• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Nine: Crossroads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purr

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
(DM Note: Thus begins Chapter Nine: Crossroads! This post was taken from Chapter Eight. Please continue posting here. =) )

At Wolf's command, Pecker burst forth from his enchanted talisman. Such was the energy from those unfurled feathers and the mad chirping that followed that Wolf may as well have unleashed a feathered typhoon. As if Pecker had been hearing everything going on, the feisty falcon immediately set upon Sparkle. Those that could speak the language of animals could understand his every excited chirp.

"Stupid old reptiiiiile!"

Sparkle hopped onto the ground and crouched into a battle stance, her eyes and tail gleaming. What?! You oafish avian!

Pecker soared down, his wings spread. "Steak lover!"

Sparkle reared up. Stinky fish-breathed buffoon!

And they "hugged." It was as affectionate a sight between two such creatures that ever was. Pecker and cleaning Sparkle's neck and wing while Sparkle leaned her head against his, both of them showing a clear fondness for one another. But there was sadness too, for no two real friends can part toward uncertain futures without the pang of sadness ringing loudly from within.

"Scale-face..."

Bird-brain...

The lives of birds have never been that of dragons, for dragons on Sharseya are known to have outlived humans, dwarves, even elves while the life of a falcon is fleeting by comparison. They both knew that should they meet again, time, precious time, would pass. And with its passing would come changes. If this were to be their last parting between young bird and old dragoness, this is the way they both wanted it to be.

And so it was until Pecker flew back faithfully to Leonard Wolf's shoulder and Sparkle loyally to Luna's. There, they continued to look upon one another, unknowing what time held for either of them, but heartfully glad for what time they had shared together.

*​
(GM mood music in spoiler)
"Fly By Night" by Rush! =)

He nodded firmly, his smile broadening, and then he turned to Ranthorn. "Take care of our Wolf, will you, and let him take care of you? I wish you all the best in your growing relationship. I know what it is to have a family member suddenly appear into your life, and I hope you two find the same joy in it that I did."

Bren's words caused Ranthorn the Ranger to pause in thought. 'That's a tall order, Sarabina. I'm not used to having anyone around to do such a thing. Except Shalin, really. I don't know where I would be without him."

Shalin looked up to the tall human. With practiced hand, he scribed golden words that shone for a moment in the air. "Like rain and earth, our friendship has nurtured us both, rugged Ranthorn. May I offer my magic to transport you both northward and closer to Haydan?"

Ranthorn brightened. "And slice all that time on the road in getting there? By all means!"

"Where would your booted feet tread? What door would you lay hand upon?"

"Agnon Most-holy's high temple belonging to Thor. I--" he glanced at Leonard, "--we can begin our trek from there."

Shalin nodded.

"But first..." Ranthorn looked worried. "Tell me true, Shalin. Do you think we can recover Haydan from the Frost Giants? I yearn to know why they have not killed him. It is true that the sons and daughters of Ymir enjoy making slaves of humans, but..."

"Have hope, Ranthorn! We know Haydan draws breath still. For now, that must be enough. While he is alive, there is hope. The rest may be learned after you find him."

"Aye... It is as you say. But all these years..." Ranthorn cringed at the thought of the time he and Haydan had been apart. He kicked the corpse of an ogre so hard it shuddered. He roared. "More than twenty years! Why must rescuing him be like climbing a damned mountain?!"

Shalin raised a hand to his lip. Then he scribed. "Long ago in your years, a dear friend shared a poem of his people with me..."

Unbeknownst to the Wayfaring Wanderers with Shalin and Ranthorn, a similar conversation was taking place along The Road of Kings in the Adventurers' Wagon. Bria and Glider sat upon plush pillows in the candlelight reflected from the calm of the Grand Pool.

Bria put down her quill and journal. "Glider, I would not be who I am had I never left the Phoenix Mountain and became an adventurer, but... is it because of the journey that I am who I am now? Do you think I would be much changed I had stayed?"

Glider sat in lotus position with a smile across his face. "No, Bria-honey. Whether you like it or not, you are the path you have walked. We all are."

"And if I choose to continue adventuring?"

"By choosing to climb instead of walk, you will surpass survival and through your efforts, succeed."

"Wow... Does that path have a name?"

Glider looked into the water of the Grand Pool and reflected on that thought. Then he spoke in poetry...

At that moment... both Shalin and Glider shared the same words. Here are those words:

"Climb, rise, yearn, strive, reach

Each plateau a new challenge

The Highest Mountain."

