• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Beast Boy and Raven (Closed)

“It certainly wouldn’t hurt,” Rachel said automatically, looking up from her book just in time to see Garfield rubbing his side.
She frowned, deducing that despite her healing, the ache of the battle was still with him. They seem to have one every day since reconnecting. “But as I said before, you’re smarter than you show.”

Her eyes wandered over to the screen to see what he was playing. There was a weird orange dog fox thing running around collecting floating fruit. Weird.

“Should I even ask what this game is?”

Garfield shook his head, ferociously jumping on the heads of his enemies, deleting them from existence. “No way, I like doing things I’m good at.” He admitted. It seemed simple enough to Rachel but to Garfield it was video games that were simple to him.

He gasped unnecessarily and looked at Rachel for a millisecond, causing him to misjudge his jump and reducing the main character to nothing but a pile of shoes. Garfield leaned his head back in a groan. “I was so close to the checkpoint!” He sighed and pointed to his crazed animal on the screen. “This is crash bandicoot, it’s like a harder version of Mario.” Garfield figured Rachel was at least familiar with the red hatted plumber.

Mario was that little red guy with the mustache from Mariokart, and most likely the one the game is named after. She couldn’t understand how a racing game would be similar to an animal running on his feet, but she wasn’t going to ask because she saw he last question made him lose.

She turned back to her book and let him play in peace. The sound of the game wasn’t distracting, actually it was kind of nice to have something in the background to dull the silence of reading.

Rachel maneuvered herself to get more comfortable, turning sideways on the couch, staying in the sitting position but leaning back against Garfield’s shoulder. It was nice to be doing something each of them liked, but together. She smiled, happy he was here, and focused on her book.

Garfield was use to playing video games in silence besides the occasional noise complaint every once in a while. It felt like home to be simply trying to beat a video game and to top it off Rachel was there. Her initiated contact didn’t bother but was very relaxing. It wasn’t like it was something he thought about but he enjoyed the fact it happened so naturally without any awkwardness.

After a few levels Garfield peeked over at Rachel’s book, seeing her turn the page to a new chapter. He figured that meant he could talk to her without disrupting her reading. “Hey, whatcha reading bout?” Garfield asked, looking over Rachel’s head to see the words more clearly. He learned from last time and decided to pause the game.

Rachel looked up as she finished the chapter and noticed that the game was paused and the attention was on her.

“It’s called The House in the Cerulean Sea,” she replied, surprised he was curious about it. “It’s about a man who’s a case worker for a company in charge of orphaned magical youths. He’s assigned to go to this one orphanage to determine whether it should be shut down or not. Turns out one of the children there is the supposed antichrist.” She thought about the entrance of the 6 year old Lucifer from the story and how terrified the main character was to meet him. Rachel, of course, could sympathize with the little Satan.

“Might make a good movie one day,” Rachel added. “Although I’m only 6 chapters in.”

She then thought that maybe he paused the game because she was messing him up. “Sorry,” she apologized, sitting back up and silently chiding herself for doing something stupid.

Garfield figured Rachel was prepared to give a long worded explanation of the book and his mind began working double. Magic kids with no parents, got it. Antichrist? Anti means not. Christ is God, right? Not God? The Devil! “Oh that sounds pretty interesting.” He admitted trying to imagine the same thing in a film. Depending on what actually went on in the book it definitely could be a cool suspense movie.

When Rachel went to sit up he took the arm she was previously leaning on and wrapped it around her waist, gently pulling her back. “You don’t hafta be sorry, you didn’t do anything.” Garfield said leaving the arm around her and reconnecting his hands to the controller. He wasn’t sure why exactly she said sorry but He knew It was unnecessary. “It’s a cool book Rae, you should definitely keep reading it while I beat this game.” Garfield grinned before unpausing the game and continuing.

Rachel’s heart jumped at the sudden arm bringing her back to where she was. Something about his arm around her made what they were doing a whole lot more real. Physical touch was usually something she stayed away from, so her racing heart and mind argued whether this was ok or not.

