• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Eleven: The Troubled Temple of Tapio - Preparation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oreleth would nod in greeting as Brenoran introduces her to the half-elf. "Greetings, and well met, Otiorin." She offers up a slight smile to him, trying to get a feel on how he is going to respond to her.
0 - Ray of Frost, Flare, Light, Mage Hand
1 - Shield, Shocking Grasp, Burning Hands
Force Missile x5 (1d4+1 damage)

Hit Points: 61
Action Points: 9

Armor Class: 24
CMD: 26
Fort Save: +8
Reflex Save: +9
Will Save: +4 (+9 vs Fear)
Perception: +13

Bria slipped off of Ben's wide shoulder and ran gaily to Otiorin. There, she gave him a heartfelt hug, full of warmth and affection as only Brias can give. "Oti! Bren's elf-magnetism has returned with full force! We have a full-blooded elf in the party! It happens every time Bren's in a party!"

The peaceful healer indicated Oreleth with a proud wave of her hand. "Oreleth put four arrows into the stone golem's head faster than I could get a single spell away!"

Mamapaw grinned at Otiorin's reappearance. She waved a paw. "Well, there is a welcome face! Does one ask a rogue 'where he has been hiding' or should one bother?"

Sparkle mused and spoke instead of sent. Her reptilian eyes peered with interest at Otiorin's manner and dress. "Bahamut only knows what creatures like Otiorin do when his party is not looking... Especially when they smile like that!" She gave Otiorin a wave of her poisonous sting-tail.

Powerpaw stomped up from behind Otiorin and enthusiastically ruffled the half-elf's hair. "Heya face! You gots good timin's! But what's dat ting yer puttin' in yer face?" The furry Felane poked a claw at Otiorin's fruity cigar.

Otiorin Taletreader

Otiorin sighed inwardly at Nivirea's comment. Where had she acquired such a huge chip on her shoulder?
"Why thank you,", he replied, smiling broadly at her, "I had not expected such high praise. After all, what kind of rogue would I be if everyone were aware of my comings and goings?"
He then turned at Bren's introductions and bowed to the shop owners and their immense brother. The presence of Oreleth made him slightly nervous. Other elves of his experience tended to look down on him with either disgust, derision or spite. Sometimes all of them. It made him naturally cautious of their ilk. Oreleth's smile and reserved greeting drew a narrow smile in response.
"Well met indeed, Lady Oreleth. May Corellon ever smile upon you."
His reserve vanished as he was literally engulfed by the loving embrace of the Ko Healer. He could not help but laugh freely at her recounting of Oreleth's actions and Mamapaw's question. He did, however, respond to Powerpaw.
"This, my hirsute hammer-wielder, is a strawberry root cheroot. Works wonders on the mind.", he replied before puffing a loose smoke ring into the air.

Last edited:
(Get ready for a big post here, Gang!)

"Ooh!" Powerpaw pointed a claw at the smoke ring. "Dere's sumthin' dis Kitty-face haz nevar seen befores!"

Ben the Smithy stepped forward with a hearty grin. "Impressed by a smoke ring, are you? Well come inside what Misha and have made and we shall show you the meaning of the word 'impressed'!" Ben cautioned you to be careful on stairs as you made your way up the wide stone steps. Both the master and the mistress of the shoppe smiled and held hands as they looked up to the pleasant wooden sign that displayed the name of the shoppe for all to see. Above that on a high, proud post flew the magnificent green and white Highwind banner with its hippogriff soaring with wings wide.

Seeing Ben and Misha's togetherness, Bria smiled up at Otiorin and took his hand as they scaled the stairs together.

Put here again for Cap'n to see (if he hasn't already).
Ben and Misha's Magic Shoppe - leng-cai-psb.jpg
(Image credit: artstation.com)

"Ah," Sparkle looked about. "This entire building is just one big shoppe?"

"Aye," Misha replied. "And I'm willing to bet there is none other like it in all of Sharseya."