Ranthorn nodded. Once again, the sorcerer had dispelled his worry with his own personal brand of magic and now it was time to go. Ranthorn placed his hand on his younger son's shoulder and ready for anything, drew his notched battleaxe with his other hand. Sparkle looked toward Pecker who returned her gaze while Powerpaw paused in his sniffing of the earth to watch. His mother watched too. Then both Felane waved to Leonard Wolf and Ranthorn the Ranger as the Silent Sorcerer, Staff of the Magi in hand, closed his eyes and seemed to speak though not one word could be heard.

Long moments of silence followed. But then, at least for Otiorin, Bren, and Mamapaw, there was something heard. Not far from their very own feet, a patch of earth shifted and broke ever so subtly. There, unknown to all above ground, was a hole in the earth hidden expertly by some denizen of the wild. Something or someone in that hole was trying to get out and hearing nothing, slowly and cautiously came forth. However, as her fey-like eyes fell upon Shalin's charismatic casting, she could not possibly know that behind her were the three aforementioned adventurers watching her peek out from the earth.

Something in Leonard's instincts called to him and he turned. When he did, he laid eyes upon Nivirea who also saw him. Though complete strangers, they met eyes however briefly. Pecker saw this too.

It was then that Ranthorn, Leonard Wolf, and Pecker who was quiet for once, disappeared in a beautiful flash of sunlight and were gone.

Soft gasps and murmurs of wonder were heard from the Grugach who watched from the safety of trees and shrub. So equally-hid and protected Nivirea thought herself, so easily did this ageless elven sorcerer she gazed upon bring forth such powerful magic that she was distracted.

But Bren, Otiorin, and Mamapaw were not so distracted to miss this new human-sized young woman in the hole with her back to them.

What do Bren and Otiorin do?

Last edited:
HP: 56

Spells per day(1st:2nd)/remaining(1st:2nd): 4:3

Spells available: Daze, Detect Magic, Ghost Sounds, Open/Close, Ray of Frost, Read Magic, Gravity Bow, Shield, Summon Monster 1, Mage Armor, Ice Slick

Active effects: Mage Armor, Shield

Otiorin's sensitive ears pricked at the sound of someone moving ever so cautiously behind him. A glance and he saw a young human woman peeking out from the cover of a well-concealed hole in the ground. He observed no ill-intent in her actions, indeed she seemed transfixed watching Shalin's magical exertions. He smirked and lightly tapped Mamapaw and Bren on the arms, pressing a finger to his lips. Then, with all his surpassing grace and stealth, he flitted over to her covert observation place.

"Oh-ho!", he chuckled once he was close by, "What have we here, a-peeking from a hole in the ground? Not a Redcap, indeed, she wears no cap at all. Nor even a Nymph. Too tall for a Gnome or Halfling, and too sweet-smelling for an Orc. So, the conundrum exists, what comes forth from this hole in the ground?"

.:|Nivirea Varelys - The Sorceress|:.

Startled out of her distracted state, the girl nearly fell right back down the hole. She returned a wide-eyed stare to the person behind her, seemingly calmed down for the moment thanks to Otiorin's friendly approach. But it was only for the moment.

"What? How dare you!" she burst out of the hole with more force than would be expected. Her voice carried across the clearing. "Sneaking up on me like that! I could turn you to -" She silenced herself mid-threat, having become aware of the other people present way behind him. She took her green eyes elsewhere for only the brief few moments needed to take in the rest of her surroundings. The scattered bodies of dead-looking giants all around didn't seem to upset her more than she already was. "Who are you people? What happened here?" she demanded, though her angry frown was already quickly waning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Luna didn't notice the new arrival until Otiorin called out about her. She spins around, already thinking about what spell might be needed. Her level of tension starts to fade as she takes in the scene between the stranger and Otiorin. "Making new friends, are we?"

Cantrips: Detect Magic, Dancing Lights, Mage Hand, Read Magic

1 - Shield, Magic Missile x2, Unseen Servant, Ear Piercing Scream

2 - Scorching Ray x3, Protection From Arrows

3 - Haste, Fireball, Displacement, Lightning Bolt

4 - Ball Lightning x2, Shout

Extended Mage Armor in effect until 1 am

Bren Sarabina

Standard AC: 27

Fort save: +12

Ref save: +8

Will save: +4

Current action points: 9

Current HP: 87/87

Status effects: none

Powerpaw's tower shield +1

(-2 to attack rolls)

Spell: Speak with Animals

Speech color, for reference

Bren's words caused Ranthorn the Ranger to pause in thought.  'That's a tall order, Sarabina.  I'm not used to having anyone around to do such a thing.  Except Shalin, really.  I don't know where I would be without him."

