[Astrum: Heavens] [E-6] [Highdarklord] E602B

As Vatoot addressed Frodebos, the Stratiarch approached the Commander and inspected some of the rifle's parts with great interest. "Peace, ain't'a exactly what'a me's'a would'a be callin' it. A period'a without'a conflict's, perhaps, but not'a peace." "All'a the more reasons to'a be listenin' to da'Vatoot, Frodebos." The Stratiarch said and laid down the rifle's magazine, then turning to a guard in the corner of the hall and whistling, motioning for him to approach. With haste, the guard made his way to the Stratiarch and stood in attention, "You's'a be readyin' ya' weapon, guardsman!" The Stratiarch commanded and in a second, the guard pulled out a primitive rifle from a holster on his back and held it upright, with both of his hands. "This'a bein' we's'a folkses' current a'cycle, anti-folk longshot, second make." He motioned towards the weapon whilst introducing it- The design resembled that of early infantry rifles back on Bed, however the flintlock action mechanism, was replaced by something more akin to revolvers. "It ain't'a bein' as'a fancy as ya's ah.. "raiffel"? Me's'a be givin' ya' that, but it ain't'a too bad, yeah?" The Stratiarch carefully grasped the rifle and showed off the various components, as he was describing them, "Is'a bein' a'shoulder fired, much'a like ya's, but'a be havin' da'capacity for a'nine.. uh, rounds as'a ya's called 'em.." He opened the revolving cylinder to show it's function, then closed it, "With'a one always'a bein' in da'barrel, it'a can be reloadin' in'a quick succession, see? - An average'a fighter is a'bein' capable of'a hittin' a target at up to five'a hundreds or so legfulls. But'a we's'a best longshooters, have'a been known to be hittin' as'a far as eight hundred legfulls." He returned the rifle to the guard and with one swift wave, dismissed him. The Stratiarch then returned to his throne, "Ya' be speakin' about'a be havin' peace, and me's'a can be respectin' that." He sat back down, "But ain't there ever'a be bein' peace, so long as them'a anti-progressives are'a be bein' in charge, of the other tribes."

Odimas sighed deeply and nodded his head, "I fear this is true." He said and looked at Vatoot, "One of the reasons we agreed to hear you, Vatoot, is not unrelated to the ongoing strife between Scimos' many tribes. In fact, we received word yesterday that the.. Barren Cove, Suntribe and Seasworn Tribe have been in talks of joining together, into a united Kingdom much like ours. You see, one of the reasons we've not yet had open war with the anti-progressive tribes, is their internal disagreements.. However, if they've found away to work together.. war, might be closer than we'd like to think."

Vatoot looked at the rifle, "This is similar in design to our oldest rifles, though this chambering system is slightly different. A quick-loader with the rounds pre-loaded into it would allow for this to reload faster... for long-range engagements, we have specially trained troops called snipers, just like your best marksmen. They're given special rifles and the best among them can hit a target from over two thousand meters with lethal precision, its really an art to watch them engage targets who can't even hear the crack of the bullet..." he shook his head, "This is unfortunate than Odimas... your people are easy to reason with, to show how things work..." he began to reassemble the rifle before tucking it away, "However, it would require a different kind of diplomacy to deal with them... I could talk to the Fleetmaster... we know little of these other tribes however, and you've dealt with them for a long time. Would showing them that they have no hope in battle convince them, showing them what they could gain from joining convince them, or would it require a total change of leadership within their tribes for this to be possible? These are all things we could do, could work on, to prevent an all out war. This is... so, oh so very similar to how the Bloody Century started for us... if we could prevent it here, spare your people that... horror..."

