• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea: Black Crusade, Hive Mutant Edition

Thief of Words

Archivist for Hire
DarkHeresy_HiveWorld_MarkMolnar.jpg

HIVE PELAGIC, PLANET SANGUINIA

One of the trio of hive cities which cover much of the surface of the largely oceanic Hive World Sanguinia, Hive Pelagic, unlike its sister hive Firma, was not built upon one of the rare stretches of actual landmass which the prometheum-rich world contained. No, originally established as a refinery and drilling center for the then Mars-held governance of the world, Pelagic was instead sunk beneath the planets waves, down to the very seabed and then built up from there. Instead of the typical atmospheric spires, the hive instead reaches up to just above the surface of the ocean, where its upper echelons contain vast landing and port facilities, as well as the homes of the very wealthiest of the hive's nobility. It only those few who ever see the light of true day upon the world, the rest go without the view of the vast expanses of water and sky, tinged red from the red giant star which lights the system and for which the planet was named.

Most residents of the sunken city reside in deep, blue-tinged corridors lit largely by the ancient, and flickering light of millenia-old lumen strips and flambeaux. Far down within the abyssal depths of the ancient hive, beneath even the fringe-settlements lay communities of souls unlike the teeming billions of Imperial citizens living above them. Whether as a result of exposure to contaminant by-products of the planet's industries, the lingering effect of warp-taint, or just a matter of heredity, these unfortunates had the ill fortune to be mutants, fit only to be purged from existance in the eyes of most Imperial faithful.

You are just such mutants. You dwell there, monsters of the deep, feared and shunned by the society which drove you out. For many, birth into that realm is a a guide to a life which is nasty, brutish, and short. But perhaps not you. For just as your home creaks and rumbles with the passing of the deep-sea currents, the threads of your fates thrum with the echoes of the laughter of thirsting gods. But do they laugh with you? At you? At your victims? That is between you and the gods of Chaos, for none other may fathom their ineffable plans.

For you are deep within the depths of the hive, and here be monsters and worse besides.

WHAT IS THIS?:

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea is a game of Black Crusade in which the players will take on the roles of hive mutants within Hive Pelagic. The setting will be drawn in part from a number sources, perhaps most notably Necromunda and the Bioshock series.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm absolutely in.

[dice]3511[/dice]

[dice]3512[/dice]

You begin play with the options of having 1: the Steel-hearted or Boneless or Burning Body Gift and 2: the Tail or Tentacle Gift of the Gods. As everyone begins play Unaligned, you may (if you wish) reroll your results and modify by starting infamy bonus (which is typically 2 for starting characters, I believe).

Well then, I think I'll keep the first seleciton, as to the second, I'll re-roll.

[dice]3517[/dice]

So tempting to taking the Flaming Skull just for the visual even if it tanks Felloship like crazy.

Crocodile said:
Well then, I think I'll keep the first seleciton, as to the second, I'll re-roll.
[dice]3517[/dice]

So tempting to taking the Flaming Skull just for the visual even if it tanks Fellowship like crazy.
Ooh. That's an interesting spot to land on.

Your options there are Illusion of Normalcy, Flaming Skull, Headless, and Icon of Blasphemy.

In other words you can be "mutant, what mutant?", "MY HEAD IS ON FIYAH!!!". "Wot's an 'ead?", or "READ MY TATTOOS AND WEEP!"

Its so tempting to take more subtle things. The music with the Bioshock link and the underwater city make me horribly consider wanting to play a character like Sander Cohen.

Crocodile said:
Its so tempting to take more subtle things. The music with the Bioshock link and the underwater city make me horribly consider wanting to play a character like Sander Cohen.
It's called the Apostate Archetype. If you took the Illusion of Normalcy, you could totally pull that off.

Hmmm, its a debate between Steel-Hearted and Illusion of Normality Apostate vs Steel-Hearted and Flaming Skull Psyker.

Yeah, wanted to figure that out since I'd seem a bit too normal with the one.

I'm pretty sure I'd be interested! Trying to broaden my horizons a bit.

[dice]3584[/dice]

[dice]3585[/dice]

Well, you have the options of 1: Limb Loss or Magnificent Horns; and 2: Tentacle or Vampiric Addiction. Unless you wish to reroll one or both of those.

Selecting Vampiric Addiction and Chaos Organ.

I think I want to stave off selecting the particulars, but I'll keep in mind that I'm selecting between Natural Weapons, Heightened Senses (any), and Unnatural Characteristic (+1) (any). That'll be a difficult one, and I'd rather wait until we've got a clearer idea of what kind of mutants we have.

I'll take Vampiric Addiction! Gonna reroll the other.

[dice]3617[/dice]

If there's still space going, I'd definitely be up for this! Just got hold of the rulebook, so have everything I need now

@Hellkite's first roll is Pervasive Miasma, Projectile Attack, or Grossly Fat.

Also, Hellkite, you should totally go for Vampiric Addiction along with me and VisionImp.

Victoria_Laurent_and_James.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back