Entering the spacious foyer which branched off in two directions, you were met with an atmosphere that felt as much museum as it was magical store. These wooden walls, floors, and ceiling were carved from some beauteous, cream-colored white wood from what forest even Oreleth could not say. Wide, thick rugs covered the floor making each step a comfortable one. Illumination came from glowing lanterns that seemed to give no heat but plenty of strong, white and orange light. One felt as if they had stumbled upon some place good and special, a house of dreams perhaps. And it was for at least two of the company present.

On the left you saw a fine sign that read "Misha's: Alchemical Delights, Magicked Clothing and Jewelries, Works of Wonder, and Miscellaneous Wares." Beyond this portal loomed a number of neatly-arranged counters wide enough for large-sized creatures to make their way without trouble.

Dozens and dozens of outfits and pieces of outfits from wide-brimmed feathered hats to sturdy belts, soft dresses, rugged pants, and rows of footwear to match. Long walls and stand-alone wooden stands carried more of the same. Several well-dressed humans and gnomes, each wearing a golden vest, busied themselves with their daily duties while a handful of commoners milled about, touching the fabrics and nodding at what their fingers discovered.

One of the stewards, a pretty lady gnome with twirling blonde pigtails covering a cascade of straight hair, was in the middle of explaining to the customers. "...whatever suits your fancy will fit you. Missus Misha's clothes will magically adjust to the size of whatever wearer dons them. Doesn't matter where you call home. Halflings to centaurs to every creature in between, anyone can pull these on and look their very best."

More counters and stairs could be seen beyond this first room. Every little thing about the shoppe was pleasant, clean, and looking new.

To the left was an equally-fine sign that read, "Ben's: Deadly Arms, Mighty Armor, and Ammunitions." Faint sounds of hammering could be heard as one peered into this first room where rows and rows of armor, from easy-to-move-in padded armor to custom-made suits of full plate mail could be seen here. Each hung on half-sized mannequins. Helmets, headbands, and the like were displayed on busts of differing races from half-orcs to minotaurs to wemics, each with their own racial specialties and features.

Several golden vest-clad halflings, gnomes, and dwarves were either with customers or with the armor and shields, polishing this to its finest sheen or mounting that so that the armors each were in some pose or another that brought out its best qualities.

But the Wayward Wanderers heard the most "ooohs and ahhhs" coming from a room attached to this one titled, "The Arms Room." Inside flashes of flame could be seen along with the crackling of electricity or the gentle tossing of an unseen wind. This room seemed especially busy with commoners and adventurers placing their hands on the glassy barriers that separated them from each flail, staff, bow, or blade. Every weapon not locked in a case had a vigilant steward with the customer who wished to wield it.

Staffs part 10 by =Rittik on deviantart.jpg
(Image credit: Rittik on DeviantArt )

The Arms Room also possessed a wide circular area dotted with mannequins. A dwarf and a human, both clad in gold vests, took turns whirling around pairs of morning stars or swishing and slashing with a glittering matched rapier and dagger. These fighters never made contact except with the mannequins which looked as if they magically repaired themselves after a vicious stabbing or brutal beating. This was the source of entertainment and applause the Wayward Wanderers had heard.

BeyondFantasyAnimaswords.jpg
(Image credit: pinterest.com )

"Magic is everything," Ben told you, "but it begins in the heart. Each and every item we make here has our seal of approval on it, else it doesn't even get to the sales counter. Each ware we purchase from an outside source has been tested over and over until we are certain of its quality. But most of all... only here in all of Highwind are there master crafters that can create unique items. Given time and coin, we also take custom-made orders as we are able. No other shoppe in all of Highwind has that going for them!"

Misha put her hand on her hip and smiled at you. "We hope you like it here. All can browse, but only few may make purchases. Few like you!"

