• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Six: All Hands on Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mario curses at himself for missing the AA site. That would have never happened in a Spartas, damnit! "Thanks for the cover fire, Cera!" He swears to himself some more, promising that the next shot will be on target, no matter what!

Elinor gives no warning at all to her passenger, assuming he's already seen what she's about to react to, and anyway he's already holding on. Silently she sent the Valkyrie spiraling away from the incoming shot, then reoriented on the drone who had fired on her and threw four missiles back at it.

Elinor's instincts were on-target; her passenger was going to continue to meow his little head off anyway. =)

The Robotechnology-aided Super Valkyrie performed a graceful barrel roll as laser fire cascaded through the air all around it without hitting it; it's technopathy-aided pilot had known just when to attempt the maneuver and how while MechaKitten yowled excitedly throughout the entire maneuver. As Elinor righted herself (the Earth's horizon was now on its horizontal plane as it was supposed to be), she loosed her quartet toward the drone.

History repeated itself as the mechanical aircraft blasted away at the volley, destroying one missile but not the other three. They violently slammed with the drone causing one of the biggest mid-air explosions any of the Wild Cards had ever seen. The drone momentarily became a ball of fire that could be seen for miles before it transformed into a fiery rain of melting metal.

Elinor's three short-range HEAP missiles connected for 300 M.D.C. into that drone.

"Now that was a sweet hit!" Mack said with admiration. "Mario," she added in the tone of one trying to aid another, "I didn't tell you to turn around and attack that SAM, but if you're going to do it, use that little cannon on your nose. With all four AA guns still active, your chances of getting missiles in are next to nil. You read me? Cera, you're looking good. Keep up the interference."

"Yes, Leader Mack."

Mack then addressed Elinor. "Bruce Leeanne, the drone looks to be out of missiles. I'll continue to run interference against the SAM unless you want me to take it on. Your call."

It became Toph's turn to act while Elinor decided Mack's prepared action.

This may be flubbing the initiative rules a little bit, but since there is only one drone left, I'm willing to let Elinor decide Shirley Mackenzie's action while Psychie takes action with Toph. =)

Toph calls out, "I'm still out of range of my guns, and I only have three missiles left. I'm going to speed up and try to engage the last drone with my Ion Cannons. Stand by." She hits the throttle to bring her up to 600 mph to close in faster, holding her fire until the drone is in range.
In the Ajax
Number of Attacks: 9
Strike: +14
Parry: +14
Dodge: +15/+19 to Auto Dodge While Flying
Roll: +7
Initiative: +5
Critical Strike on a Natural 18-20
Perception: +6
Action Points: 8 / 7
Bonus Action Points: 4/4

Cookie Monster MDC: 400
Chaff/Flares: 4
Missiles: 10 Short Range HEAP / 3

"Keep on interfering," Elinor agreed, grinning as she watched the spectacular fireball she'd created. "There's only the one left an' my money's on our Muppet, so I'm thinking it's about time to turn back ourselves."

"Now that was a sweet hit!" Mack said with admiration. "Mario," she added in the tone of one trying to aid another, "I didn't tell you to turn around and attack that SAM, but if you're going to do it, use that little cannon on your nose. With all four AA guns still active, your chances of getting missiles in are next to nil. You read me? Cera, you're looking good. Keep up the interference."
Mario nods, not that Mack can see him. "Understood, LT. Going to go with guns on the turrets."

Toph calls out, "I'm still out of range of my guns, and I only have three missiles left. I'm going to speed up and try to engage the last drone with my Ion Cannons. Stand by." She hits the throttle to bring her up to 600 mph to close in faster, holding her fire until the drone is in range.

Mack replied. "Muppet, don't go out there alone if you can help it, which you can. Leeanne. Turn about and join Mario and Cera in taking on the outpost. Give 'em hell. I'm breaking off and becoming Toph's wingman now." Mack opened up her afterburners and with a huge rush of thrust, she disengaged from Elinor's wingman position and hurried to follow Toph's Ajax. Elinor watched Mack's black Super Valkyrie roar past her own and through the blue Mexican sky above Veracruz.