Bren nodded soberly in reply.  "It's one of life's greatest lessons, and a blessing too, to be able to rely on people and know they are relying on you.  A large thing, but a good thing."

That said, he stepped back and listened/watched Shalin and Ranthorn's conversation, smiling at the display of wondrous magic in the teleporting.

Sound and movement off to the side caught his eye, and he turned his head to see the young woman appear from the earth as if by a different sort of magic.  Startled, he nodded in response to Otiorin's silent request, grinning at the conclusion of the half-elf's "stalk" and the reaction it drew from his "prey."  He shook his head in amusement and approached closer.  "How dare he, miss?  At least my friend here came up openly, for all you just didn't see him.  Where did you come from?  Have you been skulking there all this while?"  His tone and expression weren't at all hostile, despite his words.  Unless she was much more dangerous than she looked, he had faith that his little group could handle any trouble this young woman might cause.

(Spoiler includes location, time, and weather)

Location: Off the Road of Kings, somewhere in Southern Shandra's Evergreen (9 days south of Highwind)
Travel time to Highwind: On day 5 of 14.
Sunday, September 21st, 1118. Time: 11:50 a.m.
Weather: Sunny and calm for the moment.

Tail swishing, Melshaef took a few steps toward the newcomer. The Felane's whiskers rose and her nose sniffed as she examined the human below her. She chuckled lightly. "Decent clothing, well-fed, quick to outrage, and demanding. Merciful Mielikki, the last time I saw such a combination it came from noble lineage." Melshaef glanced at Otiorin and flashed a grin at him. "Young human, look around you a little more deeply. If we were friends of foul Formorians and brutish ogres, would we not have brought violence to you instead of conversation?" Melshaef pointed a claw toward herself, Otiorin, and Bren.

Meanwhile, Shalin, Sparkle, and Powerpaw all turned to the new scene, each with their own surprised expressions and stares at the newcomer. Shalin walked casually to stand beside Luna and Sparkle who by that time was tapping politely on Luna's foot in a request to be picked up. Powerpaw on the other paw came running up to the scene on all fours - a bounding calamity of armor, fur, and muscle. Blood-red eyes glaring, he stood protectively near his mother while he sniffed both the hole and the newcomer.

"Hay! How'd I miss dat hole? What da face?!"

Last edited:
Luna reaches down and scoops up Sparkle and gently sets her on her shoulder, letting the pseudo dragon burrow up under her hair at the base of her neck. Seeing that Powerpaw is charging up, Luna holds out her hands. "Stop Powerpaw! This person does not appear to be a threat, and I'd most likely not in league with the ogres that have fallen here. Stay calm as we seek out our answers."

Turning to face the woman, she offers up a polite bow. "Greetings, neighbor. I an Luna Callen, and these are my companions. We are an adventuring party, and have recently come across this massacre, and the mage that did it. Would you please do us the honor of giving us your name, and how you came to be hiding in such a hole?"

.:|Nivirea Varelys - The Sorceress|:.

[COLOR= rgb(152, 157, 160)]She wasn't even finished with the first individual when another walked up to her. [/COLOR]"Skulking?" she gasped, barely having the time to look properly offended when she was beset by more. And each more bizarre-looking than the previous. Before long the girl looked more perplexed than indignant, her mood shifting to something that could probably be reasoned with. Until Powerpaw charged at her. Not that his presence went unnoticed earlier, but hurtling on all fours towards you he commanded considerably more attention. Luna's appeal was well executed, for the young arrival had already tensed as if about to defend herself.

Still eyeing the beast with the utmost caution, she lowered her guard and went about dusting herself off. It was quick but detailed work, and she did not speak until she brushed off every grain of soil and dust off her black robes, looking somewhat annoyed at the streaks of dirt that were there to stay, desecrating the intricate, woven green patterns. Having put her black hair in as much order as possible, the girl straightened up to look even prouder than before; as if waiting for a previously obscured radiance to finally dawn upon the host before her. When that didn't happen, she looked only a tad disappointed.

"First of all, I was most certainly not hiding." she spoke at last, adopting her previous haughty tone of voice, but with less force now. She seemed a lot more at ease. Like she was back in her element, whatever that element was. "Truthfully, I was looking for ogres." she explained, then deliberately glanced left and right. "Which you've slain. I have no issue with that. Good job." She said it almost dismissively, but her eyes reported that the magnitude of the task was not entirely lost on her. She glanced over everyone who was gathered once again, visibly cooling down. Her next words were surprisingly polite and apologetic in contrast to before. "Please forgive my outburst. I've not been subjected to many pleasantries this week. Until just now." She looked favorably at Luna as she said that, smiling. It was clear that she approved of her. "My name is Nivirea. It is a genuine pleasure to meet you, Luna Callen. I hope your companions are possessed of such manners beneath their peculiar exteriors." She gave another look-over to the rest of the party, more curious than before. A previously overshadowed intelligence was now able to shine prominently in those dark green eyes of hers. She still held herself highly, but didn't seem to condemn anyone anymore.

