Anime & Manga Calling All Magical Girl Genre Fans, What is Your Favorite Magical Girl Anime?

SimplyNene

MY👹LEGS💀ARE🤬NOT🤧DAIKON🔫LEGS😭GOT✨IT💃🏾
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Me personally, Cardcaptor Sakura,Puella Magi Madoka Magica,Sailor Moon and Kill La Kill but out of all those cardcaptor sakura is number 1 for me

View attachment 1082607

yes sailor moon is a classic i dont like the crystal version tho- just no some things abt crystal r good some r bad...(that cgi-)
I have to say Sailor moon I’m a simp for Uranus and Neptune.

Usagi tsukino’s body proportions is so odd in Crystal.
i love how it follows the manga but the artstyle and the weird cgi- at least eternal had a better art style

Princess TuTu was my first magical girl anime and by gosh will it always be my number one anime of all time ❤️🩰❤️ though Revolutionary Girl Utena is also pretty high on the list!

Counting only things which explicitly (or pretty explicitly) feature magical girls (Kill la Kill for instance doesn't count under this criteria), I've compiled a small list of stuff I've watched/read. The list is not comprehensive, not only because I may have missed something, but I also omitted things like AU OVAs, magical girl series non-cannon spin-offs and a couple other things. I also condensed series into single names, but they can have multiple entries.

Magical Girl Anime
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha + ViVid Strike! (I consider these two to be the same series)
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magika
Fate/Prisma Illya
Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku
Mahou Shoujo Site
Mahou Shoujo Nante Mou Ii desu kara.
Mahou Shoujo Tokushusen Asuka
Ore, Twintail ni Narimasu.
Soushin Shoujo Matoi
Tokyo Mew Mew New
Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru
Cardcaptor Sakura (On Hold)
Shugo Chara! (On Hold)
Mahou Shoujo Magical Destroyers (currently watching)

Magical Girl Manga
MajiTora
Magical Girl Kakeru
Looking Up to Magical Girls
The Life After Retirement of Magical Girls
He is a Magical Girl
Ore To Hero To Mahou Shoujo
The Exploding Girl (Webcomic)
Bokura wa Mahou Shounen
Can she become a magical girl even ××? (I want to make it clear cause this title can be a bit misleading, this is a story about a Granmother who becomes a magical girl. The XX is in the original unstranslated title as well, but seems it's either deliberately there to hide the events (strange because the cover gives it away) or it's somehow referring to something like "even after X age" or "even after retirement" or something along those lines, I reckon)
Mahou Shoujo Pretty Bell
Oto x Maho

Anime and Manga Featuring Important Characters as Magical Girls, but aren't Themselves Magical Girl Shows
Kore Wa Zombie Desu Wa
Re:Creators
Jahy-Sama
Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!
Hero Cooperation Union Exchange Bulletin Board

Of these, my favorites would be:
  1. Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha (+Vivid Strike)
  2. Looking Up to Magical Girls
  3. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
  4. Ore, Twintail ni Narimasu
  5. Fate/Prisma Illya
  6. Yuuki Yuuna Wa Yuusha de Aru
  7. The Life After Retirement of Magical Girls

I also want to give a special mention of the magical girl in Re:Creators, Kirameki Mamika. Her evolution as a character, both in what she comes to realize and how she changes in response are to me truly exemplary of the potential of Re:creator's premise and of its themes.

Sailor Moon, because it was my first magical girl anime.
And Madoka, because it was so unusual.
Also Magic Knight Rayearth, because I'm a fan of old CLAMP works and I'm biased. I enjoyed Cardcaptor Sakura as well but never watched anime, only read manga.

Cardcaptor Sakura was my very first, so I will love it forever!

I think my very favorite might be Puella Magi Madoka Magica, though. I just got so attached to all the girls, the music and visuals were gorgeous, it made me feel invested all the way through every single episode, and it made me cry.

Call me basic, idc. Sailor moon 1991 is my girl and I love her.

Oooh! I have three:
- Madoka Magica
-Sailor Moon (Original)
-Magical Girl Raising Project

There's alot. I don't think I can label em all.

But I do like alot of the more sci fi high tech styles of Magical Girls
(Like Symphogear and nanoha)

Tbh the only magical girl anime I've watched is Little Witch Academia, but I did like it

Tbh the only magical girl anime I've watched is Little Witch Academia, but I did like it

I mean, I don't think Little Witch Academia is a magical girl anime. Granted it probably meets the literal definition if there is such a thing, but Magical Girl / Mahou Shoujo is a particular genre of anime with its own conventions which LWA neither meets nor even aspires to meet. LWA is a magical school anime and the characters happen to be girls, but magical girls as a concept are something more specific than that.

Oooooh, my bad....
I mean, I don't think Little Witch Academia is a magical girl anime. Granted it probably meets the literal definition if there is such a thing, but Magical Girl / Mahou Shoujo is a particular genre of anime with its own conventions which LWA neither meets nor even aspires to meet. LWA is a magical school anime and the characters happen to be girls, but magical girls as a concept are something more specific than that.

Ahh! I have so many! I personally adore Futari wa Precure (Pretty Cure), Ojamajo Doremi (Magical DoReMi), and Tokyo Mew Mew! 💖

Users who are viewing this thread

Back