Meanwhile, inside Toph's Ajax, Toph noticed that Professor Stein lay in his seat as if he were asleep. His whole body was limp inside the chair's straps, his eyes closed, his mouth barely open. Yet, inside the nexus, you heard his voice quite clearly. "Good thinking, Lt. Mackenzie. The Chessel Corporation is known for their surprises. Backing up your teammate is a wise move in these open skies."

Mack grinned at the compliment. "Professor, do you really think the Chessel Corporation is in cahoots with the same devils that kidnapped Reggie and tried to kidnap Toph? I mean, Chessel's been into cybersecurity and machining for about as long as I've been alive. They're virtually a household name in some parts of the world."

Professor Stein's body did not move but his mind never stopped moving. "Lieutenant, the Anti Unification League is one of the most underestimated forces in the world and yet few remember years ago that the UAL nearly stopped the formation of the United Earth Government, the most powerful authority humanity has. As bad news in the present becomes the past, people tend to forget it. Kind of like turning away from food once it's gone rotten. But forgotten or not, rotten food can land you in the hospital or the morgue. Just like the AUL."

Lt. Mack's blue eyes narrowed dangerously. "Yeah. I wouldn't mind shoving the AUL down a giant-sized garbage disposal. Muppet, I'm coming up on your six." Toph knew quite well that a Super Valkyrie could catch up to her Ajax in no time. Her squadron leader would be with her very soon.

The drone spotted Toph's move and increased speed to intercept her. Toph's plan had worked. The drone would be in firing range shortly (next action).

Sherwood Sherwood It became Mario's turn to take action.

Following his orders to engage with the guns, Mario stays out at his current position to hopefully stay out of the range of the AA guns and he then targets the Missile Launcher with his nose laser. "Targeting that missile launcher first. Lets see how tough they built it." He then takes careful aim and fires.
Number of Attacks: 6
Strike: +8
Parry: +13
Dodge: +13
Roll With Punch: +5
Pull Punch: 0
Initiative: +1
Horror Factor: +3 to Save
Perception: +2
+4 to Maintain Balance
Critical Strike From Behind
Critical Strike on a natural 18-20
+3 to Hand to Hand Damage

Action Points: 8 / 6
Bonus Action Points: 2

Logan Main Body: 250
Missile Payload
16 Short Range HEAP
16 Short Range Plasma / 7
Chaff: 3

From 6,500 feet out, Mario lined up his sights and fired. The tri-cannon's lasers seared through the sky and blasted the armored SAM site soundly!

Orange d20 rolled an 8 for 50 points of Mega-damage! =)

Toph's Ajax was still out of firing range when the drone let loose with its laser cannons. Suddenly, the sky directly in front of Toph was filled with deadly green bolts! Psychie Psychie What does Toph do to defend against it?

Moments later, a missile alarm went off in Elinor's cockpit. The SAM downstairs in Outpost #5 had decided to choose her as its target, but now Elinor lacked a wingman to take care of that for her! Kaerri Kaerri How does Elinor choose to defend against the incoming long-range missile?

Upon seeing that the drone is firing on her, Toph doesn't waste any time warning the Professor to hang on. Instead, she immediately goes into evasive maneuvering to try and get out of the way of those laser bolts.
In the Ajax
Action Points: 8 / 7

At least it wasn't Mario again, Elinor thought as she switched to her GU-11 controls, firing a burst at the incoming SAM missile.

Elinor noticed the missile was not quite aimed directly where it should have been (for even Reflex missiles can miss and the SAMs had fired those just seconds ago). Her Super Valkyrie rumbled with the burst of the GU-11 (there was a "cool moment" as Elinor noticed the cannon's rumble produced less trembling in the jet mode than it did when she was flying normal Valkyries; the added weight of the FAST PACK seemed to make the cannon all that easier to use). The best news yet was that the burst scored and the missile veered off course and on fire for about 700 feet until it struck the ground and blasted into a long-vacated parking lot at what appeared to be a market.

Toph's encounter with the drone was deadlier. As she faced the oncoming drone, she could swear that the thing had a real bead on her. And she was right! Something in her warrior instincts produced another adrenaline rush inside of her. That burst was deadlier than it should be!