* * *​

Sparkle sprang and took wing from Luna's shoulder. She flapped up and hovered before a glass-encased staff-spear of some kind that seemed to use some huge creature's fang as spearpoint. The entire fang was some two feet in length, looked arrow-sharp, and emitted a strange greenish gaseous energy. "Bahamut's scales! Pyri! See this! This is one of Plaguemist's teeth! Plaguemist!"

Luna knew the tale of the dangerous dragon that was every bit as unattached to logic as she was to reality as a whole - and used magic to fit her ever-mercurial mindset. Here, before you, was a piece of that very same dragon, in the form of a weapon.

Oscar meandered up to the staff-spear and turned to Brendoran. "Intriguing. Bren, did you not have a history with Plaguemist during your Light in the Dark days? Given her state of mind all these years, I wonder if Plaguemist even knows the tooth is missing?"

"Oh, she knows, all right! She gave it to us as a gift!" Misha giggled like a schoolgirl.

* * *​

Powerpaw and Mamapaw made their way over to a golden suit of breastplate that sported a tiger-faced helmet complete with fangs and signs of other such hunting cats on the shoulders, arms, and chest. "Was this armor made here in Averlund?" Mamapaw inquired.

Ben cracked his knuckles. "Nay! It was made downstairs in our forges! It is a unique set we call 'Tiger's Tenacity!' Let me tell you all about it." Ben began to do just that.

* * *​

A silver-bearded dwarf approached Nivirea and Oreleth.

Such were the wonders of the shoppe that Otiorin had not noticed Bria had slipped away until he heard her call his name. Some of the young male adventurers gasped and grinned as she passed, but she did not pause a moment for any of them, much to their sorrow. The peaceful healer kept on until she had returned to Otiroin. Then she stood squarely in front of him, filling his vision the way young women do when they desire your utmost attention. Without a hint of shyness, Bria of the Ko eagerly asked Otiorin, "What do you think of it, Oti?"

With her long brown hair drifting over one shoulder, Bria smiled. Otoirin, and anyone else in the Wayward Wanderers who was interested, noticed she was now wearing this.

220px-Sophitia.png
(Image credit: Game Art HQ )

"Oh, that is cheating!" Misha waved a finger at Bria. "You have glamered armor and can wear whatever you like!" Then the matron softened her tone in admiration. "Not that I mind, dear girl; after all your trials and tribulations and all the people you have kept from Death's cold door, you have certainly earned the right to wear whatever you want! Do you like it?"

Bria smiled at Misha, clearly grateful for her approval. "Part of me really likes it, but I want to see what the other part of me says." Bria's curious, almost naive, gaze returned to her half-elf. His was the opinion Bria wanted most of all. It was as if, despite their gazes after her, no other man existed at all.

* * *​

There were about a score of commoners walking the aisles here, but only two other adventuring groups besides yours. One commoner in particular, a large human with a kindly yet dopey look to him dressed in a brown tunic with matching trousers and fur boots wandered alone. Unlike everyone else in Ben and Misha's Magic Shoppe, this fellow did not seem to be looking for something but someone. His dull eyes gazed from face to face. He held one hand behind his back. In his hand, for anyone who bothered to look, there was a fistful of large, freshly-plucked flowers held firmly inside of a large leather pouch.

"Uh, nope, nope." The dullard grunted and carried on with his search.

Luna feels like a young child in a candy store, with so many wondrous items to look at. She says over to Ben, "I have not seen the likes of such a place before! Its amazing. I am truly impressed." Luna continues to carefully move through the store, looking at the various wares. Finally, she pauses and once more addresses Ben. "I am not sure what might be of use to me here. What items do you have that can aid me in my arcane spellcasting?"
0 - Light, Mage Hand, Message, Read Magic
1 - Shield x2, Burning Hands, Floating Disk, Unseen Servant, Magic Missile x2
2 - Protection From Arrows x2, Blur x2, Web, Scorching Ray
3 - Haste, Fireball, Fly, Lightning Bolt
4 - Ball Lightning x2, Empowered Scorching Ray x2, Remove Curse
5 - Cone of Cold, Empowered Fireball, Empowered Lightning Bolt

