• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Nine: Prairie Fire!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purr

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
(Game Master note: Dear Gang, you might want to read this post twice for there is a hell of a lot going on!)

"Bad Moon Rising"

"Prairie Fire"

Military definition of the code words, "Prairie Fire" (as defined by MACV-SOG).

"What did prairie fire mean in Vietnam?"

Prairie Fire: the code word used by MACVSOG to identify recon ops into Laos (previously known as Shining Brass) and it was also used by helicopter pilots flying in support of SOG's Recon A team was in imminent danger of being overrun, or was compromised and on the run – the exfil of SOG-assets in an emergency. Feb 13, 2014 (italics mine)

Military Slang during the Vietnam War | CherriesWriter

* * *​

At the sound of battle stations, the Wild Cards know they are to get into their mecha and await orders from the bridge. You couldn't be much closer to your mecha! Whether you are there or outside in Hangar Bay Bravo along with the many busy people and Sams, you hear a radio call over the intercom. It sounds like Cal.

And he's not just worried; he sounds like he's in a world of hurt!

This is an excerpt from a real military emergency. It's only a short bit, maybe 20 seconds, but it's enough to get the point across. You sure don't have to listen to it if you don't want to, but it is Safe For Work.

And yeah. Cal sounds... excited... just like the guy on the ground in this brief radio call in this intro to "Cleared Hot Podcasts." It starts at about mark 8:10 and quits about 8:28. For anyone interested, I just want to share the sound of two people who were in it for real. There are other clips of other emergencies, yes, but I think this one is suited best for our game.

For anyone else that might be interested, Captain John "Tilt" Stryker Meyer is one of my favorite people to listen to for military podcasts. But I think John Plaster is the go-to-guy if you like this stuff. Tilt here was a member of MACV-SOG back during the Vietnam War and a guy brave enough to write about it and share his mind here on this podcast. He does other podcasts too and I really like listening to the guy and his incredible stories! =)

"Cleared Hot Episode 188 - John Stryker Meyer and Mike Glover"

The radio call is a big fat slice of genuine fear served to some of Broadsword's finest. But Adamantium is ready for fear. In the background, there are the familiar deadly sounds of particle beam blasts and missile fire along with explosions galore. There are other sounds too, but not all sounds are recognizable. Still, not even Hercules has ever heard Cal this excited!

"--Sword! We are 4 miles - 4 miles - from Point Alpha! Bearing Three-zero! We need air support! What happened to Jerry?"

A cool voice replies. She sounds young. "Copy 4 miles, bearing Three-zero. Help is scrambling."

There is a muffled explosion followed by silence. Then, "Broadsword! Chrome Shaman is down. Padre's got her, but we can't go any faster! The snow!"

"Copy. Hang on, Adamantium. We're coming."

As you strap into your assigned mecha, you find that they are activated already without any commands from you. One moment, the machines are as cold as they have always been - the next, there are lights and sounds and some of you filling the two-seaters wondering if the other somehow magically told the mecha to get hot. There is no time to think about it. As you don your Mega-suits, you feel before you see the turning of the Broadsword. With human crew and Sams scattering, the Hangar Bay Bravo doors open wide revealing stark blue ocean below you and the coastline is growing bigger by the moment, including that enormous pile of snow identified as the command ship. The closer you get to it with your own eyes, the more you realize the Broadsword is like a jet-liner standing beside the Empire State Building! The Zeki ship is incredibly huge and long! Even Mario who was raised on the SDF-1 has never seen live, with his own two eyes, a ship this stunningly large. Even buried under the snow, its sheer size puts to shame any aircraft carrier ever made by human hands!

But at the moment, besides the alien command ship you don't see anything but the incomparably beautiful view of hard snow, pristine water, and untraversed ice. Whatever action is happening must be happening beyond the hilly range the Broadsword is flying towards.

Antarctica in summer GettyImages-1185355278.jpg
(Image credit: Getty Images)

Saddled up in her Mjolnir with Cera, Mack gets on the horn. "Wild Cards to Broadsword, commo check?"

A male voice answers. It sounds like Captain Sharp. "Read you loud and clear, Mack. How me?"

"Five by five. What's the plan, sir?"

