• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Ten: Arc Light!

At Ylva's feet, a certain little bit of Trouble stands expectantly on all fours in front of Ylva as if to bar her way. "Mrrooo? Reeeeew? " In Ylva's mind, that familiar boyish voice returns in clarity no ear can match. "I kin comes wif you, right? Will you carry me?"

If Ylva agrees, she has a flopped-over napping MechaKitten on her shoulder in moments.
It's not even a real question, of course. Can't really leave a Wild Card behind, can you? Wordlessly, the little one is scooped up, not without a pat on the head. Sure thing, trouble. Always glad to have you around." The Broadsword is certainly full of marvels, but nothing quite compares to the mecha-kitten. "Ever met a fellow named Buffett? A musician?" As good of a question to pass the time as any while she makes her way towards the bridge.

Piper moves like she has a purpose and that leads her right back down the hall Ylva just came down. "Sammy says you're the Wild Card Science Officer, huh?" As you walk together, Piper's green eyes give Ylva a once-over. "C'mon down with me to the battle bay. Sammy said you want Buffett's guitar. Any particular reason? No way you could'a known him - he died in the future." This last, Piper says not with the youthful grimace of someone unused to losing friends but as one who seems to know the feeling all too well - perhaps more than a person her age ought to.

What does Ylva do?
Well, kind of. Ylva's barely there when she's already gone, offering the two guards a friendly nod before hurrying along with Piper. "Science Officer, yes. Though it feels like I'm lost here more often than not. Let science run wild for a couple of years, and suddenly the results feel more like magic. I mean... the Broadsword. The Broo. Traversing. Trouble here." Her thumb points out the fellow on her shoulder.

"Anyhow, nothing that I won't adapt to, in time. But I thought I'd get my mind off the chaos for once, use the spare time to play a few tunes. Just turns out that two of three guitars aboard are in use, and the third... well, as you said, I never knew the man, though I wish I did from all I've heard thus far. Maybe I should've just looked for an electric guitar, or something. Was mostly just wondering whether there's someone who'd like to pick up that one. You know, maybe someone closer to him, or... I dunno. It's just that instruments tell stories. They're all unique. All special. I've had mine for decades, right until they captured me on my way south. Before I got here. Anyhow... figured that with hell straight ahead, maybe a couple of songs wouldn't hurt. Even if it's just to remind people of the past. Y'know, I'm not that great of a player. Honestly, I mostly played at the labs at night, waiting for the computers to run some analysis or something. So maybe there's someone else who should rather pick it up. It's just that... maybe someone should. You said you wanted Commander Kirin back, at the cost of moving the actual mission forward. Maybe I didn't agree back then. Maybe I don't agree now. But you're right that it'll take more to get this done. More than just a good meal every once in a while, and death straight ahead. And a guitar... I don't know if you've ever played by a campfire, or something, but people forget the world around them for a moment."

"Well, guess that's enough non-sense. Sorry for that. Just... maybe think of someone who'd want to play that guitar. It's been locked away for some time, and good memories with it. Where are we actually headed?"

screenshot-2021-11-03-223026-png.947434

Character Sheet
Action Points: 9/9
Bonus Action Points: 0
((Another long post! Sorry-not-sorry! ^;3^ ))

As Eadric's questions continue however, there comes a voice from inside its cockpit that is neither male nor female nor fitting any human culture Eadric can easily pick out - instead, the words sound like a little of... well... everything human! The audible reply BOOP provides is one Eadric thinks he may have heard before. Outside of BOOP as he is, the Canadian hears this message at a comfortable volume level. It is pleasant sounding, if a little robotic in tone.

"ALL IMMEDIATE REQUESTED MISSION PARAMETERS HAVE BEEN SATISFIED AND CONCLUDED. NO FURTHER ORDERS REMAIN."

There in Guardian mode, the strange Veritech holds up its big white metal hands and Eadric could swear the machine shrugs as if it has no better answer for him - and yet, it does not seem bothered at all by this realization. Then Eadric hears BOOP's voice again. "WHAT OF EADRIC BRAIDWOOD? ARE HIS MISSION PARAMETERS SATISFIED AND CONCLUDED?"
"It's hard to say," Eadric sighs, rather ruefully. The slightly-familiar voice (more familiar than any of the other voices in the hangar, at least) is somehow comforting. In his martial arts studies, the Canadian noted that sparring with someone often taught him something about that person, and could bring them into a closer relationship, of mutual respect if not outright friendship. From all he's heard and seen, actual combat can do the same, and it seems that's true even when one's battle-partner is a machine. Certainly talking with BOOP feels like talking with a friend, despite their short acquaintance and despite the fact that only one of the pair is human. Or even alive, in the traditional sense, he reminds himself, thinking of the Broo (certainly alive, as certainly not human).

"As regards my original orders, or at least as they originally stated, I have no way of knowing until I make contact with Antarctica Base. I was supposed to resolve ongoing tension between the humans and micronized Zentraedi there, and while I did meet the latter, I'm not sure I made much progress towards conflict resolution. On the other hand, they . . . may well have resolved it themselves, in a permanent -- albeit tragic -- fashion, if they found what they were seeking when last I saw them."

He looks up at the Veritech and shrugs back. As learned from his Québécois mother, the shrug can be a rather expressive gesture, signifying differing meanings at different times. Just now, it means "c'est comme ça (it is what it is)."

"As regards the mission parameters I took upon myself -- meaning, joining forces with yourself and helping out fellow humans under attack -- those are satisfactorily concluded in themselves, though subsequent circumstances have led to further wishes and possibly further and similar missions. I'll have to wait to hear whether that will be the case, however." Another shrug, much like the first, but somehow with more wistful overtones. The Zentraedi were his job; Broadsword is where Eadric truly wishes to be, and BOOP a new friend he'd like to see more of and learn more about.

BOOP appears to be ever-so-understanding of its size, presence, and most of all, robotic mecha-derived strength. So as Eadric speaks, and if Eadric is moving as he's speaking, BOOP is making every attempt at keeping its body in a position where no one, including Eadric, might accidentally bump into its super-strong hypercarbon-made mecha body. Meanwhile, BOOP's six miniature guardian-formed cohorts are pulling, cutting, sweeping, and otherwise doing their best to clean up cosmetic damage done to the nearby walls and floor.

In the electronic visor of what is the head of the Veritech when it is in Battloid form, Eadric can see large letters spelled out forming words. "THIS VESSEL IS INDEED LARGE. THIS VESSEL IS THE MOST TECHNOLOGICALLY-ADVANCED WE HAVE EVER SEEN. UPDATE: IFF REGISTRY RETRY SEARCH COMPLETE. NO VESSEL EXISTS UNDER IDENTIFIER SCL-107 BROADSWORD. THIS VESSEL HAS NOT BEEN REGISTERED WITH THE UNITED EARTH DEFENSE DEFENSE FORCE OR WITH THE UNITED EARTH EXPEDITIONARY FORCE. QUERIES: WHO CREATED SCL-107 BROADSWORD? WHAT PURPOSE DOES IT SERVE?"
Eadric's eyes are drawn to the mini-BOOPs as they go about their business in a fascinating kind of robotic dance. BOOP's careful foresight in avoiding being bumped into is no less interesting, but less obvious at first, since Eadric himself remains in the same place unless one of the mini-BOOPs seems to find him in its way. He turns his head back to read BOOP's words, a little surprised that the Veritech is no longer speaking aloud. Something to do with the others present, perhaps? If BOOP had been human, Eadric might guess it thinks this is a sensitive topic, not to be overheard. Perhaps this is still the case. Or perhaps its capability for audible speech is the secret. Regardless, he lowers his voice so as not to be heard past a few feet.

"Ah? You don't know it either? I'd thought perhaps it was simply a secret project I wasn't privy to. After all, you are completely new to me as well, or were when we first met." He pats the nearest BOOP-appendage affectionately. "I confess I don't know who created the Broadsword, nor to what purpose. I've asked, but that is knowledge beyond my current clearance. However, just from what I've observed thus far, it seems plain their purpose is to the good of humanity in some way."

BOOP's nose slowly swings over Eadric's head cloaking him momentarily in its large shadow. The words on the mecha-visor read: "WE HAVE CONCLUDED THERE ARE THREE HANGARS TO THIS VESSEL, EACH A SEPARATE OPERATION, ALL ARE BATTLE-CAPABLE. THIS IS THE CURRENT LIMIT OF OUR DATA."
Eadric nods. "Thank you. That clarifies it well enough for now, at least." He notes that BOOP has been referring to itself, or rather themselves, in first-person plural. Indicating BOOP and its six mini-BOOPS share an identity? Separate, as indicated by the plural, but perhaps one entity or one consciousness, as indicated by the first-person. Something like a hive mind, perhaps? At the very least, the pronoun choice denotes such closeness of personality, purpose, and/or function that BOOP doesn't think of (or at least refer to) itself as "I."