You’re ok. You’re fine. This is fine. Nothing has changed. Just go back to your book.

Her mind won the battle, calming down her heart and putting focus back on the book. “Ok,” she said finally. “You’re on. We’ll see who finishes first.”

Deeper Rachel went into the world inside the book, and she forgot her initial worry of being so close to Gar. After a while, though, her focus started to dim. She read the same sentence over and over again, losing her place on the page. The book lowered down onto her lap, her hands falling to her sides. Then, slowly, her eyes began to close, the exhaustion of the day finally taking over and putting her to sleep.

Garfield’s competitive nature kicked in and he agreed before thinking about the actual deal. “You’re on!” As they began it only became real when he started to question his much was left of the game? Then again, how much was left of the book. With Rachel sort of propped up against his chest instead of his shoulder since his arm had moved, he could see the book was fairly thick. Can she read better than I can play video games?

Garfield began playing like his life depended on it and things only got harder. It was only when the sound of the book hitting the ground echoed throughout the living room did he look down at Rachel. She was…asleep? If he touched her she would probably wake up…. What was he supposed to do? How do you even fall asleep sitting up? Garfield supposed he want one to talk.

Garfield slowly moved to the end of the couch and guided Rachel’s head into his lap. He watched her legs simply stretch out and for the first time ever, Garfield looked at Rachel’s face from up close. Her peacefulness, her relaxed muscles, her gem, all of it something that hit a place in his heart he couldn’t figure out. He used the controller to turn off the game and leaned forward, sure not to disturb Rachel, to grab the remote and turn the TV off.

Garfield decided he would just sit here since he was scared lifting Rachel would definitely wake her, taking away that beautiful expression on her face. Beautiful? He meant peaceful, that peaceful expression. Unfortunately the next issue was were to put his arm. He couldn’t simply just rest it on her chest that would certainly get him chastised. He settled for the classic hands behind the head, leaning his neck to rest in the couch. After a few moments of darkness and quiet, Garfield too was soon asleep.

The light of a new day woke Rachel up, her first thought was disappointment in herself for forgetting to close the blinds so that she can sleep longer. She moaned as she slowly sat herself up on the couch and rubbed the sleep from her eyes. Stretching a bit, she noticed that her book had fallen on the floor, and then realization finally kicked in. She snapped her head around and saw that Garfield was sleeping right behind her, hands behind his head slightly tilted against the back of the couch. Her face turned red with embarrassment, and she was glad he wasn't awake to see it. Two nights in a row one of them fell asleep on the other.

"Wow. We really suck at sleeping," Rachel said quietly, taking a moment to monitor him. He seemed much more peaceful than he did the night before, no sleep-talking or shifting uncomfortably this time. Maybe he was having a good dream this time. She hoped so. She felt bad about him sleeping in an awkward position; someone was going to wake up with soar arms, and all because she fell asleep in them.

Nope. Not going to think about that. Meditation. Now.

Cautiously, Rachel stood up from the couch and glided over to the window overlooking Titan Tower. She lifted her feet and sat criss-crossed hovering in the air. Her arms lifted up adjacent to her waist and her pointer finger and thumb touched at the tip. She closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and started to chant silently to herself. Immediately she went to work focusing on her emotions, organizing, understanding, and gaining control of them.

Garfield muttered in his sleep, random muttering, when he felt the weight of Rachel leave his lap. Of course it didn’t wake him as the young man continued to sleep like a rock.

After about half an hour, passed by and the beast finally woke up. He yawned and rotated his shoulders consecutively to stretch them out. “Morning Rae.” Garfield scratched his head and stood up for more stretching. “You uh…you still like to float and meditate?” He pointed to Rachel’s levitating figure.

He hadn’t personally see her do it in quite some time but he knew it when he saw it. It use to be a sort of Do Not Disturb so he was currently staying where he was to not do the disturbing, as Starfire would say.

Rachel opened one eye and glanced through her peripherals at Gar. “It helps me find my focus. I’ve needed it a lot lately,” she replied flatly.