Damn drone rolled a Critical hit to nail Toph. I normally don't come out and say this, but here it is - do you want to use an Action Point to dodge or rely solely on Toph's incredible flying gifts?

Psychie Psychie

Absolutely I want to use an Action Point.
In the Ajax

Toph called upon every ounce of her natural gifts and Lisara-Meltrandi heritage to get her and Professor Stein out of that deadly trail of laser fire.

The White d20 rolled a... lousy 6. The Action Point came up with a... *rolls* 5! That's a Grand Total of 30 (before Technopathy bonuses) and that's good enough to make it. Glad you rolled that Action Point! Please remember to subtract it from your character sheet. Way not to get cocky, Psychie! =)

"Muppet, cut right!" Mack yelled over the polyphonic nexus, but Toph had just thrown her Ajax in that direction. For one long intense moment, all Toph saw was a blinding wall of emerald hell bursting and flaring all about her, but when she came out of her evasive maneuver, she appeared unscathed. It was the kind of moment that only Meltrandi seemed to experience. Or perhaps Traversers. Or perhaps both! =)

"Returning fire," Mack said. Her GU-11 rotary cannon sounded sending shells at the robotic aircraft. "BRRRRRRRRT!" In its eagerness to take out Toph, the drone had left itself wide open for Mack's attack.

Critical hit from Mack!

The GU-11 burst hit it dead-center. The drone spun crazily to one side, slowed, tipped over, and was in the process of frantically-attempting to robotically-right itself. The combat pilot in Toph saw an opportunity to take it out of the sky.

Psychie Psychie It became Toph's turn again. What does she do with it?

Lining up a shot with her dual Ion Blasters, Toph fires a blast at the drone, hoping to take it out of the fight.
In the Ajax

Gracefully, Toph aimed her Ajax's guns and placed the drone directly in her sights for she knew, what ion weapons lacked in range, they made up for in destructive capability. But this shot seemed a bit different somehow. It was as if the machine itself were trying to assist. Many a time had an Ajax decided to do its own thing prior to Toph discovering the Wild Cards, but not now. There was a feeling of harmony that bordered on her father's Taoist's belief. Toph pulled the trigger when it felt right.

Critical Hit! Rolled an 18 on my White d20 causing a total of 200 Mega-damage!

As Toph's twin ion blasts scored on the very spot Mack had struck it, the Traverserless drone left the world of war like a fiery blossom sprouting up from the ground. Red fire and black smoke were everywhere. It was the kind of moment Hiroshi Kirin would have cherished, perhaps with poetry.

But Lt. Mack was anything but a poet. "Hot damn, Muppet! Were you saving that up this whole time?! That some kinda special ability you part-Meltrandi have?" Everyone linked to the nexus could feel Shirley's surprise and pleasure. They could also feel a moment of relief from the hot-blooded surfer-become-squadron-leader.

"Wild Cards! Form up on me! Here's our play." Lt. Mack banked back toward Outpost #5 as the sky sped by. Toph had to kick in her afterburners to keep up with Mack, but in what felt like seconds, everyone was more or less together within 4,000 feet of Outpost #5. "Everyone except Muppet, focus on dropping that SAM site first. Use guns. Muppet, your job now is to take down whatever the SAM puts into the air."

Your HUDs became alive with data from Mack's Super Valkyrie. A computerized map appeared before each of you and all of you saw the SAM site and AA guns on it from Mack's point-of-view. One by one, numbers and symbols appeared over the targets. "After the SAM goes down, focus on the AA guns; they should be 'getting tired' soon, then we can fire at them freely. Mario and Cera, you stay on the outpost's east side down at an altitude of 1,000 feet. Blow away AA guns #1 and #2. Leeanne and I, you're on west at up at 2,000 feet. That way we don't fly into each other. Leanne, blow up AA #3 and #4. Once the guns are down, everyone start knockin' on the big door. Everyone copy?"

I am fudging the physics and system a little for the sake of keeping it simple. But hey, we're all here for the fun, right? =)

"Getting tired." What Shirley is saying here in Shop Talk is - she is certain you guys have more Actions per Round than the AA guns. That means after the AA guns run out of actions, they're wide open. And what do you do when your enemy is wide open? =)

Cera replied, "Copy, Leader Mack. The SAM site shall not see another sunset!"

