• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

One x One Behind the Mask

At his words, she couldn't stop the smile that spread on her face. She could feel heat flushed across her cheeks and into her ears, making her thankful for the mask that she wore that hid her tell of emotion. Stomach flipping, she slid her hands up over his shoulders, letting them rest there just centimeters past his brown hair. If she had allowed herself to, she could have ran her fingers through the hair, but willed herself not to. Looking up at him now, something seemed familiar about him, but she just couldn't place it. It didn't help that her heart seemed to be beating out of her chest at how close she was to this stranger. Her eyes dropped and she glanced around, trying to think of something to say, but words seemed to fail her. It was going so well, she felt like something would ruin it at any moment.

"I thought all the Eagles had girlfriends?"

However, she did not expect that she would be the one to ruin it.

Annie's eyes widened as she balked during the dance.

"I'm sorry, I hadn't mean't that offensively... it's just... I don't want to step on anyone's toes." She said hastily.

---

Anastasia's eyes widened as she looked at her phone. Kiersten was calling her phone. Her sister standing beside her spit out her drink, all over her date.

"Oh my gosh!" Gisela squealed, ripping the phone from her sister's hands. "Why is Kiersten calling you?! I'm the eldest!"

Before Anastasia could object, Gisela had answered the phone.

"Hello, Ana couldn't come to the phone right now, but I can help you with whatever you need Kiersten.

Where's your dork of a sister Annie?

"She's at home, mother made her clean the house for laughing at her today. It was so mean of her, I mean my mother almost died. Like went into cardiac arrest and fainted. It was so horrible. Being an orphan like Annie would have been so humiliating. I can't even think about- Hello?"

She looked down at the phone, but the line had gone dead. With a shrug she gave Anastasia her phone back.

"What did she want?" Anastasia questioned.

"To know where Annie was. I don't know what she wanted to know about her for." Gisela scoffed before leaving to go get more punch.

Daniel heart beat raced as the slow dance was coming to the end. "This is the part where i try to kiss her right?Is it? he thought. he swallowed hard and looked at her lips under her mask for a second. "Dont be a pussy.. just do it"he told himself as he inched his face a little closer to hers.

"I thought all Eagles had girlfriends"suddenly the wordscame out of her lips. This made him flinch. She was right. What was he doing? He wasnt single, this was cheating. Even if his feelings for Jessica were something different from what he felt with this mystery girl,  what right did he have to do this to the girl in front of him or to Jessica. 

He heard her follow it up

" S..Sorry.." he stammered slowly inching away from her. "I did enjoy dancing with you.. though." he added. He must have looked like a complete asshole. He felt like a complete asshole. He wanted to tell her that he felt something about her, that maybe things would work out. But as he looked at her eyes through her mask one more time, he couldnt say anything. He grabbed her hand and slowly lifted it to the level of his chest. 

"I had a good time.." was all he could say. "I just broke up" "im not seeing anyone"  "Ill break up with her" all these answers never came out as he slowly backed away and turned around

That specific moment, Daniel couldnt let go of his predetermined path. he was too scared to. He slowly walked to the exit, removing his mask as he closed the door 

She felt like an idiot after what she had said. It was going so well, until she opened her traitorous mouth. It was obvious that if he was in a happy relationship, he would have never accepted her offer to dance, especially during a slow song. When he moved her hands from him she looked up at him sadly whilst he apologized, leaving her standing there as he walked away. She wanted to reach out and apologize herself, but he was too far away now. She'd missed her chance. Sighing, she looked down at her feet, dejected.

Lifting her gaze, she watched him thread his way through the crowd, when she realized that she couldn't let it end like this. They had a connection and she didn't want to lose it. She started after him, pushing through people, determined to catch him before he was gone completely, mumbling apologies to those she moved. When she finally reached the door, she pulled it open and made her way outside, her eyes catching on his retreating form.

"Eagle, wait!" She called out, not knowing any other name that might get his attention, as she ran after him and slowing as she neared him. "Please!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Before he closed the door, he heard a sound coming from inside. " Eagle wait!" he thought. he looked at the door with mask in hand wondering if that was her. Had she followed him through the crowd. He slowly opened the door just at the same time she opened it. resulting in them meeting between the door frame face to face.

"You probably know who I am." he said knowing that if she went to Ellendale, she would know his face. he slowly turned to the side and spoke more in a soft tone." Maybe you also know who I'm supposed to be with, here tonight.

He gave her a discouraged look. " I didnt mean to put you in this situation.. honestly it felt real with you. I dont love my girlfriend, she probably feels the same too. " he admitted with a shaking mouth. I really didnt realize that there was something else to this until I met you tonight. I dont even know who you are" he ended his statement shaking his head.

