• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Arva: Tides of Darkness [IC] [Closed]

"Oh c'mon Pottrey, you flatter me! I'm no Ser!" Arnas replied in jest as he hopped a bit in place. He was eager to start a new bout again, both to help Pottrey as well as show off a bit. With Invira's advice, Pottrey stepped forward to face Arnas again. "Alright, lets go!" Arnas said aloud as he twirled his sword in his hand and advanced forward.

Sparring Session
Pottrey - 1; Critical Fail
The young squire only managed to block two of Arnas' blows before tripping on his own feet and landing squarely on his ass backwards, thus ending any chance for the squire to properly mount a further defense. Arnas chuckled and quickly helped the young lad up, "Footing's also important, gotta remember that."

Zakala in the meantime had been purveying the nearby market stalls to the disdain of some of the common folk nearby. She was used to this for some time now, but it still felt strange being constantly watched for something that she probably would never do. Yet she also saw another of her kind, this time a grey skinned Morganthi demon, walk about with similar problems. Shit. she thought to herself as her current path seemed to nearly intersect with this other demon's. Clan Lusvon and Morganthi never... got along well for the most part, as the former focused on more peaceful applications and routes rather than the seemingly insatiable lust for combat of the latter. Please don't notice me, please don't notice me... Zakala thought to herself as she passed the grey-skinned demon.

---
The past two days for Da'Vost were a bit of a challenge to try to reign in the energy of his young apprentice. She was often more focused on running about and distracting herself rather than focus on the reading-heavy curriculum placed by the Aervis. It was obvious that she was a bit absent-minded more often than not and also showed an annoyance for sitting still in one place for far too long, seemingly in contradiction to what Da'Vost was familiar with. As the barge docked at Vendeto, Lanya was called away to help with gathering supplies with a few of her older siblings which left Da'Vost to himself for the most part.

Eirana had spent the two days mostly by herself. If she had been in any kind of emotional distress she either refused or could not show it and in the presence of Da'Vost and Invira the Elf had remained silent or been quick to control the subject matter, if not outright avoiding those two companions altogether.

For Eirana this presented a dilemma. On one hand she wanted to come clean, to share her story and, possibly, earn some form of understanding. On the other hand she didn't want to alert or worry Hughin.

Currently Eirana was seated atop the stern railing, her eyes were closed and she appeared to be humming on a song of unknown origin as the wind fought with her long blonde hair in a playful manner.

Glaring his chestnut brown eyes around the crowded streets of Vendeto, the young half-elf approached a food stall filled with stacks of seasonal fruits, freshly picked from the nearby farm. "One." the six foot half elf exclaimed to the merchant two feet taller than him pertaining to the amount of gold he was willing to pay for a cluster of bananas. "Two. Take it or leave it." the merchant replied with a pointed tone, leaving no room for negotiation.

Nodding to the fact that he doesn’t have enough coins to satiate his hunger as well as not having any gold at all, he cautiously waited for the merchant to turn his back in order for the mischievous half-elf to attempt the unspeakable. In no time, his sly hands slowly thieved three pieces of the ripest bananas his eyes could find amongst the others and concealed it under his rugged leather cloak, careful not to make a scene before casually leaving the vicinity.

His attempt to steal was a success, or so he thought. As he walked away from the stall with a victorious grin on his face. Suddenly, a familiar voice began to yell behind him. "THIEF!" the merchant exclaimed, causing the boy to suddenly bolt away from his current calm state transitioning to a marketplace chase.

Da'Vost tapped his beak as he shuffled off of the ship, looking down at the ground as he was deep in thought. Taking on a pupil was no doubt going to be an undertaking in of itself, but the challenges of having such a rambunctious student were evident as can be. That coupled with whatever was weighing on Eirana was enough to get the old bird to feel somewhat off, calculating and pondering solutions to each complicated problem as he walked onto the pier. Before they officially set off he wished Valentina good fortune on her endeavors as well as good health to her mother, and he would have to beseech for the Aether to aid them in the next few days. The Fateseeker would wait on the arrival of the full moon to make the connection even stronger, as someone in such good spirits as the sailor woman deserved.