It was Mario's turn. What did he do?

Mario nods again, saying over the Nexus, "Copy that, Leader Mack. Firing on the SAM site, then targeting guns one and two. Firing." He takes another moment to aim carefully at the SAM launcher, then fires his nose laser again.
Number of Attacks: 6
Strike: +8
Parry: +13
Dodge: +13
Roll With Punch: +5
Pull Punch: 0
Initiative: +1
Horror Factor: +3 to Save
Perception: +2
+4 to Maintain Balance
Critical Strike From Behind
Critical Strike on a natural 18-20
+3 to Hand to Hand Damage

Bonus Action Points: 2

Logan Main Body: 250
Missile Payload
16 Short Range HEAP
16 Short Range Plasma / 7
Chaff: 3

Toph hears her orders, and responds, "Orders understood. I'll keep the sky clear of incoming SAMs. Moving into position."

Elinor was amused at Mario's using Cera's terminology ("Leader Mack"). But why not? She was their squad leader, after all. Seemingly arbitrarily chosen for them, and equal in rank to Toph and Elinor -- and equal in Traversing experience to all of them but Stein -- she'd proven herself so far, as far as Elinor was concerned. In this odd unit of theirs, maybe "Leader Mack," combining role and call sign in their simplest forms, was the way to go.

"Understood, Leader Mack," Elinor replied with not a trace of irony, and prepared to take up her assigned position.

Mario's tri-cannon viciously raked the SAM, chewing up its armor. Twisting plumes of smoke rose from the blackened site - it would not take much more.

The Wild Cards focused on their jobs; Toph's especially was important. Yet when Toph passed over the SAM, she noticed it turned with her but did not fire. The AA guns too swiveled and moved to get targeting locks on your veritechs, but they too did not open fire yet. The window of opportunity Mack had wished for had arrived.

Another strange thing took place - your technopathic bond felt stronger - a moment of clarity rang in each of your minds. Professor Stein sensed this and spoke over the polyphonic nexus. "Well now! Aren't we growing into maturity a little? Wild Cards, that sensation you are feeling is your bond with your Core and that Core is trying to tell you something!"

Allow me to explain that little important something in our Technopathy Talk Conversation. Go take a look in there now.

In your bonded mecha, Cera has 6 attacks, Mario has 7, Elinor 8, and Toph and Shirley both have 10 (10!!). You are welcome to tell me in one post how you'd like use them. And that's because as we enter Action #6 of the 1st round, I get to tell you that the guns and SAM site have 5 attacks per round and are therefore out of actions! =)

"They're open for business so let 'em have it!" Mack roared.

"Fox five!" Cera strafed the SAM site but came up empty as she found herself flying at a tower. Changing her course made her miss her shot, but nor did she eat the tower with her new Super Stealth Logan.

It became Elinor's turn.

Oh, also an option if you like...
For those of you who have 6 or more actions per round (that's all of you), do you guy and gals want to continue to go action-by-action or would you like to just type one post?

For example, you might say,
Action 6 - Shoot target with missiles.
Action 7 - Shoot with guns
Action 8 - Shoot some more.
Action 9 - And maybe some more.
Action 10 - Tease those people in your squad because your Actions per round are in the double-digits and yours aren't. =)

How do you want to go about it, Gang? =)

I don't mind going with the 'all at once' option to speed things along. Just so long as we get the option to switch targets if our original one(s) are smoked out before we reach the end of our attacks.

Kaerri Kaerri Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood Chessel Corporation Outpost #5 lay below the Wild Cards waiting to deliver hot hell to the skies if it lasted after this round. (List your actions as you please.) =)

Elinor took her "assigned" altitude of 2,000 feet on the west side of the outpost and focused her GU-11's bursts, first on AA #3, then if and when it went down, on #4.

(All three actions are the same, just a change of target when the first goes down.)

Mario will continue to hit the SAM site until it is dust. It will probably use up the last of my actions.

Toph closes into range on AA Gun #1, pounding it with her dual Ion weapons until it is destroyed, then shifting to AA Gun #2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back