Inside the hall

"Jessica, I think i just saw Daniel walk out the main door" exclaimed Ashlynn running up to their leader in her heels. Jessica gave her a surprised look before gathering herself up and making a beeline for the same door. "All of you stay here" she ordered pushing her way through the crowd

She was stunned into silence as she stood there, standing across the doorway from him. For a moment, she gaped at him, mouth opening and closing as if to speak, but nothing would come forth. Finally, she found her voice after first spoke.

"Y-your Daniel Shepherd."

A small smile flicked across her face. It made sense now. In the parking, he was trying to be a good boyfriend and she couldn't blame him for trying to spare her from Jessica's wrath. Stepping forwards she put her hand on his arm, as if saying it was okay, letting the door shut behind her.

"Daniel, you don't have to be sorry. As for who I am? Well...."

She reached up behind her head, starting to tug at the thin ribbon tying it to her head, when the door flew open and knocked her forwards. Her fingers had been gripping the ribbon and it untied, just as she was knocked into his chest, her mask falling to the ground. However, before she could show him who she was, she heard Jessica's enraged scream behind her. Keeping her face obscured, she pulled herself away from Daniel and sprinted across the lawn, heading towards the Lotus Elan, listening to Jessica scream profanities after her.

She weaved her way through the parked cars, making her way to the car and quickly jumped in. Without buckling or looking for oncoming cars, she started the vehicle and sped out of there quicker than she had ever drove before. However, as she got closer to home, she had wished that she would have stayed. It was an impulse for her to run, as Jessica wasn't known to play fair. She pulled off into Betty's drive and put the car in park before putting her head on the steering wheel. It had been such a wonderful time, but it had ended. Did she really want to risk whatever Jessica would do to her if she pursued Daniel? Could she risk him in the crossfire? Sighing, she exited the car and went inside of Betty's house, where she told her all about the night...

Daniel turned his body towards her while she ran."Hey wait!" He exclaimed as he stretched out his hand and tried to pursue her. However he felt another persons pair of hands grab his other arm. Jessica who had just finished screaming at the escaping girl looked at him with deadpan eyes.

"How dare you!"she screamed. As if on queue, a huge crowd comprised of some of the team, cheerleaders and a few others burst out the door. They had heard Jessica's loud screams of profanities from inside. The flow of people almost surrounded the couple.

"Who was that?!? Tell me Daniel!" she shouted before raising her hand and giving him a slap on the face. Daniel didnt even bother ducking out of the way and just took the slap quietly.

"Nobody.. I dont know her name Jess"he answered staring back at her cold eyes. Even if he knew who she was, he wouldnt dare tell her. "Ill find out! and when i do, she is done! Do you hear me Daniel?!?" she screamed getting ready to slap him again. "No.. were done Jess" said Daniel softly looking at the floor tiles below her feet. "What?!Your not doing this to me Shepherd!Not me!" she shrieked with tears in her eyes. "Do you know who I am?My family runs this town! I.."she sobbed until she found him walk closer to her. "Im sorry Jess.."he said. Jessica turned to the lawn and trying to cover the ruined makeup from her tears ran to her car "This is not over Daniel!" she exclaimed as her clique followed her.

A few of the football team slowly approached Daniel after Jessica's corvette drove off. They stood silently amongst each other.. All friends of Daniel. However most of their girlfriends were also under Jessica's command and they feared the outcome of what this fight would bring to the team. Cody stood beside Daniel"Brewskies at the usual place?"he asked patting him on the shoulder.

"Yeah.."answered Daniel as about 5 players walked off while the rest of the team stayed.

Annie sighed as she laid her head on her pillow that night, the night replaying in her mind on loop. She couldn't help but to smile as she looked up at the ceiling. It had been so wonderful, so incredible. She was torn now. On one hand, she could go to him on Monday and tell him who she is, but would he believe her? On the other, she could leave him alone. Surely enough she would ruin his future. She had nothing to offer. Unlike the Georginos... she couldn't grant him fame and fortune. All she could offer was herself... 

How lame.

She thought to herself as she rolled over and stared at the green numbers on her clock.

2:13 AM ]
-- Saturday Morning --

Two days until she'd see him again. Her heart flipped at the thought as she reached over her clock and turned out the light, the decision on whether to tell him weighing heavily on her mind. However, before she fell asleep, she couldn't help but to think of the mask that she had dropped before running. It had been her mother's and it pained her to lose it now. Sighing, she closed her eyes and drifted off into a fitful sleep.

---------------------------------------------------------

10:45 AM ]
-- Sunday Morning --

Anastasia was asleep in bed, snoring loudly, when her phone went off again. Gisela threw her pillow across the room at her, trying in vain to wake her sister. But, when she didn't wake, Gisela threw off her covers and stormed over to her sister's vanity and snatched up the phone. She was going to make whoever it was pay for ruining her beauty sleep! Or so she thought, when she seen the number on the phone. Ashlynn. Eagerly flipping it open, she answered in a bored tone.