"I do hope they let me stay. And what of you? Surely you weren't intended to be stuck down there on Antarctica Base. Do you have somewhere you need to go?"
When Eadric says this, all six of the mini-BOOPs slow and pause in their work, their noses low. They seem "down" somehow. BOOP itself pauses too. Then new words scroll across the face of its visor. "WE HAVE NO MISSION. ONLY PROTOCOL. OUR FATE... IS UNCERTAIN." A couple of the mini-BOOPs (Challenger and Enterprise if Eadric wants to know) look up to Eadric in a curious sort of fashion as if hoping he has some kind of answer. Behind them, Discovery returns to work as if looking for something to do while the others meander, looking momentarily lost.
"Ah." Eadric pats BOOP again, this time in offer of comfort. As with Captain Sharp's mega-suit, Eadric can't see even a machine's pain without feeling sympathy for it. "Well, since you're not expected elsewhere" -- as I probably am, his conscience points out with a twinge -- "and if Broadsword's mission is aligned to your protocol, perhaps you'll be able to join the complement here." He smiles and gestures towards the mini-BOOPs. "You're already making yourself useful, and surely they will appreciate that." He might have said more, might have inquired about BOOP's protocol, but just then the door to Hangar Bay Bravo opens, and his attention is pulled to the humans and Broo who enter through it.

A large wide door to the next hangar over (Hangar Bay Bravo, if Eadric has his directions right) slides open and in come three humans in UEEF uniforms followed by two Broo. All of them are pulling an unreasonable load what looks like bits of blackened wreckage out of that hangar which appears to have been hit harder than this hangar (which is half-full of mecha). The three humans pause to catch their breath but the two Broo simply stand there unwinded and looking about the hangar Eadric and BOOP are in while they pull the wreckage out of the way with little trouble.

Eadric notices the BOOPs instantly stop moving. The humans instruct the Broo. "Beasties? We're going back in. You two stay here. We'll finish up!"

"Aye aye!" the Broo reply as they exchange salutes.

The three humans hustle back into Hangar Bay Bravo leaving the pair of Broo staring up at BOOP. As it always is with the Beastie tribe, they get curious. With curiosity comes conversation.
"Washed Out - Amor Fati [OFFICIAL VIDEO]"
Momentarily, Eadric wonders why the BOOPs stop moving. Do they not want to be seen at work by anyone but him? Given the shift from audible speech to visual text, that could well be the case. There are others in this hangar, but perhaps BOOP had judged them far enough away for safety in this regard.

He watches the new group, and especially the Broo amongst them, with a fascination at least equal to the Broo's own for BOOP.

"Wooowowow!" they say while wide-eyed and rooted to the spot.

"Iz Very Tech!" The meek-looking dark-furred male eagerly points. He has the youthful body of a very athletic "teenager." One day soon, he will probably grow into full adulthood to become more handsome than he already is.

"Iz troo!" his female companion smiles. She is red-furred with touches of brown and blonde and altogether lovely. She definitely appears a few years older than her male counterpart, she carries herself with certainty. Both of them are dressed in what appear to be soft hunting leathers with Broo blades on their hips, one satchel each, and various trinkets and tools of human make.

"Hey!" gulps the male. "Very Tech... iz... Iz broke!!"

The female gives him a disdainful glance. "'Broke!' How you know? Very Tech iz human. Dey know how Very Tech, not you."

"No, rilly! Iz broke!" he stares in fascination and shock with a touch of fright.

"Rakidas." She takes another long look at BOOP, then her friend, then BOOP again. Then she gasps seeing it. "Ah! Ah! Iz... iz troo! Very Tech iz... broke!" They reach over and grasp each other's hands and bounce up and down in shock and fright together like teenagers together at their first horror matinee.

"Oh noes!"

"What we do?!"
For a moment, Eadric makes the mistake of thinking "Very Tech" means "advanced technology." Then it becomes clear that the Broo are using it as a noun, not an adjective. "Very Tech" for "Veritech," of course! The same word, but broken up into bite-size pieces for easier use. Like "Ay-drik," he remembers with a smile.

The ages of the Broo are another interesting point. If the comparison to humans holds, the female is a young woman, probably about the same age as most of the Broadsword's surprisingly young human crew. The male appears a few years younger even than that, if one could judge by body proportions as well as size. Is it usual for Broo to send their youngsters into this sort of situation? Whatever "this sort of situation" means for them and their tribe, a thing Eadric can only guess at for now. Still, Broadsword is a warship, and combat must certainly have been a possibility if not a probability. Yet the Broo had sent (or brought) not only this adolescent, but the child Beema as well.

When the young man identifies Very Tech as "broke," and again when his companion is convinced into agreement, Eadric looks up at BOOP. So far as he is able to determine, all is well with his machine-friend, physically at least. He wonders what "rakidas" means. Taymee had said it too, last night. It doesn't seem to have positive connotations (especially in the way this new young woman has said it), but that's as far as he can speculate with only two data points.

He looks back at the shocked Broo, and their shared fright is irresistible. Eadric takes a step forward, meaning to introduce himself and try to answer whatever problem they're seeing.

The male spots Eadric. "I know! We ask Mista Broadsword!" Can you guess who that is? =)

With this, Eadric sees the pair running pell-mell straight to him as if he were someone trusted and familiar. They yell and point up at BOOP who remains as motionless as a mountain, its forward swept wings arcing out in the same direction as its nose. In their enthusiasm, the Beasties speak over each other, but the message is clear enough.

"HEY! Mista Broadsword!" Close enough to touch him, they freely address Eadric, gesturing excitedly and not without a touch of fear in their tones and expressions. "De Very Tech!" "Iz broke! See?" "Lookit! Lookit!" "De wing iz..." "...wrong way! How it be?" "How you know which way Very Tech fly?" "Yah! Very Tech go dat way" "Or it go dis way?" "De wing! De wing!"

They keep on with all of the curiosity of schoolchildren. It doesn't look like they are going to quit until they get some kind of answer.

What does Eadric do?
Perhaps it's that step forward that brought him to their attention? Either way, both Broo had come running to Eadric as to One Who Knows, full of questions and demanding answers. It's a need he has a great deal of empathy with himself, so he waits only until he feels he understands the problem before he interrupts the endless flood of words. Well, and until he can come up with an explanation of forward-swept-wing aerodynamics that won't overwhelm their English -- no, Pan-Galactic -- vocabulary.

Eadric raises a hand, palm out, in the human gesture meaning "stop."

"Name Ay-drik." He taps his chest, then turns to point at the "broke" Veritech. "Very Tech name BOOP. OK?" When they understand that much, he explains further.

"BOOP not broke. Wing is strange, yes. But works. Helps BOOP turn faster." Eadric raises one hand as if it were a plane and demonstrates, turning his hand this way and that, at first slowly but then with increasing speed. "Very fast turn. But harder for pilot to control. So, not many Very Techs have wings like BOOP."

That's an understatement; Eadric's never heard of a Veritech with forward-swept wings. However, saying so would only complicate the explanation. Instead, he waits for the next round of questions, suspecting he'll not have to wait long.

Sherwood Sherwood

"So lemme get this straight," the Chief stares at the taller Mario as if there were zero height difference between them. Or perhaps, as if she were somehow taller. "You went from crewing with a flying gas station to an ordnance and comms guy... in the Army of the Southern Cross?" She could not look more confused if Mario had suddenly turned into a full-sized Zentraedi. "And... what in Hunter's name is a Traverser." This isn't a question but a statement of further surprise.

She shakes her head at Mario. "You seem to have come to the conclusion that you are just the guy God sent to answer my prayers." She chuckles. She raises her index finger up to Mario's nose. "That's really sweet of you! Since you're so soft and sweet, I'm gonna call you... Cupcake! Now pay attention, Cupcake. You're gonna learn my battle bay isn't one of your airborne self-serve stops."

The Chief turns to her bay. It is currently bustling with activity as soldiers both flesh-and-bone and hypercarbon-and-micro-engineered-sinew. Sturdy power loaders and Samanthas are hauling massive loads. Disciplined young humans are working in teams to clean up what looks like small but dangerous tears in in the hull, battle damage from yesterday's battle with the Zeki-Zentraedi (evidently some enemy fire did make it past the shields and in here). Energetic Broo, working in pairs, are hustling about, usually with a human to guide them. There are no idle hands.

