• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Avatar Legends: Ash and Steel IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
The officer doesn't appear entirely convinced by "Sho Shin's" story, but with Hayase and Guoneng's words and acting, whatever doubt lies within his mind recedes. He waves the four of you on, but you catch him giving your group suspicious glances from behind as you head into the town, and some instinct tells Duanmu that he won't be able to pull this trick off again here.

[Hayase and Guoneng both mark 1-fatigue]

You decide to head towards the Steeping Phoenix for a bit of respite after the ordeal at the gates. When you get there though, you only see another potential source of trouble.

Five angry-looking Fire Nation soldiers are standing in front of the teahouse's entrance, haranguing someone else there. The someone in question turns out to be Rin, the establishment's owner, with her pet gorilla goat Bippy snarling at the guards from her side.

"What makes us think you can charge us more than the Earth Kingdom folk here, huh?" you hear one of the soldiers asks Rin.

"The Earth Kingdom folks can't afford to spend as much as you colonists!" Rin snarls back. "You're sucking this land dry like a load of elbow leeches, and it hurts the rest of us! They can't afford to spend, they don't buy! They don't buy, I don't earn money! I don't earn money, I can't buy food for me and my family! I'd have thought that you Fire Nation knuckleheads would be able to figure all that out, given how you act like you're the only ones smart enough to run things in the world!"

Bippy gives a nod of agreement from next to Rin, before the soldier speaks again. "Oh, we can figure things out alright," he says. "And we figure it's just you wanting an excuse to be greedy. So here's what we'll do. You're going to let us have this place to ourselves for the rest of the day, and serve us all the tea we want without charging a single copper piece for it, and in exchange, we won't report your dishonesty to our superiors. How does that sound?"

The townspeople around you are trying to avoid the scene like it's dry tinder in a hot wind. The soldiers haven't noticed you, preoccupied as they are with Rin, and you could easily slip away if you don't mind abandoning the Steeping Phoenix - not to mention its owner and patrons - to an unpleasant several hours.

"This doesn't concern us," Onomu hisses to the three of you, as if fearing an impending act of heroism on your parts. "We've got more important things to worry about than policing corrupt soldiers. Besides, you heard them. She's crooked herself, and she's getting what she deserves".

The three of you can either:
  1. Intervene - This will likely draw the attention of the soldiers onto you and Onomu.
  2. Stay out of it - This will keep you out of trouble, but will require each of you to mark a condition.

Duanmu​

Fatigue: [_][_][_][_][_]

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:
Support - (_)-(_)-(_)-{B}-(_)-(_)-(_) - Leadership

Hayase​

Fatigue: [X][_][_][_][_]

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:
Unity - (_)-(_)-(_)-{B}-(_)-(_)-(_) - Heritage

Guoneng​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]
Balance:
Force - (_)-(_)-(_)-{B}-(_)-(_)-(_) - Care

Guoneng ignored Onomu and whispered harshly to the rest of the gang. “We have to do something. Rin’s helped us out before we can’t just let this happen to her! Sho Shin! Make up some bull bear BS! There has to be a way to get them off her!”

Hayase walked up to Guenong and whispered into his ear his plan.
"We fake an argument and a fight, you throw me at the guards during the fight, no bending, and when I give you the signal you close your eyes cause I will drop a flash crystal so it blinds them. And the rest is your favourite pure improv."
Upon saying what he had to say Hayase rummaged about his pouches to take out a flash crystal and hide it in his sleeve then he walked in front of Guenong and simply nodded with a clear intent written on his face. 'Ready? Then start.'
With that Hayase braced for whatever impact Guenong wanted to start the fight with.

Guoneng nodded slightly before an irritated look grew on his face. He then threw a quick jab at Hayase stomach. “You had that coming for a while Haya. You kept mum but I KNEW your the reason our ostrich-horse got eaten! So the cost of another’s Colin’ outta your salery!”

EbonChevalier EbonChevalier Eonivar Eonivar Megilagor Megilagor

Guoneng's loud shouting gets the attention of the soldiers, who turn their heads around to look at him and Hayase. Onomu meanwhile takes a few steps away from the group, as if not wanting to appear associated with them, though a casual observer might assume she's just trying to stay out of the fight.

[ EbonChevalier EbonChevalier or Megilagor Megilagor , roll a 2D6 as a Trick move.]

Duanmu​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Hayase​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Guoneng​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]
Balance:

The antics of Hayase and Guoneng cause the soldiers to come jogging over, all five of them clearly more irritated at having to get involved than anything else. Right as one of them calls out to the pair to break it up, Guoneng sends Hayase staggering right into them with a well-timed shift of his weight. Within the next couple of moments, there's a blinding flash and a loud bang from within the cluster of men, and the freshly blinded and deafened soldiers start stumbling around while clutching their heads.

