learns it's your fault, for turning us away?"

Henvei v. R. Daltzen

Master of Cards

Other Folk, perhaps, would have the audacity to supply a false name, or at least, a vaguely truthful one. But Henvei gritted his teeth, pondering for a moment if a squad of assassins would have made better drinking company. At last, and with a grudging flourish, he jumped to his feet and headfirst into greetings.

"How delighted I am to make the same conclusion! Long has it been since I have seen such a friendly face, and indeed, friendly are the fates that have conspired to bring this meeting together." Henvei forced his heels together and his head down in the customary bow of greeting, slamming a polite grin over his otherwise barred teeth. There was, most likely, more to the meeting rituals than that, but he had forgotten them, and most certainly didn't care enough to remember. "A meeting to remember! Hot tea, easy chairs, and well-met company. Certainly, a meeting hard to secure in these parts of the wild, wild world. How fortunate, on both accounts! What else is there to ask?"

"I, for one, am eager to hear of home, of the times in the Tears. You yourself must thirst for news, or why else have you traveled here? But that is my first concern, the question shining brightest in my mind's night sky! Tell me, what wondrous circumstance has passed through Tears, that you have come so far, to such a strange place, and to keep an errant company? What brings you here to this meeting, of Hisper...and Daltzen?" The scholar's eyes narrowed, half of a pointed tooth escaping his face along with his last uttered word.

Finally, Violet loses it. "Enough! Out of my way, woman, or regret it." Without needless explanations, the elf moves past the assistant's desk, opens the office door - without knocking - and swoops inside. It happened so quickly that Dina and Maggie were left behind for several long moments, and thus able to closely study the dumbfounded expression on the assistant's face. Eventually she recollects herself and quickly rushes after Violet.

*** *** ***​

The other folk's eyes widen; he shoots the scholar with a look of disbelief and... awe?

"Henvei Daltzen?" he asks, stressing his first name.

Vittorio Valtieri

The Gentleman Necromancer

Valtieri follows Meric as quickly as he can, shoving back undead with his staff as they approach, eager to delve into the crypts and find the source of this malediction.

Henvei v. R. Daltzen

Master of Cards

Every inch of the scholar's social grace strained with exertion, all to keep from pouncing upon the Hisper then and there. "How do you know that name?"

Maggie stares at Violet, then looks at Dina and shrugs. "Well, she was being pretty rude about it," she says as she hurries after Violet and the assistant.

"... Do you jest?" said Ricard after an awkward pause followed by another, only slightly less awkward pause. "The name of Henvei Relkor vech Daltzen has been all the talk of the City of Tears ever since your... most... erm, unfortunate... departure. Despite rigorous attempts to make it all but so - attempts from the remaining representatives of the Daltzen family line. I suppose you could not have known this in your absence, but surely you've guessed?" The other Folk's face had a friendly enough expression. If he had ulterior motives he was very good at concealing them. Then he added: "Of course, I knew about you from before, though we never met, per se."

Inside the private part of the office, standing tall - matching Violet in height, who was above average - was a red-headed woman with striking features in an elaborate blue dress. She did not look pleased to have company.

"Never mind now, Sara. I'll take care of it myself, since I obviously can't rely on you." she said to the assistant who looked like a shunned puppy and left the room quickly while murmuring apologies. She closed the door behind her, leaving Violet, Maggie, and Dina alone with lady Zarra.

"Now. To what do I owe this most impertinent intrusion? Who are you people and what the hell do you want?" she asked in a demanding tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back