"Can I help you?"

"Do you know anyone who drives a yellow 1971 Lotus Elan?"

"What's that? A flower?"

"No, you idiot. It's a car. The one that some whore was driving in that had been hanging of Daniel all night at the party. Jessica wants to know, and if you are impeding her search, I'll be sure to let her know."

Gisela froze as she listened to the threat, then followed up with a quivering agreement, stating that she'd get back to her once she found out more information. Once off the phone, she Google'd the car and her brows shot up in surprise. Their neighbor Betty had one just like it. The same neighbor that Annie was great friends with. Grinning, she quickly redialed Ashlynn's number and told her.

"Good work."

---------------------------------------------------------

Beep! Beep! Beep!

Grumbling, Annie rolled over, looking towards the clock.

4:30 AM ]
-- Monday Morning --

Another day, another dollar.

She thought, pushing herself up out of bed and rubbing the sleep from her eyes. When she realized that it was Monday, her heart skipped a beat. Over the past two days she fought not to just call and tell him who she was, but she felt that it was more of a face-to-face kind of talk. She probably would have drove over to his house over the weekend, but her stepmother had her so swamped with chores, she barely had time to breathe between them. Happily, she jumped out of bed and started preparing for the day.

6:17 AM ]

Annie found herself humming to herself as she cooked breakfast for everyone. Anastasia and Gisela hadn't quite made it downstairs yet, but her stepmother was there. She heard her scoff behind her and slam down the paper.

"Would you stop that?"

"Stop what?" Annie asked, turning to set a bowl of scrambled eggs on the table.

"Being so happy, so early. It makes me want to go puke."

After turning her back to her stepmother, she rolled her eyes as she worked on flipping the sausage in the frying pan over. Even though her mouth stopped humming, her head was still spinning. Today would be the day that she tells him who she was. Glancing up at the clock, she could see it was edging close to an hour before she had to be in class. She quickly shut down the stove and put the remaining food on the table before darting out of the dining room, just as Anastasia and Gisela rounded the turn. Annie skidded to a stop, almost plowing into them, but had managed to successfully skip aroud them.

"Good morning!"

She yelled as she grabbed her keys from the dish and let herself out of the door.

Anastasia looked to her older sister with furrowed brows.

"What was all that about?"

Gisela gave a knowing smirk as she walked past her sister and into the dining room.

"Let's just say she won't have much to be happy about when she gets to school today."

The pub was full of people of all kinds, Although it wasn't seedy or anything, because Ellendale was not a big place, You could still get the feeling that a bar fight would break out anytime over the smallest thing. At the center of the place was  a huge squared bar table where the guy who mixes the drinks( he refuses to call himself a bartender) , was located. He was a friendly chap, who knew most of the regulars that went there.

"Whats wrong Danny?" he asked the guy in front of him. Daniel was looking blankly at a mask on the table, He had picked it up earlier at the party. 

"Ever been at a part of your life.. where you wanted something bad enough.. but.. that somethings always out of reach?" explained the football player taking a sip from his beer. He picked up the mask on the table and turned it sideways looking at the rhinestone. He tried to figure out the identity of the mask's owner. Who was this girl in school, who with a small conversation and dance, made him feel like changing.

"You wanna be a designer or something?" laughed the barkeep, placing another beer on the table. "Danny my boy, There isn't a soul in this town that hasn't heard of the star quarter back of the Eagles. Why, Its basically a religion for some of the townsfolk. You have everything going for you" he assured him. Daniel raised his head and told him about what happened at the party. He felt the guy was one of the few people in town who wouldn't judge him for his decisions. Do whatever feels right, what makes you happy Danny" was his answer just before Danny's teammates arrived . "Drop you off?" asked Jared, the eagles tight end. "yeah I'm pretty tired" he answered 

5:30a.m Monday

Daniel just got out of bed, The weekend had been a pretty boring one. A few light practices where he always glanced at the bleachers for a certain girl to show up, A few profane messages from Jess, and then another few apologetic ones. The rhinestone mask was still there on his table. The owner still a mystery to him.

Daniel went down the stairs and turned to the kitchen. His mom and younger sister were sitting down and having breakfast. Daniel picked up her younger sister from the chair and gave her a back hug. "morning you little cretin" he grinned. "put me down Danny! I'm not a little girl anymore!" she squealed giving him her best mean stare. Daniel slowly lowered her down and gave her a strong pat on the head. "Oh why's that?" he asked. " I'll be ten soon!  I'll be lady! mom will even buy me some make up" she smiled raising her right hand above her head, showing her height. "You'll always be our little cretin"he teased putting some food on his plate. 

6:50a.m 

Daniel's had parked his car a little bit away from campus. He didn't want to share the same parking lot with Jessica. Even this morning he hadn't answered her calls.