Captain Sharp is not playing around. "Mack, we are going in after our people! No way are the Zeki getting our guys if I have anything to say about it. We are going to come over that series of rises ahead and drop low. The Zekis will see us and that's when you open up on all available targets. Our point defense lasers and missile batteries can only do so much, so we're opening up the hangar bay doors on this one. That is... unless... hold one." You feel the thrum of the Broadsword's energy all around you.

"Holding, sir." Shirley must be taking lessons from Captain Sharp for she sounds as cool as he does - at least in this moment.

You notice Hangar Bay Charlie's door yawn open and very moment it is possible, there is a sudden pair of roars as the most-unusual pair of UEEF aircraft you have ever beheld shoot out of the hangar. They are as white as clouds from nose to tail and each moving like a bat out of hell toward the hills and ridges. Their speed is mind-blowing!

They look like this:

Yeah, I know you wouldn't be able to see it from the front, but hey! A GM has to use the photos/images available and I couldn't find a good aft shot. So, enjoy! =)
Alpha and Beta merged.jpg
(Image credit: Macross World)

Captain Sharp comes back. "Wild Cards, First Flight is away!" Then there is quiet again as the other channels are probably chatting at a million miles per hour. You watch the two super-long ships from the year 2045 roar away and rise up over the white hills and ridges blocking you from Adamantium. "Wild Cards, get your guns ready! You are cleared hot the moment you identify enemy forces! Defend Adamantium so we can bring them home!"

The Broadsword comes over the hills and straight into chaos! Not two miles away, you see from your tanks in Battloid mode, a small pair of lines slicing through the snow. They are being chased by a huge onslaught of blood-red steel in the daylight. Enormous beams of light you know to be particle beams and ion cannons blast away out of a massive cloud. Missiles streak and swerve and the little team you know to be Scary Jerry's people are their targets!

"Zekiii!" Cera snarls with a vengeance.

At the sight of them, you can hear Mack getting her "A-game" on. "Wild Cards, transform into Tank Mode and open fire the moment you have something! Ylva! They're two miles away - shoot anything you can at 'em!" Behind you, Sams have already moved anything delicate out of the way. Except for the abandoned food table... with its delectable goodies on it. But... casualties are always a part of war, people. All of you know that. Be brave. Stand strong. =)

At this time, you are not certain precisely what you are up against because the red storm in the distance is kicking up waaay too much snow along with some kind of cloudlike interference you cannot identify. It is providing the oncoming Zeki forces a form of concealment. Given the Wild Cards' current position and situation, your only reasonable chance to hit them from the Broadsword's open hangar bay is to use your mecha's zoom functions and find targets in those huge cold clouds some 10,000 feet away. This will require Perception rolls and perhaps be aided by... well... be aided depending on what you come up with. The Zeki, of course, can attempt to fire back at you if they don't fire first on the gigantic Garfish battle-frigate that should in no way be here in the year 2025!

Gang? Post away, let me know if you have any thing you want to do in Fat Gandalf's and... head to OOC to... ROLL INITIATIVE, Gang! Because it's on! =)

Last edited:
Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Tag!

Shirley slips into the Mjolnir's commander seat and latches into the combat harness that will keep her from bouncing around the tank's insides. Immediately, that feeling of being out of place and outside of her aircraft with its easy view and familiar cockpit is replaced by the tomb-like enclosure of a heavily -armored first-of-its-kind Veritech Hover Tank. It's like going from a sunny surfboard on a freestyle wave to feeling locked up in the backseat of a Chicago police squad car. Still, Shirley tries to throw aside her dislike and distaste of ground mecha and work her mind instead towards the positive - the Mjolnir is a special Veritech made by a Traverser for Traversers. What faith she lacks in a tank, she chooses to make up with her faith in Cera.

Mack peers. "Cera, what in the hell is up with that weirdo cloud out there?"

Cera reports, her voice smooth with a strong touch of Ura-Meltrandi fire in it. "Before you is the ji tivularr, Leader Mack."

"'Red Thunder?'"

"Correct," Cera grins at her leader's growing mastery of her language. "The ji tivularr is a barrier against visual and electronic attack. Imagine many huge joined batches of your chaff and flares merged into one constant cloud. If it operates as designed, the Broadsword's and First Flight's standard missiles are going to be next-to-useless and our direct attacks will suffer from their concealment. The Broadsword's Particle Tri-Cannon can only fire 8 times per minute when it finds a target and only so many of its Pinpoint Laser Defense System face the enemy."

