• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Bioshock Series

Pat

Three Thousand Club
image.jpeg

I've been researching lore and writing for a Bioshock RP (set in a variety of time periods of either the city of Rapture or the city of Columbia) these past few weeks. If anyone is interested in the idea, please vote in the poll above after skimming through the possible (you may suggest your own if you like) eras or even alternate versions of Columbia and Rapture below. Be warned, Columbia might be a bit different, (unless you gents and dames express your desire to keep it the same) I will probably add a few extra enemies, plasmids/vigors, ect, and finally, this will probably (unless everyone wants otherwise) be resource management based but not be turn based. Players can join as both canon and noncanon characters (aside from individuals such as Andrew Ryan, possibly Comstock, Jack, Sigma, and Delta. However I would like it if y'all expressed your opinion about the topic below if you have the time. This RP will begin weeks to a maximum of two months from now, but it can be accelerated a little if someone wants by private messaging me and offering their help. You won't be a GM, but you might know a little more lore than the rest.

Rapture: 1958. "Spare a brother an EVE?" Struggle for control of Rapture in the few short months before the crippling 1958 New Year's Eve Riots and the beginning of the end of the city's sanity as a femme fatale seeks the services of an ex-Pinkerton private-eye to find a missing girl.

Rapture: 1960. "Is it someone new?" Fight to survive the crumbling underwater dystopia of Rapture years after the end of the genetic arms race and civil war that tore the city asunder as a mysterious super soldier arrives at the behest of an unknown master.

Rapture: 1968. "Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage." Rapture has slowly succumbed to the call of the sea in the decade since it's collapse. Ryan and Fontaine are long dead, and now those left behind struggle to fight a new authority that has risen to power in their absence.

Rapture: 1970. "Rapture was just the beginning." The world now knows about Rapture, yet not enough to stay away. Dismissed as crackpot conspiracy theories by the United States and Soviet Union, they discretely send small special forces teams to excavate the fallen underwater city in the hopes of using ADAM to put an end to the Cold War and dominate the globe.

Columbia: 1912. "Columbia's burning Mister, can't you smell the smoke?" Battle in the clouds for the very soul of Columbia in the handful of weeks before the peace-shattering Monument Island Bombing of 1912.

(Columbia will unfortunately have to be dramatically rewritten, although it will still remain familiar in some key aspects. In my opinion the story distanced itself too much from the effects of Vigors and ADAM on society, dumbed down the real conflict between the Vox Populi and the Founders, and focused too much on Tears and the story of Elizabeth. Don't get me wrong, it was a great game, but it might not have been the best Bioshock game. Personally, I think the whole idea of alternate universes should be scrapped and that the technology in Columbia, rather than being stolen from different time periods and Rapture, should be developed there by the Luteces and perhaps another scientist character. Please provide your opinion on this, as it will influence me greatly.)

Columbia: 1914. "Another Ark, for another time." It's been two years since the Vox Populi bombed Monument Island, and two years since the beginning of the Finkton Riots and the start of the Columbian Civil War. Vigor Junkies prowl the streets for their next fix, and at long last it appears the end of Daisy Fitzroy's and Comstock's feud is in sight.

Last edited:
Might be interested if someone else joins. Bioshock RPs bring back many fond memories for me, it was a bioshock RP that first introduced me to roleplaying many moons ago....

Might be interested if someone else joins. Bioshock RPs bring back many fond memories for me, it was a bioshock RP that first introduced me to roleplaying many moons ago....
I'll continue lore where I left off then. If you have any potentially interested friends, send them here.

Also, I picked 1912 Columbia because I definitely agree with your re-write. The problem, however, comes with the fact that you really can't get rid of the Tears as a plot device. Firstly, because they are a product of the Luteces' invention and then secondly because it's impossible to have Vigors without them as ADAM is only harvestable from sea slugs (and if you haven't noticed there is a dramatic shortage of sea slugs in the air above Maine).

