• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Four: High Stakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mario can't help it; he just has to say something. "So I guessing that wall was talking smack, too? Good thing you taught it a lesson." He gives a grin to show he's just poking a little fun.

"BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT!" sounded Elinor's GU-11 and "WHHHAAAMM!" cried the blasted superstructure steel of the floor and wall. Indeed, Bruce Leanne had aced her cannon-fire all the way up to the very smoking spot Mario had just nailed, completely missing her intended target, the big blue forcefield.

The forcefield was thin, its sapphire lights buckling, but still it held. A split-second later, it got a little brighter and stronger...

But as Elinor and the rest of the Wild Cards and company surveyed this embarrassing display of T.A.S.C.-provided Valkyrie gunnery, a little ditty popped into Elinor's head, a special something and running joke her daddy liked to sing back on the farm at anyone in the Hall family that had just goofed up, himself included. Especially if it was embarrassing. He would sing the chorus to this oldie for all to hear. It was Daddy Hall's kind-hearted and sarcastically teasing way of reminding everyone of his kin that no one was perfect; you were going to put your foot in it sometimes and that it was all right to laugh about it. Besides, he often said, no Hall should ever be too big for their britches.

"Oh Lord, It's Hard to be Humble" by Mac Davis. =)

Shirley shook her head and grinned again. "I'm thinking maybe this bulkhead wall should'a kept its mouth shut..."

But as the Wild Cards looked around at each other, a more serious realization began to sink in. Another enemy had begun to put its heavy cloak around each of you, this enemy of every solider in every battle in every war - fatigue.

A glance down at the HUD clock told you the time. 2238 hours (10:18 p.m.)! Where had the time gone? You had been at it since before dawn and now it was after dusk. As the clock on "Fat Man" and "Little Boy" continued to ominously tick down, it became clear that fatigue's own clock had a timer all to itself. It would be good not to overdo it.

"We need to hit that barrier harder or we won't get through it. Mario, use that big cannon of yours while the rest of us lay into it with our own weapons. The only other option is to try and Traverse the door to get it to open. Either way, those timers are running down fast." Toph raises up her arm pulse laser and gives another shot at the shield.
Currently in Battloid mode

Toph's/Muppet's Ajax munitions:
2/15 Mini Fragmentation 5d6 MDC
8/15 Plasma/Heat 1d6x10 MDC
and 30/30 HEAP 1d4x10 MDC

Muppet's Ajax (240/400 M.D.C.)

Last edited:
Elinor just shook her head and shrugged, but those looking at her face instead of the wall could clearly see her disappointment in her targeting. "My daddy had a song he used to sing in times like these. Anyhow, Toph's right, we ain't got much time left and it's a-wasting." Purposefully, she raised her GU-11's barrel towards the barrier and let fly another burst. "Fox five," she said, and as the rounds flew out, she let fly a bit of her daddy's song, too.

Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble
When you're perfect in every way
I can't wait to look in the mirror
Cause I get better-looking each day
To know me is to love me
I must be a hell of a man
Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble,
But I'm doing the best that I can​

Elinor's voice isn't near as good as Shirley's, but she keeps on pitch well enough and the point is the words, anyway.

Mario lets out a good natured chuckle as Elinor sings her song. "A good lesson for all of us. But that timer is still counting down, so lets drop that shield! Sabot round on the way." True to his word, Mario toggles the switch for another APFSDS round and fires at the shimmering blue shield.
APFSDS x 30/27 rounds (Range: 4 miles. 3D6x10 M.D.)
HEAT x 6/6 rounds (Range: 2.2 miles. 2D6x10 M.D.)
MPAT x 6/6 rounds (Range: 2.2 miles. 2D6x10 M.D. to a 50 foot radius)
Plasma x 6/6 rounds (Range: 1.5 miles. 2D8x10 M.D. to a 25 foot radius and an additional 4D8 M.D. per minute for 1D6+1 minutes

Main Body: 475
Left Shield: 500
Right Shield: 500
Currently in Guardian mode

Toph gets a grumpy look on her face as she misses her target. "Good shot, Mario! Let me try again, too."