The Chief frowns. Fiercely, in a voice seemingly created to bark orders, she shouts. "ATTEN-SHUN!"

At that word, every human, every Sam, every Broo, every loader, seemingly every particle in the entire bay stops what they're doing. They set down their loads and turn toward the chief. Human, machine, and Broo - all stand at perfect attention. The only thing Mario hears is the constant humming of the Broadsword's internal machinations and electronics all around him. Among those forty, every face is serious. No even seems to breathe.

Without looking at him, The Chief addresses Mario. "So. Tanker. How short-handed do I look to you now?" You can hear a pin drop inside the massive hold. "I saw you waltz in here. Piece of advice. Before you enter any area under someone else's command, take a good long look at the operation. Then decide on how to proceed. Got it?"

Without waiting for Mario's response, she shouts again. "Crew! I want this bay free of debris and cleared for flight operations in thirty. Then it's break time for every--" Just then, she suddenly pauses and touches her ear. Mario notices a listening device like a bluetooth in it. "Go ahead, Bridge... what...? You're damn right we can!" The Chief turns back to the bay. "Crew! Our thirty just got reduced to ten! Two Tightie Whities incoming! Move! Move!"

People, living or android, begin hustling like their buns were on fire! The Chief begins to move to a nearby neatly-stacked row of Rifleman Cyclones. They are in Battloid mode and open, fully ready for pilot entry. "Samantha!"

"Yes, mayam? What kin ah do fer yah?"

The Chief stomps on, pointing a thumb at Mario. "Is Cupcake any good to me down here?"

"Why he shore is! He's MECT-qualified with our Cyclones! He makes some mean Italian grub too!"

Throwing herself into one of the Rifleman Cyclones, the Chief gives Samantha the same incredibly-confused look she gave Mario a moment ago. "What happened to your Japanese manners? Ahh, forget it." To Mario, she shouts. "Suit up and follow me, Mister Flying Gas Can! We've got work to do!"

What does Mario do?
Mario looks confused as the Chief mentions a 'flying gas can', then realization starts to dawn on him and understands why she said that. But before he can correct her misconception, she orders him to mount up in the Rifleman Cyclone. As he runs to the waiting Cyclones, he says, "Not a Flying Gas Can, ma'am, but the Spartas Hover Tank. You did have hover tanks in the UEEF, didn't you, Chief? I may not have seen as much combat as you, but I've traded live fire with the enemy on more than one occasion, including the Zeki Zentraedi. Now that the confusion has been addressed, what are we preparing ourselves for this time, ma'am?"

From time to time, the snarling and firing from the gun range stops. If Hercules is of a mind to look, he finds a shadowy shapely shape staring at him and Beema and what he is doing. Her eyes are a calm soft green like lilac.

"Taymeeee!" shrieks Beema.

Taymee's movements are efficient. Her ears perk up and rotate in Beema's direction.

Beema raises her little fists and shakes them in the air. "Numba One Hurk-yoo-leez iz try speak-a Broo! Iz good, yeees?"

Taymee remains as still as the moon in the sky, a statuesque sleek-furred warrior lost in thought. Then with a nod, she lets out a satisfied "humph" and replies with a very confident sounding, "Tayookidan!"

How does Hercules continue to proceed with his crafting? What precisely does he bring to life?
Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus

Hercules's work here is done. The hypercarbon items he has sought to fashion gleam before him. What he does with them are up to him.

"Oooooh!" squeals Beema from his off-hand shoulder. "What iz? Iz secret... ah... skwerel?"

Taymee, also finished with her time at the range, packs up, cleans up after herself, and takes a look in Hercules's direction.

This latter act causes Beema to turn and look at her Broo tribemate. In no time at all, the youngest Broo is jumping between Taymee and Hercules, waving her skinny arms frantically in an effort to hide or distract from sight the things Hercules has made.

"Hey! Taymee no see! Secret skrewel! SECRET SKWEREL! Aaah!"

Taymee, her soft green eyes shifting to an equally-pleasant shade of lavender, tries to peer past Beema despite her attempts at interference. Taymee takes not a single step forward. She just watches, looking curiously but not disrespectfully, from Hercules to whatever he has made. She seems to silently seek his permission and not Little Beema's.

However you would like Hercules to respond, the next event happens after your reply. Make it as long or as little as you like =)

* * *​

Just then, Space-cowgirl Samantha's cheery voice sounds over the Broadsword's crystal-clear intercom system.

"Wild Cards to the bridge, Wild Cards to the bridge. C'mon, now! Git them cute little tail feathers a'movin'! Captain wants ta see y'all right away!"

What does Hercules and his cute little tail feathers do? =)

Silanon Silanon
It's not even a real question, of course. Can't really leave a Wild Card behind, can you? Wordlessly, the little one is scooped up, not without a pat on the head. Sure thing, trouble. Always glad to have you around." The Broadsword is certainly full of marvels, but nothing quite compares to the mecha-kitten. "Ever met a fellow named Buffett? A musician?"
This gets Trouble's attention as only few things can. With great pride and purpose, Trouble stands up and sticks out his chest. As he mind-speaks, Ylva can quickly come to the conclusion that Piper can hear the little telepathic kitten too by Piper's facial reactions.

"Whaaa?!" gasps Trouble. "Did I knows Buffett? Of course I knews him! I knows everybuddy on da Broadsword!"

Piper rolls her eyes and points at Trouble. "Yeaaah. Only because you're the nosiest creature on the whole starship!"

But Trouble takes no insult to Piper's words. He simply flops down with a very pleased grin across his metallic feline features. "I can'ts helps it if everybuddy likes me!" He seems so satisfied with himself as to nearly glow. Hearty purring follows.

"Well, guess that's enough non-sense. Sorry for that. Just... maybe think of someone who'd want to play that guitar. It's been locked away for some time, and good memories with it. Where are we actually headed?"
Piper quickly marches along like a gal with a purpose. "Ah, that's not nonsense! That's good old fashioned chit-chat; the kind that most of us who know each other here use." Piper blows a tuft of her red hair out of her eyes. "Tell me. How's a crew fulla people supposed to know each other without any chit-chat, huh?

"As for where we're going--"

Piper is cut off by a sudden announcement over the ship's intercom as Space-cowgirl Samantha's cheery voice is soon heard by all.

"Wild Cards to the bridge, Wild Cards to the bridge. C'mon, now! Git them cute little tail feathers a'movin'! Captain wants ta see y'all right away!"

Piper stops in mid-stride, clenches her fists, and positively flares in frustration. "Dang it! Every time a girl wants to get something done!" She spins to Ylva as she pats down her belt pouches. "Get movin' to the bridge! I'll be there with his guitar... right after I... oh-just-get-going!"

The Mewwoo's ears perk up. "You don't know where you put his key, do you?"

"SHADAAP YOU LITTLE TROUBLEMAKER!" Piper stomps as she keeps searching. Trouble just keeps watching her. And keeps purring. Because that's Trouble for you. =)

What does Ylva do?

Hercules nodded as he finished the final stage of his task, threading each of the tiny strips of hypercarbon alloy with the ball chain usually reserved for military dogtags. He had made two sizes of chain, short ones to be hung from the dogtags of people who already wore them and long ones to be worn by those who did not regularly wear them. After clipping the retainers closed, he turned to look over at Taymee.
"Taymee can come," he said quietly, his voice a rumble in his broad chest, "Iz not sekrit sqwerel."
He held out a hand and opened it to reveal one of the hypercarbon tags hanging on a long chain.
"Iz present, gift, from Her-kyoo-leez to Taymee. From all Wild Cards to Taymee. Say 'Big Thank-ee Yoos' to Taymee. Taymee save Sharp, save heart of Wild Cards. Wild Cards not be able to say 'thank-ee yoos' ee-nuff to Taymee. Taymee take gift, wear it. All Wild Cards wear same, and Sharp and Pie-pa and Beema and Zyorna and all. We all wear same tag, all be part of saving Sharp. But Taymee get extra big 'thank-ee yoos' because Taymee make saving Sharp easy, good."
He jiggled the scuffed and battered metal sliver on it's shiny chain so that the lights in the armory glinted off it.
"Taymee take gift?"

"Grimes & i_o - Violence"

Psychie Psychie

Toph doesn't waste any time in setting up a quick IV, her hands moving as she talks. In a calm voice, she relays the vitals being displayed of pulse, blood pressure and blood oxygen levels, and she doesn't try to over complicate what she's saying.