Rin and Bippy have to turn away and blink a couple of times after the bang, but their distance from the soldiers means they're spared the worst of the flash crystal's effects. Onomu is a lot closer, but having heard the plan as it was being discussed, she turns away and covers her ears as soon as Hayase collides with the soldiers, and thus avoids being as badly affected as her countrymen.

The Fire Nation Soldiers are now Stunned. Hayase has to mark 1-fatigue in accordance with the technique's conditions, but I'll spare Guoneng and Duanmu any adverse effects. What do you all do now?

Duanmu​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Hayase​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Guoneng​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]
Balance:

Duanmu steps up waving Rin, Bippy, Guanang, Hayse, and Onamu on, he spoke loudly to be overheard but hopefully not seen. "I cannot believe those Guards would try to extort a loyal citizen AND fail in keeping the peace, all in front of the Magistrate's daughter too. Where is the honor in that? It's probably a good thing she moved on to tell her father of it."

Duanmu then tries to move on with everyone else before the guards become aware.

Rolling Trick = 2D6+ Creativity = 2D6+1 = 8+1 = 9

Duanmu's mention of the magistrate's daughter has the effect of making the soldiers all look around in a state of panic, but fortunately, Rin, Bippy and Onomu all took the hint and got out of sight. Eventually, the soldiers give the Steeping Phoenix one last baleful glare, and then move on.

Out of the corner of his eye, Duanmu spots an unfamiliar figure in dark green observing him from behind the corner of a building. The figure presumably recognizes that they've been spotted moments later, because they immediately dart out of sight. For whatever reason, Duanmu doubts that he's seen the last of them.

What is your next course of action?

Duanmu​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Hayase​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Guoneng​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]
Balance:

Despite him closing his eyes when it went off Guoneng swore that could see spots in the corner of his vision. 'I really hope I don't need a healer'. he thought before rapidly blinking his eyes. 'Last thing this group needs is another dead weight.' He didn't have much of a positive view of Onomu and he didn't think her the type to be the general who leads from the front. 'Probably sat in some comfy office while she gave out orders to burn down Earth Kingdom villages.'

Turning his thought from their fire supremacist charge to the two he'd been trying to save. His gaze turned to the retreating form of Rin and Bippy. While their risky intervention probably wasn't a permanent solution to the issue of disrespectful fire nation soldiers it'd buy her time. 'And Rin's smart, I'm sure she'll find a way around this.'

But what about them? They'd taken the identities of some traveling merchants and needed to hold up the ruse 'till they were restocked and out of town. Those gate guards were expecting them to leave loaded with goods. So sidling up to his traveling companions he posed an idea. "Hey, lets try to get our hands on an ostrich horse and cart. I'd sell our story to the guards and it would make traveling easier." He whispered.

Eonivar Eonivar Megilagor Megilagor jaydude jaydude

Duanmu glanced at the fleeing figure and turned to rejoin the party going inside the Steeping Phoenix. He waves and gets his friend Rin's attention. "Rin, when things settle down could you come over and talk for a few minutes? For now we will just sit and have some tea."

He signals Guoneng, Hayse, and Meng (Onomu) to sit down at an out of the way table and then waves for service to come.

At Gueneng's question, he glances around to make sure now one is listening and then speaks so only the party would hear him. "Guoneng, while your idea is good, I am not sure if it will be effective. As the situation was being dispersed I noticed that I was being watched and followed by someone in a green cloak. It could be anyone really, Fire nation, Dao Fei, Long Feng, heck it could be one of my own unit following me, but the fact remains that at least I was recognized or regarded as suspicious and now I am being followed. I think this is the last hurrah for Sho Shin here in West Heiatu, I think to shake our pursuers we should avoid the roads upon leaving here, maybe try to get out at an odd hour if we can, which unfortunately means no wagon or mount. I did ask Rin to come over and talk, hopefully soon, because I want to hear of any word of activity around here and maybe get an idea of who or what could be following or looking for us. I do want to hear all of your thoughts and ideas on our current situation though. I am open to suggestions and ideas of getting out of West Heitatu without our pursuers knowing."

"I have an idea of how we can get out of here, and it might even allow us to slip any tails we've picked up," Onomu says after giving the room one last check. "Even in colonies as stable as this one, we have patrols on the streets at night. The patrols tend to move in groups of four, so if we can ambush and subdue one without anyone noticing, we can take their uniforms, and then I can bluff us past the gate guards. By the time someone finds out what happened to the patrol, we can be long gone if we move fast."