Daniel picked up his things from his car and walked to school. He would wait in front of school for the girl at the party. He would need to scan every girl that had her body type, height and hair. "how many could there be" he shrugged as he sat down the steps. He took out a book and opened it to a random page so he wouldn't look like he was waiting for someone.

7:20a.m 

The whole cheer leading squad plus a few additional underlings had gathered in one of the school's women's toilets. "Doesn't Jessica look strange?" whispered one of the cheerleaders, "shhh.. she'll hear you"answered the other covering the other girl's mouth. All of them knew Jessica didn't take the break up with his boyfriend well. Most not part of the inner circle also assumed why they were having this cloak and dagger gathering there. It was revenge on the girl who stole from their queen bee. "Ashlynn.. did you girls bring the stuff i wanted?" she asked. The cheerleader in front of her hurriedly took something out of her purse, a small pouch. Jessica took it and hid it in her bag. The pouch would be the coup de grace.

7:02 AM ]

The whole drive to the school, Annie's nerves had been coiled tightly, like a cord just waiting to snap under pressure. She even drove the speed limit, afraid of the conversation she was most likely going to have today. Different scenarios for how today would play out flashed through her mind. On one end, he would be shocked, angry even, to find out who she was. While on the other... he might actually give her a chance. She didn't want to hold their brief conversation in the parking lot up to chalk. After pulling into the parking slot, she actually managed to get a decent parking spot this time, she glanced up at her reflexion in the mirror. Despite having gotten her morning duties finished early, she still forgot to fix her hair into anything other than brushed out and down. So she grabbed one of the many ponytails littering her gearshift, and pulled her hair to the side, tying it low so it draped over her shoulder and onto her chest.

After that was done, she grabbed her messenger bag, loaded with a couple books and her laptop, and exited the truck. Her stomach was churning with butterflies as she crossed the parking lot and up onto the sidewalk that led to the front of the school. She barely got a few steps further before realizing that Daniel was standing at the front door, looking around expectantly. She felt a surge of hope, wondering if he were looking for her, but she wouldn't feed that thought. Instead, she continued forwards, her eyes flicking nervously between the sidewalk and his ever growing form. When she finally got up to the front of the door she gave a nervous smile and looked up at him, a couple other kids pushing past her as she did. Steeling her nerves, she opened her mouth to speak.

"Hey, you look like you're looking for someone."

No shit, Sherlock. She mentally chided herself.

Daniel picked up his book and stood up beside the door. It was almost class time and there would be a flow of students. This would make it difficult for him to single the girl out. "Damn.." he thought realizing that his idea wasnt effective.He was ready to give up when he suddenly heard  a voice ask him a question. He turned to look at the girl was caught a bit off guard. "Its you isnt it?" he wondered looking at her face. This was the same girl.. Annie, the girl with the truck that Jessica almost hit. The sunflower..Was she also the girl behind the mask?

Daniel looked at her eyes, The eyes that he saw at the party were the same. He was sure of it. He slowly raised his hand to reach something from his pack. He revealed the rhinestone mask from the party. "Does this belong to you?" he asked her seriously not letting go of  his lock on her eyes.

When he heard her answer, he smiled and let go of the mask as she received it. His heart beated heavily as he took one step closer to her. " i really want to continue where we left off that night. Would you perhaps go out with me?"

7:22 AM ]

She chewed on her lip nervously as she waited for him to realize she had spoken to him. When he did, and the expression of a deer in the headlights look flashed across his features, she wondered if this were a good idea. But then he seemed to recognize her and her nervous smile turned more confident. At his question, she could only nod, unwilling to let her mouth betray her like Friday night. She felt her face flush under his intense gaze, and she dropped her eyes to the ground, staring at her nervously shifting feet. The sound of him rummaging through his pack caught her attention, causing her to look back up at him in curiosity.

My mother's mask...

Elation passed through her as a wide, happy smile formed on her face. She reached for the mask, her vision blurring a little.

"Yeah.. my mother gave it to me a long time ago. She used to tell me these fantastic stories of men and women in beautiful gowns, extravagant parties... I thought it was lost forever..."

She gripped the edges of the mask tightly as she held it to her chest, afraid it might disappear if she didn't keep it close. However, as he shifted towards her, she looked back up at him, noticing how close he had gotten. She smiled, her gaze flicking around his face to make sure it wasn't some prank; old habits die hard. That's when she saw Jessica's head bob in the crowds, heading towards them. Panic flashed through her for a moment as she looked back at Daniel, trying to read if he knew about it.

"Oh, no..."

She said, her voice trailing off as her gaze flicked back towards Jessica and her clique getting closer. Her green eyes met hers and she felt her stomach drop. However, she wouldn't abandon him this time. She would stand here and try to protect him from Jessica.