"Simply put, Padre is exhausted. He needed this time to unwind and relax a bit, but now he is in need of fluids and most importantly, sleep. Given what Admantium has gone through in the past twenty four hours, I must say I'm amazed that Padre has come through everything so well." She places a comforting hand on his shoulder and smiles down at her patient. "He's going to be fine. Tough as nails, but he's still human and needs some solid rest."

She looks around the room to see how her diagnosis is going over with the protective members of the team that are watching her like the pack of predators that they are.
There in the quiet of Broadsword's Sick Bay, all of Adamantium go from considering violence to a very watchful calm. An unseen feeling, originating with the mad Scary Jerry, flits from him to each of his packmates. One by one or in pairs, their hands unclench hidden weapons stowed underneath pillows, on their persons, or simply quieted away underneath bedsheets. Most continue to stare at Toph wordlessly, all of them with expressions of mixed certainty or masks which show calm on the face but who-knows-what on the inside.
Some look to Hitomi, whom they trust. One look at that beauteous rock-solid woman shows hers to be the only grin in the room. That grin is born from a conclusion, raw and steely-sure. "Nicely done, Toph," Hitomi's professional tone smoothly breaks the quiet. "You've gained Adamantium's trust. Not the surface-level stuff, but the real thing. I think they'd kill for you right now after what you've just done with Padre." Hitomi turns to Scary Jerry. "Unless I've miscalculated?" Her grin shows every confidence that she hasn't.

Scary Jerry's soulless eyes stare darkly at Toph despite the abundant amount of light illuminating the Sick Bay. His face may as well be a thousand-year-old skull such is its stillness and blank expression. Finally, his lips move as he drones eerily. "You've definitely got The Commander's blood, kid. Ohh yeeeah." That last word, more of a dark whisper, seems to slice the very air in its surety.

The intercom blares, but no one from the Recon Marine Group stirs or even looks toward it. Space-cowgirl Samantha's voice comes a'calling.

Hitomi nods her approval. "Go ahead," she says, still grinning at Toph. "I've got this."

Adamantium finally begin to relax - as one. Toph hears the movement of over a dozen beings settling back into restful positions on their beds. But then a new voice, quiet until now, comes from a nearby room. It is a hearty voice, weakened by recent battles, but with the unmistakable spirit of the forever soldier. That voice belongs to Captain Hiram Sharp. As many heads slowly turn to hear him, his statement is directed at Toph.

"I couldn't have walked that line better myself, lieutenant. Your father would be proud."

Hitomi looks to Toph in agreement. Now, instead of grinning, she is proudly smiling at the Japanese-Meltrandi.

What does Toph do?

Kaerri Kaerri

"Desert Walk (Version 1992)"

"As regards the mission parameters I took upon myself -- meaning, joining forces with yourself and helping out fellow humans under attack -- those are satisfactorily concluded in themselves, though subsequent circumstances have led to further wishes and possibly further and similar missions. I'll have to wait to hear whether that will be the case, however." Another shrug, much like the first, but somehow with more wistful overtones. The Zentraedi were his job; Broadsword is where Eadric truly wishes to be, and BOOP a new friend he'd like to see more of and learn more about.
While BOOP (and the mini-BOOPs) have ceased all movement and interaction, Eadric being the sensitive guy that he is cannot help but experience the sensation that he is being watched big-time! In Aikido, to know the source of danger or great attention, one must simply follow the "trail of ki" back to its source - it is a thing animals do every day. Except most humans who have lost that knowledge.

Eadric does not even have to look to sense he is being watched by all of the BOOPS.

Eadric raises a hand, palm out, in the human gesture meaning "stop."
Both of the young Broo see that palm and cease speaking immediately with discipline that would make a Marine proud.

"Name Ay-drik." He taps his chest, then turns to point at the "broke" Veritech. "Very Tech name BOOP. OK?" When they understand that much, he explains further.
"Ayyy-dreeeek," they both repeat slowly. Eadric, being no stranger to language and culture, notices they seem to say this in the exact manner that Eadric shared that. "Booooop," they also repeat and with the same unerring accuracy. This is a feat of hearing, listening, mentally recording, mentally repeating, and finally verbally repeating that only human linguists or mimics seem to possess. No Zentraedi nor Meltrandi Eadric has ever even heard of can come close - but both Broo just made it seem easy.

The darker male brightens facially. He waves with the utmost of friendliness. His words are as excited as they are proud. "I Duskee! I keel de monsta!"

Immediately, the red-furred female beside him speaks up with equal enthusiasm but it fades as she finds herself staring into Eadric's eyes. Her own pink-colored eyes gaze in what appears to be a case of sudden amazement. "I... I..." Smiling but seemingly mesmerized, she goes silent.

Duskee nudges her. "Tikina! Ook-yar!"

"Ah!" She jumps. The pink-eyed Beastie immediately seems to get ahold of herself. She proudly states, "I Tikina! I masta de beast!"

They both close their eyes and wave sweetly at Eadric. "Hi, hiii!"

"BOOP not broke. Wing is strange, yes. But works. Helps BOOP turn faster." Eadric raises one hand as if it were a plane and demonstrates, turning his hand this way and that, at first slowly but then with increasing speed. "Very fast turn. But harder for pilot to control. So, not many Very Techs have wings like BOOP."
"Ohhh!" Duskee and Tikina openly and shamelessly gawk as they listen to Eadric's seemingly-profound explanation.

Tikina points a claw at Eadric. "Wowowow! You speak de Broo before?"

"Yah!" Duskee stretches as he stares at Eadric. "How Ay-drik Broadsword know how speak de Beastie so soon?"

"Yeaaah! You so smart!"

"Iz troo!"

These questions hold not even the slightest touch of suspicion but are instead filled with pure curiosity.

As happens in military life, a call for duty comes over the intercom in the form of Spacegal Sam's lighthearted voice.

At that very moment, a Sam unit peeks through the portal that Duskee and Tikina just quitted just long enough to tell Eadric, "That like totally includes you, dude! Maybe finish up and get truckin' to the bridge, huh?"

Last edited:
"Grimes & i_o - Violence"

Psychie Psychie

There in the quiet of Broadsword's Sick Bay, all of Adamantium go from considering violence to a very watchful calm. An unseen feeling, originating with the mad Scary Jerry, flits from him to each of his packmates. One by one or in pairs, their hands unclench hidden weapons stowed underneath pillows, on their persons, or simply quieted away underneath bedsheets. Most continue to stare at Toph wordlessly, all of them with expressions of mixed certainty or masks which show calm on the face but who-knows-what on the inside.
Some look to Hitomi, whom they trust. One look at that beauteous rock-solid woman shows hers to be the only grin in the room. That grin is born from a conclusion, raw and steely-sure. "Nicely done, Toph," Hitomi's professional tone smoothly breaks the quiet. "You've gained Adamantium's trust. Not the surface-level stuff, but the real thing. I think they'd kill for you right now after what you've just done with Padre." Hitomi turns to Scary Jerry. "Unless I've miscalculated?" Her grin shows every confidence that she hasn't.

Scary Jerry's soulless eyes stare darkly at Toph despite the abundant amount of light illuminating the Sick Bay. His face may as well be a thousand-year-old skull such is its stillness and blank expression. Finally, his lips move as he drones eerily. "You've definitely got The Commander's blood, kid. Ohh yeeeah." That last word, more of a dark whisper, seems to slice the very air in its surety.

The intercom blares, but no one from the Recon Marine Group stirs or even looks toward it. Space-cowgirl Samantha's voice comes a'calling.

Hitomi nods her approval. "Go ahead," she says, still grinning at Toph. "I've got this."

Adamantium finally begin to relax - as one. Toph hears the movement of over a dozen beings settling back into restful positions on their beds. But then a new voice, quiet until now, comes from a nearby room. It is a hearty voice, weakened by recent battles, but with the unmistakable spirit of the forever soldier. That voice belongs to Captain Hiram Sharp. As many heads slowly turn to hear him, his statement is directed at Toph.

"I couldn't have walked that line better myself, lieutenant. Your father would be proud."

Hitomi looks to Toph in agreement. Now, instead of grinning, she is proudly smiling at the Japanese-Meltrandi.

What does Toph do?

Toph can feel the level of tension ease off, and she looks over art Scary Jerry and gives him a smile and nod of thanks for his words. If he had gone the other way with his comments, it could have been a very ugly scene. She then gives Hitomi a smile as she can feel the heat rise up in her cheeks, feeling glad that the other woman was in any way proud of her.

