• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Automaton (AnonymousRaine x Lenaara)

Lenaara

Dreaming of honey cakes.
The weather was disgusting.

“And so then…” The merchant went on, his hand moving up from the reins of his horse and towards his collar. Her pinched the fur around his shoulders closer to his neck as if that could block out the cold wind that had been persistently hitting them in the face in short bursts for the past hour. “They had changed the price again! Can you believe it? The imbeciles! Who would pay so much for a half a kilo of mutton? My grandmother, who is half-delusional, that is who! Not a merchant from Anderfell, I tell you, no, we are much smarter than that. We know our wares!..”

And on and on.

He continued to talk and Irene was equally determined to ignore him. A few smiles were given, coupled by a sound of acknowledgement from time to time to indicate that she had been paying attention. The topic of prices of different meats may have been interesting, taking into account just how passionately the merchant expressed his feelings on the matter, but for the fact that he continued talking for over two hours. Two hours of mutton and beef prices.

Irene fought the wish to press the heels of her boots against her horse’s sides and force the mare into a gallop to get as far away from the merchant as possible.

This was nothing out of the ordinary. The merchants talked, the weather was bad, the mud under their horse’s hooves was wet and slippery and sloshed on the road as they continued down the route to their destination.

It was midday. The sun’s bleak disk was barely visible beyond the grey cover of the clouds. In the distance the clouds had grown darker, pregnant with the rain that will soon be pouring over the heads of the caravan of merchants if they did not quicken their pace to get to the nearby town for cover and warmth. But it would be hours until the next settlement was reached, and they all realized that the dark thunderous clouds would near them much faster than they would get to a warm tavern and its hearth.

Around them the world was white and black. The snow was melting ever so slowly. The main road had been clear of it, the pure white blanket of snow had long since turned into a muddy puddle beneath the feet of the travellers. Around them, below the cover of thin bare trees, the snow lay in patches here and there. Rain had long stripped the branches bare of snow, and now the trees were like skeletal guardians around the caravan. The myriad of thin branches hung over the heads of the travellers and swung from side to side with each cold gust of wind. The gusts made the droplets of water fall from the branches and hit the ones below on the ground, drenching the travellers completely.

Drenched and cold, the caravan continued down the road. It had been three days since they set out from Oslon, a town in Riverside just north from where they were now. The caravan wasn’t big, just a procession of two wagons loaded with different wares like the meat, that the plump red nosed merchant near Irene continued to rant about, furs, some crates of polished amber and silver jewellery. There was also a crate of spices, apparently, hidden deep within one of the wagons. Spices were rare this time of year, and the import was expensive. That was, perhaps, the most expensive item in the entire procession. Even the amber did not cost as much as that small wooden box.

Each member of the procession was seated on a horse. There was a horse up front, the guide, a young man, clad in a cloak of grey lined with fur. Behind him, seated on a black stallion, was his bodyguard. It was a mountain of a man clad in leathers and irons, chainmail hung from his back and abdomen and clanked against the metal hilts of his many daggers strapped to a belt on his hips. His bald head was gleaming menacingly beneath the sparkling layer of water, and his muscled broad shoulders were straight and tense. The stallion beneath him continued on, not caring for the might of his rider.

Then was the first wagon, pulled by a grey mare, the driver half asleep as he hummed some song or the other. Behind him was another horse with another mercenary, dressed as intimidatingly as the bald warrior up front. The long sword on his back had been angled to accommodate the horse, and his hands held a miniature crossbow that must half cost a fortune to make. The weapon could have been stolen. Crossbows, especially so small and compact, were rare in these parts of the land.

Irene had noticed that the man was holding the crossbow wrong, his hands at all the wrong positions, and the bolt was nocked awkwardly into the mechanism.

I wonder whose throat did he slice to get that weapon.

A moment later she decided that she did not want to know. It was best not to question such things, especially not openly. Held wrongly or not, there were only so many ways to stop a crossbow bolt from such a short distance.

Then, was Irene and the merchant. They were in the middle of the caravan; the safest spot to be. The two of them walked side by side, their horses following obediently a few feet behind the wagon at the front.

“Irene?” The woman blinked and looked at the merchant. He glared at her, his blue eyes watery, his lips curved into something between a wince and a snarl. He seemed to have been waiting for a reply, a reaction to something that he had said. Something that she wasn’t paying attention to.

“Yes?” The woman rose her eyebrows at the man. “I apologize. I must follow the road. Doing my job, is all. I meant no offence.”

“Ah. But of course, of course!” The merchant waved dismissively at the woman. “Your attention can only be limited to one purpose, of course. I was a fool to assume otherwise. I did hire you to protect my wares, after all, and my never stopping tongue.”

She wondered if the last phrase was an innuendo to something that he was proud of, as the man had given Irene a look, his eyes skirting over her chest. The insult, however, was noticed. Masked in his words, the merchant did little to hide the obvious comment regarding his hire’s attention span. But just as the gleeful look at her breasts, the insult was ignored. It was common. It was usual. The merchant was but another man, another client that thought that he could get away with more than just protection of his wares and his life at the end of the assignment for the amount of money that he had paid the woman.

“Lord Richmond, yer never stopping tongue can’t keep a woman entertained out the bed.” The voice behind Irene called out, followed by a bright laughter. The laugher caught on, so bright and contagious it was, and the rest of the procession snickered under their breaths. Lord Richmond, however, did not find the joke amusing. If anything, he had grown red in the face, his round nose had turned into a new hue of deep maroon.

“I have you know that we have discussed the dilution on the meat market—“ Richmond straightened in his saddle, his cloak wrapped tightly around his body, and the furs on the collar puffed up.

He looked devastatingly similar to a pigeon.

Beneath the cloak, Lord Richmond Brandon was dressed very finely. The silk vest clung to his round belly and sides, the leather boots shone from the pristinely polished tops. Over his chest, going from one shoulder across his chest and to another, was a wide chain of simple silver clips, in the middle of which red polished gems gleamed brightly. A belt was around his waist, half covered by the potbelly, and a small rapier hung loosely at his side, it’s jewelled pommel a useless but an expensive investment. The rapier was far too unbalanced, the iron far too thin and poorly crafted. The weapon was for show, the show of the miniscule wealth that the merchant loved to boast about.

The Lord’s head was covered by the hood of the cloak, but beneath the hood one could see the gleaming red bald patches in the grey oily cover of his thinning hair.

“…And ya bored the lass half to death!” The mercenary continued, his voice tinted with laughter. “Tell me, Dalaklis, does meat prices fascinate ya that much that ya’d rather keep ‘im companyand not ‘us, at the back?”

“Your conversations of your latest lays doesn’t interest me, Marcus.” Irene called out without looking over her shoulder. Even without looking she could almost imagine the man, Marcus, leaning back on his horse in a poor attempt to fake a shooting pain in his chest. He had gasped, and his armour shifted on him as he leaned back, his gloved hand hit the metal plating strapped to the leather padding on his chest. More chuckling followed, and even Irene’s lips curved into a barely visible smirk.

At her side, Richmond had muttered something under his breath. Irene had managed to hear only one word, “Savages.”

Ya be entertaining then, lass.” The mud sloshed faster, the clothes rustled, and Marcus appeared in Irene’s peripheral vision. His cropped short auburn hair was wet and rustled, the stubble began to show on his chin. His gloved hand reached down towards the hem of Irene’s coat and he tugged on it. The golden thread glittered in the pale light, catching the dimmest of sun’s rays. “No shamanistic heresy. Me mum raised me fine, no symbols on me clothes. None of that.”

It was no wonder that Marcus viewed the broidery on the woman’s clothes as something odd. For one, Irene was the only one who preferred a much lighter variant of clothing to the heaviness of the iron that her companions wore. Without any sort of protective padding over the vital areas of her body, Irene did not cover herself with chainmail and bits of metal. The clothing was not close cut like that of the hired mercenaries of the caravan procession, it was not heavy and thick, lined with padding and chainmail to protect the wearer. No, her clothes were loose and made entirely of fabric.

She wore a coat of thick deep purple fabric that reached down towards her knees and was set at the waist by a wide leather belt lined with rabbit fur on the edges; the sleeves were wide and ended just below her elbow. From underneath the sleeves the leather bracers of soft brown leather peeked out and covered her forearms. The dark brown pants were straight and wide, tucked into her knee length boots that have seen better days. Two long thin lines went through the fabric of the pants, parallel to her leg, in front of the pant leg and behind it. Over her shoulders was wrapped a collar of light grey fur, tied close to her neck. Unlike the rest, she did not wear a heavy cloak.

Bronze and golden embroidery covered the woman’s clothes. It weaved through the bottom of the wide sleeves in various patterns; the high collar was decorated in a similar style and was pulled tightly around her neck and secured with a bronze clasp. Similar clasps were visible along the middle of the coat, all closed to keep the fabric of the coat in place. The hem of her coat depicted more geometric symbols that changed at the back as the embroidery blended with the symbols woven on the back. The leather bracers and the wide belt were decorated as well, but not as heavily as the coat. The golden thread gleamed with each movement that the woman made, the fabric folding here and there and reflected the bleak sunlight.

Everything about Irene screamed foreign. Deep purple, gold and bronze, these colours stood out among the grey mass of the procession and the empty road. Among the white, black and grey, Irene alone was the sole ray of brightness, of soft gold and deep purple, that shimmered with each step that the horse beneath her had taken, with each subtle movement that the woman herself had done.

The woman appeared to be about thirty, as fine lines had already creased the corners of her eyes. Olive skinned and tall, the woman was athletically built beneath her foreign clothing. Long ashy brown hair was bound into a braid that reached all the way down towards her hips. The braid swung absently behind her back as the horse continued on. She had high cheekbones and a refined jawline; almond shaped silver eyes that were slightly narrowed as they scanned the bright patches of snow in the distance. Her plump lips were drawn into a thin line, an unconscious response to the odd quiet that stuck to the woods around them. Her straight nose was tipped with pink from the cold.

Her features, the colour of her skin and hair, clothing and broidery, it all pointed to her country of origin – Izmar.

At her side, holding it in her right hand, Irene held a short spear. It was about six feet in length, tipped with a blade sheathed in a broidered simple leather hilt. The lacquer of the shaft was worn and scratched, covered in a myriad of dents that Irene’s thumb kept sliding over out of pure habit. The blunt end of the spear was tipped with a round metal weight, its surface polished and discoloured at the bottom from years of use. Over her back was a yew bow; the quiver was attached to her horse’s saddle just behind her left thigh.

“This isn’t some magic imbued cloth. Stop believing all the milkmaids say when you plow them on the hay.” Irene did not take her eyes off the road but she could see the man roll his russet eyes to the sky, a smirk tugging on his lips.

“’Ey don’t have the time to talk when I plow ‘em.”

“Probably busy praying for the five-minute wonder to end.” One of the men at the back called out and laughed. Marcus scoffed at Irene’s side and she shot him a glance, her lips curving into a smile.

“Told you I have no interest in discussing your latest lays.” She said.

“Fine. Fine. Lasses and their jealousy.” Marcus winked at her, and Richmond rolled his shoulders beneath his cloak, muttering something or other about the vulgarity of hired muscle. “You never finished that tale of…eh, the man with shining buttocks in the ruins?”

Ah. She never did, Irene realized.

Traveling with a caravan was the most common of the woman’s jobs. This sort of a task was easy and straightforward, and most of the time it never required her to get off her horse to defend the procession of merchants and their wares. It was safe, it was easy, and, most of all, it was fun.

There were always many people in a caravan. Merchants, their bodyguards, some hired muscle for the wagons just in case, the number varying depending on the time of the year and the route taken. Even some families dared to join the trips if the travel time was short and the roads were deemed safe.

During the evenings, when they all stopped to set up camp and rest for the night, the caravan would be bursting with life. Gathered around the fires, the mercenaries would share stories of their many jobs, the merchants would speak of far off lands and the exotic foods and wares, the women would sing, the men would play, the children would dance. All those not tired from the day of horseback riding would dance, the atmosphere contagious and bright. They would laugh or be utterly silent, as one person or the other would speak of some tale. The would dance or sit still, mesmerized by a song or a ballad in their own way.

It was enjoyable to travel this way, and Irene got paid for it.

A half an hour was all it took to change the formation of the caravan. The three mercenaries stationed at the back by the guide had increased the pace of their horses and joined Irene at her side. She was telling a story that was cut short the night before, and soon the infectious laughter echoed through the ever still woods. The laughter was deep, interrupted by occasional pauses of silence as the woman continued to speak, her voice captivating as she would joke about the man who had been her client years before. Even Lord Richmond Brandon, her personal charge, had begun to listen to the woman at his side with interest shining in those glazed eyes of his.

The guide had barked something from up front but the mercenaries ignored him. Irene had stopped the tale mid-sentence and shifted in her saddle to peek over the broad shoulders of the guide’s bodyguard. It was impossible to see the guide, and she could not shift her horse to move ahead as Marcus’s horse had pressed against her own far too closely on the road.

“Let ‘em talk.” Markus patted Irene on her thigh, a silent command to continue the story. “I ‘ear the talk that—“

“Shut up, you lot!” The guide’s voice roared through the procession, silencing Markus. “Got some trouble ahead.”

That phrase alone was enough to pique the mercenaries’ interest. Pulling up her spear closer to her waist was a matter of instinct, as was the hand falling on the longsword of the mercenary up front, and the nocking an arrow into the bow in Marcus’s hands. All stared right ahead, into the patch of colour a half a mile away. There, beside a small patch of birch trees, were several men. It was hard to see, hard to make out just the right number of men ahead.

The caravan halted to a stop, and then with one swift motion the guide got off his horse. His bodyguard did not move; his hands were put absently over the hilts of the two daggers strapped to his thighs.

“Something the matter?” Irene heard the guide call out towards the men up ahead.

@AnonymousRaine

Last edited by a moderator:
"Ten gold, you point-nosed bastard."

"Five and no more."

"How 'bout I show you this cracked floor up close, eh? Sure your friends would help."

"If they wish to be paid, they will not."

The tavern was lit dim as they all were. Between a handful of tables there were perhaps six candles to spare, most of them as short as the morals the men around them provided.

Humans.

Four sat around me. I had taken a candle with some effort from a small man at a table by the door. It was no great effort, but the bald creature with his bulging brown eyes were not happy with the attempt. For his petulance he received the pointed tip of a dagger slipped precisely beneath the tip of his rounded, smashed-looking nose while I retrieved my stump of wax.

It proved my point for the moment. Like dogs, surely they would insist on testing me again.

Four around me, all of them prime examples of their race. Clad in rags patched and patched again, sample various dirts and stains of various locales, I refused to turn my back to any one of them. In the end, coin spoke. And in the middle of the table, glittering beneath the soft orange glow of my candle, was a sizable satchel of gold.

"Boss sez' five a piece, I rather take my chances for that an' whatever I can fit in me bag, than losin' my nose for naught."

A curt smile curved my slim lips, shadowed eerily in the candlelight. I caught the eye of the other three and similarly they nodded, rubbing their rusted knives with filthy hands. Their eyes, wet and hungry, glistened dully in the light and I trusted their loyalty was, for the moment, secured.

There was a long pause as the man before me thought. I could see the ideas turning round in his head, lurching forward from their cobweb-encased state of immobility as I forced them to work.

"Right then. You've got three more. Boys and I are in."

Four plus three made seven, five gold a head and the plump bag I was so fortunate to find dangling unwatched and uncared for from the hip of that gentleman in the market was half empty. Still plenty to go around, and if the drinks were going for mere copper these children were sustained by only it.

Seven. Lucky seven.

"Alright. Tomorrow at dawn we meet, at the edge of town by the guard's post. We will be walking north."

"How far?"

I shook my head, the hood hanging low shifting the shadows of my face and casting my visible features in soft fragmented light.

"You will find out then."

The man on my right grumbled but held his place. I was sure the pale, spidery fingers that wrapped fast around my dagger hilt went to help make my case.

There was no promise, no deed, nothing but a loosely given word that my needs would be met. In the end, not a coin touched their greedy hands until I had my own product in palm and they knew that well.

If something went wrong, seven against one were long odds but the trees were my friends, barren of leaves or not. I'd wager the entire bag they couldn't keep up.

And of course, in the end, luck was on my side.

Lucky seven.

Never trust the hooded figure.

---

How, exactly, did I find myself in this predicament?

The guard's tower was easy. Deft fingers undid the crude lock with assistance from a gapping door and that little knife I always took care to carry, the bolt slipping back home and a stiff night wind blowing the door wide.

Eight surcoats. Seven for the guards, one for the captain. I could say nothing for the local colors but at the very least the studded leather was dark enough to blend with my own. I donned mine now, the chain maile captain's helm covering the pointed ears I always took care to hide anyway. It was heavy and scented preemptively of rust; ill taken care of, as was to be expected.

It was no matter, though. It would not be needed for long.

It wasn't often, these days, that elves wandered past the edge of the forest. It was not often that humans wandered within, either. But that night was an exception. Three creeping creatures, pale white, slipped beneath me unnoticed at first. I saw them when they entered the clearing, beneath tired eyes. At first I mistook them for spirits, pale and lurching without grace or care. It took only a moment more to realize their true forms.

I assumed no ill intent. That was my mistake.

Silently I leaped through the trees along my patrol, following the hairless beasts as they crept, deluded in their stealth. Two of them were young men, wearing rich colors of red that stood out sharply to keen eyes used to an unmoving forest floor. Their hair was trimmed, kept, and swept back from their eyes. One head of brown, the other, black. The third wore purple and gold and moved much slower than the rest. Far from used to physical movement he lingered behind trees taking heaving breaths and holding up hand in silent request for break.

The others obeyed, however hesitantly, and retreated behind saplings themselves.