Duanmu​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Hayase​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Guoneng​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]
Balance:

Guoneng furrowed his brows as he ruminated on Daunmu’s reply and Onomu suggestion. He didn’t want to admit it but…the fire devil had a good idea. But Duanmu’s observations were on point too and less risky. Just sneaking out seemed easier than knocking out guards. Then again the occupied towns did have tight security. “I see….merit in her idea. But let’s put it to a vote. I throw my lot in with her plan.”

"While I'm not the strategist here, trying to whisk away during the night as we are right now would be a stupid idea since we most probably will be watched. So while I hate to admit it Onomu's plan fits the situation more, although we could get the guard's ire on us or potentially have a whole lot of them crowd on us if we fail to deal swiftly with them, we are not planning to stick around for long so we might as well do it."
Hayase replied upon hearing the words of his comrades his face clearly showed his dislike of approval to the fire devil's plan but it was the soundest one at the moment.
"So we get what we need for the further journey, meet up with Ren and as soon as possible enact the escape plan while covering our tracks since we don't want them to come to Ren's place." Hayase added which promptly caused him to sigh, too much to do and too little time this will be some prime time something which Hayase hated.

As the four of you talk, Rin, having presumably judged the situation to have calmed down enough, comes over to your table.

"Thanks for the save back there," she says to Duanmu, Hayase and Guonneng in her typical, grouch-esque manner, keeping her voice low to avoid being overheard over the general hubbub of the teashop. "Of course, those ash-makers are probably gonna figure out they've been had sooner or later..."

Onomu bristles at the slur, but mercifully keeps her mouth shut.

"...and I'll have to drop my prices for their kind as well to keep them from making another fuss, but I guess it can't be helped. Generosity these days; might make you feel good in the short term, but it'll come back to bite you in the butt later on."

Having given her ramble, Rin clears her throat and looks at Duanmu. "So anyway, what was it you wanted to talk about?"

Duanmu​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Hayase​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Guoneng​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]
Balance:

Duanmu listened to the others and was about ready to agree with Onomu's plan when Rin came up to them. He listened to his old friends greeting, glancing worriedly at Onomu's with the fire-bender insult before calming again, impressed with Onomu's control.

"I am sorry we cannot do anything about the guards demanding lower prices, I was not sure of a good solution there other than distracting them. What I wanted to ask you about though is the happenings going on in the city and in the region, any new and unusual units fire nation, earth kingdom or otherwise coming through here? Any rumors? Also we are looking to skip town without notice, would you recommend us leaving a particular way or time of night?"

“We also thought about knocking out a few guards, stealing their uniforms and sneaking out that way. Guoneng whispered. “A little risky but it’ll cover our tracks well for a while.”

"I won't ask why the three of you knuckleheads are trying to avoid the Fire Nation on this occasion," Rin says in reply to Guoneng. "Right now, I feel like avoiding any further trouble."

She then turns to Duanmu. "We've got a group known as the Rough Rhinos going around and tearing up the surrounding area on behalf of the Fire Lord, but aside from that, things have largely stayed the same since you were last here. You know how it is; most of the Fire Nation troops that were once stationed in this town have been reassigned to the push towards Ba Sing Se, and those that remain generally don't cause trouble for us Earth Kingdom folk. Well, aside from occasions when they feel like throwing their weight around, or whenever they need to 'requisition' things like rice, meat, metal and other supplies from us..."

She leaves briefly to check up on a few other tables, before returning to continue the conversation. "Still, I can't imagine things are going to stay like this for much longer. The latest news from the rumour mill is that an Earth Kingdom resistance group known as the Armadillo-Bears has started operating within the region. So far they've mostly been keeping the Fire Nation from being able to gather supplies, but word is that their leader hates the Fire Nation with a passion, and is planning something big. If you don't want to be around when the turds start flying, you'd best leave very soon."

The tea-maker then glances over her shoulder as if there might be an eavesdropper right behind her, before looking at you again. "If whatever cover story you used to get in here won't work to get you back out, and you can't think of another, sneaking out at night might be your best bet. And if you can pass as Fire Nation soldiers, it makes sense to do that; the guards tend to be a bit jumpy about civilians trying to enter or leave the town after dark."

She specifies the time when the second night shift comes on. Logically speaking, the first shift will really be looking forward to getting into their beds by then, so they'll be less likely to want to make a fuss over something. If you're going to go with Onomu's disguise and bluff plan, just before the shift change is likely the best time.

Duanmu​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Hayase​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Guoneng​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]
Balance:

Guoneng frowned at the mention of the Armadillo Bears. As much as he liked the idea of someone resisting the Fire Nation, with their tag along running into them could lead to some problems. “Any tips on avoiding them? It sounds like that gang has a wide range.“ At mention the little advantage the could get over some guard he whispered. “Sounds like a plan. In the meantime though would you mind if I rough housed with bippy for a bit? All that action earlier probably left her stressed out.”