Force Missile x9, Extended Mage Armor II in effect, duration of 20 hours
Wall of Energy for 10 rounds

Hit Points: 50

Action Points: 10

Initiative Bonus: 2
Fortitude Save: +6
Reflex Save: +7
Will Save: +15

Oreleth pauses for a moment to take in the sights and sounds of the magic shop, then she makes her way over towards the weapons and armor section. Keeping her eyes open for bows, she begins to browse the weapon selection. Something with more kick than my current bow. She keeps thinking back to that golem, and how useless her arrows were against it. At the same time, Oreleth wants to find a easier way of hauling her arrows in a ready-to-fire location.
0 - Ray of Frost, Flare, Light, Mage Hand
1 - Shield, Shocking Grasp, Burning Hands
Force Missile x5 (1d4+1 damage)

Hit Points: 61
Action Points: 9

CMD: 26
Fort Save: +8
Reflex Save: +9
Will Save: +4 (+9 vs Fear)
Perception: +13

Ben snapped his large finders. "Ah! Luna Callen, was it? You're the one with the pseudo-dragon familiar hovering around one of my unique staff-spears?" Ben looked over Luna, or rather, the belongings he could see before him. "Hmmm. Much depends on what you can make use of and what you will do with it. Pray tell me, Luna - you seem to be a Wizard, but of what study and school? And how far have you come along in your adventures?"

In case this isn't clear, what Ben is asking is...

1. What does Luna do with her magic? What specifically does she use her spells for? To transport? To fly? To learn secrets?

2. What specialization school is she of (or is she Universal)?

3. What title among other Wizards, colleges, and gatherings is she known? Here, Luna might reply (if she chooses) with one of two suffixes. Either "...the Wizard" or "...the Pyromancer." If the former, she is essentially telling Ben she is around or slightly above 10th level (as opposed to an acolyte, mage, evoker, and those other titles she has surpassed by getting to 10th level). If the latter, she is telling Ben she is at least 10th level and an evoker who studies and specializes in any Fire magic she can get her hands on. This is the same kind of thing that took place when all of you first met Arubellum, who is also browsing.

* * *​

Oreleth succeeds not only in finding a bow, but finding a section in Deadly Arms entirely dedicated to ranged combat. Her elven eyes saw short bows, crossbows mounted on the forearm, mighty composite longbows that add some or all of a wielder's strength to their flights. Heavy slings, slingshots, javelins, throwing knives, throwing axes, and dwarven hurling hammers lay ready for use.

But Oreleth then saw something new. Standing as wide as she was tall were human-portable ballistae, each with oversized "arrows." These were labelled in a section called "Longcross" and was apparently a new type of crossbow. These beautifully-crafted oversized heavy crossbows were destroyers that seemed fit for penetrating not riders, but mounts, barding and all. In all Oreleth's years, she had never seen anything like these.

All were arrayed attractively in rows against the walls and inside glassy orbs where they slowly moved about in ways that allowed one to look at every angle but not touch, at least not without the shoppe's assistance.

In her own realm of archery, longbows of stunning varieties entertained the eye and imagination. Some were rich with emerald leaves made from living yew, others crackling brightly with the power of storms or dripping snowflakes from their strings promising the deep bite of cold with every strike. So too were ammunitions and arrows of varying types and quivers for a person of nearly any size.

* * *​

Oreleth might not have noticed, but she and Nivirea both had attracted the eye of more than one steward or shopper with their fey features, rare for this part of the world. Some smiled and whispered. A few discreetly but confusedly pointed back and forth between the elf, the fey-blooded, and their male half-elven compatriot. It was as if, in this strange and wonderful city, they could not make up their minds if Otiorin were a true elf or not.

"Wooooow," remarked the dullard with eyes glazed over in fantasy. He looked back and forth between Nivirea and Oreleth. "You're so pretty..." But it was hard to tell which lady he meant or if he meant both.