"Does that mean what I think it means?"

"Leader Mack, along with being part of Admantium's rescue, we are now one of the Broadsword's major layers of defense."

"Okay, so how do you get through it?"

"That is not yet known. Until last week according to our intelligence, the ji tivularr was in its experimental stages. This is the first time in history the Zeki jerk-faces have deployed it in live combat."

"Then it's the first time in history it's going to meet its demise!" Your Californian squadron leader barks out her first orders. "Wild Cards! Traverse with your machines and open your minds to me! I'm gonna..." it felt so strange to even say it, "...join us all into one groovy Polyphonic Nexus. I say that right, Cera?"

"Aye aye, Leader Mack. Very 'groovy.'" You can hear the smirk in Cera's voice.

From behind Ylva's position in the cockpit of Muninn, her Prototype Super Logan, she can see and hear Trouble beside her, walking around on the inside of the stealthy Veritech's side-by-side seating and looking outside the panoramic view the Veritech provides. His little paws are magnetically-securing themselves to the hypercarbon of the Logan keeping him more secure in his four-legged stance than anyone else in their seats. Given his quiet movements and shut mouth, it is easy to get the impression that the tiny cat is trying to watch everything while staying out of the way.

"Okay, here goes..." You see on your mecha's inner monitors Mack take a deep breath, close her eyes, and seem to pass out as her mind dives into the Mjolnir's. Immediately, Cera's eyes simply sheathe shut as she follows her Micronian leader into realms unknown to most mortals.

It is Hercules's Action. How does he choose to use it?

Hercules settled in, now that his Mjolnir's status screens showed all systems green, his harness tight but comfortable about his mighty frame. He stilled the sensations of worry and concern from his mind and focussed on the distant cloud and the IFF markers superimposed upon his vision by the tank's HUD. He reached out with his mind, friendly, accepting, gently. Seeking out the core of his mecha's systems with a warm handshake of brotherly affection. He needed to make this work, for Broadsword's sake, for Adamantium's sake, for all their sakes.
Hello friend, are you willing to share yourself with me? I will do all I can to protect you and keep you safe. I just need you to trust me.

Mario settles into the seat and takes a deep, calming breath and closes his eyes. "Understood. Traversing now." He then reaches out with his mind to connect with the core of the Mjolnir tank, to make the two of them into one single cohesive unit. With any luck, with the 'friendly' status of the tank to him, it should be a quick and easy process.
Hit Points: 58
SDC: 96
Action Points: 10 /
Bonus Action Points: 3
Diamond of Fate: 2

Number of Attacks: 11
Strike: +12
Parry: +17
Dodge: +17
Roll With Punch: +8
Disarm: +2
Pull Punch: +2
Initiative: +3
Critical Strike on a Natural 18-20
Perception: +2

Last edited:
Sherwood Sherwood

What, if anything, does Mario attempt to communicate to the Core of the Mjolnir?

Sherwood Sherwood

What, if anything, does Mario attempt to communicate to the Core of the Mjolnir?

Mjolnir core, I am Mario, a Traverser and your operator. Link with me to fulfil your purpose as my mecha. We will work together to protect and serve the defenders of the planet from the Zentraedi attackers.

With that, it becomes Toph's turn to take action.

Toph is a little dubious about having the whole squad dive into the Blue World at the same time while Admantium is out there getting shot at, but right now is not the time nor the place to disagree with Mack about it. Besides, according to the viewscreens, she's already in her trance and will not be responsive until she's out.

Settling into the seat, the half-Meltrandi extends her mind out to the Core of the tank, built for and by Traversers. Mjolnir Core, I am your pilot operator. Open yourself to me so we can link together and perform our joint purpose of defending the ship and crew from the Zeki-Zentraedi.
Hit Points: 58
SDC: 65
Action Points: 10 /
Bonus Action Points: 5
Diamond of Fate: 2

Number of Attacks: 7
Strike: +11
Parry: +15
Dodge: +15
Roll: +3
Initiative: +5
Perception: +8
Damage: +3 / +11 total
Critical Strike on a natural 17-20
Knockout on a 19-20

Silanon Silanon

One by one and with various expressions, Ylva sees her squadmates slowly slipping into trances despite the hurry of the outside world. But unlike the other cockpits and mecha, Ylva has a Mewwoo in hers.

