• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

At the Adventurers' Table: Chapter Eighteen

Status
Not open for further replies.
As soon as everyone goes to do their own thing - right now, most are still gathered to do the planning, so I don't want to leave yet.
Yeah. And speaking of planning... (going to post a game now that I know what I'm doing again). =)

The player does not remember the details of how we were able to talk with Oscar, but it hasn't been as long for Luna to try and remember. Wasn't it some sort of crystal? Perhaps a mirror? I'm not sure, and I'm getting ready to start my shift at work or else I'd look back at past chapters.

I have time. ^33^
Duchess Bellcastle nods, reaches into her pack and produces a beauteous sphere of crystalline majesty, one that sparkles like a second sun in the afternoon. "This... is the crystal ball given to me by Grand Vizier Randall Flagg whom some of you have made acquaintance of," Oscar looks to some of you but twice to Rainshadow with a wink. "Keep it safely inside the Wayward Wagon where all of you can access it, perhaps in the study. With it, you may use it to contact me or one of my staff who will know where I am. Do this when you have need of my wisdom, my ability to train you, or..." he adds with a soft sigh and smile, "...if you simply desire to chat with an old dreamer who wishes he could continue along with you in your adventurous journeys!"

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus jaydude jaydude Kaerri Kaerri Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood Silanon Silanon

For the sake of game progress, I'm going to place all of the Wayward Wanderers plus Alisa and Aldrin in the Grand Pool. I will say that Luna found Oscar's Crystal Ball (since the study is indeed the right place to look) and returned to the Grand Pool with it. Auri, Bria's huge, round, and turtle-like master is present in the Grand Pool along with the Kobolds of the Silver Sun (sans the handful helping in the kitchen).

Hope this is all right with folks? =)

Sherwood Sherwood

Hey there! This scene belongs to Luna but if you're too busy to post, let me know?

Getting over a migraine that laid me up for a couple of days. Give me a little bit and I'll have a post for Luna up.

I would have to say that Luna knows how to activate the orb with her level of arcane knowledge. She has a 19- roll.

I would have to say that Luna knows how to activate the orb with her level of arcane knowledge. She has a 19- roll.
Sherwood Sherwood Forgive me, but as your Dungeon Master, I would have to say, "hold your horses. There is more to it than that, isn't there?" The quoted statement implies she hardly need roll the dice. I disagree. The short version? The 2nd Edition Arcana Skill doesn't quite work that way. She may even have to use her magic.

Let's learn a little together, shall we?

This a Crystal Ball that Luna has never worked with before. Luna has a great deal of book knowledge but (at least as far back as I can remember) very little hands-on experience with new magical items. This is yet another reason your party could use some dungeon-time. =) One big thing in Luna's favor is that this is a Crystal Ball, an item of Arcane nature (as opposed to Divine, Nature, or Occultism). Had it been a Divining Pool or something else from outside the Arcane, hers would be a greater challenge.

From Shop Talk, since we moved over from Pathfinder 1.0 Skills to 2.0, we are now using the Arcana Skill from the latter. From the 2nd Edition Pathfinder book, which Trained Arcana Action do you think Luna needs here?

If you selected Identify Magic, you are correct! I call this the way to go because I have no recollection of Luna activating Oscar's Crystal Ball before we switched over to Pathfinder 2.0 Skills. According to the Arcana Skill and the Identify Magic Action, the first thing Luna has to do is spend 10 minutes of uninterrupted time studying the crystal ball. Also, remember - not only is this not a typical crystal ball, this is a unique item - Oscar's Crystal Ball. Depending on the nature of this item, it might be easier to use (for a non-magic-user like Oscar and also keep in mind that it was provided to the Wayward Wanderers to be used for this very purpose) or it may be far more difficult to use (for, say, one of your enemies who somehow gets a hold of it. Perhaps it has a password? Since Luna has never activated it, I don't believe she knows. Again, as far as my memory tells me; if you can find where she activated the ball when we went to Pathfinder 2.0 Skills, I will gladly sit corrected).

So what are her options besides the Identify Magic Action?

