• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Eleven: The Troubled Temple of Tapio - Preparation

Status
Not open for further replies.
.:| Nivirea - The Sorceress |:.

"A-ha!" Nivirea exclaimed victoriously as she bent to pick up the arcanist's cane. For a few moments her slender hands moved along its black surface, her eyes narrowed in scrutiny, until finally she casually pointed it at the golem.

"Golem, stop," she ordered, with no small amount of authority in her voice.

To most people, the differences between a sorcerer and a wizard aren't that large. They both cast the same arcane spells, use the same spell components, and most of the time, get the same results. But if you ask the sorcerer and the wizard how similar they are, you might be surprised at the answers you get.

Unlike Luna's background, Nivirea's life of sorcery had been one of self-searching, self-discovery, self-understanding, and a constant challenging of the mystical unknown as she practiced daily the special gift she possessed to create magic out of nothingness.

It is that mysterious power she drew upon as she sought to understand the simple-looking stone-tipped cane. As she focused, the cane began to tremble with a life of its own in Nivrea's beautiful and capable hands. Almost as if it were trying to tell her something...

Heya, Your Wolfness! Please make an Spellcraft skill roll in the Adventurers' Table.

"Hallucination" by Trevor Jones for the Labyrinth Original Motion Picture Soundtrack. I just love the dreamlike quality of this piece... Don't you? =)

Nivirea felt a calling - a calling from inside the black cane. The tip of the wooden rod was crowned with strange, gray stones that had a glittery quality that left a small trail of giddy white mist wherever it went. But Nivirea saw this for what it was - a distraction. While she held the cane and faced the towering stone golem that strode with its boulder-like fists held high, she felt that tugging again. Perhaps due to her sorcerous, sensitive nature, she felt it clearly. Though fiercely free-spirited by nature, Nivirea allowed herself to be guided by the cane. The tip of the cane motioned downward, ever downward.

And so Nivirea let the stony tip of the black cane touch Highwind's cobblestones. As they did, she felt a sharp crack and the mists pouring forth doubled in size until the fey-blooded sorceress had a virtual pool of white mist surrounding her ankles. Thus rooted, the tugging stopped. Nivirea faced the seemingly unstoppable giant of stone and repeated her command.

"Golem, stop."

All of a sudden, the scene on the commoner's street changed. The golem slowed its dangerous stride until the entire thing came to a safe and firmly-planted stop. Standing there, its fists still high in the air, a handful of vegetables still hanging from its face, the construct became as unmoving as Highwind's own walls. Silence, for a moment, dominated the scene. Commoners seemed to hold their collective breaths as if expecting the golem to move once again.

And when it didn't...

...a fierce chorus of cheers, loud and sudden like overhead thunder, broke the silence.

"HURRAAAAAAAHH!!"

The cheers from all around the Wayward Wanderers were so great that it tore Bria out of her concentration, thus ending her Calm Emotions spell. Immediately, the invisible blanket that had covered and contained all harsh and heavy emotions dissipated like a fog struck by a tornado. More cheers rose up, most of these from the score of children and their instructors from the sweet shop.

The Wayward Wanderers were surrounded by another sound - applause. It came from the three score Highwindians of various races, backgrounds, shapes, and sizes who had seen the whole thing. Many of them raised fists and shouted blessings from the gods of their hearts onto the Wanderers.

Shouts of "Woohoo!" and "Praise you all!" filled the windy neighborhood street. "Catastrophe averted!" yelled yet another.

The two horses, free of Bria's spell, looked up at the mighty colossus but two wagon-lengths away from them, and then back to each other. In the language of equines, one said, "Wheeeeew-w-w-w! That was close!" while the other replied, "I told you we would not get squooshed!"

Bria cheerfully ran up to Nivirea and attempted to give the sorceress one of her big warm hugs. "Nivirea! You did it! You did it!" she laughed in joy and relief.

Powerpaw, his natural excitement and fierceness returned, ran up on all fours and clapped his big paws together. "Good goin', Nivi-face!"

Brown and white wings wide, Mamapaw the owl hen landed on a nearby signpost and let out a long sigh that sounded like, "Whooooo-oo-oo..."