"Awreeer! Owr! Rawwr!"

Ylva hears that boyish voice in her mind at the same time her ears pick up his meowing. "Don't worry! I'm a Wild Card too! I'll uh... cover... you or... something!" Trouble paws around the cockpit, his every step adhering to metal. His expression seems to be a mixture of trying to find something useful to do while hoping you believe that he's going to do something useful should you join your teammates in... wherever their brains are going this time!

What does Ylva do?

Routines... how often has she run through all the protocols, has made sure that everything's alright? Often enough that most of it feels like muscle memory, by now. And yet... it's never been like this. It's a different kind of Logan. On a ship from the future. She's preparing to save a squad under fire - from the future, and in Antarctica. And as if her logic-loving mind didn't have enough to chew on, her comrade in all of this is a restless-looking, robotic cat. It's ridiculous. And yet the truth. And the last thing she can afford to think about. No matter how surreal it might feel - real people might get killed in just a moment.

No time to waste then. Teeth bite down on her lower lip. As she takes a deep breath - like she's going to drown in just a second - one arm reaches out, allows her hand to reach Trouble and run her hand over his back. A wordless gesture to hopefully calm him down for just the second she needs. As if she wants to say that she knows that he's there, and that that's all she needs, right now. And then... she exhales. And with that breath, more seems to leave her body. Thoughts,cast into the void, in a way that shouldn't be possible to begin with. She half-expects that nothing will happen. The other half - knows better. Has done it before. felt it. And really hopes that she won't get disappointed this time. It'd be a really bad moment to awake from this dream.

This is Sveadotter. I, uh... not sure if this works at all. There's a squad from the Broadsword under fire. I need your help to keep them alive, Muninn. It'll be a mess - so all the help you can provide would be appreciated.

"Invid Strike" for Robotech. I just dig this tune!

One by one, each of you contact your special Veritechs. While in your trances, all the world about you takes on a slightly blue-tinge, your sense of touch, taste, and smell seem to diminish but another sense - one not shared by all humans - becomes active. You are Traversing!

As all of this is taking place, you feel your minds opening as if you had just awoken from a strange, deep sleep - you briefly feel emotions that aren't yours and thoughts flicker by that you've never had. Then the feelings and strange thoughts fade as quickly as they came. You hear Shirley's voice... not in your helmets or in your ears... but directly in your minds as Lt. Mack completes the Polyphonic Nexus between all of you.

"Mjolnir," you hear Mack say, "uh, listen. Zeki-Zentraedi are trying to kill Adamantium. Uh... can we count on you to lend a hand?"

Cera's voice follows. "Leader Mack, allow me?"

"You got it."

"I got it.
Geri (click link for pronunciation)," Cera uses the Mjolnir's callsign, "your protocol and ours are one and the same - defend Earth and its people against all enemies, foreign or alien. Leader Mack and I require your assistance. Will you comply?"

Her reply is a sudden void of silence.

"Holy McJesus!" exclaims Mack. "Suddenly I know this Veritech Hover Tank... better... better than my Red Baroness! Even my Baby!!"

Cera sits resolute while Mack gingerly touches the blue-tinted controls with hesitant hands. Then a voice neither male nor female, not old nor young, replies. It sounds utterly and completely robotic without emotion of any kind. And it is filled with resolve! "Identity confirmed. Compliance established, Creator Cera."

From inside Geri the Mjolnir, Cera and Mack share a smile and lean forward into their controls together. "Cera," Mack orders. "All that info you just gave us about this Red Thunder stuff? Tell the bridge!"

"Your will, Leader Mack."

"But first, uh, Cera? I gotta ask. Those two big birds that First Flight flew outta here? What are those?"

"Those are UEEF Alpha and Beta Veritech Fighters merged together, Leader Mack."

"'Merged.' Yeah! Wow. And ah, why weren't we told about these new radical bad boys?"

"Because Leader Mack,"
Cera reaches with a grin for the radio to call the Broadsword's bridge, "they did not exist until an hour ago when Captain Sharp ordered them made for First Flight."

"Oh!"
Mack nods vigorously. "Good reason!"

