• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Battle for Kazragun

Gathering around the fire, Baird noticed that the old man, mage, was named Corduf. He'd remember that for future reference. As for the proceedings he watched as Bjarni explained the mission; they were meant to scout out the area and to figure out what was there. Orcs were also roaming so they needed to be careful, however, there was an elven tribe there and that piqued Baird's curiosity. "I have a question actually," he said whilst raising his hand, "so you said that there are elves within the forest correct? If you had prior contact with them, how long ago did you lose contact?"

@Silanon @Dicer @Orikanyo @Kiroshiven @Ritzy @Sherwood

Veskassdak took the map and started to draw on it. In no sense would Veskassdak be considered an artist let alone a cartographer. However his primitive style of drawing was sufficient to depict the hazards of the swamp. He had no idea of the location of the elven communities so he could not add those to his rendition of the swamp.

When he finished, he handed the map back to Kalib.

"Ssswamp good on map now," he said. "Walk sssafe when low water and when high water."

Pointing at parts of the map he began, "Sssink ground. Big animalsss. No walk." As well as other hazards in the swamp. Finally he pointed to one trail leading to the mark in the upper left corner.

"Here sssafest path, but ssstill hasss danger. We careful be go to here."

Last edited by a moderator:
"When did wa lose da contacts to da elves? Pretty much when da orcs started tha invasion. Y'know, tha were quite a few out tha, livin all over da place. But tha were the first to be hit, and da were unprepared just like da humans an' all da others."

Before Bjarni can continue, Corduf interrupts him. "As far as they told us, they had all met for a holy ritual when the orcs surprised them out of nowhere. A few managed to escape southwards - but our armies were unorganised, and so they eventually returned to their Gods, one by one. Might be that a few of them can be found in the southern forests with their cousins - if so, they'll probably join us once the elves decide to send help."

Kalib takes the map, giving a thankful nod to the lizardman. "So that's da one we use, right?" He points at the one you showed, just to make sure he doesn't send dozens of men into their undoing. "Da company will take da route, then - could have used da info earlier, but at least some wan't get wet feet after all." Taking a closer look, he points somewhere petween Damos lookout and the areas Veskassdak marked as sink grounds. "Da place y'ar lokking far has to be somewha here, then - betta make sure you don't get too far north."

"It seems we arrived just at the right moment. Arete is wise in her judgement." Aeon murmured at the others. He was intrigued at the lizardman. He reminded him of the stable hand "Snot" at his old master's estate. The bastard liked to keep all manor of races around, not just humans. He tried to learn a little of his language, but he was a serving boy, and serving boys did not go outside the manor. Still, he had seen him on occasion from the windows, or during the brief periods when he was allowed in the manor. He remembered that he said he was going back home after the heroes rescued them. Aeon hoped that he made it and was ok. He was staring at Veskassdak lost in thought. 

Veskassdak saw one of the mammals staring at him. He was not sure, but if it is a predator stare he would be ready to strike back with his claws and bite it if needed.

He hoped it was not.

"Mammal. You ssstare asss predator. You war Veskassdak?" he asked warily.

Aeon was caught. "No I'm not trying to eat you." He mumbled the word for friend in a terrible accent that Snot had taught him. He thought his pronunciation was ok, but the lizardman probably thought he'd been dropped on his head a few times. "You remind me of an old friend, sorry if I made you uncomfortable."

Veskassdak was surprised. He had not expected the mammal to apologize. Then the mammal called him breed-mate. Since breed-mate was close in pronunciation to friend, he figured the mammal must have learned the word from another of his kind, but had mangled how to say it.

He started to chuckle, then laugh, then bent over in hilarity.

Once he was able to control himself, he said, "Mammal, choossse you breed-mate word. Breed-matesss we cannot. Both male we. Friend word be 'kassu'. 'Kashu' be breed-mate. Laugh needed me. You good mammal. Name you give from clan what are?"

Baird was surprised at how fast the elves fell to the orcs, must have been quite the surprise. Nevertheless, Baird nodded and spoke, "It would be beneficial if any surviving elves decided to join us." Meanwhile he noticed the lizard man, Veskassdak and Aeon getting along, or what looked to be it. He only heard bits and pieces of what the conversation was about, but decided that it wasn't worth listening in. So he turned his attention back to the strategy and planning of the meeting.

@Silanon @Ritzy @Orikanyo @Kiroshiven @Dicer @Sherwood

Aeon was a little hurt at the laughter, thinking his offer of friendship was rebuked, then the lizardman explained and he let out a belly laugh. "Yes that is certainly not what I meant, kassu." He thought for a moment. "I was born a slave...but I was part of an adventuring company called the Silver Wolves. So I guess I'm Aeon of the Silver Wolf Clan." 