I agree, however, that the concept of alternate universes should be scrapped entirely. This does produce a problem, as the Luteces are alternate versions of the same person, Comstock is an alternate version of Booker, etc. The Luteces are easily remedied, they could just be natural identical twins. The Comstock/Booker thing on the other hand is more difficult.

Thus to remedy this whole situation, the Luteces' machine is a time-and-space teleportation device (like the TARDIS) but time is linear and there are no alternate universes. Thus there is no Booker, Elizabeth is merely Comstock's daughter naturally born on Columbia (or never born at all). This still allows the Luteces to steal ADAM from Rapture but does not allow for alternate universe shenanigans.

Furthermore, I agree there should be a more nuanced portrayal of the civil war. For instance, the Vox Populi would be riven with internal strife as Irish and Italian Catholics would be disdained by blacks, Protestants, or anarcho-communists amongst the Vox. Similarly, there would be conventional Protestants among the Founders who doubted the divinity of Comstock. There would also likely be some sort of mafia that emerged if the authorities decided to clamp down on Vigor usage with a prohibition. Things of that nature.

Also, I picked 1912 Columbia because I definitely agree with your re-write. The problem, however, comes with the fact that you really can't get rid of the Tears as a plot device. Firstly, because they are a product of the Luteces' invention and then secondly because it's impossible to have Vigors without them as ADAM is only harvestable from sea slugs (and if you haven't noticed there is a dramatic shortage of sea slugs in the air above Maine).

I agree, however, that the concept of alternate universes should be scrapped entirely. This does produce a problem, as the Luteces are alternate versions of the same person, Comstock is an alternate version of Booker, etc. The Luteces are easily remedied, they could just be natural identical twins. The Comstock/Booker thing on the other hand is more difficult.

Thus to remedy this whole situation, the Luteces' machine is a time-and-space teleportation device (like the TARDIS) but time is linear and there are no alternate universes. Thus there is no Booker, Elizabeth is merely Comstock's daughter naturally born on Columbia (or never born at all). This still allows the Luteces to steal ADAM from Rapture but does not allow for alternate universe shenanigans.

Furthermore, I agree there should be a more nuanced portrayal of the civil war. For instance, the Vox Populi would be riven with internal strife as Irish and Italian Catholics would be disdained by blacks, Protestants, or anarcho-communists amongst the Vox. Similarly, there would be conventional Protestants among the Founders who doubted the divinity of Comstock. There would also likely be some sort of mafia that emerged if the authorities decided to clamp down on Vigor usage with a prohibition. Things of that nature.
I planned on some sort of creature in the sky, possibly something like a crow, to solve the sea slug problem, but I'll factor in your input anyway for the possibility of a Columbia RP. I also planned for Comstock to be an entirely different person, the Lutece twins to be legit twins, for Anna to be some kidnapped baby, ect, but if you prefer the option you've put forward I'll pursue that when writing lore.

If you want a Columbian RP though I would suggest somehow finding others interested in the same era as you to vote.

I planned on some sort of creature in the sky, possibly something like a crow, to solve the sea slug problem, but I'll factor in your input anyway for the possibility of a Columbia RP. I also planned for Comstock to be an entirely different person, the Lutece twins to be legit twins, for Anna to be some kidnapped baby, ect, but if you prefer the option you've put forward I'll pursue that when writing lore.
I think it makes a bit more sense anyways. Considering I don't think there's any need to change the character of Comstock, just prevent Booker from existing at all. Furthermore, the reason Columbia floats at all is because of the Luteces' experimentation with quantum field theory (or something like that) which lends credence to the TARDIS-like machine theory. I think the idea that there is a species of crow that also contains ADAM is a bit hard to believe ( to be fair the whole idea is a bit far-fetched) altgough that would make the Order of the Ravens make a little more sense.

I think it makes a bit more sense anyways. Considering I don't think there's any need to change the character of Comstock, just prevent Booker from existing at all. Furthermore, the reason Columbia floats at all is because of the Luteces' experimentation with quantum field theory (or something like that) which lends credence to the TARDIS-like machine theory. I think the idea that there is a species of crow that also contains ADAM is a bit hard to believe ( to be fair the whole idea is a bit far-fetched) altgough that would make the Order of the Ravens make a little more sense.
That there is a species of slug that also contains ADAM is a bit hard to believe as well.
I'm fine with whatever. My idea for a character works in both settings.
Understood. I'll weigh the two options personally.

