• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Arva: Tides of Darkness [IC] [Closed]

The Aervis diverted his gaze from the sky to the demoness, his breaths slow as he allowed a contemplative calm to wash over him. Errant thoughts of the future would do him no good, perhaps some focus on this serenity and nothing more might ease him. Take things as they come up until fate's conflux.

"Certainly." he replied to Invira. "The skies of the Aether do not belong to any one kin, let alone a lone individual."

The sky was...nice. This quiet standing under the sky with this odd person. The way he spoke reminded her a bit of this one man who was nearly always in the vast library. He seemed to disapprove of her being there, but he had never been unkind to her. Passing by him made her sneeze quite a bit.

She stared into the sky, unable to pull her sight away from the vasy array of stars shining on them.

"It's very kind what you're doing for that child. She will do well under your tutelage, I think."

His gaze soon went back to the sky, piecing together this constellation and that as he looked beyond the veil to try and make out the flowing cosmic energy residing between each point. Now and then his beak clicked as he his mind was both here and elsewhere. Beneath a different sky than the one above his home, he would always try to make out what he recognized and what he could not.

Da'Vost nodded his head. "Far be it from me to deprive a young mind the nourishment it craves." he states, trying to remain modest. "It has been quite some time since I have had a pupil, so I am hoping that she may flourish. Her kin do not seem too versed in magic at all. If it weren't I who else would she have?"

As Pottrey took the lead on the dance Eirana was surprised but quickly adapted to the situation. She followed the rhytmic moves of the squire and even shifted her grip. With raised eyebrows and a slight smirk on her face Eirana laughed. "You seem to have fooled yourself and me, my brave knight. Dancing is not match for you."
The dance continued on with the Utterlin song in the background and as it finished Eirana steered the couple to the center where she bowed as a sign of respect.

"Thank you for the dance," she said with a smirk before giving Pottrey a kiss on the cheek.

Eirana then left the hold and went up to the deck where she spotted Da'Vost and Invira. Seating herself next to the Aervis with a smile still on her lips Eirana nodded towards the two of them. "Greetings, companions."

"True enough. But many would either discount her, demand payment, or study her more than teach her for her oddness." Invira had seen enough of the two. There were apprentices abound at the Lodge but there were many more rejected. She wasn't entirely sure of the process of doing that, but she knew each master tended to do things differently and many of those things were more than a little unkind. More than that, she heard of the veritable horror stories of some apprenticeships beyond the rules of the Lodge. Very bad things had happened to some desperate apprentices who find magic users ready to use young hopefuls terribly.

"It's nice to see, though. It's been odd not feeling the use of magic all the time. It's nice there are so many magic users in this company right now."

Invira gave Eirana a smile when she joined them, "Hello. Has Pottrey a master at dance?"

"How deplorable." Da'Vost replied with a frown, soon shaking his head about. "To take advantage of such a young and eager mind like that is unacceptable. I care not for material wealth or invasive study. Knowledge exists in abundance, and should be given in abundance."

"I am glad the presence of magic is comforting to you." the Aervis answered soon after Invira spoke. "Not many would agree with you there, I think." Just then Eirana came asking to greet them, prompting a chuckle and nod out of the old bird. He didn't think he would be leading a group session of meditation beneath the stars so he found the concept rather amusing. "Greetings, please join us." he croons.

"The squire was nothing short of a natural," replied Eirana with a smile. She only caught a few words of the conversation between Invira and Da'Vost with the little she had heard presumably being related to Lanya. "I am here to join you in meditation, assuming your invitation still stands Fateseeker."
What she had told Da'Vost earlier had been true; it had been quite some time since she truly meditated in the same fashion her people had. Eirana's past often filled her with a sense of dread though considering the positive impact on mind and body a true meditation- rather than a mere hibernation to rest- was far overdue.

In the event that her mind wandered she would at the very least not be alone. Of that, Eirana was sure.

As both Arnas and Eidunn sat down, he couldn't help but let out a chuckle as he looked over to Pottrey who was now freed from his dance when Eirana left for the top deck. "Say Pottrey, I didn't take you for a master dancer! What's your secret?" he asked with a grin to the squire.

"I...I don't know...it just happened" Pottrey was trying to come up with an explanation as he looked around and scratched the back of his head.

"I can probably answer that." Waylond spoke as he approached "There are different rumors going about noble lines, but Pottrey's has one in particular. There were stories that his mother came from a long line of descendants tracing their lineage to old Windtail himself. The master bard of song and dance. Looks like there's something of him in you my young squire."