"I've met with the Chiefs of our rival tribes, on several occasions. They are stubborn to say the least and set in their ways, however, I do not believe they're without reason." Adibos cleared his throat and stood, "Were we's'a to be a'showin' they's folks, about'a all them advanced sciences, you's folkses be havin', an' that'a we's'a could'a be advancin' too, without'a abandonin' them olden wa-" The Stratiarch scowled at Adibos, "A waste of'a time! Even'a if we's'a could'a be a'convincin' they's'a Chiefs- Them Anti-Progressives would'a be still bein' against we's'a cause. Let's'a bein' facin' them facts! War is'a bein' inevitable!" Odimas frowned at the Stratiarch for speaking out of term, but after a moment sighed and nodded, motioning for Adibos to sit down, "He's right. There is a disease in our society, a group we call the 'Eidololes'. Extremist defenders of the old ways, with ancient origins.." Odimas looked at Adibos, who nodded, "As'a you's'a be knowin' Vatoot- We's'a folkses was'a comin' here to they's Promised Steppes, because of'a da'Abudados. However, there'a has been some'a evidence in da'ancient relics, found in'a they's Ithakva Wastes, that'a there's was another civilization'a on da'Scimos, many'a thousands'a years ago. They's was'a supposedly, them'a Eidololes, who's'a was'a lead by da'God-King 'Hazar' da'Cruel of they's 'Akheabylon' dynasty. We's'a ain't got no facts from such'a empire ever'a bein' real, but that'a ain't stopped they's Eidololes, from'a claimin' to be descendin' from'a da'ancient times, before Abudados."

Petoniañas gave the Commander a strangely meaningful glance.

"It was from these Eidololes, that the anti-progressive way of thinking, originated. It's not clear to us, what kind of manpower or resources, the Eidololes command.. Mai Lyra Petoniañas, has done all she can to discover more, but unfortunately the facts continue to elude us. It is likely, that even-" One of the doors of the throne room opened and a native in a trench coat entered- He bowed to the Council and to Vatoot, then with a hasty pace approached Odimas, handing him a sealed letter. As the apparent courier left, Odimas opened the letter, the content's of which seemed to greatly bother him- He closed his eyes and rubbed his forehead.

"What is it, mai Maistrat?" Frodebos finally dared ask, after a minute or so of silence. Odimas took a deep breath and handed Frodebos the letter, then looked at the others in the room, preparing to address them, "Early this morning, the Chiefs of Suntribe, Barren Cove and Seasworn Tribe- Signed a treaty of unification, joining their nations and armies together, into the Kingdom of the Great Lake." Frodebos' eye stalks tensed from shock, "It's'a be sayin' here's, that'a they's'a also be marchin' on da'Nordéios!" Odimas nodded, "No doubt to coerce them, into an alliance against us." He then turned to his right, "Bermudaros, you are to lead the 4th and 5th Legions to Khakos River. I trust you to hold the Crossing Fort, if it comes to that." The Stratiarch stood up and bowed to Odimas, "To me's'a last breaths, mai Maistrat. Me's'a would'a be requestin', you's'a also be'a grantin' me's da'cannons from Abudar." "Of course." Odimas said and nodded, as the Stratiarch stood and hurried out of the room.

Odimas now turned to Vatoot, "There are still many things, we'd need to discuss before I could commit the Promised Steppes, to an union with your people, Vatoot.. And, though you might offer it, I cannot ask you to fight our wars with us, or for us- However, I can ask you to help me secure peace, on Scimos, by the art of speech and negotiation, for I believe it would be in both our interests."

As the Stratiarch hurried by him, Vatoot pulled him close and quickly whispered in his ear, "If all seems lost, look to the sky and await the thunder without lightning, we will arrive on its wave."

"Odimas, while you can't ask us to fight this war for you, we will still provide assistance if you are willing. We have the ability to track the movements of their armies, and provide advance warning of their movement, numbers, and composition to your own forces. We can also provide a promise of soveriengty. If their forces appear prepared to cross your border or the border of the Nordeios, we can insure they never step foot across it, at least, not with their foot still attatched. With your permission, I would also like to see if the Fleetmaster would be willing to dispatch couriors to discourage their forces and strike forces to sever their supply trains, begin a war upon their minds that will break them before they ever even see battle. If we can break them before they ever fight your forces, many more hearths will be warm in the coming winter on both sides, and bad blood will be minimized much more than if they are allowed to carry forth battle."

"There is much we must do if we are to secure peace though Odimas, and you know their people far better than I do. If there is a way for us to create peace on Scimos, it will be by your lead and thanks to your guidance. Tell me what you would have us do, and we will carry it out. This is your world, they are your brothers and sisters across all of Scimos. Consider me and my people a tool in your arsenal of peace."