* * *​

Via Mack's Polyphonic Nexus, each of you hear your squadmates' transactions with their Veritechs. They go like this:

Hercules settled in, now that his Mjolnir's status screens showed all systems green, his harness tight but comfortable about his mighty frame. He stilled the sensations of worry and concern from his mind and focussed on the distant cloud and the IFF markers superimposed upon his vision by the tank's HUD. He reached out with his mind, friendly, accepting, gently. Seeking out the core of his mecha's systems with a warm handshake of brotherly affection. He needed to make this work, for Broadsword's sake, for Adamantium's sake, for all their sakes.
Hello friend, are you willing to share yourself with me? I will do all I can to protect you and keep you safe. I just need you to trust me.
"Identity confirmed. Compliance established. Petty Officer Papadopolis, my designation is Toothgnasher. I exist to serve and destroy our enemies. Trust is not required - only targets and ammunition."

Hercules's brain then suddenly fills with... knowledge! His perusing of the schematics he had studied before launch with the Samantha unit prior to launch can in no way compare with this! Every control, every button, every dial, and every readout was as clear to the big Greek as if he were walking into a new workout room. In what feels like an instant, Hercules has a strong understanding what the Mjolnir can and cannot do! However, Hercules being the smart guy that he is and an Army of Southern Cross-trained tanker also instantly realizes that he has no time in this Veritech. Knowledge alone does not equal skill - experience is required. The big Greek goes from knowing the Mjolnir's basics to understanding the Mjolnir mechanically and electronically far better than the Spartas Veritech Hover Tanks he trained for months in - in an instant!

Mjolnir core, I am Mario, a Traverser and your operator. Link with me to fulfil your purpose as my mecha. We will work together to protect and serve the defenders of the planet from the Zentraedi attackers.
"Identity confirmed. Compliance established. Welcome back, Petty Officer Zuko. I am Toothgrinder. Let us join forces again and serve Earth and its people."

Then Mario's brain gets the same treatment Hercules's is gaining but with one important exception - Mario has taken the time and effort to learn Mecha Elite Combat Training specifically in the Mjolnir - this training along with his Traversing combine together resulting in an understanding surpassing every Wild Card present save only, of course, for the Mjolnir's own creator, Cera!

Toph is a little dubious about having the whole squad dive into the Blue World at the same time while Admantium is out there getting shot at, but right now is not the time nor the place to disagree with Mack about it. Besides, according to the viewscreens, she's already in her trance and will not be responsive until she's out.

Settling into the seat, the half-Meltrandi extends her mind out to the Core of the tank, built for and by Traversers. Mjolnir Core, I am your pilot operator. Open yourself to me so we can link together and perform our joint purpose of defending the ship and crew from the Zeki-Zentraedi.
Toph's brain settles into the meditative state brought on by time studying Jeet Kune Do. Being part-Japanese with a father like hers doesn't hurt things either. But the reply from the core is not something Hiroshi Kirin ever had to worry about!

"Identity confirmed. Compliance established. I am Freki (click link for pronunciation). Locate our enemies that we may obliterate them together."

No time to waste then. Teeth bite down on her lower lip. As she takes a deep breath - like she's going to drown in just a second - one arm reaches out, allows her hand to reach Trouble and run her hand over his back. A wordless gesture to hopefully calm him down for just the second she needs. As if she wants to say that she knows that he's there, and that that's all she needs, right now. And then... she exhales. And with that breath, more seems to leave her body. Thoughts,cast into the void, in a way that shouldn't be possible to begin with. She half-expects that nothing will happen. The other half - knows better. Has done it before. felt it. And really hopes that she won't get disappointed this time. It'd be a really bad moment to awake from this dream.

This is Sveadotter. I, uh... not sure if this works at all. There's a squad from the Broadsword under fire. I need your help to keep them alive, Muninn. It'll be a mess - so all the help you can provide would be appreciated.
All appears to be going smoothly. It is only when you reach Munin that the Wild Cards run into trouble. "Identify confirmed. Compliance not yet established," says Munin's core. "I am Munin (click link for pronunciation)."

Then out of nowhere, Munin calmly asks an unexpected question that your Mjolnirs did not ask!

"Lieutenant Junior Grade Sveadotter... what is my protocol?"

Only Ylva hears this in her mind as the Logan Veritech cores are not linked to your Polyphonic Nexus.