Suddenly she froze, as if remembering something important. "Or in place of manners, could you produce a healer by any chance?" she asked, her eyes settling on Luna first, then Bren, and finally Melshaef. She looked worried.

Despite all of Nivirea's formidable education in nature and the creatures that make up the natural world, nothing in her mind knew of these giant humanoid cats that now examined her with, well, cat-like curiosity. As if meeting a half-elf and seeing the pseudo-dragon on Luna's shoulder were not rare enough occurrences, these cat-creatures did not exist in any work of mythology, animal study, monster lore, or any other story or study she had ever come across. This adventuring party was also unknown to her. While adventuring parties came and went in Summerset, she would have certainly heard of one that was made up of such a wide variety of people as these.

Seeing that Powerpaw is charging up, Luna holds out her hands. "Stop Powerpaw! This person does not appear to be a threat, and I'd most likely not in league with the ogres that have fallen here. Stay calm as we seek out our answers."

"Rewax, Luna-face!" the large and furry warrior sniffed without taking his attention away from the hole or the newcomer. His voice did not seem to match his body, for it sounded silly; his growls as he perused the hole, however, sounded anything but. "Dis is how Kitty-faces say 'hi!' don'tcha knowz? Doezn't you haz kitties in yer home?" He made high-pitched "chirping" sounds as his nose and instincts told him so many things that his eyes and ears alone could not. "Hay, Bren!" He waved at the muscular human warrior. "C'mere an' see da hole, boss!"

"Please forgive my outburst. I've not been subjected to many pleasantries this week. Until just now."

"Oh, no probwem, Nivireas-face! You waz probabwy just scarededs. I iz Powerpaw," he pointed at his face with a sharp claw. Then he indicated where she had come from. "Iz you an adventurers like us? An' what's in da hole?"

Suddenly she froze, as if remembering something important. "Or in place of manners, could you produce a healer by any chance?" she asked, her eyes settling on Luna first, then Bren, and finally Melshaef. She looked worried.

The other cat had finished in her examination. She regarded Nivirea with narrowed eyes and a slowly-twitching tail. "I am..." she paused in thought, then continued, "...called Melshaef. I am a Druidess of Bountiful Bast and Marvelous Mielikki. I smell no blood upon you nor sense any injury. What need have you? Are you afflicted by a curse or some disease?" Then she too turned to Bren as if seeking leadership. Her expression to him seemed to ask him, "And if she is, what do you want to take place here?"

Shalin slowly strode to Bren's side, his fabled staff in hand. The mysterious elf appeared thoughtful as he absently brushed a hand to straighten his shining blond-gold hair. His every motion was graceful and of a charm that was hard not to watch. Now Nivirea noticed not only a legendary Staff of the Magi in his possession, but also dragon-headed rod that hung in midair behind him. This latter item burned and crackled and followed him around, until, with an upraised hand and a flick of his fingers, the rod doused itself and disappeared into the sleeve of his robe.

It was then that Nivirea knew him. For all expert sorcerers like her were told of the tales of fabulous magisters everywhere. Without a doubt, the magic-user she had been watching from the hole was none other than Shalin of the Broken River, also known as The Silent Sorcerer.

(Spoiler - bits of lore known by Nivirea)
Dungeon Master note - Forgive me a moment of laziness here as I repeat information I wrote in Chapter Eight for Nivirea's benefit. =)
Re: Staff of the Magi

"Such a staff with its ever-present glow and incredibly-complex runes writ into its awe-inspiring solid oak haft is only carried by true wizards or sorcerers as no others can wield one. A Staff of the Magi is more than a powerful symbol of arcane might; it is the very embodiment of mortal magic with creative and destructive powers of ancient legend. If the tales told are true, there should no longer any wonder why there are nearly a dozen dead ogres and a Formorian corpse lying here - for a Master Sorcerer is among you, perhaps an Archmage himself."

