News are any of yall worried about Ukraine?

Putin is obviously trying to save the world from the globohomo jewish shapeshifting lizard elites by bombing ukrainian orphanages and maternity hospitals
I know I shouldn't be laughing, but LOL. Some of the alt-right unironically believes this. They actually believe the war is an anti-globalist and anti-degeneracy one. They love Russia precisely because it arrests LGBTQA+ people instead of allowing them to express themselves freely.

I know I shouldn't be laughing, but LOL. Some of the alt-right unironically believes this. They actually believe the war is an anti-globalist and anti-degeneracy one. They love Russia precisely because it arrests LGBTQA+ people instead of allowing them to express themselves freely.
It's staggeringly stupid. Then again, I am a CIA plant.

Gotta be contrarian!

Ukraine isn't perfect, but Russia is very obviously a fascist shithole.
Sounds right to me, lmao. I have been watching Russian TV since this whole fiasco started (don't ask me why, apparently I just love suffering) and it's basically a Russian AU of Goebbel's speeches.

Thank you Ozron so much for the one's clearing up what's true and what's false. It's genuinely scary that opinions turn into facts in something like this. This is where I sort of wish RPN pushed sources in deep thread topics like this. That way no one is drowning in false information. And I mean like I would only believe well-sourced information. Most often that comes from the people involved or struggling through this war.
It gets very scary when people have something to say so fiercely without a source to back it up.

Last edited:
This is where I sort of wish RPN pushed sources in deep thread topics like this. That way no one is drowning in false information.
This is not something that this platform is responsible for (it’s not going to showcase deep political alignments). Everyone is responsible for checking resources and information on their own as it’s good to practice this habit in general when you find news on the internet.

This is not something that this platform is responsible for (it’s not going to showcase deep political alignments). Everyone is responsible for checking resources and information on their own as it’s good to practice this habit in general when you find news on the internet.
Edited grammar oops:
I know RPN doesn't do this nor are they responsible. I just really appreciate it when sites do this. This was the point I was making.
That's the only point. I enjoy RPN very much. Thank you for clarifying though. I am in no way saying RPN is responsible for the opinions of people. Or even fact-checking. Just sort of spouting wishful thinking. Like I said before I truly enjoy this site very much. It has good people and good role plays.

My post is just my feeling in the moment and never ever meant to offend this wonderful site which is run by good people.

Last edited:
I'ma start doing updates on the war if no one minds it:

Ukraine Has Launched Counteroffensives, Reportedly Surrounding 10,000 Russian Troops
As the Ukrainians close in on the Russians from the west while maintaining a strong defensive line to the east, they’re creating a pocket, surrounding the very Russian vanguard that, just a couple weeks earlier, had threatened to surround Kyiv.

This pocket, reportedly containing around 10,000 Russian troops from the 35th and 36th CAAs, is extremely vulnerable. As the Russians run out of food and ammunition, they may begin surrendering en masse—or risk annihilation.

So I live in a country that's mostly trilingual, bilingual at the least. And for the longest time, most of the media I've consumed has been in English. Recently though, I've made an active effort to read in the vernacular. It was my impression and I think this is true for the most part - that the news in regional languages focused more on the provincial, day-to-day aspects of life. A scandal in the city's municipal corporation, a piece about the lack of good public transport etc. Of course, like all newspapers, there'd be a section set aside for International news, but it was always like one page, with half of the page taken up by an ad. It felt as though they just did it to keep up appearances, and to fill up some extra space (Oh and yes, we still get newspapers delivered home, I've heard that's a bit uncommon nowadays). I think Covid-19 changed all that, everyone had to have a section set aside to record the daily tally of cases. Reporting without borders, sort of became necessary I suppose. The conflict in Ukraine, benefited from that, in terms of coverage. Then there's the fact that Europe still enjoys a lot of cultural capital, I'm sure everyone's seen the clips of reporters saying something along the lines of "this isn't happening in a third-world country" and being rightfully flamed for that. Lastly, and I think I might be being a bit cynical, but the conflict is being treated as something of a high-stakes geopolitical football match, at least in places where it has little to no effect. To illustrate all of the things I've been rambling about, here's the editorial page from a Bengali language newspaper, from just last week.
D9377954-C060-4297-8AAF-F11FDFD5CCF2.jpeg
Anyways, I hope all this is of some interest to you guys, sorry for not having much to add about the effects and implications of the war. Hopefully, things return to normal soon and the people displaced by the violence can return back to their homes.

