• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Baldurs gate: anyone keen?

NeonFlow

The one who made Aerth
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
This wouldn't be us role-playing baldur's gate 3. This would be us role-playing in the same world with my own take on a illithid plot.
No chosen three, no tadpoles in the protagonists, but there is a illithid problem that plagues baldur's gate and beyond.

Hoping for three or four players who have played baldur's gate 3 or enough dnd to understand the subject matter.
The matter of dice and stats can be determined by the players and myself as I'm not sure if the site or discord does dice better. Or if players prefer dice or not.

If you have questions or want to show interest post below. The cs would copy dnd in the way of stats, bonuses, etc etc

I am not familiar with Baldur's Gate, but I have played DnD before. Would you be willing to help me out with setting stuff or do you want people that is more familiar with the setting?

I am not familiar with Baldur's Gate, but I have played DnD before. Would you be willing to help me out with setting stuff or do you want people that is more familiar with the setting?
There isn't that many changes as far as I know, they adapted the current 5e rules and mechanics, races lore etc for their newest video game.

Its how I know gnomes have cunning advantage on wis, int, and cha.
Its how I know storm sorcerers can fly after using a spell.
Its just that sorta shit. My main concern is if we'll use dice or not as I'm happy either way but I'm unsure how to set up dice on the site

Last edited:
There isn't that many changes as far as I know, they adapted the current 5e rules and mechanics, races lore etc for their newest video game.

Its how I know gnomes have cunning advantage on wis, int, and cha.
Its how I know storm sorcerers can fly after using a leveled spell.
Its just that sorta shit. My main concern is if we'll use dice or not as I'm happy either way but I'm unsure how to set up dice on the site
Dice rolling is simple enough. Once you make a post, go back in and edit it. That brings up the dice roller. You then put in the number of dice you want to roll and the number of faces and hit the roll dice button.

If we used dice that would determine a fair bit of in game stuff from battle, observation, conversation and general luck. i can't see many people wanting to write half a post, post it to edit and roll dice and then finish the post determined by the number.

I could be down for it but it might be easier to have a discord just for dice related stuff

As a long time game master here, I personally like having the dice roller. It helps to keep everyone honest, since the posted roll can't be deleted. That being said, whatever works for you is what you should do.

If you want to keep everything here and not use discord, I would enjoy a DnD game. If not, no worries.

As a long time game master here, I personally like having the dice roller. It helps to keep everyone honest, since the posted roll can't be deleted.
Any chance you could pm me a link to a game you've played on site so I can see how it went in terms of players post length an overall dice results aha

Any chance you could pm me a link to a game you've played on site so I can see how it went in terms of players post length an overall dice results aha
Sure. I'm at work at the moment and posting from my phone, but once I get home I can look up some games that I've run and played in.

I can tell you that my good friend Purr Purr has a pair of games listed in the Hosted Projects board that I've been a part of for a very long time. He is one that does not like to use the dice roller here, and prefers to use his own dice to make all the rolls fort his players. Even with that one quirk, he is one of the best Storytellers I've had the pleasure of gaming with, and the second that I hear him thinking of running another game I'll be there in a heartbeat. It also helps that I've known him in Real Life since we were both in high school together, and I'm in my early fifties (old man that I am).

The two games he's running is Robotech: Broadsword and Sharseya. Check them out, but I warn you that they have both been running for years and there is a lot to look over.

Assuming we go with stats the character sheet will copy bg3/dnd in the same way. We start as level 1 and no stat above 17 and none lower than 8.

Racial bonuses will apply like halflings rerolling a 1 or duregar learning invisibility and enlarge as cantrips.
Dragonborn got shafted in the game so I may need to brush up on them as I hear they are much better in tabletop

If anyone wants to get a start on it feel free as I'll post a cs page once I have a concrete idea of whose keen.
On said page I will have figured out the stat points we all start with.

I have two competing ideas that l want to run past you. The first is a human cleric named Gurk the Gross that was cursed at birth to be the ugliest man alive. I would have his Cha as low as I can possibly get it, even if it doesn't provide any point bonus for it.

The second idea is a minotaur paladin, raised by a holy order of divine knights.

Any thoughts on these two ideas?

Id need to look up stats for a Minotaur before saying yes or no. The curse can work aswell if its just the reason to make charisma your lowest stat.

Main thing is each character would be starting as makeshift guards for a wagon travelling to the city. Then trouble breaks out...

My idea for a character would be a halfling fey warlock or bard/Sorcerer of some kind.

Are we using the point buy method for attributes?

My idea is Monk. Depending on the allowed sub-class Sun Soul would be cool. (Doesn't have to!) If not I'll go Open Hand.

Last edited:
a dnd game, a baldurs gate 3 inspired dnd game. in this economy.
im in!
My variant feral tiefling barbarian, and depending on stuff will go either wild magic, giant or zealot later on.
or in case that aint quite right
a Owling Rogue, phantom/swashbuckler/arcane trickster.
or
A dwarf Fighter samurai/battle master, with a 3/4 level dip in barbarian ancestral or totem
all depending on various stuff and us eventually surviving and leveling up to 3rd lvl

Last edited:
I’m a major fan of dnd (and playing through act 2 of BG3 rn) so am definitely interested in joining in.

I’m a major fan of dnd (and playing through act 2 of BG3 rn) so am definitely interested in joining in.
i am playing BG3 again, cause my partner dipped out on me in middle of act 2. and i hate playing games like those alone.

Are we using the point buy method for attributes?
I don't know what that means sorry.

As for everyone else showing interest im happy you've arrived. Some of you have mentioned things i assume comes from the tabletop version of 5e like "samurai" and "sun souls" so just know that all the dnd stuff is allowed but you may need to send me a link so I can get caught up.

Most of my dnd knowledge comes from bg3 and watching campaigns on YouTube.

do not worry my friend you have a few nerds here and i know a handy website that has a lot of dnd stuff for free.
and for point buy it one of many methods of stat/attribute part of character creation.
it also includes standard array and rolled stats, and the BG3 method of character creation is point buy or to explain further.

Point Buy- You get 27 total points to spend, the base value of each ability score is 8, each ability score above 8 costs 1 point to buy, except for 14 and 15, which costs 2 points each.
Points cannot buy ability scores higher than 15. You must spend all of your points at level 1, so you cannot save them for later [as if they could do anything later on]

then on that you add the racial ability score bonuses and such. gonna link it here to a good video explanation of all methods of character creation in dnd.

Last edited:
Awesome, yea we are using point buy.
I didn't realise that's the name for what I planned on using.
I was copy pasting alot from bg3 and adding my own plot to it.

Without to many spoilers illithids are the main threat and the party will find themselves in the underdark more than once.

Take that as you will

well then the only question left for most of us for character creation is Equipment on start.
are we doing the default equipment on start so based on background and class, or are we doing gold based one, so we get all that in gold and we just buy ourselves the stuff.

Quick answer is a little bit of both,

Long answer is...
Im going by the logic that most people in this world are "level 0" and adventurers/guards/soldiers etc with a class of any sort being the ones who gain levels.

It starts with the party on the road after being hired to guard a caravan heading towards the city of baldur's gate. So everyone should have the bare minimum equipment of their starting class. Maybe one weapon or item they splurged on before reaching the starting point of the story.

I can make things easier on you by going with my human cleric idea with the Life domain for the healing ability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back