"With'a all da'respect, mai Maistrat, be listenin' to his'a words!" Frodebos exclaimed, sounding slightly flustered as he stood up, "He's'a be preachin' peace and'a friendship, and'a yet suddenly he's'a be willin' to's'a bein' killin' we's'a rivals, without'a second thought! Frankly, me's'a be findin' that disturbin'!" "And I find your constant questioning of my authority, disturbing." Odimas said and gave Frodebos an angered look, "Though.. on this, I agree with you." He said and looked at Vatoot, "You spoke of this.. "bloody century", as though it was a nightmarish era for your people, and that you would wish to prevent, such an event from occurring on Scimos, at all cost.. Yet, your sudden willingness to kill and terrorize our rivals, seems to speak the opposite. The other tribes, do not know of you, or your people- So what do you think would happen, if I allowed you to fight in our stead? To sabotage their resources? Ultimately, the people of the Promised Steppes, would be held responsible and in fact, the situation would have been worsened and.. "bad blood" spilt. Even if, you claimed all responsibility, we would be seen as culprits all the same."

Odimas took a deep breath and shook his head, "No. War, bloodshed.. sabotage.. none of these, will solve the issues and problems of our people- We cannot force our cause, on the other tribes, lest their denizens would only see us as conquerors and rise to rebellion, even if their Chiefs would accept our rule." Odimas scratched his chin, "Vatoot, I would ask you, to ready a presentation of the advanced concepts and sciences, adapted by your people." He stood up, "If we could show this.. united Kingdom, what marvels we could achieve, through peace and cooperation.. they might be convinced, to avoid war and instead, embrace diplomacy to solve the issues between our peoples."

"Frodebos, Odimas... I am a soldier first, not a diplomat or a politicion, not even a strategist. When there is war, my first thought as I have been trained to do, is to win it, and win it quickly and decisively, while minimizing bloodshed. We will do no more and no less than you permit us to do, for this is your land not ours. I would be happy to have a presentation prepared, though it may take a short time for us to get actual in person demonstrations of some of what we can achieve brought here. I can have a presentation over what I covered today and then some ready in a short time... I believe I also know how we can arrive wherever would be best to conduct this demonstration and give the presentation so as to maximize its effect. If you have any advice for what I should focus on the most Odimas, now would be the best time to inform me of what you would desire shown and focused upon."

"King'a Odimas, mai Maistrat, you's'a cannot'a bein' a'seriously be considerin' a'lettin' this.. this'a Chóvenabos'a to b-" Odimas turned to Frodebos and with a swift motion, swung his staff knocking the Magistrate onto the floor. "Enough!" He yelled, angrily but without losing control over his posture, "I won't have you use such a word, to insult our honored guest!" Frodebos quivered and lifted himself into a sitting position, looking at Odimas with a frightened look, "M-Me's'a be meanin' no harm, bu-" "Day by day, Frodebos, you test my patience! You question my orders and make nothing short of mockery, of my cause for peace and unification!"

Slowly, Frodebos stood up, "Be allowin' me's'a to be apologizin', mai Maistrat! Me's'a be just lookin' to be'a protectin', we's'a cultural heritage! And me's be'a fearin', that if-" Odimas took a deep breath, "Frodebos the Builder, I strip you of your position on this council and of your status, as Magistrate." Frodebos' face went from fear to anger, "Y-You's'a can'a not be doin' a'that!" "Mai Maistrat, perhaps'a this'a ain't'a bein' da'best'a times, yeah?" Adibos said and stood up, "You's'a cannot'a be bein' doin'a that! By'a we's'a laws, such'a decisions'a bein' up to da'council!" Odimas slammed his staff against the floor, "Then I'll dissolve the council and rewrite the law!" He yelled, now clearly starting to lose his temper. The other Council members stood up as well, clearly shocked. "Y-You's'a can'a not'a be serious, mai Maistrat! We's'a Kingdom done'a been founded on democracy-" Odimas turned to the Consul, "Democracy, is what got us into this mess. Indecisiveness, constant bickering and debate.. No more! We need unification! Leadership!" Odimas paused, to look at each of the councilors, he then took a deep breath, "Effective immediately, I dissolve this Tribal Council and the office of the Magistrate. All but Adibos and Vatoot, are dismissed."