Daniel was smiling before he saw Annie's reaction. He looked at the direction she was facing and saw his ex-girlfriend, leading her friends as they walked almost in unison,something out of a teen movie. Daniel eyes darted back to Annie who was holding her ground.It was impressive, but he felt he was the one who needed to protect her. He,after all, dragged her into this mess. 

"Stand behind me" he told her putting his hand on her stomach to pull her behind him. "It's not her fault Jess" he told the girl who had stopped in front of him. "We should talk about.." he added before Jessica cut off his words.

"Oh Daniel its fine! she smiled. " I realized that I actually did a lot of things to push you away. I'm far from perfect after all.." she explained looking at him with almost sincere eyes.

She turned her attention to Annie, who was looking over Daniel's shoulder. "If Danny likes you, you must be something right?" she smiled. " lets become friends" 

Daniel squinted his eyes at his ex. He was almost sure this was some kind of ploy. But was even Jessica capable of doing this? Daniel looked back to Annie and gave her a small frown. She must have realized something was off too. But what could either of them do? She was extending an olive branch.

"Why dont you join us for lunch today Annie? I'd love to more about you" smirked Jessica. As if practiced. More voices behind her spoke out. "Yeah,she seems fun. "Ive always kinda thought she was cool" " She has to sit beside me"

As Jessica and her posse approached, she quickly slipped her mother's mask into her messenger bag, not wanting to have to hold it during the confrontation. She wondered what kind of insults and cruel things Jessica was going to say to her. Having taken worse from her stepfamily, she didn't think that there was much else that the other girl could say to her that would upset her. As she started to step forwards, she felt Daniel block her, and shift her to where she was now standing behind him. 

As he moved her, trying to protect her from Jessica's wrath, it flattered her more than she thought it would. Gently, she placed her hand on his bicep as he moved her behind him. However, she wouldn't be totally blocked, she still stood half out, half behind him as she watched Jessica advance towards them. If it were just her alone, she didn't think that she would be as scary. However, having so many minions under her thumb, it made her very terrifying to have as an enemy, and Annie knew that she was the number one person she despised most of all. 

However, her opinion changed when Jessica seemed to be speaking sincerely. A small smile formed on her face as she looked at the other woman. Maybe she had changed? Everyone deserved a second chance, didn't they? She wondered to herself as she stepped out from behind Daniel, moving up beside him now when Jessica started speaking to him again. Hearing her express her want to get to know her, made her heart soar. Maybe she wasn't so bad after all? The other girl's chatter confirming her thoughts as she found herself speaking.

"I'd love to."

Oh boy, what am I getting myself into...

She smiled as the warning bell rang, signifying that class would start in just a few minutes. Her eyes flicked up to the nearest clock, the time showing just five minute before the first classes of the day started. Shooting Daniel a quick glance, she gave him a smile; she didn't want to be late for class, but wanted to make sure that he was still okay.

"Can we continue our conversation later?"

12:00 lunch time

Daniel waited outside Annie's classroom door. It wasnt too hard to find out which classroom she had been that time after learning who she was. "Hey there.." he said surprising her a little as she exited the classroom door. He wanted to try and hold her hand, but because the situation with Jessica was fresh, he decided against it.

They walked towards the cafeteria and opened the door together. When they stepped through, Daniel could feel some eyes on them. Most of the school had already known of the breakup, but only a few knew about Annie. Someone from Jessica's group had probably spilled the beans. They walked over to where teh cheerleaders were and saw some of them wave. Even when they were a couple, he didnt eat with Jessica but instead ate with his team.

"Are you sure about this?he asked her with a serious look. "You dont have to do it if you dont want to." he added looking at the group of girls surrounding the table. They had left an open place for her right next to Jessica herself.

" Sit down dear" smiled Jessica moving her postion just a little so the soace got bigger. She gave Daniel a smile as he slowly walked away to meet his own friends. Daniel looked back again to Annie. Would she be allright?

Walking out of her classroom, she startled a bit upon finding Daniel waiting there for her. A smile spread on her face as she stepped beside him. She had never dated before, usually never having time or people weren't interested in the quiet girl, so she didn't know what to do. Should she hold his hand? Embrace him? Kiss him? Nervously, she clenched her European History book to her chest, tightly. All her classes had evolved around different cultures of the world, and she loved reading about various places and historical sites. At one point, during their walk to lunch, her shoulder brushed his and she pulled away, apologizing.

As soon as they got to the school cafeteria, she faltered. Many faces turned to look at her and she felt herself redden under the scrutiny. However, if it weren't for Daniel standing beside her, or her friend Alex giving her a thumbs up across the room, she would have turned and fled. Looking up at Daniel, she gave him what she hoped was her best confident smile.

"Sometimes people change?"