Last edited:
Luna nods at Ben's assessment of her. "You are correct. I am a wizard of the Evoker school, and I have recently trained up to the position of Pyromancer. I use my magic in mostly an offensive and support role, wielding fire magics to burn those that would hurt me or my friends. What would you suggest for a lady looking for just the right thing?"
0 - Light, Mage Hand, Message, Read Magic
1 - Shield x2, Burning Hands, Floating Disk, Unseen Servant, Magic Missile x2
2 - Protection From Arrows x2, Blur x2, Web, Scorching Ray
3 - Haste, Fireball, Fly, Lightning Bolt
4 - Ball Lightning x2, Empowered Scorching Ray x2, Remove Curse
5 - Cone of Cold, Empowered Fireball, Empowered Lightning Bolt

Force Missile x9, Extended Mage Armor II in effect, duration of 20 hours
Wall of Energy for 10 rounds

Hit Points: 50

Action Points: 10

Initiative Bonus: 2
Fortitude Save: +6
Reflex Save: +7
Will Save: +15

.:| Nivirea - The Sorceress |:.

Indeed, Oreleth might not have noticed the extra attention, what with being so preoccupied with the weapons on display - but Nivirea surely did. Of course, with the same practiced ease with which she always noticed such details, she also promptly ignored them. This served to obscure her awareness to the beholders, though anyone who even remotely knew the girl could surmise that she was indeed silently basking in the ego-nurturing attention.

So it was that, though the lone shopper's compliment most likely registered somewhere on Nivirea's scope, she did nothing to even acknowledge it.

Or perhaps it really was lost on her, as she too was somewhat absorbed in the amazing place that she had found herself in. You could tell that she was overall truly impressed, but the look on her face, for the most part, was that of curiosity for things never seen before. That shadow of deep fascination that was so attributable to being Nivirea, such as when she held Arubellum's cane for the first time, hadn't yet crossed her face.

She had followed in Oreleth's foosteps until now, trailing at the back of the now dispersing group, but growing all the less interested as their surroundings changed more for the elf's liking. All the bows and assorted contraptions that Oreleth would probably find beyond precious received only a cursory scan from the young sorceress before she turned around and faced the direction that she'd just come from, noting the interactions of her companions while trying to decide on her own.

(Note from your Dungeon Master: Here we go!)

"Taarna Prepares" by Elmer Bernstein for the Heavy Metal motion picture soundtrack. This is excellent music; I've got it turned up. =)

Inside Ben and Misha's Magic Shoppe, things were warm and cozy. Shopping was fun!

"Well," Ben the Giant replied to Luna, "you crazy evokers are the best at dealing direct damage to the enemy, as long as you're skilled enough to know what spells to use and when! Gather 'round, Wanderers, and I'll help each of you find something to help you excel!" As the Wanderers gathered, Ben stepped around one of his many counters and prepared to share his considerable experience with each of you. Only Mamapaw, Powerpaw, and Sparkle were not nearby. They approached, each eager to hear and learn.

But Fate was fickle this day.

The big, dopey fellow with the poorly-hidden flowers in the pouch behind his back gasped and pointed straight at Brendoran Sarabina. A large crooked grin animated his pleased expression. "Yeah, yeah! You're Brendoran the Paladin! Happy birthday, sirrah!" It was a nice enough gesture...

...except that it was not Bren's birthday.

The following scene seemed to move in slow-motion.

Without warning, the dopey fellow, as if performing some well-rehearsed performance, gleefully reached into his pouch and swiftly produced a very pretty, little snow globe. Like a schoolboy, he moved as if to hurl it like a snowball. At Bren!

snowglobe-clipart-winter-snow-globes-christmas-snow-globe-clipart-christmas-png-free-clipart.png
(Image credit: clipart vector design)

Strange things, snow globes. They are beautiful and magical in their ability to light the imaginations of the young and old alike. But this one was unlike any other. The Wayward Wanderers saw that it produced great magical snowflakes, each the size of a hobbit's hand, each sparkling strangely and all with the same image. It was the semblance of something some of you recognized immediately. That recognition brought a chill to the heart.