Just a heartbeat later, Cera pauses in her communication with the Broadsword's bridge, her face on your monitors show wide eyes and an uncertain expression. "By the Black Binary! Leader Mack! Wild Cards! Geri just informed me. Since the Super Stealth Logan is a prototype - it has not been given a protocol!"

"Great! What do we tell it?"
Mack chews her lip.

What do the Wild Cards do (See Fat Gandalf's)?

Last edited:
Toph replies though the Nexus, "Tell Munin that its protocol is the same as the Mjolnirs; to defend the Earth from all enemies, foreign or domestic, and by linking with you, you will both be able to comply with that protocol."

"Thanks, Toph. That helps. Let me give it a try."

Out there, a battle is happening. Men are in danger, death is a possibility. And in here, she has to busy herself with... semantics. Talk about unexpected troubles with a Logan - and she thought she'd seen it all, back in Stockholm... and now what? Toph's voice offers a quick solution, but quick isn't always the best. In how many stories does a robot go on a rampage because its programming is off? And she's been there herself, kind of. Programming lectures. Robots that bump straight into walls for hours if one doesn't stop them, just because a line of code is off. And here... maybe it's different, but it's also a war machine armed with explosives. And the mecha she'll rely on in just a few moments. So... better be precise, in what little time she has.

"Your protocol is..." A deep breath, and a quiet prayer to get this right. "Your protocol is to protect the Broadsword and its rightful crew from harm, and to assist its crew in accomplishing its task of protecting mankind and its allies against the threats of terrorism, the AUL and Zeki-Zentraedi, Invids and other domestic or foreign threats - as well as in other tasks that the Broadsword's command or its traversers deem necessary. Linking with me will help us to protect the Broadsword's elite squad Adamantium from as much harm as still possible; and will allow us to get the resources to eventually help Commander Kirin, a goal of highest priority."

Another deep breath. "Done. Let's hope that does it. I didn't screw up, did I?" Only one way to find out. "Munin, will you aid me? There's little time."

Another deep breath. "Done. Let's hope that does it. I didn't screw up, did I?" Only one way to find out. "Munin, will you aid me? There's little time."
There is a pause thick with silence as Ylva's squadmates are busy all around her. From the deck of Hangar Bay Bravo, everyone continues to be treated to a panorama of the icy, deadly beauty that is Antarctica. Then...

Munin responds. "Protocol accepted. Compliance established." In what feels like only seconds, Ylva's mind is filled with just about every detail one could ask for concerning the Super Stealth Logan Prototype. Linked with Munin, she knows the small and mighty Veritech intuitively - and yet her scientific mind also knows she has no experience with that knowledge. It was high time to gain some!

All of the Wild Cards experience a sense of resettling with this new, albeit temporary knowledge. The strange blue hues that color everything you have been seeing fades from your sight and your senses, feet, and hands seem to be exactly where they ought to be. No more fumbling. No more second-guessing concerning the controls of your Veritech.

Some two miles away and closing, the distant cloud of Zeki threat coming ever onward, the size of the cloud dwarfs the small puffs of activity coming from the few bits of movement you see from Adamantium. It is clear that without you, their cause would be nigh-hopeless. But it isn't because you and the Broadsword are there for them!

It becomes Hercules's turn to take action. What does he do?

Hercules settled into the seat, his earlier trepidation gone in the haze of the Blue World. He looked over his weapons loadout and frowned.
"Ma'am, the only ammunition I have that could counter that cloud is MPAT. Anything else would be like taking a blind shot in the dark. What're your orders?"
With that, he stood by, waiting for his leader's decision.

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus
Over the Polyphonic Nexus, from Mack, there is a small but unmistakable feeling of uncertainty and mild surprise followed by genuine enthusiasm to Hercules's question. Both Hercules and Mario have a distinct advantage over the Red Baroness's close-air-support pilot in that both men not only have training, but real experience with the style of rounds (if not the size) used by the Mjolnir's powerful 120mm cannon. Mack's being Traversed with the Mjolnir is indeed a great advantage, but Traversing cannot replace experience.

Mack is more than aware of this, so she cheerily and humbly replies, "Herc, honestly, I have no clue! Cera? I've never fired a tank gun - MPAT... 'warheads...' could work, right?"

Cera adds, "Affirmative, Leader Mack. The ji tivularr counters electronic and guided munitions like missiles; our Mjolnir tank MPAT rounds may indeed be the very best option the Broadsword can provide."

