• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Eighteen: In the Shadow of the Maiden of Pain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oreleth nods. "We will warn the defenders of Highwind about the giants, but our main focus needs to be on stopping the plots of Loviatar. That path leads us to be able to save far more lives than dealing with the giants ourselves. By the time we get back to Highwind, the preparations that need to be made might be done for us to focus our efforts on the bridge that the hated goddess is using to wage war on our lands and our world. At the very least, we can sleep well knowing that the lives of the kobolds that were being persecuted have been saved, and none of our own lives were lost in the effort to do so."
"You - and others - speak of grander tasks than what little I stumbled into thus far. Let me know where I can be of assistance." Aldrin leans back against the wall, eyes in constant motion to take in all the details of the new - and unfamiliar - surrounding; where the kobolds are a source of amusement every now and then, Powerpaw's feat of food-devouring causes the halfling to turn away. There are things one does not have to watch too closely...

"You also spoke about besting the giants. Seeing their prowess in combat, their weakest link might be whatever arrangement binds them to their task. Where strength matches strength in a confrontation, blood is spilled on both sides. Sometimes, it's lest costly to face strength with wits instead. Perhaps, my gifts can offer some insight eventually - if not, I would suggest we think about ways to find not only strength, but knowledge. Though I assume that the Guild is already a decent first step in that direction."

Last edited:
Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus jaydude jaydude Kaerri Kaerri Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood Silanon Silanon

Perhaps, my gifts can offer some insight eventually - if not, I would suggest we think about ways to find not only strength, but knowledge. Though I assume that the Guild is already a decent first step in that direction."
Nitwit the Kobold, with his wide and observant eyes and eager to please mannerisms, finishes up his tasks and reports to his chieftain. They converse back and forth in Dragonese and in low tones with the chief doing most of the talking. Nitwit nods a lot and peers in Oreleth's direction more than once.

Finally, the little fellow bows once more to his chief who points at the Wayward Wanderers. Nitwit meekly makes his way over to Oreleth. If she happens not to notice his approach, he gently tugs on her armor to get her attention while also looking at Luna and Aldrin.

"Uhm, begging your pardon, miss leader ma'am, but it sounds like dere's talk of taking us wee wittle dragon-peeps ta Highwind? We jus' love da idea but..." he squirms, "...ya know only three of us is allowed in da mountain-city, right?" Nitwit looks up to Aldrin and Luna with little hopeful eyes. "Uhhh, uou know any magic that might help with dat?"

Mamapaw frowns and rolls her eyes.. "By Bountiful Bastet, some cities have the poorest laws. Yours are clearly a people in need. They should take you in without question."

Nitwit holds out his empty paws. "Mebbe dey would if there wusn't a war against evil peeps going on? 'Cept for my tribe, we super-teamy scaly guys be as evil as it gets. Except for, you know... da Drow." He shudders noticeably at that last word.

Alisa, being a native of Highwind, knows well about the long history of creatures in great numbers or small that have tried to enter Highland to make it their home. Prior to the war, Highwind had allowed many to live in what was once a purely human city, but now? Everyone in that city is at stake if they allow the wrong folk in and there have been no small number of attempts in since the war began.

What do the Wayward Wanderers do?

Kaerri Kaerri in the kitchen.

Kaerri's shadow puts one hand on her hip and tosses her hair. Kaerri can feel Eris's stare. "I was gonna say, boss. If you're going to walk out of here, at least leave Wave here so nobody gets in my way."

The kobolds pause long enough to stop and stare at the talking shadow. Lady Beatrice turns in the direction of Eris's voice. "You need not worry about that. If you stay out of their way, they will quite likely stay out of yours. Now. Could someone please find the right knives for cutting all this with?" She motions towards the cheese.

"I'ze on it!" One of the reptilians pops off of a stool and produces a block of kitchen knives. Kaerri has never seen kitchen knives like this outside of the King Wildegard's towering palace. Even the kitchen knives in the wagon are masterwork if not magical.

As the time passes, Kaerri has the option of finishing up here and joining in with the conversation in progress in the Grand Pool or she can continue to stay here and do it to it.

