• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom Boku No Hero Academia: The Persephone Initiative (Open)

AtlannianSpy

Alarmed and Strangerous
This is not a story about Heroes...

---Interest Thread(you are here)---OOC thread---Character Thread---IC---​

In this world 80% of the population possess what are known as quirks, unique and extraordinary abilities that would otherwise be impossible. Naturally those who posses quirks express the full scale of human variability. They appear in every industry and human endeavor and some rare few commit to using their quirks to protect the weak and maintain order and justice, becoming what we call heroes.

This is not a story about them, there are enough of those already. It isn't a story about ordinary people with quirks either although there could stand to be more of those. This is a story about misfits who, despite their extraordinary abilities and the potential within them to do good, could find no place for themselves within society. These misfits turned to crime, perhaps out of desperation, perhaps out of anger at the world that seemed not to care for them, and ended up in prison. These young lives, filled with so much promise, seem doomed to waste away some of their best years in jail.

However the world may have need of these misfits yet. Heroes, those who walk in the light, are not the only group who protect people. There are those who watch over us in secret, dealing with the threats that do not surface during the day. These mysterious guardians have extended one, final chance to our misfits. It won't be easy, nor will it be safe and the world at large will still think of them as criminals. But for those willing to risk it there's a shot at redemption waiting for them in the shadows...

OOC Information
Hello there! This is an idea I've been kicking around for a while in one form or another, eventually I came to feel that it would work pretty well in the BNHA universe so here we all are. I mean I am at least, hopefully you will be too. The premise is relatively straightforward, several juvenile delinquents currently serving out prison sentences are contacted by a secretive government organization known as the Persephone Initiative. The initiative wants these teenage convicts to go undercover to root out a sinister group known only as Laughing Dog targeting young people with quirks. In exchange for their help the teenagers will receive full pardons and have their records erased, essentially giving them a clean slate.

Of course there is one, minor complication. The Persephone Initiative is secret, they can't simply order the prison to release their recruits in case it tips off a contact of the villains. In order to infiltrate Laughing Dog you'll need some serious street cred so if you want to join the initiative then you'll have to escape from prison first.

Overall this is intended to be slightly darker than the original series but not excessively so. Yes the characters involved have strayed somewhat from the right path but the RP is ultimately intended to be about redemption and them doing the right thing. In addition to serious moments of drama there'll be plenty of room for lighter hearted moments to breathe in and room to develop your character's personality and relationships.

Character Information
The Persephone Initiative is looking to hire a fairly specific sort of person in order to infiltrate Laughing Dog. The cabal recruits heavily from quirk holding teenagers who are disaffected or disadvantaged in society, those who don't have many opportunities and are attracted to revolutionary ideas, those who don't have a strong support network to discourage them from doing risky things or widen their perspective.

The people they recruit range from 14 to 19, have committed crimes but aren't unstable enough to be truly reprehensible, or considered dangerous enough to warrant the attention of high level heroes. In short they are looking for potential rather then fully fledged villains. They seem to prefer to avoid overly unstable types, serial killers or other unhinged personalities need not apply.

The Persephone Initiative uses a twenty point scale of five different values to rate potential agents, this scale was originally developed to categorize heroes but has been found adequate for use in this capacity as well.

Power: One's ability to exert strength and impact enemies and the environment. High power heroes have powerful, flashy quirks and deal a lot of damage but physical strength can play into it as well.

Agility: One's ability to maneuver quickly and freely. High agility heroes often have quirks that boost their speed or allow them to do things like fly or swim efficiently but it is also influenced somewhat by overall athleticism

Endurance:
One's ability to remain in the fight, despite taking damage and exerting oneself. High endurance heroes often have defensive quirks but it also refers to overall stamina and the ability to go on fighting and continuously using one's quirk. Someone who takes damage but can continue to fight will also have high endurance.

Finesse: One's ability to perform precise or subtle actions. High finesse heroes may lack raw power but can use their quirks to handle delicate actions, like handling complex machinery or picking up sensory information. The initiative also uses this stat to encompass a hero's ability to go undetected or perform useful actions unnoticed.

Technique: Technique is a measure of supplementary but desirable skills not necessarily related to one's quirk. This can include all manner of things such as martial arts, interpersonal skills, computer hacking, survival skills, vehicle proficiency and so on. The important thing is that the skills are useful in terms of the heroe's line of work. Technique also encompasses a heroe's skill with weaponry or supplementary equipment.

Character's recruited by the initiative will have a base score of five in each category and then a further ten points to allocate freely for a total of thirty points. However considering the relative inexperience of these recruits, it's impossible to have a single score above ten and the Initiative won't consider anyone with a 0 in any one stat. A full Character Sheet will go up within the next couple of days, outlining all the information required. Well I think that's it for now, introduce yourself here if you're at all interested and we can see about getting things up and running within the next week or so.