Closing her eye again, she delved once more into her mind. She was going to need to keep a clear head today especially if they’re facing off against Lex Luthor alone. Last night she promised no more Luthor talk, but today is another day. Some part of her thought, or rather hoped, that some old friends would recognize the signs given with the old Brotherhood headquarters being blown up to come an investigate. Maybe someone did and they just don’t know it yet. Either way, they can’t wait until someone shows up. And so, she meditates.

“Just give me a little while longer,” Rachel said after a few moments, not even opening her eyes this time.

Garfield didn’t think anything that happened would’ve or should’ve thrown off Rachel until he actually used his brain. Fighting villains after a peaceful three years could be pretty stressful to her and she needed to get some Rae time in. “Well while you do some relaxation and meditation, imma make us some breakfast.” He decided, turning to the kitchen and going over to the refrigerator.

He opened the freezer up and got out the waffles, putting them on the counter and surfed the cabinets. Once finding the tea he decided on the green one since it was obviously his favorite color, even though he wasn’t sure about the taste. He tossed the waffles in the toaster before looking at the tea. “I can just put his bag in the kettle thingy with water? Or do I put the bag in the cup?” Garfield asked before filling the kettle with water and putting it in the stove.

The smell of waffles in the toaster was what finally broke her trance, the only food that can amicably do so.

“Tea bag goes in the cup,” Rachel said, releasing her hands but not yet leaving the hovering position. Her eyes opened back up and she took a moment to look at the tower, like she did every morning.

She lowered herself onto her feet and took one final deep breath before turning around to see what was going on in the kitchen. Garfield looked chipper as ever, watching the kettle as the waffles popped out of the toaster.

“Thanks,” Rachel said, touched that he was making her tea without her asking.

Garfield nodded his head and went back into the cabinets for a couple of mugs. He brought them to the counter and tossed the bags at the bottom of the cups. “No sweat Rae, it’s the most I can do right?” It reminded him of when they took turns making breakfast at the tower. Luckily there was no issue with cleaning up since it was only a couple plates and cups.

At the sound of the waffles popping out of the toaster, Garfield grabbed them, juggling them in his hands not realizing they would be this hot. “Ahh!” He plopped them successfully on the plate and exhaled in relief. “You sleep alright?” Garfield asked while eyeing the kettle then Rachel, tearing off a piece of waffle and throwing it into his mouth.

Rachel stifled a grin, deciding not to correct him that it was the “least” he could do, not the “most.” Her hidden grin was wiped clean off her face when he asked how she slept. Did he want to talk about it? She wanted to forget it ever happened.

“Fine,” she said stiffly. She looked down and noticed that she hasn’t picked up her book from the floor yet. It was a welcomed distraction.

“H-how about you?” She asked.

Garfield rotated his shoulders one after another before turning to face Rachel. “I dunno dude my arms hurt a little but besides that pretty awesome.” He explained downing the first waffle after finishing the little bits he tore off. Personally he hasn’t thought about things being awkward for her since he was fairly chill about it. He picked up the plate and extended it towards Rachel.

“I know you want a waffle.” Garfield raised his eyebrows up and down teasingly. It wasn’t anything special but waffles were amazing, probably the changeling’s favorite breakfast item.

In the most deadpanned tone possible, Rachel replied, “You know I love waffles more than life itself.” Once again, waffles have saved her life, this time from awkward conversation. She graciously took the plate and sat herself down at the kitchen table.

“So I’m guessing you won the bet. I didn’t finish my book last night,” Rachel said, taking a bite of waffle. “Did you beat your game?”

Garfield laughed nervously, unsure if there was meaning to the words Rachel had just spoken or if she was messing with him. Sometimes it was hard to tell with her expression and tone. He’d learn over time the differences in jokes and serious hopefully.
“Well when you fell asleep I didn’t wanna wake you so I just went to sleep… But I definitely woulda won no way you coulda beat me!”

Garfield heard the kettle whistle and jumped slightly, turning to face it. “Is it safe to touch it even though it’s hot?” He asked, cautiously moving his hand towards the kettle.