Here's where Luna requires no roll whatsoever. She knows she could also Cast her Detect Magic Cantrip to help her figure things out. However, I just peeked; she does not appear to have the Identify Spell in her trusty spellbook (remember, we are still using 1st Edition Pathfinder magic).

TL ; DR version? Luna the Wizardess cannot just sit down and start using the ball as she has Declared in-game. Because she has never activated this unique crystal ball before (since we moved to Pathfinder 2.0, before she does anything, she has to study Oscar's Crystal Ball for 10 minutes, perhaps with a Detect Magic Cantrip to aid or without if she likes that challenge. The choice is hers. Failure means she'll have to try again tomorrow. Success means she won't have to wait 10 minutes after she gets to know the crystal ball's ways. =)

Sorry for jumping ahead there. We had used the orb before, so I thought I was good. Let me rewind and cast the Detect Magic spell and study it for a bit.

No worries! We really haven't used a lot of Skills since we switched over. =)

Definitely. As it reads now, Luna is just plopping down and flipping it on like a smartphone. Not an accurate portrayal of what she is doing in the scene, right? =)

Sherwood Sherwood It does not need to be a lengthy post - I recommend adding the idea that she is studying (for 10 minutes and must not be interrupted!). If she is casting, please express that too. =)

Sherwood Sherwood I just realized something and I need a simple d20 roll made for Luna. She is attempting to study, for 10 minutes minimum. She happens to be in the Grand Pool... along with her whole party (Powerpaw alone can be a distraction) and dozens of kobolds simply being kobolds. This means all kinds of conversations and movements and sounds are happening just by way of living people nearby. Were she in the study, I would require no "Concentration check" if you like the Pathfinder 1st Edition term. But here? Under these circumstances? It's a different story.

Before I roll, is there anything you would like to bring up or share with me that you think would improve Luna's odds?

One more little side note you might find amusing. Luna's father can't stand being interrupted while studying a new magic item; a thing his entire family is well aware of. =)

Lol I understand. I'll go ahead and add to my IC post.

O.K.. I look forward to seeing what you have Luna doing. =)

I almost had her have a hissy cow, but she is more composed than that.

Luna tries to focus, she really does. But after being jostled by kobolds and answering Powerpaw's repeated questions of, 'Are you done yet, Luna-face?' The frustrated mage closes her eyes and calmly says, "Everyone,i I don't mean to be rude, but I simply cannot study the proper use of this complex item in this chaos. If you will excuse me, I will delve into this in the quiet of my room and return when I'm done."

With that, she stands and sweeps her way out of the pool room to do her studying.

Sherwood Sherwood Thanks for the edit, but I would seriously like one important change, please. Please don't play my NPCs for me.

Powerpaw isn't doing any such thing; in my head, he's still trying to get a rise out of his mom for having stuffed an entire roast turkey down his gullet, little kid-hearted guy that he is. Nor are the kobolds jostling Luna. She is among the party that just rescued them so they hold her in great respect. They are former slaves; the last thing they are going to do is go anywhere near someone they feel can atomize them on a whim (remember, kobolds are used to dealing with evil, not good) Plus, the Grand Pool is absolutely huge; there is plenty of room. So why jostle? Above all, the more other people play my characters, the more distracted I tend to get for a number of reasons. No harm, no foul. Just please edit. =)

Total side note that is only slightly related to this: In our Exalted game, a few of our Players there appear to be in the habit of informing the rest of us (Storyteller included) on what happens to the Storyteller's NPCs. Now, it's Psychie's game and she seems comfortable with it, but it is far from my cup of tea. Mainly because it reminds me of past White Wolf tabletop games where the Players would sometimes inform the Storyteller the results of their die rolls so far as to take the Storyteller out of the story. Now, that's not happening in our Exalted game, but you won't see me doing it unless our Storyteller requests it (say, because it saves her time or some such).

I honestly enjoy seeing what GMs and Storytellers do with their characters. I especially enjoy Silanon's Pathfinder world because his characters really feel indepth and more "real" to me. They seem like people. The last thing I'm going to do is interfere with any such process. =)

Oh. One more thing. Luna retiring to the study effectively solves her studying problem very neatly! 8D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back