Shortly there after they turned and began to leave the forest.

I was confused, but pleased. Rumors, legends and myths surrounded the woods. Good and ill, some were even perpetuated by our own people to keep out the fools that grew curious enough to defy logic. I myself had ventured often into the towns, weaving dark whispers of rumors regarding the fair folk. Of what happened to those who passed the threshold, wandering into enchanted lands. The beasts of magic and tooth and claw we controlled, the spells we wove upon the unsuspecting before returning them, dazed and confused to their people. Or worse, not.

Some of these were true, many not, but all served the same purpose.

Why, I thought to myself, had these disgusting creatures entered my forest? Stopped not halfway in and turned to flee without so much as an arrow through the foot? I let my eyes fall back to the clearing they had approached, and glittering gently in the moonlight shining clear through bare eaves was my answer.

My blood grew cold, my skin further pale.

I could still see one of their bastard scalps, a dark brown head clad in red and feeling all too sure of himself in his victory.

The wind whispered evil things, terrifying truths and possibilities. None of which I could let happen.

Slicing the wind in two I let loose an arrow, drawn and aimed in a fraction of a moment, watching it sink deep into the figure's back. He stopped, dead in his tracks, and fell face first into the brush.

The others, now aware of my presence, ran.

Three more arrows chased after them before I fell to the floor myself and gave chase. Every footfall calculated, practiced. I knew these trees like I knew myself. Hundred of years to learn both and yet still, I was learning more.

Another arrow sailed, catching the purple-worn man in the leg, but not steady enough. It sliced through his pants and he stumbled but did not stop.

I moved silently and swift, darting around trees and branch and bush, my heart pounding in my chest. If they should leave with that plant, with that herb...

Two more arrows flew through the air, but it was too late. I'd managed a wound on one's leg and the second felt the sting in arm and by ear, but not before we reached the territory edge. A small party awaited them, lanterns lit only once they were in sight, and five men welcomed them with steeds dressed to ride. Despite injury they mounted swift, and not even the flat feet of an elf could keep track with a horse.

They were gone.

I was left alone, defeated and heartless in my own home, one of our oldest secrets plucked from under my nose.

It was then that my blood ran cold. It was then that without a second thought I gave chase, leaving their friend to rot, forgotten beneath the brambles.

It was then that I left the forest, and stepped for not the first time back into human territory.

---

All but one of the men had arrived that morning at sunrise. I was dressed when they came and the sight of a captain of the guard almost made them turn foot and run.

If it weren't for the coin purse hanging from my hand, twisting and silhouetted in the early winter morning light, they may have run.

I didn't need to explain any more. They took their uniforms, looking less reputable but somehow more capable than the guard themselves, and we walked silently together in stride down the hard, dirt path that lead north of town.

It was the beginning of spring, then. I had managed to track my prey to a small town named Oslon. There, I learned the plump man in purple that had escaped me was himself a merchant of absolutely no repute. His name was Kien, but this meant nothing to me. What did, was the knowledge that the 'herbs' he had been contracted to obtain were to be brought to a town south of there, or that was all that was known of their journey. The man had yet to return, with his date of departure set for three days future, which meant their was time to hatch a plan.

And so there I was, walking side by side beneath a crisp early-spring morning in the sweaty, uncomfortable uniform of a city guard. The post I had spied days earlier in my travels was nearby now, a small weather beaten shack wedged between two large boulders emerging from the ice-hardened ground like giant's teeth.

The sky overhead was white and bleak, grey to the south with oncoming storm. I felt the sight was fitting, somehow, and the thought of it pulled my eyes to a cat-like narrow.

"We wait here."

Inside the shack was a small wooden bench but I would not permit any of them to sit. We stood, in formation of a half-circle, myself in the center, awaiting our merchant caravan, each of us doubtlessly dreaming of our promised bounty.

In a distant tree, black, skeletal and foreboding as it waited for the warm brush of spring to urge blossoms from its eaves, a bird sung a lazy morning song. In the past it would have been a joy to hear, something to listen to in peace as I watched nature bloom around me.

Today it was a song of battle. A promising tune that told me stories of a small victory under the plump, fat noses of the squat men of these lands.

Revenge had occurred to me. My blades wet, arrows sunken deep into bare skulls whose faces torn themselves with agony and regret.

...but there had to be a line drawn somewhere.

I settled on the return of the goods of my people and the knowledge that one had already paid their ultimate price, two others left alive to tell the tale and hopefully value their lives more from then on. More than to risk them setting foot in the soft, forested floors of Elven lands again, knowing somehow that two green eyes had not forgotten their forms and would be sure to exact justice if they dared another peek.

The refuse around me was growing antsy. They shifted in their boots, struggled to adjust foreign leather surcoats to their liking, and struck dull knives and daggers against the wood of the hut, carving the few lewd words they knew how to write.

Up ahead somewhere in the still-frozen world, the sound of horse hooves pricked my ears even beneath heavy maile.

"They are coming."

Six heads turned and their shenanigans ceased, leaving us in a perfect silence.

"We are guards. Performing routine searches of traveling caravans on rumor of a kidnapped victim being bound to one."

It was off the top of my head, vague and not very well thought out, but it would do.

"I am looking for herbs. They are leaves, the size of your palm. Of a mossy, sage green and their veins shine silver in the morning light."

There was an uncomfortable silence and I could feel their contemplation. What was it. Why did I want it. What was it worth.

"Whoever brings it to me..."

The sack of gold in my hand shook before I slipped it inside my surcoat, fastening it safely to my belts.

"...gets the rest of the bag."

Such simple minds. I looked around to see their competitive smiles, toothless grins exchanged as their eyes glazed over and their sights set to the north where over a distant hill, horses could be seen. Nothing more than dark ants that crawled over the horizon, for the moment.

That night I had lost my post, however voluntarily, and lost my home. Perhaps no one knew of the crime, but theft of the Malthelas leaf was not the only thing taken. Those swine took with them my honor, and whatever it took I was keen on seeing it returned.

Even if it took my blades wet to once again have it.

Revenge was not my intent. But should it be had...it would be sweet.

"Do not forget. If I do not have my prize, none of you shall have yours."

It was a whisper, however harsh, and letting loose an announcing whistle I began to lead my pitiful rogue-like group in march to the oncoming travelers.

A hand hailed in false camaraderie.

"Hail, travelers."

My voice carried down the path as we met with the head of the group. In the back of my mind I counted down the obstacles between me and what belonged to me.

"We offer apologies on behalf of Aslington: a young child has been taken from his home, claimed by merchants to be their own. It is our assignment to make search and retrieve him. Please dismount and cooperate; this will not take long."

I spoke to a man mounted on a grey horse that looked none too pleased with the interruption in its gait. The man did not either. Somewhere in the back someone queried what was happening ahead.

The men I had hired began to disperse, pulling a grim line of a smile to my hidden lips. The chain maile did nothing to disguise my voice.

"Where have you come from?"

With a head of thin, grey hair, the man on the horse before me gave a tired look. His stomach protruded a few inches from his belt, covered in thin fabric offering no protection. He was not prepared for battle...but the sworded men behind him were.

"We come from the direction of Oslon. We are just a caravan, nothing but mutton and beef and spices left from last winter. Should any children be kept up with the goods I assure you they are either bloated, over-fed and have created their own amount of noise while emptying bellies, or are bored enough of being surrounded by the smell of cured meats that they would be singing loud their displeasure."

I nodded, hearing very few of his words.

"None the less. You understand, do you not?"

He made a noise of noncommittal. I ignored that too.

"Please dismount your steeds and we will be swift as we can to see you on your way."

The brigands down the way made some fuss and noise, preparing to haul themselves into wagons in search.

Did I trust them? No more than I promised a starving bear not to try and make a meal of me.

But their desires were simple, and sat secure at my own waist. They knew: once I received my prize, they could have their run of things. Their own people could deal with them.

By that time, I would be gone.

From the middle of the caravan Irene watched the scene unfold.

Their guide, the man who had a look of a trained warrior that he so wished to hide beneath the fur lined cloak and the bright gleam of the knight’s chain strapped to his chest, had dismounted and gone ahead to talk to the small group nearing the caravan. Michael was the guide’s name. Michael Brook, if Irene remembered right. He was a young man who had just reached twenty. Anyone in the caravan could see from the way he moved and spoke the subtle authority that clung to him despite his wishes to blend in. Dressed in finery, Michael boasted his knight’s chain and his bodyguard was quiet and obedient enough to suggest that the guide was more than a mere peasant who knew the roads well.

Perhaps he was some nobleman’s relative; maybe a son of a merchant. It was hard to tell. Even now, he strode towards the small group of men ahead, his cloak fluttering behind him, with his back straight and shoulders squared and his hands curled into fists. With chin held high, Michael regarded the men.

“Greetings.” She heard Michael’s voice trail off and then he half turned, his cloak sweeping behind him over the mud, and followed the procession of men as they strolled past him and closed around the caravan.

It was more than obvious that such apparent ignorance had irked Michael the wrong way. With pursed lips he followed the men towards the horses.

The men fanned out and it felt odd. Like being slowly trapped by a pack of wolves.

Irene’s horse, as if feeling the discomfort of her rider, shifted beneath the woman and fluttered her ears.

The leather surcoats came into view; the emblem etched onto the chests of the men was a bright splash of colour among the darkened leather. The guards. The one who wore the guard captain’s surcoat ordered the caravan to dismount.

The caravan did no such thing.

Indeed, everyone looked at each other. At her side, Richmond glanced at Irene below his greying eyebrows. The mercenaries’ hands hung leisurely over their weapons, their eyes narrowed and lips a tight line. At the back the merchants whispered to one another in confusion and annoyance and glanced over their shoulders. The other mercenaries, who had joined Irene’s side during the travel, had subtly fallen back behind their charges when the caravan halted to a stop. The drivers of the two wagons sat up straight on their benches.

The sudden appearance of the guards had unnerved all.

But it was not the guards that made Irene’s gut feel uneasy. Not the bright spots of colour of the emblems woven to their surcoats. Not the weapons that gleamed at their sides. No, the way that the men moved was what had set off the alarm bells in the woman’s mind.

These men had encircled the caravan, their formation completely random, their shoulders slouched and their fingers spread wide as they neared the first wagon. There was hunger in their eyes. Hunger and malice.

No guard moved like this.

Their weaponry was taken into account out of habit. Dull blades, daggers and swords alike, glinting in the dull morning light. Some were armed, others not so much.

Irene straightened on her horse and adjusted the hold on her spear, pressing the smooth wooden shaft against her forearm and side.

Lord Richmond Brandon spoke up, his voice a casual one, words sweet and sly. Too many useless words were said and Irene wondered if the man was trying to stretch out the time to give his hired bodyguard a moment or two to come to a decision to either dismount or attack.

Irene did neither. She raised her left hand to her eyes and brushed off the droplets of water from her dark lashes. Then, she looked down at the captain of the guard as he spoke to Richmond.

Her first impression of the man? He was different. So different from the men at his sides. For one, his shoulders and back were set and straight, his limbs were noticeably long even beneath the dark leathers of the surcoat. And there was this…elegance to his movements, subtle as they may be. Then, there was his speech. Perfect, tinted with a slight accent that Irene, with all her experience in different languages and cultures, could not quite pinpoint the origin of.

“I assure you, good sir, we have no child in our procession. Why, I can guarantee it on the fine wares that we are carrying! Perchance, there are other ways how we could settle this calm and swiftly? Ways that would show just in what hurry we are; what quality goods we carry. Goods that cost much more than a guard’s pay, I assure you of that.” Lord Richmond continued on, his hand drawing a semi-circle around him as he spoke to point to the wagon to the front and at the back.

Whether or not the Captain of the guard had caught the subtle hint of bribery Irene could only guess and did not want to see the wrath of the Captain had he truly caught the barely hidden meaning behind the sleazy merchant’s words, and did not wish to start off his morning with corruption in his ranks.

There was first time for everything.

Bribery was a dangerous road to take. The guards were already paid off well by the Churches of the Blessed, and it was common for a guard to drag a person or two, or a dozen, towards the burning Cleansing Pyres to get a satchel of gold from the Head Priest. Now, the Captain was faced with a bribe from either a meat merchant, or from a Priest that would pay generously for any of the caravan members. Especially for an Izmarian woman.

“My Lord,” Irene quietly whispered towards her charge as she leaned closer towards Richmond, “it is best that we comply.”

“Nonsense! I have this under control—“ He hissed the response through gritted teeth and then his eyes widened as he looked ahead. All colour drained from his face. “Hey!” Richmond kicked at his horse’s sides and it neared the wagon at the front quickly, cutting off the prying hands of one of the guards from the cloth flaps of the wagon’s entrance. The Lord refused to get off his horse and for good reason – he seemed taller on it, slimmer, confident that no one would harm him whilst he is seated comfortably in his overpriced leather saddle.

In the meantime, Irene moved her spear closer to her, angling it to point the sheathed blade at the ground. One of the guards, who had circled the wagon from the other side, was nearing the second carriage behind Irene. His steps slowed a few feet away from the woman. His head angled up as he stared at her, his eyes darting over the gleaming golden thread of her clothes. No doubt wondering about its cost. Or maybe if the broidery truly was a form of witchcraft.

Ahead, angry voices were heard. At her side, Marcus had gone awfully still.

Richmond remained on his horse and continued to hold position before the entrance to the wagon. The guard before him had snarled some words in response and glanced occasionally at the Captain of the guard. His hand darted towards the worn leather hilt of sword at his side.

Before the man could draw his sword and point it at Richmond, who had in turn reached towards the jewelled pommel of his rapier, Irene kicked at the sides of her horse and galloped the short distance to stop abruptly between Richmond and the guard. The guard staggered back, his hand drawing the sword mid step and he nearly slipped on the mud. Between him and the woman was her spear, held steadily and tightly in her hand, the sheathed blade aiming for the man’s chest. A silent warning.

“My Lord, please dismount your horse.” The woman said as she looked down at the guard. “They will look through your wares and be on their way.”

“Some rabble looking through my merchandise will—“ The Lord protested but was cut off by Irene’s cold voice.

“Will not disturb it.”

It was surprising that Richmond was acting this way. This was the guard, a group feared by common and rich folk alike for their connection to the Church. And there was Richmond, a barely educated man of miniscule wealth, starting a brawl which should have been avoided.

A sharp glance was thrown at Richmond from over her shoulder, her silver eyes narrowed and jaw set. Just then, Irene noticed the flap of the wagon move ever so slightly to a close and the merchant’s hand had ducked into his cloak. He pulled the thick fabric tighter around his belly. His face had grown paler and his cheeks were discoloured with pink and white spots.

All around them the merchants and their hires had begun to dismount. All, except for Markus, Michael’s bodyguard, and the mercenary with the stolen crossbow.

With a grunt, Richmond began to dismount his horse.

There was a flash of colour in her peripheral vision. The cloak flapped around Michael as he stepped towards the wagon, his arm raised as he pointed at the carriage, his lips parted in a snarl as if he was about to give an order or a reprimand. Instead of words his lips let out a burst of blood.

An arrow’s shaft was embedded deep into his neck. The blood soaked the furs of his cloak, the collars of his tunic beneath.

Thump.

The second arrow found its home in the guide’s chest. The links of the knight’s chain were broken and they began to fall on the ground, faintly clanking against one another mid-air, their smooth silver surface coated in droplets of blood.

Michael’s yes bulged out of their sockets, his mouth hung open in a silent scream.

Moving in front of Richmond was a matter of instinct. Irene shifted in her saddle and turned her horse quickly to wedge the merchant between herself and the carriage. The mare protested, driven into a state of shock at the sight of the man stumbling as he spat blood before the horse.

It was then that something hit the woman with enough force to make her nearly fall off her horse. A flash of pain, so great and sudden that it took a moment to register in her shoulder. The world had gone white and red.

Her body jerked forward at the left side so suddenly that all she could do was grip the reigns of her horse so tight her knuckles hurt and her legs pressed against the belly of the horse even tighter. The mare had felt the force and stood on its hind legs swiftly; it moved into a gallop and turned sharply in a semi-circle away from the wagon.

Thump.

The horse’s scream was ear-piercing. The animal bucked mid-gallop so hard that staying upright was impossible. Then, Irene’s hand had turned numb, her surroundings turned white and the world was but a bubble of pain around her. She lost her balance moments after, her body fell into a state of shock.

Somewhere far away someone’s angry voice snapped. “The hell you aimin’ at? Who gonna buy ‘er now?”

“Cursed thing, this.” A wet thud, the mud splashed as something heavy fell onto the ground. “Been aimin’ at the fuckin’ bloke.”

The fall had knocked the air out of the woman’s lungs. She landed on her back and gasped for air, groaning through gritted teeth at the sharp pain in her arm. Mountain and Gods below it, it hurt. The pain was blinding. It made the world sway like the waves of a great ocean, made the surroundings turn into a blur of motion and spots of red and white.

Chaos had exploded in the caravan.

All happened within moments. The morning turned into a cacophony of panicked screams and angry voices. Hooves hit the mud loudly from all around, the horses hurried away from the caravan and fled into the distance, galloping loudly. More screams, more angry barking. Fabric was cut, the wagon’s covers ripped off.

Breathe.

Irene forced herself to inhale and blink away the blindness. The surroundings came into focus once more.

To her left, Markus had released an arrow from his bow and it landed in the neck of one of the guards who neared his horse, the guard’s dull daggers raised mid-air. Ahead, the bald bodyguard had gotten off his stallion and was swinging his sword at another guard who kept staggering back, his sword raised in a poor attempt of defence. There were more clashes of metal, more movement from all around. Somewhere behind her someone screamed and gurgled, chocking.

None of it mattered. Not yet. What mattered was her charge.

