• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Cambion

dcentral

http://bit.ly/1vExLF1
Introduction:

In this world there are often things beneath the surface of what seems true. A shallow and reflective world is ours, but just like an icy lake, you may not return. Even if you do return your world would not seem similar, a different feeling, a sense of dread for the abyss that lies beyond the doors of ignorance. Beings beyond that which one might imagine possible, residing in a realm not constricted by the laws of ours. Though even knowing this, some are predisposed to ignorance, clinging to it like the teat of a mother. We are born witless and innocent, void of all knowledge. Our society says that this is the perfect form, to be as babe. Could not society be wrong? Could not the perfect form of man be one melded by his scars, his knowledge, his so called corruption? Maybe it is fear which drives our leaders toward the reverse of a natural progression. They fear progress and so they seek its enemy, regression. This is what creates an illusionary veil. This is what has determined our world.

What I am forced to present in this documentation is the truth, as horrid as the truth is want to be, and it will tear from you the blinds of naivete. That veil which shrouds mortal eyes can be destroyed, though its repair is beyond me. You were forewarned, and now it is only burdened upon me to exercise my knowledge and present what I know and learn here for your knowledge. Heed everything that I have mentioned, and light-hearted begone, there is no place for you in this place we claim as our own.

The first thing, which I must thrust upon you, it cannot be mentioned in this phrase, as it belongs among more chapters, and you would think me suffering from hysteria. Know I am fully serious in my knowledge, and I give no room to speculations. What I have seen here is all with my own eye, my own life has dealt me these things. Lastly, for my own self I hope I am a hysterical bastard, for all of our sakes.

The World:

Humans:

Though it may not appear it in the mortal world, humans are neither unique nor individual . There are two different types among them. The descendants of Seth and the descendants of Cain. Though you may have reason to believe this bears the bible correct, you will soon learn in this world that no religion is entirely correct as to the early origins of man, and his actions that shaped his future, not even I. As far as any blood relations to men named Seth and Cain, or even Abel, are unsure, but certain sources have given me these names as reference for the forms of man. I shall look at each before moving on.

The Descendants of Seth

These beings are average men, with mortal lives and human intellect. You are most likely one. They are jacks of most trades and masters of little. Only when a human devotes their life to a specific set of aptitudes to reach immense power in their world, but still may never be as good even with natural skill as a being born to harness such attributes. They need no description of form as they are so common. Though they may seem weak in this way they are not to be underestimated. With so many possible tools at their disposal a human may very well outcraft an unwary beast or demon. More impressive is their ability to change, though often making their spiritual forms restless and unfocused, allows them to adapt to situations and learn quickly. Though these descendants of Seth cannot physically see beyond the veil they all have an awareness to an unnatural presence. With assistance they may see beyond and know the truth, much like their relatives, the descendants of Cain.

The Descendants of Cain

These ilk are much rarer as time progresses, and what poisons their numbers is unknown. They seem as a regular human with a few exceptions. They are born branded with a triangle mark upon their body, often with varying location from person to person. They may not even notice this mark until late into life, but it is always present somewhere. Though they are human they possess the remnants of what can be called the Curse of Cain. The Curse is odd, in that the owners of the curse are plagued with an inhuman aura, most other humans would not be able to tell but any beast beyond the veil will notice immediately. This aura is created with some strange connection the descendants of Cain have with the veil itself, their souls having an equally strong spiritual presence to their physical bodies. With this the mystical powers of the veil and its essence flow in the blood of Cain, allowing sight through it, as well as a natural tap to the true spiritual height of human ability and power when a descendant needs it. Descendants seem to oddly poison some forms of life around them, never being able to tend farms or keep animals as their presence hinders smaller beings than humans in some way. Descendants of Cain also boast an odd ability that no other human can, and has been used to their advantage throughout time, the harnessing of demonic energy. All descendants of Cain have some form of demonic being attached to their spiritual form, usually relative to their spirit, and can call upon such demons power to aid them, though this requires training and knowledge of self. Most descendants simply use the basic gifts applied to them, as it was often handed down that those strong few who could wield their demonic energy, eventually ended up dying from its product. These beings have been labeled Cambions, and are considered a different creature from their kin whom stay this odd form of human. Lastly on descendants of Cain, though they possess a magical aptitude, they will never have the raw magical strength to become comparable to a descendant of Seth who follows the craft. It is unknown why, but Cain’s ilk are born more able to fight the threats that may come for them and ignore the more muted children of Seth. In the end though Seth’s brood increasingly outnumbers the descendants of Cain and Cain’s descendants threaten to disappear entirely since their large separation in the Eastern Middle Age.

