News BETA: HTML Is here! (Big Code Update) Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOT IT

You can keep it only affecting your posts by assigning a class that is your username to the codes using it and using css to restrict it that way.

Example (I hope this works lmao):

[*]
a.anomaly:link {
text-decoration:none;
color:#EC2E6C;
font-weight:bold;
}
a.anomaly:hover {
color:black;
text-shadow:2px 2px 1px #EC2E6C;
}

About Me

Greetings! I am your friendly neighborhood succubus, and I enjoy devouring the lifeforce of unsuspecting men! Before the update I had a rather lovely About section, but it was lost in the move. C'est la vie; now I'm back with this one, which is even more badass! I'm in my early twenties and very recently went back to school to finish my bachelor's degree in Writing. Also very recently, I got hired on at Publix Greenwise as a Bakery Clerk. My cup overfloweth. I'm studying at Florida Atlantic University and so far I'm enjoying it! My interests are numerous but above all I write stuff. I write the site's newsletter, in fact! It comes out on the 1st of each month. I put a lot of work into it, so you should check it out! If that's not enough incentive, here's a detail; in the newsletter, we feature users from all different parts of the site in order to celebrate how talented and diverse our userbase is. We feature writing and art from Creativity, user-generated tutorials, a Roleplay of the Month, a Member of the Month, and more! It could be you! You can suggest content for me to feature in the Newsletter using this super short form!

Below is a non-exhaustive list of conversation starters, or things you can bring up to me that will likely set my mouth running for hours on end.

• The time I spent a month in the wilderness with no toilets or anything.
  • The time I ran a roleplay called Super Super Happy Love Time Heart ChessMATE.
  • The web-serial I write, As We Knew It.
  • The setting for abovementioned web-serial, the Crying Lakes Continent.
  • Poetry, especially spoken word.
  • Harry Potter.
  • Game of Thrones.
  • Interactive fiction.
  • Stardew Valley.

You have been warned.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Pellentesque ac augue placerat, varius dui non, sollicitudin leo.

Code:
<p>
	&nbsp;
</p>
<link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Aladin" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
<style type="text/css">
  a.anomaly:link {
    color:#EC2E6C;
    font-weight:bold;
  }
  a.anomaly:hover {
    color:black;
    text-shadow:2px 2px 1px #EC2E6C;
  }
</style>
<div style="overflow:hidden; background-color:black; background-image: url(http://www.imgbase.info/images/safe-wallpapers/video_games/catherine/49176_catherine.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:center; background-size:100%; border-radius:15px; padding:10px; color:#2B3856;">
	<div style="width:78%; background-color:#fff; background-color:rgba(225,225,225,0.75); border-radius:15px; padding:10px; float:left; box-shadow:2px 2px 5px;">
		<p style="font-family:Aladin; font-size:5em;">
			About Me
		</p>

<p style="text-align:justify;">
			Greetings! I am your friendly neighborhood succubus, and I enjoy devouring the lifeforce of unsuspecting men! Before the update I had a rather lovely About section, but it was lost in the move. C&#39;est la vie; now I&#39;m back with this one, which is even more badass! I&#39;m in my early twenties and very recently went back to school to finish my bachelor&#39;s degree in Writing. Also very recently, I got hired on at Publix Greenwise as a Bakery Clerk. My cup overfloweth. I&#39;m studying at Florida Atlantic University and so far I&#39;m enjoying it! My interests are numerous but above all I write stuff. I write the site&#39;s newsletter, in fact! It comes out on the 1st of each month. I put a lot of work into it, so you should check it out! If that&#39;s not enough incentive, here&#39;s a detail; in the newsletter, we feature users from all different parts of the site in order to celebrate how talented and diverse our userbase is. We feature writing and art from Creativity, user-generated tutorials, a Roleplay of the Month, a Member of the Month, and more! <em>It could be you!</em> You can suggest content for me to feature in the Newsletter using <a class="anomaly" href="https://goo.gl/forms/6KT7KVYOumsPhLir2" rel="external nofollow" target="_blank">this super short form</a>!
		</p>

<p>
			&nbsp;
		</p>

<p>
			Below is a non-exhaustive list of conversation starters, or things you can bring up to me that will likely set my mouth running for hours on end.
		</p>

<ul>
			<li>
				The time I spent a month in the wilderness with no toilets or anything.
			</li>
			<li>
				The time I ran a roleplay called Super Super Happy Love Time Heart ChessMATE.
			</li>
			<li>
				The web-serial I write, <a class="anomaly" href="http://asweknewit.wordpress.com" rel="external nofollow" target="_blank">As We Knew It</a>.
			</li>
			<li>
				The setting for abovementioned web-serial, the Crying Lakes Continent.
			</li>
			<li>
				Poetry, especially spoken word.
			</li>
			<li>
				Harry Potter.
			</li>
			<li>
				Game of Thrones.
			</li>
			<li>
				Interactive fiction.
			</li>
			<li>
				Stardew Valley.
			</li>
		</ul>

<p style="text-shadow:1px 1px 3px black">
			<strong>You have been warned.</strong>
		</p>
	</div>

<div style="width:19%; float:right; background-color:#fff; background-color:rgba(225,225,225,0.75); border-radius:15px; padding:10px; box-shadow:2px 2px 5px;">
		<p>
			Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Pellentesque ac augue placerat, varius dui non, sollicitudin leo.
		</p>
	</div>
</div>

Um, this has probably been asked, knowing my luck (and how active this thread has been), but how does one input their - rather limited - HTML knowledge into the posts? It seems that I can't use head and body as I would otherwise. 

everyone here's making amazing things with html yet i still can't figure out how to make a table

Don't worry - that's what the format buttons are there for.