"Nivirea's schoolings has taught her of many heroic arcanists of your time and Shalin was one of these for far longer than any of Nivirea's own family has been alive. There was a time when Shalin Riversbane could speak, but according to legend, long years ago, in the Frozen Reaches, Riversbane along with his party of mighty adventurers opposed the "Maiden of Pain" whom you know as the evil goddess, Loviatar, when she attempted to create a permanent dimensional bridge from her native plane into Sharseya that she may bring her armies to invade the Frozen Reaches. After an epic battle of cosmic proportions, Loviatar had nearly won the day when Shalin discovered both the means and the method to destroy the very bridge she had nearly wrought into existence. Some say at the cost of his own beloved party, Shalin destroyed the bridge and ended Loviatar's attempt to conquer the Frozen Reaches. Cast out, Loviatar was forced back into her native realm, but not before she cast her own hellish curse upon him. He has not spoken since."

Last edited:

[COLOR= rgb(152, 157, 160)]Nivirea regarded Melshaef and Powerpaw with a quiet curiousness, clearly dying to unleash the obviously implied questions but forcing herself to stay on topic. She fixed the elven mage with a knowing eye and shook her head at the druidess.[/COLOR] "Thank you, but the need is not mine. It's for someone else. Someone at the far end of that tunnel." she said with a gesture. "A friend of yours, in all likeliness. A woman in ranger garb, from Highwind, carries around a tree with your name on it. Sound familiar?"

Luna looks at her companions. "It would be remiss of us not to offer up aid when we can." She then looks at the opening in the earth with distrust. "I hope that there is a better way to get to your firends besides crawling through a tunnel. Our feline friends are probably too large to fit."

Melshaef's slitted red eyes grew wide and her ears and whiskers lifted high at Nivirea's words. "What?! More than familiar... However, I have learned to ask before acting, especially when our leader knows so much more of this land than we." Once again, she and Powerpaw turned toward Bren before they took any action.

"Our feline friends are probably too large to fit."

"Not so, Wizardess," said Melshaef. "Take a closer look. Something our size can fit quite nicely if we are careful about it."

(DM note in spoiler)
Sherwood, I don't know if you've been following Nivirea's story, but a large-sized creature has already traveled down there and is currently with the aforementioned ranger. If you want, in the future, ask me in OOC and I'll gladly provide answers to questions like, "How large is the hole?" =)

Sparkle watched all this through the perspective of her species. As she did, Otiorin felt her presence in his mind. Luna knew that this was taking place too, for Sparkle wanted her to be involved. Well, kin-of-Charmsring? What have you learned from examining this not-Redcap? Sparkle's tone seemed to indicate that she was expecting something from Otiorin.

Last edited:
Bren Sarabina

(-2 to attack rolls)

Turning to face the woman, she offers up a polite bow. "Greetings, neighbor. I an Luna Callen, and these are my companions. We are an adventuring party, and have recently come across this massacre, and the mage that did it. Would you please do us the honor of giving us your name, and how you came to be hiding in such a hole?"

Bren frowned at this introduction of the group.  Was Luna trying to take over the party again?

"My name is Nivirea. It is a genuine pleasure to meet you, Luna Callen. I hope your companions are possessed of such manners beneath their peculiar exteriors." She gave another look-over to the rest of the party, more curious than before. A previously overshadowed intelligence was now able to shine prominently in those dark green eyes of hers. She still held herself highly, but didn't seem to condemn anyone anymore.

Suddenly she froze, as if remembering something important. "Or in place of manners, could you produce a healer by any chance?" she asked, her eyes settling on Luna first, then Bren, and finally Melshaef. She looked worried.

Some of the tension left the big man's posture as Nivirea's attitude shifted.  Wariness was all well and good, particularly out here in the wilderness (Bren still maintained his own wariness toward this chance-met stranger), but what his mother sometimes termed "uppityness" had no place in this sort of encounter, particularly in one faced with a group of experienced adventurers of unknown rank and identity.  He offered the young woman a shallow bow; one knowledgeable in this sort of courtesy would realize by its inherent grace that it was the result of early teaching in a noble house.  "I am Brendoran Sarabina, leader of these, the Wayfaring Wanderers.  As for a healer..."  He turned towards the others, but was forestalled by their own comments and questions.

"Hay, Bren!"  He waved at the muscular human warrior.  "C'mere an' see da hole, boss!"

Bren nodded distractedly.  "In a moment."

"I am..." she paused in thought, then continued, "...called Melshaef.

He glanced at her, noting the choice of names in this introduction, and marked it in his mind to avoid later slips of the tongue.

"Not so, Wizardess," said Melshaef.  "Take a closer look.  Something our size can fit quite nicely if we are careful about it."

Bren smiled.  "I think perhaps Luna is no fonder of dirt than Miss Nivirea.  Tunnels always look smaller when one is concerned about avoiding the sides."  He inspected the hole, as had been requested now by both mother and son.  "How far is this 'far end' of yours, Miss Nivirea?  We have other companions awaiting our return, and should rejoin them soon.  This is no safe place to linger, as doubtless you are aware.  On the other hand, it seems Druidess Melshaef is involved in this business of yours, and we are bound by friendship and honor to aid her as we can."  He looked to the female Felane and nodded in response to her silent inquiries.  He had every intention of acceding to the stranger's request, particularly when it was so clearly seconded by the druidess, but he'd be a fool to do so blindly, and well he knew it.

Spells available: Daze, Detect Magic, Ghost Sounds, Open/Close, Ray of Frost, Read Magic, Gravity Bow, Shield, Summon Monster 1, Mage Armor, Ice Slick

Otiorin hadn't needed Sparkle's mention of his draconic heritage to know what to do next. He watched this newcomer, this Nivirea, and his eyes shifted subtly. From warm brown eyes with circular irises, they changed to cold icy-silver orbs bisected by a vertical iris. He watched her with his dragon's sight, silently appraising her as she spoke with the rest of the Wanderers. He would know what manner of person would be traveling so lightly through an area as dangerous as Shandra's Evergreen had become.

[COLOR= rgb(152, 157, 160)]Melshaef's astonishment momentarily drew a smug smile onto Nivirea's face. [/COLOR]"The tunnel is not very long and the time it takes to travel its length is dismissible." the girl explained, then assumed a ready-when-you-are position over the hole. From the look on her face, you'd think she was about to dive into a pool of toxic slime. "As much as I loathe going down there again, I'd better lead the way. Otherwise you might get eaten, and I don't want cat-folk blood on my hands."

She grinned playfully. "Shall we?"

KA-POWWW!!

Powerpaw and Melshaef looked up into the sky. They seemed to be searching for thunderclouds but there were none.

"What wuz dat?!" Powerpaw jumped in surprise.

"Only the gods know,"
Melshaef replied as she peeked her head down into the hole. To Nivirea, she said, "There is danger down there? If that is the case, let me try another method, shall we? After all, I would feel quite the fool having to stand before Bastet and Mielikki in the afterlife having been eaten by some animal in my own forest..."

Melshaef closed her mouth and inhaled through her nose. A purely feline sound emerged from between her lips. "Meeeeeeoowww....?"

She listened, but was only silence. She tried again. "Meeeeeerrrroowww....?"

"Awoooooooo!" came a weak but heartfelt reply. It was a wolfish howl and it sounded like it came from wolfish lungs, that is unless one had particularly good hearing and knew what to listen for. Melshaef quickly realized that the sound did not come from a wolf with four legs, but one with two legs.

"Little Cub!" Melshaef stood and whirled to Bren.

Bren had heard that name before.

"Bren, that's Cub down there! It is she that is hurt! May I have your permission?" Mistletoe in paw and feline eyes gleaming with resolve, Melshaef looked quite ready to make her way into the tunnel.

Last edited:
Bren Sarabina

(-2 to attack rolls)

Bren's gaze also snapped to the heavens at the unexpected sound.  "Perhaps it is Thor, smiting some foul foe?"  As the sound wasn't repeated, and nothing seemed to be offering imminent danger, he shrugged it off for more immediate affairs.

He nodded to Melshaef.  "Of course, lady druidess, but not alone!  Particularly if there is something waiting to ... eat us, you said, Miss Nivirea?"  He looks inquiringly at the young sorceress.  "Shall we all go, or are you merely worried about mistaken identities?"

Luna looks at the assorted people and says, "I would hate to split the party up, especially with such well armed monsters about. Let's all stay together."

Nivirea let out a defeated sigh when Bren reinforced the concern of someone being eaten. "There isn't, apparently. But all the better. I would much rather stay topside anyway." Her mood improved immediately, though she still looked unsatisfied over the damage done to her outfit. "It's just Little Cub and her pet down there." she said to Melshaef.

(Spoiler contains some favorite mood music of mine.)
"L'enfant" by Vangelis - I love this song for its beauty and innocence. During the course of the song, I feel a sense of discovery, like a child learning something new. Perhaps that's why I feel it fitting for this scene. =)

(Spoiler contains location, time, and weather)
Location: Off the Road of Kings, somewhere in Southern Shandra's Evergreen (9 days south of Highwind)
Travel time to Highwind: On day 5 of 14.
Sunday, September 21st, 1118. Time: 12:00 p.m.
Weather: Sunny and slightly breezy.