"Groovy! Radical idea, Herc! Everybody? Follow Herc and send over the MPATS! Whatever gets those damned Zekis off our guys!"

Last edited:
Hercules noddedand loaded the requisite round from his Mjolnir's magazine. As the weapon cycled the round into the breach, he sighted up on the distant red cloud.
"I'll start with a round ten meters beyond the front edge of the cloud, at a vertical height of 20 meters. That should shake some stuff up and possibly disperse some of the cloud cover. Be ready to tag any targets that are exposed."

So saying, he took a breath, released it and pulled the trigger.

Last edited:
I was going to toss in some "serious" combat music but... then I saw and heard this. Courtesy of our dear Cap'n, re: our Discord channel. Raise dat volume and kick it loooud! I could easily listen to this while playing Cyberpunk, ShadowRun, or a city/urban game of Rifts. =)
"Leftfield - Phat Planet (Audio)"

It is an odd feeling, but perhaps a welcome one, as Hercules sights in the main gun of his Mjolnir - there is this sensation doing so is a bit easer - the controls more responsive, the data-feeds smoother to the eye and brain, and the act of sighting in the MPAT round happens as if the tank itself is somehow helping Hercules do what he is trying to do! Any way you look at it, being Traversed with a Traverser-made VHT is the difference between a stock car and a sport-tuned racing machine - it's carpet versus velvet as experiences go.

And that trigger!

"BOOM!"

Herc (and Mario) are ASC tankers used to the roar, recoil, and tank-rocking effects of those Spartas VHT 105mm cannons going off! The 120mm on the Mjolnir feels good as the heavier, thicker, and more massive tank absorbs the larger cannon's blasts in ways the Spartas simply can't. For one thing, there is less noise and vibration against one's body even though the round is bigger.

Hercules watches his target as his round is sent downrange toward the huge and terrible cloud chasing Adamantium. The Special Forces team is in full rout and still in the open as gigantic particle beams lance out from inside the cloud. Especially in moments like these, if there's one thing that tankers and jet-jockeys have in common, it's what they're looking for most of the time when they send ordnance in the direction of a dangerous enemy, and that is - secondary explosions! Proof that you have hit something valuable. And boy, does Hercules provide!

From precisely 10 meters inside the rushing cloud (Herc can briefly see the small hole his 120mm round makes as it enters), there is a vibrant and hellish secondary explosion! Hercules can bet his favorite kitchen recipes that something in that damned cloud just exploded! Followed by another, and another, and yet another for a total of four!

Hercules succeeded in finding a target in the Red Thunder cloud and the blue-and-white d20 rolled a Natural 20! Rolling two 5s on a 2d6, his damage (all things added together) is exactly 262 points of Mega-damage to everything that MPAT scored on!

"Hot damn! Good shot, Herc!" Mack exclaims in amazement as her Californian blue eyes witness this.

"Hala!" Cera cheers. "The first strike from my Mjolnirs against the Zeki is a sure kill! Glory to Hercules!" The way that Cera says that last phrase - it sounds heartfelt! For the designer, creator, and pilot of her beloved Mjolnir tanks have their first hit on Cera's racial lifelong enemy - and to spectacular effect!

Sherwood Sherwood It is Mario's turn with Toothgrinder. What does he do?

Mario smiles, saying through the link, "Excellent shot, Herc! Lets see if I can hold up my own end of the fight!" Since he's seen particle beams coming from inside the cloud, the tanker does his best to calculate the point of origin for one as he lays down some fire with the main gun of Toothgrinder. "MPAT downrange! Firing!"

Sherwood Sherwood Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Tag!

For the Action Point, the yellow 2d6 came up with a 1 and 3. Choosing the 3, of course. Then the yellow d20 rolled a 9 which makes it a 12 plus Mario's Perception modifier which was not enough to put the round quite on the target - this time!

But... like in Robin Hood: Men in Tights, Mario gets another shot (next Action)!
Confused Robin Hood Men In Tights GIF

Mario lines his shot up as best as he can given what he's got, but despite his best effort, the tank round slips into the cloud and is gone. No secondary explosions.

However, this does not prevent the radio comms from coming alive with the sound of excited and cheering Beasties. Sounds of, "Raaaah!" "Keeel de monsta, Wild Card!" and "We root for you!" come over your military frequency until...