Then, just as she is about to say something, the announcement for the Wild Cards to head to the bridge comes over the intercom. With a sigh, she says, "Well, duty calls. Hitomi dear, don't let these crazy guys get one over on you. I don't know what we're heading into, but I'll be in touch as soon as I can."

She quickly secures her gear and starts off for the door and just then, Captain Sharp drops his comment about her dad. It catches her completely off guard, and the sudden rush of memories off her father his her hard. For the first time in years, Toph can feel the tears start to well up in her eyes as she remembers the unconditional love between her, her mother and herself. As a little girl, he was the rock upon which she could always depend upon, and his loss still hurt.

The Captain obviously didn't intend to set her off like this, and a wave of embarrassment at her tears smacks Toph. She manages to mumble out, "Th-thank you, sir. That means a lot to me."

With her head down to try and hide her tears of sorrow and joy with her pink hair covering her features, she heads off to the door. Once she is out in the corridor, she leans back against the bulkhead and buries her face in her hands and sobs. "Daddy, I miss you so much. At least I have mom back. But I wish nothing more than to give your a hug and tell you how much I love you and I pray you would be proud of me."

With a few sniffs, Toph gets a hold on her emotions and puts them back under control, and wipes her face with the back of her hand. Time to get to the bridge.

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Kaerri Kaerri Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood Silanon Silanon

I'm not sure why, but this Ladytron hit stuck hard in my head as I imagined this scene. Taymee iz ghostly?
"Ladytron - Ghosts"

Hercules nodded as he finished the final stage of his task, threading each of the tiny strips of hypercarbon alloy with the ball chain usually reserved for military dogtags. He had made two sizes of chain, short ones to be hung from the dogtags of people who already wore them and long ones to be worn by those who did not regularly wear them. After clipping the retainers closed, he turned to look over at Taymee.
"Taymee can come," he said quietly, his voice a rumble in his broad chest, "Iz not sekrit sqwerel."
He held out a hand and opened it to reveal one of the hypercarbon tags hanging on a long chain.
"Iz present, gift, from Her-kyoo-leez to Taymee. From all Wild Cards to Taymee. Say 'Big Thank-ee Yoos' to Taymee. Taymee save Sharp, save heart of Wild Cards. Wild Cards not be able to say 'thank-ee yoos' ee-nuff to Taymee. Taymee take gift, wear it. All Wild Cards wear same, and Sharp and Pie-pa and Beema and Zyorna and all. We all wear same tag, all be part of saving Sharp. But Taymee get extra big 'thank-ee yoos' because Taymee make saving Sharp easy, good."
He jiggled the scuffed and battered metal sliver on it's shiny chain so that the lights in the armory glinted off it.
"Taymee take gift?"
Both Taymee and Beema quiet up and listen to Hercules's every word. Their ears rise on several occasions of his speech, especially when he says 'Big Thank-ee Yoos," "save heart of Wild Cards," and "extra big 'thank-ee yoos' because Taymee make saving Sharp easy, good."

Standing perfectly still, the Rainbow Daemoness seems frozen in place - a statuesque warrior held by a spell perhaps of her own making. Taymee's luminous eyes change shades all over the color spectrum - deep rich purples shift to shining grass greens to hot pretty yellows then to diamond-like starry whites - the brightest colors Hercules has seen out of her yet. Finally, the Rainbow Daemoness turns her head and gazes up at Beema, the light of her eyes nearly reaching the youngest Broo. Slowly, almost imperceptibly, Taymee's head tilts ever so slightly to one side.

Beema catches this as if Taymee had shouted. "Taymee! Iz troooo! Hurk-yoo-leez neva lie!" Beema raises her little fist and cheers at Taymee.

Taymee's head rights. Her eyes close and the light they bring seems to hide shyly behind her animal eyelids. Without opening those eyes, Taymee takes a sure step directly toward the huge Greek. Then another, her practiced paw-like treading, the movement of her weapon-clad muscled limbs making less sound than soft wind through high grass.

"Tayookidan," says Taymee as she reverently takes Hercules's gift. A single drop of wetness then falls from her eye - the tiniest of splashes touches the medallion's surface and Hercules notices an unmistakable watery sheen with rainbow luminescence shine from that lone teardrop.

Beema sees this and shrieks in surprise. Hopping off of Hercules's shoulder, the youngest Broo pulls something from one of her ankle-pouches and holds it up to Taymee's face, or more specifically, directly under her eye.

Head drooped, Taymee is still while Beema collects Taymee's tear into what appears to be a tiny dark glassy bottle with a yellow cord tied around it. Another pair of tears follows, and the little shaman-in-training carefully collects those too and then reseals the bottle.

"Taymee almos' neva cry!" Beema looks up to Hercules with a huge smile. "Very proud to be honor! Taymee wear wif much happy! Iz troo, Taymee?"

The Broo called Taymee places his gift over her head. She folds her hands girlishly and raises her gaze to Hercules. Silently, she closes her eyes and the prettiest little fanged smile appears across her lips - just for him.

Suddenly... "I gotta see this!" comes a man's shout.

A pair of sailors in Broadsword uniforms come from around the corner apparently having been listening in on some of this from the adjoining hallway outside the armory.

"I can't believe it!" The first gasps and gawks. "Rainbow Daemoness smiles?!"

"You done good, Wild Card. Real good!" The other gives a thumbs-up in the heartiest of approval.

Beema runs over to the two and points at the big Greek. She squeals. "Hercules numbah one!"

Having been called to the bridge along with his fellow Wild Cards, what does Hercules do now?

Sherwood Sherwood

Fitting style for Macross/Robotech, right? =)
"80년대 리듬감있는 일본시티팝 모음 80's City pop Mix Future Funk"

Mario looks confused as the Chief mentions a 'flying gas can', then realization starts to dawn on him and understands why she said that. But before he can correct her misconception, she orders him to mount up in the Rifleman Cyclone. As he runs to the waiting Cyclones, he says, "Not a Flying Gas Can, ma'am, but the Spartas Hover Tank. You did have hover tanks in the UEEF, didn't you, Chief? I may not have seen as much combat as you, but I've traded live fire with the enemy on more than one occasion, including the Zeki Zentraedi. Now that the confusion has been addressed, what are we preparing ourselves for this time, ma'am?"
Seeming taller despite her shorter stature, the Chief thinks for a moment and shakes her head causing her short straight brown hair to toss from side to side. She replies as clearly and as bluntly as a person of her personality can. "Hover tanks in the UEEF? 'Spartas?' Not during my lifetime." Then she gives Mario this look as if he, not she, were the time traveler here. The Chief appears baffled, but she puts it aside adding only, "Blasted cryo-sickness! I'm always one of the last to wake... and the last to know what the hell is going on around here this time! How's a girl supposed to run a battle bay like this, huh?"

It doesn't seem to be a question she's really expecting an answer to. As Mario and the Chief race toward a large collection of burned and blackened debris, Mario can quickly come to the conclusion that this debris was placed here in Battle Bay Bravo because it was the best place at the time. But now, since Bravo is the only battle bay that appears available for whatever craft you're expecting, you find the Chief, along with about a dozen Broadsword crew members, some Sams, some human, some in mechanized loaders, all busily moving the debris out of the path of the soon-to-be-landing aircraft.

Getting busy, the next 10 minutes feel like something closer to an hour as everyone here moves into overdrive so the aircraft can safely land here. All of the debris is moved to one side of Battle Bay Bravo while the cargo that filled that wall is now hastily being moved into Battle Bay Alpha. It's one heck of a rodeo to be a part of and before it's done, Mario finds his heart beating fast and his skin taking on a sweaty sheen despite the climate control of the Cyclone. With the Cyclone's augmented strength and Mario's expertise, he is able to move a lot of twisted wreckage in a short amount of time - a definite addition to the needed solution at hand.

Right as the Chief and three Broadsword sailors are pulling away the last scarred chunk of metal out of the way, she yells loudly. "Bridge! Bring 'em in! We're open for business already!"

Immediately, the gigantic door that separates the insides of the Broadsword from the icy wasteland that is Antarctica, begins to rumble as all manner of swirling yellow lights and blaring alarms warn everyone nearby that said gigantic portal is about to open!

And open it does! Being new to the Broadsword but not new to space travel, Mario can be certain that he is standing in a clear safe zone; having been raised on the Super Dimensional Fortress One has its benefits and this is one of them.