Richmond was nowhere to be seen. There were bodies on the ground, sunken in the wet mud. A cold shiver ran down Irene’s spine as she looked around. Where was he? But a moment ago did she fall off her horse. Only a few moments ago was she at the wagon’s entrance, so close to Richmond that she could feel his breath against her neck.

Where. Where. Where.

There.

The wagon. The cloth flaps were pulled aside from the wagon’s entrance and from the darkness of the opening Irene could see the dirty soles of polished boots peeking out beneath a cloak. Richmond was in the wagon. He had gotten off his horse and had crawled inside. He knelt on the wooden planks, his hands busy moving the sacks of meat and the chests with various goods to the side.

Moron.

Irene pressed her lips together so tight that all colour drained from them. She grit her teeth and pushed herself off the ground moments after regaining her vision. Each movement sent waves of pain from her left shoulder. She scrambled to her feet, her left hand pressed against the muddy ground for support and she nearly fell face first into the mud as her left arm bent at the elbow, unable to support the woman’s weight. She shifted to her right side, pressed against the mud with the blunt end of her spear, and got to her feet. Despite the fall the woman did not let go of the weapon.

Just as she got onto her feet once again, the mud clinging to her coat, hair, and pants, her vision turned white once more and the world swayed. Her left shoulder refused to cooperate. She shook her head, bit the inside of her lip, and blinked away the blindness.

Charge. Job. Get there. Worry about the rest later.

One of the guards began to near the wagon, one of daggers drawn and already bloody. He had circled around the wagon after jumping off the driver’s bench.

A small chest fell out of the wagon and its lid flew open. Amber cluttered out of the chest, spilling all over the ground in droplets of orange and gold. The chest narrowly missed the guard but the contents caught his attention nonetheless. It was enough of a pause to give Irene a chance to reach the wagon.

The spear swung in one fluid motion and struck the guard at the back of his head with spear’s blunt end. Mid-swing, the woman had to twist her body and turn and let go of the spear to accommodate the lack of a functioning left hand. The weapon fell onto the mud a few feet away, propelled by the force, and rolled under the wagon.

By the time Irene had reached the entrance to the carriage Richmond had emerged. Red faced and sweating, his hands held onto the small wooden ornate box so tightly his hands shook. The box with spices. He gaped at Irene, looking as surprised as she was to see him. His gaze shifted to something above her left shoulder and this throat bobbed.

“Get to the horse.” Irene barked as she looked around. Richmond’s horse was nearby, but a few feet away, shifting on its long strong legs as it moved away from the chaos that was the caravan.

The chaos was taken advantage of. Richmond, bless him, had the common sense to follow his bodyguard closely. Irene had ducked under the wagon while the plump merchant jumped off the carriage. Her knees hit the mud, her fingers scraped at it as she grabbed the spear and pulled it towards herself. Then they were off.

The screams and pleas for mercy were ignored. The clanking of metal against metal and flesh was ignored. All that mattered was that horse and the man at her side who was wedged between the wagon and the woman as she led her charge towards his horse. They hurried towards the mount and used the wagon as a temporary cover from the fight on the other side.

Richmond barely got onto his horse. The animal protested at first but calmed down after Irene had taken a hold of its reigns and brushed the mount’s neck with her hand quickly to calm it down. The merchant refused to let go of the wooden box even at the risk of stumbling down his horse while trying to mount it.

“You know where to go. What we agreed upon.” Irene quickly said to Lord Richmond as he stared down at her, his face dotted with red and white patches and sweat gleamed at his forehead and neck.

He nodded and Irene hit the horse to force it into a gallop. Richmond headed down the road, towards the fork a few miles ahead to the south-west. He never looked back.

Good.

One look over her shoulder was enough to paint a clear picture of what was happening. The other merchants, the ones at the back, were dead on the ground by the time that Richmond had gotten on his horse. The other horses were gone. Behind the wagon the mercenaries who had been assigned to guard the rear of the procession had dismounted and were exchanging blows with the guard. Marcus and the bodyguard with the crossbow were still mounted and headed towards the overturned wagon some distance down the road. From where Irene was standing, hidden from the scuffle by the side of the wagon, she could see the horse that was pulling the second wagon now on its side in the distance, its stomach and back struck with arrows. It had probably run off in panic and pulled the wagon with it.

Around them was the forest. The nearest settlement was hours yet away, a nearby town a two days’ ride. They were in the middle of nowhere.

Irene’s horse was gone, along with the quiver and the traveling bag that held her share of provisions for the journey. With her horse a no-go, Irene had to expand on her options. So she circled around the wagon and winced at the sight whilst cursing in her mind. The driver lay dead on the bench, his throat sliced open from ear to ear. The horse was freed and gone. Michael lay face first in the pool of his own blood at the foot of the wagon.

With no other option Irene turned on her heel and ran.

The few remaining horses were taken by Marcus, the bald mercenary, and the hireling with the crossbow. Others were spooked, wounded, or dead. In the mud one could see the bright patches of the guard emblems on the chests of the dead. Two mercenaries from the rear guard had met their end as well and now lay in the cold mud. Most of the guard had been slain within the first moments of the encounter. With their foe disposed of, the mercenaries had turned on one another. The ones at the back had moved towards the wagon up front and had their backs struck by the daggers belonging to the still mounted Michael’s bodyguard.

The fight had been decided in a matter of seconds.

The wagons were in the process of being looted even as Irene ran and ducked into the skeleton-like forest. Her spear was gripped tightly in her hand, coated in mud as much as her own clothes and body was.

So Irene ran and ran.

It was not an aimless route. Indeed, she continued heading north west without hesitation. Her footfalls would have been quiet but for the loud crunching of the wet snow, the footsteps vivid against the bright patches of snow and dented deep into the soil of the darker spots on the ground. It was impossible to hide one’s tracks. She could only hope that the coat of mud at her back would hide her brightly shimmering clothes from the mercenaries as she fled from the scene of attack and entered the forest.

How long had passed since she began to run Irene could only guess. Time did not matter, not at first, all that mattered was putting some distance between herself and the main road. A half an hour might have passed. An hour? Still running she looked up and the sky had turned a darker shade of grey, hiding the sun’s bleak disk completely by the cover of stormy clouds.

Finally, she slowed her pace and continued to tread through the forest until she stopped for a moment to lean against the nearby tree with her right shoulder. Her left one was numb with pain that radiated through her entire back. Something warm and sleek had soaked through the fabric of her coat and made the thick material stick to her skin. In the very least the blood kept her warm.

Slowly she reached over her shoulder with her hand and her fingers contracted with the smooth polished wood of the crossbow bolt.

Irene cursed vividly under her breath.

It was not surprising that she had been struck with the crossbow bolt, but feeling it protruding out of her shoulder made the situation all the more real. It would be impossible trying to remove it on her own. The bolt was too far down her shoulder and too deep; each time she pressed against the bolt with her fingers the blinding pain soared through her back and left arm. Yanking the bolt out on her own would cause a lot more damage.

A cold shiver ran down her spine on spidery legs; all colour drained from her cheeks. It was hours until the nearby settlement. She had memorized the map and knew where she was headed but…by the time she’d reach the village the flesh around the injury would harden. Taking the bolt out would be a painful experience. Thankfully there was still a lot of daylight ahead. But this was no mere road, it was the forest. And she was armed with a bow with no arrows at her disposal, a small dagger in her boot that would do little against a wild animal driven feral with hunger after a cold winter, and a spear that she could not use to its fullest potential with only one good arm.

The scent of blood would lure the hungry animals and her tracks could still be tracked down easily through the white blanket of melting snow. So Irene groaned through gritted teeth, cursed the man with the crossbow to be buried by the Mountain, and continued on through the silent forest.

All she could hope for was that the mud would not infect the wound and the upcoming rain would not arrive before she reached the village of Sirdca, her current destination.

They scrabbled. Pained looks of panic and annoyance plagued their fat faces, twitching back and forth, looking at one another for guidance like lost rats. They puffed, they disagreed, they complained.

"I trust you are not insinuating a bribe may do in the stead of our jobs, sir."

A silence lingered, my voice low and serious.

"A child has gone missing, and at that one belonging to a family of great importance. They have made our instructions very clear. As well as our reward."

My eyes flashed from beneath the helm, staring out without falsities and without humor to the man on horseback.

Approaching the front came another rider, female and wearing clothes that struck me similar to the buffoons that had deemed it wise to tread in my forest. I made no noise of recognition but stared, hearing her words and rewarding them with a nod.

"She is wise."

I'd no idea if anyone else had heard the whisper, but elven ears worked well in the silence of a dead and empty forest.

They bickered and quabbled further, none of which I recall hearing much of past inane squawks but in the end the presumptuous man slid down off of his horse with a look of contempt and defeat, taking care not to make eye contact with the petty guards who dared pause his caravan.

Meanwhile, the brigands I had hired moved their way around in no manner of elegance.

"A thoughtful choice. We will not keep you long, I assure you."

I made lame attempts to reassure the man, but little was heard before the swift hiss of a mechanically shot arrow cut through the air. A man nearby, his mouth open in shout, let nothing further more than a wet gurgle. Life passed from his eyes and he fell, dead, to the ground.

My eyes narrowed. Thieves had not the coin or temperance for crossbows and the best I had seen in their hands were swords likely plundered long ago from defeated men.

Another arrow sailed through the air and I darted to the side, my attention now cut to swift retreat from a battle I did not begin and wished to have no part of.

Distracted by themselves, it appeared from a distance that members of the caravan had turned on itself.

Oh lovely.

Behind a tree now I rid myself of the weighty surcoat, letting it fall silent to the ground behind a large oak. And around front I watched, lingering quiet as a mouse as I drew my sword and waited for their numbers to cut themselves down.

It was then that in the distance I spied who appeared to be the leader of the caravan, sought and guided by the woman that whispered words of wisdom to her unwise fellowmen, and my face soured. He had emerged from one of the wagons, his face flushed with excitement and fear, with a small box clasped dearly within his grasp.

Perhaps it was only a hunch. But it was one worthy of following.

I drew my bow and an arrow slipped against the string, aiming carefully for his back. Before I let loose my arrow, the woman exchanged words with the man.

As I released my drawn grasp, she sent the horse on its way and I watched in anger as the wooden shaft sailed true into a place where he no longer sat and planted itself fast into the trunk of a tree.

Damn!

I contemplated pursuit. Surely I could go forth and do a man the favor of dismounting him from his steed. But the thought came too late...arrows sailed through the air, men hollered and blood stained black the ground of the forest.

It didn't take long for the commotion to die down, however literally. I kept my shelter in the thick of the forest, angrily keeping note of the direction the man had traveled and the sight of the woman that saw fit to send him off with what belonged to me.

She was, after all, the last one standing. I watched carefully as she stood with an arrow sticking from her shoulder. As her head looked around, part shock and part dismay. The horses, dead or gone. The men, mostly slain save the few that escaped. The men I had hired lay killed in the first blows although I wondered if they were any more than casualties in what appeared to be an internal conflict to the caravan...

This presented opportunities in the future, by chance, and I slipped the information away while I watched the child flee into the forests.

I gave it a few cold moments, watching like a hawk for further movement. And then I approached.

All were dead or gone. Mens bodies lay crumpled and bleeding on the ground in various states of battle preparation. Their swords half-drawn, perhaps not at all in the surprise of the incident. The wagons were shattered and torn, one of them lay on its side with contents spilling over the road.

I spent perhaps ten minutes searching the wreckage. For the slim chance they didn't know what they had. Just a strange elven spice, an herb used for teas, for tinctures of no great restorative value other than the spirit.

Cured meats. Dishware fit for primped nobles in their finery. Jewelry, affordable both to the masses and the mistresses. Beneath two or three crates, even a small box of infused salts that smelled of rosemary and marjoram.

I was sure of it. The precious little box taken by that ridiculous man was off in the direction of southwest, on hoof.

And the only one that knew his destination had taken off northwest. On foot.

I wasted no time. Flinging the rusting helm to the ground and readying an arrow, I collected the few I had sent astray before setting off at a silent run in the direction of that devilish woman.

---

Two miles.

My footfall was nearly silent on the forest floor. I leaped and darted to patches of brown earth, avoiding setting foot in the crisp crunch of frozen snow.

My breath was silent, nothing but a chilled plume of steam with every stride that disappeared behind me as quick as it had come.

And her. I kept my distance, trying to remember the geography of the land. How far away was the nearest city? The nearest outpost, the nearest inn or tavern within which she could seek shelter and comfort in company?

I was far from familiar with the land and my knowledge failed me.

Picking up speed, beginning to feel exhaustion pluck at my breast, I brought her into sight. The muddied cloak disguised her well between dark trees but little could be done to hide the uneven human gait that she stumbled and swerved beneath.

She had sent the man with my belongings in the opposite direction. She alone knew where it may be.

No longer caring for noise I slipped far to the west into the forest. Keeping a swift eye on her and rounding ahead, I collided with a particularly thick tree and ascended it as quick as a squirrel.

With no time to lose.

Bow in hands once more, I let loose an arrow ahead of the creature, planting it inches away from her feet.

A prime shot and I hoped she realized it.

A second sailed, closer still, enough to trip her were she not careful.

Bare once again to the cold winds that blew I felt a smile on my face.

If she were wise, she would stop. If she weren't, her back made a lovely target and I was certain she would appreciate a matching arrow in the opposite shoulder.

No sound, no breath, I readied and aimed a third arrow.

"You will stop."

It was a quiet cry in the forest but I knew the words reached her. All around us were trees, now looming as if they were watching and listening to the second half of the story play out. My heart beat loud in my chest, eyes wide in anticipation and I leaned back into the tree to disguise myself amongst the dark branches.

Play along, child. Behave and we can soon both be on our way.

It was getting progressively colder.

The wind was blowing in much more frequent gusts and the bare trees did little to provide cover. Without a cloak, as Irene refused to wear one for its length, weight, and overall discomfort of feeling an odd weight on her back, it was harder to deal with the cold and wet winds of Riverside’s early spring. The fur collar around her neck did little to provide warmth and if she tried to pull it closer to her neck and face the leather underside of the collar pulled against the crossbow bolt. The first time she gave into the temptation of pulling the collar closer to her cheeks Irene nearly cried out in pain as the bolt shifted against her skin.

The world now consisted of a dull aching pain and the cold white forest that seemed never ending.

And yet, she continued treading through the forest. The spear was pulled up to her side, held horizontally over the ground, and sometimes she brushed a hand over the nearby tree trunk for support. Not much blood was lost but the body was still recovering from the shock of being injured and the lengthy run into the forest had taken its toll.

All that she could do was continue to walk and hope that the infection would not settle in her injury and she would not pass out mid-way to Sirdca.

As Irene stopped for a moment to rest, her back rested against a tree, she brushed a hand over her face and wiped away the thin layer of water off her eyes and forehead. It was not raining, not yet, but the air was wet and cold and the miniature droplets of water hit her in the face with each sudden gust of wind.

Marcus, that bald bodyguard, and the mercenary with the crossbow. When did they plan the ambush? Was it planned all along, or had they decided on everything mid-travel? The wagons carried some wealth, but not enough to risk getting their already poor reputation soured by any escaped merchant or something or other. It was hard times, yes, the winter had been harsh and yet—

Thump.

Irene stopped dead in her tracks and momentarily veered to the left. An arrow had landed a very short distance away from her feet. A damned arrow. The day could not get better.

Feeling her heart pound loudly in her ears Irene ducked to the side, ready to dart towards the nearby patch of wider tree trunks to her side to use as a temporary cover.

She had not felt pursuit. She had not heard pursuit. Who, in the name of the Mountain, had released that arrow?

Thump.

The second arrow landed even closer and moments after the first. All Irene managed to take was a couple of steps, not even. Good on her footwork, she swirled around to face the direction from where the arrows had flown. The spear was raised and angled, held before her by her right hand. The left arm dangled uselessly at her side. She turned in such a way as to hide the useless limb behind the skirts of her coat and make her a much smaller target to hit.

It was then that the words reached her. It was not a question, not a request. It was a command.

So Irene stopped in her tracks and did not move.

Spear at the ready she looked around without turning her head in case it would be perceived as a sudden movement that would make another arrow fly in her direction and now land deliberately in her.

There was nothing. No one. Not a single moving figure, only hundreds and hundreds of trees. She looked up, angling her head ever so slightly, and could not spot any men on the branches of the trees either. In the distance it was impossible to see the difference, anyway, as the branches blurred into one big canopy above her head.

She only hoped that the two arrows shot at her had missed on purpose. If not, then she was a sitting duck, waiting to be shot.

“If it is coin that you are after,” Irene’s voice was steady and calm as she called out, “then I have it right here.”

The spear’s shaft patted over her side, over the small leather satchel of coin tied to the inside of her wide leather belt. It wasn’t much, just a few silver coins left over from when she had bought the provisions for the journey from half the payment up front.

“I have nothing else to offer.” She let go of the spear and it fell into the soft cover of snow. The yew bow on her back followed suit. Both were useless weapons against a hidden archer. Able to raise only one hand she did so to indicate that she was unarmed. The spear and the bow would not have saved her from getting shot, anyway.

If need be, running away from the attacker would be much easier without her having to carry the heavy weapons.

Meanwhile her heart pounded so hard in her chest she thought it would break her ribcage and run away from its imminent death. Gods, she wanted to run. Every pore in her body yelled at her to run, to get to safety, far away from the hidden archer. But the man had commanded her to stop. The arrows had missed on purpose, the sane part of her mind told her. The arrows were but a warning.

She only hoped that she was right.

The wind swept through the branches, shifting the lighter ones under its strength and on occasion gusting hard enough to send a ripple through the large. Patches of snow clinging to the branches shifted, falling quietly to the ground soft as a feather.