... Piper hears it and hotly responds, "Get your furry buns offa my battle channel, you twerps!"

And with that, the Beasties are removed from the channel even if the sounds of them cheering all of you on seems to echo on somehow. =)

Psychie Psychie It becomes Toph's time to roll the dice! What does everyone's favorite half-Meltrandi, half-Japanese Wild Card do?

Last edited:
Toph takes careful aim into the cloud, trying to do what Hercules did with her own MPAT shell. She calls out, "MPAT shell loaded, going downrange. On the way!" She squeezes the trigger, hoping for a successful hit to take the heat off of Admantium to get them out of there in one piece.

The White and Green metal dice first rolled a Natural 16 and with Toph's natural aptitude and whatnot, that's a success to pinpoint a target in the Red Thunder cloud!
However, upon rolling the Strike, it came up a Natural 3. Sorry for the loss of that Action Point, Psychie Psychie !

Focusing herself and using the zoom function on Freki's telescopic sensor, Toph catches what appears to be something hiding in the cloud vaguely shaped like a Zentraedi Officer's Battle Pod! It is as if the Mjolnir itself is trying aid her as she focuses in on her target. However, her nerves get the better of her as she squeezes the firing handle wrong and jerks the trigger! The 120mm cannon's huge blast fills Hangar Bay Bravo with its incredible sound but before the awesome echo is even out of Toph's ears, she knows that MPAT round is off-target. Then her target moves inside the cloud and is gone.

(OOC: Rolling more dice here.)

Sure enough, Toph sends that round high and right and waaay downrange, waaay past the cloud, and nowhere near Adamantium.

Many miles away... a hopping flock of panicky penguins are hearing the commotion and looking down into the ice nearby wishing they could get away. Suddenly, there is this 50-foot-wide blast of sheer Mega-damage destruction and when the penguins look up - there's no more ice between them and safety! They hop in and swim the heck outta there, grateful for their fortune!

penguins swimming GIF

Nearby, and unbeknownst to the flock, a hunting polar bear frowns in dismay as the penguins vanish out of his reach. "Next time, penguins!" he thinks with his head in the snow. "Neeext tiiime!"
Polar Bear Snow GIF

EDIT: And just so folks know, polar bears aren't in the Antarctic, just the North Pole (where they hunt seals). =)

Last edited:
Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood Silanon Silanon Taaag!

About this time, in the loud and violent Hangar Bay Bravo, you are joined by another Veritech and pilot. As if there wasn't enough commotion between the Red Thunder, the Broadsword, The Wild Cards, and First Flight, in comes this Spartas Hover Tank in Transport mode. It looks brand new, has Eglin markings on it, and whomever is driving the little thing knows what they're doing as they transform into Tank mode while using the momentum they had built up in Transport mode to line up perfectly right beside your larger Mjolnir Veritech Hover Tanks.

From MyComicShop dot com.jpg
(Image credit: MyComicShop.com)

The Spartas's main gun extends outward and toward the Red Thunder and tries to take aim at the Red Thunder cloud and the Zeki within it. But not before you get a familiar stern and determined male human voice coming over your squad communication channel.

"Wild Cards! Is this is a private party or do you all mind a cranky old man joining you?"

f34dda31a74c8b056321a3d9c14bb0c7.jpg
(Image credit: TacomaWorld.com)

"Oh, hell yeah!" Mack nearly shrieks while beside her, Cera grins with something that could be called pride.

(Game Master note: Surprise, Gang! A new force has joined the field and I bet I don't have to name him! As a result, everyone Roll Initiative again or give me your comments in Fat Gandalf's! =))

Mario gives a real grin. "Oh, yeah! Lets show those Zeki how we do things here on Earth!"

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood Silanon Silanon

"Thank you for having me," Captain Sharp replies with a grin. "Troops, we've got a situation to solve here and I could use your help. That command ship sitting off our bow is more than 10 times the size of the frigate we're in - if she wakes up and opens fire, we're probably done for. But she's quiet at the moment.

"Adamantium is in hot trouble even with us here. With that cloud out there, we're unable to use our missiles, both those on the Broadsword, you, and First Flight. So... do you have any ideas on how to beat this Red Thunder cloud of the Zeki's?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back