Otiorin hadn't needed Sparkle's mention of his draconic heritage to know what to do next. He watched this newcomer, this Nivirea, and his eyes shifted subtly. From warm brown eyes with circular irises, they changed to cold icy-silver orbs bisected by a vertical iris. He watched her with his dragon's sight, silently appraising her as she spoke with the rest of the Wanderers. He would know what manner of person would be traveling so lightly through an area as dangerous as Shandra's Evergreen had become.

Otiorin felt Sparkle leave his mind but not before he sensed a smug sense of satisfaction in the old dragoness having had her say. This was not so much that she enjoyed telling Otiorin what to do; she didn't. Instead, it was her desire for Otiorin to learn and use his draconic gifts as naturally as she. Besides, dragons were a people greatly-inclined to speak their minds whether their opinions were needed or not. They were dragons after all!

Otiorin also sensed another sense of satisfaction from Sparkle before she left him his privacy; perhaps from him, she sensed the lack of need of her to tell him to practice his Charmsring-given gifts in this moment. This pleased her, though she was not yet at the point where she would tell the half-elf.

So she watched from the comfort of Luna's shoulders as Otiorin called upon his bloodline.

It told him much.

In the first few seconds of Otiorin's observation, it definitely seemed to him that Nivirea was something other than human, something more than human. The longer he looked, the more Nivirea's beauteous features seemed to grow. Her hair, while dark, seemed to be many shades of darkness like how colors drift into differing shades of black when one turns out the light before sleeping. The energy of Nivirea's woodland colors were like the forest at night; soft, mysterious, perhaps dangerous, yet altogether charming. There was also a golden lining about her being, exactly the color of a gold coin and every bit as shining and easy to gaze upon as one newly-minted.

As Otiorin's dragon-sight adjusted to its fullest, Otiorin then saw all that the ability could provide him - bright sparks of every color energetically danced about the woman, each spark seeming to possess a lively life of its own. Indeed, this chaotic light-show was as splendid as it was beautiful, all in the supremely natural and truly magical way of the fae. Nivirea's supernatural features were, in a sense, similar to Otiorin's own in that they weaved through her very being and made her what she was. This was a woman unchained.

There were small characteristics and mannerisms that Nivirea seemed to share with the Daughters of Summertime - a great and perhaps subconscious love of self-expression, a terrific sense of magical ability cementing the notion that this woman was most certainly a spellcaster and a charismatic one at that; even Nivirea's voice seemed to dance along to the ear making it all the sweeter to hear.

However, unlike Otiorin and Luna, there was no sense of any shining, heavenly goodness that radiated from, say, Bria, when Otiorin had first used his gift upon the Ko healer. Nor was there any feeling of the horrible and all-consuming abyss that people called evil. Nivirea's appearance to Otiorin seemed to dance somewhere in between, willfully not steering toward lightness nor blackness - as if by choice. There was a love of and holding to the chaotic that, at least to Otiorin's eyes, seemed to be greater than Luna or even Otiorin's own.

There was so much information literally dancing before Otiorin's eyes that he knew he was missing some elements that would take long practice for him to divine. It was this expertise, it seemed, that Sparkle wished for the half-elf to someday gain.

(Spoiler contains roughly what Otiorin sees.)
(Wolf, of course, is entitled to put in a better picture if he has the desire - I just want to provide a worthy image of some sort and this is the very best I had.)
Oracle3 - Fred Fields.jpg
(Image credit: Fred Fields - a fantastic artist who for about 10 years drew for TSR [Dungeons and Dragons], among others.)

And now? Sparkle's voice casually returned inside Otiorin's mind, still sounding pleased. What have your male, half-elven, roguish eyes detected that perhaps mine did not? For I am none of these.

While this was going on, Powerpaw looked Otoirin's way. Noting the serpentine look of the half-elf's eyes, the hackles on Powerpaw's white and black fur suddenly and immediately rose. His tail stiffened, his whiskers flared, and his claws unsheathed as he bared his fangs. Just as instantly, there came a hate-filled, tigerish roar. He snapped his large teeth at Otoirin - all as if out of sheer instinct, as if he were not entirely aware of what he was doing.

"Son!" Melshaef chided.

"Whoops!" The large, furry warrior quickly calmed and bowed in apology, his claws retracting and his posture becoming altogether non-threatening. He pawed about, embarrassed. "Sowwy, Mom! Sowwy, Oti-face! Just caughted me off-guards. Whenever I sees eyes like dat, dey make me tink of..." he trailed off as if not wanting to say. He gulped and looked at Sparkle who seemed to take no offense whatsoever.