Mario is greeted with the sight of deep sunless blackness. The moon hangs in the sky, a waning crescent moon without even a single cloud for company. It is then that, as Mario's eyes adjust, he sees a whole lot more! The Broadsword is facing a humongous mile-and-a-half long bulge in the ice and snow that can only be the Zeki-Zentraedi Command Ship. Mario sees at least two dozen of the ships the Wild Cards first encountered at the Anti-Unification League base in Central America (like the Esper)! They are flying back and forth from the Zentraedi Command Ship's aft section where Mario can see what looks like dozens of people, Sams, Cyclones, and power loaders all cutting that section of the ship up!

About 1/4 of the Command Ship is bare and open to the elements as Mario sees entire parts of engine, hull, and everything holding it together being slowly and surely stripped away, hauled onto the "Esper" ships and then flown away straight to the coastline to disappear to something dim and shining waiting in the water.

"Hey, dummy!" commands the Chief. "You wanna stop gawking so those White Birds can land without catching you in their jet-wash?"

Mario looks up and realizes he has a pair of Super Veritechs in Guardian mode heading directly for Battle Bay Bravo! Half a dozen steps back and he is out of the way with the Chief reaching to pull him in - just in case he gets hit by the forces of those incredible protoculture-driven engines. The big Veritechs come speeding in and then up come their leg thrusters to slow them down. The first enters into the bay with all of the grace of a pro baseball player crossing home plate - whomever is at the controls lands that huge Veritech like they were born to do it. Picture perfect!

The second Veritech continues its approach, coming in at a slower pace. It too lands safely though with none of the finesse of the first. By the time the second touches down, Mario can see the canopy of the first is already rising with a loader nearby to provide immediate extraction.

At this time, Mario can either pay attention to the Veritechs or the scene with the Zeki-Zentraedi Command Ship. Which is he paying attention to or is he setting his attention upon something else?

He doesn't have much time to watch as, just then, the intercom goes off with Spacegal Samantha's cheery voice. "Wild Cards to the bridge, Wild Cards to the bridge. C'mon, now! Git them cute little tail feathers a'movin'! Captain wants ta see y'all right away!"

Last edited:
Mario doesn't waste any time in gawking at the view. When the call comes over the loudspeakers for the Wild Cards to get to the bridge, he quickly moves to secure what gear he has on hand that he was using to help in the hangar bay and gives a nod to the Chief. "Ma'am, it's been a pleasure, but I've got to bolt. That call is for me, so I'll catch you later, and with your permission, when things are quiet, I'll be back to help out down here."

With that, the Italian hustles along to the lift to get up to the command deck as ordered to see what is going on now.

Hercules smiles at the heart-warming scene between Beema and Taymee, but duty called and he would not be found wanting. Patting the Rainbow Warrioress on the shoulder, then hoisting the young shaman onto his own shoulder, the hulking Greek slipped the remaining chips of armor into his fatigue pockets and hustled himself to the nearest elevator that would take him to the bridge.

Quite what the others would think of their gifts was anyone's business, but Hercules hoped that it would be something that they all appreciated.

Piper is cut off by a sudden announcement over the ship's intercom as Space-cowgirl Samantha's cheery voice is soon heard by all.

Piper stops in mid-stride, clenches her fists, and positively flares in frustration. "Dang it! Every time a girl wants to get something done!" She spins to Ylva as she pats down her belt pouches. "Get movin' to the bridge! I'll be there with his guitar... right after I... oh-just-get-going!"

The Mewwoo's ears perk up. "You don't know where you put his key, do you?"

"SHADAAP YOU LITTLE TROUBLEMAKER!" Piper stomps as she keeps searching. Trouble just keeps watching her. And keeps purring. Because that's Trouble for you. =)

What does Ylva do?
Silanon Silanon
Trouble, purring like the little mischief-maker many felines often are, grins up to Ylva. His face is confident like a kid-who-knows-something. It is clear in his mental tone as Ylva hears in her mind, "Piper saveded us sooo many times! When she's flyin', she's soooper-cool! But when she loses her wittle human brain? She sounds sooo funny!"

"I'll show you 'funny!' I heard that, you Brat Cat!"

"I wanted you too!"

Piper's return is fiery but her stare at Trouble is a look between friends - this is the relationship they share - a teasing bond. Next time, it just might be Trouble on the other end of it. Piper grumbles to herself as she checks her pockets a second time to see if her keys have somehow returned. She marches off down the hall looking along the starship's armored floor as she goes (because you never know! Keys could be there too!).

Trouble's tail wiggles as, from within her grasp, he sniffs Ylva's chin. "They want us Wild Cards in the bridge! I'm a Wild Card! I feel all important now! You do too, right?"

How does Ylva respond? =)

Last edited:
"Thanks, Piper." Only so much time to get those words out before Piper storms off, leaving two Wild Cards behind. There's a smile on Ylva's lips - partly happiness about the chance to play that guitar, perhaps sooner than later. But also amusement that often comes when Trouble's around.

And yet, her expression turns thoughtful at the mechakitten's latest question. "People who feel all important usually think too highly of themselves. I'd rather feel lost like now and do what I can."

There's a role she'll be able to play in mankind's struggle, sure. Moreso than she thought for years. But that comes with knowing less and less about the world and herself. Maybe better to follow the call to face what's likely the next absurdity than to stop and dwell on the uncertaintes. A busy mind tends to worry less.

"Come on, little one. Luckily, I'm not yet important enough that we can let them just wait for me." With that, she scoops up her companion, and hurries to meet the others - and whatever calls for their presence.

"Come on, little one. Luckily, I'm not yet important enough that we can let them just wait for me." With that, she scoops up her companion, and hurries to meet the others - and whatever calls for their presence.
Silanon Silanon
"NOT IMPORTANT ENOUGH?! WHAA?!"

Ylva might never know if the now-very excited Trouble misheard her comment or intentionally misheard her comment for the sake of the drama that the Mewwoo loves so. One moment, Trouble is as content as a Mecha-kitten can be. The next, he is a whirling "savige" "feerce" and "faroshuz" mass of tiny, harmless claws looking for a fight. Despite his best efforts, Trouble looks about as threatening as a box of marshmallows and about ten times as cute as he positively yowls.

"YER IMPORTANT ENUFF FER ME! WHO SED YOU IZN'T IMPORTANT?! WHY, I'LL GET HIM! OR HER! OR IT! OR THEM! JUST YOU WAITS! WAZZIT YOU?"

This last is directed at Spaceman Sam (the original Sam whom the Wild Cards met in Florida during our earliest chapters of this game). Spaceman Sam stands out a bit from other Sams as his CVR-3 armored hide is aged and shows signs of much cosmetic wear. Plus, there is the scratched and faded artwork of a little spaceman on his chest giving "him" the appearance of a Sam that has really been around the universe and seen things and perhaps collected things.

Right now, he appears to have collected an attractive brown leather-handled guitar case decorated with all manner of stickers. Some are pictures of beaches and oceans, others are cars and trucks, yet others are advertisements for beer companies, while yet others make out messages like, "Wherever you go, there you are," "Free your mind and your butt will follow," and "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere!"

Sam silently steps forward, pats Trouble on his mentally-unfit little head (only to be mock-attacked "feercely" by the kitten who will be taken seriously here! Really, he will! Just watch out!). Then Sam - reverently - hands this guitar case to Ylva, handle-first so that she only requires one hand to carry it ("hold onto that rascally kitten, would you?" - Your GM).

Spaceman Sam then proceeds to casually walk beside Ylva and Trouble while Trouble continues to challenge imaginary foes while hissing and looking mean (O.K., cute, not mean. He's incapable of looking mean and his every attempt just makes him look cuter - especially if you tell him that).

Grr, grr, faroshuz (and harmless) kitten!

Kitten GIF

The amused grin returns in force, followed by a low chuckle. "Thanks, Trouble. Means a lot." And it does, even though the mechakitten will have to be taken completely serious at some later point in time. Just way too cute and hilarious at this moment.

If Trouble made her eyes light up just now with his playful determination, they positively beam at the sight of the guitar case. All instruments tell a story, one way or another. Here, the case itself does that already. It feels heavy in her hand - loaded with solid craftsmanship and the weight of expectations and memories of others. She offers the hint of a bow - with both arms full of irreplaceable awesomeness, gestures come second - then grins wide. "Thank you, Sam. It means a lot. This one's got its own history. And I'm glad the keys were found." Too bad there won't be time to give it a go, now, with new commands likely coming up. But it's a welcome weight in her hand nonetheless. It's been too long without music, surrounded by all this craziness. As soon as there's only a couple of minutes available, this guitar case will have to spill its secrets. Until then, she continues her path towards the destination.

