[Astrum: Heavens] [E-6] [Highdarklord] E602B

Helix Nebula

Three fries short of a happy meal: WHACKO!!
The Mundus' first voyage into foreign stars, had certainly turned out to be.. different so far, from what had been expected. Not only had they had an abrupt encounter with a strange alien race, but now there were three of them sitting aboard a single dropship, wearing old-fashioned rags and robes, heading down onto E602B, to assess the status of the native population.

There was Professor and Major Shenzut Karakt, lead Scientific Officer of the M.S.S. Mundundi, who had volunteered onto the mission, as he was the closest to an expert on Xenology, the Mundus had. Joining him, was a Commander and another soldier. They were each wearing robes, that had been made to look old and rugged, so that they might pass for distant travelers more easily, were they forced into contact with the natives. The soldiers had also managed to hide rifles underneath their robes, just in case, though on the surface they carried blades, put together by the Mundundi's Engineering team, who had forged them from scrap used for repairs.

"We're three minutes away from our LZ." The Dropship's pilot declared from the cockpit, "Once you boys get out, I'll be waiting for your call in low-orbit. I ought to be able to get to you in a few minutes, y'know, in case of an emergency." Maj. Karakt hemmed and turned to the Commander and his subordinate, "I hope you're quite clear on the backstory I devised." He said, "I know our job is to scout from a distance at first.. However, should we deem it safe enough or be forced into contact, our stories should match." He passed and scratched the back of his head, "Assuming that in such a case, we're able to communicate with them, we should simply say that we are explorers, from a distant land. Under no circumstances, are we to mention that we are from another star system, or even another planet. Based on our initial scans, these people are not technologically advanced and as such, celestial objects might still be regarded as things of magic or worship. If we start to spout tall tales of traversing the stars, we might be imprisoned as lunatics.. or worse, killed as heretics and I would love it, if we could avoid fighting these natives."

As the Major finished, the Dropship rumbled a little as it landed.

Commander Vatoon nodded, "Understood Major, we'll do our best and generally follow your lead if we come into contact. Obviously though, if attacked or threatened, we will protect ourselves," He nodded at the tag along soldier, Private Nashtoo, "We'll be well prepared to deal with anybody thinking they can threaten us if they find us."

He grinned with the light rumbling, "Open the hatch private," he ordered, hopping out of the drop ship and letting his eyestalks quickly scan the area as one of his free hands rested lightly on the hilt of his blade. "This is going to be fun remember, gotta keep it fun, but also gotta watch. Just like our fathers of old, we're getting to do the old school recon."

As the three stepped out of the dropship and closed the hatch, the aircraft fired it's engines and started ascending back into the partially-cloudy skies above. The team found themselves on a large, grassy field, with a grand mountain-range behind them to the West, reaching far beyond the horizon. A few klicks to the East, there were some large hills, covered in grass and cyan flowers. Roaming the hillsides, were some sort of local fauna- Four-legged creatures, with two snaky heads and long curved tails that ended in a rather intimidating spike. Fortunately they appeared to be herbivores, as many of the animals' heads were nibbling on the grass, while the other head was straight up, turning around and seemingly keeping a lookout for danger.

"The nearest settlement, should be that-a ways. Beyond those hills." The Major said, while looking at a small portable computer. "We should be able to get a good look from atop those hills, without being seen." He continued, then hiding the device inside his robes.

Vatoon looked in that direction, "Interesting looking creatures... hopefully they aren't hostile. We'll take the direct route, but if they become hostile we'll meld away, and if that don't work... well, gotta defend ourselves however we need to. Hopefully they won't... most herbavoires just kind of get out of the way back home... dangerous though they tend to be as a whole."

He looked around a little more as they started walking, "Wonder what sorts of properties those flowers might have... we'll have to get a proper science team down here at some point to begin documenting everything we can."

Fortunately, the animals turned out to be passive and even curious about the Mundus. As the team started scaling the hillside, some of the animals approached them carefully and walked besides them for a few moments, though keeping at a safe distance. It seemed that the two heads of the animals, worked in at least some level of autonomy- While one head studied the Mundus, the other either kept looking out for danger, or bent down to eat the grass. From up close, the team could easily see that the animals' bodies, were covered in some kind of a natural harness, except for their scaly and leathery necks and legs, which were uncovered. Other than huffing every so often, the animals seemed a rather silent sort.