There was the slight need of some provisions as well. Though he had enough to subsist off of he thought he may use his extra funds to purchase a few more morsels and supplies. Da'Vost soon found himself in the marketplace, starting to speak to vendors about purchasing seeds, grain, and dried meats to partake of later. After that was sorted he would procure some additional supplies, namely a book and writing utensils for Lanya. Perhaps a spellbook for her to call her own and build upon over her years of study would be enough to reign in her focus. Knowing the utterlin it would need to be lightweight yet durable, and the Fateseeker hoped to find something worthy of the task, monetary costs of such a thing be damned.

He passed by a small gathering of people, transfixed upon a certain individual that whispered such strange things about them as if they weren't there. Puzzled, Da'Vost lingered for a bit as he towered over the crowd, looking between them and the sight they were gawking at: another demon. Intriguing to say the least, though perhaps unworthy of such a rude mass of onlookers following their every move. Unfortunately the Aervis could relate.

As the smaller red demon strolled past her, the taller dark skinned demon paused for a moment. She glanced back, turning a bit and peering over her shoulder at the red demon as she continued through the market streets. One of the Lusvon clan. Her eyes remained locked onto the demon for a few moments, and she considered speaking to the red demon, before eventually taking note of a small half-elf running from a fruit salesman further down the street. Petty thieves, a common sight in most civilized areas. She shook her head before glancing to the tall bird that strolled by. She didn't say anything as their eyes met, nor did her expression change. Still, it was an unusual sight to her. It wasn't often that she saw an Aervis, the last one being a monk or something three years prior.

She searched for the Lusvon demon once more, and when she finally saw her, she started walking. Fish slung over her shoulder onto her back, and poleaxe resting on her other shoulder. She was curious, really. Perhaps the Lusvon had knowledge on how things were back home? It had been quite a long time since she had a legitimate conversation with another demon.

At least, one that didn't end in a fight.

Hello, heading into market aswell?
"Aye, have a few things to pick up for supplies." He could hear his squire let out a yelp and then a thud as he fell on the floor. "Maybe pick up some ointments for bruises."
You don't mind me joining you to the marketplace I hope?
"There is no problem, friend. We can probably get things done quicker and better that way." The knight turned towards the market and started walking and leading the small group towards it.

At the same time, Pottrey got up from the fall he had received on account of his poor footing. He nodded as Arnas gave him advice. This wasn't the first time he had fallen, he doubted it would be the last. But there was a difference this time. He had someone who wasn't his knight watching and cheering him on. There was more pressure than usual. He wanted to stop, his mind raced to make an excuse, but he remembered what Waylond said to him. 'A knight is expected to answer the call, always. Every action we take will be observed and weighted by those around us. Once you get used to it, you learn to not only ignore it, but how to draw strength from it."

The squire sighed and prepared his stance again. He was ready for what would come next.

Zakala quickly noticed the grey demon now approaching her and readied herself for what could be an unpleasant conversation. "Can I, uh... help you?" she asked meekly and without directly looking at her.

---

Sparring Session (Round 2)
Pottrey - 4; Fail
This time, Pottrey was more successful in reacting to Arnas' strikes as the squire managed to block with his wooden shield properly. Seemed as though it started to go well for him, but it fell apart when Pottrey attempted a counterattack, which led to Arnas sidestepping quickly and causing Pottrey to stumble and fall over onto his hands and knees. Arnas helped the squire up again and chuckled, "See what I did there? Used your own movement against you. You can do that against an opponent as well." Arnas then set down his own training weapons and gave the squire a pat on the back. "Why don't we wrap it up for today, yeah? Plenty of more time to practice on the trip ahead."

---
Hughin by now was also purveying the busy marketplace, and noticed that a young man was practically sprinting away from someone. Probably a thief looking for a meal. A part of him wanted to trip him, but another felt the need to help the young man out of pity perhaps. And so, when the half-elf neared Hughin quickly pushed the man into a nearby alley and stood in front of it. Soon enough the shopkeep appeared around the corner, running as fast as he could. "Where's the thief?!" he cried out, looking around.

"I believe he went that way good sir." Hughin said, pointing to an indiscriminate direction which caused the shopkeep to quickly thank the mercenary before running off. Once the coast was clear, Hughin turned to the half-elf: "You really ought to get better at stealing, I hear they chop hands off in these parts." he spoke to the half-elf.