With varied amounts of mumbled protest, each of the Councilors rushed out of the throne room, as well as the native keeping record. Once they were all gone, Odimas sighed in frustration and fell back onto his throne. "That could've gone better.." He said, as Adibos took a step forward, "Me's'a was'a bein' warnin' you's, that'a it wouldn't'a be easy." Odimas hemmed and nodded, "That you did, my friend." He turned to Vatoot, "I apologize you had to witness that bit of theater, Vatoot.. I've known this day would come, for a long time.." Odimas paused, "My Great Grandfather, built our Kingdom on the principles of democracy.. elections and polls, making decisions together.. but those were simpler times. When the sciences had yet to flourish and.." He smiled faintly, "There was still a chance, for peaceful coexistence."

Odimas stood back up and stepped down from his throne, "The problems of our people, are too numerous to solve with talking. The Eidololes, hold the other tribes firmly in their grasp, with many a soldiers, to support them! I fear, war, is my only choice.. But if you'll assist me, Vatoot, the war to come- Could be swift and painless... our, victory would be guaranteed. If you'll help me, I can forge a unified Empire over all of Scimos and finally.. there would.. be," He took a deep breath, "Peace."

Vatoot calmly watched the entire proceeding before speaking once the opportunity arised, "Like I said Odimas, I can insure your victory. However, if we can peacefully resolve the issues at hand with the other tribes, your people will be spared pain and suffering in the long term, even with a swift war. Perhaps, in addition to the peaceful benefits of what I can cover, I can show a sheer overwhelming show of force at the end of the presentation as a final measure. Show them a fraction of the force that backs you, to persuade them to peacefully join you..."

He paused for a moment, showing clear and deep thought, "On another note Odimas, Petoniañas shared a... message of sorts with me. I believe that what she told me would allow my fellows and I a chance to disrupt or at least severely undermine the Eidololes and their hold over the other tribes if we followed through on what she indicated. An Empire forged in blood is one that will have birthpains for many generations, especially with an organization such as the Eidololes existing. The Chiefdom has suffered from seven major rebellions and countless smaller ones, though finally none of the tribes have a majority voicing dissent with the idea of the Chiefdom. You would be remembered as a mix of conquerer and hero if you conquered the other tribes by force. But if you convince them of peace, you would be seen as a saviour for generations."

Before Vatoot could finish what he wanted to say regarding the peculiar message, he'd received- He was interrupted by Adibos, "If'a she's'a was a'be sharin' thoughts, with yous'a Vatoot- They's'a must'a be bein' held between yous and her. Heedin' or'a not be heedin' them'a thoughts, must'a be bein' you's'a decision, eh. Lest'a you's'a be disrespectin', dai Lyra."

Odimas nodded at Adibos, stroking his chin he then turned to Vatoot, "There will be no presentation, Vatoot. Only deception." He said, after thinking for a moment, "I've met with the other Chiefs, several dozens of times. I've endured their stubbornness, heard them reject the most reasonable of my proposals- Treaties, that would give them the upper hand in many ways, they've refused, all in the name of the "old ways". A dead and useless practice, that shuns the advancement of science and holds back our people as a whole!" He sighed and shook his head, with a hint of anger and remorse, "This, "presentation" I intend to host, will be my first strike. With or without you, Vatoot, none but those loyal to me, shall walk away from that meeting and it will signal the beginning, of a new era."

Vatoot nodded, "I understand Odimas, however, remember an Empire forged in blood is one full of birth pains, though perhaps the Chiefdom would be able to help ease those pains. Would you like me to arrange for a demonstration of my people's abilities to end people utterly? Death from behind, above, in front of them, all around? Announce our presence with a show of shock, awe, and doom? Perhaps you prefer we go for a more... psychological strike. Instill a fear in them as deeply as we can to make them more afraid of you and the," He paused, thinking for a moment, "The True Ways, than they are of the Eidololes. They are your enemies and threaten peaceful, neutral forces in this war, and we would be happy to deal with those that threaten you." He paused for a moment, thinking on the Seer's words, "Odimas, I would also like to arrange for some of my people to supplement your personal guard. There may be weaknesses within your own following here who would see the Old Ways re-instated, or simply you destroyed."

