News BETA: HTML Is here! (Big Code Update) Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone happen to know if there are any html codes to create columns? 

I don't know if this is what you mean, but you can use div for creating column by adjusting the width and make it float left/right.

/*CSS here*/
.column {
width:30%;
float:left;
margin-right:10px;
background-color:#ebebeb;
}

First column here

Second column here

Code:
<p>

</p>

<style type="text/css">
.column {
}
</style>

<div class="column-wrapper" style="overflow:hidden;">
	<div class="column">
		<p>
			First column here
		</p>
	</div>

<div class="column">
		<p>
			Second column here
		</p>
	</div>
</div>

Last edited by a moderator:
Also this goes with out saying any HTML or CSS that targets site elements to alter the way the site looks is not allowed, this is not myspace or neopets, we expect users to contain their coding to their posts.

View full announcement

I have a question regarding this.  What about modifying of parent elements for say things like spoilers and accordions and such; changing font, color, size, etc.  It's not directly changing the site directly, just the formatting of these elements.  I'm just curious as to what you mean by changing site elements since I've not done this stuff on neopets or myspace (never used those sites).

I have a question regarding this.  What about modifying of parent elements for say things like spoilers and accordions and such; changing font, color, size, etc.  It's not directly changing the site directly, just the formatting of these elements.  I'm just curious as to what you mean by changing site elements since I've not done this stuff on neopets or myspace (never used those sites).

It more refers to changing the way the site itself looks. As for changing accordions and such, it's pretty much impossible to do so anyway, although you can create your own with your own code.

Don't touch the site's appearance, i.e. font, background, layout, etc... and you should be fine.

Question: if you code something that accidentally changes the site's appearance, is hiding it enough to get rid of the effect or do you have to actually go in and delete all the code?

You would need to fix it, yeah. It would still show up to Staff, or in Hosted Projects would still show up for the GM. Heck, it might even affect the site for all users, I'm not 100% sure.

It more refers to changing the way the site itself looks. As for changing accordions and such, it's pretty much impossible to do so anyway, although you can create your own with your own code.

Don't touch the site's appearance, i.e. font, background, layout, etc... and you should be fine.

Well, I used to mess around with CSS on deviantArt and the thing was to override the parent CSS to be able to customize things.. such as adding a background to a custom box (not the entire site, just a small box area).  Would adding a background into say and HTML table within a thread be "changing" the site's appearance if the table was at 100% width of the thread?

Alright. Well then... how would I go about fixing my private workshop seeing as I have already hidden a post that changed a few things unintentionally? It changed links because I didn't think to give them classes and then when I realized that it changed stuff, I hid it. Now I can't see it and therefore, I can't change the code. 

@Anomaly

You can create a customized table, of course. The idea is that you use class designations so any custom CSS only affects your post. What I've been doing is surrounding my code with an unstyled div box with my username as the class, then putting div.anomaly in front of all my CSS stuff.

Alright. Well then... how would I go about fixing my private workshop seeing as I have already hidden a post that changed a few things unintentionally? It changed links because I didn't think to give them classes and then when I realized that it changed stuff, I hid it. Now I can't see it and therefore, I can't change the code. 

@Anomaly

I'll go ahead and find it and edit it for you. PM me the name of the thread please.

I don't know if this is what you mean, but you can use div for creating column by adjusting the width and make it float left/right.

/*CSS here*/
.column {
}

First column here

Second column here

<p>

</p>

<style type="text/css">
.column {
}
</style>

<div class="column-wrapper" style="overflow:hidden;">
<div class="column">
<p>
First column here
</p>
</div>

<div class="column">
<p>
Second column here
</p>
</div>
</div>

That's kinda what I'm looking for, but I'm trying to make two even columns that are centered... as in the line dividing the two columns is in the very middle of the post. Is that possible?

You can set div box widths to percentages. If you use 50% it will take up that much space, thus putting the middle right about in the center. :) You may wish to use 49 or 48 percent though, so there's a little space between the two columns.

You can set div box widths to percentages. If you use 50% it will take up that much space, thus putting the middle right about in the center. :) You may wish to use 49 or 48 percent though, so there's a little space between the two columns.

Would you be ok with me PMing you what I'm working on and seeing if you can help me get it to behave the way I'm seeking? Possibly?

I missed BBCode but it's going to be a bit annoying having to get 200 posts (roughly) posted just to use it as I don't post loads n loads so..

What good does that do anyone who doesn't know how to use it. It seems like we went from one form of elitist coders to another. 

These days HTML is taught in high school computer classes anyway and there are many resources to learn it as well.  It all comes down to do you want to learn it or not, it's not really "elitist" as no one is telling you to "level up n00b."  It's like complaining to a doctor they are an elitist because they took the time to go to medical school to learn.

Many of the coders are sharing their HTML codes with their testing and I'm sure "shoppes" will open back up for you to just copy/paste if you don't want to code anything.  There is even one HTML tutorial up on the site.  This is just the first part of the release.

Once the HTML is done with its BETA phase, there will be buttons to use, which will be available to all users. :)

I wonder if we'll be able to keep the direct coding abilities since I would prefer that option rather than buttons.

I've been told that manual HTML coding will still be available but it depends how well the BETA stage goes.

Yay!  I probably won't hit 500 posts before the beta ends though, lol.

*the angels sing in rejoice as the dark wizard blessed us with this* YES YES YES okay now to test drive this baby *cracks knuckles*

another question that came to mind as I was working on my own projects, apologies if this has been asked and answered to already, but will the update include JS/Jquery? Thank you in advance.

If you abuse it by creating forced and timed redirects or other nasty stuff, your account and all alts will be instantly terminated from the site with zero appeal. Also this goes with out saying any HTML or CSS that targets site elements to alter the way the site looks is not allowed, this is not myspace or neopets, we expect users to contain their coding to their posts.

I want to try my hand at the basics of HTML, but this warning is making me shake in my boots, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back