Demons

This is where the world as we know it, gains a stark oddity. Demons are not all the same, nor even all similar. They come from a realm beyond even the one of spirit, and wonder easily into our spiritual plane. Through this plane they may sometimes pass through holes into ours. This is the essence of the veil, thin coverings that siphon their world from our spiritual one, and our spiritual world from every other one. Even in our world the veil obscures and hides demons that pass through. Some demons come small, and slip through cracks commonly, others are much larger and cause calamities, often tearing their way through with enough strength. Even worse are the ones that cannot pass through without assistance. Such demons are the kind that latch onto and feed on human souls. Often strong demons can communicate and sometimes bargain with humans, though most are malicious, some are not so. All demons are inherently dangerous, but few are totally evil, simply foreign in their goals and needs for life. Some of the strongest demons are forged to humans through ancient magics into beings known as Cambions. Just as demons can sense and hunt humans, so can humans hunt and sense them. Humans can feel the aura of demons, though modern humans may not know how to interpret it without experience. Humans also have great access with magic that can match weak to average demons. Most of the time a human encounters a demon and is able to comprehend its being, their innate magical potential will awaken and they will fight by will. Most recently though humans have long lost their knowledge of magic and so may be inexperienced against an average demon. Demons have many more specific forms, enough to justify sections dedicated to them, and to write books. I shall go over the basics in another area, but know that no matter their stature, they always pose some form of threat. Some are even pieces of larger threats, chunks of a whole entity that may pose a greater threat.

Cambions

These beings are a true marvel, a mixture of human spirit with that of a demon, working together as one entity, though not always. Only descendants of Cain have the necessary aptitude to fuse themselves with demons and retain themselves, and on a few rare occasions unwillingly on the part of the demon. Any descendant of Seth would normally find themselves overwhelmed and consumed by a demonic spirit strong enough to invade a human soul, but the descendants of Cain are more malleable to demonic energy and can retain themselves against a demon. Often times this is why a descendant of Cain does not become a Cambion, as most of the time they must bind a demon to themselves if one had not latched on at birth. This may all seem very confusing, as a binding is rare, but in truth many descendants do not bind on purpose. Some will find that their souls share a natural affinity to certain demons and their energy, often enticing and pulling a demon in to a young and uncontrolled Cambion, and sometimes if affinity is strong enough they will be pulled to an older individual. Of course binding can be forced with the help of powerful magic. What however keeps a demon attached, or even makes a demon coincide with a human? This answer is truly complicated. Accounts from Cambions themselves communicating with the demons inside them have told us however that, “Demons can die just as we do, but it is difficult. Demons that die alone are pushed back into a deep state of their realm and may take centuries to return. Demons however tie their life to ours in fusion, and so when a Cambion dies without a true preparation from the demon, as in a death from old age. the demon is thrown wherever the soul goes, sometimes never returning. In this form demons must help and protect their host wielders, but don’t necessarily have to like them or even want what they want. Sometimes demons will even attempt to tempt a wielder into weakness, and destroy their humanity until they turn into some foul beast not unlike a ghoul, making it easier for the demon to return as well.” Though these accounts come from ancient manuscripts and accounts, they are the most accurate thing we have to go on for now. Modern Cambions are even harder to find with the rarity of Cain’s descendants dwindling.

Angels

Though this word may evoke some idea of good, make no mistake that these creatures are no different than demons. In our realm, angels often present themselves as more pristine, mechanical, and pure than demons, but they too fair from an alien realm. Angels are technically little different from demons in the categories of danger and sometimes appearance. Angels give off a different aura and energy than demons, and are often more cooperative amongst themselves. Angels may present themselves as beneficial to humans, but their goals are unclear. They despise corruption of any amount in humans, the presence of demons also provokes ire from them. Normally they are harmless to children of Seth, and though they will not harm a descendant of Cain without being provoked, they harbor hate for all of them. As a Cambions aura is hidden and barely different from others kin of Cain, but should they be revealed an angel will attack. Under the mechanical and pristine look of angels is almost always an organic figure similar to the form of demons. Angels can be bargained with by descendants of Seth, but cannot be so easily bound like demons. An easy form of identifying an angel is a glowing halo, though cliche, and it often sits above the head. What separates demons and angels, both physically and spiritually is unclear.

All of this is still a work in progress, but I'm putting it here to see if there is any interest. As you can see the world itself is in the beginning stages of growing some complexity but it has a base and you can see some rudimentary writing from me to help set up the situation. This story is set in the modern day and players are expected to be either descendants of Seth who are introduced to the world or descendants of Cain who might even discover that they are Cambions, and find out about the world just beneath the surface of ours. Don't be afraid to say anything or provide some advice or help, as there is still a bit of work that needs to be done but I hope to make a well read and very fun RP!

This looks very interesting. A question. If I wanted to, not saying I do, could I be a "powerful" demon that is bound to some other player?

Nobody else is interested? That's odd. Perhals I know why, this is simply being swamped. Well, a quick bump by yours truely might fix that.

Maybe if I was desperate enough Beowulf, but otherwise the original intent was to make demons a sort of contrasting force to a Cambion, being helpful and usually on their side for the sake of teamwork and survival, but also with their own ulterior motives and maybe even mostly trying to tempt their Cambion, depending on the demon and binder. Though I know that's a little sad, it is mostly due to the fact that demons 1. might not get a full speaking role until a Cambion grows in tune enough to understand their own demon and 2. Most demons have a pretty good knowledge of how spirits and the realms work, something only I have any idea about right now, but like I said co-authors are welcome if they show enough ability.

But I do like the attention to detail with "powerful" because a major idea is that, the ones who can even barely make it here because of their strength, still have to make it out of their home world, so their is the possibility of eventually getting a glimpse of the true power scale, but I don't feel comfy totally disclosing how strong demons can really get given enough resources. Just know that Cambions are also intended to train so that their demon acquires more power and they get more experience, because it WILL be needed to face a few of the things in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back