(GM note for all.)
Heya gang! For the sake of the story, I am going to do a little change-up. As Mario's VHT cannon is enough to bring the forcefield down, I am going to have Toph's ion cannon shot fulfill another purpose. See below.

Also, I'm in the middle of recovering from a migraine, so my pardon if I mess up this post somehow. If I do, please point it out to me. =)

"Dementia" by Steve Stevens (Billy Idol's lead guitarist for the past 30-odd years). This song just takes me away, especially the second half. =)

BOOOM!!

While the twin clocks on "Fat Man" and "Little Boy" ticked away on the seat now behind him, Mario's Veritech Hover Tank, the mechanized pride of the Alpha Tactical Armored Corps, fired out a third deafening shot from her main cannon. The 105mm sabot round flew unerringly to the center of the forcefield and the resulting explosion caused the great sapphire barrier to shake violently, then collapse and disappear into a great cloud of soft vapor.

As it did, Toph noticed a strange computer device at the base of the forcefield, now noticeable since the barrier was down. Great blue orbs of fantastic light seemed to burst and shine in an attempt to come to life again. The half-Meltrandi T.A.S.C. pilot knew this to be the alternators Cera had warned of. If allowed, this series of systems would allow the forcefield to call upon the Zeki-Zentraedi Assault Scout's formidable energies to completely regenerate the shield as if the Wild Cards had never fired upon it.

Without hesitation, both Toph and Mack's guns raised. Toph proved to be the faster. With a bright flash, her pinpoint-accurate AJAX cannon reduced the alternators to a sparking, smoking pile of ionized slag.

"Sweet shooting, Wild Cards!" Mack grinned. "Now let's see what's behind door number one here."

As the vapor and smoke began to clear, the Wild Cards now beheld the shrouded giant behind the forcefield...

"What the..." Mack gaped.

Imagine a Robotech Defense Force Tomahawk destroid in pristine condition...
Tomahawk 1280 x 1444 at Pinterest.jpg
(Image credit: Pinterest )

...fully enhanced with giant back-mounted thrusters and leg-mounted boosters complete with missile racks similar to the way a Valkyrie is buffed up into the Armored Veritech seen here:
vf-1j-gbp-lineart1.gif
(Image credit: Macross2.net )

Down the legs and upper arms are written the words in red, sleek, sporty, letters - "MBR-04-Mk. X - SUPER TOMAHAWK."

Gang, it should be noted that such markings are considered "unmilitary". No RDF or ASC mecha have personalized lettering of this great size and styling. Even Shirley's Red Baroness, though candy apple red, lacks lettering like this.

Upon seeing the forcefield brought down and the shrouded giant revealed, SpaceMan Sam and MechaKitten both jumped up and down with great excitement; Sam with his hands held high in victory and MechaKitten hopping about excitedly like cheery kittens so often do. Sam turned to the Wild Cards with a pair of thumbs-up. Then, holding on to his feline companion, he turned and ran as fast as he could toward the towering, age-old destroid.

Except that the destroid seemed as new as if it were made yesterday...

Mario takes a moment to wonder about the pristine 'Super' Tomahawk, but the thought of the slowly ticking timers behind him keep his attention. He sends out the thought to the group, "Check my idea here, guys. We are really close to the Aerospace Fighter bay now. If we plant one of the nukes here, we can then move on to a different location with the second one to cause as much damage as possible before we jump ship out of here. Thoughts on that? Mack? Should I deploy one of the bombs here?" Speaking of here, is there a place to hide it? Under some rubble, or in an air duct?

Toph nods. "That sounds workable to me. We'll just have to find a safe place to put the bomb, then move out ASAP to find another location for the second one."

"What is that?" Mack asked in awe as she gazed upon the Super Tomahawk.

Cera's reply sounded with reflection, satisfaction, and a touch of pride. "That... is how things ought to be..."

* * *​

79ebf62f0df9dacddc242bf968df0d28.jpg
(Image credit: Pinterest)

Mack was taken aback at the very idea of anyone asking her where to plant miniature nuclear bombs. Then she remembered - General Steele put her in charge of all this...