"Oh.. shit.." One of the soldiers mumbled when they reached the top of the hill, as all of them were surprised to find one of the natives there. A creature resembling some form of reptilian, sat on top of a large boulder. It only had four limbs, a pair of long thin legs and two arms, just as thin and almost as long, with a pair of hands at the end of them that only had three fingers. The alien had two eye stalks on it's head, though they were shorter than those of the Mundus. At the end of the stalks, were two yellow eyes with black pupils, that now stared at the three of them.

The alien sat with it's legs crossed and on it's lap, it had a large wooden staff. On it's head, it wore a large straw hat, that had some kind of small objects hanging from it, which sparkled nicely in the sunlight.

Vatoon's eyestalks all immediatly locked onto the local, bowing slightly at his waist with his middle eyestalk returning to its normal position of looking behind him. "Many greetings stranger."

He motioned for his comrades to mimic him to a degree, the only throught racing through his head pertaining to his hope that they weren't about to be accused of trespassing.

The native's eyestalks shivered, when the Commander said his greetings. The alien looked at Vatoon and then at his comrades, blinking his eyes, looking more surprised than shocked- Which was unexpected, considering the Mundus weren't exactly locals.

"Wabikati." The alien said, "Me's wishin' ya' fair day, oddly ones! *Ribbit*" It then spoke. The native had a very strong accent, but surprisingly enough, it seemed to speak the same language. "Coma'de to buy me's cattles, yeah? Me's got the bestest stock, in all de tribes. Very strong is me's 'Spikeads' and'a very tastys too *Ribbit*" Major Karakt cleared his throat and stepped forward, "We wish you a.. fair day, as well." He started and the native bowed it's head respectfully in response. "However, we're not here to buy cattle. We are, uh.." The Major glanced at the others, "Travelers, from a land beyond the mountains." He continued, motioning towards the distant mountain range behind them. "We hail from a.. tribe, known as Mundus. We are here in the spirit of peaceful exploration."

The local nodded and stood up- They could now see that holstered on the native's belt, was a primitive looking pistol. The alien wore a sleeveless vest, made of brown leather, as well as shorts that reached down to his knees. "From'a beyond the great smart ones, eh!?" It cheered, hopping down from the boulder. The alien's left leg appeared to be injured as it limped when walking, needing the wooden staff for support. "Me've heard'a de'stories of peoples beyond the great smart ones, *Ribbit*, but never have'a me seen some. Dangerous are them mountains, see- Ain't nobodies darin' to go beyond 'em, these'a days. Not since Abudados done never returned."

The commander nooded at Karakt to indicate that he had done well at the quick step in, "The Great Smart Ones? That's what you call them over here?" He paused, thinking for a moment, "And who was Abudados, we haven't heard of him before in our travels from extremely far away. A good story is always a good day."

The soldier with them kept one eye stalk facing forward, one watching the local's weapon, and one constantly scanning all around them.

"Abudados was'da greatest prophet- A visionary! Me wasn't alive back'a 'den, but everybodies knowin' Abudados' tale. He done founded our tribes, see? *Ribbit*" The alien hemmed and paused, "Me don't be knowin' the whole story, see me ain't no scholar. Hatched and'a raised out here'a ways, in the steppes, see? Herdin'da cattles, an' growin' 'em crops. If ya' be wantin' to learnin', ya' might wanna' head into da tribe, yeah? Me's bein' sure, da'chief would'a like to see ya's oddly folks too, ya' know."

