• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Completed Chapter V: Out of Sight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartholemew

The Hunter of Shadows

The figure nod's his agreement. "Aye- speaking as one who has hunted necromancers before, their pets are often without number- making up what they lack in individual potency, with sheer numbers. And this assuming they are not an necromancer of great power, able to create more lethal pets.." He says- his eyes flickering suspiciously to the necromancer in their company, a frown on his face.

"And you have the Seventh Sword on your side as well. The Undead won't stand a chance against us." said Sanya Sarkov.

Lord Brook took his seat and formally closed the deal. "It is decided, then. I will be counting on you - all of Dunn will. Unless you have any more questions, go, and I bid you good luck."

"Forge?" Laurolf asked.

"In the barracks across the street from the castle, master dwarf. I thank you in advance for any assistance you might provide. I imagine you'll make our local smiths jealous before long, yes?" the lord smiled. Laurolf mumbled something as he turned around and left the throne room.

Meric also turned to leave, saying: "Regroup at the main gates. No time like the present."

Henvei v. R. Daltzen

Master of Cards

"No time like the present! Of course! No time like..." The Folk trailed off, bright grin fading somewhat, as he realized that he hadn't any plans for the day. He'd kept quiet for the most part of the meeting, clutching an ever-friendly cup of pine tea, listening to what the others would do to pass the time. Playing in a graveyard? Much too dirty. Friendly jousts with the local mercantile? Much too silly. Henvei finished the last drops of his drink with a grandiose swig, before stepping forward, painfully after-the-fact.

"Your Lordship, your township is most hospitable...and most grand, if I may. Grand enough, I would think, for a hall of learning, or perhaps a few. If you would be so kind as to... confirm my hopes?" The scholar needed time to update his notes on the Taint, on necromancy...and certainly, on the newer members of the party. This would take time, books, and secrecy.

Maggie

Priestess of the Maker​

Maggie smiles as Dina accepts her offer. "That's settled, then. My name's Maggie, by the way - I don't think I caught everyone's name earlier, in all the rush and confusion." She looks over the teams, rather amused to find that it's the girls who are going to see the merchants, and the boys who are dealing with the undead. "I did a bit of 'window-shopping' when I first came to town. Shall we go and see whose prices have gone up since then? Or had you another plan?" She bows quickly to the lord when he dismisses them, then turns to leave with Dina and Violet.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Hall of learning? Ah, have we a scholar on our hands here as well?" the Lord said with a smile. "There are three repositories in Dunn that might capture your interest: the Mages Guild, the Academy, and the archives in the Maker's Temple. I hope you will find whatever it is you are looking for."

"I'm Violet," the she-elf said to Maggie in turn, "Which you probably know by now. I am an officer in the Resistance. With the headquarters so close nearby, I've spent much time in Dunn. I don't think I recognize you, though. Are you new in town?" she asked politely on their way out.

Henvei v. R. Daltzen

Master of Cards

"Most excellent. I thank your Lordship for such generosity." The scholar gave a stiff bow, still sore from the desert escapades. "I will be off without delay." Henvei swished off, eager to return to more sensible work than swinging swords or sandy strolls.

Upon securing the location of each of the three repositories, Henvei soon headed in the direction of the Academy.

Maggie

Priestess of the Maker​

Maggie walked with the other two towards the closest of the shops she remembered. "Yes, I've only been here a week or so. I don't have a specific temple assignment; I tend to wander from place to place and attend to what needs doing that way. Though of course I can't go anywhere until we get this fog issue lifted!"

Sanya Sarkov

The Seventh Sword

Sanya watched the others go before focusing on the Necromancer. He'd hunted some before, but only a few since most had the good sense not to commit crimes minus a bit of grave robbing. He approached him and eyed the man thoughtfully.

"Like all crimes, this one has a heart, a center from which this much be originating. You are one skilled in the the arts of the dead; I saw that. Where would you consider setting a focal point for animating many corpses? The obvious answer is the graveyard, but which part? Where? How?" Sanya asked him not demanding but in the tone of a man used to having to do this. He was a man of law by his original task so many years ago before the war shattered that purpose.