*tunk* *tunk* *tunk*

Iris heard the dull sound that originated from Shirley's cockpit. She asked. Queries: Leader Mack? Are you in health? What are those sounds?

"Oh, just the sound of me bouncing my helmeted head off the console for being put in this situation, that's all..."

Shirley pondered aloud through the polyphonic nexus. "To be straight up with you, I haven't the slightest idea. That kinda science is way above my head." She shifted in her seat. "Muppet? You seem to be N.B.C.-trained here. What do you think?"

N.B.C. = Nuclear, Biological, Chemical.

As Mario looked around the giant room for a decent spot to plant one of the bombs, he found himself at a loss. There seemed to be too many places for a race of 40-foot tall giants to find such a bomb, despite its size.

Not so for Toph. She remembered a saying. "No one ever looks up." Only pilots, meteorologists, and astronomers ever seemed to look up on a regular basis. Everyone else on two legs (native or foreign to Earth) hardly ever did in the grand scheme of things. One glance up and she had it. One of the bombs would fit ever-so-neatly inside the curves of one of the great lamps embedded in the ceiling.

What do the Wild Cards do?

Toph holds her mecha's hand out to Mario. "Corporal, unstrap one of the bombs so I can reach down with my Ajax and pick it up, and I'll deposit it up there. Out of sight, out of mind. No one should think to look for such a 'small' device until it is far too late." She feels bad for Mack and the pressures of command. It reminds her of the first time she was operating on a real live person and not just some carefully made simulation. Having someone's life in your hands is the scariest thing possible, and just as bad is the burden of being in charge and having to make that one critical call that could spell the end for not just us, but the thousands of people on the base. "Mack, take it easy. You've gotten us this far, and we are a team that works together, each one of us bringing out our own unique strengths to help out the team. Don't let the pressure get to you. Lean on us; its what we're here for."

Toph approaches the hover tank and stands by for Mario to hop over the seat to release one of the warheads from its restraints before she carefully reaches down to pick up the bomb. With the bomb now in hand, she'll kick in her jets to lift her up to the hidey hole that she spotted earlier and sets it down with all the care she can muster. "There. First package delivered. Lets make some tracks and drop off this second one as far away from here as we can before time runs out. Speaking of time, how much do we have left?"

Mario quickly nods. "Yes, ma'am! Moving!" With that, he jumps over to the rear seat of his tank and picks one of the nukes at random to unstrap. He leans back as the large mecha hand comes down to grab the weapon. He warns Toph, "Be careful with that, lieutenant! We don't want it to malfunction."

With the nuke lifted out of his tank, he quickly checks on the status of the second weapon.
Plasma x 6/6 rounds (Range: 1.5 miles. 2D8x10 M.D. to a 25 foot radius and an additional 4D8 M.D. per minute for 1D6+1 minutes

Currently in Guardian mode

Toph securely stowed "Fat Man" in the light fixture leaving only "Little Boy" without a home. The second device greeted Mario with the numbers 24:46. Second by second, those numbers declined as if no force in the universe could stop them.

Meanwhile, the walls, floor, and ceiling continued to gently rumble. Odd hums and mechanical sounds continued to be heard throughout the vessel reminding those inside that the Zeki-Zentraedi starship was indeed active. On the monitors, red and yellow lights flashed with strange glyphs and sigils only few in the Wild Cards' company could decipher.

"Mack, take it easy. You've gotten us this far, and we are a team that works together, each one of us bringing out our own unique strengths to help out the team. Don't let the pressure get to you. Lean on us; its what we're here for."

"Well, let's just say that that the burden is heavier when your realm of responsibility goes from one squadron to an entire base. Thanks for the vote of confidence, Toph. This whole day has been one heck of a roller coaster."

Shirley looked back the way they had come. "O.K. people. We plant the second bomb in the aerospace hangar. We have to head back that way anyway, plus its the only semi-secure area we have any familiarity with. That improves our odds of also getting the heck out of here in one piece. Mario, you and that new tank there are on point."

