• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Six: All Hands on Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Part 1 of 2)

Mario's blast struck the SAM site causing a series of explosions. Eruption after eruption consumed as the Wild Cards the anti-aircraft batteries on the outpost as one by one they were destroyed, starting with the SAM site. What the AA guns had in range and accuracy, they lacked in armor. You estimated they were each less-armored than a basic Zentraedi Battle Pod. Toph was especially destructive as she expertly destroyed two of the guns alone with the power of her Ajax's twin ion cannons. Elinor also struck to best effect as her GU-11 rotary cannon leaving it with only a shred of armor left.

Once Elinor and Mack had finished their strafing runs, the last of Outpost #5's guns fell silent leaving you with only the wind and the smoky fires as company in the Mexican sands.

Cera gave a wolfish grin. "The base is secured, Leader Mack!"

(We now move out of combat and into exploration time.)

(Part 2 of 2)

"Then let's get that door open! Use missile fire until its down, Wild Cards!" Missiles poured from your machines into the wide armored door that kept you from the under-highway and the rescue of the Broadsword recovery team. Never had you unleashed such devastation together and for a moment, it felt like no barrier in the universe could stop you. In moments that seemed longer than they were, you obliterated the door and beyond its flames, you saw a wide double-lane highway hidden beneath the base, lit by old LED lights on the ceilings and pillars. It seemed even from up in your cockpits that it had not been used for a long time for much dust carried itself into the air even after the smoke from your onslaught started to dissipate.

"Nice work, team! Drop down there in Battloid mode and come inside the entrance. Here's where we leave the mecha with the Professor and do the technopathy thing into these... these... what were they called again? Tornadoes?"

"Cyclones, Leader Mack,"
Cera gently corrected as if she knew the word all too well.

"Cyclones... Yeah... Like... cycles." Shirley said as you set down. "Wait..." Awestruck, Shirley looked at your veritechs. "Do you mean to tell me after all that no one took any battle damage?!"

With your veritechs transformed into battloid modes, the differences between your chosen vehicles could not have been more apparent. There ended up being one problem. "Ah, Leeanne? We're too tall. Let's take it into Guardian." And you did. You parked your mecha just inside the entrance to the highway so they could not be seen from the air. Shirley came over the nexus and reported to Colonel Sharp while Professor Stein seemed to wake up from a deep sleep in Toph's Ajax.

"Well now! It's been quite a while since these old feet have stood upon Mexico's enchanting soil." Professor Stein took a moment to get out and stretch. Trouble too hopped out and came into the open sniffing here and peering there. At Mack's direction (and while she was updating Colonel Sharp), you took the boxed-up Cyclones down from your hardpoints and placed them. You had to be careful because they were quite heavy, weighing much more than any of you individually. However, Mack had you use the Logans in their Guardian mode which made the job not only easier but safer. Once the Cyclone-boxes were lined up, you noticed strange boxes beside them with the familiar SCL-107 Broadsword stamp on them. Mario instantly knew what these were - your Cyclone "mystery" weapons.

Professor Stein still had one more portion of class for all of you before you were dismissed. He rounded you up and sat on one of the boxes as he spoke, "All right now, listen well. All of you. It was when I first opened my mind to what Technopathy could do that I began to experiment. I wanted to find out what I could and could not do. Well, as you might well imagine, there were some things I was good at and some things I was absolutely terrible at doing. So it will be with you. I think you've reached a point in your training just now, up there," he pointed into the sky. "I felt something and I want to know if it is true. You see, I think you are all ready to learn some Knacks."

You are welcome to pop open that spoiler in our Conversation now. =)

The class continued and Professor Stein was open to your questions. You got the feeling it might be some time before this opportunity reared its head again.