"We would love to see your.. tribe, uh.. Mister?" "Mister?" The native chuckled, "Ain't be no needin' for 'em fancy titles, yeah? Me's just a simple farmin' one, see! Just'a be callin' me's Ebibos." "E..bibos. Right." The Major hemmed and nodded, "I am Karakt and this is our leader," He motioned to the Commander, "Vatoon." The Major then turned back to Ebibos, "As I was saying, we would love to see your tribe.. Ebibos. Though, I would be curious to hear this.. tale of Abudados. Even if yours is the folktale version, yes?" Ebibos smiled and nodded, "Well, me's heard'a many of 'em tales, and me's knowin' lots of 'em toos, ya' see. Before da'Abudados done was hatched, we's was livin' in dem swamps, see- Muddy huts and holes, not much for civilized, yeah? Anyways, one'a days, this Abudados done marched into da' swamps, sayin' he'd from a lands far away, yeah? He'd sayin' that'a the great smart ones, dem rock golems, had shown 'im a promised land, yeah- Where'd we's peoples could'a thrive an' rise. Abudados lead we's kinds out 'ere, to these Promised Steppes, see, and 'ere we's people was given the wisdom of 'em smart ones. How to be writin' and buildin' better, yeah? And how to be shootin' too!" Ebibos laughed and pulled out his weapon, showing it off. The design was peculiar, it looked like a primitive flintlock pistol mixed with an early revolver-model. After spinning the pistol around one of his fingers a couple of times, he holstered it again. "Now, if ya's be wantin' to, I could'a be showin' ya' to the tribe, yeah?"

Vatoot nodded at Karakt, "I believe we should certainly meet this village elder. He could provide us with much information, and become quite a good friend for us. We certainly need to learn more about the history of this region after all."

"Ebibos, we would love to visit your tribe and be introduced. There is much that could be learned, and possibly great trade that could be started, or at least considered."

"Well alrighties then!" Ebibos cheered, "Come'da this'a ways, me's Spikeads we'll be okay by them'a'selves for a whiles." He said, then starting to lead the Mundus down the hill and across the vast grassland before them. The grass in the field had grown very tall, reaching at least a meter or so from the ground. Snaking it's way through the field, was a partially overgrown cobble-path, that seemed to be decades old. As they walked on the path, they passed by a couple of collapsed stone structures and lonely stone walls, that had once been part of larger structures. "These'a steppes was once'da home to them roadbuilders, see?" Ebibos explained, apparently making extra coin as a tour guide on the side of farming. "Them scholar ones have 'em a fancy name for them, but'a we's commonly ones just be callin' them roadbuilders.. 'cause of all them snaky roads they'd be leavin' behind, leading to nowheres." "Interesting.." Karakt said, hemming, "What happened to these.. Roadbuilders?" "Oh, they's ones was real smart, see. They's done built them'a'selves these great big arcs, yeah? Then they's done cast spells and sailed into them stars with them. The last ones done left during Abudados' time, see- He's was tellin' me's ancestors about the roadbuilders, who then passed along them stories."

The Major hemmed again and backed up a little, so he could talk to the Commander without Ebibos hearing- "If there was a spacefairing civilization here.." He whispered, "They might still be around in the nearby systems.."

The Commander nodded in agreement, "Several generations ago for that matter, at least. Perhaps they're related to the ones we encountered upon entering the system? Or perhaps they're extinct, having abandoned this entire system..." he thought to himself somewhat, "Ebibos, how many generations, or well, years ago did Abudados live?"

The soldier that was with them was deep in thought, listening in to all the conversations at the same time.

"Oh dat' was many'a hatchin' cycles ago." Ebibos said and stopped to think for a moment, scratching his neck. "Me'd be guessin' three thousand cycles, at least." He hemmed, "That'd be makin' six hundred in da'sun-years, see?" Ebibos continued walking along the path, "We's got us five hatchin' cycles a years, and that's how most of we's ones be countin' times.. It ain't as accurate as them scholars' calendars, but it's tradition, yeah?"

A few minutes later, they stepped out of the tall grass and suddenly found themselves at a large, open gate- That was part of a very tall palisade. As they walked through the gate, they entered the Tribe- Though it was more like a bustling city- Hundreds, maybe thousands of buildings spreading out across the rising hillsides, extending well beyond the horizon. Many of the structures were made out of wood and stood on stone supports, slightly off the ground- All of the buildings were dome shaped and had 'modules' extending out of them, forming rooms and hallways connecting some of the buildings together. A wide dirt road, seemed to form the "main street"- Though they could see some of the natives laying down cobblestones into the ground, constructing pavement.

"Shebtabou!" Someone yelled and in the blink of an eye, four vicious looking locals in primitive armor, had surrounded their group- Two of them had what was their version of halberds and the other two held primitive rifles. "Take it'da easys, fellows!" Ebibos said and motioned the apparent soldiers, to stand down. "These'a oddly ones, be comin' from beyond them great smart ones, see? They be explorers, yeah?"

The private fell back to the commander, "Sir, roughly six hundred years ago here puts their space travelors within an acceptable time frame to have been part of whatever incident caused all the crashes on our planet. The most recently discovered crash site I've heard about is less than a hundred years old, and some of the oldest range up to a thousand years, but even then, the technology found in them has been so varied, it would make sense."

The commander nodded, "Its possible, but there is much more that we have to learn still."

As the soldiers rushed in towards them, the commander and private both allowed their "sword" hands to rest on their makeshift blades, though this more because it put the hands in position to grab their rifles and open fire if they needed to. "We aren't here to fight unless you want to threaten us, but we'd rather not have this become a mess..."

"Kebkebeti! Down, put ya' weaponses down!" Another voice yelled and in an instant, the four soldiers stood down, as another local approached- This one appeared to be an elder or at least elderly, as his scales looked worn and wrinkled and he walked in a slouched manner, holding onto a wooden cane for support. He wore a black robe, with white decorations on it. "Everydays ya' be comin' for visitin' Ebibos, ya' seem to be brining troubles!" The elderly said, then laughing as Ebibos gave him a hug, "Ya's be back grandpa'! It's'a great to be seein' ya' again." Ebibos said, smiling. He then turned to the Mundus, "These'a oddly ones, be comin' from beyond them great smart ones, see? They's was lookin' to be learnin' more about we's ones, ya' see, so me's brought them heres'a'ways, to be talkin' to da' scholary types, yeah?" The elder native hemmed and took a step closer to the Mundus, intently observing them with his eyes. "Me's seein' ya' truly brought some oddly ones to our tribe, eh? Me's name be Adibos, oddly ones. Me's one of da'scholars, of we's tribe, come'a da'wis me, the Chief be wantin' to meet ya'."

Once the soldiers lowered their weapons, the group of Mundus relaxed, taking their hands off of their own weapons, "My name is Vatoot, and I'm the leader of our group. We'd be happy to meet with your chief if that is his will."

The private with the group had all three of his eyes scanning the area, never settling for more than a moment, except to almost begin staring down each of the soldiers with one eye while the other two seemed to eat up each soldier's entire armament and armors, as if analyzing them. Vatoot's eyes focused on the elder that had arrived the entire time though.

"Well it's a pleasure to be a'meetins' ya's ones, Vatoot." Adibos said and waved his hand, motioning for the soldiers to go away, as he started leading the Mundus up along the dirt 'street'. Most of the houses and buildings they passed along the way, all looked more or less identical, with the occasional stone structures and tents. There did appear to be a few 'upgrade' projects going on, as they walked down the dirt streets and paths of the tribe, they saw a few construction sites, where wood was being replaced or enveloped in stone. The more of the tribe they saw, the more it started to look like a primitive metropolis, rather than a backwater village- The locals even had a primitive "bus" system; Large wagons, big enough for dozen or more people, were being pulled around by tame "Spikeads" on some of the wider dirt streets and these people were definitely in the middle of technological advancement- Which became more and more apparent, the deeper into the tribe that they traveled. Advanced metalwork had been applied in some of the buildings towards the tribe's center, the dome-shaped huts, changed into larger domes, built out of brick and stone- Entire apartment complexes, some even had "elevators" on the outside, that carried people and larger items. Granted, they didn't work on electricity, but it was an intriguing mixture of technology, in what seemed like an otherwise primitive society.

Somewhere along the way, Ebibos had left the group, saying something about buying supplies for his farm, then hopping onto one of the 'buses' they'd seen. Adibos kept leading them on foot and as they passed locals along the way, everyone seemed to hold a lot of respect for Adibos- Lifting their hats, bowing and curtsying as they passed by, though all of them gave the Mundus suspicious looks. Eventually though, they made it to their destination- A massive dome structure in the center of the tribe, with a large marble statue on top, depicting a robed local who held an oval tabled in one hand and pointed towards the, "Great Smart Ones" with the other- Which they could just about make out, even from so far away.

The four of them entered the large dome and walked down a guard-filled hallway, at the end of which was a pair of open doors, that lead them into a grand hall- Decorated with rugs, pillars, chandeliers and paintings. At the end of the hall, opposite from the door, was a large stone throne, which was empty. Above the throne, on the wall, was a large, gold-lined glass case, inside which was an oval computer tablet.

As they entered the throne room, a guard cleared his throat and announced them; "Wabikati! Adibos the Traveler, and three oddly ones!" The guard yelled, his voice echoing in the dome hall. After a moment, a door near the throne opened and a tall figure walked in- It was a male native, who carried himself with grace and pride. He wore a black cloak, over a dark blue robe and on his head, was a crown of sorts, made from black and white feathers. In his right hand, he held a long black staff, with a red gem at the top of it. Though it was hard to tell any of their ages, this one didn't look all that old- He was certainly a few decades younger than Adibos and a few decades older than Ebibos.

The male walked to the throne, turned to face the group slowly and sat down. "Shat'mia mel, Adibos kal Jefrem." The man would speak, with a deep voice that echoed like thunder in the hall. Adibos stepped forth and bowed, "Vatoot, mai Maistrat." He said and the male hemmed, nodding. He turned to look at the Commander, "A'bel, Vatoot kal Stretok." He paused, "I greet you, Vatoot the Explorer." He then pressed his left hand against his chest and bowed his head, "Mel, Odimas kal Maruk." He said and lifted his head. "I am Odimas the Teacher. Chief of Tribe Abudados, King of the Promised Steppes and Guardian of the Stone of Wisdom. I welcome you, to my hall and lands."

The three Mundus simotaniously drew their blades and then turned them, point towards the ground in their hands, "Odimas the Teacher, Chief of Tribe Abudados, King of the Promised Steppes and Guardian of the Stone of Wisdom, I, Commander Vatoot the Explorer, a Master of the Fourth of the Nine Arts, and Representative of all Mundus kind, pledge that not myself nor any of my kind will do you harm without provocation or declaration long before. On our weapons is this sworn for all to bear witness," Commander Vatoot swore in a traditional greeting of certain aspects of the Mundus people, allowing his voice to boom around the room, before all three of the Mundus sheathed their blades, the Private declaring in an equally loud voice, "And so withness is born by all!"

"We are honored to be welcomed here Odimas, for we have travelled a long way, from beyond the Smart Ones and many times farther."

Odimas hemmed and gave the Commander a long nod, after his greeting. "Kas'haram. Few have ever dared to journey, into the mountains and even fewer, have ever returned, only to bring warning of the hazardous nature of the Great Smart Ones." He hemmed deeply and waved a guard over, whispering something to the guard, who then scurried out of the throne hall. "You must be weary from your journey and no doubt, suffered greatly in the harshness of the mountains. As such, you will be given food and a place to rest. Though first, I would have you tell me- What brings your kind to these lands, so far from your home? Not since the time of Abudados the Ancient, have we heard of the strange peoples distant."

Vatoot nodded in understanding, "As is our title, we are explorers from a distant land, seeking to expand our knowledge of the world and push our limits of understanding as far as we can. We hope to, in many generations, explore all there is to explore and learn all we can. Our people know much about many things, but everyday we find something new our people haven't learned yet, haven't met before, or haven't seen prior. Our journey was difficult, paved with many lives and challenges over many years. A rest is always welcome."

"Yes, indeed." Odimas said and waved his hand, "Adibos shall take you to the Hall of the Roadbuilders." And so, Adibos once again lead the way. The building they went to, wasn't too far from the palace of Odimas and they could easily tell which building it was, once they saw it, as it didn't fit the scenery at all. This, "Hall of the Roadbuilders" looked to be ancient, it was a massive building built of marble and stone. The structure's layout formed a half-square and looked like it had at least four floors. In the middle of it's left- and right-'wings', leading up to the entrance, was a lush garden with various exotic flowers, bushes and trees. As they walked through the garden's colorful flora and magnificent fountains, they saw many natives, most of whom dressed a lot like Adibos, wearing fancy robes and suits. "This'a be the only structure built by the Roadbuilders, that's a'still standin'." Adibos explained, as they walked up the marble steps, leading up to the main entrance. "Accordin' to 'dem records, this is where Abudados, lead we's ancestors from them southern swamps. 'Temple of Virtue', them' Roadbuilders was callin' it, accordin' to Abudados." "So why the name change?" The Private pondered, as they entered through the large wooden doors, into a finely decorated hallway, full of other people. "Well, 'at's a bit of a long story, see.. But nowadays, this'a buildin' be servin' as the gathering place of us scholars an' men of knowledge. We be teachin' others here as well."

Adibos lead the team up to the second floor and into a large room, with a small lounge that had a nice view of the bustling city and distant hillsides, a big bedroom with three beds and the local equivalent of a bathroom. The Mundus were given an hour or so to get settled and freshen up, after which a guard came to escort them to a Royal feast, being held in their honor. On their way there, Maj. Karakt pulled the Commander aside for a moment, "Sir.. Permission to suggest something dangerous?"

The commander took in everything he could, absorbing as much as he could and committing it to memory the best that he could in case things went south something fierce something quick. "We'll have to hear this story sometimes Adibos. Stories are the heart of a people after all." He freshened up as best he could once they were in their rooms, though there wasn't admittidly much to freshen up on.

He did however take some time to send a status report to the shuttle to be relayed along back to the fleet, detailing everything that's happened so far and getting input from the private and major.

Commander Vatoot nodded, "What is it Major? I would enjoy knowing if its what I think it might be."

"Well, I've been curious about the computer tablet they had in the throne room." The Major said quietly, two of his eye stalks continuously making sure there were no eavesdroppers. "These people are way too primitive to have built it and if I had to guess, I'd say it's a relic left behind by that.. Abudados guy, which might mean he was actually one of these fabled, "Roadbuilders"." He paused, observing the Commander's reaction so far. "That tablet might hold some information about these Roadbuilders.. Like who they were and where they went. With your permission, sir, I'd like to sneak to their throne room, grab the tablet and download all of it's information for later analysis. I may be a scientist, but I've had just as much training as any other soldier and I could be in and out of there, in a flash. After downloading the information and returning the tablet, I'd join the rest of you at this.. feast."

The commander nodded, his own eyestalks moving all around, "There is much that we could learn from something like that about these people, and just what it was that is causing them to seemingly develop so... haphazardly. A mish-mash of ancient types of technology from many years apart... our training is perfect for this though. I give you full permission to do so. However, if you are caught, the rules of secrecy apply... I'll deny knowing what you were doing... these people have no idea what we are capable of... it will work in our benefit the longer they don't know."

The commander looked at the prviate, "The Major is about to need to go grab a trinket of his he left in the room, and it could take him a short moment to find it. Be knowledgeable as such."

As the Major went on his little.. excursion.. The rest of them were taken by the guard, to another part of the structure- A large dining hall, where they were met with the most exotic, but delicious of smells. A long table had been set in the center of the room and it was almost filled to the brim with bowls and platters, that held all kinds of foods- From salads, to soups, to a plentiful assortment of meats, prepared in various ways. At one end of the wide table, were two wooden thrones- On the right, stood Chief Odimas and on the left, stood a female native, who wore clothing similar to Odimas'. On the right side of the table, down one from Odimas was a chair, next to which stood Adibos and on the opposite side of him, was another chair, next to which stood another prominent figure, a younger male. At the opposite end of Odimas and his subjects, seats had been arranged for the Mundus. The guard that had escorted them, quickly explained to Odimas, Maj. Karakt's tardiness, to which Odimas nodded understandingly.

"Allow me to introduce you," He then spoke and motioned to the female on his left, "This is Queen Aljuña, my beloved mate." She smiled politely and curtsied, Odimas then motioned to the young male on the left, "And this, is Frodebos the Builder, Magistrate of Tribe Abudados." "'Es a pleasure." The Magistrate said and bowed his head. "And these, my friends, are the travelers from Mundus, lead by Vatoot the Explorer." With that, Odimas motioned them all to be seated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back