Toop! A long thin line flew through the air. Spaceman Sam launched his magnetically-tipped cable from his forearm housing. Its attacher, a hockey puck-sized base, struck and sealed itself against the Super Tomahawk's cockpit. With a gentle whirring sound, Spaceman Sam reeled himself up with MechaKitten clinging tightly to his shoulder. As their feet lifted off of the deck, Sam looked up while the cybernetic kitten looked down. Together they rose up the side of the giant mecha until they reached the cockpit.

With what appeared to be a great sense of motivation, Spaceman Sam found the outer cockpit controls. Here, he input a code. Instantly, the machine obeyed. With a hissing sound, the mecha's canopy slid forward allowing him entry. He wasted no time entering.

As the canopy slid shut, the sounds of the Super Tomahawk coming to life filled the room. Just as the sounds of Mario's VHT starting up gave a reassuring sound of one more machine joining your group, it was so with the destroid. Its strange array of thrusters, like an ultra-modern backpack fitted with matching leg attachments, warmed to life. Its arm-mounted particle cannons swiveled slowly this way and that as Spaceman Sam went through the motions of mecha pre-check.

Then the great machine lumbered forward, one step at a time, as the Wild Cards gained another ally into its mecha squadron.

Iris's feelers twitched as she regarded the scene with luminous green alien eyes. She looked back and forth from the Veritech Hover Tank to the Super Tomahawk. Her mental voice sounded excited. Observation: Pleasure! This One is pleased these fighting carapaces are on our side...

"Lead the way, Mario!" Shirley ordered.

As Mario jumps back into his seat and straps in, he shares, "We're down to just under twenty five minutes of time on the explosion. Going to Battloid mode." With a flick of the wrist, he makes the hover tank make the needed shift in configuration, now in its humanoid form hefting the lightweight Eu-11 rifle.

Taking point, he accelerates up to his top speed of 70mph, heading down the corridor towards the Aerospace Fighter bay, then he remembers that the Tomahawk is not as fast as his VHT, and he throttles back to let Sam keep pace with him. Once he sees the Super Tomahawk get up to speed, he works the controls to stay out in front, trusting in his heavy armor to be able to take any hits he might get. While he is not expecting to run into any Zentraedi on the way back, Mario's mama didn't raise any stupid kids, so he's keeping up his guard, watching carefully for any signs of the enemy.

Mario got a surprise.

As Mario's VHT ran faster and faster down the corridor, he noticed each of the veritechs behind him traveling to keep up. This they did with relative ease. Behind them all was the Super Tomahawk.

FROOOOM!!

Suddenly, there was an enormous roar as the destroid's engine throttled up. A chorus of thrusters on the legs and the back of the heavily-modified destroid responded. Every thruster lit and fired. The noise was incredible.

Shirley turned to look. Then Cera. Then Iris. They each made sounds of exclaimation in their own way.

Those that watched saw the impossible. The Super Tomahawk lifted slowly but surely off the starship's floor. The entire machine rose about five or six feet and stayed up there, hovering. Huge nozzles on the back of the mech eased it forward. The legs of the behemoth bent and the whole destroid hugged itself a bit, keeping its limbs as close as possible. It was almost like watching an Olympic skier flying down a snowy slalom, arms against sides, knees low.

The next thing Mario knew, he had a shiny Super Tomahawk chasing his team down the hallway!

The first gigantic corner, being meant for Zeki-Zentraedi, was easily large enough to maneuver around, but Spaceman Sam took the turn too wide and banged the mecha slightly on the outside wall. But as the corridor straightened on its way back to the aerospace hangar, it kept up with Mario's Veritech Hover Tank, "hover-skating" along at 70 miles per hour.

From the back of Elinor's Valkyrie, Cera grinned again and repeated. "This is as things ought to be." She glanced at the VHT. She sighed and wondered. If only she had the means...

The Wild Cards would reach the Gnerl Aerospace Bay shortly.

Toph lets out a laugh as Spaceman Sam's Tomahawk rises up from the deck. "Well, that answers a part of the question of, just what makes that a 'Super' Tomahawk? It also keeps us from having to try and carry the damn thing down from the Aerospace Fighter bay to the ground. All we have to do is worry about Mario's hover tank, assuming that we even bother trying to recover it. It will be difficult to get his mecha down from the ship to the ground. If worse comes to worse, we can always abandon it and have Mario ride down inside the cockpit of one of our Veritechs."