"Cyclones... Yeah... Like... cycles." Shirley said as you set down. "Wait..." Awestruck, Shirley looked at your veritechs. "Do you mean to tell me after all that no one took any battle damage?!"
Toph looked over at Mario's Super Logan, and said, "I thought you were going to be toast when all of those missiles were heading your way. Great job in keeping your cool there, Mario." She then gives the tanker a playful punch to the shoulder. "Mack, I don't want to get too cocky, but right now, I can't help it! We are just that totally awesome, coming through all this without taking a scratch! Hell yeah, Wild Cards!"

Mario gives Toph a grin when she gives him that complement. "Thanks, LT. I have to admit, I would have made a mess in my megasuit if I had the time to think about how deep of a pile I had just jumped into. That was a close one!" Then, when she gives him the playful punch, the tanker says, "Don't make me give you a noogie in front of everyone. But I have to agree with you on one point, there. We are totally awesome! Not many people could have pulled off a hit like this without getting even one mark on them. Way to go, Wild Cards!"

"On a more sobering thought, we have now just rung the doorbell here, and our 'friends' here will be expecting us with any and all the nasty defenses that they can muster up. We'll have to be extra careful from here on out."

When Professor Stein tells them that they have now reached a new pinnacle of Traversing, Mario can almost feel it in his head. "I'm looking forward to seeing what new talents I can now unlock in my noggin. How will we know just what Knacks we have opened ourselves up to? Will it just come naturally to us? Because if so, I'm ready to see what I can do while getting in touch with the Core of the Cyclone. I definitely don't want to go into a fight without having Traversed our new rides. What I was able to pull off in the Super Logan has got me sold on just what a Traverser can do, even with unfamiliar mecha in a fight."

Toph nods. "You certainly held up well in your first flight, Mario. I'm impressed, especially when you consider just how long it took before I was allowed to get some actual stick and throttle time in a trainer Veritech, and you were able to just jump right in and go! I guess it would be pretty much the same kind of thing if I were to pilot a Spartas; you've been trained in how to operate one of those for a while and I've never even been in the cockpit of one."

She gives him another smile. "I'm glad to have you on our team, Mario."

Mario bows his head in embarrassment. "Um, thanks. That means a lot to me. Don't give me too much credit, though. If it were not for the Traversing, I would have been lost in the cockpit of the Logan, let alone able to fly it and fight effectively. Hell, I'll take any advantage I can. In a fight like we are in, the only bad move to make is the one that doesn't let you win."

Hell, I'll take any advantage I can. In a fight like we are in, the only bad move to make is the one that doesn't let you win."

Professor Stein pointed a finger at Mario and grinned. "Now you are starting to think like a Traverser."

Mario gives the Professor a grin, but shakes his head. "Naw, I'm just thinking like a soldier." He gives the older man a thumbs-up. "Now, lets take a look at these Cyclones."

Professor Stein glanced at the Cyclones but remarked to Mario, "A man in your position might be surprised how well the way of the soldier and the way of the Traverser overlap. Most of the civilians I've worked with are not trained to think outside of the box; the best Traversers I ever knew didn't come with one." The old, bearded fellow looked as if he wanted to explain more along that line, but he restrained himself. Class, after all, had to come to a close sooner or later.

When Professor Stein tells them that they have now reached a new pinnacle of Traversing, Mario can almost feel it in his head. "I'm looking forward to seeing what new talents I can now unlock in my noggin. How will we know just what Knacks we have opened ourselves up to? Will it just come naturally to us? Because if so, I'm ready to see what I can do while getting in touch with the Core of the Cyclone. I definitely don't want to go into a fight without having Traversed our new rides. What I was able to pull off in the Super Logan has got me sold on just what a Traverser can do, even with unfamiliar mecha in a fight."

"You will get a feeling, kind of like the one had just now up in the sky. It will tell you when to sit, clear your mind, and seek out these little life-changing gifts as you basically have just now. It's an instinct of sorts. Learn to listen to it. Trust it. For it can pull you out of fires whole and you will have no idea how it did it. You'll just wind up as another among the flabbergasted who look back and say, 'Oh, I just got this strong feeling, you see. And I did what it said and things turned out all right.' But better yet, lad, you'll be around to tell the story because you listened to that feeling." Professor Stein picked up MechaKitten and stroked him. "It's not such a big mystery, really. It all comes from the same place. But come now. You are a young man. You would probably rather see what pretty guns lie inside those boxes than listen to an old man prattle on. And besides - I like pretty guns too!"