"Wait!" Rachel reached out and held back his hand with a shield of magic. "The handle won't be hot, but the rest of it will." She stood and walked over to turn off the stove. Without fear, she lifted the kettle by the handle and flicked open the nozzle. Slowly the steaming water was poured into the tea cup.

"Ta da." Rachel placed the kettle back on the stove before picking up her tea cup. "Tea."

She made her way back to her seat with her Tea, blowing gently on it as she went to cool it off. The perfect breakfast was right in front of her, so she couldn't help but lighten her mood. Maybe everything will be ok today after all.

"I'm a pretty fast reader, and that game looked difficult. I think I have the advantage," she said swallowing a mouthful of waffle.

Garfield tensed up and backed away from the kettle while Rachel did her thing. He had no clue about kettles in general besides the fact they whistled and that was only because of cartoons, and yesterdays experience as well.

“Whoa you shoulda been a magic woman Rae. You woulda been waaaaaay better than anyone I seen before.” He said in reference to their old enemy, Mumbo. Garfield shook his head “Yeah but I’m the best video game player you ever seen.” He pointed out and decided it best to let his tea sit before he touched it.

Last edited:
“You don’t have much competition there,” Rachel said with a grin. She could the number of people she has seen play video games on one hand.

Thinking of the other people brought her back to what they were going to be doing today. She glanced at Garfield. Based off of yesterday, she had a feeling he would rather not go face Lex Luthor today. They were, unfortunately, in the lucky position of knowing where his hidden base is in Jump City, so they can stop him before he even begins whatever plans for Jump City he’s cooking up.

“So… about Lex Luthor,” Rachel began slowly.

It was good to see Rachel’s mood improve several fold until she cleared her throat and seemingly got more serious. Garfield heard her out and began fidgeting with a waffle while sitting in the chair, tearing it into small squares before popping them into his mouth one by one. “Yeah what about him….” He asked not meeting her gaze.

He may not have been the smartest but Garfield knew where this conversation was heading. It wasn’t that he didn’t want to stop Lex, that was the natural hero in him, but it was merely the dangerous factor of the task. “I know I know but Rae I’m scared to do this with just the two of us. Luthor seems like a really smart dude and I bet he’s gonna have way more bad guys waiting for us next time.” Garfield explained his reasoning.

Rachel looked down at her half-eaten waffles. She didn't want to admit it outright, but she was afraid as well. She was the one who didn't want to do the whole superhero thing again from the start. It was all very risky and dangerous, but somehow it roped her in, just like last time.

"I've been thinking about that too," she said quietly. "I didn't want to tell you, but when we were at the library, I searched for Starfire and Robin, and Titans East too. I couldn't find any way to contact them... I think you're right, it would be foolish for us to try and stop him by ourselves. We have no clue what we're walking into."

Then, an idea came to her. Lex Luthor was a new foe for them, but not for everyone. She couldn't find their friends, but there were more heroes out there. They just had to find them.

"What if... What if we went to Metropolis instead?" Rachel suggested. "We might not get the Justice league, but maybe there's someone else there who can help us."

Garfield was glad that he and Rachel were on the same page this time when talking about Lex. He was expecting a debate, which he would’ve most likely lost, but instead was greeted by sort of good news. “Oh so that’s what you was doing.” He looked up, finally meeting her gaze.

Garfield scratched his head but kept listening to Rachel anyways. “Uhhh hows that gonna help? We don’t know no one in Metropolis that isn’t with the Justice league.” He explained. “It’s not like we can just go to the middle of the street and yell ‘Hey dudes it’s us the new heroes and we needs some help.’.” Garfield explained.

She frowned. “I didn’t think about that. I forgot not everyone is as obvious as we were, having a giant T for a home.”

Rachel looked over to the window to see the mentioned “T”. How fearless they were, believing they could take on anything so there was no reason to hide.

“Well… what’s one sure-fire way to get a hero out of hiding?” She asked, a plan starting to form in her brain, but not one she was sure they should go through with. Rachel turned her attention to the bag of paints they almost used to paint Garfield to be the same color as a tiger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back