Odimas looked at Vatoot, then slanted his eye stalks towards the floor, deep in thought. After a moment, his eye stalks bent up a little and he hemmed, "No, though.. a 'psychological strike' as you called it, is exactly what I hope to achieve, by killing the other Chiefs in a single blow." Adibos let out a brief and faint chuckle, "Victory by they's'a folkses, eh? Ladamabos da'Vanquisher, was'a be winnin' the battle of'a da'Lower Khakos in 513, by'a that a'tactic." Odimas grinned and nodded, turning to Adibos for a moment, "As you always say, my friend; 'We can learn more from our past, than a hundred scholars of tomorrow, could ever teach us'." He turned back to Vatoot, "I shan't bore you with the details, of our history Vatoot.. However by defeating the leaders of our enemy, before the war even begins, we will not only instill fear to the denizens of the other tribes- But also doubt, towards their own cause and as my people have learned in the past, dissent can be a powerful ally, during times of war."

He took a deep breath, "As for supplementing my personal guard... While normally, your suggestion would be viewed as offensive.. I fear you may be correct. Though disbanding the Tribal Council was necessary, many will not approve." He glanced at Adibos, "In fact, I reckon a certain ex-magistrate, is already gathering his allies for a public protest and attempting to.. sow mistrust within the city, by spreading lies and rumors about you and our meeting here today."

Vatoot nodded in understanding, "A tactic well suited to a people like yours I'm sure. We will of course have to make sure a member of their guard survives to tell the tale among their people of how effortlessly their chief were slain, though... it would be very easy for my people to make a full visual capturing of the incident, what we call a video, that will capture the entire moment exactly as it occurs. We could than find a way to arrange for it to be projected over their towns and villages. We have the technology to do that, rendering it in a perfect image to show their entire population."

"It would be... very doable for my people to arrange for said ex-magistrate to be run over by a carriage or perhaps trampled by something. We don't have any influence with your people to slander him, and I doubt you want him eliminated in the streets... he he does create a problem, my people are prepared to do a particullary effective show of our capabilities, by performing a fly over..." he thought for a moment to himself, "However we could begin getting technology and knowledge from my people to yours, so your scholars and farmers and builders can begin making use of it. Also, we could begin helping your own scientists in their current expirements. My two companions left this morning to meet with Torabadabos and examine what he's been doing, and perhaps help him perfect it with the knowledge my people have."

"While you've asked my people not to fight the war for you, we want to make sure you will have the tools needed to win decisively... communication, scouting, supplies, logistics... my people would be happy and willing to help with the non-front line procedures, and of course, we'd be happy to act as an additional mode of transport, diplomatic pressure, and in moments of desperation, auxillary forces."

"I suppose at this time, it would be wise for me to let you know Adibos and Odimas, that my people have knowledge of flight, and weapons that can reach across entire continents and worlds to destroy armies and entire cities... but I most certainly want to help improve your infrastructure as a first step before the fighting even begins."

"How dare you, Vatoot? Such rash actions, against a former member of my cabinet-" He very obviously nodded his head, indicative of approval, "-is something I would never propose or sanction!" Odimas hemmed, and looked at Adibos, "I seek not to.. destroy the cities of our enemies. To attack peasants in such a manner, is considered dishonorable in our culture, most are offended even by the thought of it. However, if we were to strike against their armies from the heavens.. fear of such power alone, would break their will and send them fleeing!" He slammed his left fist, against the palm of his right hand.

"As'a for'a theys sciences, me's'a can'a be arrangin' them scholarly community, to be'a contacting you's'a Vatoot.. for da'organizin' of'a them distributions and'a trainin' of we's'a folks, with you's'a.. ah, "raiffels" and'a other sciences, yeah? If'a you's'a be willin'a to be'a partin' and'a supplyin', we's'a warriors." "What of this, Torabadabos? How much do you know about him, Adibos?"

Adibos scratched his head and sighed, "He's'a be bein' a difficult'a case. He's'a always been'a fascinated by'a them sciences, but'a rejected da'trainin' of we's'a scholars.. he's'a ideas ain't'a be bein' bad, or nothin'.. however'a he's'a methods'a be.. eccentric, at'a best.. though we's'a scholarly community, has'a been makin'a mockery of'a da'Torabadabos, for'a he's'a ideas that'a all'a they's being's'a in'a dis'world, be'a built from'a tiny an' invisible blocks'a.. and'a recently, for'a he's'a experiments'a with da'Blu'da engines, that'a was'a be causin' some damages.. me's'a wouldn't'a be payin' too much a'attention to him, eh."

Vatoot kept a straight face when Odimas spoke, but nodded back at him in understanding, "Of course, I was foolish to propose such a thing. That would be an unethical way to deal with ex-cabinet members."