Last edited:
Mario laughs out loud. "Professor, I knew I liked you for a reason! Lets check out our goodies. Our friends that are being held here are not going to be able to free themselves."

With that, the tanker goes over to explore just what was inside the various cases of weapons for him to be amazed at.

That got a big chuckle out of the professor. "I agree, even if those friend are made up of hypercarbon. Let's see what's behind Door Number One, shall we?" With Mario's help, Professor Stein unlatched a huge case attached to one of the Cyclone. It was light for its bulk and marked "HRLC-107 'Thundercracker'".

"My, my. What do we have here?" Professor Stein knew a gun when he saw one, of course, but he was not quite sure what they were looking at. Mario on the other hand had a very, very good idea of what they were looking at. =)

Last edited:
Mario lets out a low whistle as he hefts the new laser rifle. "My my my. Say 'hello' to my little friend! This is sweet!" He quickly examines the weapon, seeing how to safely operate it. Nodding with satisfaction, he says, "Yes, this will do quite nicely. Now, lets examine this Cyclone, shall we? I wonder what surprises lay in wait for me there?"

Toph walks over and looks with interest at the new weapon that the Professor and Mario have uncovered, then says, "Mario, you did ask for a BFG, didn't you? That certainly looks like it will fit the bill. I wonder what I will find in my supply cache? Let me see."

Shirley approached a wide and slender case. "I was wondering the same thing." Upon opening the case, Mack turned its contents to face Toph. "Ah," she giggled, "I think these are the pistols you ordered?" The case was marked "DLP-107 'The Twins."

Toph examines the two pistols, and nods in satisfaction. "Yes, these will do quite well indeed! I wonder, will be able to get a pair of these as my permanent sidearms for future missions?"

She then turns her attention to the Cyclone. "Now, lets see what this thing is all about."

Kaerri Kaerri "Hey, Elinor? You want in on this action?" Shirley stepped over to the last three Cyclones and their weapon crates. The crates seemed identical so Shirley and Cera opened theirs at the same time or with Elinor if she were up to it. The designation 'ALRGL-107 Centurion' was proudly emblazoned on one side of the crate.

Mario and Toph examined the boxes that were the Cyclones. There was no clue on how to transform them into a shape with a use. Each of them were simply large hypercarbon cubes acting as decoration in the entry tunnel to the under-highway.

Mario grins wryly as he looks at the box-shaped mecha. "I guess its Traversing time again." He steps over to the Cyclone and then places his hands upon the top of the case and closes his eyes, preparing to enter into the Blue World, reaching out for the Core of the machine.

For the first time, Mario did not have to take off his mega-suit's gloves in order to enter the Blue World. The CVR-3 armor in no way impeded him as he prepared his mind to enter the world beyond the reach of average people. Then, without assistance or company, he left behind the physical realm for Blue World.

By the time Professor Stein noticed what was going on, he was too late to stop it. "Blast! How could he forget so soon? Oh, boys will be boys!"

"Don't worry! He's my responsibility," Mack touched another box-Cyclone. "I'll get him!"

"No! Wait!
Not you too!" But again, he was too late. One moment, young, eager Shirley was here; the next her mind was as seemingly vacated as Mario's. The two stood at their respective Cyclones, their eyes shining white without a hint of color. They stood like people in a drug-filled daze. Just there, but not there. This, Toph and Elinor realized, was how you appeared when your psyches were in the Blue World. It was clear from their eyes that this was no mere drug-dance of the mind. It was something more psychic than any dreamy tripper of the 1960s could easily imagine.