"Windtail? I'm not familiar with the story..." Arnas remarked for a moment before being interrupted by Hughin. "There's Windtail the Bard, Lameril the Gallant, and Kedwin the Rider, all of whom are from Merish if I my memory serves me correctly." Hughin spoke up as he finished the mead he had. "Starthgarde, Bavaren and Valderach have their own folklore tales too alongside that. A shared heritage among the realms of the Vale. No shortage of heroes for people to reminisce about."

The Aervis chuckles as Eirana asks if his invitation still stood, to which he held up a hand that he waved slowly. "You would be right to assume such. I possess no reason to rescind it, and I hardly call this boat my own after all." Da'Vost asserts as he pulls his hanging hand inward to beckon the elf to join them.

"The skies burn brightly for all those who find themselves beneath it. There is such tranquility residing within its chaotic motions and events, if one looks close enough. Or perhaps far enough..." After that musing he twitch-shakes his head and redirects his atrention to the stars, not saying another word so that he would not distract either Eirana or Invira.

"Yes, Windtail. His father is Branin the carver and his mother was the south wind." Waylond continued "His songs are preserved and recited in halls to this day. Said to part the water when he crosses rivers the same way he parted legs of fair maidens when he sang. The mountains themselves sang when he played. His dancing to be the envy of many on account of his heritage. Many claiming that he floated as he moved."

"But what is legend and what is true is hard to say." He looked to his Squire "But if aunt Seline was right, then maybe we just had a glimpse into the truth."

"Mother claimed a great many things for our house. I'm not sure what to believe truth be told."

"Perhaps. Maybe your lineage can be traced. Or maybe you're just starting your own legend." he said as he patted him on the shoulder.

"Pottrey... the Bold! I like it!" Arnas said with a grin as he drank some ale from a nearby tankard. Hughin let out a chuckle as he sat back in his seat: "Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, Arnie." he said as he looked around. "Being remembered for deeds and whatnot requires quite a bit of luck in finding the right people to write it down... or pass it along in some other way. Most brave men never have their stories told, and live out their lives as anyone else would."

"Ah, but that's why we got Krasso with us right?" Arnas replied as he pointed to the satyr currently drinking against Valentina, "He'll bring out our stories, won't you man?"

With Da'Vost having formally accepted her presence Eirana bowed her head in respect. The gesture was as much tradition as it was common manners. After all, among her people meditations such as these were private and, at times, intimate activities where one not only replenished energy but also opened their whole selves to those that were present.
As the Aervis spoke a final set of philosophical words Eirana did nothing but smile and nod before she too looked at the stars. A clear night full of stars was as perfect as things could be, especially for a meditation.

She closed her eyes and did nothing but listen. Eirana could hear her own heartbeat. She could hear waves crashing against the hull and how the ship itself croaked and moaned. She could hear the muffled chatter and music below, the laughter and cheering. She could hear the wind passing into the sails and ruffling Da'Vost's many feathers. It was serene and calm.

But then she felt it.

Something on the horizon. Something dark.

Eirana tensed up, clenching her jaw. She could hear it now. Waves crashing against ships. Oars pummeling the water. Excited chatting between the soldiers. There were warnings all along the beach as the dark ships approached. The sound of arrows and crossbow bolts burrowing into sand, wood and flesh echoed through her mind. Laughter. Chainmail rustling and blades being drummed alongside the railing.

She could hear the cries for help and pleas for mercy. Heavy leather boots sprinting across the sand, catching up with bare feet that were battered and bruised. She could hear the slashing and cutting. Bodies collapsing. Fires burning. Cries from children.

It had all been so fast. She could hear her panicked breathing. The sound of her golden shield falling to the ground.

The sound of cast iron chains and cuffs being locked around her wrists just before she was forced to kneel into the sand.

Eirana's eyes shot wide-open and it took a moment for her to realize that she was now standing up in a combat stance and with her dagger in her hand pointed forward over the railing at an invisible enemy. A single tear ran down her left cheek.

Invira watched her companions become quiet and steady and she hadn't--she didn't know how to do this. This meditation thing. A few of the magic users at the Lodge had spouted the idea that meditation could help, but it wasn't for her. She was a tool and her use was to stab and be stabbed. To shut herself off from the world, leave herself and her charges vulnerable? No, this wasn't something she thought she could do. So she stood back and did what she was trained to do. She protected.

There was a content air that came off of Da'Vost made her maybe want to try...maybe. But not when they were here alone and there was still an edge on the edges of the calmness she'd found up here. She drew a dagger from where it was hidden and readied herself for an attack that likely wouldn't come.

Something felt off as she watched over two of her magic users. She couldn't place it but she fell into a more combat ready stance. This wasn't what she remembered.

It was coming from the elf. An unease Invira couldn't explain. She went to touch her, try and snap her out of whatever thing was holding her, watching the twitches of her hands and her jaw. years of honed reflexes gave her the speed to jump back as the elf surged up, drawing a weapon and pointing it over the water.