"Desert Walk (Version 1992)"

While BOOP (and the mini-BOOPs) have ceased all movement and interaction, Eadric being the sensitive guy that he is cannot help but experience the sensation that he is being watched big-time! In Aikido, to know the source of danger or great attention, one must simply follow the "trail of ki" back to its source - it is a thing animals do every day. Except most humans who have lost that knowledge.

Eadric does not even have to look to sense he is being watched by all of the BOOPS.

Both of the young Broo see that palm and cease speaking immediately with discipline that would make a Marine proud.

"Ayyy-dreeeek," they both repeat slowly. Eadric, being no stranger to language and culture, notices they seem to say this in the exact manner that Eadric shared that. "Booooop," they also repeat and with the same unerring accuracy. This is a feat of hearing, listening, mentally recording, mentally repeating, and finally verbally repeating that only human linguists or mimics seem to possess. No Zentraedi nor Meltrandi Eadric has ever even heard of can come close - but both Broo just made it seem easy.

The darker male brightens facially. He waves with the utmost of friendliness. His words are as excited as they are proud. "I Duskee! I keel de monsta!"

Immediately, the red-furred female beside him speaks up with equal enthusiasm but it fades as she finds herself staring into Eadric's eyes. Her own pink-colored eyes gaze in what appears to be a case of sudden amazement. "I... I..." Smiling but seemingly mesmerized, she goes silent.

Duskee nudges her. "Tikina! Ook-yar!"

"Ah!" She jumps. The pink-eyed Beastie immediately seems to get ahold of herself. She proudly states, "I Tikina! I masta de beast!"

They both close their eyes and wave sweetly at Eadric. "Hi, hiii!"

"Ohhh!" Duskee and Tikina openly and shamelessly gawk as they listen to Eadric's seemingly-profound explanation.

Tikina points a claw at Eadric. "Wowowow! You speak de Broo before?"

"Yah!" Duskee stretches as he stares at Eadric. "How Ay-drik Broadsword know how speak de Beastie so soon?"

"Yeaaah! You so smart!"

"Iz troo!"

These questions hold not even the slightest touch of suspicion but are instead filled with pure curiosity.

As happens in military life, a call for duty comes over the intercom in the form of Spacegal Sam's lighthearted voice.

At that very moment, a Sam unit peeks through the portal that Duskee and Tikina just quitted just long enough to tell Eadric, "That like totally includes you, dude! Maybe finish up and get truckin' to the bridge, huh?"

Kaerri Kaerri
(NOTE TO ALL: The following is a continuation of the post for Eadric - I wrote a second reply to his post not realizing I had already written the above post. Enjoy both?)

"Iz BOOP!" Tikina points up at BOOP while briefly brushing the fur on her face with one hand. "You iz Ay-drik!
I think you iz... Mar-ee-yoh!"

"No! Iz not Mar-ee-yoh!" Duskee waves his hands and shakes his head. "Mar-ee-yoh... iz..." the darker Broo pauses in thought as he seems to reach for words not of his birth, "...younga? Iz... ah... beeger?" Unable to find the proper words, Duskee goes to words he does know. He flexes his chest and arms. "Mar-ee-yoh haz de sexy!"

Tikina nods enthusiastically to Duskee and Eadric. "Ayoooo! Mar-ee-yoh haz roon! Tikina want to see!"

"Yah! Duskee want see too!"

Duskee and Tikina turn toward one another, make eye contact, nod, and turn back to admire BOOP while Eadric explains. They do not interrupt but try earnestly to understand the human. Slowly, both Broo mouth out, "Wowowowowow... BOOP not broke! Yaaay!" The two Beasties begin to stare at the mini-BOOPs and make many non-verbal communications between them. It is like how some human best friends know each other so well that words are often unneeded. Small gestures, little gasps and giggles, and only the occasional use of words like "Iz kee-yoot!"

But then, less than a minute into this, a voice comes from the portal linking Battle Bay Bravo and Charlie where the Broo entered from. A male uniformed soldier cups one hand and calls out, "Broo? Broo? We need you!"

Duskee and Tikini immediately straighten, their ears turning about as they reply, "Here! Here! We iz near!" They turn around and hand-in-hand take a few steps toward the soldier calling them. But then they stop as one. They look to each other in surprise and then glance back to Eadric. What would take paragraphs to convey in words appears to be passed between them in mere heartbeats of facial expressions, ear movements, and small bits of body language.

They nod together and come skipping back to Eadric. Together, the two of them hug the Canadian (unless he resists and knowing Eadric this is not likely, but if it is, do tell me! - Your GM). Eyes closed, faces filled with glee, they give warm, friendly hugs filled with strength and joy. Yet, upon feeling the steely muscles grip him affectionately, there is no possibly way someone like Eadric cannot tell that he is not being hugged by humans - their bodies are incredibly strong and vibrant with life, moreso than most anyone Eadric has ever shared a hug with.

Duskee pats Eadric, "Thank you, Ay-drik! You tell us BOOP is not broke!"

Tikina nuzzles his cheek. "You sweet! We meet again, yes?"

Without waiting for a reply, and lest they be late for whatever they were called for, they race off again - hand-in-hand straight for the portal.

"Hey, pal!" says the human soldier inside of his suit. "C'mon over if you wanna see a rare sight."

If Eadric agrees, he too sees outside of the Broadsword. Eadric will see what Mario has seen in Battle Bay Bravo (See Mario's post) - or rather, all that is going on outside of the Broadsword and what Eadric knows to be the "Ship of Death" far below upon the wasteland of the Earth's South Pole.

Does Eadric agree? What does the Canadian Wild Card do?

Last edited:
Sherwood Sherwood

Mario doesn't waste any time in gawking at the view. When the call comes over the loudspeakers for the Wild Cards to get to the bridge, he quickly moves to secure what gear he has on hand that he was using to help in the hangar bay and gives a nod to the Chief. "Ma'am, it's been a pleasure, but I've got to bolt. That call is for me, so I'll catch you later, and with your permission, when things are quiet, I'll be back to help out down here."

With that, the Italian hustles along to the lift to get up to the command deck as ordered to see what is going on now.
Mario secures the gear, says his farewell to The Chief, and hustles along. Mario hasn't gotten far when this happens!

Behind him, Mario hears the sudden sound of a Cyclone in motorcycle mode. It's revving hot! Mario hears the screech of spinning tires as - too late! - here comes The Chief in her own Cyclone! By the time the young Italian-American realizes he is her target, she has sped after him, jumped, transformed into Battloid, and sacked the Wild Card to the floor with the following exclamations!

"Hey Cupcake! Where do you think YOU'RE going?! That's UEEF property you're wearing and you're not stepping into the bridge with that on if I've got anything to say about it!"

With a flick of her fingers, half a dozen crewmates quickly surround Mario and efficiently remove him from the Cyclone armor he is wearing. Once they have the Cyclone, they stand him back up and point him in the direction of the cargo elevator.

"Come back when you can do something useful!" shouts The Chief as she marches off triumphantly with the Cyclone armor.

This leaves Mario momentarily surrounded by three humans, two Broo, and a Samantha unit. One of Mario's new crewmates points at him and smiles. "Hey! The Chief must've taken a liking to you!"

"Totally, hawt stuff!" replies Samantha.

"Iz troo!" grins a Beastie.

The second soldier gives a thumbs-up. "Yeah, if The Chief invites you back, that's always a good sign! Good going, Wild Card! Mind your manners on the bridge! I hear our new captain is a handful!"

They wave merrily and cease to impede Mario's hustling to the bridge.

* * *​

Neither Mario nor Eadric notice the big man quickly exiting the Valkyrie that just landed and who took the cargo elevator before Mario arrived there.

=)

Toph can feel the level of tension ease off, and she looks over art Scary Jerry and gives him a smile and nod of thanks for his words. If he had gone the other way with his comments, it could have been a very ugly scene. She then gives Hitomi a smile as she can feel the heat rise up in her cheeks, feeling glad that the other woman was in any way proud of her.

Then, just as she is about to say something, the announcement for the Wild Cards to head to the bridge comes over the intercom. With a sigh, she says, "Well, duty calls. Hitomi dear, don't let these crazy guys get one over on you. I don't know what we're heading into, but I'll be in touch as soon as I can."