“Any tips on avoiding them? It sounds like that gang has a wide range.“
"All I can suggest is that you stay away from anything that might be a tempting target for them," Rin answers. "Though I can't see why they'd be interested in causing too much trouble for you lot. You're fighting the Fire Nation as well, after all."

Onomu gives a little twitch from nearby, but Rin doesn't appear to notice.

“Sounds like a plan. In the meantime though would you mind if I roughhoused with Bippy for a bit? All that action earlier probably left her stressed out.”
"Go ahead," Rin replies.

Guoneng smiles before getting up and walking out of the building. Assuming a horse stance and bracing himself he shouts. “Hey bippy! Let’s wrestle!” He slapped his thighs in challenge. The goat gorilla whom was still a kid at heart leaped out of the tea house and collided with Guoneng. Sturdy as he was he didn’t fold as he playfully wrestled with her. “Who’s a good girl? You are!” Guoneng said as her head was locked in one arm while the other scratched between her horns.

Last edited:
Your time in the teahouse serves as a moment where you can all relax and recover after your recent ordeals. No other Fire Nation military personnel trouble Rin, and after taking the time to recover, the four of you head out into the town bazaar to pick up supplies for the next leg of your journey.

[Hayase and Guoneng clear all marked fatigue.]

Before long, you've gathered the required food and water from the various marketplace stalls. Onomu however has a few things to say about some of the peddlers.

"Fresh melonyams, my foot," she mutters after the four of you pass a stall allegedly selling the product in question. "I could tell at a glance that they were at least a couple of days old. Anyone who tried to swindle like that in the Fire Nation would end up in the stocks before you could blink. Here though...I swear, you Earth Kingdom folk can't help lying, cheating and stealing from each other, can you?"

As he listens to Onomu complain, Duanmu spots a young woman standing within a narrow alleyway, her head and short black hair covered by the hood of her leaf-green cloak. His eyes meet her brown ones, and she makes a gesture for him to follow her before disappearing further into the alleyway.

Duanmu​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Hayase​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Guoneng​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]
Balance:

"Fresh melonyams, my foot," she mutters after the four of you pass a stall allegedly selling the product in question. "I could tell at a glance that they were at least a couple of days old. Anyone who tried to swindle like that in the Fire Nation would end up in the stocks before you could blink. Here though...I swear, you Earth Kingdom folk can't help lying, cheating and stealing from each other, can you?"
Guoneng shuffles to Onomu's side and says as quietly but as firmly as he can...."You are not in the Fire Nation. You're a fugitive running from your own people because they have orders to kill you on sight. I'm sure the idea of haggling for a good price on food is insane to your fragile Fire Nation mind. But guess what? This little journey of ours is goings to take months maybe longer. And you'll have to deal with more lying, cheating, stealing folk of the Earth Kingdom. So here's a tip from you dirty barbarian bodyguard. Make like a chameleon-cuckoo in a duck turtle nest and get with the fucking program." He was so done with the ignorant sense of superiority she projected. Fucking Ash-hole!"

Hayase says under his breath so only his comrades could hear.
"Well, Guenong your math might be off, cause if no issues arise we should get to the destination in a few weeks not months, but seeing how cooperative she is and how many issues we had so far it might as well be a few months of travel."
As he said what he had to do he gave a glance around them before focusing on their leader.
"So So Shin what's our next move?"

Guoneng shuffles to Onomu's side and says as quietly but as firmly as he can...."You are not in the Fire Nation. You're a fugitive running from your own people because they have orders to kill you on sight. I'm sure the idea of haggling for a good price on food is insane to your fragile Fire Nation mind. But guess what? This little journey of ours is goings to take months maybe longer. And you'll have to deal with more lying, cheating, stealing folk of the Earth Kingdom. So here's a tip from you dirty barbarian bodyguard. Make like a chameleon-cuckoo in a duck turtle nest and get with the fucking program." He was so done with the ignorant sense of superiority she projected. Fucking Ash-hole!"
Onomu leans back a little in response to Guoneng's quiet outburst, having not quite expecting it. "Okay, okay, okay, no complaining, I get it," she replies, sounding more annoyed and weary than guilty. "But haggling's one thing, and dishonesty's another. You can't tell me you're seriously willing to fight the Fire Nation to protect people like that and not expect me to mock you for it, right?"

Duanmu catching the presence of the girl hears Hayse's question.

He looks at Hayse and leans close, "Someone in green is trying to get my attention. I am going to go investigate. Stay with Guoneng and Meng, if I do not come back in ten minutes or if you hear a disturbance, head down the alley after me, if you do not find me, I will try and meet you at the teahouse in an hour."

Duanmu then turns and proceeds to the alleyway, his hand subtly brushing his coiled whip under his long coat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back