Nothing but this moved in the forest. It seemed, for the moment, that even the birds and the squirrels that were emerging from the cold, had decided to see how this played out.

Shifting my grip, making sure another arrow was at the ready should it be needed, I smiled to myself.

"I've no need of your coin. Tell me where you have sent the merchant."

I watched her from beyond the pointed head of an arrow, her face blurred by perspective in the feathered red end of the fletchings. And she thought I wished for coin.

Of course, what proof would there be of her telling the truth? I was familiar enough with the land, I supposed. Towns and cities nearby, although I hadn't visited them, I had seen and heard referred to by distance. Half a day's travel east, a quarter north...it was crude but it had served me well these past weeks.

It was something I had to consider. My eyes narrowed, breaking from her for a moment to shift around the forests. I still had my bearings, which may've been more than she had.

"Something of mine has been taken and I would like to get it back."

If she abandoned her wisdom and decided to move, the arrow was currently trained to slice over the bridge of her nose. A dangerous trick shot, but one I was willing to attempt. Besides, if I missed a quarter inch in the wrong direction, I had some vague direction of where my dear merchant had left to. At the very least...he would almost assuredly be the only one waiting for me when I arrived.

Richmond?

Irene’s eyes narrowed and she drew her lips into a thin line. Richmond, that scum of a meat merchant, apparently had more of a reputation that he let on. Was he the reason for the traitorous ambush at the caravan? Was he the reason why she now stood in the middle of the forest, possibly on the other end of an arrow? Questions that only Richmond had the answer to.

She considered her options as she listened to the hidden archer speak. One more careful glance around the area was enough to confirm her suspicions. There was no one around her, not on the ground in the very least. The arrows were so carefully planted at her feet, their red fletching a bright splash of colour against the snow.

Irene had lifted her gaze from the red ends of the arrows for a moment only and then stared down at them again. Red feathers. This was no common arrow, none that she had seen. The bird was not native to Riverside, where the arrows had the fletching of a white feather dotted with grey spots.

“The merchant?” Irene faked surprise as she shifted in her position ever so slightly. One foot slid against the wet snow beneath her, the crunch masked by the canopy of branches above shifting with the wind. Closer and closer did the tip of her boot move towards the spear that had fallen before her.

Then the hidden archer’s words reached her and the choice of future action had solidified in the woman’s mind. The tip of her boot was already before the spear, dipped into the snow. The movement was barely noticeable, masked by her body moving as if she was straightening and recovering from the shock of being shot at.

She only wished that her hunch was right and the man needed her alive.

The snow beneath the spear was still soft. This part of the forest was not yet affected by the warmth of early spring and it was still too early in the day for the temperature to rise and begin to melt the new layer of light snowflakes.

Feeling the growing impatience of the archer Irene called out.

“I am injured.” Irene glanced around, her silver eyes bright and narrowed. For a moment did she look in the direction where the hidden archer was but her gaze did not focus on him, unable to see him from beneath the branches of the tree that hid him well from her sights. “If you take out the bolt from my shoulder I will give you the information you desire.”

The tip of her boot dug into the snow and hooked the spear. All that was needed was to get the archer to get close to her and leave the safety of the distance and the cover of the branches.

“I am unarmed.” A blatant lie. There was still a dagger in her boot, and it would take but half a moment to kick up the spear into her hand. “And a woman. There is nothing to fear from me.”

Did she think I was daft? I ought to have sent an arrow through her rounded ear, all in good fun of course, but I bit my tongue.

"The merchant, yes, the merchant, your dear friend you sent away on horseback."

I was growing impatient. Being away from the safety of home forests was doing me more ill than good and the classic human traits seemed to be infecting me. No matter. Shifting on the branch, not letting away my aim, I silently shook my head.

"Yes, you are injured. And if you do not make your decision swiftly you will be further."

I had plenty of arrows but still, more may be needed. At that...the child was hesitant to give information. And I was in no mood to play games. Still, she was injured. And still...she was being foolish.

I let loose another arrow past her nose, landing swiftly into the tree behind her.

"And what sort of fool would I be to believe that? A woman, perhaps, but one traveling with a caravan - not safe inside the wagons, but out on her own horse. A spear in her hand. Who is to say you haven't further defenses hidden on your person?"

My face scowled and the distaste came out through my words.

"You right, however, in saying that I have nothing to fear from you. If you choose to cease your foolishness I will trade medical aid for information."

And then what. A misleading direction? Should she point anywhere but southwest my response would be swift. I wasn't fond of prisoners, but sometimes unwanted actions - and hostages - must be taken. As it stood, she was the only thing I had as a link to the lost caravan.

There was little time to waste. Should she be unnecessarily late, the merchant may decide to leave town in fear. The trail would run cold.

I descended the back of the tree as silently as I could. I was by far more dangerous with an arrow than I was a blade, and so when I emerged it was with one drawn and aimed, footfall still as silent as I could.

Forty feet, perhaps, stood between us. Distance would be my friend for now, but should we wish to make a trade it would have to be closed off.

"Raise your arms. Up. Direction for aid, is our trade agreed upon?"

I made point to nudge the blade on my hip, in sheath as it was it still proved a threat. Being on the ground made me nervous, my steps wide and cautionary, always braced to leap back out of sight.

The situation was unfavorable. But still, I had the upper hand.

Sent away on horseback.

So he knew. This hidden archer had somehow seen her guide Richmond to his horse and help him flee the scene of battle. In her memory she went through every person from the caravan and tried to match the man’s voice to any of the men from the caravan procession. None matched and yet his voice tugged at her memory. It seemed familiar but it did not belong to any of the men with whom she had been traveling for the past three days.

But he had been at the caravan when Marcus and the rest turned against one another.

The hiss of the arrow nearly made Irene stumble back. She jerked away from the arrow, her head turning so suddenly to the side she could have sworn she heard her neck crack unpleasantly as a response. A glance over her shoulder was thrown at the arrow. Same fletching but the tip was buried deep within the tree bark. It was impossible to tell of the arrow’s origin.

In her mind she made a mental note to memorize the damn arrow makers from all over Riverside. Who knew that this sort of knowledge would ever come in handy.

There was a flash of cold pain at the bridge of her nose and cheekbone. The arrow had grazed her skin. It was a but a scratch but the warning that it carried was enough to narrow her eyes further and set her jaw so tight it hurt.

The man had good aim. More so, it was perfect. She would have believed him to want her dead but for the words that followed. A cold shiver ran down her back and sweat glistened at her temples. Through the fast and loud beating of her panicked heart she could barely hear the words coming from the man hidden somewhere within the trees above.

Well then.

The man was smart. His speech was perfect. The dialect so odd and rare that she could not pinpoint it. His voice tugged at her memory once more. In addition to that, his aim was perfect. From the emotion that tinted his words it was a safe guess to assume that he was growing impatient with her and wished the encounter to end swiftly and without the woman’s poor attempts of faking innocence and foolishness.

But she was far from foolish and innocent. The entire time she had been prodding him, stretching out the time to allow herself to find him and come up with a plan of action.

It simply ended up taking too long and the man wasn’t falling for the bait.

Finally, the hidden archer emerged. She did not see him at first but then the movement to the side had caught her attention. Irene turned her head to look at the man, her eyes skirting over his body to take note of the way he moved and how well he was armed. A bow and an arrow, the latter aimed at her; a blade at his side. His movement was odd, careful and almost graceful as he stepped closer towards her in wide steps.

Against the stark contrast of the white snow she could see his long limbs clad in darkened leathers. There was only one person with such long limbs at the caravan, and only one person who spoke in such a perfect and oddly tinted speech. He was missing the surcoat and the helmet, and his face was hidden in the shadow of the hood, but…

“You’re the Captain of the guard.” Irene blurted out as she obliged and raised her arms slowly. In the meantime, her knees were still slightly bent, one foot still hooked under the spear, hidden beneath the cover of the soft snow.

Lifting her left arm proved to be problematic and she let her arms be raised until her elbows were bent at her waist; left arm slightly lower than the right as more movement was hard with the bolt tugging against the fabric of her clothes. Her left hand was covered in streaks of dried blood that ran from beneath the leather bracers strapped to her forearms.

Forty feet. Thirty. The distance grew shorter and shorter between them. By the time the man reached about twenty feet between them Irene nodded in agreement to the deal. “We’ve agreed, then.” She said and kept her gaze focused on the man before her.

Ten feet. That was all she needed. Ten feet until she’d kick up the spear into her outstretched hand, twist her body into a turn and hit the man against his neck with the spear’s shaft.

Only ten feet. Eight would be optimal. The spear was a weapon of medium distance combat. His bow would do him more harm than good in such a short distance and his sword was far too short.

Forty feet. Thirty.

She agreed verbally to the deal but I would always have my doubts. Giving your word meant nothing to these creatures...that was a lesson I'd learned long ago that I would not soon forget.

Twenty.

I dropped my bow - slowly - eyes steady on her hands. Behind my back it slipped into a sheath of its own while my other hand returned the arrow to its brethren in my quiver and fetched my sword in the same movement.

Ten.

There was something in her eyes.

Nine.

Something fearful. Thoughtful. Almost quivering. Would she be so foolish...?

Eight...

She fell to the ground, hand grasping around something buried shallow in the snow and bringing it around side. There wasn't time to dodge, only raise my sword to catch the spear a few inches from my face. The hard wood of the shaft thrust sideways into my neck, sending me tumbling roughly into the snow while my blade left, a solid gash in the side of her weapon from it, and came with me.

Damn!

Still. She moved swift, to surprise an elf, and I had to give her credit for that. I bared teeth and let out a rough pant, rolling with the fall and redirecting myself back to her. Landing on my feet, sight and focus interrupted by the throbbing in my neck (the muscle was certainly bruised and I was certain she'd pay well for that), my sword came up in a small arc above both of our heads...

Hilt first, it swept down into her shoulder. Next to the arrow the pointed pommel came down into the side of the wound, urging forth another warm spray of blood. It was enough to stun her, anyway, and it didn't take long to repeat the action to her wrist - the spear dropping once again useless to the ground - and with my spare hand slip her own around her back.

"Foolish!"

I hissed through clenched teeth. Damned humans! So petulant, egotistical, fool-hardy...

A hand dropped to free a length of rope from a belt pouch and swiftly I pulled her second hand back and tied it around her wrists, twisting in the center to provide no point for leverage.

From the north came a stiff breeze, a perpetual reminder of the near-winter weather. It was easy to forget the snow on the ground, the grass dead but thawing in the world around, but the chill of a cold face and ears was a distracting reminder, now that the immediate threat was closer to subdued.

And one that showed me something else in its wake.

When withdrawn, the tip of her spear had seemed to catch and pull back my hood, bringing the rest of my face and everything further into the grey morning light.

A few raindrops from clouds overhead pattered down onto my scalp, four icy needles that emphasized my mood. My hair still covered the eartips...but with all the action, nowhere near enough to maintain disguise.

I narrowed the features of my face into a scowl, now a little more keen on staying behind her.

"Do you feel now that you have put forth enough of an effort?"

I was hesitant to let go of her wrists or of my blade and let my breath freely pant through gritted teeth.

"Can we proceed from here with less spitfire, with further amiable cooperation?"

My only damned chance was right here. It would take a great amount of determination to keep me from seizing it.

"Should you wish to reconsider your word on our deal I am in a wonderful position to either remove this child's-craft arrow, or send it further into the bone. I will let you decide."

Adrenaline pumped in her veins as she attacked. The closer the man got to her, closing the distance between them, the harder her heart pounded in her chest. All she could hear was that mesmerizing beating of her heart, like a drum, and it prepared her for what was ahead.

Then the man was but ten feet away from her. Then eight. And everything became clear and crisp and no longer did she hear her own heart beat loudly in her ears.

All that mattered was the man, the snow where the spear hid itself after she let it go but a few moments ago, and the only good arm at her side.

It was a solid plan. Take the spear, attack, knock out her opponent and run. Run as far and as fast as she could to hide in Sirdca and ask for medical attention from some village healer. It seemed so simple, so easy, and it would have worked but for her own foolish mind that underestimated her opponent.

Leon would have rolled in his grave had he known that his apprentice had failed to do such an easy task.

The spear’s shaft flew true to its course. Irene had put her bodyweight into the hit to accommodate for the lack of a working left arm. The hit landed against the man’s neck but not quite as he was swift on his feet and blocked the hit with the blade of his sword. The blade embedded itself into the smooth lacquer of her spear and she pulled back the weapon the moment she felt the block.

Fluid in her movements and good on her footwork, Irene had pulled back the spear and let it slide against the calloused palm of her hand to grip it just beneath the blade. Her other arm still hung uselessly at her side but she forced it to be bent at an elbow and close to her waist to not be in the way.

His blade came above their heads and Irene ducked low but not fast enough. The hilt hit her shoulder and the world narrowed down to one word – pain. White and red flashed before her eyes and Irene groaned through gritted teeth. The pain pulsed through her body and drowned out the rest of her senses. Hearing, sight, any feeling in her limbs – all this was gone as the sword of the damned man swept into her wound. She had not even felt the hit against her wrist and could not clasp her hand hard enough around the shaft of her spear. Her body moved on its own and responded to the pain the only way it could. So the spear fell to the ground and sunk into the soft snow at her feet.

The man hissed something at her that she could not quite hear. Then there was tugging at her arms and it registered far too late. Moments, it took moments for him to bind her arms behind her back.

Yes. Leon would have rolled in his grave over and over while muttering how foolish women are with a weapon.

In the movement and the flashing of pain she had not even noticed the hood being pulled back from the face of her enemy.

Her long and thick braid slapped against her back in the fight and now it was wedged between her and the man. When the world stopped being a bubble of white and red around her and her body recovered from the flashes of cold pain, Irene shifted her hands behind her back. Bound by a rope. She brushed the tips of her fingers over the rope and could feel the cold smooth skin of the man only for a moment. Then she tried to pull back her wrists and could not do it all, the grip on her arms as hard as steel.

Behind her she felt the warmth of the man. His own body had pressed against the end of the crossbow bolt at her shoulder and she bit the inside of her lip to fight back a groan.

His words were dulled at first, barely going through the fog of pain. Too many useless words were said. It occurred to her once again that his speech was odd, perfect in the pronunciation and the structure. But for the swift response to her attack she would have thought that a nobleman had been restraining her.

The reply given to him was a stare as she looked over her shoulder. Her narrowed eyes were bright silver, vivid against her tanned skin tone. The white and black world around her made the colour of her eyes even brighter, more vibrant and cool.

Then her eyes widened and instead of a stare that promised curses and cold violence there was shock in her eyes.

Behind her was a man so handsome she had been taken aback.

No, he was not even handsome. The human term would not do him justice. There was this otherworldly beauty to his features, grace and elegance seemed to have embedded themselves into his high cheekbones and almond shaped eyes that were a vivid grey-green colour that reminded her of…home, of all things. Of the Izmarian ocean that she had not seen in almost twenty years.

She, who cared little for appearance and beauty was struck by the appearance of a man who had restrained her and who had shot arrows at her with such precision that it was frightening.

Her lips parted in a gasp at the realization who had been standing behind her. The tips of his ears were vivid elegant arches beneath the dark hair that framed his face in a way that made his pale cheekbones stand out even more.

An elf. An elf.

“You’re an elf.” She whispered under her breath without realizing that she had voiced her thoughts.

There was no panic in her eyes, no anger or fear. Instead it was utter shock at seeing an elf so far out of his home forest that she took great care to avoid. An elf was out of the safety of his home during these dark times when humans were accused of being elves simply because their ears had a slight arch to them or because they possessed a beauty so uncommon among the human race that they had to burn on the Cleansing Pyres.

Finally, his words had registered in her mind. The shock had left her eyes as quickly as it had appeared and she looked at the man the same way as she would look at any other enemy. Cautious and angry, not at him but at her own defeat. Suddenly she was all too aware of the weight of the long braid at her back.

The urge to hit the man’s face with the back of her head was great but she did not move. He was faster than her and his blade was still in his hand, while she was unarmed once again. Fighting for the sake of proving a point was useless. But damn it felt humiliating to have lost so easily.

“The deal still stands. You take out the arrow and I will give you the information.” And lie about it. Moronic or not, Richmond was her charge and the elf seemed to be determined to kill the meat merchant to get back his item. “What is an elf doing in these parts? Shouldn’t you be in your own forests, watching an oak grow?”

My breath hung in frozen plumes, drifting about us in mockery of a fog. What a day for all of this. The skies were still darkening around us, the threat of rain looming thick above. A part of me was gone, by its side something belonging to my people. A secret that could not get out.

And now it was riding away at speed, spurred by this woman who saw fit to see her duty - whatever it may have been - to the end.

I would not put down my blade. Switching grips on her wrist, I spared a hand to tug forward the blasted hood that had fallen, but not before a flash of silver caught my eyes.

Her own twisted around to peer curiously over her shoulder. Cool eyes watched me for a brief moment beneath slim black brows, slipping up and down in what almost seemed like wonderment.

'You're an elf.'

She spoke quietly, almost underneath her shallow breath.

Curiosity was an odd thing. It plagued all races, from the land to the sea, mountains to forest. But just as universally, it almost always caused trouble.

I'd heard of some hunts, of the new hatred for point-ears that seemed to have sprouted in recent decades. Why, I could not say, other than perhaps our rumors had gotten out of hand. But it was beyond my doing, and still, begged the question that if we were so horrible...what were they still doing tresspassing on our lands?

I hadn't given it too much thought, assuming that should I face hostility the offenders could be dealt with through action or escape. In the end, our race was still one of mystery and fear.

I hoped it would benefit me.

"And shouldn't you be in a quiet homestead bearing fruit, tending hearth while your chosen mate slays the monsters at your doorstep?"

Human culture was a strange and disgusting thing. I prided myself in my distance from it, but there were some aspects of it one couldn't help but know.