"Striking armies from the sky is very doable. The cannons your people have I'm sure are long range, but with the communications systems my people will supply yours with, they will be able to call in strikes from our own weapons much farther away, and quite possibly with greater accuracy, against your foes in the field. After of course, your people warn them of the new powers that the True Path has given you."

"Tiny invisible blocks... sounds like... our scientific theories on atoms. Torabadabos may actually be much farther ahead in scientific ideas than you think, though my people's scientists will of course examine what he's proposing in theories to make sure he isn't simply crazy... many of our greatest scientific ideas were discovered by people shunning the traditional way of research and study."

"Once we are done here and have a plan of action ready, I will contact my commander and he will arrange for scientists, trainers, and supplies to begin arriving immeiditly, though it will take a few days before the bulk of it starts to arrive. We will be able to begin training your people in our communication system and some of our weapons. Most of the scientists we have with us nearby are of the military type, the main bulk to arrive after us will be more of the civilian science and research style."

Adibos seemed intrigued at Vatoot's mention of atoms, but didn't have a chance to ask before Odimas knocked the floor with his staff and hemmed with a satisfied grin on his face, "It is agreed, then!" He exclaimed, glancing at Vatoot and Adibos in turn, "May the newfound friendship between our peoples, put a swift end to this infernal conflict that has plagued our land, for so many generations- So that all Scimosii, might follow the.. 'True Path', to advancement and prosperity!"

With that confident premonition, Odimas dismissed the both of them, ordering Adibos to assist as liaison between Vatoot's people and their counterparts on the Surface.

For the moment his mission was finished, at least in the "Promised Steppes" and after meeting up with the rest of his team, they set out to the agreed upon landing coordinates, for pickup.

Vatoot nodded, "That is certainly the hope Odimas."

As they traveled to the agreed upon landing coordinates, Vatoot radioed up to the other drop ships that were waiting with reinforcements to meet them at the agreed upon point. "One of the ships needs to outfit in more civilian esque clothes. We have a Class Alpha removal that is required of a former cabinet member. It has to be done tonight before he conducts his own Class Alpha removal of the current friendly ruler. The Removal team will be 1st Squad. Second Squad, you are tasked with supplementing the King's personal security in a reactive manner for the time being. You will also be the main liason coordination team within the capital. Third squad, you are the Quick Reaction Force for the other squads and will stay with the shuttles, bail them out if they need assistance."

He then radioed up to Mundundi, "Fleetmaster, we have successfully formed an alliance with the people of the Promised Steps. They have requested that we provide logistical and defensive assistance against their foes, while also assisting in a Class Alpha removal of the leadership of their rival tribes that are currently advancing to attack. They have requested especially long-range communication support and weapons training on more advanced weapons. I figure we should have enough spare weapons in the fleet right now to train a special operations unit to work alongside our own guys."

"More importantly, they have agreed to a cultural, scientific, and merchantile exchange, and I recommend that this be passed along to Bed as fast as possible. We have an opportunity to trade with a new world, a new people. Ideas, history, goods... of it is possible here."

As they walked, Vatoot questioned his fellows upon their discoveries, "Gentlemen, tell me what you discovered about Torabadabos and his knowledge and theories and expirements. I suspect he may have more advanced theories than his fellows would agree with at this point in time."

===========================

Aboard the Mundundi, the Fleetmaster wasn't perfectly pleased about providing weapons to their newest ally, but a deal had been struck for a potential joining of peoples down the line, and so it must be honored, at least for now. "Prepare one hundred weapons and associated ammo for transport down to the surface to begin training a small force. Also send sufficient communication devices for them to communicate short range and a few for longer range communications. Send along with it a company of soldiers to assist with the training on our weapons and communication devices."

"Now, send news back to Bed. We have made contact with a friendly people, who are open to trading goods, culture, and are open to being trained on better technology to increase their yields and consistancy with agriculture and engineering. Civilian field technology is authorized for trade, but any weapons are strictly forbidded."