She waited a moment, giving Eirana a chance to collect herself, still wary and ready. This wasn't something she'd come across and she'd only met this elf today. Perhaps she was dangerous herself. Did meditation do this to people? Why would anyone do that?

"Are you alright Eirana?"

The meditating Aervis sat in a contemplative position with his head turned to the stars, his eyes remaining open with his gaze unflinching to the heavens. He allowed the calm to wash over him as he sat in silent thought, the communal meditation easing him further. Yet this would not entirely come to pass, for after a few minutes Da'Vost caught wind of both Invira and Eirana standing with blades drawn. His head swiveled in confusion. Was this some kind of ritual? Combat meditation perhaps..? Puzzling as it was he couldn't keep silent considering how distressed the elf seemed.

"Are the both of you alright?" Da'Vost inquired with a low croon. "I mean no offense if I am interrupting anything. I've just not witnessed many meditation rituals that use weaponry openly."

Eirana was shaking. She blinked twice and narrowed her eyes. Slowly she returned her knife to its sheath and looked at Invira and Da'Vost with a terrified expression.
"I...I should leave you," she stuttered out. Wiping away the tear from her cheek and taking a long but shaky breath it was clear the the Elf was doing her best to compose herself.

"This was a bad idea. I'm sorry," she said, attempting to walk past her two companions.

The Aervis soon began to stand up as Eirana was clearly distraught over something, the towering avian figure looking down at her with concern on his face. "No need for apologies." Da'Vost said, trying to follow behind her to intercept. While he did not rush to prevent her from leaving he did not wish to completely block her path to make her feel trapped. The elf must have saw something that she did not like, though he of course had no idea.

"If you ever wish to talk about whatever weighs on your mind, I am willing to listen." the Fateseeker said as he clasped his hands together.

Stopping, Eirana looked at Da'Vost with a pained expression. "Thank you, Fateseeker." She hesitated and shook her head. "Perhaps another day."
That said the Elf left her two companions. Despite her clearly emotional state she held her head high and carried herself with pride as if trying to make herself seem less vulnerable.

Before heading below deck the light from a lantern danced across her partially obscured gold and silver armor, covered by a drab cloth to mask its form.

A cloth which was now stained with tears.

Sea-Booze (Round 5)
Krasso - 3; Fail, Krasso is knocked out!
Valentina - 4; Fail, Valentina is knocked out!

DRAW!
Arnas wouldn't get a response from Krasso in time as he downed yet another sea-booze alongside Valentina to determine the winner. Yet neither would get the chance to boast, as this final drink would be the one to take them both out of commission and subsequently bring them unconscious. The Utterlins that had been cheering them along yelled out in unison as both duelers collapsed, surprised at such an unexpected turn of events. "A draw! They be 'avin a draw!" one cried out with laughter. "Till next time, eh?" another shouted as he slapped the table. The two that had been betting on the winner both exchanged looks and shrugged to one another. Neither would be losing any money tonight.

The night continued on for some time until everyone eventually had their fill, with both most of the crew and the company heading to either their hammocks or, for the captain and important personnel, their designated quarters. A good night's rest from the drinking and partying was sorely needed. The next morning however, it was noticed that a lot of food had been expended for such a celebration, and the decision was made for the barge to make a quick stop at a Dandolian port city after the river had been navigated to the sea.

Two days later...

after arriving to the city of Vendeto on the coastline. A few hours is what would be needed for the purchase of foods and supplies for the journey, as well as for some time for people to stretch their legs on land. Valentina unfortunately heard dire news of her mother's health, and informed Hughin of her premature departure from the Company. Of course, they left on good terms as Valentina hurried to find a horse and head for her home further into Dandolio.

Gerwin made his way with nearly a dozen of his crew to start buying and bringing back what was needed, while Hughin stretched his legs on the pier nearby. It felt nice to return to dry land for some time as he knew that the journey would be weeks at sea at the least. Zakala in the meantime had gone to purview the nearby market to see what was available and if anything interesting caught her eye, while Arnas sparred a bit with Pottrey on the main deck of the barge. "C'mon Pot, you gotta read movements if you wanna properly block!" Arnas jested to the squire with a smirk as he walked back. There was a lot of work to be done as he could barely wield a sword properly enough, and his form leaved much to be desired. Arnas then turned to Waylond, "How much longer do you want us to keep going?" he asked the knight.

Last edited:
"As long as you deem necessary." Waylond gave him a short answer "I'll handle getting supplies to cover for us, along with anything else we might require." He looked to the distance to see Valentina ride off "Shame that she couldn't keep herself with us for a bit longer." He sounded saddened a bit "But I can't fault her."

