Tutorial Best Advice For A Newbie Writer

pfpfpfpf

I am not the best writer and my grammar isn't as good as some think. Any tips or advice I can use to help me improve my skills a bit?

Other - Anyone have any writing advice for me?

That thread there is one where myself and many others have given or attempted to give some writing advise to another who asked.

I'll add however that, as mentioned in that thread, your question is reeeaaaallly broad. Nomatter how experienced, talented or opinionated, there's really little advise that can be given just in general. I believe it would be best to give your hand at trying to write and picking up on individual things you have problems with. Nobody's gonna blame ya for asking a lot of questions, and you won't be bothering anyone either, so feel free!

PS: Grammar is definitely important and one should strive to improve it, but if you can try not to let it worry you too much. Focus on trying to learn how to move the scene on your head to the scene on your post in as clear a way as possible. Perfect grammar can afford to come with experience :)

Hope you find this post useful. Good luck and happy RPing!

I am not good with grammar, I am doing the best I can. Just weird I got told about my grammar not once but twice today.

So first and foremost I think you need to examine where the criticism is coming from. Do the people who are talking about your grammar have specific issues they want you to address? Or are they just putting you down and refusing to roleplay with you?

This ties into Idea's point above. It's best to focus on attainable goals when trying to improve your writing. This way you can see actual forward progression so you don't get discouraged later on down the road.

For instance something I have had people point out in the past is homonyms. So I do my best to look over my posts to see if I've used the wrong version of a word. I don't always catch the mistake but at least I know what to look for.

The same thing can help you. Pick one thing to focus on trying to catch in your writing. Even if you don't always actually fix the mistake you can at least be able to pick it out and be like.."yeah I got that wrong but I'm not sure quiet how to fix it."

Well up until today I didn't realize my grammar was not that good when someone mentioned it today.

hi! i am a writer with four years of experience, and one of the most important rules to writing is “show, don’t tell.” dont tell us “She was angry.” instead, try “Her eyes flickered with deep rage, her fist was clenched and trembled at her side.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back