Number of Attacks: 7
Strike: +12
Parry: +13
Dodge: +14/+18 to Auto Dodge While Flying
Roll: +7
Initiative: +4
Action Points: 7

Last edited:
Mario smiles as he sees in his rear view monitor the flying Super Tomahawk. "That's one way of getting around! I like it! But I'm still a fan of my VHT, assuming that I can get this one to the ground in one piece. Either way, I want to put my head together with our Ms. Cera to see what kind of ideas we can come up with to enhance and upgrade the capabilities of the hover tank. You seem to have plenty of thoughts as to what makes a combat-capable mecha."

In the Hover Tank
Number of Attacks: 8
Strike: +10 / +12 with the EU-11
Parry: +16
Dodge: +15 / +17 in Transport Mode from Combat Driving
Roll With Punch: +6
Disarm: +3
Pull Punch: +4
Initiative: +3
Action Points: 7 (2)

Last edited:
Elinor's eyes went wide as the blasted blast field vanished to reveal the Super-Tomahawk. Ground-pounder it may have been, but so different (and yet so like) the ones she was used to that she almost wanted to hop in the cockpit herself, just to see what it could do. The squad had other things to be doing, though, and there wasn't time to waste in experimental flying -- plus it seemed Sam not only knew what it was but how to drive it just fine. Good thing he'd already joined their radio channel; probably he knew how to do that with the destroid too, so they'd all stay in communication. Something about that thought bugged Elinor, but she couldn't lay a finger on it, so she just let it simmer as the squad dashed down the hall. Cera's words called her attention to the Meltrandi's image on her screen, which then had Elinor looking back to see what Cera was looking at. The farmgirl whistled. "Whoa! How'd they get it to do that?" She looked at Cera again when the other girl sighed. It sounded more wistful than envious, somehow, like when Elinor's little brother talked about going to college. Elinor tried sending a private thought, just to Cera, so as not to distract the others from the mission at hand. "Cera, d'you know how to make things 'how they should be,' like that? I met some people earlier today who might be interested." To say nothing of myself, Elinor thought. If they could do that to a destroid, what could they do for her Valkyrie? And Cera she trusted to fiddle with it, unlike those Poké-egg-heads from yesterday.

Fiddle. Heads. That thought simmering in the back burner of her mind suddenly pushed up to the front. They could talk to Sam over the radio, but he couldn't talk back, plus they were doing most of their communicating over the Nexus, not the radio. "Hey, Iris," she called over the Nexus. "Any chance you can get Sam, or at least Mechakitten, in on the Nexus so they can hear and respond?"

Last edited:
Either way, I want to put my head together with our Ms. Cera to see what kind of ideas we can come up with to enhance and upgrade the capabilities of the hover tank. You seem to have plenty of thoughts as to what makes a combat-capable mecha."

Cera watched the Super Tomhawk hover-skate six feet above the starship's deck. She watched it casually. "Mario," she sent. "Do... do you have access to a... mecha factory? I have the knowledge and skills to attempt modifications. I but lack the means."

"Cera, d'you know how to make things 'how they should be,' like that? I met some people earlier today who might be interested."

Hall's statement drew Cera's curiosity. "By 'people,' I take it you mean, 'humans.'" Cera paused and considered, then she continued. "There is much I can and would do to the machines you pilot in return for bringing me closer to completion," she answered.

"While I am incomplete, I remain wary. The commander who sent you into this foray with your outdated mecha and total lack of technological upgrades must be a cruel person. If he could not invest you the benefits of modern technology, then I can only imagine he wanted your team to die. Perhaps you are secretly a decoy while another human force comes and gains the credit?" Then Cera remembered the nuclear bombs. "I cannot shake the feeling that there is a great deal I do not understand about our situation."

"Hey, Iris, she called over the Nexus. Any chance you can get Sam, or at least Mechakitten, in on the Nexus so they can hear and respond?"

As the Wild Cards traveled, Iris along with Shirley in her Red Baroness, hung back with the Super Tomahawk who was in the rear. The green-eyed scrath responded to Elinor with pleasure as one who enjoys serving others receives when in action. Elly Nor, This One is proud to inform you that success in this endeavor has been achieved! MechaKitten is already a part of this polyphonic nexus as War-queen Taniya commanded. It is Spaceman Sam who is... exempt. Or perhaps... Self-queries: 'Incapable?' Perhaps the word, 'ineligible' fits best? Self is uncertain.

As if to prove the point, MechaKitten mentally greeted Elinor with eagerness. "Meeew!" Elinor then felt the sensations of a happy kitten smiling at her. Sensations originating with MechaKitten.

The Wild Cards approached the Aerospace hangar bay. Very soon, they would re-enter it.

Okies. Time to kick things up a notch, gang! Remember that d20 roll I called for from Psychie recently? Here is the result of her roll. All other rolls, of course, I made behind the scenes.

"The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing (live)" by Joe Satriani

With the starship's hull humming ceaselessly under their feet, the Wild Cards made their way down the corridor back toward the still-burning aerospace hangar. Chemical fires lingered in the incredibly-large bay, their colored smoke twirling through the air like angry spirits. Wreckage, blast-blackened and giant-sized, stretched along the floor alongside twisted Zeki-Zentraedi corpses, many of them unwhole.

Mario had point. His EU-11 rifle "felt" light and steady from inside his battloid cockpit. His shields were ready. Just paces away came Toph in her Ajax veritech in battloid and behind her, Elinor, in her guardian-shaped Valkyrie. Behind them, Shirley slowed a bit as not to leave Spaceman Sam and MechaKitten. Iris was with them too.

Mario, Toph, and Elinor left the corridor. The aerospace hangar stretched out before them, the Gnerl fighters sat in their launching position, broken and wrecked. The first new thing the Wild Cards realized was the lightning was now different inside the bay. It was brighter. The reason soon came upon them - the massive doors leading outside to Florida and freedom were now shut! With those doors closed, there was no easy way out.

Then two things took place in sudden and rapid succession.

Just as Elinor passed from the corridor into the aerospace hangar, the blast door sealing off the bay came down from the ceiling and closed down on the floor. The Wild Cards were separated! Mario, Toph, Elinor, and Cera were in the aerospace bay. Shirley, Spaceman Sam, MechaKitten, and Iris were trapped in the corridor and sent screeching a halt lest they slam into the door.

"Crap! Heads up!" Shirley shouted over the polyphonic nexus.

As Mario and Elinor turned and noticed this, Toph kept her attention on the burning bay. It was a good thing she did. From among the wreckage, she noticed a Male Power Armor unit lying limply on the floor amongst the corpses. Toph noticed that while the machine was covered in debris, the alien mecha appeared whole and undamaged. Plus, she did not remember its presence there before. As if by coincidence, its shoulder-mounted particle cannon was aimed right at the corridor the Wild Cards had just used - and right at Toph's Ajax...

There was a blazing flare of light as the cannon came to life!

BUH-KOOM!!

There was no time for Toph to shout a warning or fire back - there was only time to do one thing - MOVE! And move she did! With a spectacular Jeet Kune Do side-step, Toph moved her Ajax just enough that the punishing blast of energy shot past her and Elinor to harmlessly strike the floor behind them.

"I missed? Impossible!" shouted the Male Power Armor pilot. His ambush failed, the many thrusters surrounding him hurled his mech into the air. "Micronian scum, you should be destroyed! And you will be, right after I warn the others!" With that, the Male Power Armor took off. Farther into the bay, some three hundred yards away, a great door lingered untouched.

The Zeki-Zentraedi pilot would reach it in moments...

Kaerri, Psychie, and Sherwood, roll Initiative in Fat Gandalf's! Because it's on, now! =)

Last edited:
Muppet can feel her heart pounding as she barely evades the ambush from the Male Powered Armor. "Damn! That was close! We have to stop that pilot before he can get away!" She locks on with her Ajax's targeting system, then squeezes off the trigger to launch a six pack of her HEAP missiles. "Chew on that, big guy!"

and 24/30 HEAP 1d4x10 MDC

Number of Attacks: 7
Strike: +12
Parry: +13
Dodge: +14/+18 to Auto Dodge While Flying
Roll: +7
Initiative: +4
Action Points: 7

Mario calls out, "Watch out! If he gets close enough to that door, it will probably open automatically, letting him get out to grab some reinforcements!"