The elder magician came forth looking more hunched over than ever. He opened up his hand to Nivirea and eyed his cane in a wordless request for its return. Dressed in in black silks lined with sleek pearl designs about his collar and wrists, the magic-user pushed aside his windblown black-and-silver hair out of his view snorted. He was clearly unhappy with his own performance.

"I am Arubellum the Geomancer of Boccob," he introduced himself and there was a strange earthy look in his eye. "All right, youngster. How did you do it?"

With the exception of Powerpaw, Mamapaw, and possibly Bria (I'll have to roll), everyone in the Wayward Wanderers knows what a geomancer is - a sorcerer or wizard that specializes in earth magic and the study of nature, especially as it deals with land, earth, and the underground. Accomplished geomancers can pull secrets from stones as to astound even dwarves and druids and both of those peoples typically hold geomancers in high regard. These are rare arcanists indeed who often make for terrific dungeoneers and Arubellum seems like he is no exception. It is not obvious to you if he is a sorcerer or wizard. Right now, he just seems like a frustrated bent-backed man who wants his cane returned and his reputation somehow restored.

On a related note, I just realized that Luna, now that she is a 10th level Wizard, is allowed by her order to use the title "Pyromancer" should she so choose. The use of "-mancer" with any elemental suffix denotes a magic-user of at least 10th level, often higher. Mostly, such arcanists provide these titles as a matter of pride and background.

Last edited:
Luna's level of tension is starting to fade as Nivirea is successful in getting the massive construct to stop. Boccob was with us today. I was quite afraid that it was going to end badly, and there was little I could do to stop it. Gliding over to where this Arubellum is standing as he talks to Nivirea, Luna offers up a slight bow, as if to an equal. "Greetings and well met, Arubellum. I am Luna Callen, a Pyromancer of Boccob. May I ask you, what on earth inspired you to make such a monstrosity?!? Especially one that you were unable to control!" She takes a deep breath to compose herself. "Pardon my outburst. But, if it were not for the quick reaction from our band here, the loss of life could have been extensive."
0 - Light, Mage Hand, Message, Read Magic
1 - Shield x2, Burning Hands, Floating Disk, Unseen Servant, Magic Missile x2
2 - Protection From Arrows x2, Blur x2, Web, Scorching Ray
3 - Haste, Fireball, Fly, Lightning Bolt
4 - Ball Lightning x2, Empowered Scorching Ray x2, Remove Curse
5 - Cone of Cold, Empowered Fireball, Empowered Lightning Bolt

Force Missile x9, Extended Mage Armor II in effect, duration of 20 hours
Wall of Energy for 10 rounds

Hit Points: 50

Armor Class: 24
Action Points: 10

Initiative Bonus: 2
Fortitude Save: +6
Reflex Save: +7
Will Save: +15

As amazed as Nivirea must in truth have been, she betrayed none of it, making it seem instead that what just happened was a perfectly normal occurrence for her. She stood tall and relaxed, not one hair out of place, surveying the scene with a self-satisfied smile - a smile looking not at all out of place on her. She was very clearly enjoying all the cheers and the attention that she was getting. Even Bria's affectionate hug did nothing to ground her; she took it stoically, acting as if her success was understood and such vehement congratulations uncalled for.

Now faced with Arubellum the Geomancer, the girl seemed to grow all the more haughty for his unhappy, baffled looks. Instead of readily returning the cane, she proceeded to toy with it in one hand as she addressed him. "How did I do it? How did you not? One who would claim mastery over earth should hardly find it difficult to command one of its constructs, especially if one presumed to also call himself a master of said construct. Or is there another explanation for you wielding this staff?"

The girl spoke so casually that her disinterest itself could have been taken as provocation.

Oreleth slowly lowers her bow but continues to keep a close eye on the giant golem. Keeping a pair of arrows knocked, she heads back towards the trio of magic users to hear what is going on.
0 - Ray of Frost, Flare, Light, Mage Hand
1 - Shield, Shocking Grasp, Burning Hands

Shield spell in effect for the next two minutes

Hit Points: 61
Action Points: 9

Armor Class: 24 / 28 with Shield Spell
CMD: 26
Fort Save: +8
Reflex Save: +9
Will Save: +4 (+9 vs Fear)
Perception: +13

Bren Sarabina
Standard AC: 23
Fort save: +13
Ref save: +8
Will save: +11
Current action points: 10
Current HP: 112
Status effects: none
Powerpaw's tower shield +1 (-2 to attack rolls)
Spells: 1st - Bless, Bless Weapon, Divine Favor, Lesser Restoration; 2nd - Bull's Strength, Delay Poison, Resist Energy; 3rd - Daylight, Prayer.
Speech color, for reference: #3399ff

Bren let out a sigh of relief as the golem answered the sorceress's command. "Well done, Nivirea!" he said, smiling. His smile broadened at the cheers of the crowd around them. Only moments ago they had been afraid, not just of the golem but of the arcanists in their midst, and now they were cheering for one of those same arcanists! He moved closer to the others, hoping this Arubellum wouldn't feel too disrespected. Provoking as Luna and Nivirea had been, they also made some good points. Why had he brought this giant golem into the city? And why hadn't he been able to control it once it was here? He waited to hear the older man's reply, keeping an eye on the horses and on the streets around them. And the golem, just in case.

Arubellum's wizened eyes enlarged in disbelief at Luna's accusation. "'Make'? Did I say I created the cursed thing? Consider yourself unpardoned, Pyromancer Callen!"

He pulled a medallion from within his robes, an old brass medallion from a time before this one. Upon its surface was a pentagram with an eye - the symbol of the God of All Magics, the Archmage of the Deities, the Uncaring - Boccob. It was a holy symbol Arubellum had apparently owned for no short amount of time. Luna knew well that the vast majority of Boccob's followers were neither good nor evil, but something in between; most did not suffer fools lightly.

If Luna's provocation soured his mood, then Nivirea's haughty performance affected him worse. "What? How did I not? You withhold a broken man's cane from him then chastise and demand explanations? From me? As if were some common mage?" He seethed with anger. "Oh, you have crossed the wrong viper, foolish girls of Summerset!"

Arubellum's crooked countenance transformed before the Wanderers' eyes. Instead of a hobbling man whose pride was wounded, he flashed Luna and Nivirea a truly eerie grin coupled with the harshest of stares. Dragonlike, he roared, "No one toys with Arubellum!"

Aimed at Nivirea, his hands rose into the air and with practiced ease and a suddenly mighty voice and will, he wove a spell of his own. "Hastrum osnoxis chera kalna!" At the last moment, he swung toward the horses and wagon, or rather Luna's Web spell that bound them, and released his magic. For a moment, the strong, thick webbing visibly rebelled, and then it vanished without a trace, dispelled by the geomancer's Dispel Magic spell.

As the Highwindians looked on in wonder and befuddlement, he soothingly replied to them, "Forgive the drama, my fellow Highwindians. Just cleaning up the streets. Who wants a big pile of webs blocking our fine road, am I right?" The people did not challenge him.

"Let me see," he rewound time in his mind and mimicked Nivirea's motions, all the while murmuring to himself. "You held the cane with both hands... yes... then you touched it to the cobblestones, looked up at the golem, and commanded, 'golem, stop.'" The Wanderers could see the elder man's eyes racing with thought until... "Aha! 'Stone to stone means bone to bone!' Of course! The head of the cane must touch stone to be activated, hence the great pool of white mist! Finally, the tenth of ten keys! My job here is done!"

Then his venomous eyes rested once again on Nivirea and Luna. His words hissed like hot flames from his tongue. "Soooo... you want to flaunt my property before me like prison keys before a prisoner? Keeeep iiiiiit... Yeeesss..." He nodded, grinning devilishly at them.

Then, uncaring, he turned his back on the arcanists. "I have had enough! The cane and the golem and the responsibility of delivering them both now falls on you two wit-blasted fools! When next the golem comes alive again, the cane might surprise you, and then destruction of life and property the colossus causes will fall upon you, the straw that broke this geomancer's back! Boccob as my witness, I wash my hands of this entire adventure!"

With that, he walked crookedly away back the way he had come, caneless and bent. He stole a glance at the horses. With a word in equine, the now-freed horses followed him without question.

Then he glanced at Brendoran. "'Count Sarabina,' is it?" he said with a nod of respect. "A Mielikkian paladin, you say?" He looked at Oreleth and her elven features, then Bria and the Mielikkian holy symbol about her neck. He seemed not to catch the disguised owl hen in your group or the silent and ever-curious red panda perched on Bria's shoulder.