"Aeon of the Sssilver Wolf Clan," Veskassdak repeated. "Isss hard to sssay all. Me mammal talk new. Ssso mammal call all."

Though his expression would be hard to read for a mammal, so too is his ability to read mammalian expressions. He hoped he was able to say the name correctly. Mammals can be so hard to understand. He really did not know why they have names that don't describe their history well.

Wren listens to the conversation between the lizard man - Veskassdak, he's not just a thing, after all, and Aeon.  Not knowing if he would take it as a challenge, she doesn't offer up her hand to shake, but instead gives a bow.  "Welcome, Veskassdak.  I am called Wren, and I hope to be a friend of yours, even if I am just a silly mammal." 

Kalib nods to the remark about the elves. "True words, y'know. But da damn politics make da whole thing a mess in this case." Following the introductions silently, he waits for Wren's turn before raising his voice yet again. "If ya don't have any more question, I'd propose ya get to know each other betta along da way - should be enough daylight left ta make a few miles. And if it rains again tomorrow, ya won't have much more light anyway." Looking at the map, he once again shows the area where he expects the old village to be, then points out one of the tracks Vesskassdak marked. "You probably take dat one afterwards, should make sure ya meet up with da order and da other bunch of us along da way. Y'all brought ya rations, right? And yar trinkets - apart from da lizardman, of course." As he says that, he gets out a small brooch, made out of simple metal. It shows a dwarven emblem, surrounded by dozens of others, representing the people that are part of the company. "Yar tribe is missing for now, but we'll make sure that wa get it added eventually.  Show dat one to da purser when ya reach da camp, ya wan't get yar pay otherwise." He hands it over to Vesskassdak, then looks in the round once again, trying to see if there are more questions to be answered.

Wren nods, her hands going to the hilts of her short swords without even thinking about it.  "Sounds pretty straight forward.  We find the orcs, we kill 'em.  If we run into the elves, save them and try to get them to a rally point to help out the incursion as a cohesive unit, instead of just drips and drabs.  So, is there anyone here that is a good tracker?  We will probably need that to find these green-skinned goons."

The mammal naming herself Wren bowed in the act of subservience before Veskassdak. Only the certain knowledge that she did not know what she offered, kept him from accepting the offer.

"Mammal," he spoke. "When kassu show you, kassu become. Ally until then am we."

He turned to the short furfaced mammal, this time understanding a few of his words.

"Have rations yes."

Accepting the small metal brooch, he looked it over with a little confusion, then pinned it to his hide shirt. If he understood the jist of what it meant, he would not be attacked at the next camp.

"Veskassdak ready."

He holds his fist to the short furfaced mammal to honor the furfaced mammals tribe.

After that he left with the others to save mammals from green mammals, orcs.

Baird simply stayed silent for his gifts had yet to show themselves until the correct time. When he was given the task and before he left he spoke in dwarven to Kalib, "May Dragons guide you to riches" before heading off with everyone else. Along the road, he approached Veskassdak and spoke in common to him, "I don't think we've met yet Veskassdak, my name is Baird Starson and I think you and I have a bit in common after all."

@Dicer

As there seems to be no open questions, both Kalib and Bjarni wish you a safe travel under the guarding hand of Torag, God of the dwarves. Their guess is that you'll be on your way for at least three days, depending on whether you find something or not. It is Bjarni who remarks that in the latter case, you shouldn't waste too much time wandering through the swamps - after all, Kazragun itself is the threat that needs to be taken care of. The mage is nowhere to be seen as you leave the camp certainly not a tenth of a day later than you arrived - he might look for the injured man, or send message of the trail to be taken to the Order.

Assuming you trust in the knowledge of Vesskassdak, you have no problem finding the path that suits your needs to travel directly northwards best. To either side, the grasslands slowly turns into puddles, gradually getting deeper as you leave the tents further behind. While the vegetation is by no means dense, there are quite a few bushes and the like to be seen at first. However, they vanish as you move on further and further, as only the trees seem to be able to find somewhat solid ground. The exception to this are paths like the one you are moving on, covered by greyish grass that somehow manages to hold the muddy ground together to form a reasonable passage way.

It takes about an hour until you reach something similar to a crossing: The trail you followed thus far turns westwards, although the lizardman knows that it'll turn northwards eventually. It is probably the safest bet, but he knows for certain that there is no elven village even close to it - so you'll probably have to leave it eventually. The alternatives right now are a thinner path, leading more in the eastern direction - it's muddier than the one you're on for now, and the grass seems to continue to grow quite well on it. Third option is a track straight north - the direct way, but the grass here is rather colorless, and it won't take more than a few steps to get your feet wet.

Which one do you choose?

Veskassdak looked at the mammal walking next to him and was curious. What did he mean by him having a bit in common with Veskassdak's people. He looked like any other mammal.