It is her time after all. =)

Luna stares at Nit-Wit as if he had just grown another head. It takes her as moment for the news to sink in about the law of the city restricting their number to a mere handful. With an exasperated stomp of a petite foot, the mage says, "Now that's just not right! Your tribe may be a bunch of kobolds, but you are hardly evil and if there is anyone in more need of a home, I cannot think of them. Perhaps...... I have an idea. We have a means to call our friend Oscar, a being that has the ear of many of the Highwind lords. He is very wise, and if we plead your case to him, he may be able to help with the law, or at least, give us a possible other location to be able to safely take you. What do you think of that idea? Anyone have a reason why we shouldn't give it a try?"

Oreleth looks over at Luna and smiles. The fire mage is many things, but a heartless woman is not one of them. She has a real heart of gold, and I for one am glad to have companions like her at my side.

The elf says to Nitwit, "You do not need to fear, my friend. The Wayward Wanderers will not just drop you off at the side of the road and forsake you. One way or another, we will make sure you and your people will be taken care of, and not in a bad way. If you cannot stay in Highwind we will find you a new place to call your own. In the meantime, Luna, I think that talking to Oscar is a wonderful idea. Hopefully he can aid us in setting down our guests in a safe place. Let us call him and see what he has to say."

A beaming Luna jumps up. "Excellent! I'll get the crystal ball and wet can see if he is available to aid us!" She then bounces out to go get the crystal.

Kaerri Kaerri in the kitchen.

Kaerri's shadow puts one hand on her hip and tosses her hair. Kaerri can feel Eris's stare. "I was gonna say, boss. If you're going to walk out of here, at least leave Wave here so nobody gets in my way."

The kobolds pause long enough to stop and stare at the talking shadow. Lady Beatrice turns in the direction of Eris's voice. "You need not worry about that. If you stay out of their way, they will quite likely stay out of yours. Now. Could someone please find the right knives for cutting all this with?" She motions towards the cheese.

"I'ze on it!" One of the reptilians pops off of a stool and produces a block of kitchen knives. Kaerri has never seen kitchen knives like this outside of the King Wildegard's towering palace. Even the kitchen knives in the wagon are masterwork if not magical.

As the time passes, Kaerri has the option of finishing up here and joining in with the conversation in progress in the Grand Pool or she can continue to stay here and do it to it.

It is her time after all. =)
Kaerri grinned at her shadow. "There, see? You don't need me or Wave. Now let's get started." Accepting the knives from the kobold with a nod and a "Thanks!", she got to work, but as she'd said, once it had been sliced to chunks, she left the shredding to Eris. "Going to go check on the others now," she advised the room in general, knowing her movements were rather quiet and not wanting Beatrice to think she was still there when she wasn't. "Eris will finish up the cheese for you, don't worry!" With that, she left the kitchen and went back to the pool room to see what the others were up to.

"Eris will finish up the cheese for you, don't worry!" With that, she left the kitchen and went back to the pool room to see what the others were up to.
Kaerri Kaerri "Why do I get all of the cheesy jobs?!" Kaerri's Shadow playfully quips as Kaerri makes her way from the kitchen.

(Kaerri is literally walking around without casting a shadow at this time.) =)

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus jaydude jaydude Kaerri Kaerri Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood Silanon Silanon
The study will be my first stop to find it.
Luna reenters the Grand Pool triumphantly, not because the Summerset Wizard battled through any hardships, but because she is able to slip into the study, find Oscar's Crystal Ball, and leave without disturbing Otiorin and Bria in their quiet and very happy snuggle. In time, everyone who is not otherwise busy rounds up in the Grand Pool with Luna the center of attention.

How does Luna proceed?

Luna takes the crystal ball and plops down on a seat next to the pool and sets the ball in her lap. With a contented hum, she places her hands on the orb and and gives it a careful examination before deciding to cast Detect Magic on it in an effort to delve its operation.

Last edited:
Luna tries to focus, she really does. But after being jostled by kobolds and answering Powerpaw's repeated questions of, 'Are you done yet, Luna-face?' The frustrated mage closes her eyes and calmly says, "Everyone,i I don't mean to be rude, but I simply cannot study the proper use of this complex item in this chaos. If you will excuse me, I will delve into this in the quiet of my room and return when I'm done."

With that, she stands and sweeps her way out of the pool room to do her studying.

Oreleth does her best to suppress her chuckle at poor Luna's plight, but finds it is harder than she had originally anticipated. Instead, the elf lets out a snort and shakes her head. "Take all the time you need, miss Luna. After this much time, a few more minutes won't make a difference."