Pot in turn got ready for the sparing. He gulped as he got ready. Arnas was friendly enough, but the squire didn't really see just how good of a warrior he could be.
"R-ready when you are Ser Arnas." He tried to get into the right stance that Waylond had taught him. To his credit, it was indeed the right one. Still needed some work however.

The knight nodded in approval of his squire's leanings. After that he climbed down to the pier. Before going to pick up any supplies, however he turned back to see if anyone else wanted to do any shopping. He wasn't encumbered by his armor, just casual wear and the sword hanging from his belt. There was no real worry for him to get exhausted.

The fear was what shocked Invira to silence more than anything. What had she seen that would make a person look so afraid? Like a cornered animal with no way out. This wasn't her realm of expertise. She could let Eirana know that she was safe--protected. But how could she protect this person from her own mind? Or was it something else? Either way, the elf was walking away with head held just a tad too high before Invira could think of a response. Da'Vost also let her go, so it was the right thing to do, surely.

She stowed her dagger in one of its hidden places and stared at the stars to think.

~~~

The next two days were odd ones. She watched over her companions and tried desperately not to laugh as Arnas taught Pottrey. The boy had good foundations, yes, but needed more than a little improvement. And if she spent much of her time watching over Eirana, she did so subtly so as not to spook the elf. It was more than a little difficult being on a boat and all, but she managed it well enough. She also tried to spend some time soaking in the teaching that Da'Vost did with his apprentice. She understood none of it, but the familiarity of it offset the strangeness of even this short time on the boat with the Utterlins.

She slinked close to Pottery, putting a soft hand on his shoulder so he wouldn't be surprised and swing at her. Moving in close, she whispered. "Watch his chest, not his eyes. The eyes can lie but his shoulders cannot, not truly. If you can, aim for the armpits. They're delicate places with an artery and few think to guard it." She stood up and patted him on the back, smiling. "I believe in you."

She bounded away to watch, crossing her arms. In all honesty, the advice was a long shot. He was new to this and still telegraphed his movements terribly but he had improved, even it was a small bit. Arnas was a good teacher to this boy and she couldn't wait to see how he'd develop.

Eidunn slowly emerged from the ships hull, shielding her eyes as she did. She looked over towards the sparing match. Take this opportunity, go buy some supplys. Tearing her eyes away from the rather entertaining duel, she carefully maneuvered her way down onto the pier. Spoting Waylond standing of to the side, she gingerly approached.

"Hello, heading into market aswell?" She asked, reaching into her cloak to find the small sack of coins, trying to gauge a rough estimate. She had to admit, she really missed the cold up north, this heat was going to be the death of her.

Further down the wooden pier, at a small fish market, there was a small crowd of about ten or so people. Standing there whispering amongst themselves, they gawked at the tall, dark skinned demon standing in front of the counter. The tribal-looking demon stood there, silently eyeballing the fish which had been laid out before her. The fisherman opposite of her gawked at her just like the others around them, but his attention was directed more towards the large poleaxe resting on her shoulders behind her neck.

Her yellow eyes examined each of the fish, before she finally motioned to one near the center. "...Three of those." she said, rather plainly. Simple cod fish. The man on the other side of the counter nodded slowly, still eyeing the poleaxe. "...Ten gold each." he responded. Her eyes moved quickly to the man, her expression remaining stone-like, but she gently reached down into one of the pockets on her small vest. From it, she drew out three moderately sized rocks of what appeared to be pure gold. "No coin, but I have a few pieces of raw gold." she said, her voice bearing the same tone as before. The fisherman's eyes dropped to the rocks in her hand as she held them out, and quickly widened. "Y-Yes, that would work."

"Good." she simply said, before reaching across the counter and dropping the three rocks into the man's hands. He quickly pocketed them, before turning about and taking three large cod out of a bucket full of water in the back of his shop. Within a few moments, he shoved a small spike through them, attaching the three fish together with a bit of rope, before handing it over to the tall demon. She thanked the man with a simple nod, then turned about and looked down at the crowd around her. Staring at her. She grunted, which seemed to spook them enough for them to move out of her path.

Aureal got up from the sleeping quarters of the barge to be greeted by Arnas sparring with his squire. The sound of labored breathing and grunts of pain, mostly from the squire, made him wince with sympathy. The elf was not one for physical combat, opting to stand behind and offer support. So instead of giving Pottrey tips on how to handle his sword properly like what Waylond and Invira are doing, he stood at the sidelines and gave the squire a cheer.

Aureal wore a simple tunic and his hooded cloak to cover up his ears before he stepped off the barge to join Eidunn and Waylond on their way to the marketplace. "You don't mind me joining you to the marketplace I hope?" he asked them both, making a list in his mind of necessities he needs to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back