She said, the end of her statement sounding like that of a question. Her blue gaze fell upon the seat that Jessica had reserved just for her. She felt her breath hitch in her throat as she strode towards them, ignoring the whispers filling the cafeteria, with her head held high. Taking the seat next to her, she gave the girl a friendly smile before starting to speak.

"I know what I did was wrong, and I'm so sorry to have come between you and Daniel... if there's anything I can do to make it up to you, just name it."

"Its completely fine!"smiled Jessica with a wave of her hand. "You two look so much better together"

All the other girls present nodded in agreement. Jessica took a sip from her coke and continued. "Im a Georgino, There are a lot of guys out there waiting for me" she laughed touching Annie lightly on the shoulder. "I totally understand Daniel and I still want to be his friend, this is why I need to know you more dear" again after saying this all the other cheerleaders gave their agreement.

They continued talking to Annie throughout lunch, mostly about shoes and the cute guys in their school when suddenly Ashlynn spilled the remainder of her coke on Annie's lap." Oh im so sorry" she pouted, taking out some tissue and trying to wipe off the coke. " Ashlynn, you bitch.. do you always do that to new friends" laughed Jessica before taking out her own handkerchief from her bag. " Are you ok?" She asked.

Daniel, suprised by the small commotion, stood up from his table and looked over to check on Annie. He sighed in relief when he realized it was just a little spill. It looked innocent enough not to be on purpose. 

Annie found herself smiling more than she thought she would during lunch. However, something still twisted in her gut that there was more here than met the eye. Upon feeling the icy cold soda pouring into her lap, she jumped up with a yelp, but it was too late and her jeans were soaked all down the right side. She attempted in vain to dry the soda, but it had already soaked through, and no amount of blotting would get it out. 

"Oh, no, It's okay Ashlynn. It was just an accident." She said, giving her a smile.

A few of the girls started feeling a little nugget of shame for what was about to happen. They knew that whatever Jessica had planned for the girl would happen before classes started again. One of them made the bold move and mide up her mind to tell Daniel. She smiled at Jessica and excused herself from the table, making an excuse to go talk to her boyfriend, who was sitting across from Daniel, and used that time to inform Daniel of what was to come.

"I'm going to have to run home and change, I'm sorry to cut lunch short." Annie said with an apologetic smile.

Daniel had finally gotten comfortable in his chair. He had already brushed aside the fact that Jessica might try something and exhaled in relief. Today would be the start. He would ask Annie to be his girlfriend and everything would be better. He finished what was left of his food before he noticed Sally, one of the cheerleaders, suddenly approach him. Sally's boyfriend Mike, also wondered why she had moved to Daniel's side. She whispered something to Daniel causing his his eyes to grow wide in shock.He instantly stood up and motioned to go to Annie but stopped when he saw the cafeteria doors swing open. It was the police. 

Jessica saw Sherrif Maloney and smiled. She made a little gesture pointing towards Annie who was already standing up. The sherrif and his 2 deputies made a beeline for Annie. He grabbed her bag and opened it. Taking out some stuff before suddenly finding a pouch. He opened the small pouch and dipped his finger..It was a white substance. He ran his finger quickly through his nose and coughed."Youre under arrest" 

Jessica gave a surprised expression as if out of breath. "Oh my God!" with some of the other cheerleaders reacting in the same way. "She even brought it to school" jeered one of them. The two deputies approached Annie from both sides and one of them grabbed her wrists. 

"Wait! It was me! I put that in her bag!" shouted Daniel quickly walking up in between the deputy and Annie. He couldnt think of any other way. " I put that there" he said again

"Dont be a fool Shepherd" growled the sherrif trying to push him aside.

"I confess.. It was me. I heard you guys coming and I saw her bag was open so I tried to get rid of it and.." he explained. All three police looked at him in a strange way. They received the tip from the Georgino girl, who they "respected" that the bag contained the stuff. Why was the tip givers boyfriend trying to steer the blame away from this girl. Still it was a clear confession and all the students in the cafeteria heard it.

"All right Shepherd ,Youre coming with us." he said cuffing Daniel and leading him out the door

At the sudden sound of the cafeteria doors being opened, she jerked her head up and stared at the police officer that had seemingly appeared out of nowhere. When they grabbed her bag was when she found her voice.

"Hey, what's the meaning of this?" She questioned, just as the officer pulled out a small bag of a white powder-like substance.

Her face paled as she looked from the pouch, to Jessica. The girl had set her up. Why she was shocked, she didn't know. Jessica had never been the nicest person... but she still had believed her when she said that she wanted to be friends. Tears threatened to spill as the officers moved to handcuff her. She had no way to prove that the drugs weren't hers, and she couldn't even begin to think what her stepmother would do. Suddenly, Daniel appeared beside her, claiming that they were his. Her brows furrowed at him, as he tried to take the blame from her. Throughout the entire conversation, she couldn't find her voice to stop them, but she wasn't sure what power she had to do so. It wasn't until they were pulling him away, did she find her voice. She felt anger inside herself as she turned towards Jessica.