Luna tries to focus, she really does. But after being jostled by kobolds and answering Powerpaw's repeated questions of, 'Are you done yet, Luna-face?' The frustrated mage closes her eyes and calmly says, "Everyone,i I don't mean to be rude, but I simply cannot study the proper use of this complex item in this chaos. If you will excuse me, I will delve into this in the quiet of my room and return when I'm done."

With that, she stands and sweeps her way out of the pool room to do her studying.
Except that the Kobolds of the Silver Sun do not jostle the far-more-powerful heroine nor does Powerpaw become so impatient (See Adventurers' Table). Instead, cat that he is, he continues to try and impress to Mamapaw just how fun it was just now to munch down an entire roast turkey while Mamapaw simply watches him be the little boy he sometimes is. Her smile for him is as motherly as her namesake.
After taking the opportunity to remove herself to the Wayward Wagon's study, Luna has a heck of a time attempting to grasp how Oscar's Crystal Ball is to function, a struggle that might have aided with the use of a Detect Magic cantrip. Still, she is able to understand that physical contact with the crystal ball while mentally imagining the person with whom she is attempting contact with is imperative. With this knowledge complete in her mind, Luna finds the beautiful crystalline surface changing before her very eyes. She sees colors of white, green, and browns meandering and merging and distant sounds of... a man speaking?

If Luna wishes, she now believes she has the option of taking the magical orb out of the study and to the Grand Pool. Quietly, from her shoulder, Sparkle the Pseudo-dragon uncoils and raises her head. She has been watching the entire time, but unwilling to disrupt her Familiar's wizardly work, has remained unobtrusive as she so often is. Sparkle smiles up to Luna.

With Oscar's Crystal Ball now active, does Luna stay in the study or return to the Grand Pool? Sherwood Sherwood

Now that the orb is responding to her will, Luna returns to the grand pool room with a satisfied look on her face. "I have gotten the crystal ball working, so let's see if we can contact Oscar!"

Sitting back down at her chosen spot, Luna looks at the orb and says, "Dear Oscar, this is Luna Callen of the Wayward Wanderers. Can you hear me? We have need of your wisdom and we are hoping you can aid us."

Meanwhile, back in the Grand Pool, Powerpaw is making an equally grand attempt at impressing his mother with what he can do now that he's a bigger and stronger Kitty-face than the kit he used to be!

"Hey Mom! Lookit dis! I kin stuff a whole roast turkey in my face an' eat it too! Watch! GLARGH! GURFFF! GLACCK! CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH! GULP!"

Mamapaw's ears and tail fall low as her eyes narrow. "How very becoming of you, son," she sighs as the kobolds stop what they are doing and gawk.
Except that the Kobolds of the Silver Sun do not jostle the far-more-powerful heroine nor does Powerpaw become so impatient (See Adventurers' Table). Instead, cat that he is, he continues to try and impress to Mamapaw just how fun it was just now to munch down an entire roast turkey while Mamapaw simply watches him be the little boy he sometimes is. Her smile for him is as motherly as her namesake.

"A most...impressive talent." Alisa said from her position near the two felanes, politely declining to mention that such a skill was traditionally considered the domain of those considered 'rubes'. She was able to appreciate it a bit more after seeing Mamapaw give him her indulgent, motherly smile.

Now that the orb is responding to her will, Luna returns to the grand pool room with a satisfied look on her face. "I have gotten the crystal ball working, so let's see if we can contact Oscar!"

Sitting back down at her chosen spot, Luna looks at the orb and says, "Dear Oscar, this is Luna Callen of the Wayward Wanderers. Can you hear me? We have need of your wisdom and we are hoping you can aid us."

As Luna emerged with the crystal ball, Alisa sat up a little straighter in her chair. Aside from the fact that the Wayward Wanderers seemed to trust him, she knew little about this individual named Oscar, and part of her considered that she might be called upon to vouch for the kobolds, being a paladin and all that.