For the big colourful stuff - just wait until people start making template codes  ;)

Okay

Late to the party but I have been lurking here from the start

You know, I'm kinda dying on the inside. I loved BBcode so much because of how simply beautiful and easy it was and I'm sad it's gone. In a way. Since I was one of those so called 'elitist coders'. 

And now we're changing to HTML I just don't get it. It might be because of how hands on I am all the time, I learn from doing and barely understand theory like always. 

BUT I'M SO EXCITEEEEED EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I can't even. Sure this has drawbacks but I'm excited af right now and I'm literally looking through all the tutorials I know. 

Okay

Late to the party but I have been lurking here from the start

You know, I'm kinda dying on the inside. I loved BBcode so much because of how simply beautiful and easy it was and I'm sad it's gone. In a way. Since I was one of those so called 'elitist coders'. 

And now we're changing to HTML I just don't get it. It might be because of how hands on I am all the time, I learn from doing and barely understand theory like always. 

BUT I'M SO EXCITEEEEED EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I can't even. Sure this has drawbacks but I'm excited af right now and I'm literally looking through all the tutorials I know. 

Buttons will still be coming for a simple and easy and awesome alternative! :D

@Anomaly @Ghost

I've been working through codeacademy. 

I've gotten as far as tables and its actually quite helpful. 

But now they are throwing in style tags that I haven't learned yet. It makes it very confusing for me to see something in the example window that I do not know how to do or what it means. 

There's padding and table borders which we have not covered and are not explained in the current lessons. 

Can either of you state whether or not this continues to happen throughout? 

I'm really trying to learn and I'm hoping you can offer this small bit of assistance... maybe. 

In my experience the style tag was explained in an earlier lesson.

padding was used and I have absolutely 0 idea what padding is beyond the fact that it is a style

it was never explained

border-collapse was also used and that was never explained

think they're both styles but that doesn't help me if I don't know what they do. 

Padding and margin are similar things. Picture the area of text as a sheet of paper. Margin is the invisible line that prevents the text from getting too close to the edge of the paper. Padding is an invisible line that stops the paper from getting too close to another sheet of paper. It is not a "style", it is a measurement.

Yas! Html!

once I get to 500 posts, that is.

On the other hand, it doesn't stop me from coding fancy posts to use after I hit 500 posts.

Question for anyone who knows HTML... is it possible to make tabs and accordions with HTML? I made it through most of the codeacademy that I can access for free and I didn't encounter anything that allows for hidden content to be revealed when a "button" is clicked. I'm wondering if it is possible and just not included in the free lessons or...? Not quite sure what else would be in the or, but... -shrugs- 

Also, is it ok that I'm using this thread to ask questions about HTML? I can make a "Help" thread for it if that would be preferred. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Question for anyone who knows HTML... is it possible to make tabs and accordions with HTML? I made it through most of the codeacademy that I can access for free and I didn't encounter anything that allows for hidden content to be revealed when a "button" is clicked. I'm wondering if it is possible and just not included in the free lessons or...? Not quite sure what else would be in the or, but... -shrugs- 

Also, is it ok that I'm using this thread to ask questions about HTML? I can make a "Help" thread for it if that would be preferred. 

You probably can, but I haven't gotten to the end of the free stuff on codeacademy since ive been doing other things

You might be able to edit the pre-existing accordion to suit your needs if you can figure out how. Make one with the buttons and then click source to see the code that made it- currently the only thing ive tried is adding images to the content and title

You might be able to edit the pre-existing accordion to suit your needs if you can figure out how. Make one with the buttons and then click source to see the code that made it- currently the only thing ive tried is adding images to the content and title

I will try this here in a few minutes. Right now I'm seeing if I actually know enough to make something neatish looking. 

My research indicates that you would have to learn and implement javascript to do that kind of thing, unfortunately. A bit beyond my capabilities.

My research indicates that you would have to learn and implement javascript to do that kind of thing, unfortunately. A bit beyond my capabilities.

Do you have any reason to believe that inputting a button accordion and then adding CSS to it's HTML code would not work or is it within the realm of possibility?

Apologies if I'm not using the right terminology, but I think I know what I'm talking about to some degree... although... maybe not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait! I have a question, is Part 2 gonna include the peeps of RPN that have a post count of UNDER 500...? D:

Do you have any reason to believe that inputting a button accordion and then adding CSS to it's HTML code would not work or is it within the realm of possibility?

Apologies if I'm not using the right terminology, but I think I know what I'm talking about to some degree... although... maybe not.

I tried that, but since it refers to a hidden code we're not allowed to change (through it's "class" designation), it overrides any modifications you make. :c

I tried that, but since it refers to a hidden code we're not allowed to change (through it's "class" designation), it overrides any modifications you make. :c

Hmm... that's interesting. 

I was able to turn tabs blue in my private workshop. 

Whenever I try to copy it to somewhere else, it doesn't work, though. 

I wish I could figure out how I did it... 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back