"Holy One of the Green, would you walk with me a moment, you and those two ladies?" Bria overheard this and, wide-eyed with wonder, glanced at Bren and hesitated.

The geomancer did not wait for Brendoran's answer, but kept strolling away, eager to be gone from the ugly scene.

Last edited:
Bren Sarabina
Spells: 1st - Bless, Bless Weapon, Divine Favor, Lesser Restoration; 2nd - Bull's Strength, Delay Poison, Resist Energy; 3rd - Daylight, Prayer.

Well, Bren supposed, Luna and Nivirea had been ... less than polite in their questioning. Not that it was fair of the geomancer to just dump this on them like that. "Stay here, and try to keep things calm while I see what I can do," he told them. "We don't really have time for a second quest at the moment, even assuming we knew enough to complete it."

He then waved at Bria and Oroleth to follow him as he caught up to Arubellum. "I apologize for any rudeness just now," he said. "But, well, we've got a fairly momentous task hanging over our heads and really ought to be preparing for that, and none of us were expecting such a, mm, sizeable delay." He glanced back at the golem.

A look of genuine dismay had appeared on Nivirea's face back in that moment when it seemed that she was going to be the target of Arubellum's spell. She'd tensed up, quickly going through her options, and as much as she'd have liked to think that her response would have been timely, in the aftermath she wasn't entirely certain. She did not advertise her breath of relief, though, but promptly slid back to her default nonchalant state.

She watched the geomancer leave without a word and then re-examined the cane he'd left in her possession. Her eyes narrowed nearly to slits as she beheld first the cane, then the golem, and finally various members of her group. For several long moments she seemed absorbed in some silent debate.

"Well, I was going to give it back," she finally said, to no one in particular before actually turning to face Luna on her left. "Luna, you're a wizard - and a Boccob devotee at that. I can think of no one better suited for this task. Thus I humbly yield this artifact to you."

She ceremoniously held the cane out with two hands, her head bowed enough that her eyes were invisible.

Luna looks at the man walking away from her with a bit of irritation. Its not like we don't have anything better to do with our time than deliver this monstrosity to . . . Wait. Perhaps we do have the time, if we bring it with us to stop the evil that is trying to invade our world! She gets a wicked smile as she accepts the rod from Nivirea. "I will do my best to maintain the control you have placed on it. Let us hope that I am successful." , then calls out, "Lord Bren, a moment of your time? Please? Its important."

Unfortunately, between the street traffic of some twenty-odd Highwindians (not including the ruckus in the candy store from the kids and their instructors), the clacking of nearby hooves and wagon, and the distance Bren had covered in following the fellow, Bren simply could not hear Luna through the din.

Brendoran and Bria caught up to Arubellum the Geomancer as he was hooking his fingers into the handles on the side of his wagon. Bria was a bit behind and so she ran up as only Ko monks can, especially those wearing Boots of Striding and Springing. Brendoran noticed Arubellum was clearly having a hard time hauling himself up to his seat. His grumbling to himself worsened as he tried to make away.

"...Two things I cannot stand for, it is disrespectful behavior and ignorant people who act on their ignorance, and by the Eye, I have endured both today! Five dangerous days without a decent meal! Four dreary days without more than an hour's sleep! And three of my worst days since..." his voice dropped to a mad-eyed, sinister growl, "... I have been without my coffee... Why, I would answer much for a single cup of King's Choice served black right now..."

Brendoran knew of that famous brew. It was top-notch coffee. The best Highwind had to offer and indeed the first choice of her king, so naturally for him, King Wildegard made certain it was available to the masses and not just his private stores.

Hearing Arubellum voice his grievances and desire, Bria came to a full stop beside the wagon, her arms pinwheeling and her feet doing an odd dance to not fall forward into a heap. The peaceful healer spun toward Bren, her long brown hair flashing. Silently and girlishly, she indicated herself to Bren and pointed back toward the candy shoppe. Then she made drinking motions as if she were enjoying a cup of something. Finally, she clasped her hands and kind of pleaded with him with her big, brown eyes for Bren's permission for her to run off to the candy shoppe. Bren, being no tourist of Highwind, knew that if the candy shoppe did not have King's Choice coffee, they would very likely know who did.