Kaerri-by-peritwinkle-sm.png

Art by Peritwinkle
Character sheet
Hit Points: 99/99
Armor Class: 27
Touch Armor Class: 17
Shadow Illusion: 3/3
Shadow Call: 2/2
Shadow Jump distance: 80/80 feet
Defensive Roll: 1/1
Rogue Talent Resiliency: 1/1
Stinger -- uses of Slow remaining: 3/3
Charm of Bastet -- uses of Cat's Grace remaining: 1/1
Action Points: 14

Note: this is after Kaerri returns to the pool room, including before Luna leaves, but before Luna has finished activating the crystal ball.

Kaerri watches Luna study the crystal ball, curious. She's about to ask one of the others what's going on when the mage flounces out of the room. The shadowdancer shakes her head, amused. "I don't know what she expected. Not like the room is empty. So, who's she calling, anyway? Did we decide on a plan while I was slicing cheese?"

Kaerri-by-peritwinkle-sm.png

Art by Peritwinkle
Character sheet
Hit Points: 99/99
Armor Class: 27
Touch Armor Class: 17
Shadow Illusion: 3/3
Shadow Call: 2/2
Shadow Jump distance: 80/80 feet
Defensive Roll: 1/1
Rogue Talent Resiliency: 1/1
Stinger -- uses of Slow remaining: 3/3
Charm of Bastet -- uses of Cat's Grace remaining: 1/1
Action Points: 14

Note: this is after Kaerri returns to the pool room, including before Luna leaves, but before Luna has finished activating the crystal ball.

Kaerri watches Luna study the crystal ball, curious. She's about to ask one of the others what's going on when the mage flounces out of the room. The shadowdancer shakes her head, amused. "I don't know what she expected. Not like the room is empty. So, who's she calling, anyway? Did we decide on a plan while I was slicing cheese?"

"From what I've heard, the plan is to contact someone in Highwind named Oscar, and ask if he can arrange permission for our kobold friends to take refuge within the city." Alisa answered.

Kaerri nodded. "I hadn't thought about that. Good idea. Oscar's on the royal council; he can if anyone can, I bet." She smiled. "And he's a nice guy, too. And brilliant. We'll just need to give him the full story. If he thinks there's a reason for them not to come in, it'll be a good one -- and even then he'll likely help us find somewhere they can be safe."

Kaerri nodded. "I hadn't thought about that. Good idea. Oscar's on the royal council; he can if anyone can, I bet." She smiled. "And he's a nice guy, too. And brilliant. We'll just need to give him the full story. If he thinks there's a reason for them not to come in, it'll be a good one -- and even then he'll likely help us find somewhere they can be safe."

Alisa smiled and nodded, happy to hear more about this Oscar fellow and how he could help out.

"If you don't mind me asking, how did this group come to know him?" she asked, feeling curious.

Oreleth pipes up with, "We got to know him as the Wanderers helped to reincarnate him into the form of a red panda after he died discovering how to end the war against Highwind. It was quite the adventure, where we were all cursed by Loviatar to be swapped into different bodies."

"I missed that part," Kaerri says, half-regretfully. Not that she wanted to be in someone else's body, but from what she'd heard, they'd had an interesting time along the way. "I've known him a little while on my own, though, or rather with my former party. We'd done the king and queen a few good turns and met several of the council at various times because of that."

Oreleth pipes up with, "We got to know him as the Wanderers helped to reincarnate him into the form of a red panda after he died discovering how to end the war against Highwind. It was quite the adventure, where we were all cursed by Loviatar to be swapped into different bodies."

"...I see." Alisa replied, being more than a little taken aback to learn that the group had first met Oscar under such fantastical circumstances. "That...must have been quite the adventure."

Bria of the Ko bounces in place as she hears this talk. "Ohhh, Miss Alisa! That's just the beginning! Oscar was the cuuutest little red panda! They don't even have red pandas on Averlund that I know of! Reincarnating Oscar into one is one of the biggest joys of my life. He's so smart, he reads whole books to himself!" Bria brightens at the memories. "Mister Bren and I know Oscar from waaay before that," the Ko monk says referring to Brendoran Killaneson (OOC: Kaerri's former Wayward Wanderer - see Characters). "Oscar is so brave that we found him off to go try and save Highwind all by himself! We had an adventure together where we all had to polymorph into little animals so we could sneak around? Bren was a puppy dog, I was a really soft kitty, and Oscar? Oh my. He turned into this thing I'd never heard of. It was like a duck but it wasn't. I think he called it... a platypus?" Bria proceeds to dig into her pouch for her journal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back