In the Hover Tank
Number of Attacks: 8
Strike: +10 / +12 with the EU-11
Parry: +16
Dodge: +15 / +17 in Transport Mode from Combat Driving
Roll With Punch: +6
Disarm: +3
Pull Punch: +4
Initiative: +3
Action Points: 7 (2)

The Male Power Armor pilot, knowing full well he has stuck his hand into an angry nest of hornets by firing on the veritech, flees toward the door evasively. Toph selects her missile volley and sends the half-dozen warheads screaming down the hangar and at his back. As every good pilot knows, four or more such missiles cannot be dodged...

... but they can be fooled!

Without warning, a group of bright burning orange flares and clouds of chaff glittering like little stars leap from the hull of the alien mecha and dazzle the skies. Toph's volley flies...

I rolled an 87 on my green Zentraedi dice.

...and strikes true! BOOM! The sextet of missiles blasts away sending him flying end-over-end for a moment, but the pilot succeeds in righting himself and continues along, leaving a thick trail of black smoke in his wake.

It is Elinor's turn. What does she do?

From the backseat of Elinor's Valkyrie, Cera tried to be as out of the way as possible, shrinking into her chair, hands clutching at the restraints that kept her safely from bouncing all over the cockpit. Then she realized what was happening. She turned and saw the Zeki-Zentraedi power armor getting blasted by Toph's missiles. Then she saw the pilot right himself and fly on.

"Nousjadeul-Ger..." she murmured in recognition when she saw him with her naked eyes. Then a change instantly struck her.

"ZEKI-ZENTRAEDI! DIIIIEEEE!!"

Her rage-filled scream filled the cockpit. It was as if, somewhere deep in her less-than-day-old mind, some inner switch had been flipped. At that moment, somewhere in the universe, War-queen Taniya broke into a smile.

Before Cera knew it, she had both hands on the backseat controls of Elinor's Valkyrie, activating the weapons systems in readiness to blow him into the smallest pieces of dead Zentraedi possible. The deadly missiles hanging on Elinor's wings made themselves available to both Cera and Elinor as the contents of her hardpoints flashed upon their flashing HUDs. All the while, the wild-eyed Meltrandi auxiliary specialist seethed hatefully at her enemy. Elinor could see all of this with crystal clarity from her Valkyrie's cockpit camera.

Then she heard Toph and Mario over the polyphonic nexus.

"Damn! That was close! We have to stop that pilot before he can get away!"

"Watch out! If he gets close enough to that door, it will probably open automatically, letting him get out to grab some reinforcements!"

And then, another feeling inside the youthful Meltrandi set in, replacing her rage entirely. This second change took place as quickly as the first. Cera's fingers lifted from the buttons, her hands stopped moving, and she looked up.

With the utmost discipline, Elinor found Cera staring straight into the camera she knew was watching her. It was like she was staring Elinor in the eye. "Dentalla..." her tone was deadly calm as she said the word. Then she gasped sharply.

She shouted over the polyphonic nexus for all there to hear. "NO! Do not follow him! You fly into a trap within a trap!"

What does Elinor do?

If there is no post from Elinor soon, I will skip Elinor's action until her turn in the next round. Rawr! =)