"Sometimes we choose to go another way, don't we?"

She had agreed to the deal, although the doubt in my mind was now solidified, and with it a solution. I was sure it would be met with more trying force, but that could be dealt with when we came to it.

I sheathed my sword, confident that while her hands were bound she was of significantly less danger to me. Should she run, I could catch. Should she fight, I could subdue. Should she shout...who was there to hear?

These despicable thoughts ran through my mind in defense only, I assured myself. With a hand on her binds, I retrieved the small dagger I used for hunting.

A thick brown braid trailed down her back, which I pushed aside unceremoniously.

The cloth around her wound was stained blackish brown now. The blood had a chance to dry, but more had come forth and the gash was once again wet. The arrow had sunken deep - a crossbow, wasn't it? - but with a testing prod around the tender weeping flesh told me it was just buried in muscle. That meant my job was easier, but by no means simple.

"What does a woman armed with spear do with a merchant caravan of thieves and, as it would seem, traitors?"

The purple fabric of her shirt was stained black and beneath it I could see the exposed flesh of the wound.

"A royal with the most peculiar of unhealthy hobbies? Indeed a hearthwarmer but one with a husband sent away by horse to a rendevouz - mind you that would have been awfully rude of him."

I paused, looking her over again. Leather bracers leaked blood at the wrist. Bracers were worn by those requiring a stiff wrist: archers and swordfighters.

"A sell-sword?"

As soon as my knife came close, though, the child jerked away.

How annoying.

I reset my face into an unimpressed scowl and gripped her by the wrist.

"If you wish to be free of this you must hold your ground, or have you again backed away from our deal?"

The hood was pulled up moments after she had caught a glimpse of that otherworldly face and Irene had looked away, even if slightly hesitant. Once more his face was hidden beneath a dark shadow and she could only see the bottom part of his face and the tip of his nose. So she looked away and shifted her shoulders, tugging on the restraints as she spoke to him to try and loosen the grip on her wrists. It was a pointless attempt but she tried nonetheless, even if only to ease the pressure on her left arm.

His words were responded to with a chuckle, a rasp of a laugh. “Quiet homestead and a husband would drive me to insanity.”

At her back she was suddenly all too aware of his movements. There was a hiss of a sword against a scabbard but the grip on her restrains did not loosen. She checked, twice, by twisting her wrists to check if the rope had become loose. It hadn’t.

Irene’s shoulders were tense and her knees were still slightly bent, her feet parted in a defensive stance. She realized well enough that running away from the man was pointless, not while she was bound and injured, anyway. Fighting back? Idiotic. There was a dagger in her boot, yes. It was but a hunting knife, small and nimble, hidden beneath the thick worn leather over her calf. But she’d have to reach it and attack before the elf’s swift reflexes, honed by centuries of training, would respond accordingly.

If he wished to bury his sword in her back, he would have done it long ago. And nothing would stop him from doing so once he got the information promised to him.

Unable to see what was happening behind her Irene listened intently to the clothing shifting as the elf moved. There was a hiss of another blade, different from the sword that he had put away, and then there was tug on her braid. She stiffened if only for a moment, her breath caught in her throat. But instead of putting the blade of the dagger to the nape of her neck where the braid had started, she felt a prod against the wound on her shoulder.

The pain shot through her back at the tug against the bolt. One of her hands curled into a fist as a response.

He continued to speak and as he did so she felt the clothing around her injury move. Was he speaking to take her mind off the upcoming pain? Or was this a poor attempt at friendship?

“Not a royal.” She finally answered his question. “Not married, either. Men of my culture prefer girls who had just gotten their first bleeding at the age of twelve. Others prefer submissive plump girls who like to roll around in hay.” Irene shrugged, or attempted to, given the bindings on her wrists and the steel grasp that held the rope. “I fit neither.”

Not that she cared for marriage. Without lands to make up a dowry and a family to negotiate the process marriage was impossible.

“A bodyguard.” She corrected his guess. “I do not kill for coin.”

Then the fabric shifted on her back, pulled aside by something cold and sharp as it touched the skin on her back. She jerked away, moving her shoulder forward and as far away as she could from the blade of the dagger. Cold shiver ran down her spine on thin spidery legs and droplets of sweat appeared at her temples.

“You want to take out the bolt now?” She glanced over her shoulder and narrowed her eyes at the man even if she could not quite see his eyes through the shadows that once again hid his features. “In a forest? While both of us are standing middle of a clearing?”

She searched for a sign of understanding and could not see any.

Of course.

He was an elf. They did all their deeds in a forest, middle of a clearing and all, using some tree trunk for more than one purpose.

And they dared call her people a barbaric race.

“Can I at least sit?” She sighed through her nose.

I let her flinch away and speak her piece, watching all the while in annoyance.

"Of course, how could I forget, your people take their destructive pleasures as innocent as they can. There's something poetically telling in that, don't you think?"

My face soured beneath the hood, watching the knife glint in the cool morning light. I kept it well taken care of, cleaned every evening whether or not it had come to use. Not that Elven steel needed the care, it had just become a strange ritual to help put me at ease.

The sight of it brought me nothing similar, though. Quirking an eyebrow, I slipped the tip of the razored blade into her wound and carved the first leg of an 'X'.

"No, you may not sit, and yes, I wish to take the bolt out now, unless you'd rather watch it set to rot. You favor your right hand, correct? How fortuitous."

I tightened my grip on her bond and used the second pull of the knife to slice a wider hole into the fabric around. Somewhere beneath the clotted blood, an intricate tattoo sprawled out from over her shoulder. I'd never understood the attraction to ritual scarification, myself, but was sure it had some pitiful meaning anyhow.

"Unless -"

A quick moment of thought, watching the fresh blood begin to flow from the newly expanded wound.

"Ah, what a splendid idea."

The knife withdrew, the blade wiped across the back of her tunic before I resheathed it at my hip.

"I shall hire a 'body guard' to take me to this village she sent her thief towards. In payment, the crude arrow in her shoulder will be removed halfway there, once I am sure we are headed in the right direction. Does this seem a sound deal to you, child? One that, this time, you see fit to abide by?"

A slender finger moved forward, delicately pulling at the wound. No intention of harm, simply a reminder and a quick check again on how deep it had penetrated.

"The wound is not deep, nor is it fatal. I cannot speak for the condition of the arrowhead but the chances are in your favor it has caused no more damage than a week of rest with a few stitches wouldn't heal. Unfortunately, if it is not removed and cleaned within - I say half a day - infection may begin to set in. My best suggestion would be to do as I ask and trust that, unlike yourself, my word has meaning."

I took a moment to double-check her bond, make sure it was secure, and spare a thoughtful look around the forest. It was silent, save for the struggling pants of her breath. Mine had calmed, now...perhaps it was the influence of the end of a cold winter.

"Contrary to what you may believe, I have no wish to harm you, or your thieving merchant acquaintance."

Now I felt it was alright to leave her be. Releasing my grasp I strayed a few feet away, collecting my strewn arrows with a careful eye on her and one hand on my blade hilt.

"I only wish to have what is mine, and be on my way. Do not fool yourself though..."

Two more arrows had sunken themselves into trees. With a swift jerk I managed to take them both in one movement.

"If you make your intentions so well know that you wish for me to harm you, I will oblige."

The grip on her wrists did not ease even as she shifted away but Irene pulled against the hold nonetheless. She had half turned to the man, as much as he permitted her, and watched him speak. The comment about her people was ignored and the response that his people do the very same thing was restrained in her throat as she pressed her lips together tightly.

In the corner of her eye the dagger’s steel gleamed menacingly at her. Her heart skipped a beat at the sight. It would take but a flinch of his wrist to either stab her in the back or slice her throat open.

The memory of the wagon’s driver dead on his bench, his neck oozing blood from the open cut in his throat, flashed in her mind.

Without so much as a warning the knife moved towards her shoulder and cut into her skin.

Not being able to see what was happening behind her was all the more frightening.

Turned with her back to him, her arms bound, Irene could do little but wait and try to calm down her rapidly beating heart. In anticipation of pain did she wait for the man to proceed with the removal of the arrow.

It was not the first time that someone was treating an injury on her back. The pain was always there, present but dulled by either medication or the warmth and comfort of the hut where she’d be treated. Rarely was she treated on the ground in the middle of the forest. And most certainly it never occurred like this – by an elf who took his sweet time in removal of a bolt that he seemed to wish remained in her back instead, if only to mock the human even more.

How fortuitous that I am not facing you to spit in your goddamn pretty face.

The fabric ripped behind her and she felt a cool breeze against her skin. The sound alone sent chills down her spine and behind her back the woman’s hands curled into fists in anticipation of what was to come.

The first cut made by the blade moments ago was bearable. It wasn’t the first time an arrow was being cut out of her body. It was a simple procedure – cut the flesh as soon as possible before it hardened and then remove the arrow. Simple. Easy. Fast.

Not with this elf.

Either out of revenge for attacking him or because he simply was a prick by nature, the man had done more than just cut the skin around the injury.

Droplets of blood slid down her back, running over the older dried streaks of blood.

The first cut into her skin had irritated the wound and the dull ache grew into much sharper pain that spread through her left arm and shoulder in spasms. Irene’s shoulders were tense and back no longer straight as she slouched forward, her body’s unconscious response to get as far away from the pain as it could.

She felt a tug on her back but not over the wound. Instead, it was over the fabric and with the flat side of the blade. Did he just clean off his knife without taking out the arrow?

Irene glanced at the elf over her shoulder, her lips pale and pursed, her eyes bright and narrowed. “What?” Was the man serious? She ought to have hit him in the face with the back of her head when she had the chance.

Child?

She would have scoffed at the title had she the humour and energy for it.

“I am in no mood for jests, old man.” Irene said and watched the man shift. Moments after a blinding pain shot through her body originating from that damned injury in her shoulder.

A tug, a pull.

Gods, it hurt. The pain was much greater than when she had fallen off her horse and landed on the soft mud. But for the mud the arrow would have pierced her bone.

Irene heard herself groan through gritted teeth. Then there was a metallic taste in her mouth – she had bitten her lip while trying to stifle the cry of pain. The world began to grow white and she felt her body becoming light. The first signs of passing out. Through sheer power of will did Irene stay conscious, afraid that in the event of her losing consciousness the elf would lose all his patience and kill her after getting Richmond’s destination from her half-delusional state.

She shook her head and blinked away the blindness. Forcing her surroundings back into focus and her mind to stay clear and sharp, at least until the situation with the elf was dealt with, Irene took deep breaths, panting through parted lips that suddenly felt very dry.

The man was serious, she realized through the clearing fog that was her mind. His words, his promise, he meant it all as he spoke to her. Even if it all did seem like the man was playing with her, toying with the human as if her life meant little to him beyond him getting the information out of her, his words did carry some promise.

“This is not what we agreed upon.” She hissed through gritted teeth and felt the grip on her wrists loosen until it was completely gone.

Without realizing it she had leaned against that grip, using the man’s steel grasp on her bonds as a way to keep herself upright while the pain soared through her body. Released, the woman stumbled forward and whirled around to stare at the man. Her shoulders shifted, bringing forth another thin flow of blood emerging from the wound. The rope was still there; it tightly bound her wrists and rubbed against the bare skin where the leather bracers on her forearms did not reach.

The arrows flew past her straight and true and embedded themselves deep within the tree bark of the trees near them. With those two arrows Irene felt herself being pulled further into a mess that she wished not to be a part of. Somehow, the arrows felt like chains that bound her to the elven man before her.

For a moment she regarded the man in silence. Still panting heavily, she watched him yank out the arrows from the trunks of the tree which he’d use as a target to show his skill, as if she needed a reminder of it.

“I will guide you.” She finally said, her voice quiet but steady. “But should I see that you wish to harm my charge, that you wish to take more than this item that you are after, I will stop you. Even if it means throwing my own life away. An elf or not, you bleed as much as a human. I attacked you once. And then I could not move my second arm. Do not think I will not be able to do so again. I care not for your business with him. I was hired to protect him; the rest is none of my concern.”

There was no arrogance in her voice. Instead, it was laced with calm that had gone from cool to cold.

The woman took another step back from the man and straightened. The wind moved the shorter stands of her hair and slapped them against the sides of her face and jaw; the long skirt of her coat shifted with each harsh gust of wind. The cold slipped under her coat where the fabric had been cut open by the elf’s knife but she could scarcely feel the cool breeze.

“It will take more than a day to reach my charge.” Irene began and nudged the spear’s shaft with the tip of her boot. “We had agreed that in case of an attack he would go south. Towards our original destination.” The spear was hooked onto her boot. She lifted her gaze from the spear and looked at the man. “Are you contemplating on shooting me in the foot? Relax. I cannot use my spear with my hands bound behind my back. Take it.” She kicked the spear up and it flew horizontally over the ground at the elf. The movement was too sudden and Irene had regretted it the moment she leaned back to accommodate for the lack of her arms as counter-balance to her leg. Her shoulder protested in pain and she set her jaw so tight it hurt.

“Richmond will stop at the nearest town south-west of here. There, he will wait for me for two days. It would have been one day, was I not injured. I would go north-west to distract…well, whoever attacked. He will be in Oakheart, I suppose. It is a two days’ ride from here. So I have four days to reach it. On horseback.” At the thought of traveling on foot with an arrow sticking out of her shoulder Irene had an urge to rub the bridge of her nose. She even shifted her arm against the restrains.

“So, my charge,” the word used to address the elf sounded more like an insult, “let’s go. We still have daylight and there are hours still until we reach Sirdca. We can catch a ride from there down south. It is best we don’t linger in these forests. Creatures…lurk here.”

She jerked her chin at the yew bow on the ground. In comparison to the delicate curve of the elf’s bow, the one on the ground seemed crude and harsh, carved by hands unaccustomed to making such weapons.

As crude as it was, she was proud of her poor attempt.

“Don’t forget my bow, old man. Hopefully your weak bones won’t break under the weight of a woman’s choice of weapons.”

Small droplets of rain began to fall from the grey sky above. Emphasizing the mood of the human and the elf below, no doubt.

The snow crunched beneath her foot as the woman turned on her heel and, after quickly looking around to get the sense of direction, began heading north-west.

"What we agreed upon,"

I waved an arrow in gesture before it slipped back into my quiver.

"Was an even exchange, a cleanly removed arrow and bound wound, in exchange for a direction. What did that get me?"

My hand raised to tap two fingers into the side of my neck. The muscle ached - definitely a bruise, luckily no worse - but I stifled the winces with an easy smile.

"That wretched pole into the side of my neck. Tell me, what happened to that agreement? You changed the terms, and thus so did I. In the end I have every intention of keeping my word, as I did in the beginning. Do you?"

Rhetorical, but that concept might've escaped her. She called me old, her voice dripping with spite, but I only smiled dryly at her. I was, however, far from amused.

"You will guide me, so I rely. Correct, you attacked me once."

Rounding back I placed a gentle pressure on her bond.

"Fool me once, as they say."

Still I watched with patience, contemplating what she said. Headed south-west, I could confirm. She had begun to take a note of honesty, one which was long since overdue and appreciated in its time. But the idea of heading north, only to travel back by horse was...concerning.

Dipping down I hefted her bow - a light thing made of a soft, springy wood that would have suited well were it not for the workmanship - and after giving it a home beside my own, her spear. What an unwieldy thing.

"You know, it does not concern me that it is the weapon of a woman."

With one hand I swung it through the air, snipping off a small branch from an overhanging tree. The black bark rustled, shifting in discomfort and I whispered a swift word of thanks in my native tongue to the spirits.

"More over, it concerns me how unwieldy it is, for any sex of any size. Were you mounted and approaching a battlement it may come of use, but..."

What point was there? I shook my head, forgetting the /possible/ use of the crude thing and instead holding it fast in my own hand. For the moment it would do for a walking stick, and the first thing to leave my hand - at speed, towards the forests - should trouble arise

"By your count then we have four days to dusk. One will be spent on our way to this waypoint, Sirdca, and two more on steed to Oakheart."

I carefully memorized the names, reminding myself to pay for the services of a mapman wherever we should next reach. If need be the creature would find herself tied to a tree a short ways out of town while I swept in to double check her information...but that was a bridge I would cross when we came to it.

"And, as promised, I will dress your wound once we are mostly there and I've assurances you are not leading me to any wild geese."

Was that how the saying went? No matter. The skies were threatening to open and drench us, and with the surrounding cold, oncoming night, and no protection at least for my wounded body guard, that would not do. Down the forested path, though we made most of it ourselves, I walked a short distance beside and behind her, keeping a careful eye on her gaze, her direction, and the bind on her hands. Once the town was nearby - the forest would assist in confirming that, there are some places animals are plenty wise enough to stray no closer than they must - we would stop and discuss the states of things.

Until then...we walked.

Had her hands been unbound she would have waved dismissively at her new charge. As it was, all she could do was shift her right shoulder in an attempted shrug.

“The bruise suits you. Gives some manliness to those feminine features of yours.” There was a tint of laughter behind her voice. Her comment may have been a poor attempt of a joke or simple mocking. Or both.

Beneath the shadow of the hood the bruise could be seen at the side of his neck. A purple and red thing it was, right over the spot where her spear had struck the man against the neck. The mark hid itself in the shadows of his pulled up hood and the leather collar of his tunic. Still small, it bloomed over the side of the man’s neck slowly but surely.

At least it served as a reminder of what she was capable of, even whilst wounded.

Not that he seemed to care.

That crude bow was a useless thing and she would not have cared for it to be lost deep in these forests, but it was a weapon. A weapon that she could not use. There was no issue with the stance – it was perfect by all accounts, but the aim…well, the aim was the reason why some nights she was unable to eat as the prey that she hunted had run off, spooked by a missed arrow.