Karakt and the Private looked at one another for a moment, "He was, certainly very.." "..eccentric." "I had another word in mind, but that works. He is definitely intelligent but not very, 'wise', combined with a rather short attention span. He definitely had some interesting theories yes, but most well beyond the grasp of a medieval society such as this. Besides, Torabadabos seemed more interested in doing tests and experiments, without worrying about the consequences and completely seemed to lack any respect, for science." The Private nodded, "A very dangerous combination, as indicated by the fact that he lives alone, in a somewhat isolated part of the city.. Most of his neighbors having relocated, in fear of his.. "experiments". From what we could gather, this Torabadabos has caused more than a fair share of injuries to bystanders and is only allowed to continue his work, due to a relative on the King's high council."

"I see... we should make a note that he might be well suited for a relocation job within our own scientific society, considering that the high council was just dissolved during my meeting with the King... however, we have more pressing matters than securing one scientist. Our team's objective, with the security squads being put in place and the traitor soon to be eliminated, is to seek out the Eastern Kingdom of Ithakva, on the far side of the continenant from here. However, before we can do that, we have the issue of suppressing the worst of this war that is emerging. The fleet should have most of the forces I requested from them prepared to meet us. Hopefully we can make this swift. We are going to be conducting a Class Alpha removal of the highest leadership from the other tribes... which I should probably note, have all recently merged into a single massive tribe, and further complicating matters they have begun their march to the warpath against our friends here and their own allies."

The Major's eye-stalks tensed up from surprise, "So while we were doing boring old recon, you were off inciting a coup! You higher-ups always get to hog all the fun... sir." He chuckled, as they spoke they could feel the kick as the dropship that'd come for pickup, took off from the ground, "Class Alpha, eh? I hope it doesn't get too bloody- I'm sure more than a few people hadn't hoped for our, space exploration career, to kick off with an all-out war, on an alien planet."

The pilot turned towards the rear compartment, "Commander, the Mundundi says our liaison has touched down and distribution is underway. They're estimating the Class A, to take place within a week's time. We've got clearance to delay our return, if you want to go check out that Eastern Kingdom, or whatever." Before Vatoot could answer, the pilot turned to Karakt, "Major, they're transmitting some data onto your portable."

Karakt hemmed and nodded, digging out his portable device, as he started to go through whatever had been transmitted.

"The glory is in the details Major, when more lives are saved and the peace is upheld with their deaths, we can make sure history remembers us as unspoken heroes who expanded the Chiefdom and held the peace on another planet... though, I'm more concerned about the backlash from the non-interferance folks we're bound to encounter back on Bed..."

He thought for a second, "Pilot, take us to the Eastern Kingdom, its on the far coast across the various kingdoms below us. Message the fleet, have another dropship meet us there with a ready squad of Dormientibus, I've heard only bad things about the natives of this kingdom, and would prefer to have a team ready to meet us... also, make sure to have the security teams maintain an extra heightened series of layered security around the King until the former councilmember is removed."

The flight took them a while, but eventually they got there and were joined by another dropship- However, as they flew through the air, below them there was no sign of any Kingdom, no towns of hovels, only red sand and rock, as far as their eyes could see. "Are you sure it was East and not West?" Karakt said, all the while fiddling with his portable device, "I mean there's not muc-" At that moment, his device beeped and shortly after, the dropship stopped like it'd hit a wall. The aircraft shook and trembled, it's hull groaning and then, it fell down onto the ground.

Something seemed to slow down the dropship, though it did hit the ground with some force, but not enough to break it apart. "What just happened!?" The Private yelled, at the same time everything inside the dropship seemed to shut down- From the aircraft's systems, to Mriet's computer. "(IN TROuble) Intro, Intro, Intro- Mundundi do you copy?" The pilot said repeatedly into his microphone, all the while frantically flipping switches and pushing buttons. He eventually gave up and unbuckled himself, "She's dead as a stone, sir." He said, then walked through the back compartment and opened the door, hopping outside.

As the others followed, they found themselves quite literally, in the middle of nowhere: Nothing but sand and dust surrounded them in all directions, reaching beyond the horizon and then some. The sun was high and dead center in the sky. As the pilot popped open one of the maintenance panels in the side of the dropship, the Private swallowed, "Um.. where's, uh.. Where's the other ship?" He was right, there was no sign of the other aircraft, as if it'd vanished into thin air.

The Major took a deep breath and dug out his communicator, but lo and behold, those were inexplicably dead as well. He turned to the Commander, "Well sir, we.. appear to be in a bit of a pickle."