Elinor's character sheet

In the Valkyrie:
Initiative: +4 = +1 JKD, +2 MECT, +1 Valkyrie
Number of Attacks: 6 (+4 JKD, +2 MECT)
Ranged Strike: +9 = +4 PP, +2 JKD, +2 Valkyrie, +1 Weapon Systems
Ranged Strike with GU-11 gun pod: +10 = +4 PP, +2 JKD, +2 Valkyrie, +1 Weapon Systems, +1 GU-11
Missiles will have their own Strike which is generally 4 = +3 missile, +1 Weapon Systems
Melee Strike: +10 = +4 PP, +2 JKD, +2 MECT, +2 Valkyrie
Parry: +12 = +4 PP, +3 JKD, +1 Athletics, +1 MECT, +3 Valkyrie
--Automatic Parry (Jeet Kune Do)
Dodge: +15 while flying = +4 PP, +3 JKD, +1 Athletics, +2 Combat Flying, + 2 MECT, +3 Valkyrie
--Automatic dodge while flying
Auto dodge while flying in fighter mode: +16 = +4 PP, +3 JKD, +1 Athletics, +2 Combat Flying, + 2 MECT, +4 Valkyrie
Roll with impact: +10 while flying = +1 Athletics, +2 Gymnastics, +3 Combat Flying, +1 MECT, +3 Valkyrie
Disarm: +1 = +4 PP, +1 MECT
Pull punch: +6 = +4 PP, +2 MECT

M.D.C. by Location (Yes, I know these are wrong. I haven't gone back to see what was damaged or how much, yet. Will do soon, but I wanted to get this post up!)
*Sensor Head – 120
Arms (2) – 150 each
Hands (2) – 60 each
Utility Arms (3 in right forearm) – 10 each
Legs (2) – 180 each
Feet/Vectored Thrust Nozzles (2) – 120 each
**Wings (2) – 180 each
***Vertical Stabilizers (2) – 90 each
Head Weapons (1A has 1, 1J has 2, 1R has 3, 1S has 4) – 60 each
GU-11 Gun Pod – 150
Wing Hardpoints (2 each) – 25 each
Reinforced Pilot’s Compartment – 175
****Main Body – 420

Valkyrie munitions:
- GU-11 Gun Pod (23/25 bursts)
- two sets (10/10 missiles total) of HEAP SRMs
- one set (5/5 missiles) of Fragmentation SRMs
- one set (15/15 mini-missiles) of HEAP minis

Hall's statement drew Cera's curiosity. "By 'people,' I take it you mean, 'humans.'" Cera paused and considered, then she continued. "There is much I can and would do to the machines you pilot in return for bringing me closer to completion," she answered.

"While I am incomplete, I remain wary. The commander who sent you into this foray with your outdated mecha and total lack of technological upgrades must be a cruel person. If he could not invest you the benefits of modern technology, then I can only imagine he wanted your team to die. Perhaps you are secretly a decoy while another human force comes and gains the credit?" Then Cera remembered the nuclear bombs. "I cannot shake the feeling that there is a great deal I do not understand about our situation."
Elinor could only shrug. "I don't know what the base commander's thinking," she replied, "but whatever it is, it's based on more intel than he's handing out, you're right about that. His name's General Steel, by the way. Can't say as I know him real well yet, but then I'm just a lieutenant. I should prob'ly let you form your own opinion -- but take my advice and don't speak it where he can hear. As a general and as a base commander, he's got a lot of power."

* * * * *​

Incoming firepower has a way of focusing you on the present, even if it isn't aimed at you in particular. Elinor was both surprised and relieved that Toph was somehow able to completely avoid it, but her own mind quickly began assessing the situation. Closed door behind them, with half the squad behind it; fleeing bad guy in front of them. That seemed to be the main points for now.

Oh, and screaming Meltrandi in Elinor's backseat. She winced as Cera's voice filled the small cockpit. "Ain't arguing the sentiment, Cera, but lower the volume if you please," she said, forcing calm into her voice in the hopes that it would help Cera calm down too, if only a little. The human's eyes widened a bit when her Valkyrie's weapons systems activated, but she didn't comment on that now. "Then we take him out before he gets the chance," she said over the Nexus, and added for the benefit of those who couldn't see, "Mack, we've got one Zeki in Male Power Armor here, took a missed shot at Toph then took off for the other door. Also, the outer doors are closed. We're aiming to take out the Zeki before he gets away; Cera recommends no pursuit."

With the weapons systems already up*, all she really had to do was aim and fire. So she did. "Fox five," she called, sending a burst from her GU-11 flying through the bay at the retreating Zeki-Zentraedi.

*Per the GM, naturally the weapons are already activated since the Valkyrie's up and running too. Cera just took the safeties off, as it were, which was more or less what I figured.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back