Last edited:
Sounds Promising! There'll have to be some limitations of some kind sorted out once we get to that stage but it seems like a good starting concept.

Looks interesting.
Thinking about making a character that focuses on endurance and dealing damage.
He could be an underground boxer who got caught up in a gang fight.

Looks interesting.
Thinking about making a character that focuses on endurance and dealing damage.
He could be an underground boxer who got caught up in a gang fight.

Sounds interesting. I'm working on getting things set up now so the OOC and CS should be up today or tomorrow.

Thinking of basing my character off one I've made for another BNHA RP, essentially being a human volcano. Easily have plenty of avenues to have them steer into a more shady, negative area in life to end up locked away.

Cool concept. Interested!

Currently I'm thinking of a pressure manipulation quirk for a character who grew up in the BNHA equivalent of the slums. Basically, he was exposed to crime at a young age and grew up surrounded by acts of violence and injustice. He simply doesn't understand the concepts of righteousness, and thus ends up in the prison.

Whaddya think?

Thinking of basing my character off one I've made for another BNHA RP, essentially being a human volcano. Easily have plenty of avenues to have them steer into a more shady, negative area in life to end up locked away.

Yeah I can see that working well, I'm picturing anger issues?

Cool concept. Interested!

Currently I'm thinking of a pressure manipulation quirk for a character who grew up in the BNHA equivalent of the slums. Basically, he was exposed to crime at a young age and grew up surrounded by acts of violence and injustice. He simply doesn't understand the concepts of righteousness, and thus ends up in the prison.

Whaddya think?

I like the personality stuff. How exactly would pressure manipulation work? It sounds interesting but depending on the implementation could be difficult to balance.

Yeah I can see that working well, I'm picturing anger issues?

There would be some anger issues, yes, though more than just 'grrr I'm angry because angst and edgy youth stuff'. She'd have questions to her identity in the current world, where she belonged, what her future holds, how her quirk defines her or possibly how she doesn't wish it to define her,etc etc

AtlannianSpy AtlannianSpy

I have two ideas planned to limit the quirk:

The first is that the user of the quirk is only able to manipulate the pressure of the area around inanimate material (exceptions will be made for the character itself. I have things planned such as a super jump or something where he will increase the pressure at the soles of his feet and suddenly release, therefore releasing an outburst of energy (?))

The second limitation is that the user may only manipulate material in a very close proximity of him. Maybe like two arms length away in every direction?

If you have any other suggestions, I'm all open.

That sounds good at this stage. Bear in mind that things like the amount of pressure he can exert, how quickly he can increase pressure and how much he can use the quirk overall will be governed by stats like power and endurance. Of course those can be increased over the course of the rp as your character grows.

Attention: While working on the CS I decided to lower everyone's starting points from thirty five to thirty. Basically this is to give you guys more room to grow and to make initial allocation a bit more of a dilemma. I want you guys to feel like you can't do everything you want right away so that you're more excited about the first couple of stat ups you get.

EDIT: The OOC and Character threads are now up! You can find the links below. I'm going to turn in for the night so I won't be available until tomorrow to answer questions but I'll hopefully see you all then.

---OOC thread---Character Thread---

Last edited:
I have an idea for a character, but their power is making scoring a bit difficult. How it works is he creates a "virtual" body to control. This body pretty much acts like a hologram, being intangible and only able to interact with machines, but since a power of 0 isn't allowed do I just put 1 even though 0 is the real answer? I'll try and get as much of the sheet finished as I can now and put it up for you evaluate.

Good question. While a character's quirk is usually the predominant factor in determining their stats, other attributes can come into play as well such as overall athleticism, dexterity or in the case of power, raw strength. Some quirks, like Eijiro's hardening, are only destructive when combined with physical strength and some heroes, like Deku early on, rely physical strength when their quirk is unusable or impractical.

So even though you're looking at a quirk that doesn't give you any power you could still acquire some through just being strong. A one would be someone average or below average even compared to the general populace but if you were especially strong you could easily have a 2 or 3 and more experienced characters could maybe push that even higher.

It's the same for all of the stats by the way, someone who is fast and flexible can push themselves above a 1 in agility even without a movement related quirk, someone who is physically and mentally tough can have more than 1 endurance.

Hard at work on the sheet now. I'll try to have it up soon despite the best efforts of terrible formatting and mother nature's temper tantrum breathing down my neck.

great! If you don't get everything sorted out don't stress too much, we can wait a while for everyone to get ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back