If only spears were easy to hunt with.

The only arrows were in her captor’s quiver, anyway.

“A spear is a weapon of balance. If you lack that, it will seem unwieldy.” Irene watched the elf pick up her spear and swing it. At the back of her mind she supressed a wince; he held the weapon wrong.

“To each their own, I suppose.” It was not the time to start a debate on one’s choice of weapons. Her choice was an infantry weapon, while his was a bow. “Both mine and your weapon is only good in their own element. I never wanted you to take out the bolt from my shoulder. I only needed you close enough for your bow to be a useless piece of wood.”

It was the truth and her statement was followed by a shift in her shoulders. The quirk had become foolish already. Each movement of her left shoulder was painful, and yet she could not stop herself from shrugging. It was the only action available to her with her hands bound behind her back as if she were a prisoner.

In a way, she was.

At her side the elf walked with her spear in his hand and used the long weapon as a walking stick, of all things. The rounded blunt end of the spear left hollow dents in the snow beneath their feet.

Despite its rather worn look the spear was well taken care of. It was long, going over six feet, and ended with a triangular blade set into the wooden shaft by metal clasps. These clasps held the blade tightly in place but with the years of usage they began to loosen. The blade rattled ever so slightly within. And still, the blade was smooth and sharp. There were dents all over the spear, both in the wooden lacquered shaft and the metal top. The leather hilt still covered the blade, its simple golden broidery matching the one on Irene’s clothes. Now the golden thread shimmered in the grey morning light.

“I have got a rotting piece of wood in my shoulder, my hands are bound, and I am walking beside an elf. Trust me, fooling you is the least of my concerns.” For a moment she looked at him over her shoulder and then focused her gaze on the path ahead. “I tried once. What did that get me?” She mirrored his words and raised her hands as much as the bond permitted her.

Leading to wild geese? It took a moment for the right idiom to click in her mind and she chuckled inwardly. Leading to wild geese.

At first the rain was slow, falling in rare droplets of icy cold water on the heads of the elf and the human. Without a cloak, or even the ability to pull up her fur collar over her head, the rain fell on top of the woman’s head, making her bound hair damp and coating her purple and brown clothing into darker shades. Some raindrops had fallen into the opening around the injury on her shoulder and she hissed under her breath whenever the cold seeped into the wound.

Still, they continued on.

Irene did not speak and seemed perfectly content with silence. Her gaze would skirt over some shadow in the distance or some movement that seemed sudden and out of place. A habit. Without changing course, the two continued north-west, weaving through the thick skeleton-like forest. The soft cover of the snow had begun to melt and the dents from the footfalls left after the woman were full of melted snow and water. The roots of some trees were hidden beneath the untouched white cover and more than once Irene would have tripped and fallen but for the good footwork that redirected her feet as if by instinct and she kept her balance throughout the journey even with her hands uncomfortably bound at her back.

At times she would tug on the rope at her wrists. Twisting and turning her wrists at times Irene would try to adjust the position of the rope on the skin. Some spots of red had begun to peek from beneath the rope in the spots where it brushed against her skin. But she did not say anything and did not pull against the rope to try and loosen the knot. It would be useless, anyway.

It was as useless as slowing her pace to make the elf walk beside her. Exposing her back to him felt…wrong.

By the time they reached a stream the stormy clouds had changed their colours into a deep hue of dark grey. Somewhere in the distance thunder roared through the forest.

The stream glistened and glittered in the light. Surrounded by a cover of melted snow and ice, the stream passed by a patch of trees by the rocks nearby. A short distance away from the running water the rocks formed a dome-like structure, their wide backs blocking out the gusts of wind and rain, and above a thick canopy of branches made a cover dense enough to hold away the rain.

“Let’s wait out the rain.” Irene’s voice was a rasp passing through a dry throat.

As if on que the raindrops began falling more often and faster, growing in size.

Irene did not wait for the elf to respond and did not look at him, either, and headed for the rocks by the stream. Despite his silent, barely audible, footfalls she knew well enough that he had been following her the entire time, watching her and the surrounding forest. Distrust oozed out of the elf and she felt it through his stare on her back.

The ground was cold but she did not care. She sat down and leaned against one of the boulders with her good shoulder and positioned her left one at an angle. Her legs were crossed under her and she became all the more aware of the dagger hidden in her boot. The entire time they walked she felt that little blade against her calf, its weight reminded her of its presence and what it meant.

She leaned her head back against the cold surface of the rock and felt a stray drop of water land on her forehead. The cold felt good. Rest felt good. The injury in her shoulder was not yet an issue but the dull ache had drained her energy quickly.

“There is no trap here rigged to kill you. The stream isn’t poisoned, either.” She looked up at the twisting branches above her head. “You can check, if you’d like.”

Not that your wits are your strongest suit. Didn’t even check me for weapons.

She tried her very best to get to me. In a way it was endearing as she tried to craft her words to sting. I was sure any other male would puff up his chest, beat it in an outraged howl and leap to her in order to...maim? Kill? Teach a lesson? I would never be sure and I had no care to be. But me?

I only smiled. A fleeting thing that played at my lips like the first frost of autumn, delicate and subtle.

"We use spears as well, you know. Light and nimble things, despite their length, made of strong, durable wood and you know nothing of the strength of Elven steel. This is..."

Brutish. Unfortunate. But the wood vibrated oddly comfortably in hand with each plunge into the frozen ground.

Of course she had simply wanted the distance closed. If I had seen the ridiculous thing near her foot it would have gone differently, but not even Elven eyes were fool proof.

"And this, child, is why your word now means very little. If you wish me to leave that thing in your shoulder, simple say so, but remember well what trying to fool me got you."

Oh, the talk and the boisterous tall tales that humans communicated through. In the forests a threat would be no more than a smile, a head shake, and an arrow through the ear. If it had to come to it, and it rarely did (the concept of fighting your own race was one that often befuddled me), Elves generally did not threaten. They acted.

Here, that would get me about as far as a rock on a windy day.

We walked in silence from then on, my eyes tracing a habit from her to the forest around. I took note of the various wild things. Birds, their nests, the way the swallows came swooping down when we approached near. In the distance a small family of foxes scurried from their burrow, the kits watching us from some distance with an unhealthy curiosity that would not see them lasting long.

It was a dreadful time, this long walk. But it was my one chance. I had our destination - Sirdca. I had his destination - Oakheart. I'd told this woman I had no intention of harming her and did not much care whether or not she believed me; on the other hand, I had no idea whether or not her words was yet true.

Inquiry at town was required, from neutral parties. But that would be a day off yet.

The skies had darkened in hue and light, leaving us traveling soon beneath the veil of oncoming night. Passing at night was of no concern to me, it was only a matter of changing perspective and goals, but with a wounded child at my side things changed. With recent events many things had changed, and so when she strayed from the path with a quiet word I followed without comment.

But that wouldn't do, would it? Gods and spirits how I was tired of the pompous, overlording human act! Subtlety was not respected and they lost all the more for it.

"Were you to be able to poison a stream of fast-moving water without knowing its source, even I would be impressed. Sadly, I doubt you've the skill."

There were ways, of course. An intoxicant weighted with stones, a bottle with a narrow neck, the moving water bringing out just enough to flood all that sat downstream of it...but these weren't the tactics or knowledge of humans. Elven warfare was a uniquely passive thing, at times.

I watched her sit, opting to stay on my feet for awhile longer. Night was setting in, and with it, the cold. Had we kept moving, the blood would stay warm and keep the frost from our bones.

Dealing with this thing, I was prepared for nothing easier than a feverish child.

"We will rest for four hours. By then, the storms will well have passed and we shall resume course."

The moon and the stars were ample light for Elven eyes. It didn't too much occur to me at the time that human senses dulled in the absence of light, but still, it was not hard to follow course to civilization. The chances of her directing us further to the heart of the woods, and her own death, was unlikely. My supplies may not have been plentiful, but they would keep me alive yet for a week or so to come.

Before us, the sound of rushing water was a pleasant change from the looming silence of the forest. The occasional chirp of a bird did little to calm those nerves, but even such a small stream threatened to bring peace to the soul.

It was then that I realized what a peculiarly unfortunate situation it was that I had found myself in.

Caranthir, Elven ranger, on guard of the Western Front of the Periphery of Elven Lands. Well learned in his art, in many arts, and quite comfortable with spending his days in service of protection from the humans he once used to stray within. Used to play tricks on. Used to watch, talk, listen and dance with.

In the forests, the quickest things to change were the leaves on the trees. Seasons passed in the blink of an eye, leaves budding to a lush green before draining to the fiery passion of autumn's yellows, oranges and reds, before they shed from their branches and left the trees in slumber, only to repeat the cycle once more.

We watched, observing and learning, as they did, year after year. Sipping at cups of tea grown cold but somehow more fragrant in their chill. But outside of our domain, wars started and wars ended. Thousands of men marched on valleys in battle, in effort to bring peace. Children born, elders died, not enough time under their breaths to hone a skill, none the less pass along knowledge enough to grow wisdom.

It was no wonder they were creatures of war, with so little time on this soil.

It was no wonder that, instead of working towards unified prosperity and growth as a culture, they opted to murder and thieve their ways into success and maturation.

It was no wonder, that eventually rumor of the Malthelas reached them and brought forth visions of hungering greed. There was no wisdom passed from the ages to stop it, we had receded wisely into the forests away from their desperate grasps at victory through war, and with uncharacteristic amounts of luck their red hands slipped beneath our noses and plucked themselves an opportunity to make the difficult, much easier.

Did they know what it was, what it could do?

Likely they had some idea, some inkling of how it affected the mind.

But did they know just how much ill it could cause in the wrong hands...

The rain had started and the light pattering of thin droplets began to soak the ground. Overhead the sky was mostly dark now, no moon, no stars visible within it. That would make continuing difficult before it cleared. There didn't seem to be too harsh a wind, but with luck it would pass and we could be on our way.

She had chosen a large rock for a seat, comfortably positioned beneath the overhanging arms of a pine. It stopped the rain well, and without pausing for consideration I joined her, drawing my hunting knife and leaning her boorish weapon against the tree. Far enough away that, were she to get another hare-brained idea of escape, it would be easier for me to simply return the favor of a bruised neck than it would for her to reach it.

"Tell me, how common is it for humans to take jobs protecting merchants, without knowing precisely what it is they are protecting? Is there no detection of dishonesty or concern for the source of their wares, or do you simply not have that level of foresight in your grasp?"

I was bitter and feeling as cold as the rain. For such simple creatures to have slipped past under my watch...

As was my ritual, a small, oiled rag came out and I began to clean the blade that had seen little enough use. If anything, it would serve to keep my hands busy while my mind occupied itself with darker thoughts.

“Mountain bury me, you are a prick.” The words were muttered under her breath and not in the common tongue that they used, but rather in Izmarian. The language felt foreign to her, even if it was her mother tongue. But it was rare enough to hope that the elf beside her did not understand the words addressed to him.

Apart from being a prick by nature, as Irene had realized by the time she settled down within the shelter by the stream, the elf was also in constant need to be in charge. Not a natural leader by nature, as it would seem, but rather a man who wished to show his superiority before a lowly human at all times. Giving a time limit to their rest was but one of many examples of such behaviour.

She resisted the urge to roll her eyes as a response.

Stuck with an elf with a superiority complex. This is what her life had come to.

And yet, she said naught about it, even if it did feel wrong to be commanded in such a way. To be forced to take orders. He did, after all, have her life in those slender hands of his.

The rock dug painfully against her only good shoulder. She was sitting very uncomfortably against the boulder, having to twist her body and angle it in a way that did not make the end of the bloodied bolt in her shoulder scrape against the cold stone behind her. In addition to that she had to slide down against the ground ever so slightly to give her bound arms some space to rest. Hours of being bound like this had made the muscles in her arms ache. Or maybe it was the injury in her shoulder getting worse. She could only guess and hope that the mud from the fall and the constant prodding and tugging did not make the infection set in sooner than expected.

Beneath her the cool dampness of the ground had begun to seep through the skirt of her coat. Made of a thick fabric the coat had kept her warm despite the bursts of wind and the cold rain. But the fabric had turned damp around the sleeves and with no more movement to keep her warm, Irene felt cold shivers run over her arms and back.

Again, she did not complain. Keeping silent and calm, the human adjusted her position against the rock once more. By then the elf had joined her in the shelter and stopped by a tree after having put away the spear far enough from its owner. The spear was given a glance but other than that there was no indication in the woman’s eyes that she wished to reach it.

Her hunting knife felt both so close and yet so far away. Reaching down to it would take moments, taking it out would require but a small application of force. The long hem of her coat hid her legs well enough when she was sitting and it would provide good cover had she decided to slip out the blade and cut her restraints…but the elf was smart. He positioned himself beside her and watched her back intently. Irene didn’t know if she should have admired him for being smart, or hated him for the very same reason.

Instead she pulled her knees towards her chest and crossed her legs at the ankles.

His words were bitter and laced with annoyance. If he hated her people so much, if he hated her company so much, why attempt conversation? It felt like a foolish attempt of either friendship or…No. It was not friendship that was driving this man to converse with her. It was to hear the stupid human talk and solidify the notion that all members of her people were barbaric creatures with no education or wisdom to back up their actions.

There was nothing she could do about his perception of humans. After all, chances were, they were of the same opinion.

“It is common enough.” She replied. “It is the end of winter. Humans must eat and survive in any way we can. Or do you speak of my own wish to protect others for coin?”

Tilting her head back she looked at the elf. His face was still hidden by the hood, and with him looking down at the knife in his hands that he began to clean – either to send an appropriate message to the human or just to keep his hands busy – the shadows hid whatever expression he might have been wearing.

Against her damp hair the cool surface of the boulder felt ice cold. But it kept her awake and focused. The throbbing in her shoulder had become a nuisance. It made her mood sour, made it match the stormy weather above their heads; made her voice grow cold and snappy.

Flesh, cut open by the elf’s knife, still wept in bloody tears down her back, irritated by the cool winds and sharp droplets of rain.

The bloody elf was right. A few more hours and the wood will begin to rot away in her flesh, poisoning her blood in the process. It would be a painful death. And a much more painful treatment. Her life, or at least the state of her left arm, all depended on the man’s ever changing decision regarding the bolt.

She moved her gaze from the elf and looked at her left arm. Hidden behind her back she couldn’t see how much blood had seeped through the wound and stained the fabric of her coat and the leather of her padded bracers. She flexed her fingers, the strong lean muscles on her biceps contracting with effort. At least the arm still moved. Even if painfully.

At the thought of losing her arm her heart had skipped a beat and breath caught in her throat. Right handed or not, a spear was a weapon of balance. It was but a useless walking stick topped with a pretty blade in a hands of a one armed cripple.

“Is there any other way to be a bodyguard?” It could have been a rhetorical question or one for discussion. The tone of her voice had become much calmer now but still held a rasp to it. It was hard to speak, her lips and throat dry from not having had any water in hours.

“I am not naïve enough to go snooping through the background and merchandise of my charges and hope that they are innocent. Though I do take great care in choosing whom I protect. Well, took.” Irene gave the elf a side glance. “You did not give me much of a choice. At other times…well. Nobles, royals, some influential merchants that are involved in politics – those I steer clear of. They are corrupt, full of greed and machinations that bring the lives of innocents down with them because of a selfish wish to put their asses on a chair grander than the previous one.” For a moment poison coated her words. “If I am hired as a bodyguard, I protect the life of my charge. Their wares? None of my concern. Their rivals on the market, the price of their items, the origins? Not my business. Why should it be? Will my knowledge of the item and where it came from change something? Had I known one of Richmond’s wares was your own, I would have taken the job anyway. If I hadn’t, someone else would have; someone less willing to converse with the rumoured demon of the woods.”

It was not a lie. She was far too tired for lies, far too exhausted from the cold and the pain in her shoulder. Honesty seemed to be what this man enjoyed, so she fed him the information that was not much of a secret. It was common sense, really.

“Do not think protecting some sly and thieving merchant brings me pleasure. It brings me…assurance. Assurance that the word of my good job will spread. Assurance that he will remember me as a woman who had saved his life, once. Both guarantee that in the future I will have a reputation to rely on, and a man who owes me a favour.

“In the end, I have my reasons for choosing this trade. None of which interest you, I suppose.”

The rain had begun to pour heavily above their heads as Irene spoke. The heavy droplets of water shook the canopy above and at times a stray drop would seep through and fall onto the heads of the elf and the human below. To conserve warmth Irene pulled her knees closer to her chest and shifted against the bonds on her wrists to wrap the wide sleeves of her coat closer to her arms.

“I assume your choice of trade is more honourable than mine?” She asked, her voice a whisper now, barely audible above the heavy thumping of the rain around them. “Or do you take human hostages often and then try to justify it on greater good? Like that item that I know nothing of?”

She uttered something before we sat, something in a language I did not recognize. It got a quirk of my eyebrow, not that she could see, and a slightly lifted head but I made no further movement.

"If you wish to speak in the tongues of our heritage we may, but the journey will be much longer and further cold will seep from the skies into our words. A cold day can be surived but a cold heart has fewer chances."

My head tilted, eyes flashing up to watch her for one long moment.

"This, your people will never learn."

In my own tongue this time, the words flowing like water from my lips, wrapping delicately through the air to reach her ears. Detachment was a gift for those with vision long enough to see past the current events into the results which they held. In the immediate term, two beings of flesh and blood in a forest of cold and claw meant nothing. In the long term, perhaps, the successful conclusion and example of an attempted theft. The serrated base of the blade now shined, every crevace visited by the soft cotton cloth in my hand. This was, of course, being said by the man who was sure the thing that beat blood in his own chest was approaching ice.

