[Astrum: Heavens] [E-6] [Highdarklord] E602B

Adibos huffed and crossed his arms, "These'a things, ain't so simple. Ya see, most of them other tribe folks, be disliking us much, for abandonin' they's ancient beliefs of we's a'people, in favor of da'science. It's a'simply foolish prejudice or fear of we's advancements, but despite being da'largest and most prosperin' tribe, there's a'being more of they's folks, that be hating us and they've'a banded together."

"And so far, they's haven't attacked our friends yet, so if we's was to go attacking Barren Cove, all they's allies would be attackin' us, in retaliation!" He sighed, "Besides, with they's mountain tribe at we's a'doorstep, Chief Odimas wouldn't be daring to send away any of we's troops, as it would'a be leaving us vulnerable!"

"If they haven't attacked them yet... what makes you think they might be attacking them?" Vatoot chuckled a little as another idea crossed his mind, "And my good sir, you'd be amazed at what can be accomplished with the proper application of science... my people have tamed lands many times the size of even the most powerful of the tribes of your kind and their allies combined if our explorations are to be believed, all thanks to our own understanding of the many branches of science."

"Because they's Barren Cove folks, be swearin' they's allegiance to them anti-progressive, tribes." Adibos hemmed and leaned forward, then flipped through a few pages of the book he had before him- Stopping after a while and turning the book around, to face the Commander. Across the two pages, a crude map had been drawn, depicting the various tribes of these people. "Ya see.." He said, guiding his finger through the map as he spoke, "They's Suntribe, Seasworn Tribe and the Barren Cove, we's a'be calling, theys 'anti-progressives', yeah, and right in the middle of they's folks, be them Oldswamp. Then, there's a'being them Mountain Tribes, that ain't anti-progressive, but be hating we's a'way of life."

He then pointed to the buffer-zone on the map, between the Promised Steppes and the Barren Cove, "And there's them Nórdeios Tribe. They's be our friends, but they's folks are also friends with da'Barren Cove and Suntribe, because of they's generations old, trade treaties, see?"

He nodded as he looked at the map, "What about the political lay of the situation? They may be allied, even if its just loosely, but how likely would a shake up in the leadership of each tribe affect the alliances? Are there any historical issues between these tribes that maybe haven't been resolved? How economically stable is each one? Would a cutting of trade routes from or to one of them destabilize possibly all of them? Your strategists and king should think in every respect, they could destroy their rivals here without ever having to fight them."

He then turned his attention to the mountain tribes, "Is it possible some of these tribes could be traded with or communicated with? Perhaps be made to believe that you envy their life style, so they might hate yours that much less?"

"Interrupting they's trading routes, would be invokin' a war! And it woulda' be being impossible anyways, without invading they's territories, ya see. And we's folks, ain't threatening they's Nórdeios, as they be our friends too." He stroked his chin and hemmed, "Them Suntribe folks be open to discussions, and we's a'have been talkin' with them for a short while now. But they's Barren Cove and Seasworn, ain't even willing to let we's folkses into their lands."

"And there's no convincing they's Mountain Tribes, that we's a'being jealous of them.. They's was once part of we's tribe, see, long ago.. We's folks wasn't as united as now and these was them Tribes of the Promised Steppes. Many different groups and chiefs, that was ruling together, in a council." Adibos cleared his throat, "Then came the great grandfather, of Chief Odimas- Kahlbumas the Uniter, who broke they's council and declared that we's would be a single tribe and a single people. Most liked and wanted this change, but there was lotsa' folks who wasn't supporting Kahlbumas, who rallied they's levies and went to the Great Smart Ones, seceding from them Promised Steppes. We's folks have been enemies since then."

He grinned, "Adibos, its only invoking a war if you don't make them think its other people doing it to them. Uniting through a shared hate or dislike of somebody is a very weak alliance in the end. If you can find a way to show the Suntribe your superiority..." he chuckled, "I shouldn't do this... but my people might be able to arrange a... present for the Suntribe to help in your negotiations for peace and the like. It might take us sometime and we'd have to get other people here to assist... so it could take a while but its possible... I'll have to remember to consider mentioning it to your king..."

He nodded about the mountain tribes, "How often does your tribe and the mountain tribe fight?"

"Me's ain't liking the way you's'a talking, Vatoot. We's a'folks are a peaceful people, we ain't wantin' a war with nobody and if a wars comin', then it certainly ain't gonna be started by we's! This'a would be da'Chief's decision, of course, but me's a sure he'd a'being agreeing with me." He took a deep breath, appearing more surprised at the Commander's 'subtle' hints, than of angry or such. Adibos then shook his head, "And we's ain't had a fight with them Mountain Tribes, since da'separation many'a years ago. But they's folk be killin' anyone who's be darin' to be engrossin' on they's territory, though sometimes they be scarin' we's a'Spikead breeders an' farmers, on the outskirts of we's a'settlement."

He nodded his head in understanding, "Of course, but if people are threatening you, the longer they are allowed to gather strength, unless you're gathering strength faster than they are, the less of an advantage you might have over them. While its not your call, your people should be looking at ways to increase every advantage you have over these other tribes so they either can not pose a threat to you or join you in some way."

"However, back to our conversation about the Road builders... did they leave behind anything for your people?"

Adibos slightly bent his eye-stalks and looked puzzled by the Commander's strange question. He then huffed and shook his head, "No, they's was gone when we's a'folks done got here. They's ruins ain't been found anywheres'a else in Scimos, though nobody's been in they's Ithakva or past them Great Smart Ones.. Although.." He hemmed and looked reluctant to continue at first, then scratched his chin and chuckled, "Well, there's some'a folks, that be havin' da'ridiculous notion, that Abudados done was one of they's Roadbuilders. Before he done left, he gave we's people a strange tablet, you's might have been seein' it, when we's met Chief Odimas."

He nodded, "I did see it and was wondering about it. Have your people managed to read any of it? Also, while I can understand nobody having crossed the mountains due to the mountain tribes, why has nobody gone to the Ithakva region? That seems like it would have at least been explored."

"Abudados' done left the tablet, with instructions that we's folks would know, when we'd be havin' to learn it's secrets. And they's Ithakva Wastes, be inhabited by them Ithakva. They's not being like we's- They a bit smaller, with wings and they's vicious too." The very thought of these, 'Ithakva', seemed to give Adibos shivers. "Me's a'once done the mistake of venturin' outta' that ways, see? Was fortunate to only be seein' one of they's Ithakva, instead'a whole swarm. They's bein' just frightenin' to look at!"

He nodded his eyestalks in understanding, "Its such a shame you don't have any more information on the Roadbuilders... they're just so... baffling... to advance like they must have and then to just suddenly vanish. I find it hard to believe."

He looked again at the map, "You truly do live in such a small world... so little explored, so little explorable, so much that is still overwhelmingly hostile," he then got a, somewhat fake, distant look on his face, "So close to having it all and figuring it out, but yet still so far away from it." he muttered the last bit mostly to himself, but making sure he was loud enough for Adibos to overhear him ever so slightly.

"Indeed, there's a'bein' still lots for we's folks to be learnin' about Scimos and all they's sciences." It seemed Adibos didn't take the bait, as he hemmed, "Now, me's done been talkin' yous'a stalks off! What about ya's folk? They's Mundus? We's folks ain't ever been past them mountains, so it'd be interestin' to be learnin' some about you's'a peoples Vatoot."

He nodded his eyestalks, "We're quite different from you, as you can tell. Not just physically, but culturally and most notably, scientifically. We are much, MUCH more into the world of science than you are. We have spent many more years delving into what science can produce, and have reaped the benefits in untold ways. While the other tribes are literally in a stone age compared to yours, you have barely discovered fire compared to my people. I suspect my people are much, much older as a civilization, closer to the Roadbuilders than we are to you."

Adibos chuckled, "Well, ain't ya's be actin' arrogant!" He shook his head with clear disbelief in his tone, "If ya's folkses be so advanced and ancient, Vatoot, then why'a ain't you's come over them great smart ones before now, eh? They's Roadbuilders done existed a millennium ago, at'a least! So if you's'a bein' so much better that we's folks, you's a'would'a been explorin' this part of Scimos, long ago."

He chuckled, "We spent far, FAR too much time killing each other. We mastered war at its most brutal. Not the kind where you engage your enemy in the field, but the kind where you terrorize his armies, their supply chains, and at times even their civilians. That's why we're so curious about the Roadbuilders. They're so vastly different from us, more ancient than my own people, more advanced than either of our people."

"Well, advanced is a bein' debatable, but they's was definitely ancient." Adibos hemmed, and now pulled back the book and closed it, "If you's folkses be so advanced, would'ya be up to demonstratin' some of they's advanced sciences? If a'impressive, mayhaps we's a'folkses could'a be makin' trade with you's, eh? Me's sure, Chief Odimas would be willin' to be makin' friends and tradin', with ya' folks."

He nodded, "I could do that I believe. We have much that would amaze your people. The things my people would like to help yours learn, so that you don't suffer our mistakes... We will need to go outside first of course, preferrably to a place that will give me plenty of room. Perhaps a field of some sort?"

"A field?" Adibos exclaimed with confusion, "Cannot ya's be showin' me somethin' that ain't requirin' a lotta' space? Or is all of ya's advanced sciences, bein' the size da'house?" He chuckled a little.

He chuckled, "Well, that's the cool stuff just about... of course, I do have this," he said, as he calmly revealed the automatic rifle hidden in his clothing, moving it to be held by his two main hands, "Far faster shooting, lethal, and more accurate than your own weapons. I also have this," He noted as he pulled out his comm system, "That I can use to contact my home people at any time."

Adibos' reaction, painted a pretty clear picture of what kind of a man he was. As soon as he saw the Commander's communicator, his eye stalks snapped into focus and his face lit up, and before Vatoot knew it, his communicator was in Adibos' hands, as he examined it from all sides. "This.. this'a designs bein' truly.. fascinating!" He said, then turned to Vatoot and handed it back to him, apologizing for grabbing it with his look. "Is it a'really be lettin' da'communicate with you's a'folks?"

He nodded, "Of course it does," he then commed it to radio the flagship, "Command, this is Vatoot, I've begun a technology demonstration with one of the locals scholars."

A short pause occurred before the flagship responded, "Understood Vatoot, we have the capacity to get the reinforcements to you to assist with this if desired. They're still on standby a high fly pattern."

"Understood command. I'll let you know if I need them."

When the Comms Officer's voice came through the communicator, Adibos' eye-stalks and face tensed with surprise and amazement, "Well'a Vatoot, be'a considerin' me's'a impressed!" He exclaimed, "We's'a been toyin' with da'idea of, sendin' messages through air, yeah? But.. we's haven't'a even been considerin', it could'a be actually done!"

He nodded, "It can be done over far greater distances than just the air... the technology we've developed lets us send messages even where there is no air, or land, or water, where in fact there are only stars..." he paused for a moment to let that sink in, "Adibos, I will say this... the curiosity and desire for technology and peace your people have has impressed me, and by extension, my supierors. I will need a moment to run an idea by my own bosses, but I suspect they will agree with me... our people are a massive alliance of tribes and chiefdoms united under one supreme chief to keep us from fighting each other as we did so violently in the past. I feel that your tribe would be an excellent candiate for membership into the Chiefdom of the Mundus Somniantis, better known as my people, with full and equal rights to all that is part of the Chiefdom, as any other tribe would. Do you feel the King would be receptive to this?"

The awe faded from Adibos' face and changed into a thoughtful frown, as he leaned back in the chair and crossed his arms- Thinking for a good while, before answering. "Me's a'don't honestly be knowin'." He finally said, "We's would'a be havin' to gather the Tribal Council to be discussin' it.. And, though ya's be seemin' like'a good buncha' folks, we's'a have just met you for da'first time today. Me's can't be speakin' for Chief Odimas, but me's'a be reckonin', such a decision would take time."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back