"Why?" She demanded.

She couldn't understand it. Why was she so cruel? She couldn't grasp what joy she got out of causing other people so much pain and misery. And before she had a chance to answer her initial question, she spoke again.

"I don't know what happened to make you so cruel, but that boy did nothing to deserve this. You say that you love him, then stop." She said, trying to appeal to her humanity. "Look at what you're doing to Daniel. If you love him at all, then you will let him be happy."

She turned, grabbing her bag and pulling it up over her shoulder and then started to leave. However, after a moment, she turned back to the girls at the table, looking at each one of them before setting her gaze on Jessica.

"I forgive you." She said, then turned and strode out of the cafeteria, heading towards the parking lot.

Jessica was speechless. To her left and right all, all the girls were the same. Some even had their mouths open in shock. The whole cafeteria was silent as well. Nobody expected that situation at all. Some if Daniel's friends followed after Annie in the hopes of seeing what would happen to Daniel. 

About a minute later Daniel was lead into the police car.He offered no resistance so they didnt need to go rough on him. As the cars door closed he looked through the window and saw Annie exit the school door. He gave her a smile as if to say its ok before the car drove off.

"Sheperd, I dont know if youre too stupid to realize, but your too important to this town" growled the sherrif as he drive the car to the station.

"Why.. because im an Eagle?" he sighed leaning his head on the window wishing Annie would be allright after what happened. 

"You didnt need to cover for that girl.You and I both know youre clean as a whistle. If you retract your statement earlier, everything would go back to normal for you. You can play in tomorrows game.. everybodys happy" said the sgerrif looking at him through the rear view mirror.

"Did Jessica make the call to the situation? Sheriff you know as well as I do only she has the connections to get that pouch" explained Daniel with a sigh shaking his head.

"You of all people should know shes untouchable.. The luckiest thing you ever did was getting her as a girlfriend. I dont understand why you are doing this boy" he answered back. Daniel just sighed and limped back on the backseat. He made some mistakes in his life but defending Annie from this was definitly something he didnt regret. Football and his reputation was something he cared about but not as much as this girl who had changed his life.

They arrived at the station where a deputy lead Daniel to one if the holding cells.  He looked at the bars of the cell before turning around and sitting down on the bench which was nailed down to the floor. He frowned when he heard the sheriff talking to his dad over the phone.

" There goes the scholarships" he mumbled to himself dropping his head down. He wondered when he would see Annie again. Would she hate him for putting her through that in school. "I did my best to protect her.. hope she forgives me and says its not my fault" he hoped 

After watching them taking Daniel away in the far, she knew what she had to do. She wouldn't let him deal with this alone. Quickly, she sprinted to her truck and fumbled with shaking hands to get the key in the ignition. When it finally unlocked, she jerked the door open, barely missing the car parked beside her as she let herself in. The drive to the station was uneventful, as she wasn't trying to get a ticket as she raced there. She had a few thousand saved up, for her trip out of country, but she felt that it was best used for him. After all, he protected her from something that no one else would have.As she burst into the police station, she was met by a large officer who towered over her.

"Can I help you?" He questioned, arms folded.

"I'm here to talk to the arresting officer of Daniel Shepherd." She said, crossing her arms as well.

The male raised a brow at her, impressed by her mettle, and then turned and led her towards the office of the officer, who was on the phone with Daniel's dad. She didn't give the man a chance to hang up the phone when she started speaking.

"Neither Daniel, nor I, have a history of purchasing or selling drugs. With no evidence that either of us is a drug dealer, this case is going to be the laughing stock of the court, and whoever you decide to charge will most likely be acquitted. All you have is a tip from Jessica Georgino, who knew exactly where the drugs were. It seems a little odd that she would, don't you think? If I have to, I can and will hire an attorney to rip this case apart. I know that many people are fearful of the Georgino's, but I'm not willing to risk having Daniel's life screwed up as much as it will be if you charge him with this."

The Sheriff looked at her and heard her speak before he put the phone down. "That wont be necessary.." he told her expecting the phone to ring again. When it rang he picked it up and listened tot he person on the other end. "I understand Mr.mayor" he said before ending the call. He slowly stood up and picked up his coffee mug.

"Daniel is going to be released " he said taking a sip of his coffee as he slowly moved to the door. "A little slap on the wrist.. a few weekends of community service for the fake confession"he added as he turned around. 