Arubellum eventually noticed Brendoran and offered him a seat on his wagon. "Oh," he nodded, his voice raspy. "You decided to join me after all. Come on up then."

Then with a word from him in the language of beasts, the horses pulled forth, and they were off at a horse's walk. The magic-user narrowed his now tired-looking, red-rimmed eyes. Even in his fine black and pearl robes, he appeared haggard, mean-looking, and quite unhimself. Still, he kept his tone as respectful as he could.

"You appear to be a man of action, Count Sarabina of the Green. I do not ask your forgiveness for my actions for they are unforgivable, as is my current deplorable state. You see me at my worst. For this, I do deeply apologize. Still, you have your quest and I have mine, so I shall try and speak plainly." He took a deep breath, coughed, and spoke again in a quiet fashion, his eyes staying on the road as his wagon carried you on.

"I, a Boccobian geomancer alone, learned and followed the clues to the colossus into Highwind's sewers. It was running amok down there causing quite a stir beneath the Soundswallow Crypt. There, I tracked down, recovered, restored, and cleaned up the monstrous thing. I was in the process of finally returning it when it went amok again.

"Prior to this, I took the job of finding it from the Adventurers' Guild where my job-giver entailed someone to learn the 'ten keys of command,' of which that haughty child back there," he sneered back in Nivirea's direction, "stumbled upon the tenth. Now I know them all. This completes my bargain.

"Keep in mind, for the job, learning all the ten keys comes first. Returning the colossus comes second and is considered a bonus. These ten keys, if you will, are each a method in controlling the colossus. Think of them instead as limited languages.

"When the colossus moves again, one must watch for the right signs and then use the proper method with the black cane. It will listen to only one of the ten methods at a time. Mind you, the colossus is not at all a destructive thing normally, except somehow it has become badly broken. So damaged as to be beyond my means to mend at the moment, although I am certain my job-giver can fix it.

"You see, something in the colossus's inner command workings is off. Without going into detail, just understand that when the colossus wakes, it attacks the first thing it senses! And it does that anywhere from once every hour to ten times an hour, hence my utter lack of sleep! For what feels like an eternity, I have stopped and stopped this thing, dozens and dozens of times now. Armed with my research, intellect, and magical knowledge - praise, Boccob - I unlocked each of the methods, one by one except the last which I learned just now. In this most-recent case, it woke and saw my horses. I thank you for saving them from a bloody squooshing.

The horses chose that moment to turn around together and look at Bren appreciatively as if they understood all that was being said.

Arubellum's gnarled hands held the leather reins more tightly than was necessary. "Now, Count Sarabina, I recommend to you two options. Either I can teach you these ten keys to prepare you for when the golem activates again at the cost of your sanity and perhaps your quest as you deliver the colossus to its rightful place for hat bonus reward, or..." he snorted, "...you might consider getting a tired, over-worked magic-user his cane back.

"I trust Mielikkians to do what is right by the land and therefore I am willing to trust you. I would also not see another soul harmed by it again. Just do not ask me to speak another word to that pair in your party! Not unless they have an apology for me! I have been wronged and my current state and poisonous pride will not allow me to otherwise!" He sneered. "No doubt, by now, one of those two arcanic dolts back there is probably thinking to use the broken colossus to her own ends! But I give you my word as a geomancer and as a native Highwindian... that road will not end well...

Arubellum paused just long enough to look Brendoran in the eye. "Ask me what you will or provide a third option if you have one, sirrah, and let us put this unwelcome matter behind us."

Oreleth is far enough away from Bren and Arubellum that she cannot hear what the Geomancer has to say, so her attention is still locked on the giant golem, keeping her bow handy even if she doesn't have any arrows knocked. She slowly works her way over to be nearby Nivirea and Luna so she can comment, "I have only begun to scratch the surface of my arcane knowledge, but I do know enough to say that the construction of such a thing like that is a difficult feat, to say the least. How is this particular golem so large?"

Shield spell in effect for the next two minutes

Armor Class: 24 / 28 with Shield Spell

Bren Sarabina

Bren was clearly both amused by and sympathetic to Bria's pantomime. Following her silent lead, rather than reply in words he simply nodded and made a shooing motion to indicate that she should indeed fetch the geomancer some coffee, and return as soon as possible. Then he turned his full attention back to Arubellum, just in time to receive that individual's invitation. He swung himself up into the wagon with a quiet "thank you" and listened attentively to the older man's narrative of his trials and grievances.