Last edited:
So I live in a country that's mostly trilingual, bilingual at the least. And for the longest time, most of the media I've consumed has been in English. Recently though, I've made an active effort to read in the vernacular. It was my impression and I think this is true for the most part - that the news in regional languages focused more on the provincial, day-to-day aspects of life. A scandal in the city's municipal corporation, a piece about the lack of good public transport etc. Of course, like all newspapers, there'd be a section set aside for International news, but it was always like one page, with half of the page taken up by an ad. It felt as though they just did it to keep up appearances, and to fill up some extra space (Oh and yes, we still get newspapers delivered home, I've heard that's a bit uncommon nowadays). I think Covid-19 changed all that, everyone had to have a section set aside to record the daily tally of cases. Reporting without borders, sort of became necessary I suppose. The conflict in Ukraine, benefited from that, in terms of coverage. Then there's the fact that Europe still enjoys a lot of cultural capital, I'm sure everyone's seen the clips of reporters saying something along the lines of "this isn't happening in a third-world country" and being rightfully flamed for that. Lastly, and I think I might be being a bit cynical, but the conflict is being treated as something of a high-stakes geopolitical football match, at least in places where it has little to no effect. To illustrate all of the things I've been rambling about, here's the editorial page from a Bengali language newspaper, from just last week.
Anyways, I hope all this is of some interest to you guys, sorry for not having much to add about the effects and implications of the war. Hopefully, things return to normal soon and the people displaced by the violence can return back to their homes.
Fear not, aside from the specifics of which battles are raging where, and whose missiles are landing on whose army, all the terms have already been spoken, and the conflict itself covered. I find your reflection as to how self-perceived distance from conflict shelters one from the ramifications of the situation in and of itself, whether physical or metaphysical, notable. One can think up a divide between two minds vaster than any ocean, across any world, in any part of the universe. All it needs is fuel, differences, and the divide will build itself, lest one fights it. Unfortunately, Ukraine is very close to the "West-" such a ludicrous phrase but alas- and on the precipice of Europe. It will, needless to state, invite endless amounts of anxiety from their readers. And news are both obligated to make as much as they can, so as to increase their reader totals for income, all the whilst perhaps fiddling slightly with the moral obligations of how to report a war. I will state slightly, for it appears quite common that reporters are more than willing to step the line between good and bad.

At this point, the war in Ukraine has become so bogged down in zealotry and struggle that the destruction occuring seems a part of everyday life for the common newsreader. How freightening the mind can be, repeat words and they lose all intended meaning; "emotional overload." I find no issue dealing with such occurences, but the vastest swathe of people no doubt would be affected in some manner imperceivable yet noticable enough to cause change. As it stands, Putin will not surrender. Under any circumstance, and so it is up to Ukraine to submit, cede the two regions they've not controlled in a decade, and be shoved beneath the sway of central european powers. It is no fairy tale, but it is hardly a dream which they now flee from, and fight tooth and nail for rubble and cracked asphalt. The chance for a happy ending vanished into the mist the moment war began.

I heard that Russia has now largely given up on trying to conquer Ukraine as a whole and is now focusing on trying to "liberate" the Donbas region.

In the aftermath of the Bucha massacre, I thought some of you would like to read this - it's translation of a Russian propagandist article called "What should Russia do with Ukraine." If you don't believe its accuracy for some reason, google the original and run it through Google Translate. You know, just so all of us can acknowledge what we're dealing with here.

I heard that Russia has now largely given up on trying to conquer Ukraine as a whole and is now focusing on trying to "liberate" the Donbas region.
Not surprised. Ukraine held Russia at bay for nearly the entirety of the war.

Russia has pretty much proven that massacring civilians is all they're capable of. Pathetic.

Also, some memes re: the Finland/Sweden NATO thing:

FQSyL-bXsAApKSq.jpeg
FQSx3egXoAEDPSa.jpeg

And the best part of all of this, one reason why Russia is failing so hard, is because almost all of Putin's generals are yes-men. They don't want to get him angry or say something that could threaten their jobs and lives, so they're lying to him, telling him victories when it's actually failures. It's hilarious. That's one issue with dictatorships.

And the best part of all of this, one reason why Russia is failing so hard, is because almost all of Putin's generals are yes-men. They don't want to get him angry or say something that could threaten their jobs and lives, so they're lying to him, telling him victories when it's actually failures. It's hilarious. That's one issue with dictatorships.
Yeah, this is like Stalin all over again. The guy also died in part because his subordinates were too afraid to check on him. 'Dictatorships are more efficient' my ass; that's pure fanfiction written by people who are afraid of making their own choices.

I am worried about russophobia rising, something I'm already seeing. Due to Russia's actions, it's having a horrible effect on how the average person views Russians in general. I spoke with someone in a forum discussing this topic, and he said it's better to never trust a Russian at all, something I strongly disagree with. I'm primarily worried about the rise of russophobia in my nation, the United States.

Also, another thing. I'd like to get other people's opinions on this. A few days ago, on a forum, there was this huge debate on what we should do with Russian soldiers and Russian POWs after the war ends. Some people said that we should bring them on trial and find evidence to see what crimes have been committed. And a few other people disagree, saying we should execute every single Russian soldier. Please note, that this was right after Bucha, so many people had very strong emotions about this and wanted revenge.