The sheriff looked her in the eye as his voice changed from a calm relaxed voice to a serious one. "I dont know whats going on in that school of yours but you seem to be right in the damned middle." he told her pointing a finger at the college girl. "The Georginos put him in that cell and they got him out. You dont want to be on their wrong side.. especially against that daughter of theirs"

The sheriff turned around again and opened the door. he walked with her to Daniel's cell. When Daniel saw Annie he stood up and walked to the front. "Annie.." he said before the sheriff opened the door. He walked out and gave her a hug. "Im sorry" he said during the hug. His face looking at hers. "Ive brought so much trouble by entering your life"

Her confidence deflated at the Sheriff's comment. She had prepared for him to stand against what she said, so she had a whole speech worked out about how wrong it was, but hearing him saying it was unnecessary now left her speechless. She hadn't expected it to be so easy.

"Oh.." She managed to say, still in shock as to why it wasn't necessary anymore.

However, he started speaking, explaining why it wasn't. She listened as he picked up his mug, sipped it, and led them to the door. It made her happy that he was getting off so easily, but she still wondered what it would do to his reputation, or worse; his scholarships. Suddenly his tone changed and he was warning her about the Georginos. Her brows furrowed as she looked at him, hard.

"I'm not scared of what they will do to me. After a few more semesters, then I'm out of here, so they won't be much but a bad memory. Besides, I've faced worse than that Georgino girl could ever do to me." She said, walking with them until they got to Daniel's cell.

She breathed a sigh of relief as the Sheriff released him, moving forwards to embrace him tightly. Her head half buried in his shirt, she shook her head when he apologized.

"You have nothing to apologize for. She's only mad because of me." She countered with her head still in his chest. "I don't blame her, but I think she went about showing her dislike the wrong way. I don't want you putting yourself at risk just for me."

Slowly, she pulled back from him, shaking her head again as he spoke of how much trouble he's caused her.

"I can't let you risk your future for me." She said, her voice catching. "You have too much at stake and I won't be the one to ruin it..."

She chewed on her bottom lip, her gaze falling to the floor for a few moment before looking back up at him. For having only known him for such a short time, it felt like she was tearing her heart in two. She wanted to tell him to forget about her, and live his life, but she couldn't find the words. Her eyes started stinging as tears threatened to well up and spill over. No, if it was best for him, she would bear the burden of separating them. With a small smile, she wiped her eyes before taking a few steps back from him.

"I think it would be best if we... we weren't together." She lied, unable to meet his gaze as she spoke.

However, before he could get a word out, she would turn and walk away from him, heading towards the doors as tears began to fall. If it would keep Jessica from causing him grief, then she would have to endure the heartache she was putting herself through. A part of her wanted him to stop her, but she knew that would be too selfish of her to want that.

Daniel listened to her speak after his apology. He shook his head when she said it had been her fault. She had come under the queen bee's radar because of him and he felt bad that she thought it was her fault. When she said that they shouldnt be together his heart stopped for a second. He looked at her slowly back off and tried to speak but she turned around and walked out the door.

"Did she really mean that?" he thought to himself watching the closed door. He knew she wanted to end it to protect him. She probably saw his future in football as something she could ruin by remaining his. After all the start of their relationship had been met with heavy resistance, thanks to Jessica. He quickly ran through the door and caught her hand while she was slowly walking through the parking lot. He pulled it enough so that she would turn around. He watched her tears stream down from her eyes. "Hell no.." he told her gripping her hand tighter as they faced each other.

"Ive been waiting for you my whole life" he said with sad eyes. A Tear falling slowly down his left cheek.  "Now that i found you..Im not letting go" he added taking a step forward and kissing her on the lips before she could reply. " Whatever happens, I want it to happen with you" he said after the kiss. The expectations and the scholarships were not on his mind at all, just a scared feeling of losing the girl in front of him and going back to the  strange loneliness he had felt before he met her.

Once outside the door, she let herself cry as she tried to make her way to her truck. However she didn't get very far, when the sound of footsteps filled her ears and a warm hand grasping hers. Turning her head, she looked back at him as she cried. She tried to pull away, but he had her held firm, and she could feel her resolve slowly falling apart. If he didn't let go, she wasn't sure that she could walk away a second time. She closed her eyes, refusing to meet his gaze, for if she did then she wouldn't be able to leave.

I've been waiting for you my whole life.

Her heart stilled for a moment as she looked up at him, seeing tears in his own eyes. It felt like her heart was up in her throat as he moved towards her, closing the distance in one fell step. Suddenly his lips were on hers and she was rendered silent, his kiss stopping her protest before it could come. Hearing him say that he wanted to be with her, no matter what backlash he could receive from it made caused her to let out a choked laugh. She smiled and stepped back into him, bringing his lips to hers once again. When she broke it, she found her voice.

"I don't want to cause you further pain, but if you really are sure about this, then I don't want to lose you either." She said, resting her head on his chest again, hearing his heartbeat before adding, "What are we going to do about Jessica?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back