"I suppose what escapes me is the need for 'body guarding'. One would think that if you intended on traveling broader than the nearest stone's-throw town you would wish to learn the art of defense."

To feel you were important enough to have the luxury of not caring for training in any manner of ways. Or perhaps it was simply the lack of time.

"And tell me, small one, how is a merchant thief different than a noble with a taste for gold, whether obtained by trade or by blood? For you to see a difference where the threads are clear, is disappointing. Do morals not come in to play? Politics, the endless, scrabbling struggle to climb the ladder of ephemeral success and one's own personal gain...is this any better than stolen wares of unknown consequence trading hands by those who do not, and will not understand them, and rightfully have no claim to?"

Bile entered my words as I spat them forth. My blade was polished and with a swift flick of the wrist it found its home at my hip. Another movement, the flash of steel in fading evening light and my sword was across my lap.

"That, is my concern. That had you known what it was you were assisting in transport, indeed, you would continue to follow."

A stern frown bent my lips now. The night was growing cold and through the thick leathers and hides I was beginning to feel it.

"But, of course, all that matters is you. In the short term, your next win, your next success. What lies beyond your lifespan is not of your concern. Demons of the woods, is that now what we are known as?"

The thought broke the frown into an almost joyous smile as I laughed deep and honestly. It was disguised by the rain, now beginning to pour down over our heads were it not for the branches of pine, and subsided quick. The amusement was dry at best. The only thing dry about this night.

"It could be fitting, depending, but I doubt your people have truly seen that side. Few do. Even I have only heard stories...human hostages are nothing but an unfortunate inconvenience. Should you have been willing, open, perhaps it would be closer to traveling companion than prisoner. But this was a path you chose to leave on your own."

I glanced back at the spear, safely tucked leaning against the massive base of the pine.

"I have told you, no harm will come to you should you at last decide to hold true to your word. You will be free to do as you wish, to frolic and warn and shout loud about the inherent dangers of Elves and their forests and what awful creatures we are...by finding yourself leading one, unharmed except by your own stubborn will, into a city. I don't lie to myself about the nature of my task nor my deeds, but that is a truth I heartily doubt will be passed when you regale your friends with this tale."

And oh, how it would be a pleasure to be rid of her. My sword began to gleam again, the small roughened edge from its meeting with the spear once again polished smooth.

"Do you truly think an elf would leave his woods to chase after some item that was not his own? Think hard, when was the last time you met an elf too distracted by material gains to think hard about potential consequences?"

Perhaps never. I could not speak for other clans, by my own made no habit of passing the forest borders these days. I was beginning to see the reasons we kept back.

By the Gods and spirits this was trying. To be back, warning the others although I was sure someone had noticed my absence and that of the patch of herbs by now, at my post or perhaps preparing to retire. I was two years from descending for a time, a mild break from hunting and watching taken to the glowing cities buried in branch and bush...

But duty called. The frown was back once again. I placed the oiled cloth back in its pouch, but kept the blade across my lap.

"I will say it again. Do as you say you will and no harm will come to you, or your employer, or anyone who does not bring it upon themselves. I have nothing to gain from..."

I hadn't noticed. Around us, the forest grew silent. Whether through rain or other cause the birds ceased chirping, the wind stopped blowing. A cold stillness held the air and out from beyond our circle of rocks the only noise was the rushing sound of raindrops on a fast moving river.

That was an unusual happening...

I raised my hand, a gesture for silence I hoped she understood, and silently stood with blade in hand.

Animals fled from humans and from signs of life. To them, the pair of us counted as that.

Beyond the river in the darkness, a shadowed figure half my height shifted in haste from behind a tree to behind another large rock.

Soft yellow eyes caught the light, rounded and curious, watching us with unknown intent.

They also, wisely, fled from the fey.

The words uttered in Elven tongue were…they were smooth. Like honey, like water, a cool breeze or even a soft stream of water middle of a forest. It was an odd sensation to hear it. The language was a beautiful one, shifting and turning the sounds so pleasant to a human ear that a part of Irene’s mind, the part that so utterly human and mortal, wished to hear more of it.

It was not the first time that she had heard the language. It had been years since she heard it, years since she tried to learn it and failed miserably at it to the dismay of her teacher. Adapt at languages, even Irene had troubles grasping the elegance of the immortal tongue. Perhaps, it was never meant to be understood by mere mortals.

Suddenly she felt all too aware of her mortality and of the difference between her and the elf beside her. They were similar in some respects and yet…so very different. He looked to be around her age, and yet ageless; it was hard to guess how old he was in human years, let alone in elven. He could have been a century old or nearing a millennium. Their height was similar, but their bodies were built differently. Hers lean and strong, honed by years of wielding a spear. His nimble and quick, his entire being made to use a bow, and he had centuries to master the craft.

The difference was almost terrifying.

She pushed the thought aside. Elf or no elf, he was but a man. A man who was a prick and who spoke in words that her tired mind had troubles grasping.

“Some lives aren’t meant to have fighting in them. Others are born for it.” Irene said quietly, a delayed response to a comment uttered by the elf earlier about a traveller’s lack of training to provide their own defence.

Either brought forth by the fatigue and the aching pain or the memory that was attached to her words, in the distance Irene spotted a figure. Through the thick curtain of rain, it was hard to see. Heavy droplets of water fell hard and fast, released from the pregnant dark grey clouds above. As the elf and the human talked, or attempted to as it felt more like a duel of words, the pure white of the snow had begun to melt away. Patches of dark thawing grass began to appear here and there, where the branches of the trees above did not reach. The view of the forest seemed distorted, the heavy pour making the shadows twist and turn; the darkness was amplified. It made the forest seem all the deadlier.

At first she thought it to be a shadow. A mere flicker of branches behind the curtain of rain. But then lighting flashed above and the figure became clearer. Tall and lean, it appeared to be a man with broad shoulders and thick arms. It was hard to see, but something twisted and turned around the shape’s legs – a hem of a long coat. It stood fifty feet away, maybe more, with his arms behind his back and feet planted firmly on the ground.

Above a raindrop slid down the pine branch, landed on the woman’s forehead and slid down her brow. Unable to wipe away the water she jerked her head and blinked away the moisture. By the time she opened her eyes the figure was gone.

She looked at the elf whose name she still did not know. He had just taken out his sword as he continued to speak to her. The blade was placed across his lap and she gave it a wary glance. It seemed that he had not seen the figure in the distance. His voice was as cold as the stone behind her, the words spat out in anger and annoyance that clung to the elf. When Irene looked back at that spot in the distance all she could see was a patch of melting snow behind a thick curtain of cold rain.

Just in case Irene changed her position. She leaned forward and pulled her knees under her, spread wide beneath her on the damp mossy ground.

“What lies beyond my lifespan is exactly why I chose to be a bodyguard.” Now it was her turn to add irritation to her voice. The man was near infuriating. He assumed a lot, weaving his own ideals to overpower her own, or so it seemed. But it was no time for such a conversation nor the place.

His laugh, however, made the atmosphere between the two less tense. It was bright sound that carried away the worries of a strange lurking figure in the distance.

“Demons of the woods is the least insulting term. They call you tree fuckers, too. Knife ears. I can go on.” Again she shrugged and regretted it immediately. The cursed bolt scraped against the boulder behind her and pulled against the already battered muscle of her shoulder. By biting the inside of her lip the woman suppressed wincing at the pain and her own stupidity.

His further words were met with a quirked brow. “If I wished to end up dead, I’d have tried to attack you again long ago. Or just asked you. Uttering one word about having even talked to you is going to guarantee me a spot on the Cleansing Pyre. Danger of Elves, my ass.” She scoffed at the phrasing. “Only milkmaids and laundresses believe such idiotic stories. Trust me, I heard plenty. Rumoured to be some ancient beings, your people sleep and hide in their forests. Ready to attack one day and claim back their lands. You command dangerous, devil-sent creatures that steal babes in the dead of the night to sacrifice them to your wicked gods. The evil magic of your people brings forth plague and famine, it kills the crops and dries the rivers that are full of fish. And this is only the beginning. The Priests preach of your kind day and night.”

Another shift of her shoulder, now only the right one.

“Being associated with one of your people will get me tortured and burned. As superstitious and baseless as these tales are, telling my friends of our travels is going to get me dead before I even finish the tale.”

And then was another masked insult leaving his lips. The tension driven back by his genuine laugh had returned twofold. Irene pressed her lips together tightly and looked at the elf, tilting her head to look beyond the shadows that hid his face.

“Fifteen years ago,” she said coolly, “I met one of your people. She was less of a prick than you are, though, and—“

A raised hand had cut off the remaining words.

Irene stared at the man beside her, her lips parted from having stopped speaking mid-sentence. Then, she looked past him at the direction where his own gaze was aimed at. At first there was nothing. Just a patch of darkness beyond the river topped with broken shards of ice. But then the darkness rippled, moving and shifting in one fluid but sharp movement it stepped from behind a tree and towards a rock nearby.

But instead of soft yellow eyes that the elf had seen, Irene had spotted a flash of purple.

Suddenly she was all too aware of the silence around them. The forest was still. Even the rain appeared to have quieted down.

“Sit down. Sit down, damn you.” The words were a barely audible whisper.

She leaned forward until the tips of her boots shifted beneath her and changed her position into a crouch. The long skirt of her coat was cut over the back and the sides to allow better and unrestrained movement. Slowly she reached with her fingers towards the hem of her coat and pushed the skirt aside to expose her right calf.

“It’s a bogge. A spirit that feeds off negative emotions. It will appear as something that you fear. Do not move. Or speak. It is blind.” Irene spoke quickly and quietly, so quietly that even she could scarcely hear herself over the loud thumping of the rain.

The tips of her fingers grazed the soft leather of her boot. Just there, a few inches into the boot, was the leather wrapped hilt of the knife. As she spoke she continued to stare in that patch of darkness where the lean figure had moved to.

She hooked her index finger into the leather and then stopped, waiting. Her heart beat so loudly within her chest that she was positive the elf would hear it. All colour had drained from her face, even the ache in her shoulder had subsided. None of it mattered.

Slowly she dipped her finger into her boot and felt the smooth hilt of the hunting knife. “Calm down and it will pass. Do not try to kill it. Do not look at it. It takes form when you do.”

Their bickering, their mutual anger and distrust for one another – this had lured the damned creature out of its hiding. How long had it been stalking them? Hours, surely. It may have been attracted to the sounds and feel of death from the massacre at the caravan. Then, it kept close to the injured woman, feeding off her pain and panic, her need to reach a settlement to be treated and meet her charge to finish the job. The elf toying with her wound, spitting out words of annoyance and anger at her…it must have been a feast for the bogge. One that it had enjoyed, no doubt. And wished to finish the meal.

The blade hissed as she pulled it out of her boot. She only hoped that the sound was masked by the pouring rain.

CRUNCH.

Irene nearly jumped out of her skin at the sound.

Only a couple of feet away from the stone and tree shelter which the human and elf had taken as their refuge for the night, a branch had given way under the weight of the downpour. The heavy wet snow slid of the pine branch and fell onto the ground in a flash of white and splashed against the wet mossy soil. Droplets of water and bits of melting snow scattered around the place of impact.

In that very same moment an odd feeling scraped against the woman’s mind. It felt like a claw, cold and sharp, that scratched at the inside of her head. It was disgusting and so utterly terrifying that all Irene could do was grip the leather hilt of her hunting knife so hard her knuckles turned white and her fingers shook.

There, standing beside the spot where the snow had fallen was a man. Dressed in purples and browns, he wore a coat very similar to Irene’s and it reached all the way down to his ankles. Cut at the sides, the coat was broidered in a very similar manner as the woman’s, depicting symbols woven with a steady and expert hand. The bronze and gold nearly shone against the start contrast of the darkness of the night.

Suddenly the man fell onto his knees, the large calloused palms placed before him for support and he leaned down so close to the ground that his face almost brushed against the wet forest floor. A long thick black braid trailed down his back and rolled over his muscled shoulder to fall heavily against the snow. The braid was much longer than Irene’s, who’s reached to her hips.

Irene shifted her gaze to keep the bogge constantly in her peripheral vision. The creature jerked in sudden movements as it moved on the ground on all fours. He was only a blur of colour in the corner of her eyes, but even then she could see how gradually the appearance of the man changed. First it was a young man, aged somewhere between thirty and forty, but as he began to move, his limbs jerking at odd angles with movement, the body began to age. He circled the area, keeping with his back to the two beside the stream, until finally he was kneeling across from Irene, the side of the man’s face still pressed closely to the ground but not disturbing the snow.

No longer were muscles roped around his bare arms; instead they had gone limp. No longer was that back broad and strong; the purple cloth clung closely to the bony ribs and angled shoulder blades and elbows. Now his skin hung loosely towards the ground. There were dark spots here and there on the man’s much thinner skin. The deep set black eyes were encased in a myriad of wrinkles and all Irene could see were large black empty holes where once bright eyes full of life had been. The braid was greying.

The cold claw scraped against the inside of her head once more, as if beckoning the human to look in the direction of the figure.

Instead she slowly turned the knife in her hand and pressed its sharp blade against the rope on her wrists. The entire time she kept her gaze focused on the tips of the elf’s boots.

CREAK.

Above them the pine branches moved beneath the weight of the rain.

"Only a fool seeks out battle. The wise man prepares for the worst."

Roughly translated, of course, but it didn't matter. The words would go unheard no matter how close to the truth they were.

One by one she rattled off a series of names we had accumulated over the years. They were just as creative as the older ones: point-ears, silver tongues and mud layers. I would never understand the human penchant for nickname, but they would never understand why slurs did not bother me, either.

It seemed rumors had been spreading far and wide, if she was to be trusted to an alarming agree. It tugged a note of worry into my brow, but at that moment other things had come to be dealt with.

The forest was indeed darkening, but it wasn't due to night entirely. How could I be so stupid? Allowing something like this to trace our path...sure, we left a tasty trail of bread crumbs to follow, but I should have known...

"Bogge."

I whispered the word under my breath and it was soon the only noise beneath the hiss of rainfall. It was a name I had heard before but this creature...had many.

"Still your tongue!"

I lashed back towards her without glance behind, sheathing my sword in place of bow. The wood was warm in my hand, a quality I always found comforting in times like this. And now, especially, it was needed.

The black thing approached from the shadows, nothing but a shade itself. Without motion it slipped across the stream, seeming itself almost frozen in time while dark wisps floated by. It made no noise. Phantom limbs twisted and lurched, blindly groping for hints of that which we had been leaving it.

Fear. Hatred. Anger. Discomfort.

Everything which we now embodied, it sought, hungry and vile by nature.

We had a name for these things as well.

Aitvar.

On the periphery of my vision I could see what appeared to be an old man. It gave me pause, when a dull echo of a screech began to infiltrate my mind, but I tried to pay no attention to it.

I moved my hand to my quiver, carefully, not moving my eyes from the shadowed figure.

The man shifted, his clothes peeling from a growing frail figure. It had been well built before, muscular, attractive. In the end, nothing stood the test of time.

It's an illusion, Caranthir.

The fletching brushed soft against the tip of my fingers. They were numb: my face, my hands, my body was chilled to the bone. I was soaked, standing ready no longer beneath the shelter of tree. Rainwater dripped in steady streams from the brim of my hood, soaking the cloth and sticking roughly to my cheeks. I knew no matter how many layers I wore, though, the cold would still permeate.

Focus. Do not let it fool you...

The creature was of shadows and darkness. It never took a specific form, and legend told if you were ill fortuned enough to see it you would never live to speak of it anyway. With that in mind I directed my gaze through it, through the shifting limbs and tendrils that seemed to crack and sway in mockery.

Shadows and darkness. The forest, its home. The forest, my home...in flames.

The silhouette was cast long and far now. Fire, roaring fire, blazed beyond...far too much to wish to be doused. Within it I could hear faint screams, familiar voices in a familiar language.

They cried words of pleading, begging, terror and pain.

It's just an illusion.

My face tore out into a grimace and the brittle wood of the arrow's shaft stuck strong between my fingers. Rainwater dripped down my fingers, wetting the feathers and I made a distant mental note to adjust my aim accordingly.

It stood on the riverbank now. As much as it ever 'stood' anywhere. Lurking, of the shadows itself, and again I felt the clawed fingertips plucking at the fabric of my sanity.

'You were away, Caranthir, you were away.'

Voices grew from behind the sound of the roaring fire. Faces grew within it, but only for the fraction of a moment before they melted away, visages torn with grief.

'No one to warn us.'

My hand began to tremble, the blood coursing through my veins slowing and drinking in the cold with the rest of me. Reaching into my tunic, a small pouch that hung around my neck was withdrawn. Made of a fine silk it was green, the color of a sage leaf, and I fumbled with one hand to open it. Just a pinch...the soft earth in the bag smelled of home, of hope, of pleasant times and memories. I felt the creature withdraw if only for a moment, but the fire blazed and it came crawling back with an invisble smile felt on the air.

Beneath the rain the earth turned wet, and very carefully I rubbed it along the underside of the tip of the arrow. The remainder I left on my fingers - a prayer for luck - and rose the arrow into the bowstring.

Its eyes were wide, hungry and hopeful. I had lost track of the human girl, of the rain, of the forest, of the world around. The bogge loomed close now, sniffing us out by scent of our fear.

The fire crackled and popped, branches cracking under the pressure of heat and flame.

'Because of you.'

CEASE.

Held near my vision for aim, my hand trembled before me. One atop, two beneath, the fletching nestled itself into the string of my bow and I began to draw back.

Like nails on finely crafted glass the creature clawed at my mind, begging to be let in.

One shot.

My right foot shifted and the beast turned its 'head' to me, chest heaving in broken pants as it attempted to spy where it saw movement.

One.

I drew my grip back further, taut and aiming an inch high to accomodate for the wetted feathers. On the metal tip the earth of my home melted into the grooves.