Once they reached a crossing, he could no longer resist asking the question the mammal presented. He asked, "What common we have, mammal?"

Answering in a hushed voice, Baird responded, "We're both not entirely human, well at least in your case your not human." Baird quietly transformed one of his hands into a golden scaled claw to show Veskassdak what he meant before it went back to being a normal hand. "We're both beasts, sort of, except I'm part Dragon. I trust you can keep this to yourself until the proper time?"

@Dicer

"Your equipment marks you as...different, Wren," Aeon said cautiously. "I saw similar equipment on the man I tended to, a noble hurt in defense of his homeland. Is there a story you have to tell? After all, you already know mine." He said, gesturing to his tattoos. He would let her speak or remain silent as she chose, not judging either way.

He looked at the paths and stood there for a moment, when they got there. "Well. I'm no great thinker. In fact my real Master said I had great common sense, and terrible book smarts. So, which path do we choose?"

Wren blinks a few times at Aeon.  "Is it that obvious?  Yes, I'm not quite the heroic adventurer that I wish to be.  I'm on the run from my parents and fiancé, and I would hope that if anyone else asks about a woman named Gwendolyn Rae, you have never seen or even heard of her before.  Please.  I left that life behind me, wanting something different.  I'm just Wren now."  She pulls her cloak around to hide the fine blades, hoping to keep them from advertising that they are the product of the great swordmaker Geren Tal. 

Veskassdak flinched at seeing the mammal's hand transform to a scaly claw and back. He had heard stories of sklaheemgor, but this was his first encounter with one. The stories also told that sklaheemgor were dangerous and not to be crossed. Still he took affront at being called a beast.
"No," he started with his gaze turning to look into the distance. "Wrong isss you. Not beassst. Isss Arsu'sayp Nohprem. Here my kind before mammalsss. Were great forcesss usersss. Many made thingsss before all lossst. Now all time forgotten. Humble by time Arsu'sayp Nohprem. When time remember, return great thingsss. When time remember, Arsu'sayp Nohprem again world rule."
He returned he gaze back to the sklaheemgor mammal.
"From Veskassdak no tell sklaheemgor isss you. Isss sssecret not mine telling."

Baird's comment about Veskassdak being a beast was vehemently opposed via Veskassdak in question. However, he was willing to keep the fact that Baird was a "Sklaheemgor" or whatever that meant. "I'm sorry I misspoke then, and thanks for keeping it a secret. I'm trying to figure it out myself, but only time will tell what becomes of it." It was true to a fault, he had only recently discovered that he was part dragon, but he still wanted to try to figure out the extent of his powers and how he could use them to help. Looking over briefly at everyone else, Wren and Aeon seemed to be getting along, about what though? Baird made a mental note to talk to Wren and Aeon when he got the chance. 

@Dicer

"That part won't be a lie." Aeon said simply "After all, all I know is Wren. No matter who you are, you are twice the woman as those idly sipping tea and letting soldiers die in their stead. I'm sure we'll be sung about. If Arete wills it." He said with kindness. 

"No one speaking up?" Aeon said with a smile. "Don't blame you. Who wants to be hated in case things go south? How about the colorless trail? That way if things go bad we can all curse my bad luck. I know I will." He said the last part with a wink and a rouge's smile.

They had no real leader. Aeon was taught to defer. Hell his whole life he was taught to deffer. Still his real Master told him that a true man stepped up when there was chaos. A man of Arete calmed and led if the situation demanded it. He was't one for order, but he was one for cohesion, 

After looking around, Veskassdak nodded in agreement with Aeon.

"Go that way, no pointy ear ssskinny mammalsss," he said pointing westward.

"Go that way too nissse," he said pointing east. "Hiding pointy ear ssskinny mammal village not good."

Pointing north in the direction of the colorless grass. "Go that way look ssstupid idea. Bessst way hide pointy ear ssskinny mammalsss. Bessst chanssse find when going no look fun."

Following the lead of the only one familiar with these swamplands, you start to move forward, taking the least appealing track - in hope that it'll lead you to the place you're looking for. Soon enough, most of you manage to get wet feet, with the mud enclosing your shoes after every step. The grass is slippery as well, and covers a few rather trappy spots. Even for the lizardman, the trail proves to be quite tricky. Once, he almost loses his footing, but manages to find solid ground before plundging into the blackish-brown sludge.

As you move on, the ground starts to be partly covered by a thin layer of water, adding splashing sounds to your squelching steps. Those watching out to the sides can see lenthly shadows gliding on the water's surface further away from time to time - between the six of you, it is the human adventurer Wren and the kitsune Fi who spot one of those shadows a good bowshot behind you, seemingly following the path in a distance of around twenty feet. For now, it seems to move slower than you, but it might catch up if you keep getting slowed down by the terrain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back