Vatoot looked around, slowly scanning the area before settling on looking at the point following the direction of the dropships travel. "Well, either we're all dead, which is unlikely, or more likely, we've encountered some kind of protective barrier. WHen you think about it, that's not exactly impossible to believe either. Maybe a giant hologram like the Tokkard used in orbit on their ships, combined with a shield to prevent organics from passing through? Or perhaps the Dormientibus dropship landed farther inward. Either way, unless you can get the dropship functioning soon," he said towards the pilot, "We will need to gather all the supplies and continue in our direction of travel. We have no way to communicate and we don't know if the Mundundi even saw us go down."

Mriet mumbled something and started fiddling with his portable device, the pilot who was tinkering with the maintenance panel groaned, "It's like she was hit with an EMP, only even the non-electronic systems are dead." The Major turned to the pilot, "Backups?" The pilot shook his head, as he closed the panel, "Everything's off-line and I can't repair them, without a fully equipped hangar bay."

"What about supplies?" The Private asked, Mriet snapped his fingers and hopped back into the dropship. After shuffling about for a moment, he finally found what he was looking for; A sizable black military crate, which he carried out of the dropship and put down onto the ground, crouching in front of it- "Let's see here.." He popped open the lid which had some white text on it, indicating it was an all-purpose emergency kit. "We've got a medical kit, three canteens of water, a dozen or so power bars and.." He dug through some of the items, "A flare gun with five flares." He looked up at the Commander, "That's it." "Well, this was supposed to be an extraction-slash-transport.. I didn't exactly pack for a camping trip." The Pilot said and walked over to the crate, looking through it's contents for himself. Karakt took a deep breath, "Well, since everything's fried, I think it's safe to assume the emergency transponder is as well. The Mundundi probably won't miss us for a good while." "A-assuming that the, uh, other dropship.. didn't m-make it." Karakt looked up at the Private, "Looking at our own situation, I don't see how they possibly could have.. Though where they are now, is a question I can't answer, without knowing more about what happened."

Vatoot nodded, "Fortunately, we still have our rifles, though I suspect our sidearms are fried," he thought for a moment further, "We need to press onward however. We'll set up some materials to indicate to any rescue crews which direction we've gone in, but we need to investigate this, otherwise other rescue shuttles may encounter the same problem, if they can find us at all."

He took several moments to just stare once more in the direction of their intended shuttle travel, "However, if we attempt to move during the day, I suspect we'll have quite an unpleasent time of it. We'll use the shuttle as a shelter until night falls, resting as we're here. Once the sun is about two thirds of the way down, and the heat of the day has passed, we'll set off along our intended direction of travel. Something is out there, we just have to find it still."

And so they set in for the wait, though besides cover from direct sun exposure, the dropship didn't provide much in the way of pleasant shelter- With even the most basic of environmental systems down, the scorching sun heated the dead aircraft like an oven, as the heat accumulated on it's hull it radiated inside as well. Fortunately the hull absorbed most of the heat, but as the hours slithered by, the outside became more bearable than the interior of the dropship - Though it didn't stop the Pilot from working on his ship, trying to at least get ventilation working.

The hours went on, one by one, being still and surrounded by such vast nothingness and with the scorching sun bearing down on them, seemed to slow down time- Or at least the Mundus' perception of it.

By the time the sun had reached a 40-degree angle in the sky, the air had already began to cool and as the team distributed their supplies evenly for their long haul, the Private was outside keeping a look out. "The Private and I can share this canteen," The Major spoke, as he handed out what little water they had, "You two share that one and.. We'll keep the last as reserve, yeah?" "Maybe.. one of us should stay behind?" The Pilot said, looking at both of them, "You know, to direct es-and-ar, and try to get the ship working?" Major Karakt sighed, "It's been almost ten hours and we've missed, what- Two, three check-ins? There must be a reason Mundundi hasn't already sent someone for us, until we figure out that reason, I doubt a rescue is coming. Besides, the days are considerably longer here, than they are on Bed, even if we made it through the night- We'd almost definitely die of heat stroke tomorrow, especially cooped up inside this thing, with no ventilation and ever-diminishing supplies." The Pilot had a grim expression as he nodded his head, Karakt glanced at Vatoot, "The Commander is right, our best bet is to keep moving along our course and try to figure out what happened.. Or, at least find proper shelter."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back