News BETA: HTML Is here! (Big Code Update) Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for anyone who knows HTML better than I do (I binge learned today... basically...): 

Is there a way to make this:

look good on mobile as well as on a computer? Currently I am pretty sure (though I haven't checked) that it looks like crap on mobile. 

No, one of the drawbacks to using HTML is that it looks like utter shit on small screens. Javascript is required to have responsive design, and that's something that with BBCodes and buttons RPN handled/handles for us. When it's us by ourselves, well, the mobile users unfortunately will not be able to make it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, one of the drawbacks to using HTML is that it looks like utter shit on small screens. Javascript is required to have responsive design, and that's something that with BBCodes and buttons RPN handles for us. When it's us by ourselves, well, the mobile users unfortunately will not be able to make it out.

So there's no point in using html anyway because we're going to have to redo it all when the buttons come out if we want anyone to be able to use mobile?

Not necessarily.

HTML is way more flexible than buttons. You can do far more complicated things. You can even design things with mobile users in mind so it doesn't look too bad. Having access to HTML is like having access to an entire language to communicate with, whereas having buttons is sort of having a reader's digest version of a Spanish and English dictionary.

Question for anyone who knows HTML better than I do (I binge learned today... basically...): 

Is there a way to make this:

look good on mobile as well as on a computer? Currently I am pretty sure (though I haven't checked) that it looks like crap on mobile. 

I checked both my phone and iPad. And it's not too bad - it's a little squished but still perfectly readable.

On my phone, one of the columns gets kicked down below the other two. I don't know how to keep them all on the same row. 

You might try landscape. But tbh it's still readable and three columns would likely not work on a slimmer screen in general.

plus people on mobiles are used to have alignments being screwy. As long as they can read it I wouldn't worry too much.

I'm actually quite excited about this. I wasn't into much BBcode before, so starting out fresh (hopefully) won't be too hard ^_^  The only thing I was worried about was how different HTML is from BBcode and I'm grateful to see that the differences aren't too extensive. I think my only question would be, since I've seen it said before, will learning HTML also help me code sites and such better? Because I had already wished to learn this before so it certainly will be a great boon to me to learn it early. If not, then that's fine, it just would be a plus if this was the case :)  

Hello sorry to repeat a previous question, but as I am not qualified to try HTML myself, I know of a few people who are, and they have directed a few questions to me and I'd just like a confirmation before I address their concerns. I believe that I've asked about CSS being written internally rather than inline, and the answer given previously was that the CSS component would/could be written in internally however many of those who are using the beta version find that internal does not compute at all. Did @Musician misinform or will this feature simply be released at a later date (after beta)?

Thank you in advance!

Hello. I just wanted a bit of clarification regarding the upcoming HTML update ... When one says HTML, I assume that means that CSS is part of that package, correct? If so, will the users be writing it inline, external, or internal? This side question is not related but ... what are the default px size for the posts container? Thank you in advance.

CSS is included and is internal.  Default font size is the same as the editor (14).

I would just like to clarify that I am not the main source of that information. =)

Do you mean that you were re-iterating information from someone else in that post (unless you weren't referring to Vlaty's question in that previous post)? o - o

Just want to know if CSS being written internally is not a possibility at the moment and if it isn't, will it possibly be available after the beta? =)

Also, when using internal CSS, please use classes to make sure you are ONLY affecting elements in your post. Using straight "p" or "div" or whatever will affect ALL elements on the page, and using that can easily lose a person their HTML privileges.

Also, when using internal CSS, please use classes to make sure you are ONLY affecting elements in your post. Using straight "p" or "div" or whatever will affect ALL elements on the page, and using that can easily lose a person their HTML privileges.

>x>;

Well...that explains why I just messed up my page. 8D;;;

Edit: I deleted it, however.

The easiest way I can think of writing internal CSS is putting a div box around the entirety of the content with no styling and the class assignment of your username. From there, as you write the css, you basically go...

div.anomaly a {....

div.anomaly div {...

div.anomaly p {...

And so on.

That's good to know. It would have been nice to include a statement about this earlier. 

If someone's new to using html and makes a mistake... what happens then? Or if someone's new and doesn't happen to see that post of yours? 

I just find this detail to be slightly concerning.

That's good to know. It would have been nice to include a statement about this earlier. 

If someone's new to using html and makes a mistake... what happens then? Or if someone's new and doesn't happen to see that post of yours? 

I just find this detail to be slightly concerning.

Disciplinary action is not automatic and is only taken after a group discussion.  This includes coding as well as every other aspect of the site.  We realize people are new to coding (heck, I haven't even started to learn it myself) and mistakes will be made.  However, opening up HTML means malicious users can do some very unkind things to the site, things which are clearly malicious and not mistakes.

Please try to trust us to know the difference.

Wow, this is exciting! Can't wait to hit the post requirement so I can fail at HTML even more than I failed at BBCode. ;]

Seriously though, this sounds cool. Some of the stuff I've seen so far is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread