Votes: 15 35.7%
  • Dogs

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I prefer both

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • Both are awful and I hate them

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I hold a special place in my heart for cats, dogs are nice but…… My reaction to seeing any feline, even deadly ones, is just “CUDDLE!!”

I return for the great crusade against the dogs! Glory to the lion in the sky! These heretics present their lies! And I shall cleanse this place of them!

It is very clear that the cats have attained victory let this day be celebrated forever! Glory to the cats glory to the great lion!

I own a cat and she's evil and loves attacking my feet or slapping me at 3am because she's decided she wants to play fetch or is annoyed because she's fallen into the toilet and gotten all wet. I swear my cat is broken or something.

But I work with and love dogs!

Cats are evil spawns of Satan but when they show affection towards you it feels great and you feel loved whilst dogs are just these happy little weirdos so I'll have to go with both.

giphy.gif

I like both, but I like dogs better because they are just so lovable. I've been raised around dogs, my family hasn't been without one since I was 2.

Our first dog, Spartacus, was such a good boy.
He loved walks in the woods, he loved car rides, he hated the vet (as dog usually do), and he was a great guard dog.
He never wondered off too far. When it was cold or storming, we used to let him inside the house.
He hated thunder.
He was a very quiet dog while he was inside, and he was very well trained.
He and my dad used to wrestle.
He also liked to try and eat anything and everything. He got into a lot of tussles with skunks, however.
He liked to swim in our pond when we went out canoeing, I was always worried he would drown or get left behind. I would cry a lot if I couldn't find him.
He use to rip up any nice bed we got him, he especially liked the ones with feathers. We still have photos from when he ripped one open one time, our entire deck was covered with feathers! I thought that was a really fun night.
He got sick, though. Very sick. We tried everything we could, we visited the vet so many times, but he never got better. It got to the point where he was so irritable he began to snap at little kids. That's when we knew he was only going to get worse from there.

We put him down in the fall a few years back. That day was one of the worst days I'd ever experienced. My mom, my siblings and I went to the park so that my youngest sister wouldn't get upset. My older brother and my dad stayed with Sparty. When we got home later that evening, my older brother had locked himself in a room. Everyone cried that evening, my youngest sister not catching onto what was happening until the next day. I was stil struggling to accept it.
I cried myself to sleep that night and I woke up to hear my youngest sister calling out for Sparty to come back.

We have two other dogs now, both very sweet Great Pyrenees/Anatolian Shepherd dogs, a male and a female, half-siblings each a year apart. We love them both to death, but I still wish Sparty could have lived longer.

So, yeah, definitely dogs for me, however I do plan on getting at least two cats at some point in my life.

Oi, CrazyCat!

Wow, that was... WOW. Now dog people, tell me a great one I haven't heard before.

I've taken up your challenge.

1. Dogs are better as service animals. Have you ever heard of a police cat? A service cat (leading blind people, helping handicapped people get around, etc.)? That's one thing that's not only rare, but probably doesn't even exist. They can be therapy animals, but I haven't heard of much else.

2. A dogs bark has saved lives. Dogs bark mostly when playing and when danger approaches. Those are the only two reasons. I absolutely don't like when people try to train out of their dogs what is naturally their warning system for danger.

3. There are quite a few articles on dogs being smarter than cats. In fact, I found one on National Geographic that states dogs have more neurons than a cat--twice as many, in fact. therefore they can hold more in the ways of memory, and this also means they can experience a wider range of emotion.

4. There has been a recent discovery (not that recent, but still not an old one) that cats actually carry a parasite that changes the personality of their humans, and not for the better. Dogs, on the other hand, do not carry such a parasite. This is actually the reason pregnant women should not clean out litter boxes.

5. While cats come in different sizes, there isn't a lot of variation. Dogs, however, come in all different sizes. While the largest cat usually only gets up to 15-19 inches, dogs can go up to the size of a baby horse and can get down to the size of 5-9 inches. So dogs can either take up half the space of the room, or barely even half a foot. Depends on what breed you get.

6. Different breeds have different purposes. Cats are not bred to be in any way useful, at least from what I've learned about them. In fact, cats are mostly bred for the aesthetic more than for an actual useful purpose. As an example;
A Great Pyrenees dog; Bred to be able to herd , nurture, and protect livestock without much aid from humans while withstanding the frigid weathers of the mountains between France and Spain. In fact, they have an extra dewclaw on both of their hind legs in order to help them climb the mountain.
A British Short-hair cat; All I could find was information on the coat color. No significant purpose whatsoever.

7. Dogs change their facial expression based on how we speak to them and how we are feeling emotionally. Dogs are very emotive compared to cats, therefore more intelligent and more affectionate. I've not read one single thing about cats being able to change their facial expressions to match our emotions, nor have I ever seen a cat do so. Yes, they can sense emotion, but they do not seem to do it in such a way as dogs do it.

8. Cats do need regular grooming, just as any dog does. Just because they lick themselves does not make them fully clean. They need to be washed in pet safe soap and water just as most other mammalian house pets have to be. Hell, even pet hedgehogs have to be washed once in a while. It's to help keep both you and your pet healthy. While not cleaning your cat isn't exactly neglect, it's doesn't have any benefits for either pet or owner.

9. Dogs can be trained to do many things. This correlates with the fact that they can be service animals. Cats don't give a flying fuck what you say to them, they won't do anything. This is part of what makes them so funny, but this means they'll never get a chance to be able to sniff out criminals.

10. Dogs can be trained to sense illness, seizures, and cancer. In fact, some dogs aren't even trained. Dogs can sense when something is wrong, but with correct training can learn to respond to them in such a manner as to warn their owners.

11. Dogs are great with babies. Sure, some breeds aren't as safe (i.e. Pitt bulls), but there are many exceptions even with those breeds. Cats are like this quite often too, but they can be more irritable and therefore more likely to strike out if a baby rubs them the wrong way intentionally.

12. Dogs are not responsible for the wipe-out of multiple bird species. I understand that, yes, cats need to hunt to survive. But people are letting their domestic cats escape into the wild, where they don't need to kill to eat and therefore won't. In fact, most domestic cats only kill to play with their prey before leaving it.

13. There aren't dog over-population problems in most urban and sub-urban areas. Careless cat owners let their pets get out and breed with everything in sight, causing massive stray cat populations to grow out of control. This isn't the cat's fault, rather the owners, but it is due to the fact that cats are mostly independent creatures.

As per usual, it does come down to opinion, but to say that cats are better than dogs as you have described...it comes off more like you hate dogs rather than you just don't have a preference for them. I don't hate cats, I just love dogs more than I love cats, therefore I must defend their honor.

I have no preference, and am indifferent towards both. It’s still best to watch either animals lounge about at your friends’ house, than raise to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back