Advice/Help Best way to get RP's noticed or active?

Jaredthefox92

Jaredthefox92
I'm just curious as the general rule how to get people in. I've noticed one open RP to be successful as of late, but then I have some fandom ones that are sort of needing help. I'm trying to be a better GM and I would like some advice.

It's probably not what you're looking for, but I've always noticed on other sites that there is a trend where Roleplays with fancy formatting and aesthetics tend to get a bit more attention. You may already do this, but if you don't, then maybe try it out? I hope that you're able to get stories off the ground and I wish you luck nonetheless.

Patience, I think. It's advice that's been repeated all throughout the site, but it works. It takes a while to get attention or players for an RP, so you're probably just going to have to keep patiently bumping the thread.

On more advice, though, maybe try adding a bit more to the interest check? Maybe a little more detail on the plot, ground rules, what the characters will be doing in the RP and such. I noticed that activity also tends to attract attention (if that makes sense- a samurai RP I had once blew up with attention when we already started getting characters and started the main RP).

Hope this helps and good luck on your RPs!

Best way to get RP's noticed or active?
First, those are two very different matters. Get an RP to get players in the first place is a far easier and very different task from keeping them going in the roleplay.

On the first question, here: Tutorial - Principles of A Good Interest Check

On the second, it doesn't seem to really be the topic given the description, so I'll leave it out for now.

I've noticed one open RP to be successful as of late, but then I have some fandom ones that are sort of needing help.
Well, for starters let's put the matter into perspective. Every roleplay is competing in a landskape for people's time, attention and effort. There's only so many people with so much time to go around, so the more roleplays out there there are the harder it is for any given roleplay to get off the ground.

Then you need interest, and this is where fandom roleplays have advantages and disadvantages. Fandom roleplays are based on an existing fandom, which means that knowledge AND enjoyment of that fandom are pre-requisites for interest in them. On the other hand, fandom is the kind of roleplay that tends to come with a certain fixed audience who will jump at it for association with less regard for the contents of the thread than the scrutiny they might otherwise put to it. In other words, fandom RPs are reliant on the existing audience's overlap with the RPN population. And let's not even get started on the cannon characters needs...

After checking out your interest checks, they seem simplistic and to fall much into the "grocery list" category of interest checks, they have what you want to RP, but no real appeal beyond that. There's little to no personality to them and no answer to "why should I care" other than the topic itself, for most there isn't even an attempt at attracting people. There was one major exception this one, but that one you overdid it so much it's barely understandable.

Now let's look at the rate at which you post these: March 28, March 29, March 31st, April 1st, April 3rd then a cut to yesterday. As a rule of thumb, I tend to recommend to people using a 3 day for any interest to show up, though from my experience it can take upwards of a week or so for many interest checks to really get going, and this is a rule for bumps not new roleplays. If you start posting too many of these too fast you seem desperate and fickle at best. As a potential player it makes it look as though I can't trust you to actually keep things going when push comes to shove and that you will infringe on my fun due to your lack of self-control (note: I'm saying this is how this posting rate makes you appear, which does not necessarily correspond to who you are or what you are like, I like any other am no mind reader).

Overall, I'll second and add to what CrowOuttaHell CrowOuttaHell said: Have some patience. Not just for waiting, but to carefully consider what you actually want to do and to iron that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back