"Perhaps as you say, it is academic. But it seems someone is doing this, some agent willing to exert so much time and effort to seal away a city to be gnawed to death by monsters and undead. It is a siege, but perhaps a lazy one, no?" He gives more of a grin at that as he looks at the rest intending to go forth to find the source of the issue.

Vittorio Valtieri

The Gentleman Necromancer

"Or a trap," Valtieri says. Not looking at the swordsman, he musters enough strength for a proper bow to Lord Brook. "Vittorio Valtieri, Necromancer, scholar, and avowed rebel - at your service."

It's as much for the benefit of the strangers as his Lordship, and Valtieri promptly rounds on this Seventh Sword.

"As I said - this feels more like a trap or distraction to me. Like gnawing mites, the dead might eventually grind down defenses, but there are no shades of substance at a graveyard and sooner or later one must run out of adequate materials. The source is most likely some manner of charged crystal and an apprentice."

He pauses. Thinks a moment.

"Unless, of course, our culprit is of surpassing talent and... well. Unlikely. No one has ever successfully built a reanimating wheel. Either way," he continues, "I would believe that there is something else at stake here."

Soon enough, the fellowship splits in two; Dina, Violet and Maggie set out to visit the most notable local merchants, while everyone else heads for the Main Gates - except Henvei who went to the Academy and Laurolf who was probably inspecting the forge by now, likely complaining about the bad quality of the local non-dwarven furnace.

"A week or so, but you seem to know your way around town already." Violet said to Maggie as they strolled along the main street down the North Quarter. "The first name on our list should be Jonas Ethil. Know anything about him?" Jonas was a semi-important name in the merchant guild, and owned a couple popular general stores in town. One of them was on Brook Square, just a couple turns ahead.

Meanwhile, the other team was slowly gathering at the Main Gates. One could already sense something was wrong here; there were barely a few souls in sight, and two of those were three weary looking guards. They were leaning on a house wall on the side of the gates, instead of assuming their usual post. It was like they dreaded even being close to the gates, though there were no sounds coming from the other side. Seeing the group approach, one of the guards stepped out and asked them, in a matter-of-fact tone, to state their business.

Maggie

Priestess of the Maker​

"Oh, well..." Maggie blushes and looks down. "I, um, just like shopping. You understand, right? Of course I don't actually buy anything much, being as I don't really need much, and having to carry what I do get means there's a definite limit...Anyway, I don't know the town so much as I know where the shops are. And the temple, of course." She realizes she's babbling and tries to get back on subject. "Jonas Ethil, you said? Sounds familiar. I think there ought to be one of his shops just a little farther here."

A'kal wandered out to the main gate. The fog was indeed strange and this mission to the graveyard didn't feel right to him. He felt something was... amiss... The knight walked towards the main gate, looking around for Meric, Bartholemew, and Sanya. When the guardsman approached him, he put on a friendly smile. "I'm just waiting on some friends of mine," A'kal said with a nod. I feel there is more to the story with these undead than meets the eye.

"Yes, at the square up ahead. We're not far. He trades under Ethil's General Goods. Creative, isn't he?" Violet chuckled, glancing over to Dina. She was concerned for the girl, but tried as best she could not to bring it up all the time. She looked up at the sky. It was grey and devoid of any promise of sunlight. It was a miracle that it wasn't raining again. "This morning at the Temple they told me the weather was like this for days. Since the fog fell. It can't be doing any good for the morale..." The elf turned her attention back to Maggie. "Speaking of morale, what's your take on the situation, from a professional point of view?"

"Waitin' on friends, he says." the guard said to his compatriots. "'Tis no good waitin' around 'ere. Bad stuff bound to happen. Lord thinks the gates'll hold 'em. Just you wait, I say..." He went on to mumble something incomprehensible.

Meric arrived a moment later, taking a stand next to A'kal. "Ho, there!" he said.

"And now an elf." The guard resumed complaining. "What's next? A dwarf?"

"I'm afraid he made other arrangements." Meric grinned.

"Bah!" the soldier grunted. He was an older fellow, probably doing the last decade of his service. "Of all the unfortunate sods, to such a task befall yours truly! But I'll not be intimidated by the likes of you, with yer fancy armor and expensive swords! State your business, Sers, or leave the area. Access to the gates is restricted, on Lord Brook's orders. Trouble beyond..." He tried acting tough but the man was obviously tired and troubled more than anything else.

Meanwhile, Henvei arrives at the local Academy. On the outside, it looks quite like the one he visited in Aboran. There's no people in sight, though - at least not any coming in or out of the building. A roll of thunder far away calls his attention skywards, and reminds him of the probability of rain.

Henvei v. R. Daltzen

Master of Cards

The rain had been a blessing just yesterday, but today's fresh clothes insisted on avoiding it. The scholar hurried up the steps and into the hall, thoughts turning with the Taint, with the situation in Darkvale, and with the Amaranth. The warriors would fight their battles, and the priests make their peace; Henvei was left to remember, and to brood.

The Folk crossed the threshold into the hall, keeping quiet in anticipation of an empty interior. Even the Academy felt poisoned with the present plague.

There was still no one in sight, not even inside the reception. The room was large, like the reception of Ridge's Academy. A round desk was in the middle of the room. No one was behind it. However...

"No, no, no, no! Not another one..." the irritated voice of an older man echoed from somewhere... to the right? Yes, a slightly hunched, robed and elderly man appeared as if from nowhere, grunting and motioning at Henvei with his ancient-looking staff. "I've already told you people, there is naught more I can give you! Why must you persist thus?" He stops just short of the scholar, eying him suspiciously.

Vittorio Valtieri

The Gentleman Necromancer

Having eaten an especially hearty breakfast, selected some choice tomes, and hired a boy to carry things, Valtieri arrives at the gate with a steaming canteen of ginger tea and an expression like a bruised morning sky, all risk of rain and chilly silence.

"I'm sorry if I kept you waiting," Valtieri says to his companions. "When you get to my age you can't rush your morning."

He glances at the gate, the guards, the others.

"Is there anyone else, or might we take care of this? I could only hire the lad for a few hours and he's carrying my books."

Bartholemew

The Hunter of Shadows

The Foreigner emerges from the shadows of a nearby Alleyway. "Worry not, Necromancer...." as he approaches the Gate-guard. "Our Business is simple- to enter the Graveyard, on orders, to find the source of the Undead. To cleanse that graveyard thereof. To do battle with monsters and the damned. I apologize, if /you/ where not informed of this, or that people where being sent to do so- but it is /so/." His tone is calm and succinct- even as he places emphasis on very specific words. He smiles, faintly- then looks back to the Necromancer; and his eyes widen, at the sight of a /child/ at the mans side! A look of disgust spreads over his fine features as he looks to Valtieri. "...Necromancer. For what reason have you brought a /child/ with us, when our destination is battle 'gainst the damned..? Do you simply not care for the lives of children..? Or do you think that there will be no danger, simply because your reason for coming is Scholastic..?"

Sanya Sarkov

The Seventh Sword

Sanya steps up the the gate now, having gotten what rest and food he could before this. They were going to be in for a nasty experience getting to the source and dealing with whatever was causing the dead to rise. He rolls his broad shoulders and crosses his arms as he looks down at the man guarding the gates that was talking to them. His various sword scabbards clattering lightly with his movements as each unique blade shifted with his motions.

"The Lord has given us permission to pass through. Feel free to seal it up behind us, but we are going through that door or whatever hidden exit you have," Sanya stated rather authoritatively. He wasn't in a the mood to have to play runner when they needed to get out there now and try to diminish the undead tide. "You know who I am. I doubt there's many other Kossars out from the League at the moment, so what I say is true. Your lives as well as ours depend upon it."

Maggie

Priestess of the Maker​

Maggie sighs. "Yes, this is actually one of the better days, I'm afraid. Not raining yet, after all. It's been really hard on people, especially the poor. You don't realize how important seeing the sun is - until you aren't seeing it. There's a number of rumors starting to fly around, like the town is cursed, or the duke. Maybe because of the resistance, maybe because they didn't declare for the resistance until now. Like always, the rumors contradict each other, but no matter which one you pick - if any - it's all a sign that people aren't happy, and are looking for something to blame. Or... looking for something to put their hope in." She looks intently at Violet and Dina. "You know... you're known as part of the resistance, and I'm not shy of joining myself. If your friends can settle the undead, and if we can find a way to lift the fog and connect this town back to the rest of Asgard, I think that would help a lot, and gain a lot of support against our real enemy."

