• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Axiom: A Sci-Fantasy Pathfinder Campaign [ACCEPTING NEW PLAYERS]

Since we seem to be playing so many divinity-orientated character, I'm thinking we might have it so the church is funding our operations? Which also makes sense since Lewis is going there since a his father (a missionary) disappeared looking for the same treasure. I think it'd make a nice story hook.

That's one of the issues I was having with choosing a monk. After reading more about the class I don't know how well a regular monk would do in the current setting. Sure it gets the ability to dodge bullets, but guns are way more common in this campaign than the Dragonstar setting.

Are they? That'd surprise me a little.

What scares me about guns are the x4 damage on a critical.  Ouch.

Hm, perhaps I could change the critical bonus of firearms to make them more balanced with melee weapons? I'd like melee weapons to still be useable.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've read anyway. Lots of characters in dragonstar can use guns, but it seems like they're kind of an expensive thing. Maybe I'm wrong though? Still if you'll let me use this archetype I think I'd much prefer it over the standard monk.http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/flaming-crab-games---monk-archetypes/gunmetal-mystic

It pretty much solves the problem I was having with choosing a monk in the first place.

Sure.

Oh: To answer your question on guns: I think the prices listed are before taking into account how common guns are in the setting (which mechanically effects their price) but I'm not sure.

I saw that before and I think your right. It says exactly:

" The costs listed for the various weapons and gear here represent the costs associated with a world where guns are everywhere, and thus cost 10% of the amount they would cost in a place where they are rarer. "

So yeah I think those are the exact prices we want to be going by.

So one thing I'm curious about is the Technical Proficiency feat. Isn't that something we'd all have considering, as far as I understand it, have all been in deep space? I'm mostly asking because I realized that neither of you have it on your list of feats despite the dragonstar doc saying we get it for free whenever we've been exposed to technology after a fair amount of time... Which I feel like we would be.

Also I'll be posting a WIP sheet soon. I think I'm going to make a doc of the Gunmetal Mystic archetype because going through all of this, it's not immediately clear what the archetype gives you when you level. You have to do a lot of page jumping to figure out what's going on with the class thanks to its page not being as refined as the main class pages.

I hadn't even thought about the Technical Proficiency Feat; I'm so used to making up characters in a typical Pathfinder setting.  If I were to place a vote, I would say that it would be a free Feat.  It would make sense in a highly industrialized society.

I agree, save for maybe characters that are basically dumb and from the worst of slums, I think we'd all be able to have that feat. The rulebook basically says it's a free feat anyway, save for specific classes, but that's for a less advanced setting than what we're seeing.

Also are we just making planets up from the backstory or is there a list to go by that's going to be made?

That's cool with me.

Also I posted my WIP character sheet I got from the pathfinder character sheet you provided. I'll probably pretty it up to make it more forum friendly and also find a way to get rid of that super gross brown but in the mean time go over it and tell me if I did everything right.

The archetype I chose had some weird complications to it so it might have thrown some stuff off after I figured out how I should build the character.

That's cool with me.

Also I posted my WIP character sheet I got from the pathfinder character sheet you provided. I'll probably pretty it up to make it more forum friendly and also find a way to get rid of that super gross brown but in the mean time go over it and tell me if I did everything right.

The archetype I chose had some weird complications to it so it might have thrown some stuff off after I figured out how I should build the character.

Everything checks out so far. Wouldn't a monk have spells they can cast, though?

Are we traveling about on one planet, or are we going interstellar? 

Are we traveling about on one planet, or are we going interstellar? 

Yes :)

I was originally thinking of trying interstellar, but I'm kind of starting to think we might try something like Wizardry 8 where we're space explorers stranded more or less on one planet searching for one treasure.

I think that might be better since it lets us stay "grounded" onto one planet and explore it more fully.

According to the class page, monks don't get spells. I'll get things that work similar to spells at later levels, but the class ended up being a fine mix of monk/gunslinger where I don't get abilities from both, but rather I get the ability to use a gun with Flurry of Blows which lets combo powerful gunshots with lethal unarmed strikes. 

I like to think of the character fighting like they do in the movie Equilibrium. 

According to the class page, monks don't get spells. I'll get things that work similar to spells at later levels, but the class ended up being a fine mix of monk/gunslinger where I don't get abilities from both, but rather I get the ability to use a gun with Flurry of Blows which lets combo powerful gunshots with lethal unarmed strikes. 

I like to think of the character fighting like they do in the movie Equilibrium. 

Sure. In fact, that's kind of the inspiration for my character as well (though there's no reason you can't do it, too).

The movie Equilibrium? Because that'd be a funny coincidence. 

Alex won't be anything like those characters in personality though that's for sure. 

To double check though, I get a new feat of my personal choosing every third level or something, yes? Because all my bonus feats are locked as grit feats but without other feats I won't actually be able to meet the prerequisites for most of them.

The movie Equilibrium? Because that'd be a funny coincidence. 

Alex won't be anything like those characters in personality though that's for sure. 

To double check though, I get a new feat of my personal choosing every third level or something, yes? Because all my bonus feats are locked as grit feats but without other feats I won't actually be able to meet the prerequisites for most of them.

Equilibrium? Actually yes, surprisingly. I mean, along with Deus Ex and The Matrix. JC Denton was another inspiration for my character. I envision Zion as being kind of Post-Cyberpunk (non-dystopian cyberpunk, that is to say).

Oh, and to answer your other question: I believe so. I think it's like every odd level or something.

Background is up; I left it vague as to how I joined in this group to go adventuring - not sure what I should put. Perhaps it is a mission from the Holy Order?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back