Shot.

My breath steadied. I thought of calm, breathing in deep to inhale the smell of sweet earth and exhale the demonic cold the creature had given to me.

"May Gods, Nature and Spirits allow."

My grip released and the world all seemed to freeze. One object alone moved, my sight trained on its aim, watching as it cut through frozen raindrops towards its target.

Its eyes were wide, yellow, still hungry. So close to its prey.

Through the air the arrow whistled, and that was the last thing it heard.

Piercing the head it landed noiselessly, but it did land. Between the two bastard yellow eyes a wooden shaft now protruded, waving gently as the rain again began to beat down upon it.

It did not cry. It did not wail nor did it thrash. The golden eyes only narrowed in anger and fury, confusion and the same hatred which it endeavored to feast on.

The fire faded away, doused by the pounding rain. Noise returned to my ears, light to my eyes, and on the ground in a pool of fading shadow being wisked away by the rapid tides of the stream, was my arrow.

The head was blackened, as if burnt, but the soil was still there, now being washed away in the rain.

"Thanks given to those who watch."

My breath was slow and steady to come, but it tasted sweet, the air now clear of hate and fear.

The cold pushed against her mind.

First it was one claw, then another. With each moment that lasted an eternity another sharp prod was added, tugging and scratching at the wall within the woman’s mind. It left cold tendrils in its wake that never faded. Like scars, they remained within Irene’s mind and weighted down her mind heavily.

A headache began to spread from the back of her head and her eyes strained as she forced herself to look away and focus on something else. On the tips of the elf’s boots. On the wet snow beneath. On the grey of the stone behind them. Anything was better than the figure a few feet away.

Look at me.

It beckoned to her, its voice a whisper. A raspy deep voice that brought forth memories long buried.

The snow. The boots. The grey stone.

Look at me. I am what you are.

The cold blade of her knife slipped against the rope, cutting a small dent as her fingers strained to keep the knife in a steady grip. The muscles of her arms taunt.

I am a memory. I am a reminder. I am your future.

The purple shadows shifted around the bogge, rippling from the robes of the man on the ground. Gold gleamed brightly, the woven symbols so akin to hers. Make by her, years ago. Sewn onto the fabric with care. With love. With respect and admiration. Now the superstitious symbols of protection drawn onto the hem with bronze and golden threads were but a depiction of the past.

‘You are the proof that I lived.’

The voice had changed then, switching from a cold whisper that promised sure death to a warm deep baritone tinted with age.

She clenched her jaw and winced, shutting her eyes tightly. It had been years since she’s heard the voice. Slowly she opened her eyes once again and tilted her head to the side in a poor attempt to completely get rid of the figure’s broken body. He still was there, lingering on the outskirts of her vision, jerking in one spot like an insect.

You are the reason why I lost what was fated to me.

The scraping against her mind continued harder. It was so hard to ignore it, so hard to continue looking away from a man on the ground that made her heart clench at the mere sight of the colour of his clothing and the thread that gleamed at her, luring her to look at the work of years ago.

Despite still being in the shelter of the pine branches that creaked and bent under the weight of the rain, Irene felt the numbing cold spread through her body. The cold seeped into her clothes, penetrated the fabric until it finally met her skin. It felt like being put into a water so cold it froze the blood in one’s veins. Soon, the hilt of the knife was barely a pressure against her fingers and the wrists no longer hurt from straining to maintain the hold.

It felt like the tendrils of smoke had reached her, drawn to the fear and pain of the sole mortal. A hand shifted on her back, a manifestation of the cool shadow outstretched from a curious bogge that could smell its prey. It was a testing touch at first, as if it did not quite know where the pain and despair emanated from. The cold moved over one spot and towards another, stroked down her left arm.

The warmth did not return to her limbs after the touch had faded.

Up it went over the arm. The shadow halted if only for a moment, hovering over the injury on the woman’s shoulder. It wanted to touch that tender spot in her flesh. She felt its need. Cold grew nearer. It tugged at the bolt with an invisible force and went deep inside the wound, wrapped around the arrowhead deep in her flesh. The muscles in her back spasmed, the flesh irritated by the unnatural force. Blood began to flow from the clotted wound, dripping down her back in small rivers of red.

There was no pain. Just utter stillness.

A familiar smell clung to the cold. A scent of newly cut grass mixed with sweat and herb mixtures.

A sole claw pressed against her mind. It promised a painless death.

Irene ignored it. The cold, the clawing sensation within her own mind, the voices that spoke of many promises and memories of many years ago. It was but an illusion, a mask crafted by her own mind and worn through some demonic and corrupted force by the creature.

The familiar words retreated and something else was heard instead. Voices that she did not recognize that spoke in a language that she could not understand. But those voices bore the same smooth sound, the words, even if panicked, a melody of terror. And then there was a…crackling? As if a great fire was nearby. In the corner of her vision she could see a change in the figure – no longer was it an old and frail man but rather a roaring fire.

She almost looked at it, almost, driven into a daze by the cries in the Elven tongue and the brightness of the flames.

As sudden as the change in the bogge’s form, the words cried out through the flames made sense, given meaning through the foul magics.

‘You were away, Caranthir, you were away.’

Caranthir. Was that the elf’s name? It was hard to tell. It was hard to understand. The word might have been Elven and her mind, weakened by the pain in her shoulder, the cold scraping of the monster’s claws and the fear that crawled into every thought, could not grasp the language not meant for mortal ears.

But then the elf spoke, his words pulling her back into reality with what may have been some incantation for all she could have guessed. Looking up she noticed that he had been standing under the rain, drenched to the bone, with an arrow aimed at the bog. He was staring right at it.

Fool! What was he doing? Did he not understand her warnings? Was he so blinded by his own ego that listening to a human was below him?

On the snow the bogge turned towards the elf, drawn to the sound of the man’s boot shifting against the ground.

Despite the cold and fear that wrapped around the woman, drawn close to her by the pain of the wound and the guilt that followed after hearing the words that she wished to forget, Irene forced her hands to move. Her wrists struggled against the bond of the rope as she twisted her right arm. The rope bit into her flesh but she did not feel it. The skin was raw but she did not care. The numbing cold had made all feeling disappear; she could barely feel the pressure of the knife against her fingers.

The Fool continued to stare at the monster before him. From beneath his hood she could not see his eyes, only the wet glistening of his pale cheekbones. He was an elf. A member of the people so attuned to nature that they still prayed to the spirits of the forest and used magic so raw and pure in its form that human legends spoke fearfully of it. He could have been driven into a daze by the bogge, who was a spirit so corrupted by anger and death that its essence had been changed to its very core.

There were still a few hours towards Sirdca. She could reach it even through the darkness of the forest if they got separated or if the elf died from the encounter of the bogge.

But he gave her his word that he would take out the arrow. He had the chance to get the information out of her through torture, if needed. He could have left her to die in the forest after hearing where Richmond had gone. Even now, he could have fooled the bogge into attacking a human while he himself would run or hide until the monster was done feasting on the mortal.

A patronising prick or not, no one deserved to die from the hands of the bogge and this elf, this Fool, was on the road to such a fate.

The arrow was aimed at the figure that appeared once again to be the old man. Once again there was a change, the shadowy mirage turning and twisting until once again the man was young and strong. He stared at the elf from beneath heavy black brows, his jaw set and lips thin. There was hunger in those black eyes, hunger for the living creatures so close to it.

Sharp blade of the knife cut into the rope behind her. She felt the restraints loosen around her wrists. It was impossible to tell how much pressure was applied to the rope, she could not feel it, could not tell if her wrists were in pain from struggling to keep the blade angled. It felt like an eternity until the bindings loosened completely and she could move her arms once again. Slowly, as if moving through thick water, Irene raised her right hand that still clutched the knife and pressed it against her knee for support.

Two steps. That was the distance between them. All she had to do was catch the elf’s attention, make him look at her instead of the creature.

Claws continued to push against her mind, more intently now, driven feral by hunger. And then it all stopped. Stopped as the arrow sunk deep into the brow of the purple-clad man.

And just as the arrow found its mark Irene forgot to breathe. Illusion or not, the voice felt real. The appearance of the man so real that but for those hunger driven eyes it would have been a seamless mirage.

Feeling returned to her limbs, the unnatural cold gone and along with it the numbness. The knife was still clutched in her hand, her body positioned in a crouch turned towards the elf. The rope lay behind her, cut at the knot.

With the creature gone there was still memory of it left, an aftertaste of immense fear and hatred. The memory of his voice was so vivid in the woman’ mind that the colour still had not returned to her cheeks and her breath was uneven and shallow. It did not even occur to her that she was armed with a knife, turned to her captor in a position that implied an attack.

Irene leaned back until her right shoulder met the rock, narrowly missing the boulder with the fletching of the arrow. The injury on her back was no longer a dull ache. Instead it was a fiery pain.

She took shallow breaths, struggling to regain warmth and feeling in her body.

At her side the elf spoke once again in Elven. A calm phrase that could have meant anything from an insult thrown at the now dead creature to some prayer uttered by his people. It mattered little either way. She ought to have snapped at him, reprimanded him for attacking a creature that could have killed the two of them in a most painful way, revelling in the agony of its victims. But it would have turned out to be another argument one for which she had neither the energy nor the state of mind.

Instead, Irene whispered words that the elf surely did not expect to hear from her. “Thank you.”

She leaned forward once again, knelt on the ground and raised her right hand to brace against the boulder behind her for support as she pushed herself off the damp moss. The hunting knife was still held in her right hand, her fingers stiff from the amount of pressure put against the leather hilt.

“You should have let it pass. It would have left.” She raised her left arm with some effort and ran her fingers through her hair. The gesture was calming. “How did you kill it?”

The smell of burning trees, singed flesh and grass alight still lingered around me. My breath was shallow, lips pursed as I stared out intently at the arrow lying innocently on the ground.

Rain and the fresh scent of more on the horizon cleared the death and terror from around me.

I was once again alone in the forest. A tainted arrow between me and a running river, that which in all rights should have kept such a vile thing well away from this place. But we gave it pass, we gave it allowance to tread here...

I was not alone, was I?

Slowly I turned my head. I had seen some of the girl's vision and surely she had seen mine. Did that bother me? To some extent, as much as anyone detested having a deep secret extracted and laid forth for all to see. As it was the creature had snatched forth that which was closest to my mind.

One last time I heard their screams, their cries. The fire flickered in dark shadows in my mind and somewhere I felt the final, dying pull as claws released their grasp.

There she stood. Hands free, a knife in one, braced and staring at me for all the world like a cornered wild cat preparing to attack or to flee.

But something in me was tired, now. Drawn out from the emotional vortex these creatures were. I felt hollow and deathly, my face long and gaunt, shadows falling harsh along sunken cheeks now that light had returned to the world.

I raised my hand - slowly - to reach back and lower my hood. I felt nothing should be in the way of me and the elements, now. Though my face was dripping with water my hair now became soaked under the torrential rains and I watched her, unblinking as beads of water formed on my lashes, bow still in hand.

Time seemed frozen between us now, if only for a moment. The river flowed, the rain fell, but I locked my gaze on hers, tired and unmoving.

Thank you.

It was faint beneath the rains but the words were clear. I tilted my head an inch, confused at first but the meaning came slow. Still, it came. In that moment time was once again unlocked and I fell my eyes to the blade in her hand.

Should she have wished to kill me, that would have been the time.

Words to chastise came next but I was largely deafened to them. I moved slowly but with grace away from her to the site where the creature had fallen. Where the arrow sat, stinking of fear and evil and death, lying innocently in the sands.

Carefully I wrapped my hand around it, expecting nothing but instead of the usual warmth I felt from wood, it was cold. Like ice. It chilled my bones, an unreal itch crawling up my arm like a thousand ants.

Water cleased.

My sigh was silent but ignoring her I walked tiredly to the stream and knelt, dabbing my finger in the soil that still graced the tip before submerging the arrow.

"Clean."

Elven magic or the workings of the world, the cold left me then. Washed away in the stream the wood was once again untainted and growing friendly beneath my fingers.

When I stood and turned around again, the arrow slid back into my quiver and I approached the girl. The rains had begun to calm now although they still fell and thunder rattled no longer overhead, but a short distance to the east.

The world was grey and bleak, and so was I.

"Should I have let it pass, it would have remained haunting these forests."

My voice was hoarse and hollow, without tone or inflection for the moment.

"The idea you can simply flee from creatures as that is abhorrent and childish. It would surely have left, perhaps with one of us staining its claw, but it would not be gone."

A familiar disgust welled in my chest but I quelled it with a glance around. Green pines, dark brown trees, bark wetted and slick. Another breath taken in was of fresh air and a natural coolness that I needed.

"How I killed it was of no matter. It is dead."

The bow in my hand was a mild comfort but one that did no good. I sheathed it, taking out my hunting knife once again instead. The leather hilt felt awkward in my hand now chilled only from the night's cold.

She had gotten free, indeed. It concerned me of course. But for the moment there were other things to worry about.

"I need to remove your arrow."

I could sense that darkness it had left, cold and clawing. Somewhere in the back of my mind I saw black wisps forming around it, twisting and turning around the shaft, crawling like mist over her shoulder. When I blinked, it was gone.

"Pain and suffering will only bring it back. Things like this do not stay dead for long, and dead is too strong a word anyhow. If it never lived, it cannot die."

What of the malthelas? What of my people? What of my guide, my one trail to this city other than a compass direction, the one who knew I was coming and could warn others of me?

Right now, it did not matter.

Raising my hands, the knife visible and glinting off the soft available light in my right, I began to approach.

Sometimes even elves had to think in the short term. The rest could be dealt with later.

Once again that face was exposed. With his hood up, hiding the face that could not have belonged to a human, it was easy to forget who was traveling with her. But he reached up and pulled it down, exposing the handsome features. His hair drenched, his skin glistening with droplets that had slid down his cheeks and forehead. From beneath the wetted lashes and heavy brows the man stared at Irene. Those green eyes focused on her, dark and tired.

Their eyes met and she felt the time stop between them. All she could feel was his eyes on her, watching intently, as if waiting for something. The knife in her hand suddenly felt very heavy.

And then he turned away. Irene watched the elf come closer to the arrow and then dip it into the water of the nearby stream after muttering another word in his native tongue.

Elven magic. The bogge and its corruption. Too much magic for one day. She turned her gaze away and ignored the odd ritual conducted by the elf at the stream.

In the meantime, she straightened but still leaned against the boulder with her hand. It was hard to stand, hard to move, her body still recovering from the corrupted essence of the bogge. Her mind felt even worse. It felt akin to being laid bare for all the world to see, to be stripped of all defences. Whatever the elf had seen, if he had seen anything, he would not understand. His fear was…as vague as her own. It could have been fire. It could have been guilt of leaving his people alone. It could have been fear of being accused of leaving his post. It could have been anything.

And Irene understood what it meant to keep some things private and locked away. So she would never ask, not unless the elf himself wished to talk about what happened.

Above the sky turned lighter, the rain a soft pat against the forest floor.

The elf had finished his doings by the stream and turned towards her. Irene had positioned herself by the boulder, leading against it with her side, just under the cover of the pine branch. The tip of her head grazed the branch when she tried to straighten at the sight of the elf approaching. Silver droplets of water slid down her ashy brown hair.

“I do not have the ability to kill it. Few have.” It was the truth. Irene herself had met only one person who killed a bogge once. Well, two people now, with the elf. “You said it yourself – only a fool seeks out battle. Many try to fight this creature. All die.”

Again the difference between the two of them was apparent. He had killed the bogge, he never intended to flee from it. Irene would have waited it out, would have bit her tongue and even invoked the Maker to make the monster pass without noticing her. She was but a human. No magical soil around her neck to shoot at the monsters lurking in the forests.

And yet, she was prepared to take action in order to save the elf from the bogge.

She did not inquire about the words told to the creature before it met its end. Neither did she accuse the elf of taking an unnecessary risk because of a foolish idea to not let a monster such as the bogge to continue prowling these forests. It did not matter. He would not listen to her, anyway. Chances were, he would accuse the humans of being fearful and violent creatures and then add some comment or another that morals should come into play. As if that would give a human the ability to kill monsters lurking in the shadows.

A blade gleamed in the man’s hands and Irene felt her shoulders tense as a response, her knees bend and feet moving over the ground into a defensive stance. The grip on her own knife adjusted.

“I need to remove your arrow.”

These words sent a cool chill down her spine and her eyes widened if only for a moment. The encounter with the bog changed something between them, it seemed. Trust had taken root. Now it was her chance to either stomp it into the ground or let it bloom.

So Irene took a step towards the elf and turned the knife in her hand to hold it by the blade, the hilt facing the man. She left the knife between them on the flat top of the boulder.

“Alright.” She said and stepped back.

That was the last of her defence. No more blades hidden on her person, no more weapons, nothing but her own ability to fight.

She moved her hand towards the leather belt on her waist and her fingers, still slightly shaking from the encounter with the bogge, fumbled with the buckle. Irene turned with her back to the elf and sat down on the ground, legs crossed under her. The belt was removed and she let it fall on the ground by her right knee. Moments after the coat was opened and she tugged the thick fabric to pull it over the arrow.

Under the coat was a short sleeved shirt of a lighter purple, now stained at the back with both old and fresh blood. There was no broidery on this shirt, it was plain and only had a wide white cotton collar. Once the coat fell on the ground behind her Irene raised her right hand towards the collar of the shirt and held it close to her neck. A habit.

Her braid trailed down her back, its end damp and covered in some spots with the mud from the main road where she had fallen. It was pulled over her right shoulder.

“After you remove it we must go. Sirdca is not far. We can ask for shelter there.” She said and relaxed her shoulders. “Unless you’d rather sleep on a tree.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back