Choosing to start by answering the last point first, Bren said, "Perhaps they are considering it, but then they probably have no idea of the golem's brokenness, sir. It sounds to me as if it would be quite as much trouble as help on our quest, and very likely much more! It is an impressive creation, but I don't think we can afford the distraction. Besides which, it is not ownerless nor ours for the taking. If you would not mind waiting here for my return, I'll go persuade them of that and return the rod to you so that we may all complete our chosen tasks."

He hoped Nivirea and Luna wouldn't mind too much, but it really did sound inconvenient at the very least. Imagine having to stay wakeful lest this giant golem attack whatever first grabbed its attention, perhaps several times in an hour! He didn't think either of them had the ability to fix the golem, either, but even if they did, the party didn't have the time.

Arubellum's eyes glazed over in thought, shining like gemstones for that brief moment. With a flick of his wrist and a snap of the reins, his wagon came to a halt. "Count, you are perfectly right in that it is not ownerless. Far, far from it. I would see it back to the place it belongs, to where it ought to be." This last he said with longing.

Smoothing his beard with one hand, the geomancer set his reins down and reached inside a small box. From this, he lifted a small, thin collection of rainbow crystals all fused into one long device. This, he filled with one end and while testing the other end with his lips. Then, with a snap of his fingers and a touch of flame to the filled end, he smoked his crystalline pipe and waited.

It was only then that he spied a furry red-faced creature sitting on the bottom step of his wagon. It looked like... A miniature bear perhaps? A raccoon? "What manner of creature are you?" he said to Oscar of Highwind.

Oscar did not answer him immediately, but looked back to the sweet shoppe wherein a chorus of cheers from children erupted as Bria entered. The young monk had flown there on swift heels and enchanted footwear, but more magical still was the smile she gave the children and their instructors.

Bren was free to do as he would.

Luna shakes her head. "I don't know off the top of my head. Perhaps if I were to spend some time studying it? But there is no time to do so right now. It may be of divine origin in order to explain how it is that it got so large."

Bren Sarabina

Bren smiled and nodded. "I think we can both agree to that," he said. "Please wait for me here; I shall return shortly." With that, he dismounted from the wagon seat and quickly made his way back to where the rest of his party waited (except Bria, on her mission of coffee).

Seeing that Luna was now holding the rod, he approached her first, but quick glances at the others made it clear he was addressing all of them. "Arubellum has agreed to take the rod back and complete its delivery himself," he told the group. "I think this will be the best plan. We have another, very important job to do, and should not be distracted by this. And it will be a distraction at best, and a near-enemy at worst. The golem is currently broken and will attack whatever it first senses upon waking -- and I'm told it wakes at least once an hour, sometimes as much as ten times an hour. Arubellum will take it where it belongs, and the one he's taking it to can fix it so that it's not a danger to the city." He smiled wryly. "I'm afraid he's still in something of a temper. To avoid further irritation, to him and to ourselves, I think I ought to be the one to take it to him, while you stay here just a little longer. Then we can all get back to our original plans for the day."

He held out his hand towards Luna for the rod. "All right?"

Last edited:
Luna's dreams of seeing this massive golem smashing through the enemy forces fade with each word that Bren speaks. <sigh> "Very well. I have no objection to giving him the rod, just so long as he manages to keep control of this thing so it doesn't go on another rampage. Here." She hands the item over to Bren, obviously not wanting to. "Still, it would have been wonderful to see it making squishy red goo of the bad guys we are about to face. I guess I can just dream about it."

"Of course," Nivirea nodded amicably alongside Luna. "'Twas my plan all along. I did not mean to upset your friend."

The sorceress girl assumed a posture so guileless, it could have made one feel guilty just for having looked at her.

Oreleth would continue to observe the golem, but makes the comment, "I have noted in the past that using a broken weapon for anything other than a last resort is foolhardy at best. It is too often the case that you rely too heavily upon said weapon and it breaks at the most inopportune time. Lets take our leave of it and be on our way."

Bren Sarabina
Bren gave them all a smile and nod of thanks. He accepted the rod from Luna and quickly returned to Arubellum. Standing beside the wagon, he held it up and offered it to the geomancer. "Here you are, sir. But if you will wait just a moment more for Bria to return, I believe she has something for you as well."