"Actually, as the second-in-command of the Resistance I could draft you on the spot given your willingness," Violet says with a grin, "But we might as well wait for the official initiation once all of this is resolved. I imagine half the town will sign up now that Lord Brook has openly declared where Dunn stands. In the meantime, we've almost reached our first goal."

They had arrived to Brook Square, a large open space surrounded with mostly two or three-floor buildings and a statue of the first Brook to hold the title of Lord of Dunn in the very center. There was alot of movement here. Violet pointed out across the square to a large shop. The overhead sign was visible from where the three stood; in white letters painted on a decorative piece of wood it said: Ethil's General Goods. "Ready, you two? I don't know Jonas Ethil personally, but he can't be all that hard to reason with."

One of the other two guards whispered Sanya's name, in full, and the outspoken one showed signs of being familiar with it as well. By now every person in Dunn must have known who he was.

"Alright, alright, I won't stand in your way." The old guard said, turning then to his friends. "We're openin' the damn gates, lads. The gentlemen have business in the graveyard." The other two guards split; one disappeared behind a part of the fortification where the portcullis-controlling mechanism was, while the other one went into a nearby, barrack-like building. Several minutes later he came back accompanied by half a dozen more soldiers who didn't look happy to be called upon. Slowly, they opened the heavy wooden gates. Behind was the iron portcullis, and a wall of white fog. It seemed to abruptly start about twenty feet from the gates. There was no movement beyond but the guards looked on edge, standing in formation, ready to repel a surprise attack. Even slower than the gates, the portcullis was raised, about two thirds of the way.

"There ye go." said the guard. "Have at it. But know that we'll be closin' it behind you, with all respect, Sers." He spat on the ground, fearfully staring at the white beyond.

"Follow my lead," said Meric, drawing his steel, "But leave the poor boy behind, Valtieri, if you believe in any of the gods. We won't have the time to watch out for him, I fear. Have him wait here if you like, then summon him once we've cleared the place."

Dina Ailsa

Lost Child of Asgard

Dina couldn't help but smirk. Maggie talking about gaining support reminded her of the role she is to play. I would guess mentioning my heritage to Lord Brook after we took care of everything would be good. I did not leave much of a first impression though. And for the matter at hand... Dina smiled at Violet and nodded. The sooner this is over the better.

Following Meric's lead, everyone except the guardsmen and the boy exit through the gate. The portcullis came down first, then both wings of the massive wooden gates. They were now standing outside Dunn, at the very edge of the fog.

"No movement." said Meric, looking around, "I don't hear anything, at least. I think the graveyard should be just down the road, then to the left. Shall we?" he asked, not waiting for replies. The elf's lean figure disappears into the whiteness, sword ready at hand. He had switched to the ancient runed blade that Henvei found back in Ridge.

Meanwhile Violet leads Maggie and Dina into the store, past several guards stationed in front to keep the peace. Not that there was any immediate threat right now, but tensions were rising in town, daily. The inside of the store was quite spacious. Shelves lined the walls, and merchandise of all sorts lined the shelves. There were no other customers present. Behind the counter was a single man who greeted them.

"We'd like to speak with the owner, Mr. Ethil, on official business." said Violet bluntly.

The clerk looked at her for a moment, then shrugged and pointed at the door behind him. "Mr. Ethil's office is right through there."

"Let's go." Violet took Maggie and Dina through the door and a hallway beyond, entering a room on the far side.

Behind a desk cluttered with paperwork sat a man in his late forties, stroking a not so well maintained black beard. He looked at them inquisitively, asking: "Yes? To what do I owe this pleasure, ladies?" He couldn't help but slightly grin at the sight of three women in front of him, though he eyed the elf cautiously.

Dina Ailsa

Lost Child of Asgard

"To nothing good I'm afraid, dear sir. Dunn is in grave danger, as I'm sure you know, we lack men and supplies. It does not look like this fog is going anywhere soon.", Dina looked over her shoulder shortly, "I cannot help but notice that you lack none of the two." she eyed the man. Her face and eyes wore no expression in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back