"A White Dagger Held in a Pallid Hand" - this is known to any character here with 1 Rank or more in Knowledge: Religion - it is the oldest of Loviatar's unholy symbols.
TDS.jpg
(Image credit: Animal Jam Roleplay Wiki - Fandom )

Loudly the fellow cheered and flung this thing at Bren. "Bren! Happy birthday from Gerran, sirrah!"

The moment it left his hand, it gave off a terrible chill! Sudden icy pain lanced everyone in the room. It was as if there were no building to protect you from the cold, as if you were smack dead in the middle of a snowstorm. This seemed to greatly surprise the dopey fellow, yet there was no stopping its path at Bren now.

That was, unless you happened to be near its path of flight and were aware of the images in the snowflakes. Bria was both.

"No! You can't!!" the peaceful healer shrieked.

Without a second thought for her safety, Bria tried to push Otiorin away from it while shoving herself in the snow globe's path. She succeeded. She caught the globe with both hands, staring into it as if hypnotized. Then, with a blinding light and roar like a crashing avalanche, the snow globe exploded!

Bria took the full brunt of the magical blast! As she fell, despite her valiant efforts, the globe's magic encompassed all who were near! This included Nivirea, Luna, Otiorin, Oreleth, and Brendoran! Everyone else seemed to be outside the grasp of the snow globe's terrible magic.

Suddenly, the world all about you whirled and twirled, tossing each of you about like snowballs in a hurricane! All around you, white frost bit at your clothes and snow grasped greedily at your skin, stealing the warmth from your bodies!

As you felt yourselves wildly descending to gods-knew-where, you felt something in you was changing and not for the better!

You felt yourselves being pulled away. Ripped far and away from Ben and Misha's Magic Shoppe, perhaps from Highwind, perhaps from the continent of Averlund, perhaps from all of Sharseya herself!

Each of you crashed into something white and hard. The sudden impacts of your bodies striking what felt like age-hardened ice knocked the breath out of you. Everywhere you could see, there was white snow and the endless howling of winds. You appeared to be trapped in some fearsome blizzard in lands unknown. Each of you lay prone and dazed for long moments.

But not dazed enough to notice the howling lessening. Not enough to hear the female elvish voice that shouted in triumph. At you.

"Wayward Wanderers! You have dared set hand against Loviatar, the ice goddess! You have the cowardice to steal from us our feline druidess! You destroy the Craven! You take the Mielikkian Pinnacle of Power for yourselves and more! Damnable fiends that you are, you have taken from us; now we take from you!"

A wicked laugh cut the snows though all you see was their whiteness coming in sheets of wind upon you. "No one stands long against Loviatar! Now you shall learn why she alone is called 'The Maiden of Pain'! Ha ha ha!!"

The voice seemed to dim and the rising of the winds seemed to grow. You heard another voice replace it. It was male and human and full of spite. Most of you recognized the voice of Gerran the Vile when you heard it; all save Oreleth.

"How does it feel, fools? Who is laughing now? Freeze to death in despair that no one is coming to save you! For no one can! Yaaaa haaa haaaa! Loviatar shall rule all of Highwind from a frozen throne!

"Until then, fools... enjoy dying in Castle Anguish!!"

It was a name none of you knew.

All you knew was the terrible white snows all about you... and the added feelings that some great and wicked changes had just happened... to all of you.

You found yourselves shivering like rattling icicles. You knew the others were near, but in the wind, you would have to yell to hear them. For snowstorms were not in the habit of being convenient forces of nature. Somewhere, across the planes of reality, the Maiden of Pain watched your torment, threw back her great mane of blonde locks...

... and laughed!

(Thus ends Chapter 11: The Troubled Temple of Tapio - Preparation! See you shortly in Chapter 12: Loviatar's Icy Laughter!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back