"T-Thanks..." The half-elf let out a nervous laugh along with his message of gratitude, still trying to catch his breath. "I'm not really familiar around these parts nor do I have the gold to survive so you really saved me back there." he replied whilst scratching the back of his head.

The boy hastily rummages his cloak checking to see if he still had his freshly thieved bananas. Upon further inspection, he lost 2 during the chase, leaving him with only a single piece.

“Wanna share it?” He asked, as he offered his last prize of success to his alleyway rescuer.

"I'm good." Hughin replied with a chuckle as he waved his hands, "Got plenty of food for myself anyhow." The man then took a look around outside the alley to make sure the coast was all clear before stepping out. "Say, what's your name kid? I'm Hughin."

"Your loss!" The boy replied with a grin on his face. "The name's Cain. I'm actually travelling around and looking for my father." He explained while chewing on his snack. "How about you? What are you up to around these parts?" He asked curiously.

"Can I, uh... help you?" she asked meekly and without directly looking at her.

The tall demon stopped, gazing down at the shorter demon. "Yes, demon of Lusvon." she said. "I am Drokos, outcast of Morganthi. I was curious as to if you had any news from our homelands." Her gaze was rather intense, grip on the shaft of her poleaxe quite tight. "It has been several years since I walked our lands, so I have little information in the ways of current events regarding our clans."

Last edited:
"On a job with my company, guarding a barge over yonder as it travels." Hughin replied, motioning behind him to the massive vessel that is currently docked at one of the piers.

---

"Well you're shit out of luck then. I haven't been home in years." Zakala replied, now turning to face the newcomer. Up close, she was much shorter than the fellow demon in front of her and as such felt a bit intimidated being so close. "I've been busy working with a mercenary company."

"I've been busy working with a mercenary company."

A mercenary company? Drokos cocked her eyebrow. "...Is your group hiring?" she asked. "...My clan lineage speaks for itself. I'm talented with a variety of weapons, and in frontline combat." Really, she needed coin. She was running low on gold chunks, procured from a job she took a month prior to clear a mine of a few nasty beasties.

"I'm... not sure. You'd have to speak with Hughin, my boss, about that." Zakala replied, looking around for any indication of the man. He was quite a ways off in the distance, speaking to a young half-elf it seemed. And so, Zakala pointed straight to him and turned her gaze onto the demon in front of her. "Over there."

Drokos glanced over in the direction that Zakala pointed, taking note of the man talking to the small half-elf. She then nodded when Zakala looked back to her. "Thank you." she said simply, before walking away. Off into cluster of people in the market street, and directly towards Hughin and the half-elf. There was a bit more gawking from the humans that were in the street, watching her as she moved through them. And once she arrived at Hughin, she spoke. "I've been told that I should speak with you regarding joining your mercenary company." she said, eyeing the man before glancing down at the small half-elf.

As Drokos walked off, Zakala let out a sigh of relief as she quickly walked off back to the barge. That went well. she thought to herself as she made her way below deck to sulk. In the meantime, Hughin noticed the new demon approaching and turned his attention away from Cain for the time being: "Ah, what a coincidence then eh?" he said, giving the half-elf a smirk. "Ay. I'm Hughin of Hughin's Helldogs. And you're in luck, we just had a recent departure and so happens we have a spare space." Hughin then looked over the demon, especially her weaponry and gave a chuckle. "I can tell you're well armed for such an occasion."

"I can tell you're well armed for such an occasion."

Drokos nodded. "A demon of Morganthi is never without a proper weapon." she replied. "I am Drokos, daughter of Solvinnik. An Ironskin, and outcast of Morganthi." She lowered her poleaxe to her side. "I am experienced in a variety of weaponry, from daggers to pikes. My preference is polearms. I also have experience in frontline combat. I am sure you'll have plenty of use for me."

Last edited:
"Hah, then welcome aboard!" Hughin spoke with outspread arms, "The barge we're working on is over there. We'll be setting sail by the evening, so don't tarry too long." Hughin pointed towards the barge docked at one of the piers currently. "If anyone asks, tell them I sent you."

