• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Behold, the Shadow Lord Returns

Dolches

Horizontal Staircase
Out cometh shadow from the pit of rituals, out poureth evil from the heart of its creation. It hath been uncountable moons since he last was put to rest. All whom lived during his reign have since passed, and all who live to see his next will envy them. Villainy still plagues our world, and creates the catalyst for his return. Behold, the Lord of Shadows is resurrected. Lo, his reign shall return.
dark castle by emkun on deviantart.jpg

The year is 857 of the After Shadow era, and the Shadow Lord is prophesized to return for his third reign. Historically, he has ruled for more time than he has spent dead, and all nations shall crumble while their people live in subservience to him. Powerful and wealthy nations are arrogant and adamant in their belief that they can break his cycle of rebirth, reign, and death. Their people are indifferent to the threat upon their livelihoods and their children are ignorant of what all this means for them. This is just another facet of his design. In death does he bide his time, letting the people forget about the terror and suffering he brings until he is at their gates. Indeed, he is poised for two centuries more of rule.

Few are those who hold the appropriate fear in their hearts of him, and even fewer are those who have the power to fight him. Yes, the people of the Grijan Kingdom are blessed to have King Brontos as their leader. For the past few decades he has made friends of the nations around him and truces with the enemies of his people, all for even the slimmest of chances he may drive back the Shadow Lord. He has decreed that a hero is to be found and given his whole support, for along with the prophecy of the Shadow Lord's return, there is one of his demise.

Yet, hope must not be lost, for a hero shall liberate you. Chosen and guided by the World, he shall rise up and set the Lord of Shadows back to rest. With the whole of the World and his trusted party by his side, he shall return his fated nemesis to rest.

And so King Brontos prays. He prays for his people, for himself, and for the hero. He prays for the World to spare them from the Lord of Shadows and his reign.

This is an interest check for a fantasy RP that I've had in mind since I haven't found anything that piques my interest. It'll center around a hero and their party of companions as they set out to prepare themselves before the arrival of their nemesis, and then their participation in the next shadow war. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited:
This could be neat depending on how you think the setting uses magic if at all
Should've specified: Magic is a yes.

Other things I definitely should've specified:
-I'd like for the cast of characters to fit into a "class" archetype besides the hero. Things such as "knight" or "mage" and even less conventional roles such as "rogue" or "beastmaster".
-As the tag suggests, there are monsters. They're not all (not even mostly) evil, but the Shadow Lord has his own host of them.
-Fantasy races are 100% allowed, but if you think it might be too "out there" you should ask about it. Something like a mermaid would be questionable because they can't walk. The only inherently unplayable race would be demons, since they'll be the Shadow Lord's minions.
sounds nice enough, i think i'll tag along.
Yarrrgghhh welcome aboard matey

-I'd like for the cast of characters to fit into a "class" archetype besides the hero. Things such as "knight" or "mage" and even less conventional roles such as "rogue" or "beastmaster".
nice seeing you as well!
pleasantries aside tho, could i immediately take the role of a "good" or "benevolent" necromancer/necromage? could make a nice contrast with the evil that they're fighting.

nice seeing you as well!
pleasantries aside tho, could i immediately take the role of a "good" or "benevolent" necromancer/necromage? could make a nice contrast with the evil that they're fighting.
Yes, you can play as a necromancer, but I think the "good" version would be a spirit channeler or something like that. Rather than reviving skeletons, they channel the spirits of the dead to aide them.
Also, for the record, either one would count as the "summoner" role rather than the general "mage".

Yes, you can play as a necromancer, but I think the "good" version would be a spirit channeler or something like that. Rather than reviving skeletons, they channel the spirits of the dead to aide them.
Also, for the record, either one would count as the "summoner" role rather than the general "mage".
i was thinking about taking a different application of necromancy to turn the archetype into a good one, tbh. like, a necromancer that has worked for clericals in helping to put souls of the deceased to rest, gaining a good understanding of anatomy and life itself in the process, who would fill the role of the group's healer/tank. however, i could lean more into summoning if it came to it and make them more of a thaumaturge/classical necromancer.

This looks epic. Thinking of posting a bard or skald when the CS thread goes up.

So interested! Leaning toward making a beast master!
All of the roles are first-come first-serve, so I'll keep that in mind
i was thinking about taking a different application of necromancy to turn the archetype into a good one, tbh. like, a necromancer that has worked for clericals in helping to put souls of the deceased to rest, gaining a good understanding of anatomy and life itself in the process, who would fill the role of the group's healer/tank. however, i could lean more into summoning if it came to it and make them more of a thaumaturge/classical necromancer.
So... A cleric with a theme centering around the dead?
This looks epic. Thinking of posting a bard or skald when the CS thread goes up.
Sounds good.

Character Sheet thread:
Out Of Character thread:
not a cleric, a necromancer with enough knowledge to apply their powers in a different way.
Can't say I understand, what's their primary role?

Kk I am thinking somone that messes about with space time in the local area and short term no knowing future more buffing healing and debuffing focused could turn into more damage dealing dot type plenty of utility

Last edited:
might be down to join for sure
Great! Come visit the OOC and CS threads!

Hallo! Has anyone taken mage yet? I'll grab it if not. 😁😁😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back