There in the center of the windy cobblestone street, the colossus stood like a thing unmoveable, unharmable, and utterly undefiable, towering over every living thing below it. Even in stillness, the incredibly-strong construct was something to make men and women of all realms tremble in fear. Perhaps this was the reason that wary Oreleth of the Forest Eternal did not take her eyes off of the thing. Almost every wood elf, especially one as well-traveled as Oreleth, knew that to take your eyes off of a potential threat was like giving it a grand invitation to hurt you and yours.

Still, most folk found living in fear to be something quite uncomfortable, and therefore most people regardless of their ilk chose not to face the great stone golem at all. Even the commoners, who grabbed at the white and green tabards of the newly-arrived Highwind guard, turned away from the monolithic construct despite the heroic presence of the Wayward Wanderers.

At that moment, Oreleth found she had but one like-minded fellow in the entire busy street - Powerpaw of Shamballah. Like Oreleth, the hulking mass of feline fur and muscle did not trust the colossus any farther than he could throw it.

So was it any wonder then that both fighters were the first to see the golem's great eyes turn inside its head? It seemed to follow Bria as she hustled carefully down the street carrying some load in her healer's hands.

As she moved, so did it with an eerie silence that in itself was horrific...

Roll Initiative in the Adventurers' Table!

Her long brown hair blowing in the breeze, Bria's feet swiftly kept her along while her steady hands held a fine and colorful clay pot complete with lid and a matching cup. In moments, Bria came to a halt at the geomancer's wagon. Her peaceful brown eyes could not help but glance wishfully at the two horses drawing the wagon and then back to the master of the wagon. Huffing with the exertions that come from a good jog, she stood beside Bren as she presented her gifts to the gruff and rough-looking geomancer. "Here you are, sir! To add some sunshine to your day!"

Arubellum set his crystalline pipe down and stared transfixed at the clay pot and cup. "What is this?" He reached out and collected the items with great care. He did not have to raise the lid of the pot to know what his nose was telling him. "King's Choice coffee!! Boccob bless you, child!" He looked askance. "Not that you can trust the Uncaring One to bless anyone, of course. All he cares about is magic and knowledge and their use in the universe. But, then again, so do I!" The geomancer had a gracious smile once he had reason to give it and now was such a time. For the first time since the Wanderers had met him, there was an expression of peace and relief on his ragged features. He poured himself a cup and gazed upon that black liquid as if it were a portal into Heaven itself.

He looked to Bren and Bria and sagged like a sack of potatoes. "You... cannot know what this means to me after the sleepless days and nights that golem has stolen from me..."

"Good sir," Bria replied slowly, "sometimes all that is needed to live a good life is to chase and catch those things that make one feel alive." She indicated the coffee.

"Quite so, wise girl!" Arubellum blew on his steaming cup and cradled it as if it were a precious thing. He accepted the black cane from Bren with a look of sincere thanks. "My sanity in one hand and the conclusion of this damnable quest in the other. I owe you, Count Sarabina. Pray tell me what quest of yours bothers you and your fair goddess?"

As they spoke, the Ko healer nor the Mielikkian paladin nor the Highwindian geomancer had any idea at all that Bria had suddenly become the object of the colossus's attention, nor that Oreleth and Powerpaw had seen its first movements since Nivirea commanded the thing just minutes ago.

But the glance of the colossus was just the first of its motions. It seemed to be silently reaching for its left arm with its right. Oreleth knew without a shadow of a doubt that her magic arrows would not annoy it, for it was a construct and incapable of such feelings. All she could say for certain was the thing had a penchant for violence and now Oreleth's human compatriot seemed to be its target. It stared at Bria with single-minded purpose - the same purpose it seemed to have for Arubellum's horses just minutes ago...

What does Oreleth do?

Oreleth's suspicion of the giant golem seems to have been rewarded as she sees the construct moving once more. Another reason why we don't want this thing coming along with us. I'm glad that Luna Callen didn't argue with Brendoran when it came to returning the control wand. With a smooth motion, she raises up her bow and fires a volley of arrows, and calls out, "'Ware the golem! It moves again! Bria! It seems to be locked onto you!"

Last edited:
Status