As the group headed into the now quite busy market, Eidunn found herself drawn to every stall and shop front, each small trinket or exotic fruit drawing her attention. She found herself drawn to a rather ornate looking silver... 'thing'? She had no idea what it was, but if the price wasn't too outrageous, she had enough funds to indulge herself.

"Excuse me sir?" She asked, leaning over towards who she assumed owned the stall. "How much for this?" She asked, dangling the silver object from its chain.

Vendor Stall [Eidunn]
Eidunn - 7; Minor success.
The stall that Eidunn found herself in was owned by an older gentleman with a velvet trimmed hat which bore two peacock feathers on its top. "Ah, a customer!" he said with a thick accent, where from exactly was up in the air. "A good piece you have there! I'll part it for only 10 gold coin. It'll help you stay safe!" he then spoke with a toothy grin, splaying his arms outwards in a grandiose fashion.

Vendor Stall [Da'Vost]
Da'Vost - 6; Minor success.
Upon perusing the markets and stores, Da'Vost managed to eye a small bookstore of sorts which displayed a variety of tomes and grimoires within its many shelves and on its window display. After observing the grey demon for a bit, he made his way inside and managed to find a book small enough that Lanya would properly carry onto and hold. The materials that comprised it seemed sturdy enough, and so seemed to be worth the small asking price for it.

"Ah, greetings!" a voice rang from the counter, eminating from a stout dwarven woman wearing simple clothes and a small cloak. "Ye lookin' fer a book, tome, or something more?" she asked inquisitively with a smile.

"Understood. Thank you." responded Drokos, nodding at Hughin before looking towards the barge. She took one last glance down at the half-elf, before turning about and strolling back down the market's street towards the end of the pier. She had done her shopping for the day, having had her weapon sharpened and buying the three fish she was carrying about. She moved down the dock, before eventually reaching the ramp onto the barge and walking up it onto the deck.

With their arrival at the marketplace, Aureal separated from the group to do his own errands. First and foremost, he needed his leather armor fixed with some fine leather work. Looking around the market, the elf pulled his hood tighter and moved swiftly, careful not to bump into anyone. The streets were full of life, and with every person going about their day. Merchants shepherding people, preaching that their fruits and livestock were the best in the land, while some offered their newfound trinkets and relics, claiming that it offers the wearer good luck and protection, which piqued Aureal's interest. But alas, Aureal continued onward amidst the haggling civilians and old gossiping housewives. He will return once he has someone to fix his armor.

After some walking, a tanning hide caught his eyes and he was led to the front of an establishment. Various armor were displayed at the front with their prices out for everyone to see. It's quite expensive, but I guess the price is an indicator of its quality. Hopefully I can haggle for less since I just need some minor fixing. The elf thought before calling out to whoever owns the place, asking how much will it cost to get his armor mended and how long it'll take.

“A job you say? Mind if I tag along?” Cain asked. “I don’t look that much but I’m proficient enough with my rapier and I’ve got a few magic up my sleeves as well.” He followed, whilst revealing his silver rapier under his cloak. “

Cain then looked at the tall demon walking away after her discussion with Hughin, “That’s some competition ain’t it?” he said nervously.

Da'Vost stood by the two demons as they conversed, questioning where the proceedings may go and remaining observant. Though he could not hear them the two of them parted ways as the grey one went in search of something. Thankful to see that there had not been an altercation despite such palpable tension, the Aervis proceeded on his way in search of what he was looking for. His food stuffs were relatively easy to procure and purchase, and after his pouches were full of those rations he moved on in search of the book. In time, he found himself at a bookstore that appeared to have precisely what he needed.

"Ah, yes hello." Da'Vost greeted back with a nod, soon stepping in further to gesture at the book that had caught his eye. "The tome I see before me is blank, yes? If so I can see potential within it and hope to purchase it." the Fateseeker explained.

Eidunn took another look at the silver object, watching as it slowly spun around the small chain. "Ok, 10 gold pieces," She said, as she rummaged through the cloak pocket, drawing out the 10 gold. As she handed over the money, she slung the metal pendant over her neck, stepping away from the stall and back out into the market. as she walked down the street, Eidunn couldn't draw her eyes away from her recent purchase, watching as the light shimmered of some of the more delicately engraved sections. Great, was your little pendant worth the money you just blew?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back