The Order of the Ravens made sense to me, it was just that they were too much of a wasted opportunity. They're like those ridiculous secret college societies but with an actual purpose. However the distinction that they were actually a paramilitary group and not under the direct control of the Founders police and military forces was never clearly made, despite after some exploration obviously clear.

That there is a species of slug that also contains ADAM is a bit hard to believe as well.

Understood. I'll weigh the two options personally.
I also just had the thought that you might keep the character of Booker as he is depicted in Burial at Sea. You could say he was a distant cousin of Comstock, of even an unrelated character altogether.

Like in this mindset I'm having Rapture does not exist in the same universe as Columbia. They're entirely separate in everything but similarities.

I also just had the thought that you might keep the character of Booker as he is depicted in Burial at Sea. You could say he was a distant cousin of Comstock, of even an unrelated character altogether.
I think it'll likely end up as him being the father of the baby girl Comstock 'kidnapped' from the sodom below.

The entire thing with Slate might have to be reevaluated as a consequence of that decision though.

Like in this mindset I'm having Rapture does not exist in the same universe as Columbia. They're entirely separate in everything but similarities.
This makes more sense. Also considering if Columbia had existed, Ryan might have thought twice before building Rapture.

This makes more sense. Also considering if Columbia had existed, Ryan might have thought twice before building Rapture.
Given the kind of man Andrew Ryan is it would have only made him want to pursue his dream even more than he did.

My idea for my character is essentially a morally dubious Catholic priest, a basically decent man with several severe vices. In the Rapture setting, he would likely have been an early agitator against Ryan using influence with the dock workers and Rapture's poor and would likely have been on Atlas's side until at least much later in the civil war. In the Columbia setting, he would most likely have been opposed to the Founders and the Vox Populi, and likely a fugitive from both groups.

My idea for my character is essentially a morally dubious Catholic priest, a basically decent man with several severe vices. In the Rapture setting, he would likely have been an early agitator against Ryan using influence with the dock workers and Rapture's poor and would likely have been on Atlas's side until at least much later in the civil war. In the Columbia setting, he would most likely have been opposed to the Founders and the Vox Populi, and likely a fugitive from both groups.
Remember that even having a Bible was a hanging offense in Rapture and Ryan wouldn't have let the character in if he knew about his Catholicism. For Columbia, the Vox Populi likely would've tolerated him at worst. Something else you should note is that canon characters are not necessarily canon depending on what people want.

Is he Irish?

Remember that even having a Bible was a hanging offense in Rapture and Ryan wouldn't have let the character in if he knew about his Catholicism. For Columbia, the Vox Populi likely would've tolerated him at worst. Something else you should note is that canon characters are not necessarily canon depending on what people want.

Is he Irish?
Probably Irish or Anglo-American. The general backstory is that he was a priest but was derobed amidst allegations of sexual impropriety. He traveled to Rapture (or Columbia) and therein knowing that no one would know he had been striped of his authority, he began preaching again. And yes, in Rapture he would also have been an underground figure although probably not actively hunted by the police as there were bigger fish to fry. Additionally, the death penalty for smuggling wasn't enacted until after the civil war started, so early on I dont think you would have been killed for having a Bible, merely accosted or perhaps jailed.

Also, remember that the Vox are commies and commies hate organized religion (and Catholics also hate communism).

Also, remember that the Vox are commies and commies hate organized religion (and Catholics also hate communism).
They were a bit different from normal communists, I think their oppression in society was the primary concern, and then their economic situation came second. They might not end up as communists anyway. I believe the original motivations of the Vox Populi focused on something other than just race.

They were a bit different from normal communists, I think their oppression in society was the primary concern, and then their economic situation came second. They might not end up as communists anyway. I believe the original motivations of the Vox Populi focused on something other than just race.
I think the Vox mere motivated primarily by revenge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back