"Confound it!" Professor Stein smacked his thigh in frustration. "The rest of you - go in with me! We are on a completely automated outpost - there are Cores everywhere, many of them still hostile to us! Do you understand?" Professor Stein closed in on the Cyclone that Mario had chosen and held out his large, wrinkled hands. Cera clasped his without a second thought and that confidence in him was not lost upon the old fellow. Stein thought if he were just twenty years younger, he might have at least stopped Shirley from going in. Getting old could be a pain. The moment made the professor think back to another old, great wizard who was known to say, "Age is a lady dog."

That wizard is real. His name is Piers Anthony! =)

* * *​

Mario felt his senses slipping away as he rode strange mental waves like tides in a cosmic ocean. Letting go, Mario eased into the Blue World with a grace unknown to him than when he had first tried but a few days ago. As before, his skin was blue. His hair, his face. Everything about him was a cool azure. He felt no aches, no pains, no hunger, no fatigue. He had no gear here; he had no need of it. It was just him...

... at first.

The world around him was shadowy and dark. Not ominous, but so very full of secrets. It was like one wrong turn and you could wind up... well... anywhere! And once there, could you get out again? WIthout warning, five charged nimbuses of green glowing flame appeared, surrounding him. They rumbled like engines and loomed above him like one big powerful pack. Mario could feel the combined weight of their attention on him. And they were not alone. Oh no. Not by a long shot. Something was behind them too!

They waited... And for the first time in many days... Mario Zuko felt very alone.

What does Mario do?

Toph moves quickly to stand along side of Professor Stein, offering up her hand to him as she stands ready to enter the Blue World. "As you lead, so I shall follow. Just say the word."

Last edited:
"Bless you dear," he replied as he opened his free hand to Toph and rested his boot on the Cyclone. "Lieutenant Hall? It would be a terrible injustice to you were we to leave without your gallant company. Yours is a reputation of helping your fellow and I would see that reputation further lengthened and strengthened. Shall we, my fellow engineer?"

Trouble climbed up on Professor Stein's shoulder and seeing a bridge, he decided to wander down Professor Stein's arm, across his and and Toph's, up Toph's arm and shoulder until he rested on her opposite shoulder grinning as if he had just performed some heroic accomplishment. "Reeeewr!" ("Hi!") He said to Toph just inches away from her face.

Last edited:
Elinor was still inspecting her new weapon when Mario blithely jumped alone into the Blue World. Quickly moving to answer the professor's summons, she answered simply, "I'm in," and reached for Toph's hand. That contact established, she set her free hand on Trouble's back (just in case) and nodded her readiness.

Last edited:
Mario is quite certain that this is not a good thing to have happen to him, and is now wondering what to do about it. Just stay calm. The others are out there, and will be able to help in just a moment.

In the Blue World...

The five glowing nimbuses loomed over Mario, waiting. And then a sixth approached. The five made room for this one and seemed to turn toward it.

The sixth paused. It seemed to glare at Mario in an eyeless stare of pure energy. The nimbus flared, a large cloud about the size of a small car, shone an angry red and stated, "THAT IS THE ONE THAT DESTROYED MY MACHINE."

If Mario had learned anything in the martial arts (and he was fully proficient in two systems), it was that awareness and understanding of a situation was sometimes more important than technical skill. It was this training that at once told Mario to get the hell out of there! But the Blue World was so very different than the physical world! Everything was so dark you could only see about 20 feet away. Distance beyond that was almost impossible to determine. There were shapes around Mario like strongly-made buildings and doorways and the insides and outsides of buildings along with streets. In many ways, it seemed similar to the layout of Outpost #5 in the physical realm. Mario knew the ground he was standing on was his Entry Point, but to try to leave back to his body now could prove disastrous. But to stay? What then?

The five began to turn toward Mario. What does Mario do?

Mario decides that discretion is very much the better part of staying alive, and keeping that thought in mind, he turns and springs away from the six angry Cores, hoping that he's not running into something much nastier in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back