She quickly secures her gear and starts off for the door and just then, Captain Sharp drops his comment about her dad. It catches her completely off guard, and the sudden rush of memories off her father his her hard. For the first time in years, Toph can feel the tears start to well up in her eyes as she remembers the unconditional love between her, her mother and herself. As a little girl, he was the rock upon which she could always depend upon, and his loss still hurt.

The Captain obviously didn't intend to set her off like this, and a wave of embarrassment at her tears smacks Toph. She manages to mumble out, "Th-thank you, sir. That means a lot to me."

With her head down to try and hide her tears of sorrow and joy with her pink hair covering her features, she heads off to the door. Once she is out in the corridor, she leans back against the bulkhead and buries her face in her hands and sobs. "Daddy, I miss you so much. At least I have mom back. But I wish nothing more than to give your a hug and tell you how much I love you and I pray you would be proud of me."

With a few sniffs, Toph gets a hold on her emotions and puts them back under control, and wipes her face with the back of her hand. Time to get to the bridge.
"Escaping the Galaxy | Living in Calm Space | Balanced Soothing Space Sounds for Sleep | 10 hours"

Psychie Psychie Or does she?

With the sounds of the Broadsword all around her, Toph endures her emotional anguish. Outside in the corridor adjacent to the Sick Bay, it is a simple thing to glance about briefly, see that you are alone, and... let it all come out.

But on a starship that you're not used to yet, while deep in the throes of feelings of loss all too familiar, even someone as normally perceptive as Toph might not notice a door down the hall sliding open. Or footfalls that quiet the moment they near. Toph hears a heavy sigh.

All right, a bit larger and well-fed, but yes, it's him. =)

steven-hermans-oldsoldier.jpg www.artstation.com.jpg
(Image credit: The superb Steve Hermans at Artstation!)

The sigh is quite heavy as it comes from a heavy source. One briefly glimpsed recently in Battle Bay Bravo if other scenes are to be trusted. =)

Neither Mario nor Eadric notice the big man quickly exiting the Valkyrie that just landed and who took the cargo elevator before Mario arrived there.
Who was on that speeding Valkyrie all this time? Why did it race to get here so?

"Muppet," says Fat Gandalf with a comforting expression. "Try looking at things from your father's perspective. I have a report here that states you saved the captain of this ship? That man is my best friend along with Hiro's. Hiram, Hiro, and me - the fat trinity of old except for your father who shamed us both with his healthiness and honestly good spirit.

"Is it also not true that you played a part in restoring the commander to this storied vessel? Saved the second-in-command to the Broadsword - Commander Kirin? Your mother? Dearest Muppet!" He points at Toph. "That's Hiro's wife you saved! She is the only person in all the universe who holds the highest place in Hiro's heart besides you! I know because he often said so!"

"And what's this? Here you are carrying on the same traditions both Hiro and Zyorna honor so very deeply. Saving Special Forces soldiers and crew mates as if Hiro himself were directing you to do so." Fat Gandalf looks Toph in the eye. "And you honestly praying that your father is proud of you?" He pauses and takes a single breath. "Let me spell it out for you, my dear."

"Hiro is incredibly proud of you! And grateful! I can imagine him dancing around right here if he could! Filled with pride that he has YOU as his child!"

"You only fail to understand here... that there are million million mysteries out there, in the stars, and right here on Earth. But Hiroshi Kirin being proud of his Muppet?

"Dear lass, that is no mystery at all and never has been."

Professor Albert Stein's smile to Toph is nothing short of glowing with pride of his own. The pride he is feeling for Hiro's intrepid and selfless daughter shines in his eyes with a truth no daughter can (or dare) deny!

What does Toph do?

Last edited:
Toph was almost fully put back together after slipping into the hall when the professor finds her. She wipes at her eyes and sniffles, but as the kindly old man talks, the hastily reconstructed dam about her emotions breaks away and her tears start up again in earnest. In a sob, she throws herself at his chest and chokes out, "I thought I had gotten all past this, but then Captain Sharp said what he did and and all this came out. In sorry; I have you covered in tears. And your words are all correct. I have done the impossible, saved lives on both the battlefield and the operating room, but the dagger that struck is very sharp."

She thinks for a moment, then says, "Obviously I have a few issues to work out. Professor Stein, when we have time, can we set some counseling time together? I don't want to lose the memory of my father, but to ease this pain works be a good thing. And I can hear some of the stories about my dad that can only be found with his friends."

Psychie Psychie
"Counseling?"

Professor Stein briefly looks down at Toph, his aged lion-like features combining with bewilderment and horror. "Dear lady, if it is professional help you are seeking, look no further than Hitomi! The only kind of counseling I am in any way qualified to take part in involves a tall bottle, multiple glasses, and the quiet end of a decent bar!" The bearded old-timer relaxes and gives a huge grin Toph's way.

A touch of grace colors the old professor as he raises the index finger on his left hand. "That is also probably the best way to get stories out of me and Hiram. Speaking of the ASC's favorite gallivanting heroic warhorse, he's the whole reason I rushed back here to the Broadsword." His large wrinkled hand reaches out and gives the hypercarbon hull a pat.

His great eyes become stormy and filled with concern. "Whilst in Brazil, I received a message from Hitomi - Hiram's tank was taken out of action by a new Zeki Zentraedi technology? Something that bypassed the VHT's lack of a reinforced pilots' compartment and left him stuck in his blasted mega-suit like a mummy in a sarcophagus?"

Albert Stein's brows furrow. He grits his teeth. "Hitomi stated that you and the rest of the Wild Cards helped him out of the bloody thing and now he is recovering in the Mindbender room in the Sick Bay?" Filled with resolve aided by pained memories, he stands tall and looks about the hall with more than an urgency - but with a vengeance. His desire to be by his old friend's side produces a rage in him and before Toph knows it, she is standing before a near-giant of a man, fists clenched, like a Greek god defied.

"Toph! Get me to Hiram's side posthaste before I start tearing apart this ship with my own hands!" He begins to ramble as he looks from left to right. "Elinor didn't speed me across South America just to dawdle here! When I see Hiram, oh, how he's going to get it! Bad enough, I've lost Hiro! Does he think I am ready to lose him too?!"

What does Toph do?

Kaerri Kaerri Sherwood Sherwood

Back in Battle Bay Bravo, the two Super Valkyries that so recently shot across Antarctica and realms beyond sit cooling inside the Broadsword. Both Veritechs rest in Guardian mode as Samanthas, Sams, and a handful of The Chief's people are attending to the powerful aircrafts' needs.

Though they have heard the calls for them to head to the bridge, both Mario and Eadric can see from each of their positions that the Valkyries' huge glass canopies are lifted up and open.

The second Veritech (wingman), a single power loader approaches led by two Sam units in a casual (meaning non-emergency) manner. Both Eadric and Mario can thank their respective backgrounds as they separately realize that if a power loader is cockpit-bound to a Valkyrie, then the pilot must require some kind of assistance to exit the aircraft (because, yes, the fatigue is real in fighter-jets and Brazil to Antartica is no charter flight, My Gang!).

But it is the lead Super Valkyrie that is getting all of the attention. It is positively surrounded by a handful of Broadsword personnel both human and Broo. While the men and women are sharing traditional greetings and phrases of gratitude with the pilot, it is The Furry People who are vigorously cheering her name over and over!

"Elly Nor! Elly Nor! Hooraaaay for Elly Nor!"

Yes, indeed! The Traverser-become-Southern ASC test pilot is smiling and awfully busy on top of her Valkyrie. She is carefully hustling between one of the missile pods that adorn the front end of the super-turbines that make the Super Valkyrie able to exit the Earth's atmosphere. But instead of that huge compartment being filled with nearly two dozen medium-range missiles, it appears some innovative and generous souls replaced both huge compartments with goodies of a more peaceful nature.

Alone, Elinor is passing out all manner of boxes and crates. Mario and Eadric can see from here that humans and Broo both are wearing festive hats, bandanas, and sunglasses all with a South American flair while more than a few have their hands (and faces) full of fruit! Real fresh Brazilian-style recently-picked-straight-off-the-tree fruits! (Try getting your hands on that anywhere in Antarctica, much less on any other military vessel this far away from Brazil!)

For a brief moment, Elinor and Eadric pause. Their eyes meet. Two different Traversers born of two very different worlds - and yet, not so different in some ways! Then the moment passes and they continue on what they are doing.

Mario and Eadric have a few moments to spare here. Do they wish to use them?

Mario is not going to take any time to look back at the Valkyries as they land; his orders are to hustle his rear end to join the rest of the Wild Cards in the Command Center ASAP and he intends to get there with a quickness to see what the kurfuffle is all about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back