The side that wanted soldiers to be on trial in international courts argued that executing every Russian soldier was itself, a war crime. That we shouldn't commit war crimes ourselves, even if Russia has done so. They also pointed out that not every soldier committed a war crime, so it would be unfair to kill everyone.

The side that wanted mass executions argued that many soldiers have committed horrible acts, such as raping women and children. Attacking and killing civilians, etc. They also argued that even the innocent soldiers must be executed because they didn't stop their comrades and because they haven't deserted the army. They also said that executing the Russian soldiers would send a message to their families back home.

These were the main arguments used and I just like to see what everyone else here thinks about it. Oh, and if anyone is curious, I support sending Russian war criminals to the courts.

I am worried about russophobia rising, something I'm already seeing. Due to Russia's actions, it's having a horrible effect on how the average person views Russians in general. I spoke with someone in a forum discussing this topic, and he said it's better to never trust a Russian at all, something I strongly disagree with. I'm primarily worried about the rise of russophobia in my nation, the United States.

Also, another thing. I'd like to get other people's opinions on this. A few days ago, on a forum, there was this huge debate on what we should do with Russian soldiers and Russian POWs after the war ends. Some people said that we should bring them on trial and find evidence to see what crimes have been committed. And a few other people disagree, saying we should execute every single Russian soldier. Please note, that this was right after Bucha, so many people had very strong emotions about this and wanted revenge.

The side that wanted soldiers to be on trial in international courts argued that executing every Russian soldier was itself, a war crime. That we shouldn't commit war crimes ourselves, even if Russia has done so. They also pointed out that not every soldier committed a war crime, so it would be unfair to kill everyone.

The side that wanted mass executions argued that many soldiers have committed horrible acts, such as raping women and children. Attacking and killing civilians, etc. They also argued that even the innocent soldiers must be executed because they didn't stop their comrades and because they haven't deserted the army. They also said that executing the Russian soldiers would send a message to their families back home.

These were the main arguments used and I just like to see what everyone else here thinks about it. Oh, and if anyone is curious, I support sending Russian war criminals to the courts.
The russophobia thing is... complicated. I think it's more nuanced than 'every Russian bad,' but also more messy than 'the average Russian has nothing to do with what's happening.' Keep in mind that I am not American, and am speaking as a fellow Slav living in a Slavic country. My views are informed by this.

So, keeping that in mind: I think the average Russian is responsible, in the same way the average German was responsible for Hitler. I'm not saying they are all mass murerers or evil or something like that, but the vast, vast majority are complicit, if only because they avoid thinking about politics. They just want to be left alone, and that resulted in their political scene being what it is. After WWII, Germans were forced to confront the horrors they caused. Nothing like that EVER happened in Russia. They are still denying that there was the Ribbentrop-Molotov pact, or that Stalin caused Holodomor in Ukraine, or that they were responsible for the Katyň massacre. It's all lies, lies, lies, nothing but lies. Always has been. I think that the Russian society is profoundly sick and needs to acknowledge its crimes, like Germany did, to move forward.

Of course, that doesn't excuse biases and treating Russians like they're less than human. Good and bad individuals exist everywhere. At the same time, though? It's hard to say there isn't anything pathological in their culture, because that's plain for everyone to see.

Re: the POW thing... that's a difficult thing to speak about. In an ideal world, they would be tried (and it's what I would want for them), but I cannot say I don't understand those who only want to offer them a bullet. Especially if they are related to the civilian victims.

Russophobia already is rising, and that was one thing I was worried about when initially posting in this thread. A Russian-American friend of mine has lost his job due to being Russian. His employer didn't explicitly state that was the reason, but instead deemed him a "security threat". This friend of mine does not even support the war or Putin. He also generally doesn't get in trouble at work so it's blatantly obvious what his employer was thinking.

This is just one example of many, too. I think only reason I've avoided it so far is because my family was Anglicized upon coming to Canada. Most people don't even know I'm of Russian and Ukrainian descent until I tell them (or some pick it up themselves because apparently I "look Ukrainian", whatever that means).

Bit late to the discussion here, but I'd like to say that I'm... not optimistic necessarily, but it's going nowhere near as badly as I was dreading. Russia isn't winning - and right now that's all I can ask for. Their economy recently imploded after tough sanctions and (maybe?) debt defaulting, more and more war crimes are being uncovered every day, and public opinion of pretty much everywhere except Putin's closest allies is strongly with Ukraine. I think we're in the middle of a giant experiment of conventional warfare between two European powers in the 21st century, and that experiment is either going to quietly subside into an echo or get very exciting in the next month or so.

But, we're about 2 months in and Ukraine is still a country. I feel like that's all the good news I need for right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back