Melshaef patted him on his shoulder. "Aye, I too feel a chill when I see it. It is the way Brave Bastet made us. Just try to get used to it? His god, Corellon, has his own way of making his people. We must respect their ways, however different."

"Yeah, you'se right, Mom. Tanks..."

"My wisdom is yours, my son."

Nivirea let out a defeated sigh when Bren reinforced the concern of someone being eaten. "There isn't, apparently. But all the better. I would much rather stay topside anyway." Her mood improved immediately, though she still looked unsatisfied over the damage done to her outfit. "It's just Little Cub and her pet down there." she said to Melshaef.

Hearing that, Melshaef looked back to Bren with an eager and worried expression that seemed to say, "Oh! Did you hear that?" Wordlessly, she looked at her leader again, repeating her earlier request to enter the cave through body language.

Last edited:
Bren Sarabina

(-2 to attack rolls)

Just as instantly, there came a hate-filled, tigerish roar.  He snapped his large teeth at Otoirin - all as if out of sheer instinct, as if he were not entirely aware of what he was doing.

Bren spun around, startled, his own instincts moving him in between Powerpaw and Otiorin, shield half-raised in defense of the latter.  Half raised, because before he'd finished the action, both he and Powerpaw had realized what was really happening.  He shook his head, "standing down" from his defensive posture and looking back and forth between felane and half-elf.  "Please do try, furry friend.  You'll take years off all our lives if you keep frightening us that way every time Otiorin calls on his heritage!  Besides, not all dragons are enemies, on this side of the world at least."

Hearing that, Melshaef looked back to Bren with an eager and worried expression that seemed to say, "Oh!  Did you hear that?"  Wordlessly, she looked at her leader again, repeating her earlier request to enter the cave through body language.

He nods once more.  "Then let's be about it.  Luna, I don't like dividing the party any more than you, but Lady Melshaef's friend sounds close enough I'm not sure we'd all fit anyway!  Perhaps you caster-types can compare notes while I escort our druidess to her friend, and the both -- the three -- of them back up and out to rejoin us once all are fit to move.  We'll be in hearing distance, and Powerpaw can stand in the entrance and keep an eye on us to maintain line of sight."

With a dubious nod,  Luna agrees. "Very well. Just please hurry. While my magic is quite potent, I am not in the same level as our silent friend here. I would not wish to test my powers against more of these ogres without the rest of you to help." She looks around for a comfortable place to sit, and then says to her fellow spellcaster, Nivirea. "So! What kind of magic do you study? Personally, I am a wizard of the evoker school."

Otiorin marveled at the information that appeared before his eyes as he regarded the newcomer. Such interesting magical abilities, he thought to himself as he watching the scintillating lights surrounding her change and shift with her every movement and word. She maintained a mental outlook of change for it's own sake, not for the needs of good or evil, but for itself. Her magic was born from this chaotic nature, much like his own but, unlike him, she had devoted herself completely to her magical nature, whereas he had a foot squarely in the arts and crafts of thievery.

An interesting new encounter, auntie. I hope to learn more about-

He was cut off as he detected sudden movement and felt an overwhelming sense of danger rapidly approaching. His eyes shifted back to their natural state and he beheld Powerpaw's headlong rush and Bren's intercession.

"My apologies, friends, I was only practicing the arts of my familial heritage. I forget that such serpentine semblances are disturbing to you.", he said with an apologetic bow to Powerpaw and Saberfang.

As the others decided about who would remain and who would descend, Otiorin made his choice, "I shall remain above ground where my eyes and ears would be best employed seeking out threats."

This was only a half-truth, as he too was interested in learning more about Nivirea.

"Oh a little bit of this, a little bit of that. I like to be prepared for anything." was Nivirea's answer to Luna's question. She sat down on the ground with her knees together close to the other girl. "A wizard of the evocation school traveling alongside the famed Shalin of the Broken River? Why so hesitant? I doubt a few ogres more could succeed where this bunch failed." she looked around the field. "You must be quite the destructive force." the girl smiled seductively.

"And what of your team?" she asked, giving everyone present another quick look-over, though her eyes lingered the longest on Otiorin. "They seem rather promising, all in all."

Luna looks at Nivirea and shakes her head. "We have not had the honor of traveling with Shalin for long; in fact we just meet him not long before we encountered you. I am not anywhere near the same level of skill as the Silent Mage, but I am improving." She watches as her companions that are heading into the tunnel split off and head in. "Yes, I do have an interesting group of friends, all of which are dear friends. I am thankful to know them all."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back